Pubic hair area itching horribly
This is so embarassing...for the past 6 months I have had severe itching right at the bottom of my pubic hair, my vagina does not itch only the hair above my vagina... I went to the Dr. she found nothing and made me an appointment with a dermatologist..yeah right like I was going to a dermatologist for this embarrassing problem. It went away for a bout a week and reappeared.. I am a profuse sweater and sweet down there a lot.  I bought all cotton panties, feminine wipes, tons of creams over the counter... The area gets so dry and scaly, the itch is almost umbarrable sometimes.  Can females get jock itch? I bought some jock itch medication and have been using it for a bout 3 days...seems to be helping but, will it? 6 months seems too long for this to be going on..I do not have a urinary tract infection, no std's, Gosh I need help...my regular doctor has not been much help at all.  It seems to get worse when I sweat or get really hot..Please if anyone else knows what this could be or has had the problem themselves please let me know..
Other than the herpes comments and obvious solutions, I'm so happy i found this! for those of you that have the non-sore, non-visible mystery itch I am with you! I've had it for only a few weeks but was getting seriously worried!! what worked for you?

- in a long-term commitment :s
Oh, thank you for this site, I thought I was going insane.  I've had this for weeks and weeks, horrible itching that won't let me fall asleep.  Nothing helps, not washing more, not changing clothes ... I was too embarrassed to ask anyone or talk about it, thank you  for this site.  Why is this so common and nobody knows what it really is?  This is horrible!  I've never even heard of this one before, and I've heard of so many different problems, this was new to me and I've been really stressed trying to figure this out.
Thank you to everyone who has posted possible remedies to try!
A gynaecologist and a dermatologist specialising in this sort of problem have posted a self help treatment regimen. Find it here
http://www.mydr.com.au/womens-health/vulval-problems-a-self-help-guide

OMG, I am not alone!?!? I am 38 years old and have been dealing with this for the past 2 years. It is miserably embarrassing. I noticed someone else above pointed out that hers began when she moved to a more humid area, that is exactly how it happened with me. Moving from the west coast, to the southern east coast ... This problem now persists, mostly in the warm weather. Sometimes it's so bad, I scratch myself raw. I have tried antibacterial soap and anti itch creams, they don't seem to help much. Sleeping with a pillow tucked between my legs at night does relieve a lot of the itching sensation though.
like all of you I thought I was the only one  for about 8 years it comes and goes    now i am having itching all over my head  no dandruff or spots  just itch   also i wake at night and back itches   i feel like itchy everywhere sometimes   i love that i found this sight im going to try bunch of suggestion
It is itching in the hair way above the vagina, not a vaginal itch.
I have also had this problem for many years.  Two years ago my back, legs, arms, lower abdomen and pubic area would just itch constantly.  Nothing ever helped.  I would ask my husband or daughters to scratch my back and it would gross them out and they'd refuse.  I was in agony and would have to scratch my back against the corner of a wall.  That all stopped except in the pubic area.  My husband and I separated 2 months ago and I began to worry about STDs even though I have no evidence that he has cheated on me.  Other than the itch, there is no other symptom.  Glad to know I am not alone but would still like a cure.  Have had cultures and everything looks fine.  Just wish this would go away as it did in other areas.
As so many have already said, so glad I'm not alone in this. I've been dealing with this for about 15-20 years. It's the most horrible feeling. The itching, the discomfort, the embarrassment. Really makes you feel like you're unclean and everyone else is normal! NOTICE! If this many have commented on this site and there are other sites as well, think of the number of women that are suffering and haven't! I thank all of you ladies for your courage. I will be contacting my dr and get some treatment for this. I will also stop using soap in that area.God bless you. Hope we all get some relief soon!
Im having the same thing mines been here non stop for about 2/3 months! Its so annoying and yes very embarassing especially wen ur in public and its itchin like crazy lol i shave down there and so thought it was just a shavin rash but its gettin worse iv got like spots and rashes and its startin to get painful too im always uncomfy! Just wana know what it is :( x
When I would scratch the groin area there is gunk under my nails. I've seen two regular physical doctors, the first doctor told me it was cuz I had a mild yeast infection, she gave me some meds.. it went away for a while but the itching came back a couple weeks after the meds were gone. I saw a second doctor and he said its not due to a yeast infection, the other time it was coincidence,  but he said its from sweat. I'm not obese but I am overweight and when I walk or stand to long sweat gets there and causes problems.. the Dr told me its the dried moisture that gets under my nails after I scratch. On the other hand... I have tried many vaginal creams that mention itching in the area.. i have found that while using monostat it helps stop the itching and the rash eventually fades and completely disappears.
When I was about 49 I developed this same itching that progressed from annoying to SEVERE over the course of about two years.  It was located at the bottom of the pubic area, but not inside.  It usually got worse in the evening, and by the time I went to bed, I was literally clawing at myself.  Often I'd make myself bleed from scratching.  It kept me awake at night.  I couldn't imagine living the rest of my life like this.  Nothing I tried helped.  I tried vaginal itch cream, yeast infection treatments, washing with salt water, washing with hydrogen peroxide, washing with wound care medicine.  One post I found online from a doctor said to alternate daily with jock itch cream and neosporin.  Nothing worked, and each thing I tried, I used for at least two weeks to give it a chance to work.  YOU KNOW WHAT FINALLY TOOK THE ITCH AWAY ALMOST OVERNIGHT?  You guys won't believe this.  I decided I was going to buy some Greek yogurt because my mother-in-law liked it.  I hadn't really eaten any yogurt in a couple years, because I had got tired of it.  At the same time as I bought the Greek yogurt (probably any yogurt would work), I decided I should probably be drinking more water because all I really was drinking was four Diet Dr. Peppers a day, some milk in my cereal once in a while, and enough water at night to take a prescription pill with.  Anyway, I started drinking a couple glasses of water a day and eating one Greek yogurt (vanilla Oikos) in the evening, and I am not kidding when I say it was almost completely gone within a couple days.  Maybe my pH was way out of whack.  I don't know.  I also don't know if it was the yogurt or water or both.  The itching seems to come back slightly when I haven't drank water in a couple days, even though I eat the yogurt nightly, so maybe it's more the water.  Anyway, I no longer am kept awake at night digging myself raw, and this has lasted now for almost six months.  Try it and see if it helps.  It couldn't hurt!!
I too had severe itching and talked to my gyn sister-in-law. Here is what she said: stop scrubbing the area, use only mild soap, no perfumy stuff, something like dove or caress, no loofah, no wash cloth. Just cleanse gently with hand. She said as we age skin thins out. If you are too rough in that area it will cause itching!  I followed this advice and within two days problem completely disappeared! Hope this helps!  
This is a GREAT idea to help balance the body's natural ph. Be sure to DILUTE it with half water or it can burn and aggravate the symptoms. I also recommend reducing sweet food in the diet for balance.
i have had this SINCE I WAS A CHILD---OMG---i feel CURSED!!!!...it NEVER totally goes away... i hate my life..i am scared to have sex...afraid HE will then start itching...so, i have not had sex in over 19 years?!!!---omg...the stupid doctors KNOW NOTHING!!!...i am at wit's end--- (tried the creams, etc...)
Never use chinese remedies.  Many of their treatments include secretions from the gall bladder of bears. They get this by keeping bears in  dirty, cramped cages with an open wound near the gall bladder and milking them each day from this. It is painful for them and they eventually die.
Rather,  rub in aqueous cream all aound the genital and anal area and then wash the genital area in warm water , morning and night, possibly in a bidet or by upturning the shower head.  Pat dry.  Wash towels daily, Wear clean underwear daily and try not to scratch
Totally agree, I never use any soap, and wash genital and anal area  morning and night in the bidet in warm water. The only' soap' I may use is aqueous cream which I rub in before washing or showering. Wash towels daily. Clean underwear daily and don't wear tight trousers or jeans every day.  I never wear pyjamas but always nighties (or nothing) to let air get to this area
I thought that I was the only one with this terrible itch!! OMG! this can actually suck the life out of someone. I have tried numerous creams, I've been to the doctor, he gave me some more cream, but nothing. All my test came out fine. I dont know what else to do with this nightmare. I had this itch about 2 years ago when to the Doctor..again..and more cream was given to me, and also tests which came out fine. Now I have it again and I feel I want to rip everything off. One of my friends told me to mix sugar and cold water and when I shower to rinse my pubic area with it. I will let you know how that went.
I'm cured!
I'm cured!
I'm cured!

I developed this same problem about a year and a half ago.  Itching like crazy in the area with hair only.  It would get better for a few hours right after a shower and then it always came back again with a vengeance. I thought it was somehow related to my eczema...just dry skin or something.  

When I would get too warm while sleeping I would wake up itching like crazy. When I sat too long in one spot I would itch...it was driving me crazy!  I went through countless tubes of anti itch cream I bought over the counter but nothing gave much relief.

My doctor referred me to a dermatologist because I had an itchy rash on my legs...which turned out to be an allergy to some very dark indigo dyed jeans. Got rid of those jeans!  This dermatologist prescribed clobetasol propionate ointment .05% for my rash on my legs and it cleared up.  She prescribed hydrocordisone cream for my itchy groin but it never helped.

Then a couple of months ago I ran across this tube of clobetasol cream again and decided to put in on my groin area.  Within about 4 hours the itch had completely gone away.  I put on once a day for the next 2 days just to be sure I didn't miss a spot. It has been a couple of months and I am still itch free.  I recently went to my regular doctor for a checkup and I told her I had cured my embarrassing problem with the clobetasol steroid cream and she told me it has a fungicidal property...so ladies and gents...all of this crazy itching may just be something as simple as a fungus!  I wish I had found this board earlier because there were a couple of other people on here who found relief with this cream. I could have been cured sooner.

To sum it all up...just stop being embarrassed and go to your doctor and ask for a prescription of Clobetasol Propionate .05% and get on with your life!  If you can't talk to your doctor about this then who can you talk to?

Good luck!

I had this problem for 2 years thinking it was a reaction to toilet paper. I tried usnea tincture by herb pharm diluted with water 60/40 and it took care of the problem right away. (it burned slightly)

I applied it for 4 more applications and then tried one more product, andiroba oil which is used in South america to treat many problems including ringworm. (my kitten had ringworm and I didn't want to use OTC products vet suggested)

It would be necessary to wash bedding underwear so you don't reinfect yourself.
hi there did the itch ever go away? i will have the itch for  a year now and im dying for a solution!
I have also had similar problem in last 3 months, over a very hot summer.   Itching which drives me mad, because I can't scratch while in the supermarket or on the street.    I sometimes worry that I might scratch in public without knowing as it has become almost a sub-conscious action now.   Dr gave me anti-fungal cream, MICREME H, which does relieve the condition enough to sleep, but the itching does come back next day.      Worse after hot shower.      I've been told not to use strong soap - I was using PROTEC soap which is anti-bacterial, but that has been connected with sensitive skin problems.    Also have a patch of dermatitis on left sole of foot, and on both palms at bottom of the thumb.   This suggests some kind of irritant.    

Beginning to suspect it might be in the water tank - Im in a rural area where water comes off the roof and in a drought, it comes from a bore (drill).      Wondering what chemicals are making their way into the water table.    the lab tests came back with a range of results:  Nitrates (from fertilisers) which will feed the growth of algae (possible cause), and bugs like E Coli and Campylobacter (birds).    Yuk!   I'm getting double filtration and Ultra violet water treatment system put in, at cost of thousands.  

This will not remove Nitrates (fertiliser)  and I am wondering if this is the culprit.  

Also, if we are on tank water, we have to ensure the Ph is correct as if the water becomes too acid, it is a skin irritant.   I was told when I had a SWIMMING POOL to adjust the Ph by adding Baking Soda to reduce acidity.  

The vulval area is very porous to water, and if the water is acid, then this could be the culprit.    

The cream the Dr gave me for itching around pubic hair & vulva, plus above breasts, was MICREME H, aNTI fUNGAL, anti-inflammatory.    It did relieve the situation, but if the fungus is on clothes, bedclothes, on towels, in the washing machine, then you are going to keep getting new colonies!    

CANDIDA is A YEAST INFECTION and can affect the whole body, not just the vulval / vaginal area.    

I tried using CANASTEN vaginal cream, smeared on the outside (not as it is designed for which is intra-vaginal), and it seems to help relieve the itch.  

This gave me the idea to use CANASTEN LAUNDRY LIQUID which will treat all my towels, sheets, underwear to kill off Candida fungus.  

If it is Candida, you also need to watch diet.    No sugar or yeast, (bread, wine, soy sauce, etc).    Google Candida treatment.  
I use a mycota cream for athletes foot! I tried creams off the doctor and numerous over the counter. At the time apart from the itch in my pubic hair the rash was spreading down my leg. This cream although hurt like hell to put on the first few times quickly got rid of the redness, sadly I cannot get rid of the pubic hair itch completely but this cream helps. Had the problem  for about 18 months.
So glad to see this page as I thought I was on my own!  
An antifungal cream used to treat thrush helped me with this condition (I think the same condition as yours) try that and also make sure you are deworming your family regularly
I use aloe when this happens. it calms it down and makes it wet area again, because of the heat in the vagina it soaks it ; and its a healthy way of doing it. try handling it with that:)
I m so relieved to read they are other women with the same issue, it's embarrassing to discuss with a dermatologist, or my regular doctor, I told my gyno but she wasn't much help, she didn't find anything unusual, I also believe its due to heat and sweat, but I hate it, I have a few little bumps, its more concentrated on the sides close to my thighs, tried different creams with little relief.
same
I tell my clients who have genital itching to use a cortisone cream to calm the area.  Also, use a rotary foil shaver like the Hair eRazor to eliminate irritation when shaving the area.

Tina Kolinas
Licensed Aesthetician
Las vegas, Nevada
I have vinegar in a spray bottle and apply vinegar to the pubic area after a shower. What a relief !  Then I apply Aveeno baby moisture cream.  It claims to help with eczema, which I do have on occasion.  After reading suggestions here, I am very encouraged.  I thought I was the only one too.  I am 71 and this just started a few months ago.  I know I eat too much sugar, so that may be part of the problem.  Thanks everybody. . . .
Thank you! Laurel Sulfate is an annoyance.
I have had this problem for about 3 months now and it is the most annoying thing EVER! I went to my doctor about four months ago and he said I had a yeast infection. I took the pills and cream and about a week later it went away. About a month later this annoying and painful itch came back. It was different than the yeast infection. I thought it was because I haven't shaved in a few months, but that does not seem to be the problem. I am so happy I ran into this website and know I am not the only one with this embarrassing problem. I'm goin to make a Gynecology appointment and see what happens. I cannot live with this anymore. It's like once I scratch it itches more and hurts smh. After my appointment I will tell you all what she says.
It started today. when I took a bath i trim some of my pubic hair and after like a few hour it started to itch. What should i do pls help
I'm glad to see I'm not alone, though I would not wish this itching burning pain upon anyone. I've had this for a couple months now, found its better after I shower, and I've also tried Tucks witch hazel wipes (for hemorrhoids but hey it helps a little) and moisturizer the area with coconut oil (which is AWESOME for just about everything). I read online that there could be a number of causes to this issue, one being the pantiliners you use... I've been using the Kroger brand extra long pantiliners for a very long time but they recently changed the texture of the liner and the adhesive glue (which now totally ***** and the liners don't stay in place well anymore) I was thinking this may have been the cause for me as this condition showed up right after the liners changed materials. I don't know for sure...
Oh my God! I thought I was the only one dealing with this!I went to the emergency room and  the doctor told me that it was Bacteria Vaginitis. I have no vaginal discharge. I have tried  all the home remedies in the world. Tea tree oil, coconut oil, hydrogen peroxide apple cider vinegar. All of them are temporary  fixes. I eat raw garlic I believe  it  helps the most. If you can stand  the taste. Drink plenty  of lemon juice straight also water.   I have been dealing with this for 6 months. This is the devil! I scratch  my self raw sometimes. It goes away and comes back. I am relived I found  this site I will try some of the ideas. I bathe myself 3 times a day. Praying for us all!
my friend has this and processed foods with chemicals in them caused her problem.
This flairs up for me too from time to time and it's awful.  I went to a top rated Gynecologist in San Francisco after their office could not find any yeast infection or anything else and they prescibed a yeast medication anyway.  I took two courses of this which only temporarily stopped the problem only to have it rebound.  The gynecologist advised using probiotics.  She said we're now developing yeast infections that are resistant to medication and are more difficult to detect.  The probiotics worked!  Eating too many refined carbs and also bread and beer since it has yeast are culprits.  Yogurt and especially kefir are good antidotes.  But if, like me, you don't want to give up bread, use probiotics!  
Also, another gynecologist once told me that jock itch, yeast infections, and hemeroids are all the same thing.  They are the same kind of fungus.  Hope thesecimments are helpful.  
I should say, the are related to the same kind of fungus.  
I cant believe it is so common!! Do you know if this is contagious and can be passed to your partner?
Sit in a tub and make a plaster of thick baking soda and apply to the area.  Or use wet tea bags and apply to the area.  Both help a lot.  The baking soda stings slightly.
I have been going thru this for a while (seems like an eternity!!!!) I have read that this can be caused by an imbalance in your level & allcolinity (sorry not a clue how to spell that) I found a product thru young living oils called "alkalime" and I ordered it. I am praying this works! I have taken antibiotics for this, prescription powder for jock itch, etc.... I had a hysterectomy about 2 years ago and I wondered if it was my hormone patch! So I started weening off of that. So hopefully between the supplement and getting off the patch this horrible itch will go away! Getting into a swimming pool is like putting acid on that area! OUCH!!!! Showers do help! But it just keeps getting worse! I have put holes in my pajama pants from itching so much! I can't take it! So hopefully balancing my ph levels will fix this!
I'VE been given Clotrimazole (sounds like same "family" of meds). My ex bf also used it, but to no avail for either of us.......... I never had it before he and I were together, but MAN! The itch is as bad as a yeast infection. I would THINK the Clotrimazole type of topical cream would remedy the problem, but it hasn't for me.

You know, I wonder if using an anti-bacterial soap might help. It has helped acne-type breakouts on my arms and such. hmmmm I sure hope everyone finds a solution cuz it's truly disgusting to live with on a daily basis - and yes, I too sweat profusely..... but that is bound to happen when over weight and over 40 ..... ummm or uhhh yeah  over ..that! :P ahem
I had this problem for a year off and on at first. I too changed laundry detergent, undergarments, and soap. I also tried many creams prescribed and no prescription. Some of the things worked to pacify the itching enough to function day to day. Then the itching became unbearable, waking me from sleep at night. I itched so bad I wanted to scoot my vaginal area around on sand paper like a doggy does the ground. Recently my PCP on September 15, 2016 wrote a prescription for IC Ketoconazole 2% Shampoo. I shower everday using this shampoo I'm so happy to say that after a year of itching profusely in two days there was relief no itching at all. I haven't had any vaginal itch since September 17, 2016 thanks to my PCP prescribing this shampoo.  
Those dates are in the future??!!
I have struggled with this problem for 7years now,I had a very short lived relief and the remedy no longer helps. I am going to try some of the things I just read in the thread because I am willing to try anything to have a normal life. My life is a misery, I am permanently depressed, I have never told anyone about this problem except one doctor who was unable to assist me. I have all but given up. There have been times when I have taken 4 Allergex tablets everyday so I can sleep rather than be awake to deal with this. I scratch myself raw all the time, it's part of my life. I am miserable. Summer is the worst time of the year for me.
What am I doing here at 2:45 am??? Obviously scratching my pubic area & trying to find some solution in this forum. It is very interesting to know so many like us go thru this. I am relived that this is curable. Thanks everyone for sharing. Now I have to try some of these remedies to cure myself.
Had to post b/c I'm with you all. It's very funny that no one knows why we're experiencing this... but I'm 34 no ovaries but i still have uterus and tubes... for almost 6yrs and this started for me about a month or so ago. I traded periods for hot flashes ...now this mysterious itching. No one mentioned, unless i missed it, their spouse looking at them like their crazy why u try to inconspicously try to scratch...I've gotten over being embarrassed by it plus it hasn't messed with our very active sex life...yet (knock on wood) ...i too thought of all things i could change...but reading these posts let's me know...nothing will help...nothing I've tried anyway lol. I will try baking soda, that k cream that sum1 said worked possiblu even have my liver looked at...prayers for us all
Hi there, I had the same itchy problem with holes in my pajama pants!
I followed a piece of advice from my friend who worked in health store. So I bought tea tree oil and need oil. I shaved the area down there completely and put tea tree oil. A lot, trying for it not to get inside. After like 10 mins I put on top of it need oil, I put on 2 pair of cotton underwear and went to bed. First time full nite sleep! The next morning the same routine.  After work I put only tea tree oil and after evening shower both oils. I hid it for 6 days and it's been 4tf week for me itch free !
Worth trying, it's cheap and it's helped me.
HEY PEOPLE USE A EPILATOR TO PLUCK OUT ALL THE ITCHY HAIR AREA,ITS THE ONLY REMEDY!
Perhaps ze hairs
How to get rid of sevre itching nd brown colour skin around mons pubis area
I mean neem oil of course
Can neem oil reduce the sevre itching or brown spot aroung mons pubis
I have had the very same problem for a number of years now.  I had tried all the over-the-counter remedies for itch with no success.  Vaseline helped somewhat, but never cured the problem.  From what started out as a tiny itchy spot above the vagina area in the pubic hair about 8 years ago until now, when the itch was covering the entire area of pubic hair region and literally driving me to tears and hopelessness.  My GYN had no idea what was causing it and I was too embarrassed to talk to my doctor about it.  Finally, in desperation, a few days ago I applied a cream prescribed by a nurse-practioner for an itchy, scaly spot on my thumb.  I had wondered about using it for the troublesome itch, but was kind of leery about using it in such an area as the vagina.  But in desperation, I thought I would try it.  I applied it at bed time and was amazed that I could almost sleep through the night without scratching myself to the point of bleeding.  I reapplied it the next morning and went through the entire day with hardly any itching.  I've been using the cream for about 5 days now, and I have not been troubled with the itching at all the past 2 days.  I am amazed and so thankful to feel normal again.  The cream is "Triamcinolone Acetonide Cream USP, 0.1%"  You might ask your doctor to prescribe it for you and hopefully you'll see the same results that I am seeing.  Good luck!
Perhaps when there r much hairs..it causes itching
Okay I'm 19 and I'm having the same problem :'-( This has been going on since i was was in 8th grade (13-14). Its been 5 years and it's like on and off. Every month it comes back and I haven't talked to a doctor yet. When it itches really bad I just put baby powder. I read it somewhere online that it stops the itchin but not for long. I don't really have a choice rn because idk what it's called and why this is happening to me.
try vitamin b2 or riboflavin. 10 to 25 milligrams twice a day. Itch is gone. If I stop taking it, it dos come back. Also take a b complex a couple times a week to make sure you don't upset the balance.
Genius!!  
I read your post and immediatwly went and bought Solar-Ray Stress B Complex Super.  2 days later and itch is gone.  Thank you so very much.  
This is most likely candida (a yeast/fungus that thrives with moisture and sugar).  Cut your sugar consumption (or try a candida cleanse diet) and use a topical antifungal like clotrimazole.  It's a very inexpensive over-the-counter pharmaceutical specifically for yeast/fungal infections.  Good luck!