Rephresh Vaginal Gel-Applied To Labia/Clitoris-Discomfort-Help!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Hi-

Current [Miserable] Status: So I know Rephresh Vaginal Gel is supposed to be inserted into the vagina but recently I was experiencing irritation not only internally but also on my labia and clitoris and so I used some of the residual gel from the tube to soothe the labia and clitoris. At first I felt fine but the gel has now adhered to my labia and clitoris, it seems. I know it is supposed to adhere to the lining of the vagina to balance the ph so I figured if I applied it to my clitoris and labia it would be sticky, like a sticky film, but this stuff actually adheres like glue. I want it to come off but I can't get it to wipe off w/ water alone (or even vinegar, or baking soda or....you get the idea. I've tried stuff.) and I certainly don't want to scrub. Has anyone every done this before? What should I do? I'm actually becoming worried because it appears and feels like I have a gel like film over my labia and clitoris that simply isn't going anywhere. Obviously, I need to run, not walk, to OB GYN tomorrow but in the mean time....any advice? :'-(

Back story: I have been having problems w/ recurring BV all summer, which got worse after a latex condom allergy. I used metro gel, which seemed to work but as I have heard that it can strip you of good bacteria I tried to balance out my ph after my metrogel treatment was done using an OTC product called Yeast Guard (Like an idiot I didn't read the ingredients. It's a homeopathic medicine that actually contains Candida Albicans, which CAUSES yeast infections). I think that might have actually exacerbated my situation. Now internally I'm starting to feel a little better w/ the Rephresh, although I find it a little creepy now that it adheres to your vaginal lining for days at a time and can't be washed off. However, on my labia and clitoris I feel terribly sensitive and uncomfortable and I believe it is because the gel isn't really supposed to be used there. I am also taking Pro B capsules day and night.
Tags: Vagina, represh vaginal gel, yeast, bacterial vaginosis, high blood pressureaginitis, irritation, sore
Hey there,

I know how you feel, I also have constant trouble with recurring BV, and I know what you mean about rephresh.   I use it a lot and put up with the extra discharge because it does help control my symptoms.  I've never applied it externally though so I don't know what you should do, I don't think the outside of your vagina is supposed to be acidic anyways, it's just like the rest of your skin.  I think you should be ok to wash it with soap to get it off..

What probiotics are you taking?  I'm using natures way reuteri, it works alright but pro b's are not a cure for me...
Well first of all I'm so sorry dear. Have you tried soaking for awhile in a hot bath? I've tired the rephresh gel and it didn't do me much good. I'm not sure how to get the gel off. It might just have to wear off :/. I do have advice for your .bv problem :). Start washing with lemon juice. And douche with it. Put maybe try1/4 lemon juice in your douche and the rest water. I lay on my back in the shower and insert and keep it in there until the solution is all used then stay there a min then stand up and wash with lemon juice as well. Make use your healed from your gel adventures before trying his bc of course it'll sting and hurt. My .bv is gone after trying so many things who would have thought lemon juice!? But it kills bacteria quicker then anything I've ever seen. It'll also get rid of yeast infections with one douche and wash. And if u even get a uti try taking two alka selzers (sp?). Good luck and gob bless