Sharp pain in left arm then BLUE VEINS on left arm and chest

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

I'm really scared. I'm 41 and feel healthy, but do have a lot of heart problems in my family. Today at 11am out of the blue I got a sharp pain in my left arm, it felt like a shot in my arm, about at the elbow/bend in arm where veins are. It happened 2 times within 30 min, then one more time about 1 hour later. When it first happened I started to panic and laid down and checked my heart rate with my Polar HR monitor I use to work out. My heart rate shot up to about 85-100 (not sure if out of panic or symptom, my daytime resting rate is usually about 70). After feeling okay  and laying down for about 1 hour I forgot about it (right when it happened I almost went to ER).  I felt a slight sharp pain again about 90 min. later when taking a shower but dis-regarded it.  THEN...that same night (tonight), about 12 hours later, when un-dressing for bed I noticed that the veins on the left side of my chest, and my left arm, are SUPER BLUE, and dramatically visable - bulging down my chest from the neck area and around my breast, also up and down my inner-arm.  I've never seen veins like this before. The veins are very dark b;ie, bulging and visable. My right arm and chest are completely normal, no blue veins whatsoever.

Did I have a blood clot or something?  What could this be?  

Note:  Of all times, in Nov. '07 I was laid off after 14 years and am on insurance that has a $500 copay for ER and hospital, so I don't want to go unless I have to. I made a "regular" doctors appmt. but can't get in for one week.

Any advise? Should I be worried? Should I take any action? I'm afraid to go to bed.

Thanks,
Rosan
I wish someone had answered this because I am 26, heart problems, noticed bright blue veins and a tightness in my chest and left arm and am also afraid to go to bed.

=(
I had the sharp pains and it felt like someone sat on my chest...it was actually birth control...I have high blood pressure...and I have the blue veins as well...I do deep breathing excersises and take a bayer asprin.