Pain above left breast, left armpit and shoulder

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Hi. Since April I have had pain above my left breast. It's not constantly there, but it comes and goes. Sometimes it feels like a burning pain, other times it feels like a cramp. I've also felt it in my armpit at times and it will also creep up over my shoulder. Although I VERY RARELY feel it on the right side, it DOES happen once in awhile. But for the most part it's been my left side. I've had all the heart tests, including stress echo, I've had an MRI of my brain and neck, I've had a breast exam. I've even seen a chiropractor. Every test they've done comes back normal. And nothing seems to help. I've tried aspri - doesn't work. I try massaging my breast and shoulders and that seems to help a tiny bit. Usually the pain is very dull...but one night I woke up in excruciating pain for about 10 seconds, then it went back to being dull. I'm 24, and I am being treated for Anxiety/Panic Disorder. My Psychiatrist does not think it's related. Does ANYONE have ANY ideas about what could be going on with me?!?!?!
Viewing 1-200 comments:
sounds like it could maybe be  a pulled muscle or ligament maybe. try ibuprofin and a heating pad maybe that will help.
What muscle could be pulled that would cause pain in both above the chest and my armpit/shoulder? Or what ligament could/would be torn? My doctors don't know what to do with me anymore. I've tried Ibruprophen AND aspirin as well as Naproxen, but I'm not sure if they work seeing as how the pain comes and goes so quickly anyway. And, do pulled muscles last for more than 7 months? It's not a pain I have every day, and I seem to excecise okay, too. I haven't tried a heating pad next time and see if that will help at all. Thanks for the advice.
I have an almost identical pain to you except that I feel the pain 95% of the time.  I have gotten similar x-rays, mri of brachioplex, mri of cervical spine, cat scan of chest, stress test, EKG, Echocardiogram. They havn't found anything except for an enlarged thymus gland.  They are keeping an eye on it and i need to get another cat scan in 2 months time to see if it gets larger in size, as of now it is in the normal variance range.  They dont' seem to think it could result in the pain i am having though and have classified it as a red herring.  This leaves me with the pain that I've always had and now a new problem to worry about.  I need to find out what this is.  If anyone thinks they know please help!!!

Brad
I have looking online to see what it is I have when I found your comment.   I have the exact same pain above my left breast.  I have also had many tests done, heart exams etc, and everything seems to be fine.   I have also had an anxiety problem for the past two years!  I guess I am not sure to be able to help you find out what the problem is exactly, however, I think it helps to know that someone else has the same problem.  :o s   Although I don't believe we have pulled a muscle, I think this might have something to do with muscle tension.  I am not sure if your neck and upper back hurt at all, but mine do.   These muscles are connected to each other, so maybe that would have something to do with the chest pain.
Hi i have the very same problem and also suffer with anxiety so i wonder if the two are linked as i have only had both problems a year and am generally much better but it seems if i have a bad day (not too many now) then the shoulder and breast pain come back, i get the pain in my breast first this really worries me and i get sore the next day under my arm and then the shoulder pain follow's, i think the key is try not to worry about it too much and see it as another anxiety symtom if all test's come back clear, easier said than done when you have anxiety though i know.
I am having these pains as well. I too have stress and anxiety issues. Anyone find anything out?

I AM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEMS.  MY CHEST ABOVE MY BREAST AND UNDER MY ARM AND IN MY UPPER BACK..  IT FEELS LIKE BURNING AND DULL PAIN.  THAN AGAIN IT IS SCARY TOO.  I ALSO HAVE ANXIETY AND I AM TAKING ZOLOFT AND ATIVAN FOR THIS.  
Pain over my left breast started just after I told a man I love very much that I was perfectly happy we were breaking up.  Doctors now diagnose something called "broken heart syndrome" where people that suffer a sudden loss can have a heart attack because the brain releases adrenaline and other chemicals that stun the heart.  I wonder if a less severe/less unexpected emotional pain can lead to this sort of dull ache in the arteries leading to the heart, ie, further to the left of the heart.  It seem logical to me that if the brain can suddenly release a lot of chemicals that shock the heart, it can also more slowly release chemicals that cause aching around the heart.  But I am absolutely not a doctor.  Anyhow, I'm happy to read what you all have posted, that people can live with this sort of dull ache above the breast, even if it isn't fun.  Many reputable doctors believe emotional health and physical health are linked, but this is definitely the first time my heart has literally ached after a break up.
I have this problem as well but it's above the right breast and in the right shoulder blade area. It feels like it goes right through from front to back. I first noticed it after I moved something extremely heavy, but  it doesn't go away. I haven't had a mammogram in years and it's scary. And the stress in my life is almost crushing - I wake up hyperventilating, but it's been that way for years. This pain is relatively new.
I have the same intermittent top left breast pain and was treated with anxiety a month ago. My case is very similar to Palla. I am getting married soon and faced alot of issues which made me emotionally drained. I like the naming of this (broken heart syndrome) as it meant exactly how I felt. I am fighting hard to make this pain go away and thought could happen through better emotional control. I read one book which certainly helped me - Destructive Emotions. From this book, I understood that buddists meditate and it brings them peace and calm which is the direct counter to destructive emotions (negative feelings). I also spoken to people from other religions, and found out that they pray and by doing so, they feel peace and calm. I am a free-thinker now, but I finally understand a little on why people turned to religion. I may explore this option if nothing else seems to work.
Pain on Right Side above breast.
Something is going on here and I don't think doctors know. I've have the exact pain as described by all of you.
I comes and goes and last for about 30sec. to a minute then go away.
It's a very sharp pain (resulting to putting you in a fetal position because it hurts so bad) in the upper right side just above the breast.
My doctor diagnose me with "Costochondritis" Here is a website to check the symtoms (symptoms) out. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/costochondritis/DS00626

But I don't think this is it. It doesn't feel like a bone is affected at all, It's moreso in the breast itself.
I have the same upper left breast pain. (under arm pit)  I also feel it once and a while on the right side as well.  I just recently changed jobs and am experiencing a lot of stress.  Thought it could be a heart issue, however I'm only 34 and in pretty good shape. (Played high school sports as a kid)  After reading the above I've come to realize that the increased stress and anxiety (new job, new baby, etc.) may cause you to worry at little more that you should.  Getting older doesn't help either.
I am 18 and have chronic heart burn. I have these tension pains and sometimes needle tingling pains above my left breast. Then sometimes if feels like i slept wrong on my shoulder, like I can't get a comfortable postion. Tension in armpit and right outside it. whole left arm soreness feeling. I get pain sometimes as it seems right at the bottom of my left ribcage.

I do have a lot of stress and anxiety though, just never thought that it could cause problems to where you think you're having a heart attack. Which is NEVER fun ;(

Just also for a side note, ecstacy and stimulants seem to strengthen these symptoms for one reason or another,sometimes alcohol, which caused me to think it was a heart related problem. Ive had blood tests done, EKG, nothing heart related as they could see. They told me it is just bad GERD. (which to be quite honest i hope it is.)

any help on this would be greatly appreciated, as I'm sure theres 1000 other people that have this problem exactly.
I'm a lot older than you, but I wonder if the pain could be shoulder related.  I'm athletic too, and have had rotator cuff problems in my shoulder, which I definitely feel also in my upper chest and armpit.  Also I tend to strain my pectoral muscles (under the breast) when lifting things or doing weight training--pain feels in the breast but isn't.  Hope this helps.
I have the some problem. I have been to a very good Dr. she has indicated to me that the pain is anxiety/stress related. If you will research anxiety, (as my dr. has instructed me) you will find that chest pains are associated with anxiety. I am only 30 years old and thought I was having a heart attack.
Just, for the record, you are to young to be involved in ecstacy, alcohol and other stimulants. I hope that you are not involved in them, and that you were just throwing that information around for informational purposes only.
ive gotten that pain to im 10 help
i have the same problem but it is in the right breast, and sometimes come with heart palpitations. i have had an EKG done and wore a heart monitor but as well everything came back normal.... i like to think i am relatively stress free, but i have a good deal of it. I also played sports(soccer, basketball, cross-country, rugby, and swimming) from the ages of 6-18. Anyone got any clues yet at to what this could be?? i mean i have lived with it for a while, but if i could figure something out to fix it, it would be one less thing to worry about health wise.

*also have hypo-active thyroid
*age:20
*no kids
*was diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder a couple years back.
*not over weight or under weight
There is a common link between all of you but that link has to be found in order to solve the problem of the masses. I can say that I have the exact same problem but I don't take meds because I'm a naturalist and believe that meds harm the body instead of help it. Anywho! I have found since my children slept w/ me in the bed when they were infants and toddlers I had a tendency not to turn over in fear of crushing them and in turn causing me pain w/ the inability to rest properly. I now have to wake myself up and turn over for I can't do it while sleeping brain habits I suppose. So has anyone of you noticed that you wake hours later in the same position and exact spot you fell asleep in? This could be a crick in the shoulder like a crick in the neck caused by not lying on your pillow properly. Good Luck solving that one! If you do please let us know we are aching to find out. Ha! Ha!
I read your post and felt like I was reading my own words.  I too have been experiencing the same pain and tingling, and did also notice that stimulants made it worse.  Alcohol is bad for it too, I had a beer and was in agony.  I have had blood work done, a chest x-ray, ECG, and have been given muscle relaxants (that I never took) and Naproxen (that I never took) and was then told it's anxiety.  I feel like I'm losing my mind!!!  I am in pretty good shape, quit smoking in December of 2007, don't really drink, and eat healthy.  I too think that medicine does more harm then good, but I am getting to the end of my rope now and just want an answer as to what it is.  I've had a tingling sensation also over my belly like someone is sliding a sewing needle gently across my belly.  Not too painful, but annoying, like pins and needles.  They tested my thyroid and kidneys, found nothing.  Are we all mental?  Does anyone have any insight into this?
I too have had the same pain. My right breast is sometimes sore to press on at the top and also on the front of the chest next to right breast. Also sometimes feel pain under my right arm pit and I also get pins and needles in back right shoulder. I have'nt had any tests done because I know over the years I have had many problems due to a fear of cancer. My last problem was burning tongue syndrome. Which lasted about 6 months. I just needed to keep telling myself there is nothing wrong with me. But once I got over that I now have come down with this breast thing. I do believe it is an anxiety, stress thing. It tends to get worse at night espeacially when I am laying in bed. The pain and the feeling is very real. I think I may have pulled something exercising back in April. But because of my irrational fear of cancer, I have been poking around and probably making the situation worse. I know that I have a problem with the whole cancer fear thing but it is so hard to overcome. I refuse to take anti depressants. I will overcome this problem. But when the next pain comes I will think that I have something else wrong with me. An irrational fear can turn a normal ache, that other people wouldn't even give a second thought to, into some huge disease. Try and be positive and just know that your mind can play a lot of tricks on you.
Hi, i can't believe there are so many other people out here with the same problem, yesterday i took a day of work and went straight to the hospital with my fiance as i was so afraid of these pains, im getting married this october and find it really hard to participate in anything to do with the wedding because of this pain, i keep fearing its cancer, but my doctors say no, hospital said it could be stress and told me to have physiotherapy done, i can't even exercise, it's made my life difficult, first it was just my left breast at the top now its my arm, neck, shoulder and back, i hope we all get better.
I am a 25 year old female.  I too have this pain, it comes and goes.  But it is really sharp at times, right above my left breast.  The pain also seems to come when my stomach is really hungry and growling.  It sounds crazy, but it's true.  Has anyone else experienced the same feeling?
I have delt with anxiety my entire life i am 27 almost 28 and know the feeling of the cramping you have talked about. I get it around the time I have an attack but also if i haev heartburn which my doc says can also cause anxity like symptoms. I get them so bad i cant breathe at times and I double over in pain. I have had all the fancy tests from EKG's to x-Rays blodd tests for heart attacks to the echoecardio gram.......if it bothers you ask the doc about taking a med for heart burn and or indegestion or have them check you for those things. I hope i was of some help. I know its scary but remember you are ok and you can get through this. If i can get through it being pregnant you can do it to!!!!
I am a 40 yr. old female and I have just started having these pains on the side/top of my left breast that goes down to armpit. It is really scaring me, I'm thinking it's cancer, always thinking the worst.... But reading your posts makes me feel better as I too have had to deal with much stress the last two years and anxiety runs in my family as well. I think I will try some relaxation techniques before visiting the doc.
I am a 42 yo male who within the last few days has developed pain in my left arm pit and at times feels like it is in the pectoral muscle nearby as well, but mostly in the arm pit.  I have felt badly almost flu like for several days, but it started after the pain.  It is a dull pain and I went in for a checkup thinking I might have a clogged artery.  My doctor was not concerned and did an ECG to be sure and it came back fine.  I feel no lumps, but I am wondering about a lymph node infection.  I see the posts are mostly female and I wanted to add to your discussion to let you know whatever this is affects males too.  Hopefully one of us can get to the bottom of it.  As an FYI, my job's stress level has risen in the last few weeks, I see stress common in several posts.  Thanks
I am 30 yr.old female. I recently with in this year have had some  sparadic pain in my left breast under armpit.
I too have had some weird out of the blue cramp and shooting pain in the far left side of my breast and it feels like a charlie horse in my left breast  bcuz I cannot move for a few seconds even trying to breath  makes it worse when I have these occurences. I really get scared. I don't know what it is I would like to find out. If any one can help please advise?
I have had ekg, 24 hr holter I am fine according to the Doc.
HI all Im a 26 year old female and I have some very similiar pain.  I have a dull pain in my armpit sometimes swelling there are well.  Paid and numbness up and down my arm.  Sometimes there is pain in my left breast.  I have had a bone scan, nerve study, stress test, ekg and a breat exam.  For the most part everything tiks normal.  At this point I think I have to live with this the rest of my life
From agout age 40 to now ( age 60 ) I have had anxiety, panic attacks and then great periods of relief.  Got off all meds, and have had several relapses.  Found that the pain you all have been describing coincides with anxiety/panic attacks, and that usually causes digestive disorders.  Most of the time, the pain is related to the times right after I eat.  Believe it or not, heartburn has a few of the same symptoms.  The Costochondritis diagnosis is another possibility.  I notice most of us have received that.  From what I understand, the seretonin issue is the biggest one, and that men and women react and need different levels, even in treatment.  To the gal that is taking extascy, may I say that one of the combinations that can cause anxiety is the combination you listed.  Can't take those kinds of drugs and not expect problems.  Meds are probably needed, and finding the right one is a journey in itself.  Biggest thing is to start slowly and give each drug time.  Small doses until you find your right  one.  As a "believer" prayer and counselling are a must. Stress is the bad guy here, and managing it is the answer.  Unfortunately, we all react differently, and there isn't one pat answer.  Good luck to all and God bless.
CAW
I have been getting this pain on top of my left breast for a while(then it comes and goes in my shoulder) It really makes me crazy not cause of the pain but because of fear of a heartatack. Has anyone with this sort of pain ever found out it was their heart? Is the pain with heart problems more in the center of your chest? I do feel a little crazy!
22 year old female. This makes me feel so much better about my similar pain that goes from my left shoulder down into my armpit. I too had an EKG and it came out normal. It started a couple months before my wedding and i figured it was just stress. But now the wedding is over and im STILL having this pain. I feel so frustrated because it wont go away. It definitely comes on when im stressed or after i have a cigarette (which i NEED to stop). I too have a problem with anxiety and take anti anxiety meds that help. I just wish it would go away all together!
Hi. I also was diagnosed with anxiety and depression years ago. I am no longer on medicine. I am 24 years old and  currently 22wks pregnant and have a 10 mth old son. I am constantly stressing out over everything. I can't seem to help it. I have had a really bad pregnancy this time with getting sick, headaches, feeling faint, gerd, and chest pain. Feeling like this is a big stresser in itself. Recently I have had a burning sensation that is not where my gerd would normally affect me. I have it above my left breast and it radiates to my neck and i feel like i can't breath as well as normal. Lately any thing that hurts on me, I fear it is going to kill me. I fear dying horribly bad and I am afraid this pain might have to do with my heart. Although, I have been to the doctors and the said my heart and lungs sound good. but no test were done. Do you think this could be my anxiety affecting me? Have you had these symptoms? I have a presciption for zoloft but am afraid to take it because of my unborn baby.
I can't believe I stumbled upon this forum. I have sore breast/armpit/back/shoulder pain. It has come on since I had a panic attack last month. The feelings change from tingling to burning to sore to pulsing to itchy. It is primarily on my left side, but I get a little on my right at times.

I am on zoloft for the anxiety and working with a therapist, but the pain is still there.

I thought there must be something seriously wrong with me. I can't believe how many others mention this same pain.

Has anyone received any type of explanation from a doctor?
I am fifty three years old and have had chest arm pit and shoulder pain foranout 12 years. I have been diagnosed with costcchondritis, have had EKGs, thread mill and everything came out negative. I now a burning sensation under my arm and there is definitely alump undermy arm. I will be seeing the doctor today about this new development. I am very concerned.
I, too, have suffered from panic/anxiety/PTSD for the past 5 1/2 years and have the pain in my breast and under my arm.  Often I have tingling down my arms or the muscles in my biceps will tighten up and cause pain.
I believe, from working with a panic disorder specialist, that this is the cause of an over abundance of adrenalin.  The fear of fear is what causes our panic/anxiety attacks and that, I feel, is what causes the pain.
But, that doesn't make it any less real or painless!  Last night at a friend's house I experienced a huge anxiety attack where both arms, my face & head, and chest felt tingly and my legs cramped.  I though for sure I was going to die.  Today I have the chest/under arm pain.  
Adrenalin rushes suck as it is the cause for all of this heartache and confusion.  If we can get that under control life would be much less painful.
I went through the CHAANGE program for anxiety and it helped dramatically!  I am only taking clonazepan occasionally as I understand what is happening to my body - the adrenalin rush (am I spelling that correctly?).  However, I'm not completely over it...but I'm getting there!
Good luck everyone.  Forums such as these are a blessing.
LOL I love your theory Palla! I agree I believe that it should be named the Broken Heart Syndrome. The pain over my left breast does not move to other parts of my body, it remains right where my heart is. It started off withheavy pressure on my chest though. I didn't start having these pains until I realized although I'm still very much in love that I needed to divorce my now ex-husband. After the divorce the pain subsided but came back last Sunday after he sent me a text msg. Weird huh? I mean we both wanted the divorce and I'm happy. Maybe my heart just need a little time to get over the emotional roller coaster ride he put me on for the last time. LOL I do plan to go to the doctor too.
I have had both HEARTBURN and ANXIETY problems for awhile now. I went to the doctor and she said that what many people don't know it that these problems are related to each other and can have similar symptoms and can affect each other. STRESS is a major cause of both!
To treat my HEARTBURN symptoms she told me I could take Prilosec OTC or Zantac 175. This would help with the heartburn which would then help with the anxiety. If after 2 weeks on Prilosec and/or 4 weeks of taking Zantac (don't take them at the same time because they are the same thing, just take one or the other, or in my case take one first and then the other) my symptoms went away. I also chose to eat things that wouldn't irritate my stomach (I stayed away from caffeine, fried food, acidic food, pop, etc.). The bad news is that heartburn and anxiety come and go. They never get fully treated. So my doctor said if my symptoms returned I could begin taking the medicine again and if that still didn't help I should come and see her for other treatment options.
As for the ANXIETY, I went to a psychologist and had group sessions where I learned about panic and anxiety and ways to cope with them. Basically you need to view the situations that make you anxious in a different light by breaking them down and getting to the root of your anxious thinking. An example of this would be say you are really anxious about loosing your job or breaking up with you significant other. Then on a scale of 1-100 you rate how anxious you are about it. After that you go through the things that make you anxious about it. Job-if I don't have a job I won't be able to pay for rent, food, clothes, etc. Break up- I won't ever be happy again, they must not love me, I would die if I lost them, I'm not good enough, etc. Then you break down those thoughts even further and say well if I do loose my job what can I still pay for, are their other jobs I can get, etc. Same with the break up- if we did break up I would still be able to date other people, I'm not actually going to die if we break up, they weren't good enough for me... Then you re-evaluate your anxiety level on the same 1-100 scale on the issue- hopefully your anxiety should have gone down after you thought through the situation. I think that those are the key points in that process, but there are many other ways in which to reduce anxiety drug-free just by changing your thinking.
Key points from this are that instead of thinking "what if" you should think "what then" because you will be thinking more reasonably about the situation. Also it is important to recognize that there are really things to be anxious about- anxiety is good- if we didn't have it our lives would be boring- we just need to have a healthy level of it and not over think things.
My best advice to anyone suffering the symptoms mentioned in other people's comments and mine are:
1. Try and relax. Take a bath, do something that calms you down.
2. Don't dwell on the negative it will just make the pain worse.
3. Eat a better diet. Heartburn has a lot to do with these symptoms so if you can eat less fatty, acidic foods and stay away from caffeine and alcohol you should begin to feel better.
4. Write it down- document when you feel the pain, what you have been doing lately, and what foods you have eaten. You might find a correlation between you symptoms and what you are doing. (Usually you don't feel the symptoms until awhile after you have been stressed, at least that's how it is for me, it's like your body builds it up until it can't take it any longer.)
5. If your symptoms don't go away or get worse, go to a doctor. They can prescribe something stronger to help you and may even find a deeper issue at hand. But like a lot of people said there is not much doctors know about how all this is related and should be treated so understand that they might not be able to do as much as you would like.
I hope what I have said will help you and that your pain will go away soon!!
I am also currently experiencing the pain you describe but it is above my right breast and goes under my armpit. It's not there all the time and sometimes I feel a similar pain between my shoulder blades favoring the right shoulder blade in particular. I do have a gallstone and have experienced the lower right side pain and nausea plus the shoulder blade pain but this right upper side pain is new to me. I have been terrified of pulmonary embolism or something but I think it must be either gallbladder related or stress related. The only other thing I can think of is that I started a new fitness regime and overdid it a bit for the first time. I ended up a few days later with a terrible lower backache which lasted about a week. This pain does appear to have coincided to some degree, give or take a few days, but it's not really 100% clear if that's the case. I'm interested to read what people's Drs are saying, most seem to point to stress as the cause. I may visit the Dr myself if this carries on for much longer.
I don't think my pain is the same , I am a side sleeper ,43 yrs old . I have been complaining about left sided pain off and on ,the left side of my breast is tender my shoulder and I get pain  sometimes in my leg I also get chest pains I can't sleep on my side if feels like it falls asleep. I have had a doopler on my legs and been to a cardiologist, and they did the stress test and said my heart is in good shape  seems to be getting worst I have had spinal surgeries ,I am wondering has anyone experience that kind of pain it feels as if my whole left side is getting very weak . Also I have had pain in my shoulder blade of course the left side
Wow, I thought I was the only one in the world with this strange pain before I googled it!
Im 29 years old and have been having this pain right above my left breast and into my armpit. Ive been having it for a few weeks, heart, blood, EKG, everything normal. Its usually burning but can be dull, and it comes and goes. Sometimes its bad, sometimes I dont feel it at all. It is tender to the touch and is more painful when I lift or do long arm movements.
Even when its not painful its tender to the touch. Its hurt me all day today, even when I breathe whcih freaks me out, though my doc has assured me I dont have a blood clot or a heart condition, which I was afraid of. Whereas tomorrow I may not feel it at all.
After looking at yalls posts and reading the symptoms of costchondritis, it all fits perfectly, and Im thankful to all of you for sharing your experiences and for speaking of that costochondritis, youve really saved one person from some of their panic!
Especially looking at the diagram showing exactly where your ribcage meets your chest area, it is exactly where my pain, and most of yalls is. Though thats not to say everyone has this, but we know were not alone!
Though the theory of broken heart syndrome ties in with me just as it does most everyone else here--Ive been being treated for depression for about 3 years now, I take zoloft. Ive also been under a great deal of stress these past few weeks, alot of life changes, and thinking back the pain started when the major stress did. Ive never been diagnosed with anxiety, though its something my doc wants to look into since I tend to panic and work myself up over trivial things. Strangely enough, my period is now 2 weeks late, this is believed to be because of stress.
And if I can ask, is working yourself up over minor stresses considered anxiety?
Im sorry for everyone in here suffering this same pain and hope its not a lifelong thing, and thank you for the advice several of you gave.
Leah, I am a left side sleeper too, and get cramps in my legs before I have to switch positions...the doc said this was muscle tension from the postion and compltely unrelated.
Uzume, I would have your gallbladder checked, as I had some of those symptoms before mine went bad.
PLS I JUST NEED AN ANSWER.WHAT IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS PAIN? IS IT AN INFECTION?
I searched this issue because I woke up with a pretty sharp pain in my left armpit and it hasnt subsided even slightly through the day. I cringe to lift my arm above my head and it hurts to touch.  My mother had her lymph nodes removed when she was around my age (25) but the doctors were "Unclear if it was cancer" and there was no reasoning behind their removal. (this was in the 70s). I called my dad to ask him about it, and his answer was pretty simple. He said that he had simalair pains himself in one armpit, and all he did was switch deoderants. (from an anti-persperant to a spray-on deoderant) and shower every other day instead of everyday. He told me the pain went away! He was getting nodules in his armpit from bodily toxins building up, I do not feel such nodules, but the pain is identical. I am going to try his reccomendation, and if it doesnt work, I will be determined it is a lymph node infection. My pain is very precise to the area, so Im not sure if this will help for those with breast pain, but something so simple is worth a shot!
Oh my goodness! I am having alot of this too. Mine is in my left armpit mostly and then in my shoulder, neck, upper left rib cage and back. All on my left side. Sometimes it feels cold,sometimes it is hot and tingly, sometimes it is just a throbbing pain other times sharp shooting pains. Most of the time my left arm is affected. I have had all the heart test run and when I felt a lump under my left armpit I had a mammogram done. They said it was just lympadema or something like, basically a fatty tumor and nothing to worry about. I feel like I am going crazy. I have hormone problems which I am sure doesn't help.  When I use my left arm the next day the pain is worse and I almost never never get it on my right side.
I have a similar pain in my left shoulder directly above the armpit fold and a long raised dense tissue that runs from above the armpit fold to the lesser tubercle (one of the bumbs on the bones of the head of the humerous: upper arm bone).  The swollen area is about  about 1/3 in wide and 1 1/2 long and it can't be felt unless I press down on the area. The area where the raised tissue can be felt is an ache where as the area directly above the lesser tubercle burns to the touch otherwise it aches sometimes (depending on how I move and how often). When I move my left shoulder to the right side of my body it burns. When I carry any sort of heavy bag the dense tissue actually swells and I get a dime sized dense swelling. It feels very similar to the density of swelling I had when I tore the ligaments in my right hand. When it began to heal it healed "lumpy" and my physical therapist had to massage them out. I am assuming this is a torn ligament/muscle. I am applying to med school and carry a VERY heave backpack. I also row, so I think I may have torn it while rowing and didn't notice until later when the soreness turned to a physically noticable. Although the pain sounds similar to the other individuals in this discussion, we could all have different problems! Muscle knots can be created by stress, pain can be caused my torn muscles or ligaments etc... There are so many muscles and tendons in this area, which makes sense since this is the most mobile and dynamic joint in the body.
There are several nerves that run through this general area: The brachial plexus splits into two major nerves of the area the axillary and the radial. Some of you may have pinched a nerve. One of you has a fatty tumor which may be pinching the axial nerve. Ibuprofin is good for temporary pain, due to muscle/tendon injury. But if you have a pinched nerve physical therapy or acupuncture may be a better route. I personally need to stop carrying so many books around, I'm not a pack mule! Meditation may help those of you with stress, exercise is great for stress...I hope you all feel better and figure out what is the cause of your pain!!!
I also have been experiencing this for about two years now. It freaked me out because I am over weight. I went to the ER thinking I was having a heart attack, they kept me for a total of 3 days. All of my tests were fine, they did say that I may be experiencing anxiety. I do stress ALOT. Yesterday, I noticed the pain again.. More sharp than normal. I noticed that i end up sleeping in a fetal position with my body very tense. My husband actually massaged the area above my left brest, it hurt a bit because it was so tense, but felt better, also I tried a different sleeping position. Today, I still feel the pain so I began freaking out again and noticed this site. Thanks to everyone that has posted for helping me not lose my cool. I hope that I too can help someone who is afraid.
I had this same pain for many years.  As I got older I just became use to the constant pain. I blamed my husband, the bed, my job, my stress.  At the fair one year a chiropractor had a booth set up.  I lay down and he pin pointed every pain without me telling him anything about my history.  He did xrays to find everything I have was out of whack.  Once he started putting everything back where it belongs I stopped having this pain. I have 2 pinched nerves at the base of my neck (C5 & C6).   I am now free of the pain except on occasion... when things get out of whack again. At the chiropractors office I read one of the chicken soup for the soul books that was nothing but testimonials from chiropractic patients.  I had always been lead to believe that chiropractors are quacks.  Believe me that is not true.  If the doctor can't find anything wrong... then go to a good chiropractor (one that will do xrays).  If you hurt worse after going to the Chiropractor then find a different Chiropractor.  Even Children should go... Chiropractors can help relieve the symptoms of Autism.  It's amazing!. I am walking proof.  I Hope this helps you.

Wow I am glad I found this place. I am a 27 year old female and have had pain for 2 months. It is in my left breast, goes in my armpit, down my arm, behind my neck and back and shoulders. It started at mainly breast pain but now it seems to have spread. The pain is sometimes burning, jabbing, aching, all different kinds. I have had 2 breast exams done by 2 different doctors and a mammogram and they have found nothing. My OB said that a mammogram doesnt work well for my age so now I am concerned that maybe they missed something being that I still have the pain. I have major anxiety and have pretty much convinced myself that I have cancer. I did have an issue like this when I was a teenager, had a lot going on back then and had leg and hip pain and had convinced myself then that it was cancer. After all kinds of xrays they found nothing and that is when they figured out it was anxiety related. So I am hoping that it is nothing major, maybe it is a muscle? I am just so worried, I am going to a breast specialist in 2 days and am freaking out. It does seem odd how we all have anxiety issues....
Amazing.....I am an OLD woman (59!) who just came home from the hospital. I had been diagnosed with high blood pressure and on a visit to a "clinic" to get medication. I mention the SAME pain above my left breast. He "freaked out", insisted on an ambulance, insisted this was a heart attack brought on by my "newly found" high blood pressure.

Nine hours in the emergency room, needles, nitro, ekg's, admitted to a room, etc......My chest xray (which I thought would show a clogged artery or damage from heart attack was "clear".....My EKG's were not bad, no big heart attack......I CANNOT AFFORD ALL OF THIS.

Of course the more upset I got, the worse the painwas in that locaton. Like some of you, for a while (a month at most) th pain stayed just to the left above my left breast....Yesterday is did make my arm feel numb and more under the "left hook" of my armpit....

The hospital (a note-worthy one, as I live in a BIG City) never mentioned anything but a heart-attack as the cause to this pain-yet could show me no signs of my having had a heart attack.

Everyone here has made me feel less "crazy", and yes I am all too familiar with stress. Years ago my left ear and that genral area was so painful I was in tears. I went to an "Eye, Ear, Nose, Throat" specialist....I knew I had a severe ear infection....The doctor examined my ear and then handed me a VALIUM.....I thought he was crazy.

I took the ONE valium and in less than an hour the pain was 100% gone. He said that due to stress hundreds of little nerves that ran down the side of my face had tightened and tangled.....I was stunned.

It never crossed my mind that anything such as that could happen elsewhere-especially when everyne is yelling "heart attack".....

I feel HOPE and will persue the "stress" approach and feel a little better that I am not at deaths door!

I am 36 and so glad I am not alone. Wish one of us would get answers though, I hate not knowing and worrying about cancer. I have this same problem and I have talked to everyone and NO one has this. About 1 year ago when I finally had enough, I went to my family Dr. He put me on an antibiotic to see if maybe it was an infection in my lymph nodes. That did not help. When I went to the dentist he thought maybe it was an infected wisdom tooth, had it removed did not help. Dec 07 went to ER was there 9 hours ( still paying the bills) they did every test they could and came up with nothing. My family Dr. then sent me to have a mamogram (mammogram) and it came back normal. This is driving me nuts. I do have allot of stress and anxiety, probably more worrying that this could be cancer.
It starts with left armpit pain (dull or burning ache) it kinda feels like I have a tank top to tight under there or something. It goes to my left breast and sometime it goes down my left arm. I also feel like my bra is to tight under my left breast near my ribs. The crazy thing is when I feel that, most of the time I dont even have a bra on. I have felt it on my right side before, but not very often. The only thing I have noticed is that it flares up about a week or two before my period. I said something to the gyno and she just said it was a coincidence. I can always tell when its that time of month, cause it bothers me all day, everyday...The bad thing is it doesnt just go away when its over. Maybe its because when it starts I worry about it none stop and it seems to get worse of course. Just tired of worrying and if its nothing I want to get on with my life. I worry because they always say early detection is the key and I am just afraid they are missing something and when they find it, it will be to late. Seeing all of you on here gives me a little more hope that maybe I need to just stop worrying or maybe its muscle or nerve related.  Praying all of us get answers and can put this behind us
I think i have the same pain but im scared to go to the doctor since ive never been comfortable letting them help me...and i am a little more nervous reading that a lot of doctors havent known what to do. but i was googling every symptom  and i really wanted it to be costochondritis, because i dont want to have this forever...My pain is on my upper left breast and left of it, i also feel it on my right side sometimes but not as often, and i feel it in between my ribs and breastbone... i think that ill keep trying the treatments for costochondritis and try relaxing more.

I think the cause for me getting costochondritis, (if that is it)....was being out of school i hadnt had anything to do for a while and i gained some weight but i havent bought new bras and they squeeze around the area between my upper rib and breastbone...maybe that could be the cause of repeated minor trauma..which is a cause for costochondritis
Yes this is  costochondritis.   I was diagnosed with it 25 yrs from a car accident.  No it is not breast cancer as I went to the OBGYN and they said with breast cancer you normally do not have any pain.

Costochondritis causes pain and tenderness in the locations where your ribs attach to your breastbone (costosternal joints). Often the pain is sharp, though it can also feel like a dull, gnawing pain. Pain associated with costochondritis occurs most often on the left side of your breastbone, though it can occur on either side of your chest.   Treatment is rest, heat and take a pain killer.  Sometimes it will clear up in 2 weeks or months.   The last time I had it was this past November and before that about 3 yrs ago.  I had a car accident 25 years ago and that is how mine developed.  

I am a 42 year old female that has been experiencing this pain for 4 years I to have had a stress test, heart cath, cat scan, ultasound, mammogram, and blood work. I used to suffer with anxiety over 13 years ago but this above my left brest started hurting 4 years ago. Now I have so many other symptoms that I think I have cancer every other week. My left side is getting weaker, like my left leg and arm. I now have head aches all the time my shoulder and back and neck hurt also. I can say I suffer with stomach issues I am on Nexium which I don't take all the time. I have gained weight and I have been in nursing school for the last 2 1/2 years. It does seem like all these symptoms have a correlation. I thought I was loosing my mind for a long time because my Dr. keep saying "all your test are normal" So I tell her thats the problem the test are nornal but I'm not. My situation has gotten so bad I'm hurting every day all day. I did notice that 2 weeks before my cycle above my breast hurt worst. Lately my hands and feet feel like they are swollen and on pins and needles, but just like the pain is it really? My problem isn't heart break syndrome because I have a supportive husband, and some goods kids that are so worried about me. My Dr. have given me medicine tha I want take because I'm in school and I read all the time about different things. I think I diagnosis myself every week, which is very stressful. I will keep doing research and making my Dr. do test after test until they can find out waht this is and how they can make it stop, because with modern technology we all should not be hurting this long without an explanation. Keep the faith and I will return hopefully with a cure and an answer.
So glad I found this! I have the same thing. I'm 36. I just went to my doc last week and I have a mammogram and cervical spine x-ray scheduled. Mine started about 2 weeks before my period and my whole left breast felt very sore to the touch and also not to the touch. I often get breast tenderness around my period but never this bad and never over the whole breast area. That last about two weeks. It got a little better but now daily the pain seems to transfer from the top of my breast, to inside the center, to under near the top of my ribs, then into my armpit and arm. I also have lots of pain in my upper shoulders which I know is where I carry my stress.

The thing I found interested is most of you have been diagnosed with anxiety. I have not however I have another symptom that has been coming and going for years that they cannot diagnose...breathing issues. I'll go through stages where I feel like no matter what I can't get a deep breath. If it lasts long enough I'll get dizzy and light headed. I could go for months without it but then it will start up again and maybe last a few days or a few weeks.

I have read that this could be related to anxiety. I have been under exceptional amounts of stress lately at work which I know is causing the shoulder and back pain but I guess it would make sense if the breathing and breast pain are all related.

As long as it isn't cancer!
Anyone been tested for Fybromayalgia? I have this pain also and I have had for quite some time. I was diagnosed with Fybromyalgia back in 1993. Just a suggestion.
I'm 15 years old and just today, I experienced a pain in my left armpit through my left breast. I don't know what to do. I thought I'm going to die. Please help me. I need your guidance.
wow ok iv spent over an hour reading htese comments! i have a constant kind of numb feeling above my left breast and in to my arm pit! left shoulder to and shooting pains down under side of my left arm towards my arm pit.. it is very scary and causes me to panic, iv been told by a phsio i could have a trapped nerve in my shoulder.. but still am to scared to go to the doctors,, sill i no!.. but i did a few yrs ago get diagnosed with anxiety! i think maybe after reading a few of your storys this must be stress related! as i have also irritable bowel which is caused by streess!
Okay, I don't know wether to be relieved or concerned after reading everyones posts! It was like reading my life story... Starting from the beginning, I was diagnosed with GERD about 9 months ago and am currently taking Nexium. For the past 1 1/2 years I have had lymph nodes in my neck that are chronically swollen. After talking to my doctor about it he had an ultrasound done.. which he said everything looks fine, just looked a little inflamed, so he put me on antibiodics. Have been in antibiodics for almost 10 days now, there has been no change in the swollen lymph nodes, but about 1 week ago I began having chest pain above my left breast, pretty much radiating throughout the whole left side of my chest. It is not painful.. more of a dull annoying ache that wont go away. I have been severely stressed out over the past year about my health, and it seems no matter how much I try to calm myself down and not think the worst.. every pain I have I think I can assossiate to CANCER! I don't know if I'm just a hypochondriac or what, but I'm definately not dreaming up this pain, it is real. I don't know wether it could be my breast, heart or lungs.. but I fear the worst and can't get it out of my head! Listening to all of you say the same things I'm feeling makes me feel better to know I'm not the only one out there... but I'm still worried. Think I will make another doctor's appointment and have an X-ray and some blood work done.. if all else maybe that will calm my nerves!
I just want to say to you all that the pain you are feeling is probably just a tight muscle.
I went to the doc nearly 5 years ago when this pain first appeared and he asked me if I was worried about anything or was feeling stressed. The truth was - Yes! I was about to be married and was stressing over every detail about the wedding. He gave me a muscle relaxant and suggested some relaxation techniques........ worked a treat!
Just recently the pain resurfaced but was more intense than ever before so I thought it was wise to get it checked out again. After the usual tests, I was told I was physically O.K. My doc determined that I was suffering from stress and panic attacks born out of my anxiety over trying to get pregnant again after a late miscarriage. He said that when you stress, your muscles in the upper body tighten when your breathing becomes irregular (even if you are unaware of this breathing).
It was suggested to me that I should try meditation. I know it sounds really corny and even I rolled my eyes at the thought but it has worked. At first, I had to use Nurofen cream to help ease the pain until the muscle relaxed but now I just make sure I have time to myself now and again.
So, why don't you try that before spinning off into a sweat and worrying that something is radically wrong.
Hope you all feel better soon! xx
I just went to my ortho doctor today for this same pain. Left shoulder underarm down side of arm around side of breast. I had the same exact thing last year that lasted for months. It came back all of a sudden so now same thing over again. Last year I had a heart test/mammogram they had me come back for an ultrasound. It was a lymph node they saw and not a knot. Told the orto doctor and he had me go to a surgeon. I saw him twice and he did breast exams and got my mammo films. He said that somethime a lymph node can show up in a mammogram. The orto doctor diagnosed me with bursitis. I got a cortisone shot and some prednisone and it did get better and was gone for about 9 months till now...Same thing. went back today and he said that shoulder pain ususally doesnt radiate to under arm and side of breast but that everyone is different. So shot and prednisone again. He said that sleeping on your side for hours you know where your shoulder is up under you while you are sleeping can cause inflammation. So he said he does think its coming from shoulder. Thats what the surgeon thinks to. So everyone do you have a sore shoulder press on it up at the top down some and see if the bursa is sore. My chest gets sore to. Costochondritiis had it for months. I guess if feel better since it did go away for so long. Will let you know if i find out anything else.
a lump inthe left breast, swelling and pain in underarm sites.lump is present since 4 years.a similar lump was also present in  the right breast it took 2 or 3 years to dissapper.will the present lum will be dissappeared with the passege of time or it can cause  a cancer.it was present just below the nipple first now it has displaced to the lower region.is the pain in lymph node is abnormal.what should she do?ans me in detail
What is the answer. I am about to go through the same testing for my heart and GI doctor, but if it has not help everyone then I am about to pay for something that will not help.
I  have pain in my left breast and left shoulder as well. My left breast is a little bigger than my right one and under my left arm I have fatty tissues or something. I went to the gyno years about 6 years ago and he told me to sleep in a sports bra. That helped and went away for a long time. I developed a lump under my right armpit and I was told twice by my gyno doctor that it had something to do with me breastfeeding...the tenderness came when it was time for my menstrual cycle.
I have since then had a hysterectomy for fibroid tumors and endometriosis but I noticed the pain in my left breast and shoulder when I was going through this. I thought it was because of the way I was sleeping, but the breast pain still was unexplained. Sometimes I feel pain in the right breast but not that much. I was having panic attacks when I was in college. That was 20 years ago. The cardiologist said I would need medication when I got about 30 years old, but I'm 41 years old now. I'm wondering if I should check that out. I never thought it could be my heart until reading this blog.
I am going to have a mammo, but It was helpful to hear someone else has been going through nearly the same thing.
I am also experiencing this pain in my left breast.  I also get it in the right breast, but not as often.  I'm 26 and very active, I thought that maybe I was exercising too much and took a break, but that didn't help.  My left breast is also larger than my right, and I thought that may be the reason that the left side was hurting worse.  It really hurts when I push on the painful area or try to rub it.  I had a panic attack last week and took medication for it, but I am not on a daily anxiety medicine, although I feel as I get older, my anxiety gets worse.  I've been looking on webmd and other places and don't seem to be finding any answers.  I, too feel as though I'm having a heart attack or have heart problems, although I'm scared to go to the doctor to have all the tests done.  I'm also on the depo-provera birth control and have been for 8 years now, is anyone else on this method or noticed any changes after being on it for so long?
Hello All.  

Have any of you by chance asked to have your ANA checked?  I have been dealing with chronic pain left breast, inside left arm, and left upper back for 3 years.  Like so many of you, I have had every test possible in the past 3 years.  CT scans (3), MRI (4), breast ultrasounds (4), mammograms,  etc.....         Only positive test results have been rising ANA titer.  We (doctors and I) are almost certain that I am dealing with an autoimmune attack on my connective tissues.    You can research connective tissue disease and/or undifferentiated connective tissue disease and read more about it.  We are trying to learn what causes these flares so we can calm things down.   My PCM (SMART DOCTOR!) is confident that we are getting through this, and I am certain that it is getting better.

I know exactly how you are all feeling.  This is a scary thing.  Make sure you have a great internist and possibly a naturopath.  They have REALLY  helped me!

Best wishes for many pain free days!
RigelB
Hi there I'm 24 and also was experiencing severe anxiety attacks for about a month straight, and the sametime i noticed an aching pulling feeling abovemy left breast,almost in my armpit, as many of you have mention anxiety i am starting to think their really must be a link. The anxiety attacks have pretty much eased off completely but i am still experience the aching feeling. Its not extremely sore, more like kinda irritating! I wonder if we can figure out what this is! Just wondering if anyone also suffered shortness of breath as a symptom??
hi i too have similar problems in right breast. and have had all lumps checked nothing found. but also very dull aches and sometimes bad pains. also got this under and around arm shoulder now has spread to abdomin (abdomen) right stomache right side of had .around right liver and through to the back. ive been checked for goalstones too. nothing found.i changed drs and she said its not all conected and the liver pains ect are probably just a stitch! pardon me for being a little peed but i just cant get my head around that one! i even have weak right knee and varicous vain hurting on right ankle and a lump by my right ear that shoots pains but i dare not put that to them as well as they may boot me out of sergery (surgery)!! actually i did ask if it could be tumour . one dr just smiled and said no no it isnt.dont woory. i think they just cant be bothered any more or are just not trained properly anymore. now i have extra skin over top of belly button which wasnt there yesterday probably umbilical hernia and my right eye has lost its perfect vision and is twitching constantly.
the next dr who dismisses all this will get a right hand punch in the right side of the nose!
I am 26 male. I have had these pains exactly as described for at least 4 months.  I noticed  it start to happen after a coffee or soda in the morning.  Which led me to believe it was only caffeine causing it.  However, after coming off of caffeine completely for 2 weeks I noticed it acting up again the second week, not as intense though.  It started right after I learned that I had a high cholesterol.  So this caused me to stress out some.  I am defiantly thinking that this stress is related.   I lost 10 lbs after a weeks of a no high fat/ NO SAT FAT and no cholesterol diet.  I am down to 249 from 259 at 6' 3", definatley overweight for me.  I am trying to get back down to 190lb which is what I was before college, dam beer and late night eating!!  Just letting you all know I am male having this issue as well.  Maybe try better diet.  I will post with results when they come.
I am glad I found this. For the last 3 months I have had pain under my arm that extends through my right breast. Its a sharp pain in the breast and I didn't have the pain until I pulled my push lawnmower's pull cord. I to have a lot of stress and anxiety and wondered if that was the cause.  I have pain in the breast when I reach down for something and the underarm hurts when pressed. I also sit at my PC a lot and wonder if that may be a cause to this problem.
I would make a suggestion to everyone - especially those with left sided pain - to check into lymphatic congestion.  Primary lymphatic duct is on left side.  When there is blocked, congested, or stagnant lymph flow, it can cause pain in left back shoulder area, left arm, elbow, and left breast!  Check it out!
I have similiar pain under the arm. It aches constantly. I also have shoulder pain. After an MRI it was dicovered I have a full thickness tear of the anterior supraspinatus tendon at it's insertion. Mild infraspinatus and subscapularis tendinosis as well as acromioclavicular hypertrophy with mild subcromial spurring. In other words torn rotator cuff. I suspected I had injured my rotater cuff but held off going to the Dr. expecting it would heal. After 6 months and constant under arm pain I went to the dr. The tearing at the infraspinatus and subscapularis is what causes the under arm pain. It aches and I can not sleep. I hope this might some how help someone.
Wow! I have been having the same things happening to me and decide to look up breast pains, to see if i could figure it out ( i was starting to think my mind was just playing tricks on me). I made an appt to see my pcp today about these issues i'm having ( i hope that he can shed some light to this mystery) If he says something different than what's been posted i will write back and share with you guys.
  I'm 24, m. HORRIBLE diet. Stress FREAK (punch holes in walls, the whole 9). I literally thought i was DIEING because of these same symtoms (symptoms) and I have been reading online until exhaustion.. My pain is above my left breast, pushes straight through to my upper left back and someitmes my arm/neck (left side) tenses and feels incredibly tired. I went and had an EKG and was told it was anxiety. I recently lost my job, i own a rental which has dropped in value with the markets and tenants just left so i had a great deal of stress going on at the time. And for encouragement i was a blivering (cant spell, or maybe i can? i wouldnt know haha) phsyco like you all when i came to this forum and by the time i got to the bottom i have some good troubleshooting/things we can try that do work for me on occassion.
  so check this out, u know when we go on a anxiety roller coaster and we make google smoke until we find that one thing that says breathing problems or chest pains could be a heartattack, get medical attention immediately!! and we lose it?? Stop, the doctor has told us we're fine already, your egging your anxiety on i think..
  Ive notice that i worry so much about shortmess of breath that i will take deeper breathes until im lightheaded and then think, OMG its getting worse!! haha
  We all need to relax and poke fun at our selves for being crazy.. I've also noticed that when i would have a flu when i was younger and would have bad respratory build-up/infection all the coughing/gagging would cause a similar upper chest/arm pain, so maybe everytime we go nuts breathing thinking theres not enough air maybe we are doing the same thing by irratating/expanding the lung.
  Also, another theory. I was ALSO very active child (2nd star in state travel hockey) and used to have quite a bit of muscle , now im average and almost constantly on bed rest for my back. I think maybe if you go from exercising a lot to not so much it would make tendons/muscles begin to shrink which seems like it would leave a lot of tension/aching in its wake. i am also on vicoprofen which cause of the profen can and idealy WILL cause GERD/heartburn EXSPECIALLY if u have high anxiety. (btw, this should all be introduced by, I THINK, i am not a doctor at all).
  Also, heart trouble usually feels very tite from what ive read , similar to having a belt tightened around your chest below breasts. Which my pain and it looks like we have the same, is more acute/sharp pain that seems to spread tension to my neck, upper back left side, and left arm. sometimes even on my right side.

One last thing, I even sometimes lay in bed at night, get a good healthy wave of exhaustion and comfort and almost fall asleep and my eyes bouce open and my brain thinks i almost died. I to sit here a lot and wonder what the hell is wrong cause i know i feel something and then i manifest it and turn it into something. Try something for me too, find one thing that GRABS/DEMANDS your attention in a positive light. Maybe your favorite (inspirational) movie, and it seems to help having a sense that everythings ok and/or can or will be. Plus, it will hopefully make your lungs take over for your breathing while your are laughing or to busy enjoying the movie to care..
  All in all they had some crazy wires on me and dude looked smart and said my heart was fine.   ALSO, this is cool to, have u ever noticed that you can go a week or used to go a week without thinking about breathing?! i dont know about u guys  but i cant go longer than 10 minutes anymore and that may be the problem to, intentionally laboring your lung when your body is the one that should be telling ur lungs how much oxygen they need to take in.

These are all theories of mine, and I'm only here putting in what my own paranoia/anxiety has led me to/left me with.  Love you guys, be strong, be safe and remember this line..  im making this up but makes sense to me.. "we are the type to live everyday of LIFE wondering if/when we are going to die, but know this, the day you find out you have something or know you might die soon, THAT will be the die you start living life." Lets all take ONE deep breath (dont knock urself out like i did) and enjoy what we got and pretend this is the same kinda pain we get in our ankles after a long day except its in a touchy spot.

hope this help!
I don't know if this helps but thought I would post it any way. A few years ago I went to a chiropractor (after a car accident). I had pain in my shoulder blade that radiated to the front which was totally separate from my injuries. He said that our bodies create pockets or toxins that are extremely painful. These are toxins from the foods we eat, things we drink and even medicines we take. Heat and muscle rubs help but it is extremely important to drink lots of water daily to flush out these toxins so our bodies won't store them. I am notoriously a soda drinker and rarely drink water. Now when I notice my muscles hurting and feeling stiff I start drinking water and lay off the carbohydrated drinks and sugars. Eating raw vegetables and fruits and limiting junk food helps too but that's very hard for me to do. By the way I had stress tests and things as well. One doctor even told me it was anxiety or panic attacks (the pain in my chest) and although I have my share of stress but don't feel it is related from my experience.
I forgot to add that I had several mammograms before I found out about the toxin thing as well that all were negative. Also, Avon sells these pads you put on the bottom of your feet at night that has tea tree oil in it. In the morning you take them off. It is supposed to suck out the toxins in your body. When you take it off in the morning it will be black. You do it for a few days until it comes out clean. I tried them and they really do work. Good luck to you all and get well soon!
As I read these comments, I can not help but notice that for most of the case all of us have been diagnosed with Anxiety but are still having the same problems.  I myself am 27 years old and find my left breast very sore near the armpit.  I also have the left arm fall asleep frequently and feel like someone is jabbing a screwdriver into my heart in the same location.   I have been to the doctors, was treated for anxiety (Which I no longer have) and question if I ever had (The medicine exasperated the problems), but the problems are still there and becoming worse.  I cannot help but wonder if the condition is related to a hormone imbalance or something similar.  II have also been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and told that this may be related to that, but again I believe that it is just a blanket diagnosis because well the doctors don't really know what is happening.  Regardless, it is comforting to know that I am not the only one with this problem and that it is indeed not in our "heads".  I believe that it is a problem which is not text book and that leads to misdiagnosis.  It may be related to GERD (I have that as well, stress, fibromyalgia, ect.  One question I have for all of you:  Do you have weight gain.  I have been gaining weight at a rapid pace eventhough I am still fairly active.  I am also short of breath quite often.
If you have gone to the doctor and done all your tests. If all of them come out normal it could yes like a lot of you said your muscles. Worrying is usually the cause. Stop worring. I have this kind of pain only sometimes. I worry so much and i am so young. I am going to get a ECG test soon to see if something is wrong. Otherwise usually its just the worrying getting to ur head and muscles.
I could be wrong and im sorry if i am.
I am so glad to have found this website.  I too have been having this problem and I am not one to go the doctor.  And when I do go it seems the pain is not there and I forget to ask.  They did find a lump in my left arm pit and told me stop wearing deodorant.  Shortly before the lump I started having these problems.  My doctor thought the lump was caused by clogged pours.  But, with the lump still there and the pain getting worse I am thinking of going back and having it checked.  

There are times when I can’t even lift my arm because my shoulder hurts so bad.  And then there are days that everything is fine.  The pain is in my shoulder, upper chest right behind my breast, and upper bicep of the arm.  The pain hurts so bad at times I can’t sleep.

I just want to say I feel happy knowing that I am not being crazy and I will take this to the doctor.  Thank to all your post.
I am just wondering what everones outcomes were. I too have simliar problems. I can go days and feel great and than bam pain and discomfront is back.

My doctors have no idea either. I have had heart test all normal, mammagram normail, and now I am going for a mri of the back and neck.

But noone has followed up to say how they are doing now. So if you have posted before can you give us a update. thanks a bunch.
I found this site searching for an answer to my husband's symptoms. I don't think this is a condition specific to the female body because my husband has the same issue.  A pain that comes from time to time as a dull pain under his left armpit or in his left shoulder into his left peck (chest area) and sometimes gets real sharp. We thought it was a heart attack too until we went to the ER and found out his heart was healthier than the Dr's. He too suffers from severe anxiety, but he does not take any prescription medication for it. These painful episodes that can last a few days have happened for a couple years now. Upon seeing this site today it is clearly something that is common enough to call for serious medical research.
Okay.  Today I am having another MRI.  This one with contrast to look at soft tissue.  
I will let you know what (if anything) shows up.

I have had so many tests (and MRIs without contrast, and CTs with contrast, etc) that I am not sure this will show anything different,  But, I guess this is the last chance?  There just isn't anything left after this except GOING IN and taking tissue samples....

Will post results later....

DB
im 15 and keep havin pains below my left shoulder blade it goes always round to my left breast and its like a dull ache all the time iv been typing it in on google but im scared becouse all that comes up is like lung canca and heart atacks and breast canca .. and i have panic atacks and axioty .. at one point the doctor put me on beater blokers but i go to the doctors that often that now they dont even take me serious! D: and its all true what i tell them. this pain wont go away i dont no wether its same as what you'v got but can anyone help me! cos i dont no what this. :( x
I had the same symptoms for 5 yrs turns out it was a parasitic infection that developed slowly they go through active and dormant stages. The infection is usually Kidney, Speen, Liver, Lyphatic system and the bodies immune system turns on and kill parasites and thiese can clog the lyphatic systems with clumps of dead parasites.. The parasite while living produce waste that is a toxic causing trigging your brain to have  the feeling of being unwell or even paranoid in the acute stage. There may be intermittent muscle pain, craving of sugar. erratic sugar. Elevated CPK, Elevated CRP, Hyper Thyroid immune system turned on not because of Bad Thyroid but because it is turning on your immune system to constantly keep up with the parasites. Parasites basic food source is glucose and B-12..  you may feel the need for sugar all the time. This also makes it worse because 2 key building block of a good lymphatic system are B-12 and folic acid as the parasite depletes this from your body your lymphatic system can slow or even shut down. Causing shoulder cramps, Vasculitus, edima, Arthritis, secondary MRSA and Fungal infections... or may feel like cysts in the body cavity...  
see a infectious disease doctor and ask to be screened parasitic infection they are hard to diagnose. You can take B-12 6000 mg, B Complex, Garlic, 3 day bowel cleanse , Folic acid, L. acidophilus and B. longum bacteria to replace the bacteria your immune system has killed try to fight the parasite. And one of the many anti parasite protocols out there..  If this makes you feel way better you know you are on the right tract but if you have an acute infection nothing over the counter will help.. You will need a broad spectrum anti parasitic.
If it is not a mild case the IE doctor will have to try to find and type the parasite to know how to kill it... Ranchers to this day will still go the the farm supply store and purchase the anti-parasitic drug over the counter and measure out the same weight dose as a calf's or sheep calculating body weight to get the desired dosage. It they are not sure which type they will run a protocol and then wait a few weeks to see if the are any better.. If not run a different protocol for a different class of parasite till they hit the jack pot.  This cost is about $50.00 US.. The cost to have an infectious disease doctor find and treat somewhere from $100.00 or in my case $347,000 dollars..
Try Yoga... Deep breathing and slow stretching. If you are not into the chanting, say prayers like "My Father who are in Heaven...", or find an affirmation that you feel fits your needs.

My anxiety and muscle related issues stem from trying to be in control of what I can not be in control of. Usually because of my "isms" that are a bit out there to begin with.

I've also started massaging my feet prior to going to bed at night with lotion that has peppermint or vanilla. I'd use lavender but am allergic to it... so you may try that too. Getting into a bedtime routine seems to help me as well, although I'm not always consistent with it.

The other thing that has helped me out tremendously with muscle spasms and the what I call the "fathom" pains, is a liquid magnesium supplement before I go to bed. It helps calm the muscles and helps with the nerve pain from my neck surgery. I was on meds for 9 years and stopped in March of this year. I've still got pain, but at least I'm not over doing it as much anymore. When I was on the meds, I never realized how much was too much when it came to doing things. Now I take things in parts, and divide up the work load so I don't over tax my muscles.

You may find that the deep breathing also calms you down internally. Focus on your stomach right under your chest. Put your hands on your stomach and make it get bigger as you breath in from your diaphragm. Like when you are running, breath in from your nose and out through your mouth. Count up to 8 slowly, then count to 8 as you breath out. It will be harder to breath all the way out, but you will find your center and balance the ins with the outs after a short while. Make sure to focus on all of the muscles in your lower area when breathing out. Pull them in tight as you push your air out slowly. This will also help tighten your core muscles and I've lost 2 inches since March doing this to a count of 60 each night before fading off to sleep. The first breaths are so I an lay flat on the bed and so I start with my knees up then when I get to 20 or so I slowly put my legs flat.

I'm a side sleeper and always have been. Since my neck surgery I was only able to sleep on my back and these types of pains went away. Could have been other pains were stronger at the time... I also got one of those memory foam pillows, not the cheap ones, but the $100 ones right after surgery. It keeps it's shape through out the night and supports that gap between my shoulders and my head. Since my neck doesn't bend there very well after being fused together in two spots, this really comes in handy. I rarely have neck stiffness and when I do, I've found myself on my husband's pillow after he's gotten up in the morning, and it's a really full down filled one.

Let me know how the breathing works for you guys. Don't worry about the chanting or the prayers at first. Focus on all the muscles it takes to be able to breath correctly first. The rest will come as you get better at it. There's a reason why Yogi masters all have great bodies... They know their muscles and work them slowly with control. It's the one thing in my life that I now know that I have ultimate control over.

Best of luck to you all... Would offer 2 cents, but the cost of inflation has wiz'd it down to 1cent.
Yet again I also have the same story..I'm 36 mother of 2 & I have tingling pain under armpit that goes a little on my breast..It started on left & now sometimes when the left gets going the right does too...That is the only thing that made me think its not cancer because if it was I wouldn't have exact pain in the exact place at the exact time..I also KNOW its not from an injury..It comes & goes but sometime its likes to hang out in my armpit and give me fits of worry. It almost feels like someone has their knuckle and is pressing gently but firmly into my armpit..I have had back surgery but I know what nerve pain is like & this just doesn't seem the same..If I had to guess..I think it has something to do with water intake (because I drink very little & live in hot Las Vegas OR its inflammation of the lymph nodes or mammary glands..I am healthy other than my back injury & don't have acid prob too much like some stories I read (only occasionally) I also don't think its gall bladder related because I don't have 1..So there you go..hope that helps someone & thx for your stories they have helped me too!
Hi everyone.  I'm 37 and recently have started experiencing symtoms (symptoms) that are freaking me out!  Where to start?!  Ok the pain started in my left breast toward the center of my chest and would only happen occassionally.  Now for about a week it's there off and on everyday, but more toward the top of the breast and extends into the armpit and a few times toward the end of my breast (nipple area).  It has moved into the right breast only a few times, but nothing like I feel on the left side.  I also feel a tightening in the center of my chest (between my breasts) only once and a while.  All these "pains" feel like they are at the surface-nothing deep.  My left hand on occassion also feel "weird" like it gets when I know my blood pressure is up.  I have not been to my doctor-no insurance, but feel maybe I should just go to help ease my mind.  I find that at times I can feel/sense my pulse and the blood moving through my body just while I'm sitting or if I think about it too much.  I worry all the time about everything-have never been diagnosed w/ stress or anxiety.  It's a runnning joke w/ family about my "worrying" as I've always been this way.  I feel as if I'm somewhat in control of these new feelings I'm experiencing-yet would feel so much better to know that I'm not having heart troubles or something.  Oddly enough reading all your posts made me feel a little better and then I started to worry even more.  I guess I best see the doc, but I feel I'll be told it's stress(I hope that's all anyway) and have a new pile of bills to worry about.  Thanks for sharing all your experiences.  Take care.
hello everyone im 30 years old and also have breast pain that seems to be deep inside from the left side of the breast to the top part of the breast but my beatheing is fine, it feels like a pinching pain and i keep patting my chest coz it annoys me  lol.. its a dull pinching restricted pain if that makes any sense and ive had enough of it my history is ive also been treated for stress and anxiety and im on citarlapram 10mg my doctor has given me some pills to treat this pain because i burnt my stomach linning in may 2009 and gave myself acute gastrirtis due to my own hen night and exsessive drinking which to be fair it was my hen night and im not really a drinker,, hey we live we learn. well since then ive been getting the chest pains more often and he thinks its due to the tummy troubles look up GERD its intresting.. it might just be from the stress, he said it wont be the heart and my breast examanation was fine no signs of cancer or lumps .. it could be hormoanes rising and lowering. could be many things but in general cancer of the breast doesnt hurt and if it your heart you would have worse problems with it ..... if in doubt always see a gp hope this helps......
I was thinking the same thing - GAS PAINS. I have had those and man they hurt! I take alka seltzer and it helps. Also moving around especially moving the chest area and back area around helps release the gas. It could be that. Also maybe avoid spicy foods and beans?
I am 29 and I too have the same problems. I have a constant pain that seems to radiate through my left arm pit and my left breast. Occassionally it is on my right side but not usually. At times I have pains between my breasts as well. I went to the doctor back in July and he told me I had pulled a muscle and put me on muscle relaxers. These just made me sleepy but I still had the pain. I went to another doctor and pointed to where the pain is and he diagnosed me with costochondoritis. He said that the ligaments between my ribs were inflammed. That actually made sense because my pain goes from my shoulders all the way to my stomach right below my left breast. I had my gallbladder, liver, spleen, appendix, etc. tested previously to rule out gallstones because I've heard they can mimic these symptoms when it is also your stomach. The current doctor told me to take naproxen (1000mg daily) and to take a minimum of 10,000mg vitamin D every day. He said that most of us do not get enough Vitamin D and that it is great for arthritis disorders (which costochondoritis is in the family of). I have been taking his recommendation for 2 weeks now and honestly do not feel much better. I am going back in December to have blood tests done to see if there are any abnormalities and to check all of my levels. He did warn me that costochondoritis has to run its course and can last up to 6 months if not longer. They also put me on Nexium saying that I probably have heartburn as well, which I do.

I have noticed that the only time I do not hurt is when I am in a hot shower. It relaxes the muscles and the pain is gone, but as soon as I'm out it hurts again. One other thing, my bed is 8 years old and needless to say, the mattress has seen better days. My husband and I ordered a new memory foam pillow top of the line mattress yesterday because I can physically feel the pressure points on my breast or back area (depending on which way I'm laying) when I lay down. I don't know if it will help or not but I believe it will. We rotated the old mattress a few weeks ago to see if that would help, and now he is complaining of back and shoulder pain. It may not be the case, but I think you all should take a look at how you are sleeping. I'll let you know if it helps!
OMG I am 29 years old and SO happy I found this forum!!! I though I was probably dying or about to have a heart attack or something. The pain is getting worse, but of course right now I'm on my period. It seems to intensify during my monthly cycle. The pain is above my left breast, under my left armpit and in my left shoulder blade. Sometimes the pain radiates down my left arm a bit and even occurs on my left side under my ribcage. I thought I was the only one! I too am a high-stress individual. I got married 6 months ago and we are now looking for a new home. The stress is unbearable and perhaps this is also adding to the problem. Thank you to all of you ladies who have calmed me down a bit with your similar stories!! I hope everyone's pain subsides as I know it is a scary thing to live with!!
Has anyone tried acupuncture? It seems like that might be something to try.
I'm also glad I found this forum.  I don't always get this but it happens to me every few months and I have gone to the doc, had an EKG and bloodwork done and it's not my heart.  I have been diagnosed with anxiety and I also have chronic heartburn.  I get the pain and then I know my mind makes me start believing that something is terribly wrong with me.  It just drives me crazy and I hate the feeling.  I get the pain right above the left breast and then it starts to radiate under my arm and to the center of my chest at times and then I start breathing deeply which makes the attacks start. I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia a few years ago too.  I have a lot of GI problems too on top of the heartburn.  I am overweight and I know that I need to lose weight.  I think if I could do that it would help me tremendously.  I'm actually going back to weight watchers again and hope I can stick to it this time.  Another thing I deal with is bad neck pain and then I get headaches and sometimes dizziness.  I've been to an ENT and my sinuses are fine. I have a deviated septum but that shouldn't cause my other issues.  I'm going to a neurologist next month to see if I have migraines too.  I am just getting very upset by everything.  I take xanax for the anxiety but I'm also trying to get pregnant so I don't want to be taking the xanax.  Glad to have found a group of people who are having some of the same similar issues.  I always think everything is cancer and I get myself so worked up!
For those of you looking for a diagnosis on this site, it would be absolutely irresponsible of us to attempt that. We are not doctors. Everyone is different and so are their problems. Please see your doctor. Do we really think the internet is the place to find answers to our serious medical problems (and upper body pain can be very serious)? This is a dangerous trend and relying solely on the experience and advice of strangers has to be stopped. You may get temporary relief because someone here says it's nothing, but he or she cannot possibly know that; PLEASE SEE YOUR DOCTOR.
Thanks alot u all just saved me a embarassing trip to er, im having the same symptoms i thought it was a heart attack im 23 and have been getting these pains for about 3 weeks,i just woke up with it again. I also have anxiety and im a hypochondriac which adds to the stress, if it helps any of u, when i push underneath my left armpit there seems to be a muscle thats sore. So it could be muscle related. And the pains only started since i started excercising more,and when i smoke or drink alcohol, maybe a hernia? I dont know. Good luck to u all
i was diagnosed of costochondritis wayback april 2006. the pain comes and goes...it really so scary bec. it mimics heart attack. i hv all the test, ultrasound, blood chem, even got 3x a yr for a heart test. i hv this bloating thing in my abdomen. the feeling of cant breathe made me to scamper for safety in er which everytime i do, they just gv me anti anxiety meds.
the reason why i am again reading this forum is, the pain in my left breast is now going to my left shoulder, then in my back. btw, i hv this constipation thing. i am 47 yrs old and doc sez im in my pms thing. oh well, this costochondritis, goes side by side with the anxiety..anxiety its because im kinda panicking bec. of the pain. oh well, its good to hear that i am not alone...all this is stress related..thats what my doc sez...he even suggested, i to forget the pain and focus to happy things like that of malling, a little bingo thing, some strolling at the park, lol and laughters..but my goodness, i cant do this, if the pain starts...he said costochondritis will go on its own...and he also said, i do wait until i finished this pms thing...ohhh..i think some more yrs as i am only 47...waaaah...help
the pain is relieved after i take the anti anxiety meds..omg...i take my meds only when needed...and the pain is relieved too by taking motillium and omeprazole...now its the gas
Hi all!
I thought I was going out of my mind and it's a comfort to know that I'm not alone.
I also have this same pain, but on my right. The pain comes and goes and it's sharp. My right side muscles -- arm, and around the shoulder blades are quite tense. There was a point when I thought it was a tumour, but I found no lumps anywhere in my upper body, but knots.

I can tell you this much, I've never had this before even if I have fibromyalgia and a thyroid problem (Hashimoto's).

I've undergone a lot of emotional mishaps and anxieties this year, so this could just be another case of muscle tension. I did get relief after I had shiatsu and acupuncture treatment. The problem came back when I was faced with yet another unpleasant situation that caused emotional aggravation and tension.

I do get some sort of relief when I massage and put pressure on a muscle in my armpit . Hot compress on the painful area also gives relief.
Hello.  With all due respect, I do not think any of us here are looking to the internet for our medical treatment.  What I do believe is happening is that people who are scared and hurting are finding comfort in sharing with others in the same situation.  Many of us on this particular thread have been dealing with chronic pain for many years and undergone every test possible to rule out many serious medical issues.  While many of us can find comfort in knowing that there are no cancers, tumors, or other deadly problems, there is no replacement for knowing that WE ARE NOT ALONE.  I believe we ALL are under the care of a physician.  I know that I see my PCM every 4 weeks for continued evaluation.  I am not looking for a diagnosis on this thread.  I have tried to re-read the posts on this thread to find out why you felt that someone was self-diagnosing, and I have been unable to see that.  Can you show me where I missed something?

Thanks.
RBee
I am so thankful for this discussion. I am 28 and have had these symptoms for 5 years now. I went to the hospital for it about 4 years ago when I felt like I couldn't breath and the pain got too bad. I had an EKG, Chest x-ray, and some blood test. I have tested positive for TB in the past, so they thought it might be that, but the chest x-ray was clear. They told me I have asthma and gave me an inhaler. While that did help a little, I do not think that is the problem. I also have anxiety and stress issues, especially in certain situations, when the pain does get worse. I have been so worried that it is my heart, but reading all of your stories makes me feel better about that. I do believe that it is anxiety related, and my fear about it probably makes it worse. Thanks for sharing your experiences here!
    I have also had this pain above left breast, hurts sometimes worse than others, sometimes burning, sometimes achy, I also have asthma, atrial fib, beginnings of copd...had to cancel a total knee replacement, from pulmonary  hypertension.... I had gotten use to feeling good, so sort of quit using my inhaler, since going back on it, heart doesnt seem to beat as hard, hoarse voice is clearer, doesnt feel like i have a constant lugey.... Anyways....
   After reading here, I remembered, a fall I had some months back, maybe 6 months... MRI showed torn rotator cuff, on ..you guessed it.. my left side, I was waiting on surgery for it, to have both my knees replaced... so now i'm thinking, maybe that is why it is hurting.. the torn rotator cuff, anyone else have any serious or awkward falls?
     I dont remember mine hurting til a month or so after that, because I always thought, well both knees are shot but at least my arms are ok, then I fell and there went pain to that shoulder...just a thought.
I have been searching for this!!! I am 33 year old female. My pain started just above thr right breast area two years ago. At first it was a very dull feeling and has slowly progressed into a very nasty  gnawing pain that feels like it shoots into my back. It has also started on the left side now?? I was in a car accident three years ago and have a hernated disc in c6. I have also been treated for anxiety in the past. After looking at this forum I think it may be costochondritis and Im betting stress makes it worse/inflammed. I have had chest xrays,emgs, mri's and nothing has showed. My doctor is now sending me to a rhemitologist. I am going to ask the doctor  about costochondritis !!!
In my earlie twenties had very bad pain in my chest area and arm pits. Everything came out negative as well and was offered, to remove breasts if they continued to hurt. My gastro specialist dealing with my IBS offered an alternative to try. Cut out all caffeine. It worked! The pain went away. I'm 40 now, and when I go back to caffeine, always notice the pain returning along with other symptoms.
24 years old, also suffering with breast, armpit, shoulder pain. Also I get stinging pain in chest, round stomach too. i constantly feel like I am holding my breath. I feelfullness under my ribs and i have what doc called a nervous stomach but I feel lumps in my abdomen somewhere. I've feared i have everything from heart attack to cancer of various sorts. I have been to hospital several times with panic attacks. I had abdominal ultrasound, bloodwork, and xray, all fine. It all began 18months ago through stressful times. then i realised i was pregnant and all the symptoms went away as i concentrated on having a good pregnancy. 12 weeks postpartum, its all returned. Docs say anxiety, but they don't really examine me, just fob me off. no solutions. no meds work. i get more panicky at night. i am still going through a great deal of heartbreak, so maybe i have 'broken heart syndrome' too. Any instantaneous cure? Docs gave me a low dose anti-depressant, but i'm afraid to take them in case of dependancy
When I was pregnant with my child, suddenly I could drink caffeine. Never had the pain return in my chest, until after giving birth. Could it be that women are becoming sensitive to things that dehydrate them? I mean, caffeine and alchohol, are dehydrators. When your body starts to get dehydreated , the muscles in your spine, chest, and neck area will start to ache and hurt, becoming painful the worse you get. I ended up in the hospital once, so bad off, they hooked me up to a drip line, I was also given something in the line that keeps your liquid down.  
That's so interesting, I don't take caffeine or alcohol, BUT I'm  not a huge drinker. I sometimes go right through til mid afernoon before I realise I've not had a sip of water all day. And I walk loads. So I may try drinking more. I feel better when I lean forward or sit in the bath too, perhaps its a kind of anxiety/dehydration IBS. Im gonna try drinking more, thanks. I hate this cos though part of you thinks your being anxious or having a panic attack, the pain is there and its so real and I can never quite believe anyone who sayds its just all in your head :(
I can relate. I have fibromyalgia and as you know, this cannot be verified in lab tests by doctors. It's a very painful condition since the muscle pains are constant so you just live with them. You may look healthy, but the pain is there all over your body, so people think that it's all in your head. I hate that the most since it feels like you're making everything up! I find it extremely insulting when I hear that comment.

But anyway, I know for a fact that I get relief by hydrating myself with healthy drinks. The best drink to nourish your body is vegetable juice. Drink two glasses of carrot juice daily and you'll feel a difference. Try other juices too. Vegetables naturally contain filtered water and any chemical stay in the pulp, so it's important to juice them. (Dr. Norman Walker, "Fresh Vegetables and Fruit Juices") I also notice that if I don't hydrate myself, the pain is a lot worse.

Also do mild exercises -- 20 minutes of walking daily is a good start. You need to increase your circulation. Hot compresses and applying lavender  where it hurts will help to ease tension.

I hope this helps.
Hi, I am 42. I have the upper left chest pain with sharp pain in my nech and left arm. I have been tested forany thing that you can imagine.all results came back normal.( EKG, Stress test, Chest Xrays, Ultra sound  All different docs said that it is nothing. some of them actually think that I am crazy!!! The pain comes and goes.It is making me crazy.
I have been to ER God know how many times. I always think that " this one is different". I have a busy but peaceful life.I have had a spine surgery done Gallbladder removed, I had Thyrid cancer which is fine now.
I have been through alot but this worries me tha most.......

I am 40 years old and have also been experiencing pain in my left chest area off and on for the last 2 years.  My gut instinct told me it was not my heart, but my doctor had me go to a heart specialist and I had all the tests.  Everything came back normal.  I just had another EKG the other day because I had pain across the wall chest area (pulled muscle I think).  Anyway, last night and this morning, I have a dull ache that is just bothersome again.  It comes and goes.  I feel it all around my left breast and right at the armpit area.  I am quite sore though from the H1N1 shot I believe that I got 2 days ago too (which may have sparked this off again).  But I do get this pain off and on every few weeks.  It does bug me because it's right where the heart is too, but I just know it's not my heart.  I played sports growing up too (swimming) and pulled my left shoulder out of it's socket once when diving into the pool.  But that hasn't heart me in a long time.  As I am writing this though, the pain was getting a bit worse so maybe it is anxiety related too.  I have some of that in my life, but not to the point I'm stressed and anxious all the time.  And I don't feel stressed right now really either.  I would love to know what this is though.  I have my annual ob/gyn appt in a few weeks and will be talking to her too since no one else seems to know what this is.
I've been having sharp pains on my right breast, and just a constant pain underneath the right breast along my right armpit into my lower right side of neck to upper right side of back. I have no idea why this started all of a sudden- I could assume it's from always carrying my heavy laptop in a messenger bag that I wear n the right side. It might be the muscles underneath my breast....at first it would hurt when I turned my upper body to the left or right or whenever i reached for something. I wil be going to my gynocologist tomorrow to check my breast (I do not feel any sort of lump)...Hopefully it isn't something serious.
I live in the Caribbean and I have asthma, sinus, high blood pressure and i am about 100 lbs overweight. One night last month i was awaken out of my sleep with a sharp pain in my chest, my blood pressure went up and so did my heart rate to somewhere near 126. I was rush to the hospital.I was given voltarin and some stomach medication. The pain came and went mainly on right side of my upper chest area near my ribs. I have seen a heart doctor, did the EKG, XRAYS, AND ULTRA SOUNDS. The only thing the doctor found was that my liver looked a bit fatty and red because it was storing fat. The strange thing is that i keep have this slight pain that runs from under my left arm pit going down into my back it comes with a strange burning feeling.The other day i was so stress out i could not sleep. I sleep for an hour and think it is hours. I have a lot of neck pain and sometimes my head feels like a balloon and thats went i think i am losing my mind. Strange sensations  i sometimes feel in my arms, legs and face.I must say i have a terrible fear of getting a stroke, heart attack adn h1n1 flu.I constantly take my blood pressure. I went to a new doctor the other day who told me i was fine and need to stop fulling my head up of worries and fears. I kept on asking him why i feel so tired and my upper body feels so heavy, my heart even feels tired. I have done a head ct scan which came back normal. I want to feel like my old self again. I have not felt that way in seven years shortly after i had a spinal c-section to give birth to my son. Maybe something went wrong with the injection in my spine. I hpoe to GOD and pray that i am well. MAYBE IT IS ALL IN MY MIND AND satan is trying to bring me down.
I have had the exact same symptoms since I was 22 years old.  I am now 33 and still have the left side chest pain, under the arm pain etc.....  Some days I really do think I am going to have a heart attack and have even told many people "If I ever fall over dead, tell them about my chest pains".  I have been to soooo many doctors, had every test done you can imagine and they always came back NORMAL.......which would frustrate me to death.  Then about 6 years ago I was told the pain and discomfort was Rheumatoid arthritis of the breast bone. I had a really hard time believing this could really be the issue. I have since also been told I have Rheumatoid arthritis in my foot and It is pretty painful at times.  I am also glad to hear that I am not alone in this mysterious chest pain.
I have had pain in left armpit and left breast for two and a half years...i have no insurance so I haven't gotten any test done, but there has not been one single day without the pain. I can't touch my left breast without extreme discomfort and pain. Was trying to wait to see if public option would pass before I got tests run, but I think i'd have a better shot at George W. becoming a democrat than me getting healthcare in this country. Spending the last three hundred dollars I have for dec. to go and get this checked out, but after reading these posts, I don't think I'll ever figure it out. Would just say screw it and deal with the pain, but noticed last night  discoloration and inverted nipple in right breast. You know, even if this mammogram did return cancer, how am I, at 27, suppose to afford all of this treatment to begin with. Hell, 300 is just the drs visit and a discounted mammogram.
I just got back from the doctor's office and he told me it was chostocondritis.  He prescribed Clinoril, an anti-inflammatory used for acute conditions.  Fingers crossed!  I was so glad to find this website last night and realize I wasn't the only person on earth who felt this way.  When the doctor pushed around on my chest (while I squawked...), the first thing he said was, "You have a condition called costochondritis".  I had already researched it after seeing it mentioned several times here.  I felt informed and just a little smug.  Thanks for that!
I am 23 years old and I am so glad that I found this forum!! It seems that all of us have the exact same problem, and almost all of us have experienced some form of stress. I have been describing the pains to people here and there, and they all brush it off. I even told my doctor once and she said I was too young for that. It feels like there is a knife going inside my underarm, and I noticed my chest is very sensitive. Sometimes my daughter will lay on my chest and if she puts too much weight on the middle of my chest between my breast I think she is going to break my bones. I am so glad I found so many others who experience these pains.
I am having the EXACT same symptoms right now. I have had them on a few different nights recently. I have pain right above my left breast, below my left shoulder blade, my shoulder and down into my arm. As well as a radiating pain going into my neck and in my ear.

I am a 26 year old female, and got out of bed because I am scared that I am having a heart attack. I have no insurance, and can't afford to see a doctor about the symptoms.

I too have had anxiety related issues in the past, but am currently not on any meds. I am engaged, but not making plans for the wedding just yet. We are having financial problems, and I have a 4 year old daughter. I am stressed out because of the financial problems this close to Christmas, and some other varying factors.

If nothing else, this forum has helped me to not worry so much about it, and maybe I can fall asleep now.

Has anyone found any type of conclusion on these symptoms? I like the theory that they are caused by stress, but I am still a little afraid I am having a heart attack.  

you all need to see a physical therapist...can i recommend a Myotherapist??
Stress/ anxiety can be held in your upper shoulders and cervical (neck) area which can affect all sorts of functions within the body.
If you have some sort of anxiety im assuming you have some breathing problems, like being unable to take in a full breath-this is caused by accessory breathing muscles that wrap around the clavicle (collarbone) and help lift the rib cage up. When these get tight-you can experience sharp, dull, numb symptoms.
As for the arm pit pain-'coracobrachialis' and your pecoralis are the muscles that you need to look for. Coraco sits right under the arm pit and lives alongside your subclavian artery-when this muscle gets tight (mostly from postural positions, sleeping position-esp if your arm lies above your shuolders n head) he can give off the most uncomfortable amount of pain and will refer to the upper (volar aspect) of your hand. As for the Pecs, they can also refer under the arm pit and around the breast-mostly under the nipple....
See how that goes for some of you and dont stress so much...life is too short to spend time worrying about being stressed!!
Good Luck
Thank you guys so much for taking the time to post about this. I have been worried sick about this pain. I almost didn't know how to describe the pain well enough to Google to peg this forum so dead on. At least I know I need to go and relax myself cause I am sure the STRESS on top of the stress that caused this is making it worse.
I am a 37 year old female. Ive been in constant horrific pain now for almost a month.. NON STOP! I have pain in my wrist.. only on the top of my wrist, the top of my hand is numb and one finger, the pain extends up my arm on my forearm. I have been diagnosed with tennis elbow ok fine... but my hand swells, the wrist pain forearm pain, then that extends up to my bicep and shoulder... with in the last day or so its now in my tricep and armpit. I am taking 800 mg 4 times a day with NO HELP, Ive been on muscle relaxers no help, tylenol with codeine no help, Ive been on tramadal no help. My neck has started to bother me. I think I have a pinched nerve. Im not sleeping at night, I have to sleep in our recliner which that is where I have been now since the beginning of December 09. Yesterday when i woke up i noticed that my left shoulder is getting the same shoulder pain as my right side.. Its pain in the socket. My dr tried telling me that the shoulder pain is associated with tennis elbow.. Which I think is a load of bull considering now its on the left side. If someone has any thoughts, suggestions, help or anything PLEASE email me. ***@**** thank you so much!
Yep, had it at an early age. One day my chest beneath the breast line felt like someone put a rubber band around me, it tighted and I felt the tingling sensations. 15 years later I got it again and it moved to the left breast armpit and back area. Every Ekg, Mri Mammogr. Chiropract. emergency room, pain pills did nothing for me. I found out I had internal shingles from an RN receiving therapy at the same place my husband was. Prior to that I did not know, but my husbands ortho. said it sounded like shingles and to take Lyrica, if it wasn't shingles he said Lyrica would do nothing. I took it for 3 days and the pain was gone. I had been living with it for 7months. Anyway it is returning agian, flairs up under stress, etc.... or even a wrong move, some times. Terrible, you feel like your being shocked in your body it hits you at the weirdest times then somethimes it does nothing. Freaky pins and needles thousands of them like an electrical current through that area of your body. Anyway I startred my Lyrica meds today and hopefully it will be gone in a few days.  Good luck hope this helps. Sorry for the typo's in a hurry to get some rest.    
For the past month I have had a pain more like burning top part of left breast to the armpit,, It seems to burn more after I work out.. My trainer said it could be Angina but I didn't think Angina could last that long.. called my doc and because I am not pregnant  he will not take me until Febuary.. Any suggestions here will be greatly helpful thankyou..
I am looking at all these women with this issue and I am really noticing the stress/anxiety thing as a common thread. My suggestion is that we all take at least twenty minutes a day (ten in a.m. ten in p.m.) and meditate. Just focus on your breath for those ten minutes. In and out with the breath, and if you wander from it just gently come back to it, in and out focus.
You will be amazed at how just a little focused intentional breathing can help relax the body totally. Sometimes we search for complex answers, and medicines when really we can try a simple exercise and the results are huge. The body over time creates symptoms from what seem to follow the stress and anxious thoughts. Just take time to notice the connection. And the body will follow the time you take to relax it ON PURPOSE. So feel free to sit down and breethe! Happy well being to you all!
I am SO glad to have found this! I am 18 years old and suddenly developed these symptoms after starting a new stimulant medication for hypersomnia (excessive sleeping). When I do not take it, the symptoms (pinching/discomfort under armpit, down arm, upper left breast and clavicle area) seem to diminish, but when I do, they return. Seeing as I need the medication to stay awake, I have been taking Aleve tablets and they seem to help.

I am still undergoing some tests, my thyroid levels were just checked and I am waiting on the results. I also get acid reflux occasionally, and I seem to be developing a lump-feeling in my throat, but I am not sure if that is temporary or what.

However, I was diagnosed with anxiety and my medication seemed to heighten my anxiety symptoms. It may be that anxiety is the cause of this weird sensation! I am also going to investigate whether or not it may be a pinched nerve. This is all very stressful for me as I am a busy pre-med student in college, but this threat gives me hope!
I'm 33 and have been experiencing this pain on and off for a year too. Mostly on my right side boob, armpit, chest area, and sometimes radiates through the shoulder or even down my arm. It's usually like a dull ache with an occasional pain. It kinda feels like a bruise or strained muscle sometime. My underwires definitely irritate it. I sometimes get it a bit on the left as well. I thought it was plugged milk ducts from nursing. I had my gyno do a good breast exam several months ago and she didn't feel any lumps and bumps, so I try no to get too freaked about it. I also have fibromylagia (fibromyalgia) and anxiety and it does seem to get triggered during stressful times. I also swear it's related to my cycle as it seems to get worse for me mid-cyle, either before or after my period, however you want to look at it. I was also diagnosed with thyroid cancer back in May and had half of my thyroid removed. The pain does happen mostly on the side with my remaining thyroid so that freaks me out a bit, but I've been treated and I'm being tracked, so I guess I can't worry too much about it. It makes me wonder if my lymphatic system is working overtime over there for some reason. Anyhow, I feel better after seeing this thread and will probably have the chiropractor and acupuncturist work on it and try drinking a ton of water and the biggest challenge- STOP WORRYING ABOUT IT!
hi i am 20 and have had this pain for  7 months now i am getting depressed with it because i cant so anything anymore and it suxs i dont feel normal. im sick of going to doctors and them telling me its musckular pain when i know its not. also the pain carry's on to my left breast and then i get sharp pain from under my left side of my ribs right up to my chest i thought something was wrong with my heart because i get paplertations witth this pain im over it sometomes i feel like killing myself because the doctors dont belevie me nad i want to be normal again i wanna have kids even having fun wth my partner hurts and i just cry and am always holding my breast and pulling and punshing my shoulder blade .. so over it i havnt touched any alcohol for 8 months due to me not knowing what is wrong and im 21 soon and want to have a good night .. please help email me at ***@**** please
Wow, im not alone.. I have had pain behind my right breast, my armpit, shoulder and down my spine. I have been in a terrible state over this as i am terrified of cancer, im 32 with 4 great children the thought of leaving them terrifies me. Thinking the worst i went to my doctor.
She did a breast exam and found NO lumps or any sign of breast cancer and suggested that id pulled a muscle.
Happy for a day or 2, pain still there i began to panic again thinking she had missed something...  i went back (feeling silly) this time i broke down crying told her how i feel... so worried and scared. she has now diagnosed 'anxiety'  and given me antidepressants.
Ive had some comfort reading all comments on here and my anxiety level feels better, (but pain still here.) I will add this page to my favorites and read it whenever i feel panic over pain being cancer.
I am 50 and have had this pain and swelling (around both breasts, under both arms, up both sides of my neck, and across my shoulder blades and chest) since I was in my late teens.  I've had a slew of tests, and my doctor concluded it was a viral infection very similar to fibromyalgia.  He also told me that it becomes exacerbated when 1) I don't get enough iron in my diet (ie red meat); 2) stress; 3) lack of sleep; & 4) higher altitudes.  My pain comes and goes (it's bad right now - mostly stress), and I can control it only through vitamins and Ibuprofen.  The doctor told me that it is not life-threatening, though there is no cure. However, it doesn't affect the lungs, heart, or lead to cancer.  At least that's something.
I am 18 years old am experiencing the same pain, ive had a dull ache that comes and goes on the left side right about my breast sometimes moving down my arm and near my shoulder blade. I noticed that drinking and smoking will increase this pain and i sometimes feel as though i am having a heart attack. i have been diagnosed with anxiety and depression but am off meds right now. im thinking it has alot to do with anxiety, when i push the pain out of my mind it sometimes goes away. i think much of the pain can be in our minds, but never the less it is still scary.
Am 19 years old and i have been experiencing this pain on my left breast, my armpit seems to be sore and I also had pain in my left shoulder blade. The pain in my left breast sometime varies from a cramping sensation to some tingling sensation and it scared me to think it was a heart attack. Ive been suffering from anxiety attacks since i turned 15 but they come and go, I have learned to control them and i don't take any medication for anxiety. But i noticed this pain after i had an anxiety attack which you know it can vary from symptoms and sure it was because i stopped taking my vitamin B. Now am more convinced that this bothersome in my left breast is related to my anxiety problem and the only natural thing that ill recommend for you guys to take for anxiety is vitamin B complex, its of a great help to calm you down.

Maggie.
I just want to say my own personal journey of many issues started at 15 and were mostly written off to anxiety etc... however at about age 27 I finally got some diagnoses and now at 30 i am properly treated... I was looking up this pain I was having and came across this board. I am having just a slight pain at least I would call it slight haha... it feels almost as if someone is taking a large safety pin and peircing me from my mid left breats to that(as some of us have it) fleshy underarm part... then closing it and pulling my skin apart... while it hurts very very much it is a sharp quick pain upon certain movements... and it seems to be growing into a dull burning... I know burning is usually pinched nerve but I never thought you could have one there...

Anyway I have fibromyalgia and lupus, and sever restless leg, severe raynauds disease, some sort of bowel issue... I also have costocondritis. And bursitis and 4 messed up discs in my back and neck...

!Costo is something you could look into for some of you, but it is not generally a pain that goes into your shoulder or underarm. It is the inflammation of ligaments that connect your ribs to the sturnum... you would feel pain more likely in a central area... dont get me wrong it can spread and even feel like a heart attack... I have it in all my condral joints both sides and it is considered rare but I'm rare i guesss... hugging is a pain.

I have also heard a few people mention right or left shoulder pain that feels like it is peircing... something that might have started off with a terrible force but may not be a dull ache but you can hardly use the arm for certain things like putting milk into the buggy... this is most likely bursitis... look up bursa and it will tell you its function... Anyway I will be seening my doc soon and if he gives me anything useful on my underarm thing i will pass it along and i hope i helped some of you.
I think a lot of people here need to do what ezza8 has already suggested..........seek out a good physical therapist.  
I have the same symptoms and my PT has done wonders!

frog4soccer,

Listen to your doctors and ask for a referral to a PT.
i'm 25 and have conceived a baby but the problem is after the delivery i had some pain in my armpit, when i consulted the surgeon she gave me an injection and the milk supply was stopped after that the pain got reduced but after 6 to 7 months this got started paining and i can't work a lot because of this pain so please help to reduce this

regards
Jeevitha
I am reading this forum with interest. . .I am 60, and have had pain in the left side of my body, around the heart, then into the breast, armpit, and even radiating down the arm.  I am getting treatment from an osteopath, who is doing myofacial (spelling here?) release work on me.  It does help.  The other leads on here have been very helpful as well.  I am happy to see (happy for relieving my anxiety) that this is a common thing.  I will be seeing my doctor about it, also, but will try some alternative methods also, and not panic.
I have so many identical symptoms to what's being discussed here--sharp, twinge-y pains in the breasts (more on the right than on the left) and in the near-armpit area (rarely in the actual armpit).  Also pain, stiffness, burning sensations in the entire back of my neck, shoulders, right side of my neck.  All of this seems to be triggered or related to tension and/or panic/anxiety attacks--one or more almost every single day for 3+ weeks now.  The attacks have all the "usual" symptoms--elevated BP, elevated pulse, "flushed" feeling in the face, cold and clammy/sweaty hands/feet, dizziness, about-to-faint feelings, about-to-throw-up feelings (while not actually vomiting).  What is UNUSUAL about these attacks is that a few times they have been accompanied by migraine-level headaches (no sensitivity to light but all other migraine symptoms).  I previously had no history of high BP, heart problems, had a mammogram 10 months ago (more on that in a sec) and a ROUTINE physical follow-up and blood work (no x-rays, no "monitor" hookup of any kind).  Here's what I've got to share so far:

Physical:  Everything "normal" except 2 things:  (1) my dr missed a vulvar "lesion" I asked him to look at when doing the pelvic part of the exam; turned out to be moderate dysplasia (pre-cancerous--had it surgically removed by my ob/gyn with a "clean" result); (2) my cholesterol was a bit high, but not significant enough to need meds--was told to watch my diet better, given diet "suggestions," etc.

This all started by finding an unidentifiable "lump" in my breast--cancer was the first concern.  The mammo found multiple "cysts," which I was told were benign, routine, and would "burst" or resolve on their own and be re-absorbed by my body.  Had this further confirmed by a breast surgeon--no surgery was necessary and the lump (and the 2nd one found on the mammo) went away.  I was also advised by BOTH drs that these types of cysts are COMMON and SHOULD be checked out if they last more than 30-60 days.  So GET THOSE MAMMIES GRAMMED!  I'm 47 and hadn't had a mammogram since 1997, so I was WAY overdue.  I WILL be getting an annual one from here on out!  They're expensive, but if you have insurance, it will cover most of it, and if not, go to your county hospital!

Do your self breast exam more than once a month if you're having pains in your breast and ALERT your dr if you're actually finding lumps or bumps you can't identify.  Also be AWARE of other symptoms of breast cancer.  A friend of mine's started with what looked like a PIMPLE on the OUTSIDE of her breast.  Get those boobs checked out!

I recently moved and am too far away from my "regular" dr of 20+ yrs to see him, so when I started having problems, I saw my local ob/gyn who had done the lesion surgery.  He prescribed Xanax (0.5 mg) for the anxiety.  That helps a LOT if you can catch it when you first feel it coming on, otherwise it takes 20 mins-1 hr for it to kick in good.  But the pains, aches, soreness were still a problem and the anxiety attacks weren't going away.  My ob/gyn is sending me to a psychiatrist who CAN prescribe meds if necessary to get me leveled out--this is still "in the works"--trying to find one who will accept our insurance.

About 8 days ago, an attack got so bad, I had my husband take me to the ER--I had taken a Xanax but it didn't seem to have any effect yet.  However, by the time I got there (and they examined me quickly--less than 15 mins wait time), most of the symptoms had subsided--BP normal, pulse normal, breathing almost normal, etc.  The ER dr didn't examine me--he and the nurses just talked to me and made notes.  Diagnosis:  Panic attack--nothing more.  HOWEVER, he also prescribed Hydrocodone-APAP (5-500) for the headaches and pains.  That, coupled with the Xanax, seems to help, but after 3+ weeks, the attacks still come regularly--just not quite as severe as the earlier ones.  Prior to this, I hadn't had an anxiety attack in over 15 years!

To say that I'm overstressed is the understatement of the world.  My new husband was diagnosed with Stage IV colon cancer (and all that that entails) in November; the last 4 jobs I'd had cut me loose because they were in financial difficulties, and that repeated again this last Friday (the perils of working in small firms/companies)--so now I'm jobless on top of that.  And my husband and I are finishing raising 3 teenagers without a dime's child support from the ex-wife.  Our stress level is VERY high. What's puzzling is that we've managed coping VERY well until now.  You'd think if this were going to happen, it would be when things were the WORST for us--not months after.

I plan to get a more THOROUGH physical soon--VERY soon--and also have an upcoming appt w/a neurologist to try to rule out pinched nerves, etc.  But thank you for sharing YOUR experiences, since so much of what I've been fearing seems to be ruled out by YOUR doctors.

ONE WORD OF CAUTION:  If you ARE prescribed something, be VERY careful.  I have difficulty standing, cooking, driving, etc. when I take either (or both) of my Rx.  Don't do anything that would put you at risk until you start to feel "normal" again.  You CAN break them in half if the symptoms are mild or not yet full-blown, and this helps with relief AND cuts down the side effects.  This "problem" AND the medications make it hard to get on with your life, especially if you are used to being active, working, running a household, etc.  Also, I was told to CUT CAFFEINE to avoid more breast cysts--apparently there's a link there.

I'm 47, I normally smoke 3/4 pack of cigarettes daily (have cut back since all this began), and am in "early stages" of menopause.  Age, smoking, etc. CAN all be factors, among other things such as diet, caffeine, sodium intake, etc.  There are lots of things you can change about your habits and lifestyle to try to HELP get some relief, but the only thing I get fairly IMMEDIATE relief from is the medication so far.

Hope this helps, and I will try to watch this board for more input for myself from others.  PLEASE POST if you find good HELP.

I have the same exact problem but its new to me...although its not excruciating pain it is very scary. I haven't been diagnosed with anxiety but my boyfriend tells me I am a very anxious person...I would reallyy like to know the cause of this and what it could been linked to.haven't been to the doctors in a while..so any answers would be great!!!
I just looked this up cause I'm having a bad pain there right now!!  I'm only 13 and nothing helping right now it's in my upper left breast it really hurts and feels num at times!!!!!! Somebody help us!!!!
I have suffered injuries to both shoulders at one time or another. Nothing has ever torn, but I have dislocated one and wrenched the other. I do occassionally experience pain above my breast and in my armpit as well as radiating pain through the front of my arm, also popping and clicking at the joint. I believe this is from muscle tension and strain, and trauma to the rotator. I think really the only thing to do is reduce stress and strengthen.
I would like to propose my hypothesis.

It worries me so to see how our medical community tends to want to treat things with pain killers... etc.  I am very into naturopathic remedies.. I'm currently finishing my Biology degree, am a big fan of yoga and ballet, and with my knowledge and experience, and body awareness and attention to muscle pain.. have been able to pretty confidently think I have identified the root of my, and I suspect many of your, problem.  The verdict: "The anatomical bermuda triangle" The Scalene Triangle!!

I am including several links with information.  I am not a big fan of lengthy "scientific" prose, and I think most of this information should be easy to understand for everyone.  None of the articles/videos are very long... you will be glad you watched/read!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiU1PCxuFyU
http://www.nismat.org/ptcor/thoracic_outlet
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16570243

So basically a lifetime of poor posture (scoliosis in my case, also possibly shoulder hunching, side sleeping) causes scalene imbalances or tightness which leads to compression and tightness of lots of sensitive things in that area!!

I wish you all the best of luck and I hope you all are able to find healthy solutions to your ailments.

I am very interested in hearing what you find if you present this information to your doctors!! Please message me on facebook ***@****
If you are having pain on one side of the chest and sometimes radiates to the shoulder and arm it could be Costochondritis. It is usually limited to one side but not always, as in my case sometimes my left side hurts but mainly my right. Just take some NSAIDS for the inflammation and don't sleep on your stomach and try sitting in an upright position for a week and symptoms should improve.
im 21, with severe panic dissorder, a have 2 kids and ive been getting pain up my left shoulder, n across my chest. recently started to get heart burn and pain up my back im constantly afraid im taking a heart attack n it gets me down thunking ill loose my kids. ive been to emergancy room lots before having heart tests and its been ok so now im ambarrassed to go back incse thers nothing wrong, but what if there is???

ashxx
I answered this post 7 months ago, which was also the time when I was dealing with some major relationship and work-related problems. I was often tense and had mild depression. In short, I wasn't healthy emotionally and was not exactly in my optimum health.

Now, after 7 months, that pain on my shoulder, which is the topic of this post, is almost gone. I made some changes with my life including how I react to situations and generally, having a more positive outlook on life. I used to feel so discouraged and afraid of the future, but at some point, I snapped myself out of that mindset.

Most of the physical health problems we experience are directly related to our emotional health.Just think ... anger, worry, sadness, anxieties all cause our hormones, blood pressure and muscles to react, thus disrupting the balance in our system. This is easier said than done, but throw away the worries and anxieties and your health will also improve. You'll be doing yourself a favour. Start one step at a time.
i am a 43 yr old female and have just been diagnosed with HSV-1.   Along with all the pain that come with having my first outbreak from this disease, the worst pain has been in the lymph nodes under my left and sometimes right armpit.  This is one of the symptoms of HSV.  It has been so painful that the doctor is treating it with vicodin. That is all he can do for me until my outbreak goes away...if it ever goes away.  I also have pain on the top of my left breast.  I guess the virus/infection goes to the lymph nodes and resides there which is what is causing all my pain.  this may not be what you have, but have you been tested for HSV 1 or 2?  Am hoping for all of you that this is not the case.  Also, has anyone figured out if it's better to use an icepack or heating pad to relieve the pain?  
Cold compress is applied when there's an injury to an area, ie. sprains, torn muscle, etc., to numb the pain.
Heat relieves pain by relaxing the muscles. In your case, I'd apply heat because when your lymph nodes swell due to the infection, the muscles around that area are affected causing tension. I hope this helps.
Wow, I have been making myself crazy because all I can think about is this stupid pain. Well its not stupid it is scary. It is located to the top of my left breast and it is a sharp to dull pain that comes and goes. I have been diagnosed with  Costochondritis and I am not sure what all that entails so I was looking for some support here. I got a steroid shot on Tuesday and a prescription of Previcid. What is weird is the pain does not seem to bother me when I am relaxed. But sense I worry about it all the time I have wine to relax and it helps. Is this weird or what? The more I worry over this the more it seems to act up. I went to massage therapy on Tuesday also and I felt amazing until yesterday evening! I think that the massage relaxed me and eased my mind and that is why the pain subsided for a while. Does anyone else on here feel this way?? Please respond asap..Thank you for your time!!
I have it too, been through all the test and everything is fine. I also suffer from anxiety and depression sometimes. I had this problem since 2004 and decided to quit smoking in 2007. Doctor diagnosed me with fibromyalgia. Not sure it that's true, but until somebody knows something different I guess that's what I have. Hope this helps and good luck to all of you!
I am 30. Mine started after nursing (last year). At first I assumed it would take time for the girls to find their grove again. I would only get it very sporadically, but now it comes back more frequently which i think is because my "baby" is almost 1 1/2 years and heavier still doesn't walk and i carry him on my left side.  Its a very dull ache.  Every now and then, if I lay wrong I'll get a quick shock of pain but mostly its just "there" and not painful at all.  I feel better seeing these posts.  However I am still going to talk to my doctor at the next check up, just to be safe.  

The stress thing makes sense to me also.  My baby/toddler had a lot of health issues this last year (frequent sickness, severe allergies to food, medicine and environment, iron deficiency anemia)  Its been a challenge and I've been doing a lot of reading about food and allergies etc.  There is way too much confusing information for a fulltime mom with a fulltime job so I see a Health Counselor and am learning a lot way more than I can share in a post.  But this might be an option that may help some.  Anyway i've started doing yoga to get my muscle strength back.  And am eating better whole natural healthy foods that make my body happy so it can do what it needs to.

My hope is to get a clean bill of health from my doctor.  After a few months of yoga, eating better, prayer, AND this kid starting to walk.  It will be able to heal.
Hello! I am 35 years old I am having the same kind of pains you all have describe and I have anxiety and on meds for it. I have pain above and under my left breast and the pain going up my left shoulder. What the heck is wrong with us- I feel like I am going to have a heart attach or just not wake up one morning when I go to bed with this feeling. This is just too scary.
I see anxiety and fibromyalgia mentioned a lot in these posts.  My massage lady told me to take Milk Thistle Combination from Natures Sunshine, that the anxiety originates in your liver.  I thought what the heck, I have tried everything else.  Well I am happy to report I don't take my Valium often any more.  Today I was having the pains in the armpit pretty intensely and took the valium, but shame on me I hadn't been taking my Milk thistle.  I am under a lot of stress so I am sure it is anxiety with me.  The pain still stresses me out and I decided to look on the internet and see what I could fine to ease my mind I wasn't having a heart attack (I'm 53, have had all the tests and know my heart is healthy but the anxious gremlin in my head goes there first).
I had a good old fashioned nervous breakdown 3 yrs ago.  Cried for 3 weeks (constantly unless I fell asleep from exhaustion) and couldn't tell you why, was terrified to be left alone, took 4 mos before I could be alone again.  I took Lexapro for it and I finally did stop crying but ended up with the side effect of jaw pain and quit taking it.
The doctors wanted me to be diagnosed with fibro and I just kept saying no thank you...I was over weight and in pain all over constantly, my cousin has been trying to get me to read Dr Gundry's Diet Evolution for about 2 yrs.  Finally I gave in and tried it for 2 wks.  In that short time my pain was so much less it was amazing.  I have been practicing the new eating habits for 3 1/2 mos now and have lost 30 lbs, that isn't the part I am so excited about.  I no longer have to take any pain meds or pack myself in hot packs to go to sleep at night, I sleep through the night now and feel much more rested than I have in years!   Try it, it is so worth it, and if I could just keep my silly mind from running in the "what if rut" I think I would never have pain!
I also do energy medicines like reiki and body talk.  
Hope any of this give you some relief!
Health to all of you!
Something easy NOT to overlook.
Deep cycle sleep,
which requires at least 3-4 hours uninterrupted; to accomplish this,
- you may have to avoid liquids many hours before bedtime
- you may have to avoid spicy foods, over eating/2nd helping/desserts & well before bedtime
- you certainly have to close to a tea sip, alcohol gives your heart a workout while sleeping and then there's the body cooling regulation rollercoaster problem
- you might have to better manage a dark, quiet/white noise, cool & clean sleeping area w/no pets
- avoid addictive sleeping pills, get a prescription for a tiny (5mg) dose of antidepressant that works, then take it well before bedtime
wow this thread has being going a while, and here i am yet anothere person with the same symptoms as you all. Lots of good advice here and very comforting to know that others have this problem and have been tested etc and that nothing so far is pysically wrong. I was really amazed to read that so many suffer anxiety/panic/stress disorders.....i myself have the same condtion so will take the advice of many here and look at reducing/controlling that....as i have noticed that on "good"days my armpit pain is not present.....will continue to read with much interest.
   I started having this same problem, Hammering heart, muscle spasms, burning/ tingling/ sharp pains going up and down my left torso and arm and into my shoulder and neck and even my face, after an accident in which I landed on my head and left shoulder. As a result from the accident I now have 2 slipped discs in my neck which has been giving my nerves a hell of a time. After having several MRI's done and seeing about 4 nerve specialists and surgeons  I pretty much get the same answers, nerves. The hammering heart is from the constriction of the chest muscles, caused by the nerves, the heart starts beating faster because of the pressure around it. The burning pain in the chest and armpit is from pressure against the nerve canal, narrowing it, causing the muscles to constrict and spasm. The pain in the rib cage is also caused by the nerves, the nerves in the cartilage swell and cause your ribs to expand. Check out this web site for possible other solutions: http://www.healthhype.com/pain-under-left-rib-cage.html.  Another thing I found out with going to see so many doctors was that they all say that everybody has slipped discs in one way or another so it is a possibility that this could very well be the problem. Plus if you are extremely overweight meaning in the 80 to 100+ over range, then you can be putting to much pressure on the spine causing your discs to bulge or even slip out and put pressure on the nerves. Bad posture doesn't help either. Hope this helps some of you.
I found this on a website. I am 16 and have been getting similar pains above my left brest and my armpit. I found a condition on a website that might help some of you and i suggest you look it up or even consult your doctor with this new idea. Its the best explination i have found so far for most of you and i hope i can help. The pain is annoying but so short i mostly try to ignore it.

Angina: Angina is a common cause for chest pain under left breast which occurs when the heart doesn't receive enough oxygen rich blood. It gives a feeling of pressure or squeezing in the chest which may even radiate to shoulders, arms, neck or back of the body.

I hope everyone finds some sort of explination to their problem...i am still searching. These doctors seem to have no idea what they are doing.
To: Everyone please read the last paragraph...
Most of these posts sound  like TOS (Thoracic outlet syndrome or PECTORALl minor syndrome) here are some of the symptoms

Common Symptoms of Thoracic Outlet Syndrome include but are not limited to:
Head, Neck, Chest and Shoulder

* Neck pain
    * Shoulder pain (can mimic rotator cuff injury pain)
    * Inter-para scapular pain
    * Anginal Chest pain
    * Unexplained headaches
    * Funny or odd feelings in face and/or ear (some patients have reported a tight pulling and tingling feeling)
    * Dizziness, lightheadedness
    * Vertigo, syncope
    * Diplopia, Dysarthria, Dysphonia, Dysphagia
    * Tinnitus, ear pain
    * Color, swelling and temperature changes to the upper neck and/or chest

Upper Extremity

*Numbness and tingling of the arm and hand
    *
      Positional weakness of the arm and hand
    * Swelling of the arm and/or hand
    *Heaviness of the upper extremity
    *Ulnar distribution paresthesias
    *Weakness or clumsiness of the hand
    *Cool or cold extremity and/or hand
    *Tiredness, heaviness and paresthesias with arm elevated
    *Color changes of the hand and/or arm (cyanotic, pale, mottled)
    *Venous Distention of Upper Extremity

This is the website..http://www.atosa.org/main

also visit http://www.ecentral.com/members/rsanders/

From Dr. Sanders website:
The most frequent complaints are numbness and tingling in the fingers; pain in the neck, shoulder, and arm; headaches in the back of the head; weakness of the arm and dropping things from the hand; worsening of the symptoms when elevating the arm to do such things as comb or blow dry one's hair or drive a car; and coldness and color changes in the hand. The symptoms are often worse at night or when using the arm for work or other activities.

In 2005 we became aware of a large number of patients who, in addition to these symptoms, also had pain in the anterior chest wall, just below the collar bone along with pain over the shoulder blade and in the arm pit. Until recently it was thought that these symptoms were due to TOS, but now it has been learned that they are due to a condition frequently accompanying TOS, namely pectoralis minor syndrome.
I have been experiencing this pain as well.  A few minutes ago it happend.  I know it is coming because my upper back will be in severe pain.  I took Advil because I knew it was coming, I sat down, but it didn't stop.  It is under my left breast and now I'm starting to feel it under my armpit.  I've only had an x-ray on my spine and the PT my doctor suggested I take seems to only make it worse.  I have an ice pack under my breasts it usually is the one thing that always seems to work.  I don't have anxiety or problems with stress.  I do have epilepsy.  I am really scared because I don't know what's wrong.
I read this when I was having a dilemma of chest pain surrounding my left breast, up into my armpit, and around my back.  The pain is dwelling there, and no doctor could give me an answer.  I've had all the tests mentioned here, and none of them could answer the problem.

Today, I may have had a breakthrough.  I hope my progress towards better health can answer many questions and concerns here.  I know how it is to be in continuous pain.  I wish the best for all.

I was told by my physician to see a Thoracic Surgeon.  This raised an eyebrow for me... and scared me a bit.  Instead of listening to the physician, who couldn't find a solution beforehand, I decided to call my chiropractor.  He told me it was not a thoracic problem.  I had a Hiatal Hernia.  Hiatal Hernia's are hard to detect with the CT's, MRI's, etc.  

I would often wake at night feeling as though I was having a heart attack.  Rapid heart rate, tightness of the chest, hard to breathe, cold/hot sweats, and all around discomfort.  

The chiropractor simply used his hands to push my stomach back into place.  He told me to go home and place ice on my stomach.  That is the point I am at now.  I can, honestly, say.... the pain in my armpit area, already showing relief.  There is still tenderness around the breast, but I believe this to be a muscular development from all my stress/pain.  

I will keep everybody here posted on my progress.  I suggest, if many of you haven't been checked for a hiatal hernia, to do such.  Many of your symptoms sound like my own.

Hope this helps!  God bless!

Alicia
Found out some new info for this problem. Check it out here:
http://www.atlantotec.com/index.php/en/Details-misaligned-Atlas-subluxated.html

I am going through this treatment right now. In 1 treatment I have had a 80% improvement.
Hello, My name is Melody and I am dealing with TOS also. The TOS I have deals with nerves. I woke one morning with numbness in my pinky and ring finger after a blow to my head from my trunk. Then I started to have chest wall pain and occipital headaches on the right side above my ear and by my temple. I have been doing massage therapy with a wonderful woman who really knows her stuff. This along with some Ibprophen has really helped. My massage therapist also gave me some stretches to do that have helped. Some days my symptoms are worse than others but getting much better. I hope this helps you and I will answer any questions you may have. Good luck, Melody
my pain started after i had my daughter 5yrs ago, one morning i couldn't lift my left arm it hurt like hell to lift above my head, it was stiff and didn't hurt like i had pulled a muscle but it would radiate from the top of my neck down my shoulder to the middle of my arm and it felt like something was trying to cut it's way out of my arm, now there are certain areas that if i press the pain incresses, someone told me once that she had the same experience and like 2 of her other sisters and she said that they just rotated the shoulder daily and the pain went away within months, it's been almost 6yrs and the only improvement is that i can move my arm, i've told my husband that i feel as if i've been depressed every since i had my son almost 8yrs ago, could it be depression lasting this long? actually now that i think about it after i had my son my entire body hurt from my neck all the way down to my ankles, i was stiff and could barely walk for about a yr.
After suffering with extreme pain above my left breast and elsewhere I believe this to be a pinched nerve.  I believe this problem may be solved by seeing a chiropractor.  Just out of curiosity how many of you sit at a desk all day?  I noticed that the pain was eased the more I watched my posture.  
i have the exact same pain and im only 16. i get anxiety/panic attacks. i thought maybe this left arm pain near my heart was maybe from the attacks but im starting to believe its not.
Wow this post is really long and although it was somewhat reassuring when considering that others have the same symptoms as me, I just wanted  to post to add another statistic to the board.  It is annoying, but since it's only been 4 days for me I'll wait to see what happens.
So glad I found this thread after doing a search for my symptons.  I too am getting that pulling sensation under and around my breasts, under my arm and on the right shoulder blade.  
Also my breasts feel really heavy as though I'm about to come on, I was over a week late for my period this month too.

I have had it checked before by having a biopsy but the tests came back as a peace of gristle and was assured it would disappear.

I am now scared to go back to the docs.

I am now scared to go back to the docs.
I've had the same problems with my breast and arm pit and had exams and such so the thing is you have little pockets so you say in your breast that leads under your arm pits and on ocassion when your going to start your period or have a lot of hormones going through your body they will get stiff and hard and will give you pain. its nothing that can be done about it but its nothing to worry about.
I am a 15 year old and have been experiencing the same problems but im also having a cloudy leakage from my left breast as well as blood. I am still a virgin and have an extremely large history of breast cancer in both sides of my family. the doctors said it was probably a benign tumor and gave me antibiotics to stop the leaking. it has been a year now and it hasn't stopped and the pain in my back,shoulder,breast, as well as neck have continued to worsen. I believe this is some unknown disease, the amount of similar cases is astounding as well as upsetting. the pain is sometimes excruciating and i am sick of getting told it is nothing.
For any of the ladies who are still checking this thread, as I read the posts I found myself saying , "yes....yes....yes..."  to many of the odd, and seemingly disconnected symptoms that many expressed.  From the "swollen tendons" in the arm pit, to the sore lumps above the left breast, to anxiety, to IBS, etc. etc.  I have many of these symptoms.  They come and go, esp. with my menstrual cycle.  
THIS MAY BE YOUR ANSWER.  About a year ago,  I learned that I have an intolerance to gluten.  Look it up.  They main source is wheat, although it is in some other grains as well.  A severe intolerance is called "Celiac".  After many years of eating it, and having progressive "odd" and seemingly unrelated symptoms, fully eliminating gluten from my diet has got rid of most of these symptoms.  When I accidently get into it, symptoms return.  I think MANY individuals have some degree of intolerance.  As it causes damage to your intestines over time, secondary issues related to malabsorption of nutrients begin.  I would recommend trying a few weeks of a strict, gluten-free diet (read EVERY label).  When you try to re-introduce it you will know without a doubt if this was the problem as you will have an increasingly sensitized reaction to it being in your system (bloating and gas with in 10 minutes and diarrhea/ loose stool to follow).  Even the Tour De France American team doesn't eat gluten during the racing season, as it increases systemic inflammation in EVERYONE.  
Great thread. I have the same issues.I am 27 year old male, 210 LBS, smoker. My GP thinks that I have Ankylosing spondylitis because I have constant chest and back pain, that bothers my arms sometimes as well. I have had every test one could imagine (Cardio,Pulmonologist, Gastro, Neuro,) and everything comes back fine.

Well they did a blood test and found that I have the HLA-B27 gene in my blood. After I learned yhis, I started asking everyone in my family about this. My Grandmother and Aunt suffered from rheumatoid arthritis for over 25 years. One sister has been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and another has been diagnosed with Ankylosing spondylitis. I am going to see a Rheumatologist on Monday. Will let you know what he tells me.
wow. i have a panic disorder and i have the saaaame thing. i pinched a nerve a while ago and i felt the same numbing/pinching pain in my ribs. but i have had numbness and and tingles up and down my arm along with pain like a muscle that is all twisted up. i'm 16 and 108 lbs. it hurts to type this haha i wonder if is stress related or just a malnutrition/muscle. it feels like i have symptoms to a heart attack haha but i'm too young...?
Well, I am 44 and have had lower breast pain off and on for  1 1/2 years.  Then it was my neck and shoulder and now back into my breast again.  My doctors all said "stress", "muscle and shoulder strain".  I had the whooping cough vaccine and it made it so much worse, it triggered swolen lymph nodes under my breast and in my under arm.  At least a doctor fianlly found something because the mamograms were coming up negative.  So now it is in my groin area, breast, neck and shoulder.  Some of these symptoms are lymph nodes becasue I had mono 15 years ago and on the same (left) side.  After reading all of the posts I am more apt to think that more of us have lymph node problems being triggered by stress. I will have a cancer test on 9/2/2010 and hoping for best results as I have a 3 year old.  I think the woman who talked about internal shingles is on target because "mono", mononuceosis has affected 90%+ of women by the time they are 40 and it is in the HSV or Herpes family.  Shingles is also in the herpes family so the stress is negatively affecting our immune syste,  I work two jobs, do not take my vitamins and havbe not kept up with working out because at 120 pounds I just thought I was immune to stress and did not need the exercise.  We need to all say a prayer for each other! Reg
I'm 33 and this all started 5 years ago after my father in law passed away and the fur started flying among his family.  I had my first panic attack shortly (about 1 month) thereafter.  I took the sample pack of Lexapro the NP gave me but I hate to take medication.  I haven'thad a full on panic attack in a couple of years.  My pain only stops when I'm active.  Never felt better while I was training with my trainer.  I'm willing to try any and all of the above mentioned suggestions.  I'm thinking I'm going to start with meditation and exercise and maybe the gluten free foods.  A doctor could probably get an award if he could cure all of us.  I'll pray for everyone on this list and for those that haven't found it yet.
Hi, I am a 42 year old female and have been sffering with pains in top left side of my breast for around a few days now.  They are like a dull pain that is always constant with a sudden sharpness which lasts for around 10 seconds or so.  The pain has started to go down my left arm and has been causing pins and needles in left hand and fingers.  When this happens my arm and hand is useless for around a few minutes.  I was disgnosed with angina 3 years ago and have my GTN spray.  When diagnosed I changed my eating habits and I exercise more now and have not been bothered too much with it but just recently these pains have started.  I am not sure if it is the same as everyone else or something different, but if it is stress related then not much I can do apart from worrying less is there?  Ange
I have read so many of your posts and the many of you who have heartburn and the sharp pain behind either breast or in shoulder blades, back, neck and possibly get alot of headaches sounds like the classic symptoms of referred pain from gall bladder.  Not everyone gets the pain in the abdomen in fact very few due.  Take note if it tends to happen a while after eating fat or drinking alcohol.  Even some of the best doctors miss this.   Most common time are for women after having babies and menopause, there is a hormonal element to what can make them start to go.  Good luck to you all,
Wow, this is exactly the same pains I have experienced lately as well!!  I am 27 years old, what is wrong?  My pain began in my right shoulder blade and lasted for about 2 weeks.  I've been getting headaches for quite some time now, probable 2-3 times a week.  The back pain has been gone for about a week now but about 5 days ago my right breast started hurting.  I too feel a tingling or aching pain in my underarm that sometimes goes to through my arm to my finger tips.  All my discomforts seem to be mostly in the right side.  About 2 years ago I began having panic attacks and was diagnosed with anxiety.  I've had and EKG and have been to the cardiologist who tells me that I have a perfectly healthy heart.  I have a brain MRI scheduled for this Friday.  My doctor seems to beleive besides the anxiety I could also have a pinched nerve.  Hopefully they can figure out what is wrong soon.  This is really scary and just seems to make my anxiety worse.
I too have all the above and I'm tired of tests saying I'm normal... although there is now something showing up on lung x ray and I have vitamin d deficiency for 2 years now or since a blood test confirmed it. had whooping cough 3 years ago before operation to remove endo cyst on an ovary. now diagnosed with multiple musculoskeletal inflammation. had an itchy foot for ten years with a sack of fluid that seem to move around under the skin in and around toes which was too deep to pop. have a wisdom tooth needs removing due to decay.. magnesium fillings, myopia, glue ears as a child, swollen glands in behind ears for about 3 years doc said I had had glandular fever 6 months later... and went un treated... shall I continue....? Oh yep I have a fibroid 5 cm diameter in uterus and was diagnosed with IBS ten years ago. And no one believes me when I complain that when I stand my hair up it hurts on the scalp... someone told me to put a magnet on my hair to remove the electricity from my hair.....  I have been using a computer for work purposes for 13 years. Do you all use computers?
Hi im 29 and few weekr ago i started gettin a pain only in my left boob it comes and goes n startin to scare me does any one what it could be
I too have the same pain for about 4 months now, I was scare but after reading all your post I feel better now. I don't care about the pain too much because is not that painful. It is more about the uncertainity of what is it?. But now that it can be stress related I am relief. I want to accept what is. If this pain is, it is. I have trouble sleeping and that is the reason of the stress. I have been for soooo long with the insomnia that I know what to do about it. I relax and sleep. This site is a blessing thanks to all of you. I will post when I am pain free.
Maybe this will help all of us experiencing these symptoms.
I too started with pain under my left arm - at first I only noticed it when I yawned, but now, 6 weeks on it is most of the time. It then spread to sharp shooting pains in my left breast and now I have a generally sore and achy sholder too. I have been trying not to think of breast cancerm but I am in a high risk group so of course I do worry! Also I had lymphoma some years ago, so I kept thinking it was coming back.

I too have suffered from anxiety and stress and one of the very common symptoms of anxiety and or depression is hypochondria. I always thought I was too intelligent to be a hypochondriac - I somehow thought I would be able to rationialise things - but it seems not. About a year ago, when I was going through a bad bout of anxietym I stated getting terribly head pain fr about 6 weeks - of course, I became convinced it wasa tumour. I then found a wonderful web site where you can just click on the part of the body that is worrying you most at that time and it takes you to many other stories the same as yours from other users and how they overcame their problem -and in nearly all cases, as people realise that stress and anxiety is causing the problems which are then exacerbated by hypochondriam the symptoms often subside or even go away. I do also think their is some very real nerve pain involved here too ( we are not just making it up!) but it is probably referred pain from our spine somewhere because of all the tension. Please try the web site it really helps me and is very frinedly!
http://www.hyporelief.com/home
ive had that pain it up kinda close by my arm pitt but when i have it its like a cramp but i cant even move me arm well i can but it fells like fuzzy and weird im not sure how to describe it.
I am 24 and i am having a real bad pain under the left breast moving up to the side by the armpit . It hurts really bad and it has been hurting for a while . Can anyone help me with suggestions and also what may this be or could be .

Thank you
Reading everyone's comments here is like hearing my own words.
I'm male and in my late 30's and lately I'm experiencing also that burning extreme pain on my left chest to my armpit for at least two minutes.
One person told me that it may be related to a frozen shoulder which is I think a tendon lesion.
for a  few weeks now though my left shoulder is partly immovable for when I raise it, let's say to some extreme, the pain triggers and it's extremely painful on the deltoid muscles, above the triceps.

And yes, I use computers all day.

I too am looking for a therapy or cure to this. If you found one, please share it.
i have some of the same symptoms as well i am 22 years old and i have had the pain for about 2years now....i have been in out of the doctors office even had my gallblader (gallbladder) removed nothing helped.....i suffer with anxiety and panic attacks....i dont think its strange we have have anxiety and stress i mean we have pain and if you are like i thought i was my heart and i was dying since no one could tell me whats wrong so of course we all have anxiety who wouldnt right? i believe it we could all have so kind of pinched nerve because for me i know when i lay a certain way or move it feels a lil better i get the pain everyday not always serve but i plan on talking to my doctor about the pinched nerve thing maybe you should do the same what could it hurt right? well hope this helps someone
I have the same pain, I am 22 and live in adelaide, south australia!
I have also been to the doctors and they don't know what it is... I also get it under my left ribcage and sometimes it works its way down to the left side of my pelvis... I have no idea but wish someone knew what to do about it :-(
I'm from Ireland and this pain started with me about 7 years ago. I went to my doctor, had all the tests & x-rays, but all came back clear. I am healthy, fit, don't drink a lot of alcohol & I drink my 2 litres of water a day! A trainee pharmicist told me that the pill (depending onn the brand) can raise your oestrogen levels, cause an imbalance & therefore cause pain. I had been on the pill for two years previously. I came off the pill & within 3 months the pain had subsided. I still got a twinge just before my period but nothing like the constan tpain I'd suffered for 2 years. After I had my children, my doctor suggested the Mirena coil. I had it fitted but just 6 months later the pain came back & I had to have it removed. I am a worrier, but have never been diagnosed with stress or anxiety. Just a month ago the pain returned, and I've had it for the past 3 days. Personally I think it is down to a certain level of stress & lack of sleep. (My work has changed in the last 2 months, causing a great deal of upset.) Alcohol, even though I don't drink a lot does make it worse, but at least when it hurts, I know why.  I am in no doubt that when my work settles down & I get back into a routine that the pain will subside again. I am delighted that I found this forum, as I thought, like everyone else that I was the only 1 with this constant discomfort.  I hope it helps some, maybe the younger women who are on birth control & never thought there might be a link. It could be worth exploring.  Heres to a pain free future for all of us....
Reading these posts have really helped curb my anxiety about this condition.  I have only had this very tender burning painful left tricep muscle (the flabby muscles under the arm that extends from the armpit 2/3 of the way to the elbow), left shoulder blade and left pectoral (chest) muscle pain for about 2 weeks. It has kept me moaning in my sleep according to my wife and has ranked as one of the more annoying experiences of my life, along with bursitis and a tooth abscess, but not as bad as gout. It generally is not so bad but flares up to be very painful at times during the day and at night when I am sleeping. If my undershirt binds, I am woken up by what feels like a  rope burn. There is also a stress/anxiety factor as well.  It started the week after my 64th birthday, and my Dad died a week after his 64th birthday, so that must have been on my mind..  My googling has led me to believe this was initially caused by my lifting of yard equipment and my grand kids, so I think it's safe to say it started with an aggravation of the pecs/triceps and/or ligaments. That day I was also sweaty and the weather turned cool, so I probably got a chill and a draft as well.

The good news is it's not fatal.  The bad is it can last for weeks or months. I found two things today while researching this that gave me relief to the muscles and therefore eased the pain.  One is to press my shoulder blade against the back of my computer chair for about a minute and slowly rotate (sort of grind)  my back (whole torso actually) in about a 3 to 6 inch circle around the point of my shoulder blade while pressing against the chair. This is similar to using a tennis ball between your back and a wall to massage a sore point, but is less pressure since your shoulder blade is the pivot point against your chair back. The second exercise is from yoga (which I haven't done in may years) which is to slowly rotate my head in  about a 12 - 16 inch circle, starting  with my chin pointing at my chest, then around to my left shoulder, then back so my forehead is pointing up, then around to the right shoulder than back toward the chest, 3 or 4 rotations in each direction. Both exercises are done very slowly and feels like I am grinding the knots out of my neck and back, but not to the point of pain or discomfort. I really think this pain is muscle related and then aggravated by anxiety/fear. The exercises help me and just take a minute or two a couple of times a day when the pain gets bad. But the biggest relief is to my anxiety by doing something to deal with it.
I must have done the exercise described in my post above a bit too vigorously because several hours later the pain in my shoulder blade more than doubled. Out of options, I decided to try a hot shower.  Initially the water actually hurt, but eventually the heat lessened the pain in my shoulder blade significantly.  All of which seems to confirm that this is
somehow a muscle related issue. My strategy for the next few days will be to try to use my left arm as little as possible and hope for the best
I have the same pain but it is sharp and tearing when I breathe in too deep or sharply.  Just presented earlier today very suddenly and hasn't let up.  When I am breathing slowly and relaxed it just aches.  I can't find any clues to what it is... :(
I have the same pain but mine is too sharp that some times make me cry...
I have the same thing.  Ache in my right breast.  First, my friend had breast cancer and she said you don't have pain when you have breast cancer.  That is why you have to be physically examined and have mamograms.  Second, I believe the ache is from a stiffness or slight arthritis in your shoulder or shoulder blade that aches in your breast, shoulder, back or arm.  Lack of excercise makes it worse, sitting in front of a computer all day, agrivates it, and if you are stressed and don't get it released with say, walking or moving your body around it can settle in certain places and ache.  A good shoulder massage helps, some Aleve helps and good old walking or excercise. Also, stand in front of a wall, reach your arm out and touch the wall.  Go up and down the wall with your arm touching the wall. It loosens up your shoulder and arm socket.  It will always come back when you are not doing these things.
I read alot of your posts and I am amazed on how many have all the same issues.  Seems everyone has anxiety issues.  I will just say I am bi-polar so panic attacks are a given in my life.  I am not on any type of anti-depressant but anti-convulants (which work extremely well for my illness).

My pains are a daily occurance and seem to be constant.  My shoulder burning/pains are so bad that I can't sleep at night  and to the point where some days that you cant even touch them without me screaming, the chest pains are a constant pain, not a stabbing one.  I should mention they do "occassionally" do go away for a day or two.

I have seen a massage therapist, chiropractor, physiotherapist, you name it and it's not helped in the long run.  I am a semi-active 45 year old woman (I walk and just started to go to bootcamp).  I am a smoker tho.

My dr. doesn't seem to think there is any issues aside from strained muscels.  I don't suffer from shortness of breath or any other issues.

I have looked on alot of sites and still I can't come up with anything.  I honestly don't believe that a constant pain in your shoulders along with a pain in the chest is an anxiety attack, there must be some kind of "syndrome" or something.  

cant believe i googled this and found so many people with the same symptoms as me . ive been suffering for really bad panic attacks for months now and even went to hospital with this heart pain in the left side and the burning and under my shoulder. They just threw valium at me which made my body relax. doctor said through panic and anxiety i had pulled the pulled in my chest but i was funny how valium made it just go away . i only seem to get it when im in a stressful situation and so realised it mild panic straining my poor heart and muscles around it , stupid adrenaline. i realised when i exercise a lot it helps prevent it as it burns off the excess adrenaline. and i suppose to only way to get over the heartache is to get over stress. I know its easier said then done but my plan of action is just change the way i think about things so a situation doesnt become a stressful one as we make it stressful and hence make ourselves anxious. for example you may lose your job but there are others out there , maybe it wasnt right for you in the first place . its training yourself to think positive , which isnt easy and with that reduced anxiety and reduced heart pain. It does work . not for everything for example break ups but you can try to think positive . our minds are trained to think a certain way and if we say positive things enough we can programme less anxiety and hence this pain in the heart be reduced. If we do get the pain just tell yourself it is only stress from stress and does those panic attack breathing exercises which really reduce the pain in your heart , well it helps for me. You need to tell yourself , why is it only when im stressed it some way that i feel this , then obviously its not a heart attack because that would go off when your happy and relaxed and really unstressed as well.

well anyway , all i have BP and my thoughts are all over the place most the time but i hope you get the gist and it helps at least one person.

cheers,
vicky x
I'm 44 and have just experienced the same problems tonight on my left hand side chest.  Feel a lot of gas around chest, armpit, back shoulder blade.  I tried not to let stress bother me but subconsciously my body knows that I am under stress.  Stress can affect digestion system.   I also suspect it has something to do with gallbladder.  I remember a few years ago, I woke up at middle of night with severe chest pain and short of breath.  I thought I was dying and needed to go to emergency room.  My husband suggested me drink some Coca-Cola.  I gradually felt better after drank Coca-Cola  and the pain went away within 30 minutes.  I talked to my co-worker the next day and I had just learned that what I experienced a night before was a gallbladder problem.  Those who have undergone all kind of diagnosis and still could not find any problems.  Maybe this is another direction you want to look into.  
I tried Coca-Cola and it does not work this time.  My friend who is a ballate dancer pointed out to me that my left shoulder tends to leannng forward and my left shoulder blader sticks out when she looks at me from my left side.  She tells me to do this exercise - lift arm straight up then lower it to chest level. I can hear my left arm pop when I lower it to chest level.  I used to take 30 minutes brisk walk with upper body leanning forward and lower arm folded like a runner.  I believe this posture tightened my shoulder muscle and cause gas and pain in my chest, arm pit, and shoulder blader.  Today, I focued on relaxeing my shoulder, unfolding my lower arm.  I lifted my arm when I walked.  By doing that I could not walk as fast as I used to.  After exercise I drove home and didn't experience the pain at all.  The past few days, when I turned my head to watched out traffice during switching lanes, it hurts. Now it's gone.

If you tend to tighten up shoulder while sitting  at your desk, driving a car, jogging...., try to exam your posture.  Do some exercises to counter the tension.

I hope those who has come to this site reporting pain also come back to share what they do to treat the pain.
I have similar symptoms and an appt for an ecg - but looking at sites I found a mention of the trapped or stretched shoulder muscle pain radiating round to the rib and found exercises crossing arms - one holding opposite back of shoulder near spine other on opposite hip then leaning forward for 10 before relaxing weakened the shoulder/chest pain more or less straight away, Could be anxiety for me too and like some other posts have probably poked and prodded chest & breasts in worry to cause more pain.  I think mine could be sleeping always on left side, and sitting badly at computer doesn't help - will see how goes with changing the last two and trying to relax and stretch shoulder muscles. P.S. am left handed.
I'm reading these posts in amazement. I have been having the same pain for a few months now. It is a very nagging dull pain in my left breast and armpit that goes through to the back in my left shoulder blade. It's the most annonying pain ever. I have no idea where to begin to deal with this pain. I am with you crying out for someone to please PLEAE help us figure out what this is.
I have these pains too and finding it very stressfull which i feel doesnt help. I have had them on and off but they seem to be getting worse. I get then in my left side at top of my breast shoulder and under arm pit,i also get alot of pain the same kind under my left rib cage. I also suffer from anxiety and panic attacks which where brought on 5 yrs ago after losing my father suddenly. I am going to go to the doctors to see if it is anything i should e worried aout it is nice to know tho i dont seem to be the only one. I also have a lot of back pain and wonder if it may be linked.
i have the  very same problem as you i am glad im not the only one glad it has put my mindat ease i have just had a mamagram and im scared stiff off the results ? xx
Enough said, but I am have the same problem as well, stress/pain in upper left chest/underarm/breast area.  Currently experiencing it now, so I decided to see if it could be something serious or if there was a way to fix it.  All I have discovered from this forum is that there is no one knows what this is?
Viewing 1-200 comments: