Navel Pain - What is it?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Navel Pain - What is it?

Hi, I have a been experiencing pain in my navel for about two weeks now.  It's happened once in the past (3 months ago?), but I thought it was caused by wearing jeans that were too tight (the button pressing into my abdomen in the belly button area).  The pain went away and I didn't think twice about it afterwards.

The pain returned about two weeks ago.  It's not intense, but more like an uncomfortable "pressure."  It occurs if I bend over, lean forward, or stretch.  It also occurs while lying in bed, if I turn over to lay on either side.  If my waistband touches my navel, or if I brush against it by accident, it hurts.

There is no discharge or bad smell coming from my abdomen.  I'm pretty sure it's not appendicitis (since I've had this for weeks now with no severe complications).  However, when I try to look inside my navel (I have an innie), it appears to be swollen in the lower part of the navel.  I pressed on it yesterday and it was firm (not rock hard) and caused discomfort.

Does anyone have any idea of what this may be?  I was going to go to my doctor last week, but it felt like it was going away so I cancelled the appointment.  Now it's back and seems like it's getting worse.  Any help will be appreciated - thanks!
could it be infected? that can happen. maybe gently clean w. a cotton ball/q-tip and alcohol? what about a pimple, ingrown hair in there? can that happen? i would imagine it hurts since its such a sensitive area. make another appointment.
sounds alot like an umbilical hernia. press your hand firmly on your belly button and bear down like your having a bowel movement, sometimes you will be able to feel it "pop" against your hand. i have had 4 in the past 2 years and let me tell ya they are no fun.
I went to my OBGYN yesterday and she said it's not an umbilical hernia (which I was afraid of).  She said an umbilical hernia would be pretty obvious.  She referred me to 3 other IM physicians; the only reason I went to my OBGYN was because the first general practitioner I called told me to go see my OBGYN - go figure.

So I'm hoping that it's just a pimple or even an infection that I can cure w/antibiotics - it's better than some of the other stuff I've been reading.  I think I'll clean it everyday, give it 'til Monday and if it's still not gone, I'll go to the doc again.

Meanwhile, if there are any other theories out there, please feel free to share them w/me.  Thanks!
I am having the exact same pain you are describing.  It is not painful enough to run to the ER, but I made an appointment for Thursday.  It is very strange.  It hurts the most when I push in the innie and right above it.  My stomach also feels a bit bloated and I feel a little sick to my stomach, not bad, just uncomfortable.  I also thought of a hernia???  I guess I'll find out more when I go to the doc.
Did you get any answers - I'm in the same situation - have been to the reg doc and OB.
I just saw a new doctor yesterday.  He said it's a type of umbilical hernia.  It does not protrude - in this case it's a small hole.  It is changing the shape of the skin around my navel.
I see a surgeon next week.
you're not alone! I'm feeling the same symptoms and keep reading everywhere that it sounds like an umbilical hernia. I'm a little nervous because I hear the surgery is not fun and leaves a scar. Has anyone had it done? If so, what's it like? How long does it take? Can you go back to normal living soon after? Painful? and does it leave a scar?

Thanks!
I recently found out that I have a hernia in my belly button.  I have major chest pain, and feel like something is blocking my airway in my esophogus.  Saw the doctor and she said I probably have acid reflux, and to take some otc drug for it and to come back in two wks.  She never even acknowledge the hernia.  When I asked what about the hernia, and can it be related she said no....I then told her that I think I should have the hernia fixed, and she was hesittant to give me a referral for it.  She said she will check with my
insurance and then mail me the referral for a general surgeons office to see my hernia.
Was I blown off?  Can the acid reflux symtoms (symptoms) be related to my hernia?
hey guys

ive been to two docters now and none can seem to get to the bottom of this navel pain of mine.  they've pretty much ruled out a navel hernia, and i've had an ultra sound done - which they saw nothing.

symptoms are a raw pain on the bottom right side of my navel and as i push my finger on it it hurts more.  it comes and goes probably a month with and two months without pain - been going on for almost 2 years now.  it doesnt ooze uncontrolably but it does build up a bit of brown stuff and it can smell badly if i dont clean it once a week.

the pain intensifies if i feel bloated, or if my bladder is full, or even when im hungry.  The weird part is as it intensifies i start to get this very anxious and depressed feeling.  

i had an operation a few years back for an ovarian cyst, it left me with a scar the length of my belly and a bit more - dont know if that has anything to do with the curent problem.

please someone put me out of my misery - can anyone help me?
I have had navel pain too, for the past couple of years off and on. I notice the pain more at night while i'm sleeping. It usually wakes me up. I'm going For a ultrasound this week they to think it's a hernia. Have you asked about scar tissue from your operation. can that be it?
I have been having the same thing the last few days and it's really bothering me.  Mine is also the right side of my navel almost in the inside wall area.  I thought I felt a small lump the other day but then when I tried to find it I couldn't.  I also get that bloated stomach feeling but I'm not bloated at all and it's not "gas" as someone suggested, it's just the random pain when I sit down and bend at the stomach, or turn like someone else mentioned.  I was getting very anxious that it might be a stomach aneursym b/c I had read that somewhere but I don't have insurance and am afraid to have to go to the ER and pay and arm an a leg later.  I'm going to make an appointment with my primary if it's still bothering me on mon b/c it really is freaking me out! It sucks that it hurts to move normally.  Not to offend, but are any of you over weight? I am and I noticed a pain around my navel before but just thought it was from gaining a lot of weight and with everything stretching and whatnot... I also considered it might be that condition where your fatcells harder, I forget the term.  At least I feel better knowing I'm not alone in this affliction... I'll come back and let everyone know what my doc says (god willing it's nothing serious and can wait a few more days!)
hello,
i want to reason about pain in navel of sister.most of time she suffered from hernia of navel. last year she had gone under surgery of intistine.after that she has suffered pointed pain in navel which is unbearable.can u help me to know exact reason of this type of suffering.
my email address: satyendra_dewagan***@****, ***@****
hello,

i have navel pain too, but my gp always said it was nothing. i am having it at the moment and its the same symptoms to what have being mentioned. what do you think i can do?
I've been feeling pains in my navel too. It started years ago but it was on and off. It came back last week but a little more intense than usual. Then it went away. It hurts more when i touch it, bend over and even when i get hungry.

It got so bad one night that i was awaken from my sleep but i couldn't move. i had to stay curled up like a ball so i wouldn't hurt. I couldn't even walk. My b/f had 2 carry me to the car n then he took me to the ER. The doc said it was a hernia..

I received 2 injections 4 the pain and I'm currently on some meds. The pain comes back every now n again but since i've been on the meds, it hasn't been too bad. I do surgery in 10 days..

I'll let u guys know how it goes..
I too am having the same symptoms as all the above and wondering how everyone came out...if it was a hernia and anyone had surgery?  Mine is so off and on right now that I haven't made an appointment yet to see the doctor.  Sometimes it seems to be related to having pain in my back as well (which I have often).  It is just weird that it's around the belly button and it's a sharp, short lived pain.  Let me know if you have anything to add.
Thanks.
I also get a navel pain from time to time. It usually only last a day or two at a time and is sporadic throughout the day. It's a really sharp, intense shooting pain. Almost like someone is pulling your bellybutton in from your inside. Or like someone is stabbing you there. Sometimes it hurts so bad it takes my breath away. It most often occurs when I'm sleeping or just waking up. I go to roll over and out of nowhere it hurts. Or when I go to sit or bend over. Another weird thing that happens to me is that it hurts in my bellybutton when I pee. And it sometimes hurt like in my uterus too. Weird...I know. I've never been to the doctor for it because it always goes away but it really is annoying and I'd like to know what's going on. For peace of mind.
Hello.
I have been researching this navel thing for years. I have always had a strange connection inside of my navel. I have experienced all if not more of the symptoms I have read above. I have suffered from endometriosis since the age of 16.
These are the things I have discovered over my many years of research and self evaluation.

1. The navel appears to be connected to other points in the body. Almost like the reflexology points that can be found in the hands, earlobes and feet.
2. The navel is a source of healing for me now. If i have pain ANYWHERE in my body, there is a point in my navel that coresponds with the pain. Specifically related to digestive issues.
3. I also have Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Certain foods and drinks irritate this condition more than others, and I always feel extra pressure inside the navel area.
4. I have found that by gently massaging the navel in a circular motion and breathing into the area...conscious focused breaths, will "release" or move any pain or discomfort you may be feeling.  
5. I have found that I can sense or feel my boyfriends pain through my navel. For example..he cut his finger and had severe throbbing pain. I felt the same throbbing sensation in my navel.  When he would gently insert his finger into my navel and feel around until he found the spot and it would releave the throbbing in his finger as well as the navel throbbing.

Its the weirdest thing ever and doctors seem to not have a clue on it. I am constantly searching online to see if anyone else has had a similar experience, and I have had no luck.

The navel can also be a pleasure pot as well. Circular massage motions can also relax my entire body and send vibrations to my clitoris area.
I will be overjoyed if any one else out there has this type of connection with the navel.
as for the sharp pain..it comes more when Its closer to my period or I ovulate..and if my stress level is higher. It can sometimes be so intense that I can only curl up in a ball or get into a hot tub of water. that helps immediately.

I figure the  navel is a healing point for me..and I continue to explore and look to gain further understanding of it.
I am having the same symptoms as the first post describes. It's a very severe, sharp pain that is constant and has been going on for the past week. It is interesting to see someone else mentioned having surgery for an ovarian cyst, since I had surgery for ovarian cancer about 15 years ago. I have a scar that runs from my pelvic bone up to my belly button. It stops about a 1/2 inch from my bb. I've never had this pain before, though I have always been incredibly sensitive in my bb. My stomach is also pretty bloated right now. I can't imagine it's a hernia since nothing is pushing out. My bb is very deep and when I look in there (the best I can since it hurts to bend over) it looks black, like there's a hole. Maybe my vision is just wrong. I hope so. This is really freaking me out!! I'm terrified to go to a doctor, because I know they will poke around in there and the thought of that makes me squeamish, from head to toe. I think they'll have to knock me out if they want to stick any thing in there!!! Could it be a hernia, if there is nothing pushing out and the bb is very deep? I thought hernias were when the inside comes out. That is definitely not happening here.
Please help!!!
Well its been almost a year since i posted my comment and still i'm no closer to knowing the pain behind my navel.  I had a hernia operation in July last year and i thought this was going to work because the pain went away, however two weeks later it was back again.  When the Dr spoke to me he said he found a small hole but was suprised that it could cause any pain.  Well Doc i guess that might not have been the cause of the pain.  
The pain unfortunatley has intensified and now theres a wierd growth inside my navel kinda like sores.  so i saw the Dr today and without much effort at all he determined i have some kind of infection, so hopefully thats the answer to my 3 years of pain - antibiotics.  Something tells me it's not going to do the trick but i'll keep you'll posted.  
I too have been having navel pain. I went to the hospital because I couldnt breathe. Having an asthma attack I thought. Turns out I have bronchitis. While I was there the doctor asked me if I have been having navel pain. I said no. I have diverticulitis and I have pain from that as well as tube issues and pain from that.. scarring or something. Anyway, he gives me an Rx ( antibiotic and sends me home). Two days later I start having Navel Pain! Severe sharp navel pain that goes to pelvis and sometimes to the left side...so I was researching an found this site..I also found mayo clinic online and this is what I foung there regarding navel pain.. four possibilities it appears. So I am posting it for all of you here instead of everyone doing the research.. here you go, hope it helps!
As for me Im going to the hospital again and let them run some tests.. wish I could find the E.R. doctor again and find out what he thinks, he was great!

Signs and symptoms of autoimmune hepatitis can range from minor to severe and may come on suddenly or develop over time. Some people have few, if any, problems in the early stages of the disease, whereas others experience signs and symptoms that may include:

Anemia
Fatigue
Abdominal discomfort
Joint aches (arthralgias)
Itching (pruritus)
Yellowing of the skin and whites of the eyes (jaundice)
An enlarged liver
Abnormal blood vessels on the skin (spider angiomas)
Nausea and vomiting
Liver scarring (cirrhosis)
Fluid in the abdomen (ascites)
Mental confusion
It's common for people with autoimmune hepatitis to have other autoimmune disorders, such as:

Hemolytic anemia, which occurs when red blood cells are destroyed faster than bone marrow can replace them
Chronic inflammation of the thyroid gland (thyroiditis)
Inflammation of the colon (ulcerative colitis)
Diabetes
Dry eyes and mouth (Sjogren's syndrome)
Celiac sprue, a condition that damages the small intestine and leads to an inability to absorb certain nutrients
----------------------------------------------
Endometriosis can be mild, moderate or severe, and without treatment, it tends to get worse over time. Some women with endometriosis have no signs and symptoms at all, and the disease is discovered only when bits of endometrial tissue (implants) are found outside the uterus during an unrelated operation, such as a tubal ligation. Other women may experience one or more of the following signs and symptoms:

Painful periods (dysmenorrhea). Pelvic pain and cramping may begin before and extend several days into your period and may include lower back and abdominal pain. Severity of pain isn't necessarily a reliable indicator of the extent of the condition. Some women with mild endometriosis have intense pain, while others with more severe scarring may have little pain or even no pain at all.
Pelvic pain at other times. You may experience pelvic pain during ovulation, a sharp pain deep in the pelvis during intercourse, or pain during bowel movements or urination.
Excessive bleeding. You may experience occasional heavy periods (menorrhagia) or bleeding between periods (menometrorrhagia).
Infertility. Endometriosis is first diagnosed in some women who are seeking treatment for infertility.
Endometriosis is sometimes mistaken for other conditions that can cause pelvic pain, such as pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) or ovarian cysts. It may be confused with irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), a condition that causes bouts of diarrhea, constipation and abdominal cramping. IBS can accompany endometriosis, which can complicate the diagnosis.

When to see a doctor
See your doctor if you have signs and symptoms that may indicate endometriosis. The cause of chronic or severe pelvic pain may be difficult to pinpoint. But discovering the problem early may help you avoid unnecessary complications and pain.

-----------------------------------------------

unbilical hernia causes.. not too much info on symptoms

In adults, too much abdominal pressure can cause an umbilical hernia. Possible culprits include:

Obesity
Heavy lifting
Coughing
Multiple pregnancies
Fluid in the abdominal cavity (ascites)
----------------------------
Appendicitis is a condition in which your appendix becomes inflamed and filled with pus. Your appendix is a finger-shaped pouch that projects out from your colon on the lower right side of your abdomen. This small structure has no known essential purpose, but that doesn't mean it can't cause problems.

The main symptom of appendicitis is pain that typically begins around your navel and then shifts to your lower right abdomen. The pain of appendicitis usually increases over a period of six to 12 hours, and eventually may become very severe.

Anyone can develop appendicitis, but it most often strikes people between the ages of 10 and 30. The standard treatment for appendicitis is surgical removal of the appendix.

SYMTOMS (symptoms) OF APPENDISITIS (appendicitis)

Early on, the most common symptom is an aching pain around your navel that often shifts later to your lower right abdomen.
As the inflammation spreads to nearby tissues, the pain may become sharper and more severe.
Eventually, the pain tends to settle in your lower right abdomen — near your appendix at what's known as McBurney point. This point is about halfway between your navel and the top of your right pelvic bone.

But the location of your pain may vary, depending on your age and the position of your appendix. Young children or pregnant women, especially, may have appendicitis pain in different places.

What makes pain worse
If you apply gentle pressure to the area that hurts, it will feel tender. As you release the pressure, especially if you do it suddenly, appendicitis pain often will feel worse (rebound tenderness). It will also tend to get worse if you cough, walk or make other jarring movements. This is particularly true if the inflamed appendix is touching the peritoneum — the silk-like membrane that lines the inner abdominal wall and enfolds the intestines. The pain may lessen somewhat if you lie on your side and pull your knees up toward your chest.

Symptoms other than pain
In addition to pain, you may have one or more of the following appendicitis symptoms:

Nausea and sometimes vomiting
Loss of appetite
A low-grade fever that starts after other symptoms appear
Constipation
An inability to pass gas
Diarrhea
Abdominal swelling
---------------------------------------------------

I was researching because I have navel pain past few days and found this stuff on mayoclinic.com...

Hope it helps you too.

Anemia
Fatigue
Abdominal discomfort
Joint aches (arthralgias)
Itching (pruritus)
An enlarged liver
Nausea and vomiting
Liver scarring (cirrhosis)
Fluid in the abdomen (ascites)
Mental confusion

Diabetes
Dry eyes and mouth (Sjogren's syndrome)

When to see a doctor

Obesity
Heavy lifting
Coughing
Multiple pregnancies
Fluid in the abdominal cavity (ascites)
----------------------------

What makes pain worse

Symptoms other than pain

Nausea and sometimes vomiting
Loss of appetite
Constipation
An inability to pass gas
Diarrhea
Abdominal swelling
I too have navel pain.  A book on the Meyr diet (a rather old edition from the 1980s) notes that pain behind the belly button is just an indication that the digestive system is not working properly.  This is particularly if the pain arises when you are hungry.  Candida can also be implicated.  Since half the planet has candida (most of them in Western nations) - the chances are high that candida is cause in many instances.  I mentioned it to my gastro-enterologist but he wasn't interested and had nothing to offer.  I'm doing colon cleanses. taking digestive enzymes and following an anti-candida diet and it has definitely been better.
i have been have the same pain around my navel but it only come when my period coming on and it will be there tell its but a week after it over can someone tell me what they think it is please
This does not sound good. I am beginning to feel that I am in for some trouble. I have navel pains too and I too have been avoiding the doctor cause it did not last long  each time. by the next day it is managable if not pressed firmly. . Mine started about a week after what I thought was a perfect colonoscopy. But I have massive fibroids too.  I was planning to have the fibroids removed soon. Now I do not know if that will complicate my surgery or if the fibroids are contributing. I almost regret the colonoscopy. I asked the doctor if the fibroids put me at risk for a perforation he said no. ????My pain comes on when I dance. A mere touch is painful and it feels as if it is pulling or pulsing inside sometimes. but the latter sensation is not painful.
I had that same pain until I had surgery for endometriosis.  An adhesion had attached my right ovary to the pelvic wall.  I haven't had that pain since surgery (except now my belly button is infected 4 months later.. crazy,. my RE said it was probably just a hair follicle)  
When I push on it I no longer get that shooting pain.  
I think what complexsimplicity said sounds pretty correct.  If the naval connects to other points in the body, it could be lots of things.  In my case it was endometriosis but it could be a number of things.
Best of luck!
okay ladies! i just found my solution to my belly button pain! its really weird but very possible!

i was diggin and diggin around in my belly button cuz i was so fed up with the pain, and i wanted to see if i could find an ingrown hair or a pimple or something! i certainly didnt want to go to the doctors cuz i don't have insurance.

then i saw it....

at first i thought it was a bug... or even some nasty fungus... (*squirm gross!! eeehhhh!* )

nope, very simple...

so i dabbed it with some peroxide and got some tweezers and out it came. one of those fox tails from grass got stuck in there! crazy!
little blood, but i think that was from messing with it while reading these posts.
so the knot that i am feeling and the pain is probably a slight infection from it, but now that its out, i think it should clear up pretty quick.

so before you go to the doctor, take a good look in those belly buttons and who knows what you'll find! :)

(what works the best are those bobby pins)
i have been on the birth control for 14 years and off of it for 16 months and ever sense i came off of it i  start geting pain around my naval when my menstrual come on and it last after a week when it over. i don't know what happening, when i lay on my belly, put on my jeans,ben over i can feel it. i went to the doctor and he said that i gas up doing my menstrual circle. so i thourght it was gas also i don't know what it is can some one help please
I have similar symptoms as mentioned.
1. Uncomfortable sensation around my navel, not intense pain but enough to be concerned.
2. Pain is infrequent. Off and on for about 1 month or so then absent for about 1 to 2 months, now it is back. The pain is the same not any worse or better than before.

My history
I had endometriosis over 10 years ago. I had the surgery that went through my navel to laser off the cyst. So, I only have a micro scar above the hole if my navel (innie). When I had been diagnosed with endometriosis I had similar discomfort around my navel, along with other symptoms (vomiting after intercourse, heavy periods, painful periods and the discomfort of the navel area). I have been on the pill since, but now am trying to get pregnant so have been off since last year. I have had an ultrasound about a year ago and no endometriosishttp://www.medhelp.org/posts/Womens-Health/Navel-Pain---What-is-it/show/26074# was found. Maybe it has returned in the past year as a result of my being off the pill.

I too, as mentioned by another post, have had severe chest pains. I sometimes thought it could be gas, but then went to a cardiologist. He found that my heart beats rather fast, but other than that I appear to have a healthy heart. I have one more appointment with him, and I will be sure to mention this to him. When I first had my visit I was not experiencing this pain anymore, so I did not mention it. The chest pains went away, but my navel pain reappeared and now the chest pains are back again, too.

I do have some issues with constipation, too. I have noticed that when I am more regular the pain seems to go away, or is there less, versus when I am irregular.

I am bloated around the lower part of my stomach(below my navel). This is not always, and does not seem to be related to the discomfort around my navel area.

Besides the endometriosis, the first time I ever felt this discomfort in my navel was when I was on a road trip and reached in the back seat from the passenger front seat to lift an item that was not all that heavy but not light and awkwardly placed. I immediately had this weird pain in my belly and since then this pain seems to have come from that experience. I think I could have a hernia. Maybe, my navel area is sensitive because of the endometriosis surgury? I do have insurance, and have planned to make an appointment, but the pain is never severe enough for me to actually call. Now after reading other post, I feel like I should go and get it checked out.

O, one more thing.. I also notice that sometimes when I slightly touch my upper belly area, like just below the rib cage, it is quasi sore.

In my opinion, I do think my digestive system is not working properly and maybe it is all related to that. I do find myself to be quite gassy, too.

I will keep you all posted after I visit the doctor.

i just began to feel like this needle feeling in my navel... I've heard maybe im prego or maybe its a hernia. Can this feeling really be from pregnancy? I have a really crazy irregular period so i dont even know if im prego. Pls someone help!
Ive been having problems for the last 10months now...first i went in and they found overian cysts whish popped when they operated, then i was still getting pains around my navel and my sides so i went into ane again and they took my apendix out which was healthy....then i came back home and im still having pains around my navel and sides sometimes so bad i can hardly move/walk around. I have IBS which causes some of the side pains but doesnt explain the navel pain, the pain under my breasts and in my chest that i have developed over the last few months :( and the constant sickly feeling i have.
Im seeing a stomach specialist in a few weeks so im hoping that they can help me cause ive had abdominal scans...cameras and everything in the past and they just eep saying im a mystery!
Im only 23 and Its very frustrating ;(
My symptoms are exactly the same as yours - the smelly belly button, pain and bloating - no discharge.  I've been using peroxide on the edge of a washcloth to clean it.  The area below my bellybutton gets warm (feverish).  The pain is dull mostly, with bouts of sharp pain. I feel great on the few days when I don't have this pain.  My gynaecologist says that it may be due to my scar from my fibroid surgery about 6 years ago.
My fibroids are back again but she doesn't think that it's related to that.  MRIs have shown nothing in that area.  A sonohystogram showed that I had a fibroid in the wall of my uterus but she says that is not what's causing the pain.  
It may be gas from lactose intolerance (cramps, diarrhea and bloating from eating cheese, milk, most cereals...) but I'm not completely sold on that idea because this pain started about 4 months ago and have had lactose intolerance for years.  
BTW - someone I know was diagnosed with Irritable Bowel Syndrome - she had the yellow pus inside, pain, bloating, cramps, heavy periods, anemia, loss of appetite, weight loss - but the doctor later found the problems were caused by fibroids and not IBS.
doing my own research and found your post.  i have had intermittent navel pain and burning for like 3 yrs.  it was blown off by dr's as muscle strain (i'm aerial artist) it finally surfaced 4 months ago into a hard painful nodule (sometimes purple in color) with constant pain and burning.  Suspecting in was a urachal cyst, i had it removed.  there was no evidence of infection, but it was doing the sweating thing.  the surgeon took the cyst out and left what she thought was a lot of scar tissue which she thought wouldn't bother me.  the biopsies found that it was endometrial tissue.  which means that i'll probably need another surgery to remove the endometrial tissue that she thought was scar tissue.  i had the surgury 3 weeks ago, and it feels a lot better, however i just got my first period since the surgury and low and behold i feel a little twinge of discomfort with my cycle.  
maybe this will help.  
about two months ago my wonderful boyfriend poked me in my bellybutton really hard.  since then i have been having pain about maybe every two to three weeks. i dont have insurance so i dont want to go to the doctors unless it is completely necessary but i would just like some of your opinions on what it could be
Hi there,

Im really worried.  Ive read all your comments and nothing has helped.  I felt recently a hard like bone feeling at the top of my belly button.  Its like a bone has appeared at the top of my belly button.  Im worried as this was not there before.  Any ideas?  
I feel u should stil see a doc n go 4 a trans-vaginal scan it will help.
Hi guys, I have been having the same issues once three or four months ago and again in the last week. I went to the ER the first time and they couldnt find anything wrong with me. I don't have a hernia and I dont have any bumps or infections in the navel area but it hurts to bend over I feel bloated  and I have to keep pressure off my belly or it makes it worse. The pain doesnt go away it just lessens if I'm laying down streched out and it gets worse when I'm hungry or have to pee. I decided I would give the DR's a try again and they did the same tests and didn't find anything for sure but I did get a suggestion or two:

First being that there is a tendon along the front of your abdomin (abdomen) that the muscles connect to and there could be something goin on there, maybe I might have strained it or tore something.

Or two: Meckel's diverticulum, a small bulge in the small intestine present at birth. It is a remnant of the connection from the yolk sac to the small intestine present during embyonic development. It can be present as an indirect hernia, typically on the right side, where it is known as "Hernia of Littre". Theres been a case of strangulated umbilical hernia too. Its hard to explain but it has the same sysmptoms of acute appendicitus. Severe pain in the upper abdomen along with bloating of the stomach region. I found the information at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meckel's_diverticulum

The only thing  that I find off is that the most common symptom is painless rectal bleeding followed by intestinal obstruction and internal bleeding the occurs without warning and stops spontaneously. Dont see any of those among the symptoms I have but they dont always show up according to the DR.

I'm not sure if this is the actual cause of the pains but if it is, it is fixable so that is something to cheer about. I hope this helps the more Dr. opinions the better our chances of figuing this out.
Maybe u should take care of your navel by cleaning it with an antiseptic and applying oil inside it everyday. A very natural way to avoid tummy and navel pains.
i have been having the sharp pain in my belly button since i was about 15 or 16 and now i am 21 and i still get the sharp pains although not very frequently. since the pain only appeared every couple of months i didnt bother to inform my physician. On my most recent doctors appointment i asked the doctor about the pain. He asked me about the frequency of the pain and checked my stomach region. Without further examination he informed me that the pain was normal and dismissed the possibility of a hernia.

As i am writing this the pain in my belly button has returned and it is so strong i cannot even stand up. seeing myself in this situation and reading the comments above i wonder how the pain can be normal. how is it that numerous people are suffering from the same symptoms yet there is no clear diagnosis to the horrible pain no one is able to explain.
Hello!
From pikcing too much heavy weight, we have a navel ilness called "Naf Baramadan" in Dari (Language spoken in Afghanistan). I just wonder what does this illness call in English ? Is it a type of hernia ? The terms mean: Naf = Navel and Baramadan = rising. Your help is appreaciated. Thank you
I am experiencing the worse pain right now from my belly button and decided to look up possible problems.  This isn't the first time either, but I can't figure out why.  After reading half of the comments above, I scrolled down to the end wanting to see if all the comments were the same.  The last comment (farad, aug 1, 2010) spoke of lifting heavy weight.  Then...I realized while playing with my dog, I lifted her and she's at least 30 lbs.  This scares me because maybe I do have the navel hernia.  I will discuss with my doctor on next visit.
I'm having these pains now too... I've been having them for a few weeks now off and on. I thought at first that it was my belly button ring infecting the pierced area but after trying to just clean my bellybutton i realized that it was the inner part of it. My entire bellybutton was filled with crusty brown junk and thats what made me clean it... i hadnt realized it was so nasty and i was using peroxide and a q-tip and felt a sharp pain... so i looked super deep inside and it looks like a sore. its slightly bloody but just looks like unexposed skin. its gross and it smells bad. i have no clue what it is... im gonig to the doctor tomorrow morning to get it checked out
I have the exact symptoms as the person in the very first post,  I went to the doctor today and she does believe I have a navel hernia.  During my exam she had me lie down on the table and do a "half sit-up".  While I did that she pressed on my navel and I about jumped off the table!!  It was so painful!! I have no other symptoms except navel pain.  I see a surgeon on Monday. For the folks who posted that their doctors told them that "their pain was nothing"....please seek another opinion!  They are giving you a lazy, incompetent answer. I'm so glad I found this post!  It helped knowing there were others with similar issues.
I have been having the same problems with my navel. It is very painful and it burns something aweful. The area that hurts is the lower left side of my navel in the corner. It has changed color to a dark purple and I am thinking the circulation there is being cut off. I went to my PCD and OBGYN and they referred me to a surgeon. My OBGYN didn't even look at my naval. When I went to the surgeon he said it did not look or feel like a hernia and if it gets worse to come back to him. He didn't even suggest that I return to him for another check up, I had to mention that, that was weird. But all the docs keep saying there is nothing to worry about. I was also sent to a Sonograher and I was also told that I have small fibroid cysts and not to worry about it, but I am very worried. The visit with the Sonographer was very painful when she examined my vagina. And I think maybe she caused the pain in my naval. I have been taking birth control pills for almost 1 year due to uncomfortable periods and I think it could be stemming from the bcps. Like many of you, the pain comes and goes and I feel so much better when the pain goes away. But then the pain comes back and I feel helpless and hopeless. I have started meditating and praying for God to heal this werid problem with my naval and I have also tried so many remedies suggested by friends. I hope I can find help for this problem. If there is a doctor reading this or anyone who wants to give advice about this please help. All comments will be helpful. Thanks! :)
It seems as if this particular discussion has had alot of hits and alot of comments over the last two years as people do their own search for pain in belly button.  
I have been experiencing belly button pain now for about 3 weeks.  Even though I am overweight, I have never had a problem with my naval. I have had several surgeries where they have used my belly button as an entry point for my surgery. First I had my gall bladder removed by not the best of doctors and he left my naval in an absolute mess looks wise, but I guess he did a decent job because I never had any problems. Next was a Laproscopic lasar surgery to burn off some endometreosis tissue. Belly button entry again.  Next was my hysterectomy and they were hoping that they could do it by going through my naval and vagina and when I was put under the anesthesia, that was the plan. When I woke up, however, my Surgeon was standing over me apologizing and telling me that the scar tissue in my belly button was too thick to cut through and they worked for 2 hours before deciding to do my hysterectomy by doing a bikini cut. 2 hours- I would have just went ahead and did it bikini cut after 20 minutes if it were up to me.  Okay- so anyway-all that, and still not a single problem with my naval until 2 months ago.  I woke up one morning with a sore belly button and went into the bathroom to look at it and found that it had a crusty brown, dried up gunk around the outer edge and when I took a wet cotton ball and cleaned it up, I realized it was a little sore.  After cleaning it up and using a cotton swab with Peroxide (which bubbled up by the way), I realized that the inside was red and had like little bumps all around the interior edge.  So, I used something that I had been prescribed for a yeasty infection a few years back called Nystatin ointment and it cleared up in just a few days. No more problems until about 3 weeks ago, and then I woke up one morning smelling like a foul odor lingering around me and decided that it had to be coming from my naval. I took a Q-tip and put some peroxide on it and dipped it into my belly button, which is very deep by the way due to both my weight and my multiple surgeries and is deformed down inside as it goes really deep and then has like an L at the end of the crossing, so to speak. When the q-tip reached the bottom of my naval I felt an extremely painful twinge and the foul odor got stronger. I brought the Q-tip out and it was covered in a blood/pus mixture that smelled so horrible I almost got sick and felt very faint.  So, I got several clean q-tips and cleaned my naval until the q-tips were clear and no more blood, pus or odor.  Ever since, I have been cleaning daily with peroxide and q-tips but the soreness in my belly button has gotton worse and worse, hurting mostly at night when I try to roll over in bed.  Last night was the worst. Instead of just being sore now, it feels like it is on fire and the whole area around my naval feels like it does after surgery, like it has been cut open- That burning, stinging kind of pain with incisions and it is a deep feeling. Much deeper than the belly button though. It feels like it goes deep inside me and the whole perimeter around the naval- like the size of a large canteloupe. It hurts to walk, I have to hold my tummy when I walk and I whince in pain when I go to sit, bend, stretch in any way or lay down and try to roll over.  I don't know how this even got started- if it is infected or what. Also, I have been having some allergy/nasal problems and having to blow my nose really hard and sneezing really hard. My husband thinks that I have blown my nose so hard that I pulled muscles, but it feels more like infection and almost like I have had surgery and been cut and the cut is infected.
What do you all think? Sorry for such a long post. I have a hard time explaining things unless I write a book with every detail. Call me obsessive, that's me!!
Anyway- Please, any help will be much appreciated!!!!  
The problem of navel pain for which doctors have no clue, is a very common problem in india as well, and you can find people, who know the cure for it almost everywhere in india.

those people say that the navel is displaced from its original place and has to be centralized again in order to get releif from the pain.

they will first find the place where it has moved (it can move anywhere in the abdomen) by feeling the pop when the put pressure with their thumo. (the patient must lie down on bed and must be empty stomach. it is usually cured early morning).

then they will do oil massage in order to bring the navel to its original place. once it is brought to its place, they will ask you to eat food. (in order to retain it to its original place by putting weight on it.)

They also suggest certain excercises.

In most of cases the pain is easily cured in two to three sittings. which doctors can not identify in months.

feel free to ask for any further help.
Just wanted to follow-up and share with you my experience since my last post on Sept. 9th.  Had surgery to repair "navel hernia" last Friday.  Come to find out it WAS NOT a hernia...but endometriosis!!  I have never had any issues with this before so I was blown away.  Surgeon seemed surprised, too.  Now, it is 6 days later and I am feeling better....just a bit sore.  :)
Friends.

I am facing acute stomach pain for last 10 years. I have seen a lot of Gastro Doctors but all are unable to treat me. They even can't identify the reason of pain. Some says.

For last one year my stomach is blotted most of the time. It is always paining around nevel. I am also having symptoms of GRED (pain in upper middle chest). I am laying on OTC antacids and I also have to take antibiotics one course at least once in every months. When I take antibiotics I feel good for 5-10 days and when I stop it, the pain present again.

Can anyone suggest me what should I do?
I too was experiencing severe pain near my belly button. I could also feel a small lump underneath the skin which was extremely tender. There was very little swelling and redness. I went to the ER and they said it was a small umbilical hernia. I wasn't satisfied with the diagnoses because the pain was to persistent. I went back three days later and managed to get a competent doctor. Come to find out after a catscan it was Cellulitis. Repeat CELLULITIS was the cause. I hope this will help someone in the future.  
I've been experiencing navel pains for years now. It just occurs randomly and really hurts when I stretch. I've seen various doctors about it with no result whatsoever. I happened to be  visiting a friend whose mother worked as a nurse and she told me that if it was no infection or cystitis it could be something roughly translated in English as "removal of the belly-button" , meaning it changed place as a result of abrupt movement. I have no idea how accurate that could be but her suggested treatment does work. I lie down with my belly-button placed on a ball shaped item (as it happens randomly I have to make due with a scarf /piece of fabric  Ι roll into a ball).  It feels really uncomfortable for a few seconds, but then the pain goes away.
I hope this helps someone in the future but keep in mind it is no doctor's advice and pain can be caused by any other condition.
ladies i have been having the same pain for the past 27years. they couldn't find anything! they said its the same as menstrual cramps. i normally get the pain before my period!
I'm having almost the same problem. But I don't have a lump or anything.. It's just hurting inside my bellybutton and some around my stomach. I feel sick to my stomach a lot. My belly button hurts when I turn on my side, or stretch, just anything of that nature. I don't know what it is. I also feel bloated. I dont know what's going on. I'm very very worried about this.
I just want to assure most of the posters here that occasional pain in the navel is most likely not a serious health problem. I have been getting these pains, usually right before my period, for years. The pain is brief and really only happens after I stand up from urinating. It can be a mild pulling feeling or a sharp jolt that feels like it is coming from the urethra. Basic anatomy tells me that the uterus is behind the uretha and a full, pre-menstrual uterus can bump up against the urethra and cause pain if you make sudden movements.
The other explaination is groin pain can be felt in the navel. I sometimes feel this pain after a workout and it is probably a pulled muscle connected to a nearby nerve. Hope that helps!
Since I have had my tubes tied, I too have had this navel pain.  I had an ultrasound because the doc was afraid I got a hernia while in recovery.  The ultrasound didn't show anything. Anyway, it went away, and every few months it comes back.  I asked a friend, and she said it could be scar tissue.  She has awful c-sections, and the last one was more than ten years ago. She said she still has intense pain from it.  So I have pretty much chalked my pain up to be that.  I think the only that could be done for that is having it surgically removed.
hi ive been getting the same i had a hernia op back in 1996 but i have it constant doesnt go away doesnt ease but it seems to get worst wen any sort of pressure is put on my stomach i was sent for a scan and she sed it was all normal but i fort mayb an eptopic pregnancy cause i have alot ov discharge and smelly down dere i must stress i do change my knicker haha and have a bath bout 4 times a day. so i fort iv goin bk to my docs but i fink mayb dey will fink dat im faking it or something i dunno can any1 help x thanks x
I HAVE THE SAME PAIN FOR ALMOST A WEEK AND IT DOESEN'T GO AWAY I WONDER WHAT IT IS
I had woke up one mornIng with pain on my navel. I tried treatin it myself since I have no insurance. But it wouldnt go away all the way. Ended up going to a free clinic. They prescribed me a bacitractin zinc and polymyxin B sulfate ophthalmic ointment USP. Which I have to apply to my navel 3 times a day... It's been clearing up pretty good! Hope I've helped! Try asking churchs and dr offices about free clinics...
My stomach hurts in the lower partbellow my abdomen idk what it is but im being scheduled to do a ultrasound. so does anyone know what it could be?
i read all above and some symptoms i shared, i went to the dr back in june because i felt a pull while doing situps, it hurted at that time, i had a physical done and an ultrasound and they revealed no hernia, by the way the pain is in the lower part of my navel just under it, after 3 weeks of rest and no working outs it seemed like it disappeared i went back to my regular routine of working out 5 times a week, but 3 weeks ago in july, it reappeared, i went to the dr and explained what happened and he didn't even examined me rather he gave a prescription to see a sugeon since he believes is a hernia now, today i went to a specialist for a second opinion, he made me lay on the bed in the clinic and tested my muscles but everything seems normal, though he didnt say it, he gave me a prescription for a ct of abdomen and pelvis which i will have tomorrow or wednesday, i will see the surgeon this friday also but i wanna know what the specialist think although he seemed perplexed and scared me because he said it could be something more serious....:(
If you have a navel When you have a navel pain. Just do the following things:

Take a pillow & Bed sheet.

Roll the bed sheet in such a way that it looks like a ball

Put the pillow on the floor & put bed sheet ball on the centre of the pillow.

Now the person with navel pain should place his/her navel exactly on the top of the Bed Sheet ball. While laying face should be downward & whole body should be stretched.

Lay down like this for five to ten minutes.

Pain will vanish.
When you have a navel pain. Just do the following things:

Take a pillow & Bed sheet.

Pain will vanish.
Has anyone done any heavy lifting and a few days later found that their belly button is in a ton of pain?  I have read all the above posts and haven't seen the dr. yet....but i have a feeling it's an umbilical hernia. Maybe a pulled muscle?  My abdomenal (abdominal) muscles don't hurt, just my belly button, and it is protruding.....can heavy lifting cause this type of hernia? I'm strong and healthy....this is such a bummer!
Im having the same pain...it happened about 2 days ago... I do have my belly button peirced so maybe it is an infection??... This has never happened before so im a little worried
I had a laparoscopic appendectomy 2 years ago,my navel was infected even  a month after the surgery..I went back to the surgeon and he just looked and prescribed some antibiotics,no cream or wahtsoever...It didnt seem to heal so I went to the pharmacy to get an antiseptic cream which worked very well....Now 2 years later...I have an infection in my navel..went to a clinic 4 times including today..the doctor used a q-tip to see if there was a pus or blood..there was nothing,she said it has dried up..one of the doctors said if it does not heal i have to see a surgeon again!The antibiotics didnt work either and i have to take pain killers!!Now Im still in pain,..will have to see the surgeon next week!!They ruled out hernia..I should have asked them to do an ultra sound...
Similar to all of the other comments, I have had some unusual pains and happening with my belly button area the past few months.  I am a very healthy 23 year old and not on any medications.   Two weeks ago I was in the store and for no particular reason I touched inside my belly button as I was walking.  A few seconds later I realized there was a wet spot on the inside of my shirt that I felt on my stomach.  I quickly lifted my shirt and saw there was an ugly pus on my shirt.  No doubt that nastiness came out of my bellybutton. I noticed the pus smelled pretty bad and there were a few hairs in it as well.  I do have dogs, So I'm not sure if the hairs actually came from the pus or were on my shirt previously.  So obviously I'm worried at this point because now there is some blood coming out of my bellybutton.  I tried not to touch it very much because it was starting to hurt like hell.  Not in my stomach but just surrounding the immediate bellybutton.  So when I got home I investigated my naval.  There was this little gewwy, *****, red thing sticking out, so I tried to get it out thinking it was pus.  Bad idea.  It hurt like hell.  Started to get a little worried again.  The thought of going to the doctor crossed my mind, but it didn't seem that critical.  I always give myself a few days.  I will try something and if it doesn't work, then I go to the doctor.  I stopped touching my bellybutton all together.  Obviously pus=infection.  you stick your bacteria laden fingers into an open infection and your probably infecting it more.  I went to the store, purchased Bactine, it's an antiseptic spray that a lot of people use on piercings so they don't get infected.  I squirt once in the bellybutton and pat it around/wipe out with a Q-tip.  24 hours later that "thing" that was sticking out of my bellybutton went away.  I don't spray it religiously anymore(at least 4 times a day) because I tend to forget, but since I've kept it clean, there have been no problems and no pain.
yes its an in and out procedure...no big deal, dont worry.....
it may be indigestion problems ask your doctor about it
I am 18 and was really stressed out with a few things going on im my life about two weeks ago, and well my whole body didnt feel all to well. But since then everything has gone back to normal except my Navel.
Symptoms:
Not intense pain just major discomfort
Not affected when I eat
Seems to get much worst when I work
To stretch, bend over, or just in general any moment involving my navel hurts
The pain will come and go
Its not infected
the inside of my navel I cant touch it hurts so bad

If anyone knows anything please send me a message I am worried about this. ***@****
Hi, guys! I've had the same problem 3 years ago and understand how annoying and uncomfortable it is. I also went to doctor and he couldn't find anything. But then I started my own research and found this: there is a group of vessels that are attached to belly button (let's call them BBV), but sometimes it can move (carrying heavy stuff or just wrong body movement can cause the move) and when it happens you start to feel this pain/discomfort. Very easy to check if this happened to you: just lay on the hard surface (like floor), stretch your legs and push with your thumb into your belly button. If you don't feel any pulse there it means that your BBV moved. The only way to fix it is stomach massage: first slight petting, then gentle circular pushing and then twisting in clockwise direction from the under the rib cage space towards your belly button. Each round should be done about 15 times and the whole massage should be repeated at least 3 times at once: you need your stomach muscles to be completely relaxed at the end to the point when you can stick almost half of your fingers under your rib cage. Helped me, hopefully will help you!
I'm going thru it now so painful especially when it's bumped, I'm hoping it's gas. I really do not want to see a doctor
Hi everyone,  My sister had problems with pain/infection in her navel and swelling in her abdomen for five years.  Finally, an ultrasound revealed that she still had a urachus.  This is a tube from your bladder to your bellybutton while you are a fetus.  It removes waste from your bladder to the umbilical cord.  It turns into a ligament after you are born.  It is a rare birth defect and it remains open and urine enters the tube and causes infection and leaks from the belly button.  She had to have surgery to remove the tube and close the opening in the bladder.
hi maylee,
please let us know if you ever figured out what the problem was & how it was resolved. my experience is exactly like yours & would like to know what it is. thanx!
When I'm trying to have a bowel that;s when I feel a navel discomfort.
I'm afraid to push because then it becomes a slight pain.
When I look at my navel I noticed that it's very small. Maybe that Laxitives I used to take evey 3 days had to do something with that.
Or maybe I should have not push too hard.
But anyway, I really would like to know why mt navel feels like this now.
Any one?

God bless!
Brandy
.
Hi everyone,

I am 23 and I've experienced the same problem since I was young. The stomach pain and stomach getting very firm etc. I am east Indian and when I started going through this pain my family diagnosed me with some east Indian thing (I honestly don't really know what to call it). Anyway it seemed to be some kind of pulse under my belly button that would move to various places in my abdomen. (weird I KNOW). So I started getting it rubbed and even started going to some family friend who would honestly just press nerves in my arm and move this "pulse" back into place under my belly button. Now I just follow another remedy. SAN2011 also mentioned this. What I do is take a towel and roll in tightly lengthwise. Then take that and tightly wrap it (kinda like a umm cinnamon bun). Place the center right under your belly button. Lay on this for about 15 minutes. It should be a little bit uncomfortable. And at the end you should feel a pulse under your belly button.

Honestly I am sure this is the weirdest post and people will probably think I am crazy but it works. I've been to countless doctors and been to the hospital a number of times without any answer to what is wrong with me. If anyone knows of an actual medical term or what I am talking about please feel free to let me know!

Thanks and I hope this helps.    
Are there any doctors in this forum who can answer our questions or are we on our own here?
I have navel problems, also. I really think my problem is hereditary because my dad, my son and I all have the same problem. When I was 10 years old, a doctor, diagnosed me and gave me some medicine that took the pain away in 20-30 minutes. Well, it was said back then that I was allergic to various foods and try to avoid them, such as chocolate, oranges, tomatoes, eggs and the list goes on and on. I have tried to make some sense of this because my dad is the third oldest out of 6 children and the only one who has the problem. I am the first of three and I am the only child who has it and my son is the last of three and he has the problem. When I take my son to the doctor, she seems as if she is just fishing and its frustrating. If anyone know anything please let me know. NOTE..The doctor who initially diagnosed me, retired and went home, to his reservation.
I have had these pains since I was a young boy so at least for the past 15 years. What I have found, (for those of you with burning naval pain, randomized with increments from 1-6 months then returning pain along with intensified pain in the naval when urinating or having a full bladder) is to stay hydrated and to avoid drinking thinks containing citric acid in excess. It seems that my pain was random for a while, but the more I started to realize it I thought about the things that I put into my body prior to experiencing these pains. (sometimes so intense I am scared to urinate and have crawl up into a ball) I realized that things like lemonade, orange juice and even sports drinks and mountain dew were usually part of my diet intake prior to feeling the pains so I made a conscious effect to stay away from excess amounts of citric acid based products and If I do want to enjoy these products I try to make sure I hydrate myself with water post intake.  Another thing to avoid is "holding it" for too long if you let your bladder fill up to the max you most likely will feel the naval pain. I have seen many doctors gotten ultra sounds and like everyone else here have been turned away as doctor's had no clue, but what I have found through my experiences are these things. I hate seeing that no one has a diagnoses, but I'm glad to see I am not the only one experiencing these symptoms. Please try taking my advice It has worked wonders, but yesterday I wasn't hydrated well and drank quite a bit of orange juice and lemonade and I am still experiencing symptoms today. So I plan to hydrate and avoid citric acid along with avoid heavy lifting as well.
ive been havin a sharp pain right above my belly button it hurts to push on it and sometimes to walk around it hurts alot to take deep breathes im 16yo n my mom says its all in my head n i was havin the same type of pain(5months ago?) on my right side below the ribs the dr said it was my gallbladder n gave me meds but the pain moved to where it is now i feel like i have to throw up n its been keepin me up at night i keep wakin up ever 1/2 hr to an hour cuz of the pain ive looked up the symptoms n said things bout a hernia n i mentioned it to my dr 2wks ago n she didnt think so but then again shes been wrong b4 so what do u think it is? N what should i do no one listens to me.
My daughter is having similiar symptoms. Did you have an ultra sound before going to a surgeon? She had an ultra sound with no findings. The pain does not occur when she is laying down.
I too am having a pain on the right side of my navel.  It does hurt when I lay down, walk, etc.  Now I'm having some pain on my right side.  Don't know...it's the first time my belly button has ever had pain.  thank's for all the insight from the previous post's....I will definitely follow up with my md if symptom's persist.
yes farad its very pain ful we also cald almost same thing NAF Move .
Just try it   . make one  ball  with lady (shawl )size around  small futball .laydown on bed face down and put that cloth ball under your NAF . around 5 mints it will help you .
same exact thing when i pee...
I have almost exactly the same (well, I'm a man) erotic navel pleasures you describe.
I have been with a few (wish there were more) who's navels very sensitive.  They loved slow navel rubbing and kissing - then harder - as foreplay.
You and I are fortunate to have this pleasure.  The navel is the second chakra, and connected to whole body and in a very sensuous way.
As for pain.  I get it sometimes, but it's always associated with gym workouts.
I have been having the same pain, as everyone above.  I went to the ER and they first told me it could be my appendix....They gave me some meds for pain and then told me I needed an ultra sound.  Few hours later did the ultra sound and found nothing.  They sent me home.  Next day extreme pain, went to the ER ag ain, the docs pressed on my belly once and did no more tests and told me it was built up acid in my stomach.  prescribed me meds and have been taking them for 2 days....Pain continues with me having to go to the bathroom all the time and throwing up with alittle blood in my vomit. These meds seem to be making me worse.  I dont know if i should go back to the ER since they are making it out to be nothing serious.  But would I really be going to the ER if it didnt hurt and spend all that time just to be brushed off like it isnt serious
well i started getting pains in my belly button while i was pregnant. my son is 4 months now and i have just started getting the pain back tonight. it feels like someone is pulling my belly button from the inside and its very sore not swollen or anything looks like a very normal belly button. BUT when i first started getting these BB pains while prego i also started getting a random pain in what felt like my left ovary. not like a period cramp like an extremely painful ovary explosion!!! i know when i had my first ultrasound that she had a very hard time locating that ovary she said it was way higher than the other. i had been told by my chiropractor that i have a slanted pelvis just a couple months before hand and he told me that can make it hard to conceive a baby, which would make sense to why it took me about 7m. do you think all things are related? the belly button, ovary and slated pelvis in some way? I'm so afraid i will end up with ovarian cancer that I'm petrified to see my doc to find out whats wrong with me.
Did you ever find out what was causing this?  I seem to have the exact same thing ocuring now......
I started getting navel pains a month ago after I had my first dose of HPV vaccine. I had navel discharge and was then subjected to laparotomy to drain intra-abdominal abscess after a week of unresposiveness to antibiotics. Almost a month after, I am again feeling the same pain I've felt before the surgery. I am going to see my doctor tomorrow as I have read accounts of possible intra-abdominal abscess caused by Candida. Candida (yeast) infection should be considered in an individual with a pelvic abscess that is unresponsive to conventional antibiotic therapy. I've also read that patients with a hypersensitivity to yeast should not receive HPV vaccine since yeast is used in its production.
I'm dealing with the same problem my belly button hurts it hurts to bend over or to even touch the area around my belly button I am over weight. I clean it everyday it has been hurting for the past three days I don't have insurance so I don't really want to go to the ER and have to worry about the medical bill. This has happened once before and they said that my belly button got infected because of my belly button ring which I no longer have in and havent had it in for 6months . Any suggestions as to what it could be? there is no bump/lump inside it. Thank you.
I was suffering for years with a knot inside my naval. It felt like a pea under my skin when I pushed on my belly button. (inny) The pain was slight at first, but after 2 years it became unbearable even to drag my shirt across the region. I went to several doctors who all thought it was a sebaceous cyst. One doctor even went as far as to try and drain it. A giant needle was jabbed into something that was hard and could not be drained. The pain almost killed me. Eventually I saw a surgeon who took it out in one afternoon visit. Local was all it took. The growth was "rooted". It was deep. The extracted mass was sent to the lab. My doctor was surprised when the results came back as endometriosis. I have never felt pain anywhere else. I have been pain free for a year and now I feel the tinges  of that all too familiar sensation. Going back to the doctor this week.
To everyone! Ive had 6 cat scans. I don't want anymore. I have the same symptoms as above with my belly button and it hurting. I don't know how else to check ? My blood work is fine and so is my urine. But they want a ct scan. And I'm not sure what to do. I've had way too much radiation in the past 5 years and I'm only 22.
I have had the surgery before. It was painful. But what surgery isn't. It took me a few weeks to actually get back to the groove of things. It is not that bad
While I was sitting at my computer, the skin around my belly button felt strange, so I touched it and felt severe, tender pain in my innie belly button and surrounding area and a sharp pain shooting into my pelvis in the center.  This is the first time I have felt this type of pain in the area and glad I found this site with all the comments.  I did a lot of errands over the weekend and think I may have pulled a muscle, and I have had low back pain almost daily for years, so I don't know if this is connected.  I will go the the Doctor because the pain is unbearable, especially if I touch the area.
My situation is probably different from others on this post, but I am waiting to have surgery for a water mellon size ovarian cyst that has my stomach filled out like I am full term with twins. The reason they have not been able to do the surgery over the past month is a cellulitis infection below my belly button area that I had no idea that I had.  For a month I have been taking as prescribed, 4000 ML of antibiotics per day to get all that infection cleared up so they can do surgery.  

Now.. its the weekend.  I'm wracking in pain with a very sore navel also!  Feels like I've been kicked with a pointed boot.   It is also leaking the stinkiest reddish goop.. making me sick!  I don't know which is worse, me or a skunk!

It hurts to lie down, or bend over..or to touch it.  I have done everything imaginable to keep it cleaned and santitized out.  Even filling it with peroxide and alcohol.   I will have to wait till monday to see what my doc says.  
ABOUT YESTERDAY I GUESS I WAS MOVIN AROUND AND ALL OF A SUDDEN I FEEL THIS PAIN INSIDE MY NAVEL AND I CANT STRETCH REALLY OR LAY ON MY STOMACH LIKE I USUALLY DO AND WHEN I PRESS ON IT IT HURTS...SHOULD I WAIT AND SEE IF IT GOES AWAY OR GET IT CHECKED OUT RITE AWAY?? I HOPE ITZ NOTHIN SERIOUS BUT IM SCARED !
Thanks for replying. Ive found that when theres pain its normally related to something that I am emotionally processing, or not communicating about. Its an amazing reflex point like the feet, hands and ears.. I can stimulate many parts of my body through the navel.. I'm assuming the meridians run through the navel too and carry the signal... Thanks for sharing again.
aye thanks, yo.
I am overweight, and have this soreness and pain in my bellybutton which is quite deep due to my weight, I cleaned it with an antiseptic spray and Qtip and had a bit of a dig about and the Qtip had blood on it, it feels like I have a sore deep inside, but the pain is worse when I bend over, I have been cleaning it and the blood as cleared up, I have been applying antiseptic cream, but it is still sore and tender, I have a GP appointment for next week, any ideas what this could be please.
My belly button problem started suddenly, after having a rash on my stomach around it.  I had a very itchy stomach rash first with tiny red sores all over my stomach, and I was diagnosed with scabies (but it wasn't conclusive).  The stomach sores are fading.  But now suddenly I have the same red sores, like little red spots, inside my belly button and it hurts alot.  It feels almost lke the way stitches feel after surgery.  My belly area hurts around my belly button, too.   And the smell coming out of my belly button is really bad, I can smell it even when I lean forward.  It's like a colicky stitchy pain, not severe but getting there.   THe pain gets worse when I press the area, or when pants are too tight.  My belly feels harder than usual, too.  ANd like some of the previous posters, I had a laparoscopy for endometriosis, through my belly button a number of years ago.  It left scar tissue, but no pain or rash until now.  What can this be?
What type of doctor was able to help you??
Hey guys, I am an ER doc, and my wife is an OB/GYN-  she is having the exact same kind of pain and we have no idea-  umbilical hernias generally protrude or have some physical evidence of herniation.  If it was more serious (appendicitis or infection) she would be much sicker by now.  It's probably just some irritation to the umbilicus and deeper tissue causing this vague pain.  An ultrasound should sufficiently rule out anything scary like cancer.  Appendicitis should not be confused by this dull, long standing pain.  If you are having severe abd pain in the right lower quadrant, have fever, and/or can't eat, please go to the ER
i have acid reflex, you would have pain in the chest and upper stomach area, not your belly button.
I know you posted about this all the way back in 2008 but I really hope you can help me...I have the exact exact pains u have described! It's been going on for 3 or for years now just here's and there's....but very painful and I was hoping u may have found out what it was from..

The weirdest part of it all is I had the pain maybe a hand full of times in the 1st yr..then while at work I decided to empty the very larg trash can & to get the bag out I had to lift both arms all the way up to get bag out of can...wen I did this it caused very intense and worst time for the pain in belly button area..it was almost like something tore on the inside & ripped about one inch to my right of belly button then ripped straight down to my vaginal area...It took every thing inside me not to cry...I wrote an accident report and made dr apt dr couldn't feel anything so they wanted me to do ultrasound but bc I had told my boss of the pain feeling like someone was cutting my belly button...and how I have had sharp pain there b4 workmanship comp denied my claim and I was un able to afford the ultrasound....sorry to make this so long I just really need input frm someone who has similar pain...thank u so much!
Lemango- or anyone here... I have EXACT THING as Lemango has. Please... Has anyone (especially Lemango) been treated for anything??? Mine started 2 yrs ago, stabbing tiny pain at belly button, goes away for month, comes back for a weak, disappears a few months, comes back a few days... Goes away several months, comes back after turning the wrong way, or while changing, etc... It's BACK WITH A VENGEANCE! I have no insurance and am fighting going to ER. I'm afraid. Someone please advise if they've been diagnosed, and WHAT IT WAS, and if your problem has been FIXED. PLEASE..... I'm desperate. Thank you!
IF THE DOCS CAN'T FIGURE IT OUT, OBVIOUSLY WE HAVE TO!

Ok sorry, I just read ALL of the stories and want to add a few things I noticed. We have got to figure this out. I am disgusted that docs are clueless and won't explore this to come up with an actual diagnosis. Here's a bit about me... Maybe we can start to put pieces together.

My issues/symptoms that may help us figure it out.
-I have stabbing pain always within one half inch of edge of belly button. Now... It's actually dead on BB. I can put my fingertip on the sharp pain.
-Pain has gotten worse after eating but not always.
-Pain has gotten worse when bladder is full at times. Peeing can cause quick burst of same pain if I'm in "flare up" mode.
-Pain worse when walking/ straightening body.
-Pain may subside if I sit on couch in crouched position (like knees bent, feet up beside me, but not all the way under my bottom)
-Pain may not be bad all day. I never eat til dinner time. My eating patterns are 1 full meal a day, snacks later, 1 decaf coffee/day, 1 reg/coffee/day.
-I rarely eat fruits/veg.
-I AM VERY THIN. NOT OVERWEIGHT. 107 lb.
-I live a SEDINTARY (sit a lot and poor posture) lifestyle.

Medical:
- I have had cysts on ovaries repeatedly.
-I've been on birth control for years.
-It doesn't matter if I drink soda or Gatorade, or water. Pain still same.
-I have constant worry about my health and MID REGION is always the problem.
-3 months ago I had fingertip sized pain on very edge of rib cage (this is what covers your actual stomach organ) Doc suspected ulcer. Took Prilosec Perscription strength 45 days- pain went away but new pain started in entire stomach organ, with twisting ache, full feeling, knotting pain in the organ. Caused me to obsess and get depressed, didn't want to leave home. Finally got angry enough to "denounce" the pain & start moving around. It went away within a few days.
-JUST PRIOR TO (THE WEEK PRIOR) the stabbing belly button pain, the week before, I had pain that I thought was urinary tract. My friend, a doc, called in Cipro for me. The pain was strange. It hurt at top/center/inch left of pubic bone. Pain came in "throbbing waves", and was mostly IN my crotch, on left side of vaginal area (where ones panties cover, directly RIGHT of where your LEFT leg meets crotch, ON THE BONE. No amount if water helped, Cipro failed. Doc said its not a urinary infection. It went away yet FADED INTO the belly button pain, the SAME WAY my supposed ulcer faded into twisting pain.
-I've had, in last couple months, chest burning (severe) upon exercise/carrying laundry. This came with tightness in chest. A general doc did stress test and blamed SMOKING, and diagnosed COPD/emphysema. I doubt these are related but some of you said you had chest burning too, so I'm including it. This was one month prior to bb pain.
-I smoke a LOT.
**Once my bb pain flared up when a man was emotionally hurting me.
**Again a man is hurting me and this immediately started. ARE ANY OF YOU HAVING EMOTIONAL ISSUES WHILE IT'S HAPPENING?

And here's a really weird one, just for kicks. Try this. I have had nail fungus on toe and athletes foot. If you rub the webbing between your 2nd & 3rd toes, you'll feel an instant "twinge" in your middle abdomen. It feels funny, and strange. It's almost like there's a trigger there between toes. I looked it up. Sure enough I found there's a pressure point there that hits mid abdomen.

Anyone else - can you please document any weird other happenings before or during your "flare ups"? We have GOT TO GET TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS!

March 2013
Length of pain- on/off 2.5 yrs.
I went to bed with intense navel pain and the surrounding area last night and when I woke up this morning it was still there, so when I asked my brother about it he told me that means my belly is getting bigger and that I eat too much smh. Im not sure if he was kidding but he has a big belly so i figured he was speaking from experience. So that's another theory. But I will monitor it over the next couple of days
It works San2011, thanks. could you possibly provide explanation for this...
Started having problems after a routine pap test. I'm having navel & abdominal pain, with recently enlarged abdomen and sudden stretch marks, despite eating little since I feel so full that I can barely eat/drink/breathe. Going back in time, I went to a free government clinic 7 months ago for a routine pap test, started spotting 3 weeks later, and 3 months later went into labor and delivered a fetal-looking tissue with a tail, leg buds, curled head area, and black "eye" area. Two days later, a bifurcated cord attached to a placental-looking tissue with arteries/veins on one side and a whitish almost fat looking marbling look on that side, but the flip side had no veins only looked like red tissue. Lochia was discharged appx 6 weeks, as is normal. Began sudden hemorrhaging 5-6 times over 14 day period, I presumed from retained tissue. Had ultrasound, showed 1.5" x 1.5" x 1" hypoechoic mass inside lower uterine segment and enlarged uterus. Several days later discharge began smelling very awful with small pieces of brownish tissue. I called DR, but on vacation, so I reached in vagina w/2 fingers and felt cervix dilated with something poking out that I was able to grasp between 2 fingers and tug until it came out. It was appx 1.5" X .75" X .5 red fluffy mass (under microscope saw a few flat crystal-like fragments with jagged edges that when lifted off the tissue and pressed with a needle they shattered (what could these be?); also, were a few dark blackish long thread-like things that seemed very long and winding, sparsely imbedded in tissue, some single, some in groups that I dug out with needle and examined under microscope at 20X---hard to identify as I am a lay person, but looked somewhat like blood flukes (but blood test showed zero eiosinophiles (sp?), or Morgellen fibers, also saw what might have looked like Loa Loa (with spots interior of its body) in some of the previous brownish discharge,but I have never been to Africa, nor out of U.S.  A day later I reached in vagina to try to remove more tissue, and tugged out a piece of cylindrical red tissue that was firmer than prior, and had nothing embedded. Tissue removal solved smelling problem and the cervix is now closed but discharging tiny pinkish fragments seen in toilet bowel and brownish liquid daily on pads non-stop--I presume this is he uterus breaking down and the retained tissue, I can only hope. Abdomen is enlarged and now pain around navel for about 2 weeks and hurts so bad that I feel so full that I can barely eat or drink, and it is difficult to get a deep breath. A small amount of food or two glasses of water make me feel that I overstuffed at Thanksgiving. Meals cause immediate pain around navel, strong pain. Can barely have BM for last 45 days, when never had problem previously in my life. I have limited food intake last 2 weeks to clear what might be impaction caused by possibly "sympathetic contractions" in uterus/front lower pelvic area as BM is about to begin---center front pelvic area contracts painfully when attempting to BM that I react by preventing. Never before took a laxative in my life, but tried Senna on advice of pharmacist to evacuate digestive system in event of impaction---what a nightmare---the most painful diarrhea and abdominal pain--worse than being in labor and I had mine naturally. If I press on my navel area I get chest and heart area pains. Having bad nightmares of abdomen problems now due to ongoing pain during the night that is infiltrating dreams. Gas hurts painfully and intestinal system is not working properly. What should I do? Something is very wrong. One possible complication I forgot to mention is that prior to pulling the tissues out of the cervix, I started eating 3 bunches of parsley every 2 days made into pesto with olive oil, 12 garlic cloves, a cup of walnuts and cup of Parmesan cheese, put on crackers. The parsley intake was done to try to get cervix to dilate and uterus to contract to get the retained tissue out, which I think I got most of. (Could it be the garlic or excess parsley components that might have done something to the intestines? I read something about the oil overdose can be deadly and can affect intestines. I do not smoke or drink, and eat organic home grown fruits, went years without sugar, but did begin drinking coffee over the last year. I realize none of my problems are from my diet, with the exception of the parsley/garlic excess recently. Also, I read that with In Vitro Fertilization, that if an excess of follicle stimulating hormone is given to a women that it can cause complications with pain around navel that radiates up to the shoulder (right I believe), and cause pelvic inflammation, among other problems. My symptoms seem to mirror that information. 7 months ago after the pap test, the phlebotomist inserted a large needle into my arm and kept pushing the plunger in while she dug it deeper into my arm and twisted it a bit---not sure if a hormone was injected or what, or if nothing. I am post menopausal. All seems strange, confusing, interesting, frustrating, but mostly concerning now as I am in pain and need my abdomen and digestive system to return to normal. I feel like I am going to pop. I can only wonder if something passed through the fallopian tubes and ovaries and has gotten into the abdominal cavity and attached or is causing other complications not detected by the pelvis ultrasound; I did not have an abdominal u.s. What should I do? Where should I go, and what should I have done? Who should I trust? I was healthy and fine until 3 weeks after the pap test at the government-run clinic, then all this started...yes, I am convinced the clinic is doing some of kind of undisclosed research on postmenopausal women, or else they inserted an unclean pap brush or speculum or ? that had cells from someone else, but I lean toward the research aspect. I had not had intercourse for over a decade. Is there anyone else out there who had any similar kind of experience after going to a clinic for a routine pap test? Most of you out there who are sexually active of child-bearing years would never know the difference between your own tissue being miscarried, or foreign tissue. I however was sure nothing came from intercourse. No, it was not a hydatidiform mole. I would love to post the photos if there is any way to, for feedback. the sequence of events and timing are too coincidental to not be questioned.  
Your symptoms mirror mine.  What has transpired since your post several years ago? Did your problems cease, or did you have any medical intervention that helped?
I had similar pain to what you are describing. I was having the pain but they completely ruled out a hernia. In my tenth grade year of high school they found out that the line from my umbilical cord to my bladder never closed up after birth, turning my belly button in to a giant hole to the inside of me that would occasionally get infected. They told me that usually this is caught when a child is an infant but for some reason it slipped by my doctors. I don't remember the term for it. I do remember them doing an ultra sound and not seeing it. They could not see it until they did a dye test to look at my bladder. It's very rare but it DOES happen.I hope that helps.  
That is me too!  Let me know what comes of this.  Thank you, TLC
I had hernia repair in my belly  button back in 2011 and I have a mash to cover my hole were my intestines coming out. And still to this day I have sharp pain shooting in my belly button.
I have started to have awful bellybutton pains since this morning, I have just looked within and I have a ***** discharge, my stomach has swollen and ive been feeling ill, im worried about what it could be, help please?:/
this exact thing has been happening to me for years,even as i'm typing this, and as a teenager my doctor told me it was just a minor urinary infection, so i usually just drink a lot of water and eventually it goes away( normally i don't drink a lot of water so it reoccurs).
I too have the same issue and just had surgery on Monday for a hernia. My husband told me the doctor said they did not find the hernia even though the scan showed there was suppose to be one there.
I have had a pain in my belly button, off and on, since I was a teenager. I have ultra sounds scopes and every test that I can think of since then. I was also very thin as a teen and for many years after, at first they found nothing and said it could be because I wore tight pants as a teen. As I have gotten older and gained a few pounds I find that when I lift, or do yoga bending twisting aggravating that area seems to make my belly button feel as the other ladies described as a sharp pain like someone is pulling from the inside. I have also been diagnosed with PID ( Pelvic Inflamatory Disease ) sorry not sure of spelling on that one. I have also had my Gualbladder taken out ( again spelling ). I was told surgery would not be an option as it would not help. Just be careful it could be a hernia from scar tissue , put ice on it and relax for a couple days. I know its aggravating but it seems it will be one of those things we women will have to put up with