Pregnant with IUD??

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Pregnant with IUD??

I have had the IUD for 7 months now. When I first got it I had some heavy bleeding, but that soon subsided. Normally I get like a 3 day light period..However, I have not had a period in 2 months now. I know it's normal for some people with an IUD to stop menstrating all togeather, until IUD is out...Should I be worried about pregnancy?? What's my chances??Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated.
It can and has happened! Take a hpt because the IUD will have to be removed in the case of pregnancy
Take a test to be sure but it is not unheard of to stop having periods while using an IUD.

Andi
I know it is possible..I just have read that the IUD is the most effective form of Birth Control. I am so scared. I love my Daughter, but she just turned 1, and I am not ready to have another baby at this point in time. I know I need to just go take a HPT. Thanks for the advice everyone.
i am pregnant with an IUD still in and I was a month and a half late and turned up that I was pregnant take a test.  I have had my IUD for 7 years it is a 10 year Paragard and I still got pregnant
Have you had your IUD checked at least once a year?  They suggest it on most websites and to self check the fibers yourself.  If you poke around online there is a ton of information on this.  I have spent the last few days reading and researching prior to my insertion.  Anyone not like?  Opinions?  I am pretty sure this is my route as I have had my period half the year, irregularly, since having my daughter!  I have tried every pill, the ring, and this is my last option since shots are out of the question!  
I just had a baby boy 9 mos ago I got the IUD put in and now I am so sick I am tired and I took a test it came back neg. What are the chances of me having a baby
hi iam jean from mississippi i have had the iud for 7 months now my periods stopped in october and i have the pain in my lower right side and i feel exhausted all the time if i am pregnant what are the odds of the baby being connected to the iud if it is pulled out iam scared does anyone have a comment or advice on what i should do
I have read every post and have yet to see a "yes" or "no" answer to the following question:

Has anyone with a Mirena IUD taken a pregnancy test and gotten a FALSE POSITIVE?

Confession/Background:
I am a 39 year old divorced father of two that was involved in a relationship with a woman for the past 2 years. We mutually agreed to end our relationship a month ago - she had a Mirena implanted 6 months ago.  I just got off the phone and was advised that she had a positive indication on a HPT.  She mentioned that it could be "ectopic."

Will an ECTOPIC pregnancy give a FALSE POSITIVE on an HPT?
An ectopic pregnancy is the most likely pregnancy outcome if an IUD is in place. I have never heard of ectopic pregnancies giving a false positive on an HPT, however, it is known that they can give a FALSE NEGATIVE. HCG levels are lower in ectopic pregnancies than in normal ones with the baby growing inside the uterus.

To everyone else:

If you missed a period you normall have & are concerned you are pregnant, take a HPT. If it is negative & you are still having pregnancy symptoms, go see your doctor because you could have an ectopic pregnancy. These are very dangerous and need to be taken care of immediately! Your life can be at risk if it ruptures. Many people also feel movements and such in their lower abdomen that may feel as if a baby is moving around. You would have to generally be pretty far along in a normal pregnancy to feel this. However, some people can feel the baby kicking early. Women who have had babies before, are usually able to feel a baby's kick sooner than first-time moms. They are also able to tell the difference between gas and a baby's movement. Thin women also feel a baby's movement sooner than heavier women. It is common for women to stop having their periods after a little while on the Mirena IUD, especially if you had light periods prior to having  the IUD. I have had my Mirena in for 14 months. I had it inserted after the birth of my second child. My periods started to come every other month, and now they have stopped completely.
I don't have a mirena, but a Nova-T copper IUD.  Went on the 18th for a 6 month pap test after my Leep procedure I had done in August.  I told the dr I never had a period since the end of December, but spotted in the beginning of February, light pinky red to brown, but very little for four days off nad on. Since I had my IUD placed, my periods have come every 4-6weeks and very heavy, so this was not normal. She said it is impossible, and the strings are there.  She mistaken my stirngs for a Mirena, since it looked the same(I have a differnt IUD placed in Canada), and she has never seen the kind I have.  The in office urine test came out negative, but I am suffering from sore breasts, tiredness, and eating a lot more.  My breast look and feel bigger when I look in the mirror also.  My IUD has no hormones to blame any of the above on, so I am very confused myself.  I will keep you posted on what happens to me.  And for anyone, is it possible the urine test was done too early, being why it showed up negative when the doctor did my urine test?  She said see you in 6 months for another repap, and looked at me crazy when I was asking her if I should return if my period does not come.  She said I can if I want, but no need I have an IUD and the strings are in the right spot. This is starting to become too frusterating.
I have had my Mirena IUD in for over a year I stopped having a period about 2 months after I got my IUD. but now I am currently having Pink CM when i wipe and i had light spotting for a day.Is this implantation bleeding?? I am wondering what the odds are that I could be pregnant? Any advice or thoughts would help.
I don't have a Mirena, but I had spotting for four days with mine the beginning of last month.  I will do a pregnancy urine test tomorrow morning and post what happens to me.  I know with the Mirena it is possible to miss periods and to have spotting the odd time, but am uncertain to the chances of getting pregnant.  I ask the same questions and see on this site called Inspire, it is quite possible from the feedback I have gotten, even with your type of IUD.  Good luck and God bless! :-)
I had my son last February ..I got pregnant on birth control that i had been on for 5 years. after i had my son,  I went on nuva ring but that wasn't working for me. so my ob put me on mirena! I was so relieved that i didnt have to worry about taking a pill at the same time every day. but now in the past few months, i have been feeling sick, nautious, eating funny. one day i will be craving certain things and the next no appetite.. i have been so tired, just like i was when i was pregnant with my son. my breasts have been so sore and i have been cramping alot.. I dont know what is going on. my fiance just keeps telling me that it is not possible, and we fight alot. constantly.. i keep telling him that i am feeling the same as i did.. i just dont know.. Please please help me.
I've had my IUD for almost 4 years and this year is the first time I've spotted and had pinkish blood and I took a HPT and it came up neg so I went to this place called Cope( save a life) I did 2 PT  and they came back neg. and the lady told me to go get my blood drawn so that I WOULD KNOW FOR SURE.. She also said that I could be 13 weeks pregant. I believe that I am I've been tired have mild nasaua and very emotional and stressed out31. I have an Doctor appt. on Tuesday April 13th,and I will let u guys know the results.. Is this true?
I went to the mirena website. About 5% of Mirena users will experience symptoms similar to pregnancy, including:
Vaginal discharge
Breast pain or tenderness
Nausea
Nervousness
Back pain
Weight increase
Feeling bloated
Swelling of hands and feet
You need not worry if you experience these symptoms, as I have some of these myself. Check with your health care provider if you have a serious concern about being pregnant, and if you think you may be pregnant on mirena - stop looking online and get a test. If it is negative, take it a week later.

I am 5-6 weeks pregnant with a mirena coil in place. the pregnancy is in my womb and so far, develpoing normally. do not hesitate, do a test. you will need to be tested for ectopic pregnancy and you will need your mirena removing. it is possible. good luck.
I had my son Jan 1 2010 and got the Mirena IUD put in place Feb 2010. Ive spotted litely everyday since and felt pretty much normal. For the past 2 weeks Ive been getting dizzy, light headed, headaches, cramping, nausious after I eat and im very tired. And to top it off the bleeding went from lite red to dark in the last day. This morning I took a pregnancy test and it was negative but Im not feeling normal anymore but like I did when I was pregnant. My breast feel heavier but I cant really go by that cause Im breastfeeding my almost 5 mon old son. Please if anyone is feelin the same way and has any advice...dont hesitate to write me back!
I have had my Mirena IUD for 14 months and for the past 4 to 6 i have been having very bad uterin pain every day it feels as if i have a knife stabbing me... also it just started hurting really bad when i am intimate with my boyfriend but every doctor i talk to her tells me its nothing. i went and got my iud checked and it took the doctor 5 min to find it. she said the strings are very very very short. it is possible for the iud to move up further into the uterin? what should i do im stuck. and tired of hurting every day
i had my iud for about a year and a half ...i havent had a period in a little over a year...now all of a sudden im starting to bleed again...but not heavy...what does that mean or a sign of
Hi, I was reading the form looking for other women who have become pregnant on the IUD.
MY STORY: After my daughter was born 2 1/2 years ago my husband and I decided for me to have a 5 year mirena inserted. It has worked fine and I always preached it up. Lately, I was having all the s&s of preg, so i took a hpt. It was positive. I went to emerg, hey did a urine and it was positive. They drew blood it was positive. The did an internal ultrasound and found that I was pregnant and that the mirena was still perfectly in place. The OB removed it but told me I may miscarry. I was wondering how your pregnancy is going?
Thank you.
Hi . I HAVE HAD THE MIRENA IUD FOR 8 MONTHS . I GOT IT RIGHT AFTER I HAD MY LAST DAUGHTER WHO IS 9 MTHS OLD .TWO DAYS AGO I LOOKED IN THE MIRROR AND TOLD MYSELF WOW I LOOK PREGNANT (NOT WEIGHT GAIN JUST BELLY REALLY SHAPING ) THE NEXT DAY MY HUSBAND CAME HOME FROME WORK I WAS WEARING A DRESS HE SAID WHATS GOING ON IN THEIR ARE YOU PREGNANT ! OH MY I SAID I JUST SAID THE SAME THING TO MY SELF . SO I TOOK HPT AND IT IS POSITIVE AS CAN BE .IT IS VERY POSSIBLY TO GET PREGNANT ON THE IUD NO BIRTHCONTROL IS 100 PERCENT . I AM A VERY VERY FERTILE PERSON HOWEVER . I HAVE THREE KIDS THE LAST TWO WERE BACK TO BACK . THATS WHY I CHOSE THEMIRENA . WELL I GUESS I WILL GO TELL MY HUSBAND .
im 21 and i have 2 kids i got the iud about 8 mon ago and im scared because i have been tired, im pale, im going to the bathroom like every 30 min just like i was when i was pg with my 2 kids could i be pg? what sould i do? help plz
i got the mirena in either march or april after having my son in jan. ive only had one period and that was 2 weeks before gettin the mirena since then ive had no bleeding not even after insertion but in the past month or so ive had kind of like a fluttery feeling below my bellybutton on the left side i took an hpt an it was negative ive also had dreams about beings pregnant again has anyone had the same symptoms?
I had my COPPER IUD put in 2 years ago, and we're currently 26 weeks pregnant with no complications. When we removed the IUD, my doctor couldn't believe it was perfectly in place and there we were, pregnant.
Like someone before me said, no birth control is 100%
I have had my IUD for nearly a year now. No children just wanted the best form of birth control I could get.  I stopped having a "period" 3 months after getting the IUD placed.  Last month I had some very very minimal spotting but I became very fatigued, nauseas, my vaginal odor changed from non existent to a noticeable smell, not bad just different and my breast are swollen, tender and have grown about half a cup size.  I'm scared to take a test, what are the chances I could be pregnant?  Has this happened to anyone that also has Mirena? HELP!
I've been on mirena for almost 1 year now.. I have been having servere pains in my lower left abdominal side.. I have never had a child before so I don't know all the symptoms but after reading all of these I am scared bcuz I've been very nauseas lately, super tired during the day.. I thought I was jst tired from changing time zones again.. This isn't the first time all these came to me.. But I figured I'd look it up.. I took a pregnancy test the last time I had these symptoms which was in june.. & it was negative.. Someone please give me advice ?? :(
I HAVE MIRENA FOR ABOUT 20 MONTHS. ABOUT A MONTH AND A HALF AGO I STARTED GETTING REALLY DIZZY. NOW I FEEL FATIGUE, AFTER I EAT I HAVE TO RUSH TO THE REST ROOM, I GREW A CUP SIZE,  NAUSIOUS, I GET SO MUCH BABY BURPS IN A DAY, I FELL A METALLIC TASTE IN MY MOUTH. MY BELLY LOOKS ROUND, BACK PAIN, AM HUNGRY EVERY MINUTE. I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO THINK. MY FEET HAS SWOLLEN.I FEEL THE COMPLETELY OPPOSITE OF WHEN I WAS PREGNANT WITH MY 21 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER. CAN U GUYS HELP UNDERSTAND THESE FEELINGS.
I have had my mirena for almost two years now my husband and I weren't planning on having anymore children for 3 or 4 years. I have not had a "real" period since getting it and last month I had a period then I was off of my period for a week and began spotting and now I have been spotting off and on for about two months. Also I am crying over every little thing that happens. I took two pregnancy tests and they both were negative. I am thinking I may be pregnant is this possible?
I had my mirena inserted 02/2009. So far so good, I have had little to no periods or spotting and recently I started to feel movements in my belly as if I am pregnant. I took 3 HcG test and they all came back wit negative results. So after googling a couple things I decided to get my Mirena strings checked and to have a blood hcg test done. I still feel these movements that are so familiar from my previous pregnancies. They are mainly in the lower part of my tummy. Well today I called the Nurse for lab results and they came back negative also. So 3urine test and blood test later I currently still feel like I'm pregnant. Its very irritating b/c do I take the facts as they are and move on? But what if all the test where done too early? Is that even possible? To feel kicks and not have enough hormones to show on a test? Any advise?
I had a IUD placed in a couple of months after my third child was conceived and now she's four of age. I have been having pregnant symptoms. I feel movements all the time in my belly like now I can feel it with my hand! I went to the doctor before about it and they told me that it was muscles but I don't think this should continue everyday. My stomach keeps tightening up causing mt back to hurt. I am really scared.
I had my Paragard IUD put in Sept of 2010 after my husband and I had our daughter. On Aug 17,,2011 I went to my family doctor and was told I am pregnant. I went to an OB and was advised that I am 28 weeks pregnant. I had no symptoms that I was pregnant. I can tell you that the Mirena and Paragard IUD are only 94.0% effective with normal use during the first year .6% of women during the first year will and can get pregnant. My advice is to read up on any form of birth control and ask the doctor many questions about IUD usage. I had mine put in at a local planned parenthood here in Texas.
did you find out you were pregnant by hpt or bloods at drs office?

i'm having the same thing now, went to drs yesterday and had beta blood test done. hopefully find out later today. only had symptoms last 3/4 wks, my belly is doing the same (no real weight gain just shaping) boobs growing (finally) i'm 27 and not blessed in that area lol and had mirena 12mths now with everything fine until recently.
partner and i chose mirena as he's extremely fertile and i catch easy, caught on pill but mc this time 2yrs ago. what ever the outcome if it is meant to be, it is meant to be.
where did you see the information that states both mirena and paraguard are less effective in the first 12mths?
sounds like an interesting read....
if you are not convinced by the outcome of the hpt result you should consult your dr. if your body is acting differently to normal (and only you will know what normal is for you) you should seek medical attention to rule out anything.
you will do more harm than good to drive yourselves loopy stressing about something that may be nothing at all. i know what the mirena is like as i have one myself and only the past 3/4 wks things have been different that is why i saw my dr yesterday am. leave the guess work to the professionals.
I am an epileptic, so I have either the choice of deprovera injection or mirena coils.

The mirena like any contraceptive is 85 or 90 percent serves as protection against pregnancy.

We take a chance at whatever we use. I had a negative test on the mirena a few months ago. Today I am going again.
There absolutely is no such thing as a false positve when it comes to pregnancy tests.  False negatives happen because the HCG hormone is not strong enough yet to be picked up.  A positive means HCG is detected which means pregnant.  Even eptopic pregnancy is still a pregnancy~although not a viable one.
I have had my IUD for nearly 3 years I had it implanted 6 weeks after my son was born. But I recently found myself eating odd foods and the most concerning craving pickle juice. I have also gained some weight and I am a very small girl the most I have weighed was 138 and that was just before delivering my son. I also have alot of other symptoms of pregnancy. I took a hpt and it was neg but what exactly are the dangers of being pregnant with an IUD? And also what are my chances? Me and my boyfriend haven't taken any other precautions other then my IUD and I know he would like another child but I also don't wan to get his hopes up if it won't be promising with the IUD still in.
I am 18 wks pregnant and i had the mirena iud put in a year previous to my pregnancy. The iud is still in and they are unable hto remove it. Which if you've done your homework happens to 2/1000 women. I've had major bleeding for the last month. I lost so.much blood on the weekend that i was sitting down and would get light headed and see stars. Now im weak tired and am having trouble eating. I am also anemic so now i am taking 2-300 mg tabs of iron a day and this us not helping....the drs have no answers for me and can't tell me where the blood is coming from (me or the baby) if anyone has any info plz help
Hi there I have had a lot of pregnancy symptoms for a while now. My boyfriend now thinks I look like I am carrying a child in my belly. I have not gotten a period when I am suppose to and I feel really pregnant. I even have dreams I am pregnant. I have taken 3 tests a few months back and nothing showed up, I had my daughter in june of 2013 and mirena put in august 2013, it is now middle December of 2013 and I think I may be pregnant. I m going to take a test. I am worried as I do not have insurance. What if I am pregnant but it didn't show on a hpt? What are the odds of a pregnancy going regularly if the mirena is still in place, etc?
i am having a period but still feel like i am pregnant. i am tired always have to pee i cant sleep i am an emotional roller coaster. i am having severe back pain and abdominal pain. any advice?