Never had vaginal odor until now

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Never had vaginal odor until now

I'm 22 years old, and I have never had unpleasant vaginal odor until about 3 weeks ago. I have been married 3 years, my husband was my second sexual parter, and I was tested for std's shortly before I was married. I have a good marriage, so I don't think my husband is bringing in diseases. I shower regularly, and can't think of any reason why I have gone 22 years wihtout bad odor and now have it! Even my husband made mention to it being quite bad, and he's never made mention before! I don't have any other symptoms, no discharge, no itching-nothing. I have even tried washing down there extra thouroughly, it's not helping, why this sudden odor? Please help!
Muffin1 it sounds to me like you have Bacterial Vaginosis. The number one symptom is a foul fishy odor.Sometimes that is the only symptom there is. It is not an STD. It is an infection where the amount of harmful bacteria (naturally found in all women's vagina's )has an over growth, thus causing this infection. It is a rather normal infection. Some women ,especially those with IUD's are more sucseptable to getting BV. I would go to your Doctor to get a diagnosis. If it is BV(Which it sounds to be) all you have to do is take antibiotics and steer clear of sex until fully treated.
***  One important note....Before you go to the Doctor do not douche or try to cover up the smell....That odor is part of the diagnosis process.
****I have an IUD and I get Bv about once a month.It is unpleasant, but it can be treated. I had BV before I got my IUD as well. It is a perfectly common infection and is nothing to be embarressed about .
Bleeding is bad enough once a month but to have bad vag odor once a month tooo.......OMG No thank you!
Well that's a big side effect of having an IUD. I got pregnant on Orthotricyclen-Lo .....so I am a little liery about trusting the pill again. I love my Baby girl, but I definately am not ready for another baby just yet .
Muffin1 I hope everything works out for you.
I for one do not like the way the IUD sounds at all.....But cant comment on it or really give an opinion Because I am not allowed to use Birth control.....Everyones opinion on birth control will very. I have heard of lots of people who got pregnant while on the pill.........
Thanks for the insight, I will schedule an appt. with my OB, and get this **** cleared up.
I got an IUD about 2 1/2 months ago and just recently developed an odor- I need to find a new OB because my ob- is lazy, and tells everyone "oh- thats  normal" no matter what it is!
to comment on the IUD- It hurt like HELL- but now Im back to normal, and the cramps arent as bad, though once a month along with the odor, comes strond intra uterine cramping- like needles being shoved into my uterus- I wonder if there is something wrong- Thank you all for the input- I am going to contact a different ob to get things cleared up!!
I have a very unpleasant vag odor, I have seen my gyn several time and been tested and show no infection. when i use the bathroom i smell real bad. after walking it is strong and smell of urine sometime, i notice no discharge or itching.when bathing it not noticable until up into the day when activity gwt to going, i smells it,i know other smells it.
have you check for bladder leakage? but maybe its just a ph imbalance issue. since you notice the smell when you have activities like walking, you might be sweating a little more and the sweat may be throwing off the acidic nature of the vajayjay.  you can try OTC vaginal gel like rephresh. it keeps the vagina's ph at a healthy level, getting rid of odor and itch. its simple and easy to use. give it a try!
I had my IUD remove nearle 5 wks ago and have disgusting odour coming from my vagina. I'm so angry that i can't seem to get rid of it by washing/spraying/ wearing pads etc still watching food intake types of material and i'm already a bit overweight so walking causes chaifing now this smell. I don't feel comfroatble being around people let alone getting intimate. Need help/advice and will now proceed to see my GP but would love professional advice in the meantime.

Cranky Pants
I have hd this odor for a long time it was bad when  I was carrying my second child it selled like cat pee but I had my son 2 mths ago and now it smells almost like a drty diper I ill think it is my son until I relize it is me even my husband cant stand it I am clean and it only occors when I peethe it is there so I bieve it is my urine but I have went to gyns and doctors no infections changed my diet and trien whipes pads all pleas help and I just got an IUD but the smell hs been around for almost 2 yrs... thank you
I have been married for 14yrs and just about 3/4mths ago i noticed after having sex a very bad odor that stays around for 2dys" I do wash myself after having sex but it doesnt help" Also I wanted to ask if anyone else has this problem do you have a bad urine ordor after going to the bathroom? It is so bad that I could still smell it after flushing the toliet its not a antibotic (antibiotic) smell is a bad smell i cant explain?? I dont have a doctor or insurance so I am trying to find out what to buy in stores for this. PLEAS HELP!
I've had my IUD for about 18 months and I smell like a wet rat or something.  It's awful. I've taken meds for bacterial infection and the doctors give it to me everytime I go in with the complaint.  I'm getting the IUD removed soon.
Hey guys, I'm sorry to tell you but your smell,if not found to be an infection/STD, is due to your diet.  I found out through my acupuncturist that when you eat what they call "heating' foods, it causes nasty odors. He told me to stop eating SUGAR, FRIED FOOD, CAFFIENE and any other toxins such as smoking or drinking! So, out of despertion I did for 3 months. Guess what? My odour is completely gone!! And when I indulge in these things again, it comes back. I also, as a nice side effect/ bonus lost 5 kgs.  I also have an IUD (Multiload NOT the Marina) for the past 2 years and I thought that was the reason. I have had one daughter who is now 4. The facts are that what he said worked and that's all there is to it. Give it a go! Oh, by the way, I also found that douching with a plain white yogurt really helped!:)
How do you douche with plain white yogurt?  I have grown up in the "you really shouldn't douche because it throws off your natural balance age".  I know they have OTC products but I don't think that's what you're talking about.
My boyfriend and I had sex 2days ago, and since my vagina has a really bad odor. I never had a odor(and this one smells horrible), and the inner vagina is a little swollen. Could it be bacterial vaginosis , or an std like "chlamydia" ? I made a "GYN" appointment already. I'm worried! Hopefully its something minor, that can be cured. Can someone give me feed back on what they suspect it may be ? PLEASE HELP
You know, I thought i was the only person in the world with this problem.  I have a great job but it's getting more and more difficult to deal with due to my vaggie odor.  I've gone to several types of docs - gyn, endocrinologist and dermotologist.  I've taken all kinds of test and all were negative.  the endo doc gave me some water pills to relieve me of the sweating - that was all she could come up with.  
I can attest to the embarrassment you might cause.  I was told I had Hyperhydrosis, which is rare in adults cuz it mostly occurs in teens that are going thru puberty.  Honestly, I don't think the docs know what the hell they are doing sometimes but they are taking my money.
I am on my 4th year of having a IUD and have noticed over the past two years all of a sudden a fishy vaginal order appeared now its just gotten worse to wear its embarrassing my husband has said anything about it but I know he does I think he just wants to not hurt my feelings....year before last my OB told me it was BV I took the antibiotics but a few months later the smell came back I just recently started using Rephresh and it seems to work for maybe about a day or so then the smell is back and I notice after using it I have heavy discharge that occurs I didnt get a checkup last year because I didn't have insurance I have insurance this year and have made a appt. but in the meantime can anyone offer any help?

JenLady
I had the IUD placed 6 months ago, and since then the last few months my vaginal odor is completely disgusting!!! It is embarrassing, I smell it when I stand up, when I sit, or when I shift in my seat. It smells like stool sometimes and sometimes like a weird fishy smell. I take 2 baths a day and wash my vagina another 2-3 times during the day. This has never happened to me! My husband has noticed and it is embarrassing, I do not want to do anything, because at work I feel like everyone can smell it as well as with my husband, I love the convenience of the IUD but I can't take the smell! PLEASE HELP!!
I don't have BV and the odor is there. Went to the OB/GYN and he prescribed me Flagyl is this a normal prescription for this?  But all of my test came back negative.
I’ve had the same problem and finally solved it, and it was so easy!!  I feel so much better and so much more comfortable now that it’s resolved.  I wanted to post something about this because I noticed on a lot of comments when I was searching for answers that people are going on antibiotics and that may not be necessary.

I got a Mirena IUD about 2 months ago and I’ve had spotting and bleeding most days since I got it.  My doctor told me the bleeding should clear up after about 3 months.  I ended up noticing that my vaginal odor was getting worse and worse no matter how much I washed and I was feeling really embarrassed about it.  My doctor told me that because of constantly having blood in my vagina (even a small amount) I ended up with bacterial vaginosis.  Thank goodness the solution was simple.  My doctor told me to douche twice a day (I’ve only done it once a day) with a vinegar douche.  He specifically said not to use anything except vinegar and water.  I went to a drugstore to buy a douching product just to get the applicator (I bought summer’s eve douche – which should not be used because it has fragrance in it and it can make things worse).  I got a 1 liter screw-cap wine bottle, washed it out and rinsed it well and mixed 2 tbs of apple cider vinegar (you can also use plain white vinegar) and filled the rest with water.  I refill the applicator from the summer’s eve product every day and use it in the shower.  The reason this works is because the vinegar makes your vaginal PH more acidic (the way it’s supposed to be) so that the bad bacteria die out.  It made a huge difference after just one use and that was about a week ago.  I can’t believe how much better I feel now.  If you want to get something that’s a little loger lasting than douching, I also bought a product called Rephresh which is great too.  Just google it to get more info.  Good luck girls!  Don’t worry – there’s a simple solution that you can do today for virtually no cost.