PERIOD HASN'T STOPPED

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

PERIOD HASN'T STOPPED

I HAVE BEEN BLEEDING NONSTOP SINCE MARCH!   AT FIRST IT WAS A HEAVY FLOW WITH LARGE BLOOD CLOTS UNTIL I WENT TO THE EMERGENCY ROOM AND ALL THEY DID THERE WAS GIVE ME A HIGH DOSAGE SHOT OF THE DEPO BIRTH CONTROL SHOT WHICH SLOWED IT DOWN.  NOW I AM BEGINNING TO CRAMP AND PASS BLOOD CLOTS AGAIN.

I HAVE MADE MANY GYNO APOOINTMENTS BUT THEY TELL ME THE CAN'T DO ANYTHING(PAP SMEAR) MAINLY BECAUSE I AM BLEEDING.  COME BACK WHEN I AM NOT BLEEDING WHICH I DON"T KNOW WHEN THAT WILL BE.  SO I HAVE TO LIVE WITH UNTIL THEN.

BTW I AM 37, HAVE HAD A TUBAL LIGATION 8 YEARS AGO, AND PERIOD WAS NORMAL UNTIL FEBRUARY.  DIDN'T HAVE A PERIOD IN JANUARY OR FEBRUARY.

ANY INFO WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED...THANKS!

Why haven't they started you on birth control to try to stop it?  Depo doesn't work for everyone even as a birth control.  I'd go back and find out if there are other options because this isn't able to be tolerated.  Tell them about your tubal litigation and the missed periods and tell them you want them to run tests and blood work that may be applicable, not just brush you aside again with just a shot that doesn't do much and a pap smear that doesn't tell them anything. They can do an ultrasound and such, too.  Heck, they need to run blood work to make sure you aren't headed toward anemia.  You've been on your period for three months. That is way too long, and your doctors are not making good decisions.  Don't go back to the same gyno.  This one's obviously not got your interests in mind.
They need to give you something to stop the bleeding, so they can start doing pap smears and checking to see if there is anything to see. Have they done an ultrasound? They could check your ovaries to see if you have any cysts causeing the bleeding. They can't do an internal ultrasound until the bleeding is done, but they can do an external. Talk to your dr about starting on Provera. This may help stop the bleeding, then once it stops you can go on birth control to control it. Sounds like you may have a hormonal inbalance, which can cause the bleeding to be abnormal.
THANKS FOR THE INFO.  I REALLY APPRECIATE IT.