Pubic hair area itching horribly

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Pubic hair area itching horribly

This is so embarassing...for the past 6 months I have had severe itching right at the bottom of my pubic hair, my vagina does not itch only the hair above my vagina... I went to the Dr. she found nothing and made me an appointment with a dermatologist..yeah right like I was going to a dermatologist for this embarrassing problem. It went away for a bout a week and reappeared.. I am a profuse sweater and sweet down there a lot.  I bought all cotton panties, feminine wipes, tons of creams over the counter... The area gets so dry and scaly, the itch is almost umbarrable sometimes.  Can females get jock itch? I bought some jock itch medication and have been using it for a bout 3 days...seems to be helping but, will it? 6 months seems too long for this to be going on..I do not have a urinary tract infection, no std's, Gosh I need help...my regular doctor has not been much help at all.  It seems to get worse when I sweat or get really hot..Please if anyone else knows what this could be or has had the problem themselves please let me know..
i think if your dr recommends seeing a dermo then that is what you should do.  i really doubt you are the only person they have seen with this problem.  
I, too, have had similar problems. I definitly think you should see a dermatologists.....maybe one that specializes in Vulvar conditions....less embarrassing!!!! Ask your doctor if they can reccomend anyone! I am awaiting an appointment myself for a specialist in Charlotte, NC. My doctor thinks I might have Vulvodynia.....a condition of the skin OR nerves that causes itching and stigning in that area. Check with your Derm......sorry I am rambling!!! Best of luck :)
Maybe this sounds dumb but have you been shaving down there? Sometimes, if you shave in the wrong direction, when it starts growing back, it itches like crazy!!! I've had this happen to me. You probably know about this but I figure it could be a cause for the itching..  Good luck!  :)
I'm sorry about your problem but glad to here that someone else is having the same thing that I am having. I've been having it for about 4 - 6 months and have not told my Dr. because I was too embarrest. I figured if he didn't see anything while he was down there then maybe it had gone away. It did, but it came right back. Sometimes I wake at night scratching myself like crazy. Mine is in the exact same area. I also feel like everytime I take a shower it starts so it has to do with heat. I  am going to try the jock itch med. and see if that helps. If not I'm calling a Dermatologist. I don't shave their so know its not from that.
Thanks and good luck!
  Have had similar experiences. Itching gets downright annoying, now accompanied with a rash. Just went to Dr. after dealing with 4 weeks of this, and he prescribed a lotion Clotrim/Beta Lot Diprop hopefully this will work.Did notice it flared up badly when I shaved bikini line :>(
I have the same problem, but i get sores also, have had this for about 14 years.  The doctors say I dont have herpies (herpes), which is what I thought I had.  I also get sticky scaley gunk under my fingernails when I itch.  It is horrible.  Medications for herpies (herpes) dont help, only thing that takes the itch away temporarly is to take a shower.  It seems to relieve it for a while.  Any clue as to what it can be and how to handle it would be greatly appreciated.
use vaseline this helps a lot. I am a male with the same issue.

Somethings it can be
Jockitch
herpes
Mites

For me it happens when i sweat and at night. I have no rashes or bumps
it will last for an hour or so then go away.

Try looking at the ingredients on the soap that you are using.  I read a research that the chemicals used to make it lather and foam can cause skin irritation, especially to people with eczema.  This is similar to shampoos.  Check if what you are using contains the ingredient called "laureth/laurel sulfate" because this can cause skin irritation.
I too had lots of itching. Mine was on the vulvar on the left side and on the pubic hair area along the left side. I had it for over 2 yrs. I went to a Gyno. and he looked through this microscope divice and found small white sores so he did a biopsy and he said I had Eczema. He prescribed a cream that I have to use twice a day for a month and I have to take one Zyrtec a day. The cream is called Clobetasol 0.05% its generic for Temovate 0.05%. I've been using it for a week now and it really really works.
Just in case you haven't noticed, this same topic is being talked about under a slightly different subject on this site calle Continual labial itching.  I found this subject,
Pubic hair area itching horribly, at the bottom of the Continual labial itching at the bottom of the page where I recently posted.

Trish
Opps, apparently, there is a really large response subject called "Itch-Scratch-Itch...uncontrollable labia itch (210 replies):" also at the bottom  of the page too.

Trish
I had this itch for about 15 years.  My left labia majora was all enlarged and extremely itchy and painful.  I tried a couple different doctors and all kinds of herbal self help stuff with 0% difference.  Mine seems to get worse with my period.  I did a lot of research on it and it is amazing how many women suffer from this.  I finally found a forum where one women found the problem and was cured.  So I took all this information in to a gyno.  They did a biopsy of the area and it came up as hypertrophic squamous mucosa with mild hyper parakeratosis.  That's a mouth full.  I reserched it under this name and found nothing so fa,r unless I researched each word.  The gyno told me that it was the same thing as squamous cell hyperplasia, which I found easily.  She gave me a strong steroid ointment to heal it and a numbing ointment to releave the itch.  She also gave me an antihistimine stonger then benadryl to take orally at night.  I have been using them know for 1 1/2 weeks.  My labia has almost returned to it's original size and the itch is just barely there at night.  My suggestion is to call around and find a gyno who is familiar with this term befor you see them.  I sincerely hope you find the answer.
I have this problem too-what a nightmare. It's been going on for about a month and I've had it twice before, It sometimes reduces me to tears because I can't discuss this with anyone. Trying to get the courage to see the doctor. Does anyone get red itchy spots, mostly in the evening and at night? They are not raised spots-always below the skin.

I too am a sufferer of this mysterious itching that has been going on off and on for nearly 4 or 5 years now.  Lately it has been with me for over a year continuously.  It keeps me up crying and scratching and even screaming at night.  I have had all sorts of test for diseases and all are normal/negative.  Every doctor I go see will prescribe either Nystatin or some other cream that never really helps.  I am starting to think it may have something to do with the change in the foods we are all eating now.  Everything has chemicals in it and perhaps it is having an effect on our bodies; especially since the private area is so tender.  I scratch and scratch.  It is absolutely depressing what I go through.  Sometimes I am in the library on the computer and I have a sharp penetrating need to scratch and I have to rush to the ladies room to go scratch and then I spend several minutes washing my hands because it's just not cool using the public library computers knowing you just got finish scratching your private area for several minutes.  It's so embarrassing for me.  Even when I am at home preparing food for my children, I spend sooo much time washing my hands for very very long periods of time.  I am always thinking about the way I would want to be fed clean food and I do not want anyone to serve me some food knowing they have been scratching in certain places... So I am always running my hands under hot water for long periods with lots and lots of soap after my episodes of scratching.  I'm still hoping it will go away.  Good luck to you all in finding a cure as well.
Try to use warm water w/ a few drops of Teatree oil.  It helps!!
I have the same problem as you. But mine iches in the inside too. I don't know why ? I am a clean 15 year old who doesn't sweat much. What is happening !???
Hi I've also had the same problem for more than 10 years now. I've seen. A gynae more than 4 times and they all tell me not to worry its juss a hair irritation. Sometimes I scratch till I get bumpy pimples that when I squeeze puss comes out juss a little though then the pimple swells and gets mre irritable. I've done papsmears and relieved that I'm clean. Regular washing with non perfumed soaps helps. I recently started doves gentle facial soap for that area and little cream. Stay away from g-strings. Goodluck.
Do any of you use Vagisil wash?  I never had an itch problem.. EVER.  I usually use Summer's Eve wash because it is the best soap for that area because of it's mildness. I ran out of SE and bought Vagisil because it was on sale. Let me just say... I washed with it (about 2 weeks into using it) and I almost cried at how bad it started itching in the shower! Then I started feeling these tiny bumps. A light went on!  I grabbed my Oatmeal face bar soap and started washing the area and immediately the itch started to dissipate! When I got out of the shower I used some Nystatin ointment. I am feeling a huge relief!
The best thing to do is go to a Genito-urinary clinic as they can use the microscope to help diagnose the problem.  It could be anything from Lichen sclerosis, Cytolitic vaginosis, lactobacilosis, thrush (lots of types so you need to find out which and what its sensitive to), pubic lice or even worms.
I just wqndered if anyone else had the same problem as me.  My pubic area itches, mainly at night ( and not because I`m too warm in bed ), but sometimes a little during the day. It`s only down either side about level with my clitoris and on the outside, not where it`s moist, down to about where my vagina is.  I have had a biopsy which showed nothing at all, everything looks perfectly normal according to the doctor  and dermotologist.  This has been going on for at least the last 9 years, I`ve tried different anti-histamine creams and tablets, plus any number of cream prescribed by the doctor who is completely out of ideas at this stage.  I find calamine lotion helps a bit, but nothing else.  If it`s any help to anyone, I`m 55 and have had rosacea for the last 10 years - don`t know if that`s significant but thought it worth a mention.  Can someone help please, I haven`t had a good nights sleep in years!
Hi, I am really emotional at this moment, I have suffered from this itching for 15 years and felt really alone, I had one year without it in between, but now it came back, it has been horrible for the last 8/9 months, and after reading all your blogs I can find similar symptoms in all of you. I also had endless creams, changed my panties to cotton, used glicerine soap, changed my dietary habits, washing products, you name it I tried it all I can think about, I just started to wash 3 times a day with warm water and sea salt, it does help but then it returns, after a shower i too feel relie Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night and I scratch myself so much i find skin on my nails, the spots with puss as well, had them, I am asa hygienic as I can be and never understood what was going on, the doctors and trust me they were several, don't really know what it is and just give you creams and tablets as a trial to see if it works, one doctor thought I might had diabetes but I don't. So far there was one Gyn who told me that this might be nervous eczema and it can appear anywhere, I have always been a person who stresses a lot, and sometimes the itching gets so bad I relate it to my strees. Can anyone let me know if they have considered this as well. Anyway, thank you for creating this blog, for all these years i have been desperated, and thought I had some kind of terrible disease, and me too don't know what is a good night sleep for many years now, which led to chronic fatigue.... hopefully through the echange of thoughts and comparison of symptoms we might be able together of finding a definite cure for this annoying and distressful itching.
I have also had this annoying itch on my pubic area for about 6 months. My  doctor prescribed a cream that is part hydrocortisone and part canestin cream which seems to help for a few hours if i cake it one but once it wears off and i am sweaty or at night i itch like crazy. I have also tried cotton underware and different detergents/soaps but nothing seems to get rid of the problem. Mariagil mentioned something about nervious exczema (eczema) and that sounds like something i totally can have. I have a baby with some health problems that I brought home about 6 months ago so it adds up, plus i am a major hypochondriac and stress out over everything. I am going to look this up and see if there is anything that may help it. Thanks!
My doctor gave me that same cream last time, about 2 months ago, it worked well for a few weeks, the itching seemed to disappear but one week after it came back again. I am still doing sea salt with warm water every day and it does help, now I added Aloe vera plant, after washing I am using Aloe vera, I cut one little bit from the plant and open it, inside there is an ointement, I just smootlhy spread it around the itching area and it seems to help, my itching is less severe for the past few days, I am going to keep doing it and see if it works. Another thing I thought about, do any of you smoke?? I smoke, and 2 years ago I stooped, it seems to me my itching disappeared for a year at the time I stopped smoking and exactly one year later I started smoking again and the itching came back. Just wondering if this would be a common factor, how many of you are smokers??
please look up pinworms!  I've been having this problem for months and months and have been looking everywhere online for what it could be and how to fix it. tonight in my search I found out about pinworms and did some research. I now realize that what I saw and thought was discharge was actually a worm. they caused a few other health problems I've been having as well. tomorrow I am going to buy something called "Reese's pinworm medicine" and make my boyfriend take it as well and wash our sheets and clean the toilet really well. these months have been torture, especially at night. seriously go look up pinworms and see if that could be your problem!
use apple cider vinager wash in it nightly right before bed will notice no itch after the fact
Zoocon 150 mg, once a day.
Riboflavin twice a day.
ALL FOR 3 days.

Zole-F oitnment for when it itches. Do not scratch. DO not use soap. Do not use any other cream.
Wash regularly only with water and change undies regularly.

the common cause of this infection is sweat and/or soap. Either ways soap makes it worse. One should not use any kind of cleansing agent at in the vaginal region other than water. The reason is that soaps/cleansing agents upset the natural balance of bacteria in that region.
The bacteria are present to keep the area naturally moist, so its also not good to keep rubbing it dry all the time. Usage of toilet paper after peeing is good.
I have had similar symptoms and it is so embarrassing but just found out my estrogen level drooped due to a hormone embalance which caused all the itching and dryness to the best of luck hope this helps
I have been having the same thing with the itching for some years now as well.  The doctors have not found anything but gave me Hydrocortisone.  That gives it a little relief and using Tea tree oil but mix it with warm water.  I hate that this is happening to so many of us but I take comfort in the fact that I am not the only one because quite honestly, I thought I was.
I too have had external itching in the pubic hair region for the past week and have been freaking out. I used to shave myself at least 2-3 times a week (have not in the past week since this itching started) and had an ingrown hair/pimple at the bottom of my hairline (the "mound" area). The scratching caused irritation and a small scab from the popped pimple...from going online and reading things I was freaking out about herpes, but two different OBGYNs have told me I have no reason to worry about that. The location (within the hair, above the clitoris, around pelvic bone), lack of pain and fact there was just one gave them no reason to believe it was herpes, since I have had no outbreaks or symptoms before. One said it was just irritation from shaving, one diagnosed with an external yeast infection and gave me a cream...have only used it last night and this morning and have yet to see if it really works. I've had the same partner for 1.5 years and we are getting serious, so I'm worried about having something that I could pass along to him. I go from freaking out about an STD from a past sexual partner to being calm reading that others have the same condition...these online message boards are both a blessing and a curse!!
i always shave my hair and it helps
Whew! So glad to have found this sight. Looking at how far the dates go back on these comments comforts me. It's good to know that this isn't something that just came out of no where. Taking all this into consideration especially the exzema (eczema) diagnosis. My symptons have been going on for many months now. It started out with an uncontrollable itch on the left outerside of my vulva and from time to time a small kernel. Then worsened by spreading to the pubic area which is inflammed in a circular patch which also gets small hardened knots. I am 36yrs old and had my fourth child 2yrs ago. I immediately blamed it on hormones. Also considered soaps, detergents and ph levels in these products. Nights are much more worse than days. I also took into consideration that I work out more than I ever had and I'm sure that's a factor with my body heat rising and all the sweating. Cooler showers and baths helps after the workouts.  I haven't seen Dr. yet but it seems from everyone's reponses that there is not a cure just ongoing creams and meds like treating exzema (eczema). Thank all of you for sharing something so private and I'm gonna try the natural remedies and do's and dont's for releif. Will check back to share results.
I am so glad to see that this is being discussed. I recently went to my doctor and had a pap smear and the doctor said everything was fine even though I told her I was itching around the middle of the pubic area. She just said that is caused by sweating. But I knew that wasn't correct. But I didn't know what else to say and thought it would just go away. I have been using medicated powders before I leave the house,I often have used the vaseline. But I too want to know what's causing this annoying itching. I wanted to ask the pharmacist but didn't want anyone else to hear what I was saying.I haven't used anything different than what I usually use. I don't have insurance so I can't afford to keep going back to the doctor. But I want the itching to stop!!!
I have the same problem but mine has been for at least 4 years. It is alot worse when i shower. I've tryed everything but a derma. if you find anything out let me know thanks
Yes, I wounded up here like a lot of us trying to figure out this mysterious itch. After reading the comments to date I suspect a form of "jock itch" and I plan to experiment a little on how to resolve my issue. Some things I will try:

* feminine power or non/hypo-allergenic baby powder after I shower
* wash area twice a day, more if I exercise
* use non/hypo-allergenic laundry detergent
* get checked for mites, etc.

My condition started after I moved to a  much more humid climate compared to the high-mountain desert I'm use to. Also, the washer at the house I live in is water "efficient" so the detergent i use may not be washing out very well. I think doing the first 3 listed will help out my problem but if nothing changes then I might consider mites--only because I have a dog that sometimes sleeps on my bed when I'm not home. I've also considered the mite-issue because when I first moved into the room I'm staying I was sleeping on the floor and the house is old. Even though the floors are wood, they're not finished and I might as well do a GOOD spring cleaning!

Let ya'all know! Any suggestions feel free to add!

THANKS!
I had this problem for a long time & my Dr told me it was from heat & lots of women get this rash under the boobs also! He said it's a fungal infection & it will never go away completely! He gave me a cream & it works great you only need a small amount & only use it when it itches! It is a prescription, genaric & cheap it's cloteimazole & beamethasone dipropionate cream! Hope this works!
I had that problem and it turn into rash, when I went to the doctor it was scabies other form of chicken pox. If any one has had chicken pox its possible that you can get it. It can appear any where on the body like chicken pox.
How is it that so many women are having nearly identical itchiness symptoms and in most cases their drs dont know what it is or wave the complaint away like we're imagining it?? Getting a vague diagnoses is almost as maddening as not knowing what's wrong. My gyno just told me "it's common, try a different soap or an anti-itch cream". I figured that out myself before going. I was hoping for something more conclusive in order to prevent the itchiness that occurs typically in the days leading up to my period. I still suffer from it after trying just about all tue obvious deterrants.
I have had this problem also afraid to ask the dr especially after reading this I have the itchy burny feeling on the left side only mostly.  When I look down there I never see anything. Thought maybe yeast tried monistat cream. It usually happens more often around my period or after sex especially or when it is hot out and I sweat a lot.  thanks for the comments will try some of the ideas
Girl
When i turned 53 and stopped my period and started MENOPAUSE all that happened to me. Along with other things that caused that.  First any hormone change will cause itch.  Any antibiotics you took will cause itch and you then have a yeast infection.  One pin dot of that yeast from the inside to the outside of you will cause the bacteria to spread and you tich so bad down there.  (ALL these things happend to me)
so now i know when i itch what from.............heres MORE..............ANY body wash or even facial wash EVEN shampoos !! that has LAUYREL SULFATE - TRASH !! that is also in that ITCH FAMILY of causes !!  EVEN certain feminine washes have that.  Its what they use to make the liquid sudsy but dries the heck out of your skin, and scalp. The BEST creme if you need one right away along or inbetween all this above i talked about that stops itch the best is "ELOMET". its a "corto-steriod".  certain itches need more than just cortozone that you get in a tube at the drug store.  This creme or lotion covers the itch and the inflamation (inflammation).  It takes care of boils i get "down there" shrinks them over night and gone in 3 days etc.....i never travel without it.  Even the worse mosquito bites i am allergic and this creme thats ina tube and comes in a lotion is better than anything i have ever used.  

ALSO even trimming down there..........you get the itches a week later.    Rule out the yest infection.  you may have one so bad you need two treatments AND you dont need to see any gunk on your underwear or smell.  You mentioned you sweat allot so you may have one.  

Use only natural soaps on your femine area and check the ingredients !!  I swear i was using Feminine wash and that made me itch.  Found out it HAS  - SULFATE.  anything in your bathroom that touches your body - that says that word TRASH !!

i hope this helps and to anyone else thats reading this.  ELOMET lotion and creme you can get on Amazon if you dont have medical insurcance.  Mexico pharmacies have it cheap too.
I have had this pubic area skin itching problem for over 10 years now.  My doc prescribed a cream that helps when I use it and the itch comes back as soon as I stop using it.  It's called: Clotrimazole and Betamethasone Dipropionate Cream (that's the whole name for this one product).  I believe you can only get it with a prescription.  I finally decided after using it for 10 plus years I would go to a new doctor and explore what else I can do to get rid of this curse for good if at all possible.  Well, they basically said it is a form of "jock itch" and prescribed a generic form of Lamisil (pill form) that I had to take for 14 days.  I doubt that diagnosis because every thing I read about jock itch says that it goes away within 2 weeks of treating it and mine has never gone away.  I thought the Lamisil pills were working because I was itching a little less but I've been done with the medicine for about a week now and it has come back with a vengence!  I can hardly wear jeans because it gets irritated so easily and I am out of my Clot/Beta/Dipro cream!  I made another doctor appt for next week to at least get another tube of that cream since it does give me relief, although temporary.  I do appreciate everyone's comments though because at least I know that I am not the only one having this problem and I now realize it may never go away completely but at least I can treat it so it doesn't drive me crazy!  
Thank you, thank you, thank you ................ I stumbled across this site last evening when I was being driven mad by itching. It all started as a result of dental treatment when the dentist gave me a HUGE dose of antibiotic before he had even started work on me, and then I had to take a full course. Result, itch itch itch itch for week after week, month after month ... especially at around 04.00 in the morning (could almost set the clock by it). Always aware during the day too, but I rushed out and bought tea tree cream and it's feeling better already (or basically I am not wanting to tear my skin apart). So, back to saying "thank you thank you thank you"!!
To anyone who is dealing with this problem I would recommend asking your Dr. for Fluconazole tablets USP. I had this problem for about four months, it was the worst four months I ever experienced due to the itch being so intense, and I finally asked my doctor about it and he gave me this medication and it worked very quickly to get rid of the pubic itch.
i have the same bad itch and kinda rawness in my groin area 2 months after giing birth. breast feeding apparently causes vaginal dryness.

having previously been prone to bouts of yeast infection i was once prescribed with oral probiotic pills. taking antibiotics kills off good bacteria as well and needs to be balanced out with taking either probiotic pills or eating things like live yogurt. yeast also thrives when theres excessive sugar in the blood.

so after having read all your comments i am deciding that my problem is most likely a yeast infection caused by my hormonal changes and aggravated by the lack of good bacteria.

i am prescribing myself with regular helpings of live cultured yogurt/ probiotic pills , 3-7 nights of betadine antifungal cream for topical use and lukewarm water washes everytime i visit the toilet. also trying to keep the general pubic region clean, dry, aired, and trimmed.

lets hope and see and maybe any of you all can try this with me.
I have been going through menopause just recently and this same problem has been driving me crazy! Thank you for sharing the tips!
skin conditions come from the liver.  go see a Chinese doctor or napropath,
research liver flushing to clean out your liver.  I've done them many times.it clears my acne.

dr.hulda clarks store has a parasite kill herbal formula.  It is 3 herbs.  perhaps you have a buildup of candida in your blood. do a parasite treatment and liver flushes and dr natura has a great colon cleanse.  really clean yourself out.

That does sound like lichen scorocis which I have. ts a skin condition that my doctor could not diagnose, I had to do to a skin specialist to find out. I was told its more common to get this condition in your mid 50's however I've had I'd for snout 10 years and I'm only 44 now, it's controlled with a prescribled cream that I put on only once or twice a month and its relieve the itching and damage that your nails can cause!
Other than the herpes comments and obvious solutions, I'm so happy i found this! for those of you that have the non-sore, non-visible mystery itch I am with you! I've had it for only a few weeks but was getting seriously worried!! what worked for you?

- in a long-term commitment :s
Oh, thank you for this site, I thought I was going insane.  I've had this for weeks and weeks, horrible itching that won't let me fall asleep.  Nothing helps, not washing more, not changing clothes ... I was too embarrassed to ask anyone or talk about it, thank you  for this site.  Why is this so common and nobody knows what it really is?  This is horrible!  I've never even heard of this one before, and I've heard of so many different problems, this was new to me and I've been really stressed trying to figure this out.
Thank you to everyone who has posted possible remedies to try!
A gynaecologist and a dermatologist specialising in this sort of problem have posted a self help treatment regimen. Find it here
http://www.mydr.com.au/womens-health/vulval-problems-a-self-help-guide

OMG, I am not alone!?!? I am 38 years old and have been dealing with this for the past 2 years. It is miserably embarrassing. I noticed someone else above pointed out that hers began when she moved to a more humid area, that is exactly how it happened with me. Moving from the west coast, to the southern east coast ... This problem now persists, mostly in the warm weather. Sometimes it's so bad, I scratch myself raw. I have tried antibacterial soap and anti itch creams, they don't seem to help much. Sleeping with a pillow tucked between my legs at night does relieve a lot of the itching sensation though.
like all of you I thought I was the only one  for about 8 years it comes and goes    now i am having itching all over my head  no dandruff or spots  just itch   also i wake at night and back itches   i feel like itchy everywhere sometimes   i love that i found this sight im going to try bunch of suggestion
It is itching in the hair way above the vagina, not a vaginal itch.
I have also had this problem for many years.  Two years ago my back, legs, arms, lower abdomen and pubic area would just itch constantly.  Nothing ever helped.  I would ask my husband or daughters to scratch my back and it would gross them out and they'd refuse.  I was in agony and would have to scratch my back against the corner of a wall.  That all stopped except in the pubic area.  My husband and I separated 2 months ago and I began to worry about STDs even though I have no evidence that he has cheated on me.  Other than the itch, there is no other symptom.  Glad to know I am not alone but would still like a cure.  Have had cultures and everything looks fine.  Just wish this would go away as it did in other areas.
As so many have already said, so glad I'm not alone in this. I've been dealing with this for about 15-20 years. It's the most horrible feeling. The itching, the discomfort, the embarrassment. Really makes you feel like you're unclean and everyone else is normal! NOTICE! If this many have commented on this site and there are other sites as well, think of the number of women that are suffering and haven't! I thank all of you ladies for your courage. I will be contacting my dr and get some treatment for this. I will also stop using soap in that area.God bless you. Hope we all get some relief soon!
Im having the same thing mines been here non stop for about 2/3 months! Its so annoying and yes very embarassing especially wen ur in public and its itchin like crazy lol i shave down there and so thought it was just a shavin rash but its gettin worse iv got like spots and rashes and its startin to get painful too im always uncomfy! Just wana know what it is :( x
When I would scratch the groin area there is gunk under my nails. I've seen two regular physical doctors, the first doctor told me it was cuz I had a mild yeast infection, she gave me some meds.. it went away for a while but the itching came back a couple weeks after the meds were gone. I saw a second doctor and he said its not due to a yeast infection, the other time it was coincidence,  but he said its from sweat. I'm not obese but I am overweight and when I walk or stand to long sweat gets there and causes problems.. the Dr told me its the dried moisture that gets under my nails after I scratch. On the other hand... I have tried many vaginal creams that mention itching in the area.. i have found that while using monostat it helps stop the itching and the rash eventually fades and completely disappears.
When I was about 49 I developed this same itching that progressed from annoying to SEVERE over the course of about two years.  It was located at the bottom of the pubic area, but not inside.  It usually got worse in the evening, and by the time I went to bed, I was literally clawing at myself.  Often I'd make myself bleed from scratching.  It kept me awake at night.  I couldn't imagine living the rest of my life like this.  Nothing I tried helped.  I tried vaginal itch cream, yeast infection treatments, washing with salt water, washing with hydrogen peroxide, washing with wound care medicine.  One post I found online from a doctor said to alternate daily with jock itch cream and neosporin.  Nothing worked, and each thing I tried, I used for at least two weeks to give it a chance to work.  YOU KNOW WHAT FINALLY TOOK THE ITCH AWAY ALMOST OVERNIGHT?  You guys won't believe this.  I decided I was going to buy some Greek yogurt because my mother-in-law liked it.  I hadn't really eaten any yogurt in a couple years, because I had got tired of it.  At the same time as I bought the Greek yogurt (probably any yogurt would work), I decided I should probably be drinking more water because all I really was drinking was four Diet Dr. Peppers a day, some milk in my cereal once in a while, and enough water at night to take a prescription pill with.  Anyway, I started drinking a couple glasses of water a day and eating one Greek yogurt (vanilla Oikos) in the evening, and I am not kidding when I say it was almost completely gone within a couple days.  Maybe my pH was way out of whack.  I don't know.  I also don't know if it was the yogurt or water or both.  The itching seems to come back slightly when I haven't drank water in a couple days, even though I eat the yogurt nightly, so maybe it's more the water.  Anyway, I no longer am kept awake at night digging myself raw, and this has lasted now for almost six months.  Try it and see if it helps.  It couldn't hurt!!
I too had severe itching and talked to my gyn sister-in-law. Here is what she said: stop scrubbing the area, use only mild soap, no perfumy stuff, something like dove or caress, no loofah, no wash cloth. Just cleanse gently with hand. She said as we age skin thins out. If you are too rough in that area it will cause itching!  I followed this advice and within two days problem completely disappeared! Hope this helps!  
This is a GREAT idea to help balance the body's natural ph. Be sure to DILUTE it with half water or it can burn and aggravate the symptoms. I also recommend reducing sweet food in the diet for balance.
i have had this SINCE I WAS A CHILD---OMG---i feel CURSED!!!!...it NEVER totally goes away... i hate my life..i am scared to have sex...afraid HE will then start itching...so, i have not had sex in over 19 years?!!!---omg...the stupid doctors KNOW NOTHING!!!...i am at wit's end--- (tried the creams, etc...)
Never use chinese remedies.  Many of their treatments include secretions from the gall bladder of bears. They get this by keeping bears in  dirty, cramped cages with an open wound near the gall bladder and milking them each day from this. It is painful for them and they eventually die.
Rather,  rub in aqueous cream all aound the genital and anal area and then wash the genital area in warm water , morning and night, possibly in a bidet or by upturning the shower head.  Pat dry.  Wash towels daily, Wear clean underwear daily and try not to scratch
Totally agree, I never use any soap, and wash genital and anal area  morning and night in the bidet in warm water. The only' soap' I may use is aqueous cream which I rub in before washing or showering. Wash towels daily. Clean underwear daily and don't wear tight trousers or jeans every day.  I never wear pyjamas but always nighties (or nothing) to let air get to this area
I thought that I was the only one with this terrible itch!! OMG! this can actually suck the life out of someone. I have tried numerous creams, I've been to the doctor, he gave me some more cream, but nothing. All my test came out fine. I dont know what else to do with this nightmare. I had this itch about 2 years ago when to the Doctor..again..and more cream was given to me, and also tests which came out fine. Now I have it again and I feel I want to rip everything off. One of my friends told me to mix sugar and cold water and when I shower to rinse my pubic area with it. I will let you know how that went.
I'm cured!
I'm cured!
I'm cured!

I developed this same problem about a year and a half ago.  Itching like crazy in the area with hair only.  It would get better for a few hours right after a shower and then it always came back again with a vengeance. I thought it was somehow related to my eczema...just dry skin or something.  

When I would get too warm while sleeping I would wake up itching like crazy. When I sat too long in one spot I would itch...it was driving me crazy!  I went through countless tubes of anti itch cream I bought over the counter but nothing gave much relief.

My doctor referred me to a dermatologist because I had an itchy rash on my legs...which turned out to be an allergy to some very dark indigo dyed jeans. Got rid of those jeans!  This dermatologist prescribed clobetasol propionate ointment .05% for my rash on my legs and it cleared up.  She prescribed hydrocordisone cream for my itchy groin but it never helped.

Then a couple of months ago I ran across this tube of clobetasol cream again and decided to put in on my groin area.  Within about 4 hours the itch had completely gone away.  I put on once a day for the next 2 days just to be sure I didn't miss a spot. It has been a couple of months and I am still itch free.  I recently went to my regular doctor for a checkup and I told her I had cured my embarrassing problem with the clobetasol steroid cream and she told me it has a fungicidal property...so ladies and gents...all of this crazy itching may just be something as simple as a fungus!  I wish I had found this board earlier because there were a couple of other people on here who found relief with this cream. I could have been cured sooner.

To sum it all up...just stop being embarrassed and go to your doctor and ask for a prescription of Clobetasol Propionate .05% and get on with your life!  If you can't talk to your doctor about this then who can you talk to?

Good luck!

I had this problem for 2 years thinking it was a reaction to toilet paper. I tried usnea tincture by herb pharm diluted with water 60/40 and it took care of the problem right away. (it burned slightly)

I applied it for 4 more applications and then tried one more product, andiroba oil which is used in South america to treat many problems including ringworm. (my kitten had ringworm and I didn't want to use OTC products vet suggested)

It would be necessary to wash bedding underwear so you don't reinfect yourself.