Skin Tag on Labia

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Skin Tag on Labia

About three months ago Inoticed something that looked exactly like a skin tag on my labia minora maybe a centimeter next to my clitoris.  I had a regular doctors appointment the week after I noticed it so I figured I would wait and ask her.  She told me that you cannot get a skin tag on a mucus membrane and that it had to be genital warts.  I left the office all upset especially being that I am married for almost 5 years.  I came home and started looking genital warts on the internet and all the images and desciptions I saw were NOTHING like what I have.  I have one single 'tag' and now it has been there for about 2 months.  It hasn't grown nor have I gotten anymore.  I now have an appointment to have it removed in about 2 weeks, but before then I thought maybe I could look more into it. Maybe my doctor was wrong.
Is it possible to get a skin tag in that area?  It looks just like the type of skin tags some people sometimes get in their armpits.  It is skin colored, sticks out maybe the thickness of a pen tip.  It doesn't hurt or anything, it's just there, and in a bad place.  Does anyone have any idea?  Thanks
Hi there Chrissy, I have no answer for you although I thought that I would let you know that I too have the exact same concern as you.  Everything you have explained fits me to a tee as well!  I have been with the same partner for the last seven yrs.  I too looked up genital warts online and have found the images incomparable to what I also call a skin tag.  I would like to know what, where, why and how it has become.  Thanks for sharing and I hope there is an answer for both of us.
Hello!  I have the exact same thing Chrissy described at the exact same spot & it scared the heck out of me.  I went to a dr.'s appt to have it checked out and she looked at it, poked at it, asked if it hurt or itched (it doesn't at all, in fact, I wouldn't have noticed it except for "routine maintenance" down there).  She said that it's just a skin tag.  I feel a little better about it, but it still freaks me out.  I asked if she could just "freeze" it off, cause in truth, I really don't want it there (who would?!).  Well, she tried but I don't think she was really applying the nitrogen or what ever that cold air is that they use to freeze skin tags off with is called; but anyway, it didn'f fall off like she said it would.  Very disappointing.  There's no change to it, but I'm going to ask her to try again.  Will let you know...
Hey! I totally know what you're talking about with the skin tags on the labia. I have the same exact problem. My doctor said it was probably just genital warts. But just like you, it looks nothing like it. I stated getting them after I got pregnant the first time with my son. I am freaking out and I don't know what to do to remove them. Someone please help me!
I had the same thing. In the middle of my pregnancy, I noticed these crazy weird looking things on my labia, all different shapes - some were just protruding cylindrical shaped and one was almost cauliflower-like. They were sensitive to the touch and just plain weird. I freaked out and thought I for sure had cancer, best case scenario - genital warts. Well, my ob/gyn excised them in the delivery room, right after the baby came out. Sent them to pathology and they came back as just regular skin tags. Now my labia is normal but I am terrified that with my next pregnancy, I will get them again.
Wow, I have the exact same thing.  I've been freaking out that it may be genital warts, but the pictures and descriptions are so far off from what I have.  I'm so glad to hear there is an alternative!  Hopefully we all can get some help.  I've been so uncomfortable about it.  Good luck to all.
Oh, thank God!  I thought I was the only one.
I have the same thing except mine has been hurting and have been doing some research. I have found information about Labial Skin Tags...I guess this is normal during or after pregnancy. One article said that if you were torn during childbirth and weren't sutured up properly, that skin tags can be the result. I would have to say to go get a second opinion. Don't question your marriage because of the uncertainty of a doctor. Believe me, I have had quite the experience in matters of broken trust due to a gyn problem. Good luck to you :)
Wow, I thought I was alone... I'm latin light skin but my privates are darker than the rest of my body.  I have full lips down there, I first notice a bit of pain from wearing tight clothing and then decided to take a good look.
I found this tinny flap of skin at the edge of my labia..I was terrified!!
Ran to the internet and found this page I feel much better...I will talk to a doctor to have it removed.  Thanks for sharing ladies!!!
Im only 20 and I unlikely have 2! one on either side on the lips, and i feel very uncomfortable going to the doctors, they look like extra patches of skin and dont grown that much if at all, but are sightly bumpy to touch. Should I go and have them looked at even though they cause me No discomfort and arnt sore or itchy?
Aswell I am 28 weeks pregnant,been with my husband over 6years and I have just noticed last month I have these skin tag looking things which are actually quite big, but do not look anything like the genital warts, nor do i have any of the symptoms of gential (genital) warts including a weird discharge but I have been to 2 different doctors one of which is a gynecologist I told him they were just skin tags, and he tried freezing them off told me to go back in 2 weeks, i didnt return due to scheduling, then the other night i went into a walk in clinic and that doctor told me they were genital warts, i dont understand how I would have got them and why the hpv virus wouldnt of come back on any of my pap smears which i do early. I will be talking to the gynecologist again on monday, to see if we can get one cut off and sent in to get analyzed I dont know why everyone tells you something different or why you get pap smears to test for this kind of stuff when they dont look into it. all pap tests check for is any unusual cells in the cervix which are cancer causing, and if your tests come back un normal then they send you in for further testing.  I do believe if you have any kind of growth down there you should go in and get it checked out.
Wow....I really thought something was wrong with me.  I have had an extremely tiny skin tag down there for a few years. It never grew or bothered me so I didn't really say anything.  I went to the OBGYN yesterday and had a woman doctor and felt comfortable enough to ask.  She almost didn't see and was like "OH that's just a skin tag." I was afraid it was a wart but after looking at pictures there was nothing comparable.  She said that it was so small that she didn't have a tool small enough to get it off.  The doctor say's skin tags are cause by friction of the skin and is very common.  I am so happy to know I wasn't the only one.  I was REALLY worried but not at the same time.  Now I can BREATH!!!!
I have had the same experience as you all, a skin tag that my GP suggested was a genital wart. It emerged quickly over only two-three months and it grew to become over 1 cm. Luckily the gynecologist at the hospital said it looked nothing like a wart.
I had the skin tag removed from my labia last week by the gynecologist using local anesthesia. Then she cauterized (use high heat) the wound to close it.
I can assure you that the effect of such a procedure is very painful. I can't sit properly, I can't wear any clothing that rubs on to the wound, I can't lie on the side in the bed because the labia is getting 'squeezed'. It swells up during the day and it stings. I feel a little bit sorry for myself and I'm annoyed about not being able to function properly nor going to work.
All I can do is to walk carefully around in my flat like a cowboy, wear a track suit that sags and wait for the test results from the hospital.

Have any of you had a similar medical procedure carried out? What I would like to know is how long does it take before the wound heals?

Yngvild
In correspondence to Gill1964!
I'm 18 years old and had a skin tag for around 4 months, I had the exact same thing done a week ago (cutting and cauterized). At first, around 2-3 days afterwards I was suprised at how little pain I was in! How wrong am I, now on my second week sicknote because I can't walk, sit, lie down in bed, cross my legs or drive! The op was painless, but that cannot be said for post op! Hoping it will heal soon and I can return to normal rather than walking round like I've sat on a horse for the past 2 weeks.
I am sorry for all of us but also thankful that we aren't alone in this. I am 26, I have a 4 year old daughter. When I was pregnant with her I got a skin tag in my underarm and that was it. A few months ago I started get some on the outer part of my vagina, the labia I suppose. At first it was one, and now I have about 5 of them! They're all small except for one. I've googled and googled and freaked myself out looking at all those terrible pictures that pop up when you search for this sort of thing and what I have matches skin tags to a  't'. It's so embarrassing though! Not to mention it's hard to shave down there now..from what you ladies have said, it sounds horribly painful to have them removed. I suppose the smart thing to do would be to go to the doc and just 'get it all out in the open', lol. My problem with that is I hate having to go and explain to every single person in that office (practically) why I'm there for the appointment. I want to just tell my dr. and not have to share all my personal business with the whole staff. Ugh.
hey i have the same thing except in a different spot mine is like right next to the opening and when i first got it looked at the doc was like ohh that genital warts and when i looked online it looked nothing like that not to mention it had been there for a year and had never grown or anything it's now been 3 years it's been there and still the same thing never changes i went for a second opinion after the first doc and this doc said no she didn't think it was one she said that sometimes chafing can cause things like that and not to mention i have extremely sensitive skin and so do both of my sisters and older sister has the same thing as well so my suggestion to you would be get a second opinion there are no test's to confirm or deny it so your really just going to have to get second opinions and be adimit about ur thoughts....if you don't like the first or even second get a third until someone explains more but i would suggest if 6months to a year go by and it doesn't change or grow or bother you at all that it's probably just from chafing and just watch it to make sure it doens't do anything crazy good luck!!
Hi I don't know if I have something similar? I have a prouding lump - pretty small, on he inside of my labia minora. I noticed it about a year ago. it is mainly skin coloured and sort of comes to a point at the end and it is white-ish. I told my boyfriend and he thought it could be a wart, but he wasn't sure. I am so scared to go to the doctor. I wonder if I have HPV. Now I think I have the same just inside my anus. help?! thanks
Human papillomavirus and skin tags: Is there any association?

Background: Low-risk human papillomavirus (HPV) infections are related to the genesis of various benign lesions. In an isolated report available, HPVs have been implicated in the causation of skin tags too. Aims: The present study was designed to detect the existence of low-risk HPV types 6 and 11 in cutaneous soft fibromas (skin tag) in north Indians. Methods: A total of 37 cases of skin tags from various sites were analyzed. Highly sensitive and comprehensive polymerase chain reaction (PCR) and restriction fragment length polymorphism (RFLP) assays were done for the detection of low-risk HPV types 6 and 11. Results: The results revealed the presence of HPV DNA 6/11 in 48.6% of the skin tags examined by PCR-RFLP. Conclusion: This result corroborates the hypothesis that HPV plays a part in the etiology of benign lesions like cutaneous soft fibromas. The identification of HPV 6/11 in these lesions, which are benign proliferations of the skin, further expands the spectrum of HPV-linked lesions.

Introduction

Introduction

Human papillomavirus (HPV) is known to be the most ubiquitous of the human viruses. Over 100 HPV types have been identified till date. In healthy population, most of these HPV types appear to establish a latent infection of the skin, mostly as normal flora residing in hair follicles. The numerous HPV types differ in their biological properties and oncogenic potential. Types with high oncogenic potential (which always express the early proteins E6 and E7) are able to transform keratinocytes on their own. [1] The HPV genome usually remains episomal; but in transformed cells, the viral DNA is frequently integrated into the host DNA. [1]

Skin tag, or soft fibroma, is a common benign condition, which consists of a bit of skin which projects from the surrounding skin. [2] Histologically, skin tag is a polypoid lesion with overlying mildly acanthotic epidermis. There is a loose, edematous fibrovascular core with mild chronic inflammation. Fibroepithelial polyps, or acrochordons, often develop in areas of skin friction. Certain HPV types are found to be associated with the pathogenesis of benign lesions like papillomas of larynx, conjunctiva; respiratory papillomatosis [3] ; etc. We undertook the present study with the aim of establishing the presence of low-risk human papillomavirus types 6 and 11 using polymerase chain reaction (PCR) systems in a benign cutaneous lesion like skin tag in a tertiary care hospital setting in India.

Methods

Those subjects who presented to the dermatology outpatient clinic with skin tags on multiple sites and were otherwise healthy and willing to participate in the study were enrolled. After obtaining informed consent, biopsy specimens from skin tags were obtained from neck, dorsum of hand and axilla from 37 patients. Ten biopsy specimens from the normal skin surrounding skin tags were also analyzed. In a few cases, biopsies from two different skin tags of the same patient were analyzed.

DNA extraction

Briefly, the tissue specimen was teased and suspended in 500 µL of lysis buffer containing 1% sodium dodecyl sulphate (SDS) and 0.01% proteinase K in Tris-EDTA (TE) buffer (pH 8.0) and incubated at 55°C overnight. After phenol-chloroform extraction, the DNA was precipitated with chilled isopropanol and resuspended in TE buffer. The prepared DNA was quantitated spectrophotometrically, and PCR for b-actin gene was done for each sample as control reaction to check the quality of material.

E1-PCR analysis

All the samples were subjected to PCR using primers specific for E1 open-reading frame of the HPV genome. The sequence of the forward primer was 5´- TATGGCTATTCTGAAGTGGAA-3´ and that of the reverse primer was 5´-GATATACCTGTTCTAAACCA-3´. [4] The reaction was carried out in a volume of 20 µL containing 2 µL 10X Taq buffer, 10 pmol of each of the sense and antisense primers 250 µmol dNTP mix, 1.5 units of Taq polymerase (Invitrogen, USA), and distilled water. Three microliters of template DNA was added for each reaction. The plasmid DNA containing HPV genome types 6 and 11 was used as a positive control in the reaction. Reaction was performed in a DNA thermal cycler (Eppendorf, Germany) as per the understated protocol.

Ten minutes of denaturation at 94°C for the first cycle, followed by 1 min each of denaturation at 94°C, annealing at 48°C, and extension at 72°C for 33 cycles was done. The last cycle was extended for 10 min at 72°C. The electrophoresis of amplified products was done, and the gel was stained with 0.5 µg/mL ethidium bromide to visualize the amplified PCR product. A 526-594-base pair (bp) band was visualized in the samples positive for HPV on a UV transilluminator. The picture was captured on a gel documentation system (Imagemaster, Pharmacia Biotech, Sweden).

Restriction fragment length polymorphism (RFLP)

PCR products obtained from E1-PCR were purified by using the Invisorb®Spin PCRapid Kit (Invitek, Berlin) as per instructions of the manufacturer. Subsequently, purified PCR products were digested with 10 units of restriction enzyme Alu1 at 37°C for 2 h and electrophoresed on a 3% agarose gel. Alu1 digestion of amplified fragment from 'low-risk' HPV types 6 and 11 formed the same pattern (a large fragment of 555 bp). [4]

Statistical analysis

Statistical analysis was performed with the Fisher exact test; a P value less than or equal to 0.05 was considered significant.

Results

Thirty-seven cases of skin tags from different sites including neck, dorsum of hand, and axilla were recruited in the study. Male:female ratio was approximately 3:1. Majority of the patients (57%) were in the age group of 26 to 55 years. Mean age was 41 years (range, 15-65).

PCR using consensus primers spanning the E1 open reading frame showed presence of mucosotropic HPV types in 48.6% (18/37) of the samples [Figure 1]. The biopsy specimens from the normal skin surrounding skin tags were negative for HPV DNA [Figure 1]. The E1-PCR products were then subjected to RFLP, which specifically identifies HPV types 6 and 11. All samples (18/18, 100%) positive by E1-PCR showed HPV 6/11 sequence patterns (a single band of 555 bp) ([Figure 2], lane 6 to lane 9). A few cases, where biopsies from two different sites of the same patient were analyzed, gave the same results. [Table 1] shows the distribution of HPV DNA types 6 or 11 in skin tags from different patients with respect to their sex, age, and localization of the lesion. There was no significant correlation with respect to sex, site of lesion, or age of the patient.

Discussion

The subtropical and tropical areas of the globe harbor large number of infections. The reason can be attributed to the intense exposure of skin to sun. The ultraviolet (UV) irradiation has intense effects on skin immunology, including reduction in density and antigen-presenting ability of Langerhans cells in the epidermis, increased keratinocyte secretion of IL-10 and prostaglandin E2 with increased serum levels of IL-4. [5] In addition, there is induction of suppressive IL-12p40 homodimers by dendritic cells and macrophages. Thus UV irradiation seems to induce a resultant immunosuppressive effect with decreased TH1 cell activation. [6] This type of microenvironment is ideal for the survival of infection in healthy subjects living in tropical parts of the globe.

HPVs are epitheliotropic and host specific, with infection across the species being exceedingly uncommon. It has been postulated that HPV infection begins with the inoculation of virus into the interrupted epithelium and the interaction with a putative specific cellular receptor. [7] It is recognized that HPV following trauma of epithelium establishes a nonproductive infection of basal cells in the skin and mucosa, but it is only in the differentiated epithelia that HPV replicates.

The skin tags or fibroepithelial polyps are known to develop in areas of skin friction, leading to disruption of skin, which might serve as a route of entry for the virus. The presence of HPV DNA and mechanical friction seem to be significant cofactors in the pathogenesis of skin tags. [8] The immune status and genetic profile of the host, as well as the type of virus, may play a role in determining the clinical outcome of HPV infection. So the clinical behavior of soft fibromas may be reminiscent of that of recurrent laryngeal papillomas with respect to the fact that they spread locally in the same subject but rarely to other individuals.

In the index study, HPV 6/11 DNA was found to be present in 48.6% of biopsies from skin tags. The entire samples were subjected to PCR-RFLP, and the results of both recognized the presence of HPV 6/11 in 48.6% of the entire sample. The samples were negative for high-risk HPV types (data not shown) when subjected to polymerase chain reaction using consensus primers for high-risk types. The only available literature is a study by Dianzani et al., [8] who have reported the presence of HPV 6/11 in 88% of the skin tags in Caucasian patients using PCR-RFLP technique. These observations strongly suggest that HPV, along with other cofactors, may be involved in the pathogenesis of these cutaneous lesions. Dianzani et al. [8] observed low quantity of HPV DNA in soft fibromas and explained their association with the clinical evolution of these lesions.

The consistent presence of certain 'low-risk' human papillomavirus types in the skin tag specimens from different sites of the same patient supports the viral etiology. Though the tropical geographical conditions favor infectious etiology in our patients, the lower frequency of the presence of HPV DNA in soft fibroma cells in the present study as compared to the frequencies reported in the literature could be due to difference in the sensitivity of the test, as well as the loss of HPV genome. The presence of HPV sequences in skin tags could aid their recurrence as well. The expression of early viral genes may contribute to stimulated cell growth, which leads to limited epithelial proliferation and formation of acanthotic epidermis overlying edematous fibrovascular tissue.

The association of HPV type 6 with benign lesions is very old. It was in 1982 that HPV type 6 was observed in laryngeal papillomas with the help of DNA hybridization technique. A year later, HPV type 11 was also found to be associated with laryngeal papillomas. [9] However, the literature on the intracellular mechanisms through which HPV type 6 or 11 may immortalize cells is still fractional in comparison with data on the high-risk HPV types. Additional in vitro and epidemiological studies investigating the influence of genetic and environmental factors on the interaction of the HPV proteins with cellular proteins should provide valuable information on a possible role for HPV types 6 and 11 in the pathogenesis of these cutaneous lesions
May I make a suggestion to just make an appointment for your annual pap, and once you get into the examination room with your doctor, you can bring up your concern. I have the same thing that y'all are describing, and it's quite disturbing. However, I'm very thankful that it isn't anything serious. We can all get through the uncomfortableness and a little pain. Now genital warts would be much worse, or even cervical cancer. Wouldn't you all agree? I have an appointment in 2 weeks to have mine looked at and hopefully removed. I will get back on here and let y'all know how it went. Best of luck!
Well, I probably shouldn't post this but I am going to anyway.  I have had the same thing for over a year now.  About the size of a large Rice Crispy.  I am extremely embarrased and could not bring my self to go to the doctor.I actually removed it my yesterday myself.  I DO NOT RECOMMEND DOING THIS YOURSELF...but for me I was happy to avoid the docs and try a home remedy.  I cleaned the area thoroughly and tied a piece of dental floss around the base of the skin tag to cut off circulation. Then I rubbed Anbesol, the only numbing medicine I could find, and cut it off quickly with sanitized scissors.  I immediately put on lots of antibiotic cream and applied pressure for probably 45 minutes until I knew for sure it was done bleeding.  I have been real careful for the past 24 hours to apply antibiotic every time I go to the bathroom.  Today, 24 hours later, you can not even tell where it was...no pain, no redness, no swelling.  I'm probably really fortunate and stupid, but I don't have to go to the doctor and I really hope it doesn't grow back!!
Wow well i too have these same things happening to me. I went to my Doctor about a year ago and she told me it was a skin tag. I told her to get rid of it because well basically I just didnt want it there. Been with the same partner for 6 years now. she froze it off and let me tell you It was the most painful thing I have ever gone through. Now a year later, i have about 6 of them that grew back in the same area. Not sure what to do about it, but I will not have them froze off again.  Hopefully someone can help us all, not feeling comfortable with the dental floss thing, but that is something my Doctor had told me to do.
I had the same thing as you, ladies. So glad I'm not alone.
I noticed mine about a year ago but didn't pay any attention. That until it became long and started to twist causing me so much pain. During my last pap smear I asked my doctor about it and she just brushed it off as being a skin tag. She also mentioned that an ob-gyn doc can take care of it if it bothers me.

I finally made an appointment and went it today. The doc was pretty confident that she can take care of it on the spot. The most painful part was the local anesthesia. I had a little bit of bleeding so I strongly recommend that you have a pad with you. You might not bleed but it's better to have it, just in case.
I asked her what cause them to grow, she said that in my case, the left labia minor is larger than the right one and the friction causes those skin tags to grow. She also said more might reaper in which case she can perform a reduction of the left part in order to avoid further problems.
What you are describing is EXACTLY what I'm going through!  I discovered mine about 5 years ago and 2 years ago when I got prego my OB/GYN brushed it off and said it was just a skin tag and that she could remove it right then if I wanted but I said "NO!"  afraid of it being too painful.  It bothers me more on some days than others because it gets twisted and/or pinched.  Sitting for long periods of time causes it to swell which then causes it to get pinched and chafed! I haven't gone back to have it removed because of being embarrassed, the pain and the fear of it being something more and after reading a lot of these posts I am really thinking I will suffer a little longer : /  I don't want to be walking around in pain for over 2 weeks especially since I stand all day for a living!
I hope my experience helps someone out there: I had this type of skin tag for TEN YEARS!! And FINALLY, it somewhat self destructed and fell off TODAY. It's a huge relief to say the least. Ten years ago I got it checked out by an obgyn & she said it was a skin tag, SHE THINKS...but definitely not warts. It never was noticeable unless pointed out, and I never felt it EVER. I forgot about it for the most part and I thought, "I don't want to deal with it" because of the physical and financial pain (no insurance for me). I've recently started to walk regularly for exercise, and think that may be why it started getting irritated. It was about a 6 week process of getting really sore/painful one week, than healing some what the next week. Than it turned into a throbbing blister, than a scab, than it disintegrate. (It was super gross, painful, & uncomfortable.) I'm so glad that it took care of itself, even if it did take 10 years.
Chrissy - Actually your doctor IS wrong. You absolutely can get a skin tag on your labia. Skin tags can form anywhere on the body where there is heat, moisture, and friction. It is NOT a genital wart. Genital warts are found in clusters that look like cauliflower and are flat to the touch. They might also be painful and they will return after you have them removed.

I have been in a long term relationship with one partner and was horrified when the GYN told me that my skin tags were genital warts. (Not to mention the toll this took on my relationship causing my partner to think I that I was cheating! How else could that have happened?) After doing some research on my own I found out that there are all kinds of factors that could lead to the development of skin tags on this area of the body. I had recently started bicycling every day, as well as shaving down there. Both of these activities can cause friction and irritation that can cause skin tags to form.

After getting a second opinion and getting them removed they did not return and I have had no problems since. Get a second opinion and if I were you never go back to that doctor!

You will be fine, no worries!
I have the same thing on my labia minora. I noticed it before but figured it would either go away or continue to not bother me. I have have multiple std checks done from routine ob/gyn appointments. But I recently had sex with my boyfriend and it hurts not. I looked at it and it looks irratated and it feels almost as if its been torn from the skin a little bit. Has anyone had that problem before? I am going to make an appointment soon to have it looked at but it makes me nervous.
Dog
i had the same problem mine were boils caused from wearing pads, try soaking in warm or hot water 3-times aday and apply vagisil several times aday they will go away. once i stopped wearing them i never got anymore.
I'm curious (as I too have the skin tag issue) - how many posters on here use a vibrator? Knowing that friction is the cause of skin tags in other area of the body, the location of my skin tag is eight where I use the vibratory the most. I'm thinking this could be the cause of mine. Granted, I only use it about once or twice a month, I still think this could be the cause and am interested to know if anyone else thinks there's a relationship between the two. My theory would be that right-handed women would have the skin tag to the right of the clitoris and the left for left-handed women. Please weigh in!
First of all I have had hpv but it did look more like cauliflower. It showed up when pregnant the gyno did cyro in the office it didn't hurt very much this was when i was in my 20's. My husband was my first and only at the time. I also ended up having endometrisosis , dysplasia of my cervic & tumors in my one ovary. I had three surgeriesI done with a scope threw my belly button and two little holes in my stomach. I have 4 children 2 with my 1st husband(he was an alcoholic & became abusive) & 2 with my second husband that I've been married to for over 20yrs. Anyways I had to have a hysterectomy a yr after my 4th child. So if you think you might have HPV please get checked because in some women it can lead to cancer so make sure you have a pap done it can save your life. Anyway 2yrs ago when I had surgery for my sinus I noticed skin tag on the right liba I went into planned parenthood(was the 1st time I went there, we have crappy healthy ins. & friend recommended them)anyways she said it wasn't hpv but I said I didn't want it there so she did an acid treatment there please don't try it at home, they put stuff around the area so it won't damage the other skin and them numb it then do the acid treatment, you have to go back a wk later if it doesn't fall off which I did but for $120 total for both visits it was done with, it was a little uncomfortable for those 2wks but I could still get around and do stuff. Recently I had a bad UTI & was having trouble with my asthma had to take 2 antibiotics and streroids well low and behold with all the burning down there I noticed another skin tag so I have another appoint to get it taken care of. What I want to share also with HPV stress on the body, pregnancy , surgery etc lowers the immunities and a lot of time that when it appears. I was thinking that maybe that was why the skin thing came up too. I had been walking and jogging a lot prior to my UTI so I'm wondering if it could be a combination of the friction and stress we are under & lower immunity due to illiness.  

Please get checked if you don't have insurance call planned parenthood they treated me very nice it wasn't like there was a bunch of people hanging around looking at you when you went in for an appt. a lot of the younger girls come in and get their birth control pills there for cheap.  And when it comes to HPV  actually 75% of people in the reproductive age have been affected with it at some point in their life. Some people have stronger immune systems then others and  may never show any signs of it or any problems. So in less you and your partner were virgins when you first had sex you could have it even if your partner only had sex with 1 person before you.
Business_woman2
One of the easiest ways to get rid of skin tags at home is to use Apple Cider Vinegar. The reason so many people find this one of the best ways to get rid of skin tags is because it is a natural product and it is well known for its healing properties. The best way to use apple cider vinegar to remove skin tags is to get a cotton ball and soak it in the apple cider vinegar. You then need to hold the cotton ball on the skin tag for about a minute or so and then do this three times a day. In order to see results from this method you will have to repeat this process every day for around ten to fifteen days. After this period you should notice that the skin tags should be starting to fall off. If you want it to fall off sooner you can tape the soaked cotton ball on with a band-aid or medical tape and leave overnight. In the morning wash the area and put Aloe Vera on it to sooth the skin. This works with warts too.
read your post and your way of clipping it off sounded good.  i was not going to let a doctor see nor clip or freeze my skin tag off my labia.  mine is about the size of half a rice krispie.  very sore from skin rubbing down there sitting and walking.  i had gained some weight and i guess more fat more friction.  anyway....i was going to clip it off if this suggestion from another website did not work.  TRY THIS:  i applied liquid bandage two times a day for 2 weeks.  it kept the skin tag down so no rubbing or pain.  each day it looked darker and darker.  finally last night while going to apply my application, i thought i would touch it and see how connected it was.  well... it pulled right off!!!!  it dried up.  sooooo happy that i don't have to deal with this anymore.  
Question, are any of your alls skin tags literally right next to your clitoris? I have what appears to be a skin tag next to my clitoris, it only hurts or gets irritated/itchy when my panties or panty liner rubs it. Appeared shortly after finding out I was pregnant, looks NOTHING like genital warts and I've been with the same partner for 4 years. Currently 29 weeks pregnant.
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/67317.php
I thought it was yeast infection because of the burning itch, but each time it gradually goes down to just an irritable itch and I find these bumps and a weird looking thing on different parts of my libia. My fiance, whom I've been together with for five years, and I looked up pictures of genital warts and what not, but none of the pictures looked anything like it.

My fiance said that it looked like skin tag and here a link that I've come across. Hopefully it'll help.

I have had the same thing for almost a year now, and reading all these comments, I am so happy to know I am not alone. It makes me feel like less of a woman....I have had the same partner for almost six years now and he has seen it and says he will always love me no matter what, and it doesn't bother him. He never makes me feel bad about it at all, but I just cant stand it. We still have an active sex life but it's always in the back of my mind, holding me back somewhat. I really need help with this but don't want to go to the doctor. It doesn't hurt unless it gets rubbed on a lot, but the psychological effects are too much for me.

I was wondering if it would be safe to try one of those 'All Natural' skin tag remover medicines. They say you just rub it on the affected area and it will eventually fall off. I'm just so afraid about that fluid entering my vagina though, and my fiancé is too. Even if it's alll Natural, I'm scared it might cause an infection or something. I'd like to see what other people think, or if they have tried it. I read the comment about Apple Cider Vinegar and am thinking about trying that too...but would that have any harmful effects on my vagina? That might be a stupid question but I'm just scared and trying to figure out a natural way to get rid of this. Thanks so much for any feedback!!
I'm having the same problem as the other women on here and I'm so relieved that I'm not alone AND that it's just a skin tag. I completely agree with your theory. I first noticed mine when my husband was deployed which makes perfect sense as far as the vibrator/friction theory goes. Plus, mine is to the right of my clitoris and I'm right handed.

I'm a little embarassed to bring it up to my doctor, but I think I'll suck it up and make an appointment to discuss removing it. I'm a little scared though after reading about others' experiences with how painful it is.
Good luck to all you ladies out there going through the same thing.  
All I have to say is, thank God for the internet! I felt a strange lump on my inner labia and started freaking out, thinking it was a tumor or herpes or something! I had just gone to Planned Parenthood for a pap smear like 4 days ago, so this thing seemed to have just popped up overnight! I didn't want to go back to the doctor, so I tried the 'snip' solution a couple commenters put on here. After a shot of whiskey, I cleaned the area, put on Anbesol (numbing gel for gums and teeth), tied it with dental floss (that was a bit tricky and took a while), then cut it off with sanitized scissors. It was a lot less painful and nerve-wracking than I thought....though, I just did it like half an hour ago, so don't know what the repercussions will be! I put Neosporin on it, and have a pad on, plus tissue for the bleeding. It was probably stupid for me to do, but I don't have insurance and I just couldn't sleep knowing that that 'thing' had just sprung up! Glad to know I'm not alone and wish you all the best and please keep sharing how it turned out! Thanks.
It is very unsettling to discover a skin tag anywhere in or around the vagina. I freaked out at first, then me and my boyfriend quickly ruled out genital warts from the pictures on the internet. I pulled off the first one I found. Several weeks later I discovered several more had grown right inside the entry to my vagina. This week I have a very irritating yeast infection. On the second day of the yeast infection while applying the cream that comes with the yeast infection medicine, I found that I spontaneously within the matter of two days grew so many skin tags all around my vagina and on the patch of skin in between my vagina and anus. I have Lyme disease and have been researching if there is any connection because my immune system is already weak. I have not found out much. I don't want to go to the hospital because I think this can be resolved by a gyn doctor. I am frustrated, afraid of what could be causing this sudden explosion of growths, and really embarrassed by it. Reading your posts has been very helpful. The internet is very comforting sometimes. I stopped crying as I read more and more of the posts. Just to be safe, I will also get tested for all STDs. The Lyme disease has affected almost every part of my body. This just may be it rearing its ugly head again somewhere new.

UPDATE:

Okay, so I didn't like looking down there much once I got the sking tag, but it started hurting a few weeks ago after one night my fiancé and I had sex, and I guess it got twisted and was starting to come off. But it was too painful to pull, and I was going to have to wait until pay day to get medicine or see a doctor. So for two straight days, it was painful to even sit down or move in my sleep, then one morning I woke up and the pain was gone. I felt around and it had finally fallen off! It's been almost exactly a year since I got it, and it's finally gone. But, other tiny ones have began forming around the lips, which worries me. At least this one is gone, because it was around my clitoris, but any skin tags will still worry me.

For anyone else with the same problem, I know it's embarrassing but everything will be okay. Even if you're too embarrassed to see a doctor (which I should have), it might eventually fall off, but who knows how long that will take. So I do suggest seeing a doctor, or rubbing the Apple Cider Vinegar which I'm going to try if these other skin tags get any bigger. I wish the best of luck to everyone!!
how long did it take to heal? and what did you put on it to keep it clean? I just got mine removed yesterday and they put iodine on it and I think it is like kinda goozing. It doesnt hurt anymore just want to make sure to keep it clean so it doesnt get infected.
I'm 30 and within the last 2 months I have had the same little skin tag things pop up. There are three now and it freaked me out (thinking cancer bec they look nothing like warts) a little until I started researching the Internet. I'm going to have them removed when I go in for my yearly check up this month. The article above on hpv 6/11 case studies was interesting but I'm leaning more towards the skin irritant/friction cause behind them. The vibrator comment got me thinking too. Nothing has really changed in my life lately except for my brand of razors. Sorry for this tmi - but I've always been a shaver and was wondering if my switch of razors has anything to do with it. Anyone else using the Schick hydro silk razors? I've been trying to figure out what is in their "water activated moisturing serum" but can't seem to find anything on it.
I will be 15 years old on Thursday and for a couple years I've had this skin tag-like bump at the very top of my lips and I have no clue what it is. it almost looks a little bigger but then again it doesn't. Is it possibl a skin tag? Can i get them at my age? What should I do? I've never been to a female doctor and i have no clue how to deal with this. Please help