Resistant Yeast Infection

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Resistant Yeast Infection

I've had a yeast infection for 6 months (candida glabrata).  I've tried over the counter medications, yogurt, and prescriptions.  I've been on Terconazole (2 wks) twice and oral fluconazole.  I'm now starting oral ketoconazole for 2 wks.  

Does anyone have any experience with this or know what I can try next?  I've been tested for diabetes and HIV.  I'm negative.

Thanks!

Colleen
My question to you is are you eating things that have way to much yeast in them. White breads Ect. Ect. Heavy yeast in food can cause you to have recurrent infections. Also heavy antibiotics. You can take medicine for them to clear but if you are not avoiding things with yeast or antibiotics, you will have them again and again. I am not a Dr but I would search the web to see what causes them instead of how you can treat them.
White breads, etc.. are not typcal causes for recurrent yeast infections.  It's a different type of yeast than what is found in the vaginal cavity.  There is no proven evidence that beer, bread etc.  causes yeast infections.

Are you sexually active?  If so, has your partner been treated for the infection?  My husband and I passed one back and forth for a couple of months before I finally called the dr. who prescribed Diflucan for both of us.

Birth control is another cause for recurrent yeast infections.  Also, chronic antibiotic therapy can also be a risk factor for recurrent yeast infections.  

Sometimes combining the prescription therapy with the over the counter topical cream will clear up the infection.

I really feel for you.  Two months of a yeast infection was enough to drive me crazy.  I can't imagine having one for six months.  I really hope it clears up soon.
Actually you are wrong because from the time I was 10 years old, all I did was have yeast infections. My mother took me to numerous Dr's. I am now 31. You can tell me that food with yeast do not cause this. They told my mother and me also when I was older that antibiotic, food with yeast and if you wipe the wrong direction or if you where a certain type of underware which is not cotton that all this causes yeast infections. Do not tell me that my comment is not correct. I know the heck what I am talking about because of what I have went through since I was a young child. Do not tell a person they are wrong.
I wasn't familiar with candida glabrata, so I looked it up. It seems it's a relatively drug-resistant strain that requires heavy-duty, longer term treatment. I think you should consider working closely with your doctor to treat this, because it might require a combination of medications. It sounds miserable - I hope you feel better soon!
I know it seems silly, considering all that I have been readin gon this (wow, talk about some tough stuff, I sincerely feel for you) Have you tried adding acidophilis supplementation to your diet? There are many forms (tablet, liquid, powder) available and many have seen excellent results.

I am not typically one that supports unconventional therapies, but it is a natural way to help treat yeast. It can't hurt to add it, in fact it is highly recommended for anyone using antibiotics to help prevent yeast infections from forming.

As with ANYTHING always clear it with your doctor before trying it or modifying any treatment plan. I did see on website that it advised against pregnant women using it, though I am not sure why.

Good luck, man I hope they get it all cleared up. That has to be absolutely miserable!

Andi
I am sorry for my above comment with the other posting. I let my feelings get in the way. I hope everything does work out with you and that you get to feeling better.
I will stick by my statement.  She mentioned a specific type of yeast infection.  I apparently should have made it more clear that I was speaking of that particular infection she was asking about.  I am sorry you were offended.  However, in the particular strain she has, food is not a typical cause.

For the original poster, this link is very informative about the specific strain you have.  It's published by the American Society for Microbiology.  

http://cmr.asm.org/cgi/content/full/12/1/80

I really hope you are able to find some releif soon.
I went to pick up a script once for an antibiotic for something not Gyno related.. My Pharmacist told me to stay away from yogurt while taking the antibiotic as it could easily cause a severe yeast infection. I have found my Pharmacist to be a great source of information, and they know SO much about the affects of meds and foods, and side affects etc.. So you seriously could give the pharmacist a call and bend their ear.. Maybe get some good info since they know what meds you have taken etc.. Pharmacists are VERY educated and offer a wealth of knowledge. Most people don't think to use them in that capacity, but in all actuallity, they have as much if not more education than your physician, and most welcome questions.
Just a suggestion. I sure hope you get some relief soon!
--J
Pardon my blunt response but a clove of garlic put inside of the vagina works miracles on a yeast infection.
Garlic has an anti-fungal property that will clear you up in an instant, no more gross medication. Clean all of the paper fro a clove, remember you'll need to push it back out again when the time comes.
Next time you feel an infection coming, or next time you take antibiotics use garlic to head off an infection.
Also make stick-less yogurt pops and put it in your vagina.
It's cold but actually very soothing, and relief is all we really want right?
I am sorry I got so jumpy. It was not right in the way I answered the comment. No hard feelings I hope.
Thanks for your ideas everyone.  I believe the hardest thing about having this resistant strain is getting the doctors to listen to me!  I've read alot about it and therapies to use, but the doctors have it in their minds what should be done.  It's not working. I'm on my second set of gynecologists.  Ugh.
putting yogurt into the vagina is a myth, you're only suppose to consume it.  and, if you put garlic directly into your vagina you could get a really bad burning sensation.  try inserting vitamin A 8000IU right into the vagina everyday, also start taking acidophilus made with bio flora with atleast 1 billion live organisms per tablet.  chronic yeast infections are becoming an epidemic and docs aren't realizing that just putting someone on a medication for yeast infections could make everything worse, which is why he/she told you that your condition is related to resisting the meds.  try this: in the morning before brushing your teeth or drinking anything, spit into a clear glass of water. if your spit sinks to the bottom or if you see strings going downward, then it does have something to do with what you're eating.  healthy spit will float on the top of the water.  nowadays, if you look at the labels you will notice that a lot more items than just bread have yeast in them.  so stop eating anything with yeast, sugar (because it feeds the yeast), fruits (because they have sugars), dairy (because it has lactose which basically converts into sugar).
Wow! From your comment, basically what you're saying is to NOT eat anything healthy again because you run the risk of getting a yeast infection... first of all... that's silly. I don't mean to offend you at all, but you should really get your facts straight before you speak of these so-called yeast infections.
Secondly, it depends on the TYPE of yeast one has. Every yeast infection has a source of how it started. Some are the result in what kinds of foods they've consumed, others are because they're not wearing cotton panties (they don't breath which in turn keeps moisture close to the body... the result? - A yeast infection.)
I'm not saying at all that you shouldn't watch what you eat, but rather eat sugars in moderation.
Another reason for some yeast growth is bathing for long periods. The longer you're laying in the warm tub (and frequency) the higher your chances of getting yeast. Also, SEX. Sex is a big common reason for getting yeast infection. Not saying at all that it has to do with someone "cheating" on one another, because that doesn't have to be the case. However, after intercourse, make sure to wash with a mild soap (the most mild soap out there) and also make sure to rinse very very well. This will most definitely help keep any yeast from ever growing out of control. This can be tough at times (late night, early morning spur of the moment things) but if you take that extra few moments to get up and go to the bathroom, wash well with soap and water and rinse extra well, then I guarantee that you'll have fewer yeast infections.
I really hope this information helps all you ladies out there that are battling with re-current or stubborn yeast infections.

One more thing... yogurt with active live cultures and/or with probiotics WILL help ease discomfort when applied directly to the infection. Just get a maxi pad, place about 2 tbls of plain (sugarless - because it only feeds yeast) yogurt onto the pad and wear it for about an hour. I know this sounds gross, but it does help. (1) it's cold which offers relief. (2) it contains probiotics and active live cultures which helps aid in curing the yeast.... you can also get yogurt to eat (again, make sure to get it with probiotics and/or active live cultures).

Again, hope this helps.

Good luck to all!
One more thing.. when you wear the maxi pad with the plain sugarless yogurt, make sure to only wear it for about an hour. Make sure to wash the area extra well, dry extra well and then if necessary, re-apply. Remember:  Although the yogurt has it's good effects when places directly to the source, it's always best to not over do-it. If you keep the pad on longer then 1 hour, you're likely to have the opposite effect - meaning, it will cause more itching and irritation. So, be sure to clean well after an hour and re-apply if desired..... You can do this throughout the entire day.

Good luck!
Hi I really need to fix this problem as its wrecking my relationship!
PLEASE HELP!!!...

First of all im 18.. i have been sexually active since i was 15 i have slept with 3 people one being my boyfriend (now) of 1yr.. i am on the birth control pill i have been for since i was 16. In about september/ October of 2006 it started to hurt after sex, My vaginal lips woud get swollen and quite tender, and a bit red, we used to have sex once a day tho this changed to twice a week.. I skipped my period for 2 months in november and december. In between those two months i started to get really itchy down below, stinging a bit, a swallen vagina and really watery discharge with occasional cheesey lumps it was a creamy light yellowy/ greeny colour it was really painful and irritating.. i told my mum and she said it might be thrush and to get canasten cream at the pharmacy.. he gave me a 6 day treatment to which i used an applicator to put the tablet like things inserted in  my vagina.. i only used 3 because it cleared up.  about a month later i started to get the same thing again so i used the other three. now its gone.. i had my first period just frinsh since the time i skkipped it.. and last night i had sex with my bf for the first time in a while and it hurt me but i didnt want to say anything because hes getting angry, and its now a day later and im still quite swollen and i have 2 tears near my vaginal opening between that and my anus.. its really tender and stings.. and afterwards i have sex it burns
Any ideas whats worng??
i am sick of not being able to have sex like i used to and enjoy it!
i have never had a papsmear
and my partner doesnt wear a condom..
First of all... go to the Dr. Sounds to me like you have an infection called Chlamydia. It's a sexually transmitted disease which causes painful intercourse, greenish/yellow discharge not to mention cause swelling and irritation. If left untreated, the infection will eventually travel from your vagina, up through your cervix, uterus, and into your fallopian tubes which will cause you to not be able to have babies. This is also known as PID - pelvic inflammatory disease... trust me on these symptoms cause I know first hand. You need to see your Dr. ASAP because the longer you wait, the worst shape you're going to be in. He/she will give you antibiotics and then re-test you once you're done them. Sometimes, not always, but sometimes a second course of antibiotics are needed. Also,  Chlamydia is a reportable disease. Meaning, the Dr. will have to inform your partner (or possibly any other previous partners if you've had symptoms which have lasted longer then your current partner). Your partner will also have to be treated for the infection as he's likely to have it as well.... does he have an discharge from his penis that is unusual in color or odor? If so, he needs to get in to the Dr. ASAP also. Even if he doesn't have symptoms, he'll still need to get in there and get either tested/treated. Also, if he has the infection, then the tip of his penis will also be quite red and irritated. Again, not all men have symptoms right away... but it will do the same thing to him - stop him from making babies.

Hope this helps. Don't be scared either. Just know that this isn't a laughing matter and that you need to get your butt into the Dr. as soon as possible... for your own health.

Oh, make sure to tell your Dr. that you've never had a pap smear done and that your partner doesn't wear condoms. He/she will need to know as much as possible about your situation in order to take the right precautions and appropriate actions to help you. Don't forget to mention that you're on Birth control pills and what kind they are.

Good luck.
I NEeD HeLP!

i ToOK My BoYFRiENdS ViRGiNiTyy aNd LaST MoNDaY WaS HiS FiRST TimE HaviNg sEX WiTHOuT a CoNDoM HeS a LiTTLE ROuGh WiTH FoREPLaY sO WhEN I HaD aN iTCh ThE NExT DaY I JuST FiGuREd iT WaS FRoM THaT aNd iGNOrEd iT. ThEN oN THuRSDaY wE HaD sEX WiTHOuT a CONdOM aGaiNN aNd EvERYTHiNg wEnT WElL TiLL THaT NiGhT WhERE i HaD ThE WORST iTCH DOwN THeRe i HaD ReMeMbeRED SeEiNg a CoMMERCiaL FoR VaGiSaL sO FRiDaY I WEnT aNd GoT SOmE BuT iT DiDnT HeLp i sTiLL HaD ThE iTCh fRiDaY NiGhT I COuLDnT EvEn SLEeP n i HaD a PhOTo SHoOT THaT SaTurDaY EaRLy MoRNiNg sO I NEEDED THE ITCH TO GO AWAY!! bEiNg THaT GOOGLE kNOwS EvErYTHiNg i GOoGLE "VaGiNa iTCh" aNd yEaST iNFEcTiON aND baCTeRiaL iNFEcTioN CamE uP AnD BOTh oF ThEM SaiD To PuT a LiTTLE BiT oF SaLT iN a CuP oF WaTER aNd PuT YOuR FiNGER iN ThE WaTER ThEN iN YOuR VaGiNa FoR aBOuT TeN SeCoNDs! i DiD THaT FoR aBOuT THrEe TimEs iN ThE MoRNiNg aNd aT NiGhT aNd iT HELPED TREMENDOUSLYYY!!! ToDaY HOwEvER WhEN I DiD iT THiS CoTTaGE CHEeSe lOoKiNG THiNg CamE OuT! iTs NoT My DiSSCHaRgE iTs JuST iN My VaGiNaa i DOnT kNOw iF THaT MEaNs i HavE a YEaST iNFEcTioN FoR SurE Or THaTs BaCTeRia oR LeFT OvEr SaLT ! aND NOw My VaGiNa LiPs ArE a LiTTLE SWoLLEn i HavE kNOw iDEa wHaT To dO! AnY iDEaS?
I NEeD HeLP!

I had this problem before, and did not know why it kept coming back, but a pharmisist told me it could be from using Ivory or Dial bar soap or Dial body wash down there...There is something in those soaps that irritate and give you a yeast infection...
hey i only just got ur reply then..
since me writing this i went to the doc - she thinks its a yeast infection took a sample of my discharge she also gave me medication to fix it i have finished the med and everything is fine now.. but i still need to go to the docs to get my results.. do u still think its Chlamydia?????

thankyou so much for responding!!!!!
hey i only just got ur reply then..

thankyou so much for responding!!!!!
hey i only just got ur reply then..

thankyou so much for responding!!!!!
Did your Dr. take a swab only for a yeast infection? Reason I ask is because to check for Chlamyida it is a seperate swab. Also, just because the infection seemed to clear up with the meds you were given, doesn't always mean that another infection isn't still present. (ex., Chlamydia) Did you ask if it could be anything else other then a yeast infection? Did your Dr. offer any other reasons for your discharge other then a yeast infection - such as a possible STD?? Did you make sure to inform your Dr. that you aren't using condoms and that you've never had a pap smear? All these things are important to talk about. Sometimes Dr.'s don't always offer information. Some Dr.'s would rather wait until questions have surfaced or have been brought to their attention from the patient. Doesn't mean that they're incompetent mainly because it's difficult to treat a patient accordingly who hasn't told the Dr. everything there is to know (ex., no condoms, no pap smear, etc). My advice is to make sure that you mention to your Dr. the next time you go in (results day) about your sexual history, or any concerns you might have regarding STD's (unless you've already told all of the above). If so, and your Dr. still just suspects a yeast infection, then I would be more comfortable in saying that's all it is. Just be sure to give all the facts, no matter how silly, embarressing or unimportant you think it is. In some cases, the smallest, most minor detail turns out to be the most important. Remember that.

Please don't assume all Dr.'s are the same and that their expertise are on the same levels. That's not the case. All Dr.'s are different in their experience so if you're not satisfied with an answer you've been given, go to another Dr. for a second opinion. There's no harm in that, infact, it sometimes proves to be in the best interest of the patient.

I hope this information has helped you. Stay in touch.
Hello, i went back to the doc before i got ur reply because i also have a throat infection so i got my results while i was their.. she said it came bacck that i had a really bad case of yest infection.. i had finished my meds for it and ask if i could have a papsmear.. so she did that ( this was all on friday the 1st feb) and she said she couldnt see any discharge.. but then yesterday the (3rd sunday) i started getting cheesey discharge again.. and  today its quite irritating and sore.. mum is going to get me some cream for it again and ill start the 6 day treatment tonight.. do u think i shouldgo back? maybe because she said it was a really bad case that it has just come back??
plus after i finished my first treatment for the thrush and felt fine i had sex with my boyfriend a couple of nights after, is that bad? how long should i wait to have intercourse with him? and should he be treated? (he isnt showing any signs for it, discharge, red swollen tip etc)
DO guys have to show symptopms? could he have it and just keep giving it back to me? im going to start using condoms all the time with him now to see if that helps?

Thanks again so much, please reply :)

Thanks again so much, please reply :)
Yes, you should go back. Your Dr. needs to be aware of any changes even if He/She thinks it's just a bad yeast infection. I personally think she should be doing more tests to find out why this infection is continuing... First, you should absolutely get your boyfriend in to see the Dr. also as he will most likely be carrying the yeast as well (and no, guys do not always show symptoms infact 85% of men do not). He most certainly can be (and probably is) passing it back to you through unprotected sexual intercourse. Which means, he needs to get treatment (even IF he's not showing signs at all. Just tell your Dr. you want to be safe then sorry and have your boyfriend treated to prevent the yeast from being passed back and forth). Also, I most definitely agree that you should be using condoms at anytime during a relationship unless you are without a doubt in a monogamous relationship and/or are married, trying for a baby, etc. You're still very young and there should be no reason for you to NOT use them.

Be Safe - Use Condoms!!

I'm also glad to hear that you had a pap smear done - results usually take anywhere between 4-8 weeks to come back, so you must be patient. Make sure to always use condoms from now on. Make sure to hold off on any sexual contact for at least 10 days - 2 weeks AFTER all symptoms are gone (ex., itching, sore, swollen, discharge, etc). This is very important in order to allow medication to work appropriately - also make sure to avoid sexual contact until both of you are fully done all treatments.

You can always use drugstore creams, etc, if desired, however, make sure to still pay another visit to your Dr. with your continuing symptoms. It might even be worth asking about your blood sugar levels. Sometimes, if a woman has a yeast infection that continues to grow over a long period of time, then tests can show whether your blood sugar levels are normal. You may have high blood sugar which in turn can be a contributing factor in a lingering yeast infection thus making it become worse over time. This is easily treated if this is the case.

Again, I hope this information is of some help to you. Keep in touch.
mum got me canasten cream and these tablety things to insert into my vagina- its quite messy in the morning :(

should i wait till another 4 days( when treatment is up to see the doc)?? The lady that i go to isnt very good i asked her if my boyfriend needs to get treated and she said is he showing symptoms and i said no and she said well no then..

So i will go back and take him with me and see another doc and get him treated?
would the cause of me getting my yest infection back because i had sex with him a couple of days aafter??? - now i will wait 10 days
and use condoms

i just want to say thankyou so much, you talking to me is really helping,- theres just not that much out there when people need help and answers!

and use condoms

Let me just say first - You're Welcome. I'm happy that my answers/suggestions/advice has been of some relief or help to you.
Second, go to another Dr. Tell Him/Her that you are having a recurring yeast infection which continues to get worse. Tell that Dr. that you want your boyfriend treated as well  because you feel it's possible that he is just passing the infection back to you over and over again. Tell the Dr. that he is not showing any signs/symptoms, but you would feel much better if he too can get the treatment. (should be just 1 pill for him called "Diflucan." You can always ask for that for yourself also.
I know that the tablets can cause discomfort or become annoying from the mess they can create, but for the most part, they DO help. If nothing else, they can offer some relief while you're awaiting further treatment. You should go back to the Dr. though even now before you're done all the tablets. That way, the Dr. can be sure that again, it's only yeast that's growing and not another infection. Be safe now, so you're not sorry later.
Also, I think waiting 10 days after your symptoms are gone is the best route to go. Make sure you're completely done all treatment as well and your partner too. This is very important or you'll just be passing the yeast back and forth once again. The medication will work for a few days following your LAST dose (hence the reason you should wait). Very glad to hear that you're going to be using condoms now. It's a very smart, mature decision.
One more thing... once you've updated your next Dr. about your situation (and history)  you might want to ask if the birth control pills that you're on (give the name) might be a contributing factor. Some B/C pills are high in estrogen which also can help aid in the over growth of yeast - thus, causing a yeast infection.

Good luck. Keep in touch.
Hello!
Well the canesten treatment mum got me was only one night pessary (or whatever it is ) and cream - so i have used the tablet thingy two nights ago (4.2.08)  and now have just been using the cream.. my bf went to the docs yesterday and he got some cream - the doc said he has no symptoms but just as a precaution..and tonight im going back to the docs to talk to them an hopefully change my pill maybe - im on juliet ( its for my skin and i get bad cramps and heavy periods), any other suggestions?? i've heard 'yasmin' has been causing aot of problems for people... My bf birthday is on the 15th of feb which is like 11 days away ince i took the canesten tablet would it be safe to have sex with him then? or do i have to wait unitl ive used the cream for the 4 days (which it says on the box)??
it just sucks, like my bf is really understanding but im scared he is going to leave me :(
Well, you should always follow directions that are listed on any medication. If the box says to use the cream for 4 days, then do that. However, since it'll be more then 10 days when his birthday comes around, it shouldn't be much of an issue. As long as you use everything correctly.
As for the B/C pills - you can always inquire about different pills and the Dr. will figure out a pill that works for you (given your history/situation, etc.)

Don't worry about your boyfriend leaving you. If he does, then you'll know that he's not worth it. If he stays, because after all this isn't your fault (the joys of being a woman) then you'll know you've got a good guy. If you spend your time worrying about whether he will be around tomorrow or not, then really, that's no way to live. Just take care of yourself and remember - if he really loves you and cares about you, then no matter what... he'll be there. You'll know soon enough either way.

Trust in yourself to be strong and do the right things. Don't worry about things you can not control. There's no point in stressing over things that aren't in your control... will only make you miserable and you're much too young for that.

Good luck. Keep in touch.
Thankyou so much, that reply was lovely :) he's a great guy he told me he loves me no matter what..
Since the treatment i have been feeling good it has gone which is a massive relief!! - hopefully it doesnt come back..
anyways i'll keep in touch!
Thanks again, you have helped me so much!
take care xx
Hope everything works out for you! Stay safe! Have fun! Live, Love, Laugh!

Take Care!
Hi all! I too have had these problems for a year and a half. In the summer of 07 I had a yeast infection for four months that would not go away, and never even cultured. Tried everything, diflucan, boric acid, monistat, terazol. What finally killed it was gynazole. Was clear for 11 months. Now have another, I am not sure what triggered it. Took a gynazole, felt better for 10 days, then it came back. And the funny thing is my yeast they cannot see under a microscope and it does not culture. Anyone ever heard of this?
Also I have found that garlic cloves help with the burning! I believe I have c. glabrata. How do I get rid of this
Hi I have a very similar problem. I had a baby 4 month ago. Started with diflucan, than the gave me metrogel, than terazol. I have been using the terazol for 2 moths. Nothing is killing this yeast. It is awful!!! At one point that had me using a steriod cream. I just looked up ((c. glabrata))
It seems it is a type of bacteria when women are resistant to the antifugals... My dr actually mentioned something to me about boric acid if the terazol isn't working in another few days. Maybe ask your dr about Boric acid treatment. Another thing I have tried is just anti fungal powder. At night just Lotramin its the antifungal (same stuff for athletes foot) I'm sure they are all the same whatever one you can find. Just sprinkle some in your hand and pat in on yourself. It's cooling and calms the itch... Good luck, its stinks I know!!!!
I started taking Yasmin in November of last year, and was on it for three months, with no real problems. However I took a break in between for the month of May, as I was so broke I couldn't afford the pill that month! I began taking Yasmin again in June, when I got my first yeast infection. I tried the home remedies ( tons of garlic, yoghurt and cutting out sugars)...and it still didn't go away so I finally took Monistat 3-day...which didn't clear the infection. I went to see my doctor and he perscribed me three 150mg Diflucan, which I took and finally cleared the infection after two weeks ( I had my period in between). The next month, at the same time, I got another infection, so I went to see the Doctor, this time he perscribed ten 150 Diflucan, and we discussed the options of what the yeast infection could be from. I wear cotton panties, and never underwear to sleep I bathe 2-3 times / week in an oil of oregano bath, take about 5-10 probiotics per day + eat tons of yoghurt and do not eat any bread whatsoever. Also, I take oil of oregano internally, as well as coconut oil internally, every single day. Even though I was taking all the precautions, to prevent a yeast infection, I was infected a third time! Always, around the same time during my cycle...when the progesterone levels increase during the luteal phase. Of course, I have been having sex with my boyfriend of 8 months regularly and I thought maybe it was caused due to damage in my vagina from rough sex at first, but we were having sex in May....when I wasn't on Yasmin and didn't get a yeast infection as well!

I just realized that my infection is definitely being caused by Yasmin which has one of the highest doses of Progesterone of all of the birth control pills available on the Canadian Market! I am finishing this pack ( 4 more days! ) and then off to get Tri-cyclen 21...which I was on for years without any  major problems-not sure why I even switched!

I hope this helps!!
try zyvox it is expensive but it helped me. like you i suffer from lifelong yeast infections. zyvox was the only antibiotic that helped me
I know that this is a very old post, but I thought I would share my experiences with a very stubborn form of yeast I have been dealing with for the past year. I have been to 7 different gynos and doctors, 2 of which were infectious disease specialists. I'm not trying to give the advice that someone shouldn't see a doctor to determine for certain what type of infection they have. However, to say that green discharge is NOT a yeast infection is incorrect. That was actually my very first symptom of this resistant strain of yeast, hence the reason why I immediately went to a gyno to be tested for every single STD before jumping to conclusions. I'm still struggling with this, but I am working with my doctors to find a solution. I acquired this yeast infection after a new sexual partner, and I am negative for all STDs. If symptoms get better immediately with any type of anti-fungal treatment (over-the-counter or prescription), more than likely it IS a type of yeast infection. Almost every single doctor that examined me said that green discharge is more common than people like to admit with yeast infections. As long as you rule out ALL STDs (including having a normal pap smear in addition to microscopy AND STD testing), then you are on the right track. It's just SO frustrating that people assume immediately that it's NOT a yeast infection if there is green discharge. Not the case.  
so i also get frequent yeast infections....i ama 21 year old girl who simply CANNOT figure out why i get them. I have been having yeast infections ( 3 monthly) since i was 17! it sooo sux, i have been tested for HIV and std's but all come out negative. My question is why do we get these...i hate the fact that this is so normal for me now....its been 5yrs and now if im not discharging i think some thing is werong( LOL) its silly but i would like an answer...my dr. always says "resistant yeast" WTF is resistant yeast... in laimens terms por favor????

lol
hi Colleen,
i realise this post is old but if you can help i would greatly appreciate it.
I have the same type of yeast and im wondering how they ended up clearing it for you in the end?
did you have a thick, smooth white discharge with this??
any help would be appreciated.
thankyou.
I am a gynecologist. You are wrong. Maybe you were a bit confused about what you were told because it was over twenty years ago and you were ten then, but it isn't the same yeast that is used to make bread rise. And why would white bread in particular mean anything? Wheat bread rises with the same kind of yeast as white bread. Have you ever baked bread? The amount of yeast used to make a loaf of bread rise is usually a few teaspoons. Even if there were a correlation, which there isn't, you would have to be eating loaves and loaves for the tiny amount of yeast to travel through (and survive, yeast is a living thing), all of your digestive tract and the associated acids and enzymes and then somehow penetrate your vaginal wall from your intestines. Doesn't sound very likely, does it? Also, if it DID matter, foods that are truly packed with yeast would be beer. Quit freaking out on the internet because someone questioned something you were told when you were ten.