Pap Smear

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Pap Smear

My pap smear came back with abnormal results because of squamous atypia..what does this mean? I have to return in 3 months, I had a baby six months ago and when I was about 7 months pregnant I had a pap smear that came back normal.
Hi KariAnn22,
Squamous atypia often referred to as ASCUS, means it is abnormal cell morphology but of unknown significance. Most of the time this is not an indication of cancer. They usually will test ASCUS samples for human papilloma virus (HPV) to determine if there is any high risk HPV present. So, they will monitor the cervix by another PAP smear to see if it has changed or they may do a colposcopy (which is freeze off or remove) a small amount of tissue on the cervix for a biopsy. In your case the risk is really low that you could have any cervical cancer but it should be followed up in the 3 months that they mentioned.  I wouldn't worry about it too much.
mkh9
Thanks so much, its just weird that I just had a pap and that was normal now this one is not. I will be sure to call my Gyn tomorrow to make an apt.
Hi , well various things can cause the ASCUS, so it may go away on its own. i had a normal PAP and next time I had fibroids. So, things do come up. I would do as you are doing and make the appointment and don't worry too much about it. The large majority are not a problem but they still may or may not remove some tissue for biopsy if it isn't gone or freeze it off. Doctors each have their own way of dealing with things.
take care,
mkh9