One ovary

A community for people with Women's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

One ovary

Is it possible to be born with only one ovary? If so, what side effects would this come along with? Would it be possible to be born with no ovary, but not know it for twenty or so years? And is this harmful or could it be?
It would be possible to be born with one ovary, or with no ovaries.  If you had only one, there is no real signal to you that you don't have two -- your remaining ovary will take over the work of both and you will have normal cycles and normal fertility etc. (unless there is some other problem).  If you had NO ovaries entirely, you would know it.
Avatar n tn
i agree
Avatar n tn
Thank you so much. Now I will tell you why I asked. My sister is pregnant. After nine years of marriage, she thought she couldn't conceive.  This is going to be a very sensitive pregnancy. She is a Diabetic and extremely obese.  She went for her first ultra-sound last Thursday and there were a few things very strange. One is they found the yolk sac, but no baby. The other was, one of her ovaries could not be found. Could this be the reason it took her so long to get pregnant?  We are very worried about this pregnancy because her hcG levels are rising but not doubling.  She is supposed to go back for another ultra-sound next Thursday.  Her doctor said they will no something for sure then. Either they will see a baby ( good pregnancy) or they wont ( not so good). Her doctor even told her theres a possibility that she isn't as far as long as first calculated. According to her periods, when she had the first ultra-sound, she should have been 8 weeks, but she was told accoding to her measurements and the appearance of the yolk sac, she was only five.
If she is only 5 weeks, the ultrasound is normal.  You don't see much at 5 weeks.  Diabetics can handle and manage pregnancies; it is more dangerous for her that she has a serious weight problem.  It might be also why they couldn't see the second ovary -- sometimes the "fluff" is so much that they don't even see the embryo for a long time, much less an ovary that is not always so visible on ultrasound.  Good luck to her!  I hope she finds a way (and the will) to manage her weight during this time.
KTowne, Shannon79, pb95, and Belle313 commented on Belle313's status
gymdandee commented on Gun Disarm Technique...
KTowne 11 more days until we find ... Comment
Menstrual Tracker
Track your cycles
Reach your weight goals