Period won't stop

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Viewing 201-239 comments:
I think in my daughter's case ( who also has pcos ) and prolonged bleeding ...  her hormones estradiol and progesterone do not rise and fall like they need to to trigger the bleeding and then the stopping of bleeding ... I think they are also to low and out of correct ratio with each  other ...  sadly the only thing that helps her is the bcp because it gives her the optimal levels of estradiol and then when she goes off the active hormone to bleed it causes the drop that triggers the bleeding once you start taking the active estradiol pills again the level of estradiol should rise high enough to stop the bleeding .... we call the bcp a hormone stabilizer because her body will not produce enough on it's own... there are all different kinds of pills and some have a higher estradiol content and ratio to the progestin so if one doesn't work then you may need one eith a better ratio ...  like those taking Yaz may need the higher estradiol level of the older version Yasmin ... I read an excellent book and recommend it to every woman now it's called  It's my ovaries stupid  by  Dr.Vliet M.D.

For those that have PCOS and want support or for those that just want to learn more about it .. I invite you to  join us in Living with PCOS on *******.com

** another common condition severely missed by doctors and cause menstrual issues  is called NCCAH or LOCAH  
Living with PCOS  on  *******
cafemo*
Hi im 15 , my period started when i was 13 in the 7th grade at first i was sort of freaked out. but then i knew wat i had to do, i was  sort of shy about telling my parents or even talking  about the subject because to me its disgusting and i dont like talking about it. anyway my period usually last for about 2- 3 months i dnt really know. but when it stops its like a brown or yellow color and im not completely dry from it. but wen i am on my period sometimes its heavy sometimes it isnt , but i usually have heavy clotts like every day and wen i take a shower. the clots may come out 3-4 times a day ,and somethimes if i either scream, sneeze, cough, or laugh i feel the clot coming out. and i just want this to stop. becuz most ppl i know have there period once or twice a month or even one week per month and i want to be like that. and i dnt know wat to do. but i kno one thing i  havent told anyone i plan to keep it that way , but i just want to know how i can reduce it by either eating certain things or exercising wat ever to make it not last so long
My periods last anywhere from 1 -3 weeks I am on the 3rd week this time around. It started after I missed my period back in April. No my bleeding has been unknown and lasting long periods. I am always sleepy. But I have no insurance anyone know where I can go get checked out with little or no money down as I work part time at Walmart :(
I'm 21 and have so far had my period for 10 weeks. My period started on April 20th, it is now June 25th and the bleeding is only getting stronger. I missed my period in March, so the last period I had before this never-ending period was in February. I suffer from irregular periods, sometimes missing a month. But my periods have NEVER lasted more than 7 days on a bad month... usually it's only 4 days.

I have been extremely hormonal as of late. I described it to my husband the other day as "walking on eggshells within my own body because someone is going to throw an enraged fit at any little thing, and that person is me." I'm to the point where I will cry if I have to restart the dryer because my clothes are damp or scream if my homemade mozzarella sticks explode in the oven. Both examples have happened to me within the last week. I have calmed down a lot within the last three days... but there was a two day stretch where I was an absolute nightmare and I couldn't stop it. I knew I was overreacting but every little thing felt like the end of the world to me. I was just SO ANGRY.  I have been taking iron supplements for the last few days because of the blood loss.

There is no pain associated with my period, though there usually is. When I started I had regular cramps for about three days... then it stopped. Today is my first day with regular cramps again. I am not on birth control. A few years ago I took a birth control pill for one month and it made me bleed for three weeks so I immediately stopped them.  

When I get aroused, the bleeding gets worse, after sex the bleeding is so much worse. It can't be an STD because I have had the same sexual partner for the last five years, and even so, we have always used condoms.

I want to start trying for a baby. Right before this started happening to me, my husband and I agreed to start trying to start a family. I'm scared that a gynecologist will try to put me on birth control... or worse, tell me that I can't have children. I would have gone to the doctor, but we aren’t eligible for health insurance yet. Do you guys think it’s impossible for me to have kids now?

I wonder if any of the women that posted a few years ago have found any answers or have stopped bleeding.
Try Maca root and chaste Berry aka vitex also Shepard's purse will stop bleeding the other two will help balance hormones and regain ovulation. You can find them online or at a natural foods store that sells herb and supplements
I am 24 and I have had so many problems since I was 12 with my period. But for the last 3 months I have had a heavy one and I am starting to feel sick and very tried. I am really scared I have 3 baby boys I have to b able to take care of them. I NEED HELP PLZ!
It hurts so bad to see that your going through this same thing, my name is amanda and ive been married going on six years, i am now 24 and havnt been able to get my period under control since i was 15, but in the last two and a half to three years now( who knows you lose count ) my period never stops, i am dizzy all the time i have to take iron pills i faint, see black spots sometimes its just some red on the paper but other times like today its so bad i fill up a toilet with in an hour every hour i run to the toilet it is that bad, i am now iron deficiant or anemic, i get sick all the time, i even feel that my ammune (immune) system is crashing because of this, i get hot flashes, somtimes i even wonder if this is sending my body into early menopause, some tell me i am crazy but if they had to go through what we go through then it would be a logical explaination being that we dont stop bleeding for nothing, i cant be intimate with my husband anymore , now i fear i will never have a kid!!!! i am so sorry this has happened to us and i will pray for every one of us going through this!!!
Im 17 years old and And My Period Want Go Away It's Been Here For Almost THREE Whole Weeks . I Havent Told My Mom Or Doctor Yet . When Will This Stop ?
I am 12 and I started my period on July 5th ans on July 5 th my parents went to Mexico on a cruise ship and I am hose with my sisters. All I have is a couple more pads out of 18 because I change my pad at least 2 or 3 times a day because my period is really heavy!  I can't even hang out with my friends and the park today because of my period please help email me at ..... ***@****
I just changed my pad 30 minutes ago and it is leaking now! Help me email me at
***@****
Hi just a bit concerned really need a bit of advise I am 29 years old and I have had my period for 12 days now and still counting as I normaly have a period for 3 or 4 days and I have got an implant fitted in about 2 and a half years ago I am feeling really tired all the time I feel sick n I get stomach cramps at the lower part of my stomach and I get back ach and I have been sexualy active with my husband  please can some one help me......
Im 16 and Im on the pill a few months now and my period has been here nonstop for fourteen weeks at the minute its not heavu but its still there and bugging me its been light fior about 3-4 weeks now but ut still wont go away does anyone know how it would stop?
Hi Everyone!
    This sounds too much like me.  I have been bleeding almost everyday for about 11 years straight. I am 30 years old and want to have children and.....I can't, it seems.  I feel so disgusting and very depressed.  I feel bad for my husband because I can't be intimate.  I have been to over 10 doctors and everone keeps saying everything is fine.  How can this be fine?  It sends me over the edge. The only diagnosis I have is PCOS. I've been on everything from Birth control to metformin to Prometrium.  I have hormonal issues that are so embarrassing and i feel ashamed.  I have also tried the natural approach by doing low carb and taking chastaberry vitex.  The low carb helped me lose 60 lbs.  It seems like the chastaberry didn't work.  Also, this can't be a weight issue because I had this when I was extremely skinny and extremely heavy.  Now, I am just slightly overweight.  I'm starting to believe it is all the chemicals.  I eat very well( low GI, low carb) and very minimally processed foods on occasion. All I know is that I find great relief knowing there are others out there suffering from this horrible condition because there are days I feel so alone.  I will keep posting.  Thanks to everyone that read this post....Maybe one day we all will get answers.
hi every one !!

wann share my problem with u ; i am a married female ( 2yr 6 mts of Marrige)
from last 3 mth i have regular on and off flow  with clottes some times heavy to I am 32 years old and want to have children and.....I can't, it seems.  I feel so disgusting and very depressed.  I feel bad for my husband because I can't be intimate. am also a  thyroid

if can one can help will be g8
Hi, It is a horrible problem.  Sometimes i can't even function properly.  i am always tired and feel sick most of the time.  Yesterday, I just sat around and cried wondering why this is happening to me. I can understand your pain.  I guess we just have to hang in there and help God provides us with strength to get through this.  The best thing right now is just eating a healthy Low carb diet and exercising.  Also, Metformin and Vitex together.  Not too much we can do if doctors aren't helping....UgHHH!!!  Well, hold your head up high.  I guess it can be worse.  Take care!
Hi I'm 30yrs old. I have an irregular menstration. I haven't had my period for 4 months already. So I decided to use a pill again.  I did have my period, ok BUT the bleeding won't stop anymore. It"s kinda heavy bleeding.

My doctor before adviced me to take some pills to make my period regular. So I followed his advice and it works if I am on pills. If Im not, another 3mos. or so w/o period - if I got my period...it wont stop for months... :(((
I was feeling the same way! I was bleeding for days one end and it would so bad, I thoght Iwas going to die from bleeding so much! I did not want to go to the doc's because I thought I had cancer. I waited and waided. Then I thought I am just lossing way to much bleed and had to go to the ER. At the end of everything and biopsy/ultrasound. It was not cancer at all! It was just my going through premenopause. Thank God! I did mysefe no good guessingwhat I had, just made me terrified and thinkg the worst. So please just go get checked out, I bet it's nothing bad at all:) Good luck and now go see that doc!
i started using contraceptive pill on the 5th day of my menstration instead of the 1st. on there are 21 pills on the 16th pill i started to have light menstration. i decided to continue with another type of pill without giving the 7 days gap because im was going on vacation and i dont want to have it. at the start of my 2nd pack of pills it my period stop for two days unfortunately even if i was thaking the 2nd pack of pill i was still bleading lightly i was bleeding for more than a week then it became heavy still continueing the 2nd pack after that it became heavy period now im bleeding more than two weeks now i stop taking the pills for 2days still bleeding continues what should i do? whats the explanation behind this? how can i stop the bleeding?
i took overal l for 4 days to avoid periods after stopping taking it now its been 7 days my period has not come yet when my periods will start again
i have the same problem but its been eight months and im still bleeding. dr said she may do possible hysterectomy
id love to find more women who have this prob and find a cure. im always tired and feeling weak
I started the depo shot and had my period the entire 3 months. I stopped the shot and my periods still won't stop
I HAD THE SAME PROBLEMS YOU ALL HAD FOR 10+ YEARS.  I would bleed for 30 or 40 days straight.  Couldn't get it to stop, month after month.  Might finally stop for a week or two - then 30 to 40 more days of bleeding :(

I am currently cured, naturally!  If you want to call the practitioner that helped me :

Emily Glasser
(619) 405-0937
I know how you feel JMEEE. I am 41 and have had period problems since I first started my period at 13. In my late 20's, my period expanded to 14 days (as if 7 days isn't bad enough!), then in my thirties, it went to 3 weeks of bleeding a month. Now I haven't had a day with out bleeding in over 6 months, the clots are huge. I am always tired and occassionally hot flashes. I read it could be perimenopause, but I don't think so, since this whole mess has been going on since my 20's. Not to mention what this has done to my sex life. I've been tested on my thyroids, cancers, etc. (name it and I've probably been tested). My doctors (and there have been several different ones, in different states) just basically shrug their shoulders and say live with it. BC doesn't help me at all. I've resorted to trying yarrow root because I read that can help stop bleeding, but trying to give it time to kick in. From all I've read, doctors don't really care about women in our position since it isn't "life threatening", but I would love to live a normal life again!
I have read your comment thoroughly and I feel true sympathy for what you are feeling. So I took it upon myself to do a little research for you, hoping you would not mind.

Upon going on WebMd and typing in symptoms you have posted about and mentioned, the diagnosis I keep coming to is Dysfuctional Uterine Bleeding. I highly recommend getting this looked into.
Information at: http://women.webmd.com/tc/dysfunctional-uterine-bleeding-cause

Also, I am not certain if you have done any research into endomitriosis, but it sounds similar to the issue you are having. My aunt suffered from it, as I began to show signs of it at a very young age.
It can prove to be very serious. My aunt had to have her ovaries and uterus removed after finally having a child, and still in the end passed away from the excessive constant vaginal bleeding the disorder caused. PLEASE go to your doctor, do all the tests you can, and see how you feel. Don't be polite about it. This is about YOUR life, not their paychecks. Period.

Also, see if your period lightens when you swim, or if you drink a full cup of lemon juice 3 times a day minimum for a few days straight. That ALWAYS stops mine, even if only or a day or half day.

Resources for endomitriosis:
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/endometriosis/DS00289/DSECTION=symptoms

http://www.womenshealth.gov/publications/our-publications/fact-sheet/endometriosis.cfm

http://women.webmd.com/endometriosis/default.htm

You are not alone! Best of luck to you and I hope this provides some insight into your situation and possible remedies.
Do you think if it is endometriosis that the doctors wouldn't have found it if they did a whole lot of tests? (I'm curious as I've had numerous doctors shrug their shoulders at me). I was reading Dani's comments too and wonder if she (or you) have pains that seem low in your pelvic area? I get these sometimes too. Would this also be a symptom?

On the up side, the yarrow root pills I've been taking twice a day seem to be helping. (Yeah!) I've actually gone two whole days without bleeding. Keeping my fingers crossed.
im 14 and ive had my period for about 4 weeks . sometimes ill stop bleeding as if im done but then it comes back and i dont know what it is and  im kinda scared someone help ? :(
I am 26 and i jus had a baby my period wasn't right since they say i have a tumor on my right ovary but tha doctor won't do anything about i bleed fo three weeks at a time go off fo two days n come back on this been going on fo almost two yrs my doctor say tha tumor is 3cm is dat to big help somebody...
Wow... so I feel a little less alone at least.

It's October, almost November, and my period has been going on I think since March. I've had a total of maybe a week and a half of days without any bleeding at all, though not consecutive. The longest stretch was a two and a half stint of nothing, blissful nothing. It's been on and off heavy with lots of clotting. I want to have children, but I can't even have sex like this. Like other women here I've tried that to see what would happen on a light day only to find myself in worse straights the next morning, once even to the point of having to stay home all day in order to control the flow well enough to not have it all over my clothing. I thought it might be something in my diet and so changed a few things. I thought for a minute that taking out cheese would help since I read somewhere that eating cheeses keeps the body from absorbing iron. Sadly it hasn't been consistent enough to be the solution. Please someone contact me. I'm broke with no way to see a proper doctor and scared for my very life to be honest. This isn't normal.
Steffy, I understand your pain. I've been trying a yarrow root supplement and it seems to help a little. Last month I got five whole days without bleeding which is pretty much a record for me. So I keep taking them in the hopes that things will improve more after my "regular" period time. We'll see.
Your 21 I'm 13 and I've had my period forever and it ***** my nose get stuffed up and I bleed alot but no biggy by boobs are really small and everything else but idk why I've had my period for about 6 months but nothing has changed idk why
Hi my name is Jamie I'm very concerned bout me having my period for almost 9 months I'm very scared what should I do
I just had blood test and sonogram and internal sonogram yesterday all came back they can't find what is wrong with me... I have always been regular since the age of 14, now at 45 get my period June 6 and it just won't stop.. Got pills last Friday take days doesn't stop get them refilled... Have had enough now is ruining my summer can't wear tampons past 20 minutes... Have really bad cramps up the left side of my stomach, almost like a pulsating feeling... Have you got relief yet?
OMG, I feel you were me for a moment and that I wrote that. Contact me please :(

Last year i started using the concetrapting pills and i use to bleed non stop and started to loose weight n my skin colour changed without consulting a doctor i stopped using them and the bleeding stopped as well....and now m back on concetraptives.am using the 2months injection and the irregular bleeding has started again and now i dont know wat to do......what could actually be the cause?
i know how u feel , baby girl, but all u can do is tell your mother and let her start to take u to the doctor.. there r a lot of us out here with this problem and it *****, we learn to deal with it until they find  cure.. there r pills out there to help, but u have to test so many.. its worth a try though.
I got the depo shot last December. Worked great until February when I got the next shot. Then it was bleeding non stop for four months until the end of June!! Naturally I chose not to get another one, but since end of June I haven't had a period until over a week ago but now am really concerned because the bleeding is bright red and non stop no clotting and it seems so abnormal. I go to the bathroom there is blood in the toilet. I am uncertain if this is a cause of the shot failure or not and I've seen doctors they keep saying you are fine blah blah. I'm actually really scared. it seems as if I am losing way too much blood. I don't feel dizzy or sick at all just servere cramping and bleeding. Any advice would be greatly appreciated here.
i am 19 and had this problem for over a year now constant bleeding 24/7 dont know what to do...had an ultrasound and every other scan going...been on implant had that removed, the depo and its still the same bleeding day in day out and its ruining my life... dont know what to do..
Hello i am 24 years of age and i have been on my period for atleast 2 weeks. i am very tired of bleeding. i got to the doctors friday morning. something has got to give. i am having severe cramping,headaches, and lower back pain. i always had a problem with my cycles. it was heavy now it seems like its just lingering now. My husband is very worried about this. my doctor doesnt have a clue what is going on so im going back to my obgyn and see if i can get a referral to go a specialist or something...
i been on my period since june 2nd, 2013 and its now october 29th, 2013. its not heavy and its not really light either. i stay so mad because it want go away im 21 years old and i cramp most of the time. i stay crying because it just want go away. someone please help me i am so confused on this mess my family said well its better than you being pregnant and its like they aint concerned about how many days weeks or months i have been bleeding. i feel so hurt with no answers or help so if yall can help me that would be great
I'm 17   Iv had regular periods till this Month I started two days before my time which isn't normal for me then I got off 5 days later then 3 days later I was on a again for a couple days then off 2 days later it's back again this time it's bad and is making me feel weird? I'm scared and do not know what's going on? Any suggestions
I  have also  been " bleeding"  more like oozing  pitch  black blood  for over a month and I can't find  anything  about something similar  to this on the internet, I'm 17  and have  been on birth  control a while but this only started  a  little longer  than a  month ago, I  don't know what to do!
Well hi iam 17 and I got on the depo it seen like my whole world mess up my period would olay trick come on this 3 months not come this 3 months it was frighten I tell u one time it wasn't on and a masturbate and I bleed like a regular period for 5 day straight then it stop...and next 5 days come on again..I recently just got off the depo and ik my period will be more heavy until it get back normal..iam just asking can anybody help me..charleston mississippi health department they tell me iam fine ..but I really think something is wrong with my body
My name is Jacob. I'm writing this because my wife never would. My wife like many of you has a period that won't stop. In fact before she decided to actually take it serious she almost died from blood loss. The scariest day of my life because I had no clue she had been bleeding like she had. We have now been living with this problem for almost 4 yrs. She has done everything the doctor has suggested to no avail. And with all the tests the doctors have done none have been able to give us a reason as to why it is happening or why it won't stop.I did learn of a few home remedies from you ladies that I'm going to have her try. Thank you! But my main reason for writing is I think someone should try contacting an administrator for medhelp or webmd or both and see if they could get a petition or a poll going to help bring this issue to the attention of someone who will take these concerns seriously. Because like many of you have stated our local doctors act like your a woman you bleed from your vagina get used to it! I seriously think this issue is larger than anyone wants to admit and if there was a petition or a poll that showed the number of women suffering from this nationally or even globally they would be more inclined to investigate. I think they aren't as concerned now because nobody is dying from it,
I am 19 years old. I am on the pill and my periods have always been normal, at the end of January I had my period 7day break as normal, apart from it didn't stop, it was very light spotting per day not even enough for a light tampon.  So I carried on taking my pill and I went to the clinic to get swabbed. I had a swollen cervix but everything came back negative. So I took some antibiotics for that and I was fine for about 6 days. I thought I was finally getting back to normal, when I went to my local Asda and I felt myself bleeding so I ran to the toilet and I had very dark brown like the end of a period grouping out of me and it wouldn't stop. Or ant he emergency doctor and they just said its an early period, so I left it the next day my stomach was I. Agony just like a period pain, except I never get period pains, I was also really heavy and had lots of blood clots I would go through two maybe three super tampons in an hour and a half. So I went back to the doctor and they have given me a new contraceptive pill, I started taking it after my seven day break on Sunday and I am still bleeding, I feel like my life is just based around me being on, it's affecting my llove life and also my life in general I'm never happy anymore :( please someone help me! :(:(
I have this too. I am actually scarred. I got my very first period ever in November, and it has only stopped bleeding twice for at the most 4 days. Even within those 4 days I need to wear tampons or pads because I never am completely dry. I haven't told anyone and I don't plan on it. I need help!
I am 43 years old and I have been experiencing on/off menstrual bleeding that is constant - flooding, spotting, pink discharges, clots of all sizes from a small dot to the size of a golf ball.  Constant bloating of abdomen, ankles, hands, forearms, etc.  I've been documenting my menstrual cycle since Sept 2013 on a daily basis - and had only minimal relief for a week or so at a time.  I think 'oh finally it's done' and then within a week it's back with a vengeance.  I am scared to leave the house some days - for fear that I'll flood my office space.  There are times that it is so heavy and profuse, I am changing my super tampon and super pad every 40 minutes.  I have doubled up my iron on days like this - as it helps alleviate dizziness and signs of anemia.  My GP seemed to think this was 'normal' and last October I told him I need a GYN appointment - I will finally be in to see the GYN in JUNE this summer!  Nice of the healthcare system to take me seriously.  I have phoned the GP several times in the meantime and the office doesn't think this is a large concern?  This is a VERY large concern for me!  It has ruined the 3 year relationship I was in - as the man I was involved with didn't understand or care enough to wait out my diagnosis.  I am now afraid it may ruin my employment - as I am mortified at having to sit down with my male boss and try to explain why I am not myself for a half year now!  I tried going into the clinics and got brushed off.  Why won't someone help me?  I know from months of online reading and research that I have a very large problem here.  I am terrified of having to underdo a hysterectomy - due to finances being tight, being a single mum and having little to no job support for that sort of time away.  Please help - is there nothing I can do with herbs or vitamins or something?

I have tried B100 Complex.
Vit C
Vit D - up to 10,000iu per day!
Shepherd's Purse
Cinnamon
Oil of Oregano
Ibuprofin
Cayenne Pepper mixed in hot water
Turmeric mixed in hot water
Pineapple juice/lemon juice concoctions

Each remedy found online - I tried for one full week to see if there was any noteable difference.  The only thing that moderately helped was the Shepherd's Purse tincture - but at best, it was holding back the blood flow.  The day after I stopped taking it - I flooded like I hadn't had a period of a year.  It is ridiculous.  

Am at the point of taking a coat hanger to my own uterus and yanking all the plumbing out.
Viewing 201-239 comments: