Sore, itchy, bleeding vaginal area

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Sore, itchy, bleeding vaginal area

I have a reoccuring problem. My vaginal area becomes swollen, red, sore, itchy/burning, and sometimes has small cuts in it every few months (sometimes more often- it can occur at anytime, but is most common just after my period). I have been to the gynecologist 3 times (with 3 pap smears- STD tests, etc...) and they can not determine what the problem is. I do not have any strange odor or discharge. The Gynecologist suggested that I soak in oatmeal baths and use olive oil to keep the area lubricated. It has helped, but at times the flare ups are very uncomfortable and it is not enough.

I have sensitive, dry skin which I treat with Tide free detergent, Dove soap, and perfum free lotion. I am not certain if my vaginal irritation is related to dry skin and how I could treat it better. Sometimes the skin around my anus also bleeds mildly.

I only wear 100% cotton underwear and I use organic tampons and pantiliners. I am not on any medication or birthcontrol and do not use condoms. I am in my thirties with the same partner for 8 years.

My gynecologist has not proven very helpful and I don't know what else to try.
Thank you for your help.
my sister has the same problem and she finds that every little thing irritates it...even changing water..like if she goes on vacation or something...I will ask her about it and post to you again
Check into Lichen Sclerosis, your symptoms sound similar to it.
It sounds like you have desquamative inflammatory vaginitis - look it up on the net - it is very rare, I have suffered with it for years! The only way to treat it is with a steroid suppository that you use vaginally - not pleasant but does give temporary relief, sadly there is a trade off and the skin of the vagina becomes very thin - hope this helps!
i have the same problem too but i have the white stuff coming out my vagina and itching what is it plus the skin from outside is  too dry and i feel its swallon i donno if i spelled it right plz help
My wife was just diagnosed with Lichen Sclerosis. This sounds very similar. You will have to get a punch biopsy to verify. Good Luck
I'm wondering why my vagina is itching,red,swollen,stinging,burning,and I found small scratch like mark(where I been scratching) that was bleeding. I'm very worried. I havent had sex in over 6 months now, so thats not it. I was recently prescribed Ammoxicillon, but only took 3 or 4 tablets. I even reseached yeast infections, because I never had one, and it looks nothing like any type I found. I'm very red down there and scratched myself until I bled. Never done that before either. I've asked around and can find nothing to match this. Please help if ou can. Very much appriciated.
i need help figuring what is wrong with me. see above. i posted it a minute ago. please help whoever can! thank you so much!!!
I am having the same problem and I just finished taking a full dose of Amoxicillian.... did you figure out what the problem was?
Well I have a problem where my vaginal area is itchy with a yeast infection discharge, but whenever I scratch it tends to bleed...can somebody tell me what that is...by the way it burns a little and looks swollen and it been goin on for two weeks now
i have little sores inside my vagina that bleed also in the anus area they bleed also i think , i have had gohnerria once last year but took antibiotics could this be another transmitted disease??? im afraid i have herpes or something like that im worried
I've been dealing with the same problems. But also painful sex. I thought there was just something wrong with just me, but not my boyfriend is having the same problems! Might be trichomoniasis.