Period begins, then stops, resumes 3 days later

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

I'm not sure if this is something that should send me to the doctor.  For the last couple of months, my period begins with bright red blood I find on the toilet tissue, then completely stops for two, three, or even four days, then it begins again with a brownish discharge, then it continues 'normally' for another few days.  My cycles range anywhere from 28 to 38 days.  I am 39 and healthy, not sexually active at this time.  Any thoughts?  Thank you.
Recently, my period started for like 2 days with a typical flow, stops completely (for a day or 2), and then comes back with a brown, gunkish discharge for two or 3 more days.  Mine doesn't go back into a normal flow though.

It seems out bodies are constantly changing, so that could be the culprit.  However, it's always safe to just call in to the doc and see what they think.

HTH!
Thank you very much for the reassurance!
I just posted a situation just like this not long ago. Mine does the same thing. One person told me it would come and be heavy. Boy, was she right.It lasted a full week!! For a few days after the red it was brown and icky. I'm fine now. I think we're normal
I have had irregular periods my entire life and haven't had my period in a little over a year. Last month in November I started having severe cramps and pain "down there" that lasted 3 weeks. At the beginning of December I got my period after having a pelvic ultrasound done. It has been really light. For the past 2 days I've noticed that my period was stopping (brown blood). Yesterday night I went to sleep with little/no brown blood coming from my "area" and this morning I woke up and I am starting to bleed AGAIN (red blood). I am having bad cramps "down there" and my period doesn't seem to be stopping. This cycle of repeating has already happened 2-3 times. And I am really worried and scared. I am going to see my doctor today to hear the results of my ultrasound today and I'll tell her about this issue. Are there any other women out there how have experienced the same thing? I had a severe panic attack last night, so I don't know if I am bleeding again as a result of that. Please help? I am 21 and a virgin.