Severe pelvic pain after 2-3 days of onset of period

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

My wife (25 years old) has been experiencing severe pelvic pain for the last 2 months right after the end of her period. These pains usually start either on the last day of her period or 1-2 days after the period and they generally last a whole week and then disappear.

The pain is at times debilitating. It is centered around her pelvis and vaginal regions, often starts out as a dull ache but then transforms into a severe shooting pain that she feels someone is shooting needles in her pelvis. This shooting pain also manifests itself as spasms which can sometime grip her for as long as 5-10 minutes.

The surprising thing is that except for this pain she does not feel anything. Her periods are normal, the amount of bleeding experienced by her is normal, there is no vaginal odor, there are no clots in her flow, she does not have any fever, she does not have any pain urinating.

We have run a CT scan and have had a pap smear, a urine sample analysis and a blood test done. All of these have turned out negative.

Our gynecologist does not think this pain is menstrual cramps related. We are currently trying to seek the opinion of a gastroenterologist and are also looking into taking birth control pills. But the pain remains undiagnosed.

Have any of you experienced a similar issue? Any help would be appreciated as we are at our wits end trying to figure this out.

Endometriosis is another affliction we are thinking of but the articles we have read suggest this is very difficult to diagnose and our gynecologist doesnt think it to be the cause of the pain.

I really appreciate your reading this and may all your afflictions be cured.

Thanks,

Has your wife had any surgeries, It could be scar tissue... I am getting checked for that,, I to have a lot of pain and some days Icant do anything, it doubles me over. You have to have a laparoscopic done to determine if it is scar tissue...
Good luck,,
I am having all the exact symptoms as your wife and have found great MD's who are helping me find out what is going on. I have an upcoming appointment on 9/3/08 to better discuss options and I will keep you posted. So far the findings for me are endometriosis and adenomyosis. I have ovarian masses (non-cancerous) all are typical of endometriosis symptoms. I feel you can get too nervous reading too much info on line and I vow only to get my info on mayoclinic.com to feel informed. They really give a full explanation of symptoms, treatments and coping w/ any or all of the symptoms. Please find a MD you trust and expect some time for the proper diagnosis. I have been 3 months looking into this w/ MD's help and many tests(ultra-sounds, CT scans, blood work and MRI's) soon to be treated properly for the problems I am having. Also don't be nervous if MD wants to give blood work for ovarian cancer screening(CA-125) and results come back positive it is very common and probable in endometriosis. Best of luck and I will keep you posted on my upcoming consult w/ MD.