Periods during pill

A community for people with Women's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Periods during pill

Hey there!
I've got a question about periods during the time that a woman's on a birth control pill.
Basically, I'm 19 and I've started using the pill on the first day of my period on 14 December.  Obviously, my doctor said that my period should come exactly the month after that, only that I next got my period on the 9 of January... it lasted only 5 days tops.  So I decided to give it another month,  maybe it would come on time..no: just last night  I had brown blood, as if I' was spotting (not quite sure what that means since that has NEVER happened to me before!) and I continue to bleed (brown blood) till now.
I'm wondering if I should be worried about anything..I'm not sure if I'm really on my period now...maybe it will come next week..I have not missed a single pill, in fact I've been very punctual for these past almost 2 months! Girls, help :S

Thanks a bunch!
Avatar n tn
You don't always have a bleed exactly a month after you start taking the pill.  It will take a little bit of time for your body to settle down with the hormone regime that your pill is.

The spotting that you are having could be breakthrough bleeding?  What sort of pill are you on?  Is it triphasic (3 different levels of hormones), biphasic (two different levels of hormones during the month) or monophasic (each pill contains the same level of hormones)?

You may need to change your pill.
Well, it's called Qlaira. As from what I've read this is what it contains: Qlaira (estradiol valerate/dienogest) is an oral contraceptive with four sequential phases comprising differing levels of the oestrogen, estradiol valerate, and the progestogen, dienogest, in a oestrogen step-down and progestogen step-up regimen.
It's strange..because physically, I feel like I'm on my period... you know that feeling that you have in your tummy etc..
Avatar n tn
This is at least a triphasic (probably a quadphasic) pill.  It may be that the levels of hormones just aren't working for you.

You may be better off on a monophasic pill.

Based on this extra info you can either leave it for another month and see if you adjust or go back to your doctor and get a different type of pill.
KTowne So I guess we will not be g... Comment
AnnieBrooke busy, busy, busy Comment
AnnieBrooke commented on Cindy's status
Menstrual Tracker
Track your cycles
Reach your weight goals