Sore, swollen lump on inner thigh by bikini line

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

A few days ago I noticed a sore, reddish swollen lump on my left inner thigh, right along my bikini line. It has since gotten larger (about the size of a nickel, and more elongated now).

It only feels sore if I press on it or rub against it. It seems like a soft lump that moves around with the skin. Last night I applied a warm washcloth to it for about 30 minutes, which made it feel better.

Could this be a swollen lymph node, or maybe an ingrown hair? It is located in the area where I shave daily.

Any advice would be very appreciated!
Viewing 1-200 comments:
i have the very same thing. i was told its a boil, caused by, yup, ingrown hair. apply hot cloth or hot bottle once a day for half hour.  for a week or so, should come to head and drain puss, do NOT squeeze.
Thank you for your response!

I decided to visit the Dr. yesterday to have her check it out, and she said it was a Sebaceous Cyst that had ruptured under the skin. It sounds a lot worse than it really is, when it ruptures it just speads out and flattens so that it's not a huge bulging bump like it was before it ruptured. It can be caused by an ingrown hair, a clogged gland, or bacteria that gets into the skin after shaving with a razor.

She told me to put a warm washcloth on it once or twice a day and it should go away in a couple of weeks. The soreness and swelling has already subsided, now it just looks like a flattened red lump.

She said the cyst will return to normal size and will remain under the skin, so this could happen again. If so, I may need minor surgery to remove it. But overall, nothing serious. :-)
I'm glad you went to the doctor. I believe that boils are Sebaceous Cyst's. It does sound like we are talking about the same thing. This is the seccond time I have had this boil. I had it once in 2003. It did go away quickly, so quickly I forgot all about it. Then this year about 1 month ago it came back and was 4 times the size of the first one. the size of a dice. So I grabbed for my British Columbia Health Guide Handbook. It gives you an idea of what's wrong, befor you see the doc. The book made it sound like no big deal, and does say it can come back, but doesn't mention any surgery's needed. so now I am curious too about how serious this is, because the health handbook reads...A boil is a red, swollen, painful bump under the skin, simular to an overgrown pipmle. boils are often caused by infected hair folicals. Bacteria from infection form an abscess or pocket of pus. The abscess can become larger than a ping pong ball. Boils occur in areas where there is hair chafting. the face, neck, armpit, breast, groin, and buttocks are common sites.....then it goes on to treatment with cloth. doesn't mention any serious outcomes like surgery. Thankyou for your information also because now I think i will phone my doctor and ask her if its serious enough for surgery, or just a big pimple?
Ah yes, it does sound like we're talking about the same thing!

My doctor didn't go into details about the surgery because it's not something I need to have done at this time, but it sounded to me like a minor procedure, not something serious. She did say that the surgery would leave a small, visible scar.

Here is some information I just found online on About.com:

"Sebaceous cysts most often disappear on their own and are not dangerous. Occasionally, they may become inflamed and tender. Sometimes sebaceous cysts grow large that they may interfere with your everyday life. When this happens, surgical removal in your health care provider's office may be necessary. Small inflamed cysts can often be treated by injection of steroid medications or with antibiotics."

So it sounds like a rather quick, in-office procedure and only necessary if the cyst keeps coming back and becomes a nuisance.

this boil or cyst, when it happens to pop(on its own), a combination of blood and pus does happen to come out, right? The reason for my asking is because I have the same thing, and I cleaned the area with an antibacterial soap (Dial). Well, a few hours later, I noticed I had a blood spot on my panties.  I didnt know where it came from so I checked in that area.  Sure enough, that little pimple, bump whatever it is popped and a combination of blood and pus came out.  It was real thick.  Its craZy because the sad thing is is that i have NO insurance.  Help!
Sometimes they do pop on their own, other times they never pop but just subside and spread out and flatten (like mine has done.)

The stuff inside is a combination of dead skin cells and oil from your skin, which is what the 'white' stuff is. It is usually kind of thick and oily when it comes out, and is sometimes mixed with a little blood.

I think washing the area gently once or twice a day with antibacterial soap is a good idea. You might also want to apply an antibacterial ointment to it like Neosporin to keep it from becoming infected. I like the Neosporin with Pain Relief, the pain relief medicine really helps.

Then keep an eye on it, don't squeeze it or mess with it other than cleaning it when needed, and it should subside and go away shortly. You can also try applying a very warm washcloth to the area for 20 - 30 minutes, this usually makes it feel better and will help it heal faster.

If it starts getting worse rather than better or if it becomes more painful, you might want to have it looked at by a doctor to make sure infection hasn't set in. But most likely it will clear up on its own.

Mine has improved greatly since last week, it it healing nicely and no longer hurts or looks red and swollen. What a relief! :-)

Hello, Just recently i noticed a dime sized black(ish) lump on my bikini line, I do shave frequently.  I had tried to clean the infected area, which did puss a little.  It has now sunken far below the surface.  The lump causes only minor pain.  Does anyone have any ideas on what this might be? Thanks!

I have the same thing. I think. It hurts SOOOOOOO Bad. It really hurts when my panties rub up against it. It seems like it getting BIGGER. I  have my hood pierced. Im wondering if this is the reason its causing it! Please help me out. It is affecting my sex life. I think Im scared or something.

HELP!
I am so glad to know that I am not the only one having this problem.  I keep getting them over and over again on my bikini line.

Was anyone who visited or talk to a dr/nurse given advice on preventing them??  I wonder if laser hair removal is an option.  At this point, I'd go for that if it would stop these painful lumps.
That's why I did laser hair removal for my bikini area, I am so tired of the lumps after I shave.  So far so good, and I don't have to shave very often anymore either.
Oh thank god there are others having this problem, mine has reoccured 3 times in the last couple of months.

I use hair removal cream instead of shaving, do you think it's that that's making it worse??
Hello!

I was pregnant and at the last two months of my pregnancy I got what I thought it was a pimple and I thought because I was so fat that my legs rubbing together that is got bigger. Afte the baby was born it was still there.   4 months later (8/05) I went to my internal Dr. and she said it was a boil and gave me some antibotics for 3 days.  I did make it very small but it didn't go away.  So I went to a surgen and he said that because it has been there for 4 months we should have it removed.  So tomorrow I go in to have it removed.

It is on my inner right thigh (like panty line) Wonderful place to have someone looking around at.  It is pretty small but it is really dark purple right now and looks like it is filled with something. The weird thing is that is gets small and then big and small again and now it is purple.  Weird I just want it removed.

So I will fill you guys in when I have it removed.  I think it is either an infected piece of hair or an infected zit.  Either way I don't want it there anymore.

I did the applying of hot compresses and it did make it smaller but I don't have all day to do that.  Wish me luck
Thank God

I have had this same problem for 4 years now. I have had it surgically removed 3 times, and it always comes back. One time it lasted for a year and I never saw it. The other two times afterward it came back in a couple of months. All 3 times it was removed by my OB/GYN. Now it just comes and goes.

The first time I went to the dr. about it I was totally freaked out thinking the worst, but the DR. acted like it was nothing and gave me some antibiotics. Well that didn't help.

I had swithced insurances and had to change doc's so new doc was like it's a sebacaues(however its spelled) cyst and we can cut it out if you want. I was like Yes for the love of god. That's when it stayed gone for about a year.

So when it did show its ugly swollen face again I had moved to new city. So new doc removed it twice and told me this last time sometimes they never go away.

She referred me to a dermatologist thinking they may have another solution. They don't , but this guy told me something no doc has told me before. He told me to let it fill up with fluid and then come have it removed. He explainded its like cutting out a ballon i.e. (cyst) as far as, its easier to see it if its filled up than when its busted. So that way he can make sure to get it all.

All three times I had it removed it was not full. So maybe he is onto something. I am supposed to call him to make appointment when it comes back. Well its back and unfortunatly I am gonna start so I will have to wait another week or so.

I was pregnant with my 3rd child over 11 years ago when I first noticed the lump. My OB tested me for everything under the sun and finally gave up and sent me to a Dermatologist. He gave a quick diagnosis using a word that I cannot recall at the moment, but explained that my hair follicles and sweat and oil glands get infected. In the past 11 years I have had MANY of these and always felt embarrassed and alone. I have had them ranging in size from a pea to a silver dollar on both sides at the panty line. The pressure some of them cause just before they drain is unbareable at times and I have actually found hairs in the drainage that never made it to the surface of the skin and caused the infection. I have also noted that I will have 2 or 3 hairs trying to exit the same hair follicle where these bumps appear. Also, they seem to get worse around "that time" and wearing any type of pad makes them worse.
I was given a topical Rx called Emgel that burned but did aid in drying some of them up, but the hot compresses always seem to offer the most relief. What is bad is when you have one and it has sweeled so badly and you know it will drain soon, but you still have to get dressed and go about your day in hopes that it doesn't drain while you are out and about. The derm told me that I could expect to also see them under my arms but never have. Just in the nether regions. "ARGH" It is so frustrating and like I said am still dealing with this after 11 LONG years! If anyone has any solutions, I would love to hear them!
Okay, found the name of it and since I haven't been treated in years, I guess a LOT has been learned about this condition. Google Hidradenitis Suppurativa and see if this applies to any of you. I am thinking that it's time to see a Dermatologist again.
I think I have the same thing that everyone is describing but it does not really stick out of the skin alot.  It feels like a hard knot under my skin when I touch it.  I made the mistake of squeezing it before I found this board.  Nothing else has came out of it, but there is definately something under my skin.  Do you think I should go see a doctor since I made the mistake of squeezing it?
I was reading all the post and seen that a warm cloth would help with the pain of the lump in my bikini area. As I read on further I decided to try the warm cloth, i added epson salts to the water and used the wash cloth as a compress. After I had finished reading the other post, I decided that I had held this long enough, when I took the cloth from the lump  I noticed that there was a lot of brown puss coming from the lump. I am so glad that I found this site and that you all have had the same problem, being that I don't have any insurance I haven't been to the doctor for this. Now I am wondering how long it will be before the lump is completely gone since the puss has begun. Please help me.

It has been my experience that when it drains it will usually heal up and fill right back up and the whole process starts over . When I apply hot compresses all it does it make it ooze/drain the pus.
I have the same problem.  This is my second one.  Last year I had the cyst and I had no idea what it was because it started out like any other ingrown hair so I assumed it would clear up on its own, well, it didn't.  My husband finally took me to the ER when I literally couldn't get up and walk around.  I was not seen by a doctor, it wasn't "important" enough for that.  So a nurse practitioner and a nurse came in to lance the cyst.  I was shocked because they said it was a minor thing and not to worry.  My husband went out to the waiting room and they proceded.  Without any meds to numb the area they began to slice alond the top of the bump.  They squeezed the area to drain all of the infection out.  After that they attempted to pack to opening with antibiotic soaked guaze, but I could not stand any more of this.  After over an hour of this, I left.

Now it is back and I want to try the warm compress natural way before it gets out of hand and I go back to the Dr.  I don't think I can bring myself to go back.  Does anyone how many days it takes for it to begin to drain and when you say bring it to a head, is this just a noticable area or an actual head comparable to that of a pimple?

Please help!  I cannot bear another trip like that to the ER.
I have had this problem for quite awhile. Never has it gotten to where I could barely walk. If I were you I would make an appointment w/your OB/GYN or family doc, or dermatologist. I hate the e.r. I always feel as if I am being rushed in and rushed out getting the absolute minimum care that is needed, plus most of the time you have to follow up with another doc anyway.

As far as not getting any numbing medicine for  pain, WOW!! hats off to you for standing it as long as you did. Everytime I have had it removed I get the area shot at least 3 times with lidocain.

Try the compress, but if it doesn't go down or starts to hurt more than normal make that appointment.
I have the exact same thing, a cyst apparently. I've had it, get this, a little over a year. The first few months it was flesh colored, fluctuating in size constantly.  Later it pretty much stayed a lump but still fluctuated, also gaining some color. Recently I began putting vitamin e skin cream on it, knowing vitamin e is great for skin..  Within a few days (coincidental?) it began developing a white area, today it opened up and secreted puss and then blood. I wasn't sure it'd stop bleeding, unsure of what it was (no insurance, sure you all understand that) so I showered and bandaged it.  It has stopped bleeding :D but it's still a lump so I'm sure this will be one of those "gotta remove it surgically" kinda things.. I hope not but having it this long and airing it often hasn't seemed to get rid of it. Least it finally did something but it's still purple. Course it happened today so I'll give it a few days and watch it closely. Cancer runs in my family so I was scared crapless at first, of course.  I'm thinking somehow that vitamin e really did something, but what? Anyone ever heard of using vitamin e on a cyst? Course I thought it could've been an abcess (abscess) if it weren't a cyst.  Same location as others mentioned here, kini line. How uncomfortable! I recommend giong to Target or Walmart and getting some of those clothe shorts. Not undies but shorts. So much more comfy! Take my word for it. 15 months of needing them.
Thanks for posting of your own experiences. It gave me some peace of mind! :)
Thanks also for understanding my alias.
xts
has anyone had one of these in the groin area but not on the bikini line that does not have a head but the reddened area is about the size of your hand, it is swollen, hurts like hell, and is hot -
The heat usually means infection and should be treated by a doctor with antibiotics. Good Luck.
I'm so relieved that I finally found information on this. Before I read this I had no idea what it was. I've had this for a little over a year now on and off, but the one I have now is so much larger than before that I can hardly even walk with out feeling uncomfortable. I've tryed the hot cloth and it helped a little but it's still there and painful, so I was just wondering if anyone new any herbal remedies or something that i can do besides getting the minor sugery. Thank you. :)
I am so glad to know that I am not alone with this problem.  I have had the same kind of "bump", but mine is under the skin.  I have had this for about 7 years, but never addressed it with the doctor because I was too embarassed.  I noticed it when it was about the size of a lima bean.  Now it is the size of a large marble.  I finally showed it to my family doctor and she sent me to a surgeon.  I went to the surgeon today and basically she said  what everyone is saying here ... an ingrown hair with a clogged subceaous gland.  She said that sometimes there is drainage from a pin-sized hole (I've never had any drainage).  I am having minor surgery to have it removed ... she also said that it is easier to remove when there is fluid in it.  She said that it looks like a large pearl and is filled with puss and blood that have a terrible odor.  She said that by removing it when it has puss in it she can make sure to get the entire sac so that it would not return (that doesn't mean another one won't show up!).  I finally got some of my questions answered and I hope this helps some of my fellow sufferers.
I have a huge cyst on my inner right thigh that is the size of a ping-pong ball. It is a soft lump on top of a hard lump and is soooooo painful that it is hard to walk. Currently, the area is red, with the top part purple. It is enlongated and rubs my other thigh when I walk. So far, I have been soaking in an Espon salt bath and/or holding a hot part water, part epsome salt compress to it. It is very painful. Of course, this is the one time in my life when I am without health insurance and will be for a two more months. Any ideas on home remedies and/or the cost of having this cyst injected with something by a doctor. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
I feel for you. I really do. You need to have it drained and I have no idea what it will cost. The only thing I can suggest is go to your local E.R. or one of those Med Centers that cater to weekend minor injuries etc.. that are usually affiliated with the local hospital and have it checked. They will drain it which is what you need. And will run some blood tests to make sure you have no infections in the bloodstream which can happen due to the type of infection it is.. They will charge you, but if you just pay what you can and have them bill the rest, they will have no problems treating you. And then you just pay a little every month.
You will probably get a prescription for antibiotics as well that will run you hopefully less than a hundred depending on what you can take etc.. Maybe even as little as 20 bucks. Sounds like you'd be about willing to give them your right arm to get this dealt with and I can certainly relate.
Hope this helps and let me know if/when you get it taken care of and how it went.
Good Luck!!
--JoAnna
Thanks so much for your response, JoAnna. I found a derm who is willing to see me tomorrow and bill me over the next few months. I realized that whatever I will have to pay will be worth the relief that I will get. I can't believe how painful this is. It is so tender to the touch that I can't imagine what it will feel like when she drains it or injects it. Is it ususal to have some sort of local before the procedure? Thanks. I am so glad that I found this forum!
If while they are preparing for the procedure, you don't see any sign of them giving you something to ease the discomfort, then simply ask. Tell them that you would like something before they begin. I know I've heard of some, mainly in E.R. situation, where they just drained it with nothing for pain. Glad you found a Specialist. The quality of your care will be much better than the E.R.
Please let me know how it goes, and try not to worry. You are going to feel so much better.
--JoAnna
Just got back from the dr. and I am feeling so much better. The whole procedure was a tad scary, but I survived! She gave me two numbing shots, which she warned me don't always work on cysts of my size. Then she cut into the cyst and let it drain while she and the nurse massaged the area. It was quite painful, but so worth it! After she felt that it had drained properly (about 10 minutes later) she gave me 4 shots of Cortozone (sp?) which also hurt pretty badly. She bandaged the area up and warned me that it might continue to drain. I have a perscription for an antibiotic, which I need to take 3x per day for 14 days, and an ointment to put on the area daily. She suggested that I clean the area twice a day with peroxide, put on the ointment, apply a warm water compress, and then bandage. The procedure and medications totaled about $200, without any insurance. Money that was WELL spent in my mind. Thanks so much for all of your help. I am so happy that this process is almost done with! Take care!
Katie:
Thanks so much for updating. So many don't and I am one of those that worries about how things turned out.
I am so happy that you had such a positive outcome and the things you wrote can be very helpful to others. So many women post about the same condition and are scared to go see a doc, so hopefully your experience will encourage others to get it taken care of.
I'm thrilled that you are doing better.
Take Care--JoAnna
Someone help me!
I have a lump near my genitals, it's about the size of a nickel.  It doesn't hurt excpet when I touch it.  It's quite hard but it can move around.  It started as if it was an ingrown hair, then it got bigger.  It's not a different color as the rest of my skin...i tried putting a hot compress on it for half an hour, nothing came out...i sqweezed it a little...still nothing :(  I does not have a head...I'm wondering how many times i have to put a hot towel on in order to get some results??? Can anyone tell me ?  This is really scary to me :(
I just so happen to work in an E.R. and have seen many different locations for an abscess on the body and i have to say that the groin area is the most painful and most re-occuring location. I have assisted both Dr.s and P.A.s in lancing(making a small cut into the head of the abscess to release the pus) these painful abscesses. Here's the thing....if you've gotten one before----you're more prone to getting them again....secondly---in areas that you shave frequently where skin tends to rub against something you will find that the skin is more sensative and becomes irratated more frequently. ALWAYS use a new razor when shaving....it will be costly but save you from this pain in the long run. Also...when these abscess drain the puss is contageous...so make sure you wash your clothes and that warm compress in hot water to kill any bacteria that may have contaminated the material. Hope all this has helped....
I have the same scenerio going on. I keep getting abscesses in the same spot, the groin area of my bakini line left side. it starts small and flat and eventually fills with puss and blood (maintaining a purplish skin color) until it starts to ooze. I clean it with paroxide, put first aid ointment and bandage it but it comes back sometimes in the same day. I've had this one for about 2 months now. It is painful to the touch and clothes touch =( . I've decided to see a doctor about it as I am starting to have a low grade fever 100.8. I don't know if it's related but it's worth finding out. When it eventually does heal it leaves a purple scar. ::sigh::
hi my lump is a little different - it is under the skin and it moves around when i touch it - it isnt very big probably the size of the tip of your finger.  it doesnt hurt and i really couldnt tell you how i found it but it just buggs me that it is there.  it is on my inner thigh where you have the most fat - right below your genitals.  does anyone know what this could be?
I have been fighting these off and on for about 3 years now. Each time they come back the infection diggs deeper into the tissue of your leg. I found that using a type of drawing sav helps to keep the skin from getting to tight and hurting really bad.

Finally after fighting it for so long my doctor has referred me to a surgeon so that we can have the gland removed in that section of my leg. I was told by one doctor that each time it comes back it will get worse. The last one that I had I could fell the infection half way down my leg. I had shooting pains with it as it is getting closer to the nerves.

I suggest for any of you out there that get these continously and are really severe push your doctor to send you to a surgeon cause they will only continue.
I have had chronic cysts for years. I am fed up with them. Did you have the surgery? How was it? Did it help? Have they recurred? Thanks
Hi, Im only 16 years old and i have swollen bumps on my inner thighs...and at first i didnt know what they were..so i would squeeze them just thinking maybe they were like pimples or something?..and then white pus would come out and then blood..but it would still be big, or sometimes nothing would come out..it would just stick further out in the skin. And right now i have about 5 or 6..not very big..maybe sizes of a pea or something? Ive always wanted to know what they are but I always forget to ask...or i dont think they are that big of a deal. Can someone please help me..i dont know if they are the same things as you guys are talking about..

Thank you!
Thank God for all of these commits as I know my enormous lump on my inner bikini line is not the parasite I thought it could be after returning from India OR some type of cancer that is eating away at precious necessities on my body!  I go to the doctor next week hoping they will just cut it out.
im a 16 year old female and my mother is in her last stage of cancer, cancer has always been in nearly all of my family members for as long as i can remember and last year when i was only 15 years of age i had to have my first mamogram (mammogram) because of such high risks because of family history. Last night i noticed this not about the size of a quarter on my inner thigh on that muscle that stretches when you try to do the splits or something, the only reason i noticed it is because i wiped after i used the restroom and felt it....it does not hurt or anything but the docters have always told my family that if it hurts its a good thing saying as it could be a lyphnode but if it dont its not so good.....any help here please?
Thank god somebody knows what it is like. Mine is like a purple lump, same size as a pea but its on top of the skin (if that makes sence) its not a huge lump it just sticks right out of the skin?? i get them all the time and they are horrible! i usually cover them with plasters and hope for them to go away.. does anyone have any idea what they are actually called???

Thanks xx
Well I am going to be scheduled to go in for surgery in the next couple weeks to put this pain to an end. The surgeon that I saw said that it is absolutely time to remove the problem. What he said is that they will go in and locate the root of the infection and take that out. Then they will have to scrape any of the tissue that is severly damaged. Yes it is going to be painful, but I am willing to take a couple weeks of pain if this thing never comes back.  

I will keep you updated if this works, for those of you that are getting these continously reaccuring and extremly large I suggest pushing your doctor to send you to a surgeon.  These run in my family and I will be the 4th one to go in for surgery for these.
do not squeeze these! its just like an infected hair and/or pimple ! But trust me ive had em for years off and on b/c my inner thighs touch and it irriates the skin after i shave. Ive stopped shaving now but sometimes still get them.
I doubt( unless I had one the size of a ping pong ball) that i would give my $ to  a dr to cut it out. It's no biggie , they are horrible little boogers but its ok!

Just dont squeeze them b/c it gets worse!!!! Even if you get all the junk out of it it will then be an open sore and you dont want the scars -def not THERE- trust me.And the scars go away very slowly eventually gone but it really takes a while !

LISTEN UP -
DONOT squeeze em dont pop em with a needle
DONOT touch except to wash !
DO use neosporin etc
DO wear something silky/satiny if can! I like a slip with legs or I'll wear stretchy cotton shorts under my skirts espeically in hot weather!
DO keep it dry
I have come across tis debate while surfing to try to find out why i keep getting abscesses on my groin area. So far in the last 3 years i have had 2 removed through surgery, several that have gone themselves and i presently have another one coming up along the surgery  scar tissue.
My doctor says that its not serious however that fact that he is always so egar to remove them and have them tested concerns me somewhat.
They are always very large and extremely painful resulting in me vomiting and being dizzy alot.
Does anyone know is this a condition or can they be prevented. I am sick of being on anti biotics all the time!
Also i have endometriosis and polycystic ovarian syndrome and i was wondering if there could be a link?
I have suffered from these cysts on my bikini line for years now. I had one removed surgically and while it did not come back, I have a scar and still get them in areas above and below the site. The doctor had to go into my muscle to clean out the infected tissue and walking was difficult for a week or better. My advice on surgery, don't let one get so bad that it must be surgically removed.

I went to the Dr yesterday and she said a lot of times the infection can come from your nostrils and the humidity. I wasn't sure about the nostril thing, mostly because I have been searching for a cure for years and have heard a lot of things that made no sense at all, but I did some research and find that folliculitis (an infection of the hair follicle) can be caused by a staphylococcal infection in the nasal passages. In addition to the compresses, she recommened cleansing with an antibacterial soap and prescribed Bactroban. It is a cream I put in each nostril for five days once a month. I will be very interested to see if this provides any relief. Neosporin with pain relief helps quite a bit.

I too had endometriosis prior to my hysterectomy and ovarian cysts, but I have no idea if there is a correlation. I can tell you that many of my family members suffer from cysts (both men and women) and my mom was able to alleviate a lot of it by using perfume/dye free soaps for showering and washing her clothes. She also quite wearing perfume. I don't get them anywhere besides my bikini line (and occasionally behind my ear if  I sleep with earring in) and think it is more associated with shaving and confining clothes than anything. And perhaps an infection in my nostrils. I will have to keep you posted on that one.
I am so glad that I'm not the only one going through this.  I've had the same bump for over a year now.  I have tried squeezing it, and sometimes puss and blood will come out and sometimes nothing would happen, except it would get bigger.  Well, yesterday I believe I squeezed too hard, and it popped, but from the inside, if that makes any sense.  Today, it is very red, swollen and has heat to it.  I've just made an appointment to the doctor for tomorrow a.m.  Has this happened to any one before?
Ah, I'm so glad this isn't cancer! I'm a tad overweight, so I was assuming it was something that came with the bill. I get them randomly, and not only on my thighs but also on my stomach, right below my pant-line.  the ones on my stomach are usually smaller, nowhere near as big as the ones on my thigh (especially right now - it's probably half the size of a golf ball, and yes, flat). I was sick of worrying about it so I googled it, and I'm so relieved that I'm not the only one. I always assumed they were pimples, so I often try popping them with a needle but alot of times it does nothing. I'm going to go try the hot towel tip right now.. Thanks to everyone!
About 9 months ago I got this huge puss filled bump on my bikini line the size of a quarter.  About 2 days after I got it it popped and all this whitish-gray puss came out.  It went away for about 4 months.  Now it comes bacck about once a month but not as big.  The weird thing is that when it pops puss doesn't come out it bleeds now.  And it takes about an hour before it stops bleeding.  It seems now that when it comes back it hurts worse than it did the last time.  It is getting to the point that I can't wear underwear.  Should I stop shaving my bikini line?  I never got it till I started shaving there?  PLEASE HELP?
a dermatologist can give you an injection into these bumps. the office i worked at used Kenalog. it caused the sack to scar down on itself. that prevents it from refilling periodically. chances are the if you get a cyst and it ruptures it will reform. we typically excised it under a local anesthesia. it takes a matter of minutes and requires one or two stitches typically. the stitches stay for two weeks or less.

if you are going to shave over them you have to be certain your razor is clean. pour alcohol over it(razor blade) prior to use. otherwise you are forcing bacteria into the hair follicles when re using razors. just rinsing does not clean it adequately.

oral antibiotics can help, the injection is usually effective, but as a last ditch effort you can have them removed. preferably by a dermatologist. if not removed intact or 100% then it can recur.
I have had this same problem for years and thought I was all alone and have been to embarrassed to tell the doctor. I am thankful for this site and am now going to make an appointment.
I came upon this site because I've got a bump that is killing me. It's on an outer lip (area I do shave often). I didn't notice anything and then one day I had a big, dime sized, lump under the skin. I noticed a few hairs caught so I pulled them out and made the mistake of squeezing the area. The next day it was almost double in size. Today is five days later. I went to the doc two days ago and got antibiotics (4X a day for 7 days) but two days in, not much progress. The lump is the same size, about 3/4 as long as my thumb, red and very sore (I think from the squeezing). There are two spots on it that release pus but not a lot. I've done the warm compresses every chance I get but it's hard when you're working all day. I'm worried that the infection is out of control. How long should I wait before I go back and talk about lancing it? I just want it to go away. It's in the worst area that messes up everything - sitting, walking, sex...
Well, I used the cream in my nose for 5 days and I can't say that it helped or not as I am healing, but no quicker than if I did nothing. There is an article in the Readers Digest about MRSA and the infection that the doctor was referring to with me. Scarred the you know what out of me. I am interested in the treatment that chellybeans refers to. I did try a dermatologist once, but this person tried to tell me I get these because I have an 'extra' layer of skin. I didn't find that to make sense or be helpful. I find that using Neosporin helps the most, and sadly not shaving. But I can't help but wonder how long I can use it. I have an appointment with a new doctor on the 20th and will post if they had any insight.
I started getting cysts when my father died at 19. First one on my face, swelled up the size of a goof ball under my eye. I went to the Demo and they shoot a steriod in it...it had popped the day before I went in. Now I have a scare from it or the steriod..not sure. Then I started get them in the inner thigh...that seems to be their favorite place. GRRR. I am now 28 and still suffering from them. I have noticed that they only come when I am stressed...like deathly stressed! Anyone know why? Why are we all having these all the sudden? I am grateful that it isn't cancer or anything really bad but still there has to be a reason why we would all start having these. I really think it has to do with stress.

I would not suggest having it drained because that causes some nasty scars. I have had them drained and now I wish I didn't because I have little indentions...wholes...scars around my bikini area. I wish I would of just let it go away itself. Ever since then I have...I just drink plenty of water, put hot compresses on it, and wait.....they go away naturally and leave no scars.

I read on this post that someone suggested Vit. E...I am going to try that. I know Vit. E works for scars...like stretchmarks.

Thank you all for posting. I don't feel so out of place and all alone. It's been a secret of mine for a long time.
Well ladies, I am a man who is having the same problem. I am sexually active and it is embarassing to have those be seen. Im guessing they are genetic because my mother gets them often. I have more than one and when they flare up, its almost impossible to function. They reoccur several times a year but im not a big fan of surgery.
Another man here who seems to have the same annoying lumps that come and go....I seem to get them when I am super stressed more often too.....I usually get them on the inner thigh....I had a cist removed several years ago but it was more like a pimple that wouldn't go away above the penis below the belly button on the hair line.  The doc said it was an infected hair follicle that became a cist....these lumps I am experiencing now are on the inner thigh and the more I mess with it the bigger it seems to gets....recently I squeezed it and it seemed to pop under the skin...now I wondering If I'm going to drop dead from a septic bacteria infection....no insurance either so I guess we'll see
Wow i am very happy to find this site, as i had no idea what was going on , but unfortunatly like a couple others i soaked in the hot tub and squeezed till i almost passed out, darn did it ever hurt.. I am going to go put a warm washcloth on it now andput some vitamin E cream on and see what happens (fingers crossed)

Plus i know how weveryone feels about the ER they make you feel like a piece of dirt when you go there like maybe i should get hit by a car first and then mention "Oh by the way while I'm here, could you take a look at my BUMP" lol

I will check back in a couple days and let you know my status.....
I've had mine pop under the skin last week.  I don't have any insurance either, but I went to the doctor, and I paid about $100.00.  I had an infected hair follicle, and had became a cyst, which I've had for about a year now.  The doctor prescribed me Cephalexin 500 mg, that I take for 10 days, 3 pills a day.  She said that it was supposed to bring everything to a head, and that it would all come out.  I'm on day 6 now, and it has gotten smaller and puss and blood has come out, but I don't think it's going to make it go away.  After the 10 days, I will go back, and see what else they can do.  
I have had cysts on my panty line off and on for years.  I have had three surgically removed, and now I deal with them on my own.  When they become painful, I place a hot/warm compress on the area for about 15 minutes soaked in a combination betadine scrub and chlorhexidine gluconate solution. I insert a sterilized needle into the center of the cyst and squeze the puss (having alcohol wipes available) wiping it with the alcohol wipes.  I use sterile tweezers to squeze the cyst, and I have found that oftentimes, a hard white "head" will come to the surface, which I pull out through the hole whenever possible. This "head" is the duct andI don't have the problem again for quite some time.  If I am fortunate enough to pull the entire thing out (like last night), I know I won't get one in that exact same spot again. While this goes against all medical advice, this is my way of dealing with these things.  I do not endorse at home "surgery" methods, but on a personal level, have found it to work well for me.
I have had a similar spot on my right inner thigh, and I wasn't sure what it was, but I have been PETRIFIED at what it could be, I was ruling out STD and HPV, since I have been with my boyfriend for a very long time, and neither of us have had different partners, and I was a little bit concerned about Melanoma (spelling?) since my dad had it years ago, and is apparantly heriditary.  This is my second time having this bump, and it has been in the same spot both times, as when it went last time (about 2 years ago?) it left a scar (?) that is purple and flat.  It grew to about 1/4 inch, and was red, but after much poking and prodding, turned purple...possibly bruised after trying to pop it?
It would not pop though...and after a few days, I tried poking it with a needle, still nothing.  Then on Saturday night, I tried again, (after a long day of it rubbing against my pants and hurting!!) and poked it with a needle in a different spot, and squeezed, it popped and blood spurted everywhere!  It was kind of thick, with some white mixed it.  It bled a lot!  So, I bandaged it all up, and didn't think of it again until the next day.  When I checked on it the next day, it had gone down a bit, and now, 2 days later, it is about 3/4 smaller. I am so relieved to see that it isn't as big of a deal as I originally anticipated!!  Am I going to get these on the same spot frequently?  Or can they go away and never come back?????
Any advice or comments would be appreciated!!

I've had the same recurring lumps or boils on my bikini line for the last year or so and it's great to get so much info finally!  :-)  I'm going to go and see my Doctor soon as well, but in the meantime I thought I'd share my experiences.  I also initially tried squeezing them and usually got a mixture of puss & blood.  

Recently though I've been applying Magnesium Sulphate paste on them which you can get from the Chemist, with a cotton wool pad or a large micropore plaster over them.  The Magnesium Sulphate draws out the puss and blood really effectively and seems to get rid of them quite quickly in my experience.  Also if you wanna use a holistic remedy, get an aloe vera plant and apply the gel that's in the leaves of the plant... it eases the soreness & reduces the irritation in general.  You can also get aloe vera gel from good health food stores but I reckon the plant itself is the best thing.

It's interesting what was said about the duct because I'm pretty sure the last time I squeezed one a duct as was described, came out so hopefully that one won't come back!  

I also had endometriosis a couple of years ago which I had laproscopically removed so dunno if there's a link but thought it was worth mentioning.

Anyway from reading through all the comments here I think the main bits of advice I've got is to go see a Doctor and get some antibiotics or get an injection into the boils to get the sac to scar in on itself.  And I may also look into getting my bikini line waxed in future cos if the puss is so contagious it's probably best not to use a razor at all.  Also to not squeeze the lump but just wait for it to pop (or not) by itself.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to share your experiences & hope my own will help as well!
wow, im really sorry that i missed this thread...i just posted a question not know that this was here. ive read a lot and kind of understand what to do now (mostly pray to God that it goes away! lol)  
what a help!
if curious, just check out my story. its a relatively new post.
thanks!
Checking back in to say everything is gone. I took the antibiotics for 7 days 4X a day like the doc asked and did warm compresses at least twice a day. One thing I found that worked that the doc didn't mention was once the pus starting to come out, I covered the bump with some gauze and used first aid tape to hold it in place. This helped the pain from underware or clothes rubbing it and I figured it would help keep the area clean. It really worked. It's worth a try at least. Good luck to all with similar issues. That was a very not fun week and a half!
The cysts on your bikini line you all are talking about---I have.  I had the surgery to have them removed.  Mine was an in patient procedure at the hospital and I had to stay for 1 day and I was off work for about 6 weeks. Mine got pretty bad.  I tried everything and nothing worked.  These hurt so bad when they become enlarge.  The surgery for me was on both sides of my bikini line and it is a difficult surgery.  I had the surgery over 5 years ago and the cycsts are back.  The surgery worked wonders for about 4 years but it depends on each person how they are going to respond.  This is not due to you NOT being a clean person by no means!! I am now scheduled to have just the areas removed that continue coming back.  This procedure is done right at the Dr.'s office.  I hope this will work because this is not a fun thing to have.  If your cysts become large please go see a Dr. to have them lance it.  This also is not fun to do because they can not numb the area once it is infected.  The shot they give you to numb it doesn't work after infection.  Once they lance it they will pack it with some string gauze.  All in all if you have these often go see a plastic surgeon or you GYN and they can guide you to what best way to handle these will be.
im soo glad that i'm not alone...but then im sad that more people have to deal with this.  :(   i was wondering if anyone got their sweat glands removed?  i think this is the only permanent solution and i'd like more info.  thank you!
What have you all heard about taking Essential Oils to helps with this problem?  Is it weight related?
i hear a lot of the comments come from heavier women that have their thighs rubbing together.  i know that i didnt start having the problem until i gained 80 lbs.  but one person here said that after losing the weight she continued having the problem.  and i just got one today (well it started coming in yesterday) because i was walking around a lot and started sweating and i guess the sweat and the rubbing together made it worse.  its so painful.  i've asked a few doctors about it, one gave me antibiotics(didnt do anything), the other said to lose weight, and the third told me to wash with hibiclens(i think thats how you spell it)....but i havent found it and i started using dial. i think it helps a little bit.  im dreading tomorrow because its going to start hurting when i walk.  :(  and is there a way to get rid of the scars?  my inner thighs look all dark and the skin looks horrible and crinkly in parts where the cysts were.  i hope theres a cure someday.
It's not a melanoma. Melanomas aren't pus filled boils or cysts. I live in Australia, the skin cancer capital of the world and have never heard of melanomas being hereditary. They're caused by getting burnt by the sun - sun exposure. If you google it your mind will be put at ease. :)
Sebaceous cysts are caused by a blocked hair follicle or pore and are filled with a thick cheesy type substance - sebaceous material, but can become infected. Boils are infected hair follicles or pores, which is caused by a staph infection. They are filled with pus and a core of pus. The staph is highly infectious and can be spread especially by doing unsterile 'home surgery', you must be sterile if you attempt to rupture the boil. You can also turn one boil into a carbuncle if you squeeze it and rupture the boil under the skin. Carbuncles have more than one opening/head to drain.
has anyone tried using acutane?  i was looking online at some other websites and they mentioned that it might help.  
I have had the same thing happen twice..both times occurred about 2 days after shaving and then having sex. I had just shaved one hour prior to sex, the friction irritated the area. I have had one on the inner thigh just by the bikini line, larger than a quarter. The one thing that helped bring it to a head faster, was placing a boiled tea bag on the area, the tea is a natural antiseptic/astringent and the heat circulates the blood in the area to force the infection out.

The one thing that I have found that halts the little ones from becoming larger is to use an ointment for hemorrhoids. It is a combination of menthol, calamine lotion,  and zinc oxide, the menthol acts a an analgesic/antiseptic, the zinc oxide dries up the area.

I got the medicine because of hemorrhoids, but one day I had nothing to place on the infected area so I grabbed my ointment, it worked. The small infected areas by the hair follicles did not get any bigger and dried up.

It is very painful but I cover the area daily with gold bond powder to ease the chaffing. Also I use witch hazel because it is an astringent to help bring the infection out faster; I am amazed at the stories on here who say they have had them for over a week, mine usually only last one week, I feel so sorry for those who have to deal with it longer.

Hope this information was useful, I dont mean to seem to be pushing medicines and ointments to anyone, this is just what has worked for me.

Take care all, Im so glad I found others who are going through this.

The ointment was called...Calmoseptine, and it can be brought at drug store pharmacies. Just by chance, it also worked on a large pimple I had on my chin, dried up overnight. I have since kept this jar of ointment handy and apply it right after I shave, and I never had another problem with them except for one time when I forgot to use it after a shave and then had sex.
Hi, i'm planning on buying Calmoseptine....can you just apply it everyday?  or do you have to wait till you get a cyst?  i actually get hives(on my outer thighs) when i sweat and i'm thinking about using it for that also...sounds like a great product.  i'll tell everyone how it goes.  :)
Hello, I usually apply it for the first 4 days after I shave my arm pits and bikini area, and also if by chance I start to see something that resembles the start of a pimple (which in those areas for me usually turn into a boil like mass) I head them off before they have a chance to...it dries it up and nothing comes up and even if there is an actual pimple-like spot, it stops it from getting bigger. As I said, this only happens if I do not use it after shaving...but since I have, there has been no more forming. It is kind of like medicated desatin diaper rash ointment.. Calmoseptine comes in jars and tube size, and it says on the jar that it is used for minor cut/scraps/burns also.

I liked this ointment so much, that for the first time I was so pleased with a product that I actually wrote to them! I keep a jar or tube handy.
I stand corrected. Yesterday I was at my GP's and saw a poster on melanoma. Apparently you can be predisposed to melanoma, so extra care is needed (if someone in your family has had one) for your skin when going out into the sun. :)
so i put on the calmoseptine for the past two days..  the first time i did it i had a small bump...and then today it was gone.  i put it on just in case now. i know i get it when im sweating and my legs rub together...so i'm hoping that it will help prevent it.  im using very little of it because i'm scared that it will stain my clothes...it hasnt though.  so thats a good thing.  oh, soi got a small jar of it...it came out to a little over $5.  and they had to special order it, so thats why it took so long for me to use it.  anyway, i'll keep you guys updated.  i think you guys should try it out.  worse thing that could happen--it doesnt work and you can return it.   :)
i get these things a lot of the time too... usually once every month or two, and not too big. just big enough to know it's there and be a little painful. i used to worry that they might be cancerous till i popped one and discovered it was like a pimple. my mom and 2 or 3 of my uncles have had at least once sebacious (sp?) cyst, which are non cancerous and pus filled as well. i wonder if maybe this is what i keep getting? mine are always on my inner thighs, and the ones on my family members have been on the neck for two people, on the head for one, and on the back for another. anyone gone to a doc and been told it was a sebacious cyst? i don't want to go to my doctor for this, i don't feel comfortable with doctors and this is not an area on my body i'd like someone poking around at
I seen your comment on sweat glands and wanted to know if anyone had them removed.  I had mine removed because it is not always your hair follicles that can cause this.  It is also do to your sweat glands clogging up.  This has nothing to do if you are over weight, skinny people get this also.  This is a malfunction in your sweat glands.  I had surgery to remove my sweat glands about 6 years ago.  The surgery is drastic but hey I was done with dealing with this problem!!  I chose surgery and it went well but now they are coming back.  I am going in this month to have them removed again but as an out patient and in the Dr.'s office just with a local.  They will just remove the area that they keep coming back in.  I really am a strong believer in the surgery though.  It was wonderful not getting these for awhile but in a few places they came back.  But over all surgery is the way to go if they come back frequently.  I'm hoping that once I get this done I will be over with it for good!  One thing about the surgery on getting your sweat glands removed----they can't see your sweat glands so they may miss some here and there.  It is not full proof by no means but there has been great success in this surgery for many people.  Just something to think about.
In the past I had two separate purplish bumps on both sides of my lower abdomen, just above the bikini line.  I figured it was just from sweating when I saw them but what was strange and made me realize it wasn't a pimple is that there was no puss and when I squeezed it, thinking that is what it was, only blood appeared and turned it purple and it took months to go away.  It has been a couple of years and I still have the scars.  I just found one yesterday on my inner thigh and again, full of blood, purple and large.

Have any of you had the bumps remain filled with blood for a long time and then create a long lasting scar?  I never see puss, just blood.  Also, anyone else having problems with the abdomen area?
I have read all of your postings and truly appreciate all of the information you have shared. Thanks so much.
i'm a little freaked out right now. i have been getting these bumps on both sides of my inner legs since i was 14 yrs old. i am 19 now and this past one was no different than any of the ones in the past. it was one of teh biggest ones that i have had though. it turned a little purple but i didnt touch it. one day at work i felt my underwear a little wet and went and checked it out. well this bump had popped and was leaking. the weird thing is was there was a hole big enough to see it. its been about 4 days noe since it has popped and the hole has gotten bigger. i can stick a q-tip in it now. i am really freaked out and i don't know what to do. it doesnt hurt, it just freaks me out everytime i see it. i dont want to show anyone like my mom or a doctor but i know i need to get it looked at. do you guys think there is an alternative to having it looked it?
I, unfourtunately am going through the same thing as you guys. I have the most annoying overgrown cyst on my inner thigh that reoccurs every other month. I just tried the hot compress and at this moment I'm trying Colgate flouride toothpaste, I am uninsured as well. I know it's good and cheap for drying out pimples and zits. Well, I'll keep you guys posted on my results (fingers crossed)!
Wow, I thought I was really the only person in the world who experienced this. I was so embarrassed and scared that it was something transmitted sexually, that I lived with the most PAINFUL, DISGUSTING CYSTS on my bikini line from around age 13 to 20. Finally, I went to the dermatologist and discovered that it was Folliculitis, or Sebaceous cysts. They injected a needle into whatever I had at the moment to make them go down. But they just kept coming after I left. I couldn't handle it anymore so I finally started using my head and just saved up for laser hair removal. And let me tell you my life is absolute HEAVEN now. It was all from the shaving. Go figure.
i had this big circle bump on my inner thigh for about a couple of months to a year and its just now starting to hurt for the past week its been hurting.but last nite i took a perkaset to clear the pain but it didnt work it just made me sleep better but when i woke up this morning i proceeded to scratch my balls and they were wet and i hurried and ran to the bathroom because i've been thinkin it was a STD and my penis had been leaking but when i looked... it had nothin to do with my penis it was the huge bump which had popped on its own wit blood and yellow puss,Someone please let me know what is goin on????...I am an uninsured 19 year old male and this is some scary stuff.
9/14/07

I am so happy to see that there is a forum for this kind of thing! I have been having the same problems with these cysts for years and I too thought the worst! I was embarassed to go and see my own doctor and thought God maybe I had herpes...so I went into a clinic and they looked at it and told me that was what they thought it was, needless to say I freaked out! I was just devastated and thought that my man had cheated on me because I knew I had been faithful and not gone anywhere out of the relationship...well I kept to myself about this and would not let my man even look at me or touch me until I got a second opinion from my OB/GYN that I normally go to, so I set up an appointment with him and he ran a series of tests and I was relieved when he told me my STD tests were negative and that what I had were cysts...and they do come back and back and back I have 3 now...I am not wasting time or money to opt for surgery especially since I was told there is not any guanantee even with surgery that they are gone forever...I probably do what most docs would not want me to do and I wait until they get large enough, some are even the size of ping pong balls at times, I get they on my outer thighs, inner thighs, between my butt cheeks and sometimes even under my breasts, I think alot of it is that I am a larger woman and busty as well and when it is hot I get sweaty and you can not sit in the shower 24/7 keeping sweat free and cool all the time...so I usually sit in a warm tub or shower and wait until I get out and then I do what docs advise not to do and I pop them myself, I popped one this evening and it was really thick blackish blood with a mix of puss, one down 2 to go...they are so painful and embarassing that I feel like I have a disease when it has been confirmed that I do not...what I didn't ask was if I were to have sex and my leg rubbed on his and perhaps some of the area drained could it be given to my partner? I ended up having problems late in that relationship and have been celebate for a while now and I have had a platonic relationship for some time that both of us want to take to the next level but I am so embarassed by this problem and do not want him to see that and run for the hills thinking the worst....I feel terrible and it has taken alot emotionally out of me and my self esteem....I wish there was a real cure for this but does anyone know what actually has been documented that causes this, I never had this before kids....help I am desperate for answers and embarassed to no end and not to mention fed up with the pain of these ugly things....thanks.
Everything your describing I have experienced and still am experiencing even ones in the abdomen area...I just am devasted for all of us going thru this and I did not realize how common this is until recently but that does not make it any less painful or embarassing.
geesh, lots of people dealing with these things!!!  Me too...thankfully it doesnt hurt too bad...it is on bikini line, so it doesn't get "rubbed"  Anyways, Im a picker and have picked and poked the hec out of it.  Every morning I look forward to the new squeeze, lol. I was just hoping Id find teh ingrown hair, but it is no where to be see!!!  After reading some of the posts, I see that it isnt good to squeeze, so Im going to try to stop and do the hot wash cloths.  Thanks :)
Hello, I have a bump in my genital area. It's flesh covered. The area around it is sensitve and slightly swollen. when I got out of the shower this morning I noticed it oozing a small amount of white fluid. I've had this type of bump occur at least two more times in the last 4 months. When I used hydrocortisone, it dried out the bump significantly and when hot rag was added it gradually dissapeared. I didn't really worry much about it until it came back. I'm praying that it's not an std because A.) I haven't had unprotected sex and B.) I haven't displayed any other symptoms that occur with something like hpv or herpes. I guess it could be an in grown hair, but cysts do run in my family. I would love a second opinion, because I'm scard out of my mind!!
I've been reading through the comments and I wanted everyone to know a bit of what I've noticed.

This problem mostly occurs in women
Especially women who are overweight (skin touching and rubbing)
And whether they know it or not, women who suffer from :
endometriosis and/or polycystic ovarian syndrome
(overweight women are more likely to be displaying symptoms of  P.O.S.)

I have had these cyst like bumps show up on my buttocks, inner thighs, and for the first time this year, underneath my right breast (where it touches to my rib).

I almost thought they started appearing when I gained 60 pounds 3 years ago. But I just reminded myself being a kid popping one on my bum. Which leads me to believe that I do have *GASP* Hidradenitis Suppurativa. Which is what makes me sad.

But through my teenage years I didn't have really any break outs. It really wasn't until I gained weight / the same time my period became irregular - that I began seeing them again, and having severely painful ones. I even had one the size of a golfball drained. I was running a fever - so I knew there was an infection my body was fighting off, and embarrassed I took myself to urgent care and had them lance it. Embarrassed because I felt like they were thinking poor hygiene had caused it when I am very clean.

I do find that stress has made them worse. And they are in such a taboo place that they are hard to explain to others. I managed to hide them from my BF of 4 years by telling him I simply wasn't in the mood to have sex when I had one. I couldn't explain them to him and I didn't want him to think I had an STD. Well I told him last weekend, and he understood. He also asked me to see it, but I told him to no. The scarring is so ugly that I'm afraid it will ruin his sexual appetite. One more of the many woes of this disease.

I do find that it helps me to clean with bar soap on my inner thighs and bum because I dont normally use it (as it dries out my skin so badly). wearing cotton clothing on these areas ( I had gotten once spandex/lycra blend boy cut panties for christmas once and they were a disaster!) is always a good idea.

Never EVER cover them with a Band Aid, it makes them worse. I cant stress that enough. It's what caused me to get the golf ball sized one I had to have drained.

But I do think if you have these Symptoms:

Weight gain
Irregular menstrual cycle
Hair growth on thighs, chin, stomach
Thinning of scalp hair

You have a hormonal disorder.

Treatment for P.O.S. may also help with your cysts as I have found in one article that for women with Hidradenitis Suppurativa doctors have prescribed higher doses of estrogen intake like they do when women have P.O.S.

I am not a doctor. But I am going to see a doctor about the possibility of my having P.O.S. and H.S. I am also going to discuss with him a possible link between the two. At least in my case. As I strongly believe these problems are the over abundance, or lack there of - of certain hormones in our bodies. Since so few of us ever reach out and seek medical attention because of the stigma we have over it in the first place - so little research and testing has been done to figure out the how's and why's and yes, cures to this debilitating disease.

For every cause there is an effect. Well we know the effect, so what's the cause?

Either way something isn't balanced and that's why my body isn't able to stave off these outbreaks of cysts/boils/abscesses or fight off the ensuing infections.  

Anyway I'm glad I found you all. It really took a special kind of pain away because I kept them a secret. Even from my own mother. Thank god for the internet !!
where did you guys buy the calmoseptine?
i went to walgreens and looked for hours but could not find anything.
I have had a huge boil on my bikini line, went away with antibiotics, had one in my armpit, went away on its own, then after a particular grueling week of biking and running (I do triathlons) recently I noticed a bump on the area in my crotch where my seat rubs and cycling shorts rub a bit. It got huge and so painful, could barely walk for a few days. It ruptured, had a lot of blood, and then got another infection around it (another small one forming right next to it) and I am on week 3 with this thing.

Went to docs (ob/gyn due to locale) and he said "that's a cold sore", we'll do a herpes test. Okay, I am now waiting for test results and freaking out, crying night and day and wondering what my husband will think when I tell him I may have a STD and what will happen to my life. The doctor didn't care that this was the third or fourth such "thing" I've had in about 5-6 weeks. Does this sound like a cycst/boil too? It is in an area that I did shave for a race- that wasn't the brightest thing to do!

I feel a little better after reading this forum but won't relax until I get those results for HSV in 48 hours!
I am a guy who has suffered from these for the last 4 years (i am 32 now). I used to be obese and upon losing a lot of weight i started to have these painful lumps occur on inner thighs. I always put it down to the fact that i was into bodybuilding and i have larger thighs than normal. I am very glad to have found this site as my doctor didnt really know what they were and i felt very alone in my suffering. Sometimes they get big and swollen and become very painful which causes me to have difficulty in walking. I have been lancing them myself with a steile blade and this brings immediate relief although i would not reccomend anyone else do it (especially if they worry about scar tissue).
I went to Sav-On and the pharmacist had to special order me some.  So i would expect the same thing to happen at walgreens.  its a little embarrassing cuz they ask you what it's for...and i think its known for incontinence issues.  LOL.  oh well, im hoping they will think i'm buying for my grandma or something.  

And Surfers girl...I really liked your post.  i remember being 9 yrs old and having one on my inner thigh and popping it.  and then i didnt get one again till a couple of years ago.  

my boyfriend of 9 years has no clue!  he keeps asking to see me in the nude...but because of those scars...im embarrassed.  he's really understanding, thank god, but i wish there was a cure.  :(
I dont know if you guys know about this site.  and they are doing some free stuff to people in michigan!  yay!!

http://www.hs-usa.org/

http://www.hs-usa.org/news/hfhs_laser_study.htm
Thank you all for sharing.  I am releived to find out chronic boils on the bikini line is common problem. In the begining I thought it was and STD and freaked out.

I am 37 and have been getting them regulary for about 3 years of varying sizes and have been to embarrased to go to the doctor.  Twice they were the size of a golf ball in a really bad spot which made walking painful.  Overall they run there course, pop and heal up.  The scarring is the worst part- they leave darkened skin behind making the area look unattractive.  Any treatments for lighting these scars??

Thankfully my boyfriend has a recurring cyst on his lower back so sort of understands.  Although rather than admitting i have painful lump down there --yet again- most times I try to avoid sex.

But like others have mentioned - I started getting these since putting on about 60 extra pounds and I have always been in the habit of shaving the area completey.  After reading this I am never using the same shaver twice again.

I have seen a reduction since I switched to dial antibacterial soap and would recommend it.

Thank again everybody- I just wanted to say your not alone with this problem.
Do any of your lumps ever itch?
Ok this problem first occurred when I was 11. I had a huge cyst and was so scared to tell anyone. One day it was so bad ( it was the size of a golf ball ) that I had to tell my mother. I had surgery which was awful but I was relieved after that.

I am now 22 and have had this problem for over 10 years.. and looking back now I would say there are 2 MAIN reasons for this..

Weight & Shaving..

When I was 16-17 i lost around 2 stone and my problem dissapeared on my thighs. I had nothing for over 2 years and it was great.. Until when I was 20.. i put on over 2 stone and it started again. I have now been on Weight Watchers for 6 months and I hardly ever get a problem.. between my thighs anyway.

I then looked back at a patern to try and work out why I was having these cysts on my bikini line. I never use the same razor twice so I new that wasnt the reason but then I realised i only ever got this when I shaved. So I started waxing.. did so for 3 months and have had nothing!! yay!! until last week... i made the mistake of shaving as I was in a hurry and guess what popped up the next day!!! a nasty purple cyst!!!! I WILL NEVER SHAVE AGAIN!!!

This may not be the case for some people but I have had this conditin for years and I am now finding a way to prevent it... Take a look at your life style.. If you are over weight do something about it.. everyone is different but this has worked for me..

One more thing, My boyfriend has been so supportive... If you are embarrassed or have not told your partner about this then you are with the wrong person!! FACT! We have a great sex life and nothing has changed.. this is just an unfortunate condition.. but hey it could be worse! :-)
Has anyone ever had one of these lumps biopsied?  I found 1 lump 2 years ago, but it wasn't draining or red, just tender.  It was deeper under the tissue.  It was removed and a biopsy done.  Everything came back normal.  Now, I have 2 more lumps in pretty much the same area.  Just wondering if anyone else had lump removed, not drained.  
Ok does anyone have this same thing, on my upper thigh near my bikini area there is a lump that is soft and it hurts, there is no head like a pimple only an opening where the ingrown hair was, if you have the same thing please tell me what you did to help,
thanks
Dear haydenone, this whole conversation is about those mini cysts. I came to conclusion that I need to stop hair removal in that area for the situation to get better. If you shave that is perhaps that worst you can do to trigger your ingrown hair to cause the infection. Apply hot compress, and wait till it drains. Good luck.. mine was there for almost 2 months now, and doesn't look like it's going away. I really don't feel comfortable anymore for my bf to go down on me, and it sucks.
i have all the same symptoms as everyone else, the painful boil that blisters and then pusses out and bleeds, then leaves a purple scar on my inner thigh where ir occured (sometimes on the right sometimes on the left)... obviously a lot of ppl have experienced this, but does anyone know what it really is? My ex g/f has HPV could that be the reason? or is it just a cyst or what, ive had this for 3 years and i dunno what to do
and yeah i am a guy and i know this is a womens forum but i still need help
I think I am having the same problem, only I have several lumps.  One is not on my bikini line but on my butt.  I popped one and it flattened out and scabbed over but it is still painful.  I have since developed 4 on my inner thigh.  Does anyone get several of these things?  If not, does anyone have any suggestion as to what I might have.  The bumps are about the size of a dime and they feel kind of hard or thick when I press on them...and they are pretty painful.
also..has anyone found any images that look like what they have...if so will you add the website information.
I too have these cysts on my inner thighs right below the bikini line. I was diagnosed with endometriosis at the age of 12 which resulted in 9 surgeries to try and remove it, all were unsucessful. At the age of 24 (I'm 34 now) I had no other choice but to have a full abdominal hysterectomy or I was going to die from all of the internal bleeding. I was never able to have children before I had to have the hysterectomy so the stress, sadness, etc. made everything so much worse. After the hysterectomy I started going through menopause and gained 60 lbs. in 4 months! My point to all of this is that I didn't start having these cysts until after I had the hysterectomy, had gained the 60 lbs. and was overcome by grief of not ever being able to have children. So I agree that stress & hormones play a huge role in the cysts we are all getting. I get these cysts about 3 times a month. They are extremely painful and will get huge, the size of a golf ball. They are also leaving very ugly, purple scars on my inner thighs. I started using an OTC ointment called "draw out salve" (Ichthammol Salve 20%). I buy it online from Wonderlabs.com (I have not been able to find the cream at any pharmacy) and it's only $4.00 a tube. You simply apply the ointment to the cyst, cover it with some sort of bandage and leave it overnight. The next morning my cysts are smaller, empty and starting to go away. I also use a hot compress after I remove the bandage to ease any pain and leftover puss & blood. Until I found this ointment I was miserable. At times I could hardly walk. I understand what you all are going through and I hope that this information helps.
I agree with RachelRane. I've been getting these cysts since I was about 14 (i'm now 24) and at that time, I was a healthy or some would consider, underweight for my age and size, did not shave because i was way too young to even think about that and had no hormonal issues. So why am I still getting these? God only knows and now that i'm pregnant, these cysts have actually gotten worse and i'm in extreme pain. Walking is a pain and just the feel/touch of it against my panty hurts like hell. I've had 3 surgeries to get rid of them but they only froze it and extracted the puss. They didn't take out the sac. So ladies and some gents, if you do have surgery to get rid of them,make sure you get rid of the sac too because apparently, get rid of the sac, you will get rid of the problem. BUT only in that spot =)
Someone had asked about an image of these cysts look like ... http://dermatlas.med.jhmi.edu/derm/IndexDisplay.cfm?ImageID=-1838955152 is the closest that I have found.
chamomile helps. in europe, i think, they have a lotion made with it. in the states you can get chamomile tea and soak the hot compress in that... seems to draw out the infection faster. not sure about getting them to stop recurring...
I've been getting these frustrating things for about the past 3 years.  I am 45.  I've been overweight for the past 6yrs and had an endometriosis last summer due to my severe menstrual cycles I would have.  I rarely shave my legs.  Have never shaved my bikini line only shave my underarms.  That's where I will get a quarter sized cyst if and only if I used an antiperspirant a/o deodorant.  If I use just body spray under my arms,  I don't get them.  I do however get them on a/o around my panty line, buttocks and inner thighs.  and on occasion on my abdomen.  I thought I had some kind of rare disease or somethin....  Recently I have been running a low grade fever and feeling tired lately this time with this outbreak.  Has anyone else suffered these symptoms as well?  I am gonna go online too and find  a place to purchase one or both of the above mentioned medicines.  And hey guys you are not alone, my hubby gets them once in awhile too.  but he just blows it off.  I don't know how but he does....  His sometimes look more painful than mine.  lol.  thanks for all the ideas and input.
I have the same big purple lumps on my inner thighs, but I also have them on the lower part of my stomach. I thought they were there because i'm a little overwieght. I'm too embarrased to show my doctor because I thought she would say something like I don't keep those areas clean enough, but now I know it's probably just ingrown hairs thanks to all of you. Does anybody else get them on their stomach? Thankyou for your help!
Sounds like sebacious cysts.It can also be spelled sebaceous cysts.
I had something similar to that, it ended up being a Barthonyal(spell check?) Cyst, which had to be surgicaly removed, it was very painful and took a week to recover, couldn't sit or anything.. It was soo big, it was the size of a golf ball by the time I went to the Emergency room, it grows fast.. Not sure if that's the same thing.. just thought I would share my story.
I'm not sure exactly what kind of cyst I have, but it appeared overnight as a somewhat elongated, hard, red bump on my bikini line on my left side. It was painful & hot to the touch and so I went to my doctor less than 2 days after discovering it. He said it was infected, put me on 2 different kids of antibiotics for 7-10 days and said I may need them for up to 2 weeks. He said if it got more painful or red to go to the hospital to have them drain it.
By the next morning I was in so much pain I couldn't sit down! At the hospital (in BC, Canada) they did a 5 minute procedure where they put an IV in my hand, put me to sleep for all of 5 minutes maybe and lanced the cyst. They said that when they are like this that regular general aneasthetic (sp?) freezing won't work and they have to put you to sleep to not feel the pain of the lancing. They told me to continue the antibiotics and to use a pad to place over the wound as it bleeds out the puss & blood. It's still painful, but not quite as painful as it was before they lanced it.
Ever since the minor surgery though, I've been fighting a low-grade fever for a couple of days. I was sick with borderline pneumonia and whatever virus I had also caused an excruciating headache. The stress of being sick to begin with may have caused the cysts, but either way they are freakin' painful! I will definitely be trying the hot compresses.
I am wondering, however, how long does it take for the bleeding/oozing to stop? They never told me at the hospital. Now I think another one has appeared right above the one that was infected. I'm so uncomfortable it's hard to sleep, walk, sit, enjoy every day life. I'm also wondering if the antibiotics really do anything for these cysts? Should I see if he'll refer me to a surgeon to have the cysts completely removed? If so, how long will I be out of commission?
I'm tired of going to my doctor all the time for all these little problems that are making me miserable!
Hi, I found a lump on my bicini line on the left hand side, its hard and little sore to touch, and it is a bit bigger than a pea.  I had not read this site, but when i was in the bathroom only 15 mins ago, i ws trying to squeeze either side (softly) to see the width of it when POP, it burst and this yellow puss came out (thick and yuck) and a good bit of blood too. But i've just read on this site, DO NOT burst it, can i ask why??? i'm worried now that i've done something stupid.
Hi Everyone,

I am a bit worried over a similar bump on my bikini line.

It's about the size of a small pea. And is in the inside of the skin.

Purplish in color looks like a broken blood vessel.

It doesn't hurt at all. Only hurt after I was squeezing it and playing with it.

It's been there a few days and hasn't gotten bigger.

The color seems to have gotten lighter maybe.

I am just scared.

Any advice?

I cannot get to a doctor anytime soon.
Hi there,
The reason you shouldn't pop them is because the puss that comes out of them is contagious and will cause another one to pop up. I popped mine for a long time before being told not to. Since I have stopped popping them & stopped shaving my bikini line I haven't had any more. Sometimes they will pop on their own and if this happens clean up the puss with a warm cloth, put some anti bacterial ointment on it and cover with a bandage. Make sure to wash your hands so you won't spread to anywhere else. The best thing to do when one starts to pop up is put a warm, as warm as you can stand it, compress on it. That should help it go down and also with the pain. I hope this helps. RachelRane
What you are describing seems to be the same thing we all have. When I started getting these cysts, I had the same thing you're describing. It seems that the more that time passed and the more of these cysts I got, that's when they gradually became bigger, more painful & more purple in color. Many people have them removed but in most cases they come back. Since you can't get in to see a Dr. anytime soon, my best advice to you is to use a warm compress, never pop them and be sure not to shave in the area you're getting them in. Antibiotic ointment can be useful also. I hope this info helps you. RachelRane
Thank you. My thingy seems to be fading. The color has gone down a lot. Yesterday I was looking at it. And it started to bleed.
I have been dealing with these cysts for quite some time now...i think its been about 3 years and some change. I have always been careful not to shave in the opposite direction, use new razors, not pop them etc. My family dr. told me they were just ingrown hairs, and that might very well be true. It's so embarrassing to tell/show a dr. let alone be intimate with my boyfriend. I have horrific scaring on my bikini line on both sides (the lump has alternated every once in a while). The scars are a darker pink shade than my skin tone. The scar tissue is sunken in and like craters so to speak. I haven't had any in a long time...knock on wood lol but I was wondering if there is any type of cosmetic surgery available to salavage my skin so i can wear a bikini comfortably. Do you think having a surgery like that could prevent further cysts? Any info is greatfully needed! :) thanks

oh...is laser hair removal a good preventative measure as well? Price is not important. I just am sick of dealing with this anymore
I have had this problem for over 17 years now and the only thing that works short of a dr visit is ichthammol ointment 20%.  You have to get this from the pharmacist but do not need a prescription for it and it only cost at the most 5 bucks.  Wash area with anti-bacterial soap, apply heavily and cover with bandage.  Should extract anywhere from an hour to 24 hours.  

Also I find that a weekly bath with a 1/2 cup epson salt, 1/4 cup baking soda and 1/2 cup sea salt or dead sea salt works well for a nice detox bath and helps prevent them.  Where as I use to get them regularly, I now only get them once or twice a year.

For those of you who have commented on having this for month and appearing to become infected...go to the doctor!!!!!!!!!!  They can turn into a staph infection and lead to other illness.
thankyou so much for that tip. i'm definitetly going to try that! there's nothing to lose after all except for the bump! lol
Really glad I found this, especially since my search (google) was generic and didn't think I'd find anything.
I also have a large lump on the inner part of my thigh.  Noticed it a little over a week ago, and at the time it was small and not really painful at all.  Now it's about the size of a ping-pong ball.  It's now at the point where it's painful to walk and sit down unless I do so in just the right position.  I'm going to try the warm cloth as well as get some good anti-biotic cream and hopefully that'll work.  Don't have insurance and on the edge of broke (student loans :\) so going to the doctor is very much a last resort.

Oddly enough, I had this same thing a little ways under my arm pit about 6 months ago.  Thought it was perhaps from a spider bite and some weird reaction.  Little bit of anti-biotic cream and a couple weeks it was gone, with just a small scar.  Not really an issue because of where it was, but the current cyst is likely going to be much more difficult to deal with because of where it is, and how much I have to walk around (irritate the area) for work.
how many people who have this problem have had kids or are pregnant? I'm just wondering because of the comment posted by someone about how people that have POS (postcystic ovarian syndrome?) can be linked to getting these bumps. it concerned me a bit.
sorry, polycystic:)
I am so grateful to have found this forum. You have all been so helpful. I too have recently found a "cyst" in my inner thigh and it has been scaring me. It all makes so much since now. A couple of things that have been going on with me that confirms what others have said.

1. weight gain recently
2. I was diagnoised less then a month ago with 2 ovarian cyst and a uterine fibroid. I'm also pretty sure I have endometrosis (next on my list to take care of) You can imigine the pain I've been in every month. Last month I almost called 911 due to crazy severe cramping.
3. was put on birth control a few weeks ago to help the cysts. (I'm 36)
4. I also have been highly streesed lately.

weight and hormones do seem to play a part. I also wanted to say that it not only feels good to know I'm not alone. It's also very confronting to know that I'm not the only one who gets very embarrased by this stuff. I guess this is a lesson learned for all of us. Do not let embarrasment overcome you. I'm just sorry that so many of us have had to suffer from this.

Mine does not seem to be crazy big or infected so I'm going to try the hot compresses with anit-bacterail soap and ointment and go from there. If it gets crazy big, very painful or gets infected I will see a doctor.

THANKS AGAIN ALL!
Oh thank god, I'm not the only person that has had this problem... I recently noticed a lump on my inner right thigh thigh, just where the bikini line is.  It hurts whenever I wear really tight jeans or if I walk for long periods of time.  I'm on the swim team at my school and I haven't been to practice in the last 4 days.  I was wondering what I can do to make it better within the next couple of weeks before my big swim met.  It also recently started to draining something that looked like blood, but isn't red.  It's more like an orange color and is really sticky.  My older who is a doctor said to apply a hot or cold compress on it for an hour or two and it would be fine... I want to know if this is the right thing to do.  Please help!!!!!!!!!!
I have had these as far back as I can remember...probably (though in a milder form) since I was about 12. I currently have a gumball-sized on right on my bikini line...it was there a year ago, went away (remained purple, but flattened), and then made a roaring comeback around November.

I do agree that weight plays a part.  The only time in my life I can remember NOT having these was 5 years ago when I lost 30 lbs. I've since gained it back, and the problem has resumed.

This is such an embarassing condition and I've always felt so alone and defective...so nice to know that I'm not alone! Thank you all for sharing!
OMG!  I'm so glad I came across this forum!  I have been suffering with these abscesses/boils on my bikini line too and the one I have right now is so painful.  My primary care doctor put me on antibiotics today and he said if it doesn't get better, I need to see my gynecologist.

Although I don't know if the gynecologist is the right person to go to.  Shouldn't it be a general surgeon?  I almost was very tempted to go to the ER the other day because it was so painful.

Please let me know what kind of doctors you all went to see to have this treated.  

Thanks and good luck to all of you!
thanks for sharing your experiences!
seriously before i found this website i was kind of freaking out
i too have been getting these lumps around the bikini line on and off and in the last few days i got another one and i just totally freaked out - i thought i had a deadly disease or something - and i was too embarassed to talk to anyone about it especially a doctor - oh no the thought of it just freaks me out - especially cuz they are guys - i just don't feel comfortable!
I've read a bunch of people's experiences so just to make sure i got things right
it is caused from shaving
and thighs rubbing each other - (caused by weight gain)
and i should get some antibiotics
right??

thanks for sharing your experiences
I started with one spot, then two, then 4. I dealt with the pain for about 4 months. I didn't have any idea what it was but it hurt a lot when the spots grew larger. I read all of your posts about a month ago and I tried a lot of the things you all mentioned here nothing seemed to work then I started this... Every night and morning I swab the area with bleach on a cotton ball. I don't wipe off the bleach I just let it dry. After about two weeks I really started to notice a difference. It's been a month now and two of my four spots are gone the other two no longer hurt and are very small. My only fear when I started this was that the bleach would hurt my skin however I had no problem. I'm sure those of you with more sensitive skin need to be careful with this one but it's worth a try. I'd like to see if this works for anyone else. Those of you who have had this a lot longer then me might be able to tell me if yours goes away for a while then comes back? I'm still not sure if this is a cure or just the normal trend of the condition for the spots to go away.
I am sooo happy I found this forum. I have been worried out of my mind all afternoon over this lump. It comes and it goes. I don't have health insurance either, and need to get some advice. My lump is really bothering me right now, and I noticed my thigh is red and warm, prob about the size of a grapefruit. it looks like my thigh is sunburned, but I haven't been in the sun. I know it's related to this lump. I would assume the heat means that it must be infected, and  I have a prescription for Valtrex, because I am rather prone to cold sores. Since I don't have healt insurance, I really don't want to go the doctor. Would Valtrex help to knock out the infection??? Pleaase advise.
I'm so glad I found this.... It all started over a year ago... ingrown hair, fiddled with it, burst under the skin, turned into a cyst.

Cyst didn't hurt it was more of a cosmetic nuisance - it was the same color of the skin, never came to a head, nothing... so I finally had it lanced drained some months ago at a dermatologists office.

It just filled back up again, to my annoyance... so these past days as usual I kept fiddling with it.

THAT'S when the fun (not) began... It swelled up HUGE and got red and even though my thighs don't touch it got so swollen it did touch the other thigh and hindered walking...

I put hot compresses on it (really really hot) and sometimes with epsom salt... eventually it came to a head, then got ANOTHER head and the initial head seemed to go down....

I couldn't take it an hour ago and washed my hands, priced a tiny bit at the head and it was like opening a flood gate, it was good I was sitting over the toilet (yuck!) because it just all kept coming out.... I kept drying it up with tissue.

I rinsed in hot water with epsom salt quick then rinsed in the shower and put some soap on the cyst and rinsed it more... then I put some neosporin and bandaged it up.

Do you think I should see a doctor????? Is it a boil? An abscess? A cyst? Should I try to squeeze and drain it more tomorrow or just keep putting hot compresses on it or just keep it bandaged up or what???

Help I don't want to make it worse.
i had one a while ago and i put an antifungal cream on it and it never came back. it actually came to a head and everything drained out. so try an antifungal cream the next time it happens you might be able to get rid of it for good.
by the way don't wrap it up. it has to heal from the inside out. if you wrap it it will scab over and never heal on the inside and you will have a bigger infection than before. just keep cleaning it out and putting neosporin on it. if it doesn't start healing in a few days go have it checked. but i think you should be ok now.
Hi guys,

I have the same problem and indeed, I am feeling much better and less of a freak to see Im not the only one. It's a nightmare, really. I have more lumps, and they burst almost every day but by night, they're back, red, swollen, soar.
I tried to think really hard of what could this to. I remembered few weeks ago I started Diane 35, the contraceptive pills. Then I found this forum and I noticed someone else mentioned this too. I also noticed other coincidences: long walks, tight jeans. But I want to ask you all, are you guys on contraceptices? Could this be it? If this is the case, I'm done with it, I'll find other ways to protect myself. All I want is to be able to go to work without feeling so uncomfortable all day, and be able to stand up without feeling pain in my thighs, and wear my jeans... Not mentioning my partner knows about it and I can imagine how "hot" this is for him.

Carla
hi,
i am really disgusted with myself as of now. i know that it is not my fault (as i am a clean person and such) but for about the past year i've had one big (about the size of a nickle i guess) purple lump in my genital area. i DO shave (i'm a girl) down there and i thought that it might be an ingrown hair, but it popped with barely any pressure after several months and it finally went away, but there was no hair that came out? i have heard that with ingrown hairs there is an actual hair trapped in the "bump", but with mine there was no hair inside (as far as i know). i still get these every once in a while, just not as big, and they're just small (smaller than your pinky nail) and dark purple, and i can't pop them (not that i want to).
most of you people on here seem pretty wise, and i'd rather get some information from you all before i go to a doctor just to pull my pants down and be embarrassed.

summary: small (size of a nickle or smaller) bump, dark red/purple, when the big ones do pop, a red-pinky fluid comes out (a mixture of pus and blood) but no hair. could this still be an ingrown hair? please help! :(

thanks,
clea
Hi again,

I just wanted to let you all know that on the day I posted my last comment (4 days ago), I stopped taking the pill. The swell is almost gone and I am able to walk without discomfort. I hope this was the cause (hormonal changes), and I hope I can prevent this from now on. Im not sure if it was just a coincidence, but Im sure happy to see it going away.

Carla
I'm so glad to find this site to know that I'm not alone in the dilemma.

I have the same bump on my upper inner thigh almost to my panty line.  Until I came her I truly thought that it was a pimple and tried to pop it.  I was thankfully unsuccessful, but noticed that it caused it to become this purple-ish color that concerned me and brought me here.  

Mine never drained until last week or so, and I don't know what caused it.  I just found tiny blood spots on my pajama bottoms and then realized that it was coming from the bump.  I immediately washed it with a warm washcloth and Dial soap and shortly after the blood appeared to have puss in it.  Though during this whole process the bump never grew in size or hurt that much.  Though after the incident I noticed that the purple color finally went away, I'm assuming from the blood that drained out.  My roommate thought maybe the pressure from sitting in my wooden desk chair might have prompted it.

However, today I was at a waterpark and slipped while getting out of a raft and scratched the area, while I wasn't bleeding while I was at the park, after I changed into dry clothes when I got home, I noticed blood on my pajamas again.  Again, I washed it with Dial soap but nothing other than blood seems to be coming out of it.  I don't know if I should be concerned, or not.  I don't know if the I scratched the exact spot when I slipped or the chlorine caused it, or both.  The bleeping seems to be subsiding but I put some antibiotic ointment on it to be safe.  I skimmed the boasrd to see if anyone has experienced anything similar, but didn't find anything.  Has anyone experienced this kind of thing?  
I also suffer with these cysts and I'm so glad i'm not alone, there always seems to be a hard lump deep in the skin, but nothing ever comes out......the one time I did pop it it just bled, but i have found some pain relief and a way to stop it rubbing, doesn't sound nice and certainly doesn't look nice but place a corn plaster over the area (you know the ones that look like giant polo's)...........ah relief!
Hi I'm another person in the boat with the same problem for years, just wanted to say if the area does get very swollen and red and extremely painful go to ur doc. Yesterday I noticed after shaving I had which looked like to me an ingrown hair, cysty looking thing throughout the day it just bigger then speading from a size of a pea to the size of my hand hot painful and I was having nite hot and cold sweats. I though this is more than just a cyst or ingrown hair. I went to the doc and told it was cellulitis, Now im on antibiotics hoping that will help so I dont end up in hospital on antibiotic drip. so please be careful proding at them cos they can get infected and wash with an antibacterial soap. Hope this helps
I am almost 20 years old and I just got another one of these things on my bikini line. It is so stressful to be in this situation while I am at college and so far away from my family doctor and just becoming sexually active. I am soo happy that I am not the only one.
Symptoms
Starts out as a small red bump about dime size swells into a larger bump about the size of a quarter (sometimes larger) this takes about 24 hours.
Lots of irritation, hurts to touch, move, or sit cross legged.
Feels as though I am being pinched very hard

History

In June 2005, I had a cyst on my bikini line. After going to my family doctor I received a prescription, but, in the matter of 48 hours the cyst became significantly worse and I went to the emergency where I got the cyst lanced. The wound was packed and I continued going to the hospital to have the packing replaced. Being 17 and having different doctor look down there each week was pretty tramitizing I couldn't help cry every time. During the summer of 2005 I had another small bump but it disappeared relatively quickly after I took the prescription. The doctor I went to in the summer said that I had another relatively small cyst, but, I should have it surgically removed. I went to see another surgeon in September she gave me a topical prescription, and told me to wait until the swelling went down before surgery otherwise the surgery would cause major scaring. The topical prescription caused the swelling to go down and seemed to prevent any more cysts from arising. After seeing this surgeon I went to see a gynecologist (recommended by surgeon) who told me that I should go see a dermatologist. The dermatologist who I saw did not look at the wound or cyst and said I should just continue using the topical prescription. On May 9th 2006 I went to see my family doctor to get another prescription of the topical stuff but she gave me a different set of pills to take. In October 2006, I got another bump so I went to see a different dermatologist. She prescribed me Minocycline and gave me a referral to have the glands removed. When I went to see a surgeon he recomended having the glands removed would be to drastic and said that should have them lanced again at this point there was one on either side of my bikini line. When I asked him why this was occuring he told me that it happened to obese people (I weigh 120lbs and I am 5"7) I don't think I am obese in anyway!!
June 7th 2005  Prescription
 Apo Cephalex 500mg
June 9th 2005  Prescription
 Endocet 5mg/325mg
-- During the Summer of 2005 I worked at camp where a doctor there gave me another prescription I believe it was tetra-cycline.
September 22nd 2005  Prescription
 Dalacin T 1% SOL 60mL
May 9th 2006 -  Prescription
 Gen Minocycline
October 2006  
Minocycline

The derm also suggested I use a wash called tersaceptic. I recently ran out and being a poor college student I didn't buy anymore.. I am going to try the hot compress again and buy more tersaceptic wash. I really thought I was all alone in this (I was in tears tonight convinced that they were going to spread all over my body) I am also going to go see a natural patheic doctor just for trial sake. I will let everyone know how that goes. I love to swim and I can't wear a bathing suit when this occurs.. I feel like the doctors don't care because it isn't life threatening but they don't understand that it really affected peoples lives.

After reading all/most of these posts I think I have found some common denominators about what is causing these problems.
1. weight gain - alot of people commented on increase in weight or pregnancy. (this gives us all another reason to be self concious of our weight) but I definitly have put on some weight in the past few weeks.
2. Stress
3. Being on the pill
4. Tight fitting or new jeans - I know alot of people commented on tight fitting jeans, but after years of having this problem I think it might also be the dye in new jeans. I probably buy new jeans once every 6 months or so, and I recently bought a new pair. I don't wash them before I wear them for the first time either.. something to consider

Things that work temporarily
Warm compress that brings cyst to a head
surgecal lancing
topical creams or washes

Things that don't work
oral antibiotics

Please add or provide any new information. I know my number one priority is finding a preventative method or a quick disapearing method of getting rid of this annoything thing!
i've been searching about our condition.  it's called "acne inversa" and they say that if you do laser acne treatments that it will help and remove some scarring...and to do this while taking acutane.  

and for really severe problems that they'll do skin grafting.  :(   that'd be horrible.  anyway, if i had money i'd do the laser treatment.  
I think I have something similar too. Its on my left side on my bikini line or the crease between my thigh and groin. It i really painful to toch the area and hurts when I walk too. If I press hard I can feel a lump deep under the skin is this a gland? or is it a cyst the skin doesnt look particlularly red its all deep under the skin you cant really see anythin on the surface should I get it checked out? i will appreciate any comments and have been reading most of the feedback on this
I think that what you are all talking about is what I may have. (At least I hope so!) I have a small bump on my inner right bikni line area. It is only tender when touched and the size of it varies. It changes in color from red to purple. It doesnt look as if anything is about to drain from it, it just looks like a big pimple with no head. Its all under the skin. Could also be mistaken for a bug bite looking thing. Im starting to get a little freaked out by it, but everyone I've asked tells me not to worry because it doesnt seem as if it is herpes or anything like that. Everyone seems to be saying that it is important NOT to squeeze it, keep it dry and clean with some sort of antibacterial soap or cream? Any comments greatly appreciated.
I am so glad i found this site.  About a month ago i notice a bump right by my hip.  I thought it was just from my tattoo that i had gotten recently, but soon after i noticed i had 2 or 3 that came for a bit and then they disappeared.  Recently i noticed a bigger one right on my inner thigh and this one didnt disappear.  I'm going to the doctors tomorrow so hopefully I'll know more...but it really started to scare me at the beginning
i'm 16 years old and just 3 days ago i noticed a lump the size of a dice on my bikini line...now i dont shave "downstairs" so i dont think its an ingrown hair. Its very painful especially when I walk and its rubs alot. Its very red and a watery fluid has came out of it when ive messed with it( i know i shouldnt have but i thought maybe it was a boil or something). Can anyone help its causing me alot of pain and its not something i want to go to the doctors about as im only a young woman and dont really want to get my trousers down and just show them a lump down there lol
i'm so happy i found this thread! i have what everyone here has described and i first noticed it a couple months ago during my first year of university... it started out small and is now the size of a nickel... ive been putting hot compresses on it but it wont come to head.. during the time that i got it i had a weight gain of about ten or fifteen pounds... was just going on birth control and stressed out bc of school and whatnot... i ended up losing the weight when i got back from school and i went off birth control... but clearly thats not a cure for it lol...  i went to a walk in clinic a few weeks ago because my doctor is on vacation... i was worried that it might be cancer or something... and she said its probably just scar tissue... but after reading this im positive this is what it is... glad to know im safe! lol... and dont be embarassed about going to the doctor theyve seen everything its not a big deal!
Hey everybody
what im about to tell you people is priceless.. your gonna feel like you've struck gold and its so inexpensive you wont believe it.
for the past year i have been breaking out with boils like you wouldnt belive i had alot of big ones that just wouldnt go away.. they were so painful and nomatter what i did it wouldnt go away otherwise they would just shrink and then come right back .. and we are not talkin a boil here and there im talkin about boils in my private area! ouch! so i went to the doctor he gave me anti biotics and told me about this stuff to buy and told me if it didnt go away with in the week i have to go to the hospital to get it lanced eww. needless to say i was very scared and upset and never thought it would work always fearing the worst. so i went to the pharmacy i didnt need a perscription and it cost me less then 5 Bucks! and it works great almost over night although you might have to apply it about a week or so dependending how big it is and how much puss it has, the stuff is called.. now make a note write it down youll thank me for this the stuff is called Ichthammol ointment. its a black drawing sab that you apply on the boil .. first clean it with anti bacterial soap apply it on the boil real thick and then put a bandaid to cover it so when it pops it wont spread if your lucky this stuff just may pop the whole thing over night!! i love it .. i keep a supply of it in my bathroom at all times cus you never know .. trust me this stuff really works. and im glad to be able to come here an tell you about this product!!
thanks for the information! glad i are'nt the only person with this problem, nice to know what they are cheers. annie
My Walgreen's has ichthammol ointment.  You need to ask the pharmacist, they keep it behind the counter. It's only 3 something and no shipping/wait. I'm sending my husband to pick it up now!  
I have the same lumps. However, mine aren't tender but they itch something terrible! Could it be the same thing?
I am a male who also gets these.. well I have had the same one for a few years now. I have a daily "get ya through the day" pain helper.

GET some Monistat Soothing Care Chafing Relief Powder-Gel. It is in a purple tube and is a life saver when it comes to skin rubbing against anything.

It may not help with getting rid of these, but it does make my days much easier.

Good luck to all.
Thank you thank you thank you.  I had a boil pretty much on my private area at the bikini line.  It was huge, painful, and it hurt to walk, sit and even lie down.  I hadn't been in this much pain in a long time.  I was completely miserable and without health insurance. So today (really yesterday because it's now 2 something in the AM) I went in search of Ichthammol ointment.  I talked to the pharmacist at Rite Aid and she had no clue if they carried it or not and directed me to the wall along side the pharmacy.  I found the Rite Aid brand called Draw Out Salve.  One of it's ingrediants is Ichthammol!!  So I go home and wash the area with antibacterial soap and then followed the directions on the Draw Out Salve.  It was hard to bandage because of where the boil was but I did my best.  I applied it twice throughout the day and by 1-1:30 AM, I smell this horrible smell and couldn't figure out where it was coming from.  To my surprise the boil had burst and all the gross puss and God knows what else had started coming out. I was a mess and totally grossed out but the area is now a million times less painful.  It still hurts a little but not like before and now I can walk,sit and lie down without trouble.  I'm going to sign up for COBRA and get a doctor's appointment just to be safe but this black salve is a miracle.  Thanks again Mandy for the great advice.  I recommend that everyone run out an get this.  If your pharmacist isn't any help just look to the area that has the ointments for itching and poison ivy and lice medication.  That's where I found the salve.  Good luck to everyone.
i have this red lump beside my anal hole (between vagina and anus...is it called the perinium???). It is the size of a quarter and when i open the anal skin i can see how big it is . it is not coming from the anal hole...its just right beside it... I hope its not anal cancer or anything.... lately i've been having vaginal bleeding between periods and also brown discharge. I dont know what it is....and i cant even find a picture or something like this on the internet....please help. has anyone had this before? i also have anal pain once in a while... i also used hemorrhoid cream for it from my doctor , but it didnt go away.. does anyone know what this could be.?

im glad i read this thread. i also had this twice now.   im just wondering what antibiotic should i take to get rid of this...

aatheena
I am sure that weight is not an issue nor does it concern if you're a clean or dirty person. I have neither lost nor gained weight since I've had this bump. Mine is right on the panty line as well. It feels hot at times and is sore and deep purple/blackish. It isn't that big and seems to be deep under the skin. I've had it for about 6 months or so. I read that comment fromConcernedTexas on here, saying if we've had it for a long time we need to see a doctor because it could turn into a staph infection and lead to other illnesses. I really think that is true! I think it may have been an ingrown hair that got infected and turned into a cyst--or whatever I don't know! All I know is that these past few months I have been getting real, real sick. Off and on. I am normally one of the healthiest people you will ever meet-never get sick or anything. So these past few months have been terrible. I am really worried that it has turned to staph or a different infection and is the cause for my recent illnesses. Something is definitely wrong for me to be getting sick because I never am! Does anyone agree that I need to go to the Doctor? If so what kind of doctor? A specialist?
I have similar issues to what everyone seems to be saying. I have a big lump on my inner thighs in the same exact spot on both legs. I really thought this had to do with my legs rubbing together but I am not sure. On one side, the lump has gone down and now the one on the other side has become the problem. It has opened up and flattened out and resembles more a sore than an burst boil. Its got a deep red crater and it is so so painful. Im not sure if it is a boil although it does seem like it could be. I just don't understand why I have two in the same exact spot on both on my thighs. Does anyone have something like this?
I am male, 26 .

I've had a bump under my armpit for a few days now and went to get it cheked out today. For the past several years(5-7) I have been getting ingrown hairs and pimples on my inside + outside groin, as well as on my buttocks and other areas of my legs.

I never bothered to get these checked because of how embarrassing they were but as soon as I had my bump under my arm I went to get it checked. The doctor prescibed me an antibiotic called Cephalex(500mg 3 times a day for 7 days). I ended up just going to a medical centre. Today is the first time I've taken the medication so I can't really tell anyone how it worked out but I will try to post more info as the days go on.

Something that I found interesting was that a week ago I cut my left hand on glass, applied a bandage and cleaned it and now my left arm pit has a bump. Before I even told the doctor about my cut she said 'sometimes you can get infected by a cut or scrape from a cat, glass etc', then i showed her the scar on my left hand from the cut and she said it was either from the cut or an ingrown hair.
I have had reoccurring cysts on my inner thighs and occasionally my armpit for over 4 years before I was even sexually active.
They are the same that all of you have that grow very big at times, I have heard that these Cysts need to be drained which is why I have avoided the doctor.  I am terrified of needles its a very bad phobia. Is there any other option and is it contagious.  What are the chances that I will have this for the rest of my life.
I have a large lump under my skin on the joining of my groin and inner thigh, near the tendon and above it is a big white pimple like lump, then around that is tiny red lumps with blue-ish black spots about the size of a pinhead scattered around it. I'm 16 and have only had a smattering of sexual contact. The lump only hurts when I touch it but the black spots are worrying me and the lump is quite large. I'm not sure what exactly the whole combination is....
Wow am I glad I read your postings.....I get cysts on my inner thighs all the time and always try to drain them.  I get out the pin and poke at it, not a good thing I'm guessing.  They are so horrible, is there anyway to prevent them?
Oh man, I'm so grateful to all of you. I'm 18 and this thing scared the **** out of me. I think I had it once before but it was small, it didnt hurt and i didnt notice it until it was ready to blow. I popped it and squeezed out all of the puss. I just assumed it was an ingrown hair cuz I get them alot. But today, I noticed I was in pain in that area as I was walking. I came home to find that I had a huge lump on my inner thigh. It sticks out a little but I can feel that it extends very large under my skin. I got nervous so my boyfriend decided to google it and we found this. Now im sitting here with a warm cloth between my legs. Attractive, huh? Anyways, I'm gonna do this for a few days and see what happens. Its just nice to know I'm not alone. Thank you. :)
im 19 years old I have a small lump ( three thin  lumps) in my vigina (vagina) and im very scared help me plz plz it does not heart me at all . the color of it was quite dark but now it's lighter ( dark red) . I discovered it since 6 months I did'nt see a Doctor but I wanna know wgat is it ? plz help me I can't consintrate on my exams much Im afraid !

If u know anything tell me im waiting !
I am a nurse-the hard lumps you get are very common. They come from hair follicles that get clogged and then infected. Try using an after shave lotion after shaving. If the bump does not come to a head try using a warm moist compress, and then try to drain it by gently squeezing. Then apply some anti-biotic ointment to infected area. It may cause scarring so use some neosporin.

I hope this helps!!
i had the lump on my bikini line that everyone is talking about. mine went away. some puss came out of it. This thing was pretty big too lol. i was limping all around. but now i have like this bruised color mark down there. the pimple/ingrown hair has been gone though. i even went to the gyno and she said nothing about it.... am i ok?
I have two huge boils on my inner thigh right now and I never told anyone about it because I was deeply embarassed about It I assumed it was because I was sexually active but I got them even before I became sexually active ....One time stands out in my mind the most. It was a absolute horror ...Im a single mom and I was living in a shelter with my two kids..My daughter went to school everyday and got therapy ...So I got this HUGE boil right near my panty line. I literally could not walk ...Picture me walking around my room naked with my thighs spread apart as wide as they can go with tears running down my face..It was so painful I contemplated going to the emergency room but reality set in ...how would I walk with my two kids to the bus stop to go to the hospital? Who would watch them while Im being treated? I was in such searing pain and agony>I didnt take my daughter to school nor did i facilate her therapy for two days>I refused to answer my door anytime anyone knocked by telling everyone I was in the shower

Later that night I wake up and my entire thigh was covered in blood. The boil popped during the night...It was so much blood like ....childbirth all over again ..Ive gotten a TON of boils by than but I never had anything like that happen to me...I got up cleaned it and put some vaseline on it ...Went to sleep and within the next week or so It healed up  It was really painful and gross . I havent gotten a boil In several months but Im getting them all over again .It's a pain and I suspect this is something I will have to live with the rest of my life and Im only 23! Ive gotten a boil actually on my vagina a few times and they heal and they return...havent gotten one in a long time and it healed up okay ...it's not noticable to the opposite sex lol
I hate these things! Im about to try to warm compresses and hope that pops these boils on my thighs and go on a friggin diet tommorow
Last September I had several of these boils, all on the outside of the vagina. It got to be so painful that I went to the emergency room. This was AFTER seeing a gyno who recommended I see a dermotologist who gave me an ointment for it. (Didn't help)
The surgeon in the ER inserted a needle and withdrew so much puss, mixed with blood, from several of the boils. She recommended I sit in a warm tub with epsom salts several times a day and wear a large sanitary napkin while these drain. Four days later, I felt such unexpected relief. When I went to the bathroom, the sanitary pad was unsightly because they all drained at the same time. Had no problems until last week when this began again. I'm so glad I read all of these comments because I never knew anyone else who had this! I'm glad that I read not to squeeze it because I have been, trying to get it to come to a head. I'll now try the warm compresses and see what happens.
I had this same thing, and it was there for about 2 months.  I finally went to my doctor, he gave me an antiobiotic and some cream they went away completely in about 2 weeks.   He said it was an infected hair folicle most likely.  I am so relieved.
I have the same thing :(
It's huge :( I noticed it about 3 days ago, The day before there was nothing there!Then the day i noticed it it was already the size of a quarter, Now in these last couple of days it has gotten so big i can hardly sit  :(
Today when i went to put a warm cloth on it, It noticed that there was a area that looked more red an raw. (skin not broken) So i figure i would try an pop it or release some of the fluid that was in it.. I couldn't manage to squeeze it enough to make anything come out so i poked it with a clean needle. I figured i would have puss or a fluid come out before blood but there was nothing other then just blood..if i gently feel around the area i can feel a large lump inside.. the lump it's self is not painful just the outter ridges an the highest point of the lump.

Does anyone have any idea if this is the same thing you guys are talking about here?? It sounds very similar other then i didn't have any pus an that i can not pop it, And trust me it's well big enough that it should have popped.

I really rather not have to see a doctor if i don't need to, The area makes me feel really uncomfortable :(
im 17 years old and have been sexually active for about 2 years. I've been having sex with my boyfriend without a condom for a year now, atleast twice a week, as i am on the pill and he has had no previous sexual partners.. but today immediately after sex i found a lump just like the ones described here on my bikini line where my leg meets my groin on the right hand side, im worried that it will re-occur and it is very painful but iv used the hot towels and some anti-septic cream and it doesnt seem to be coming to any sort of head??

i live in Ireland and i dont think we have most of the products people have mentioned.. also i only weight 8 stone and have for the past few years so im not at all over weight as many who have described their  symptoms here may be... is anyone here from Ire or the UK who could maybe suggest any other medicines or remedies?? other than to stop shaving the area.. which i do regularly...

many thanks for all of your posts, they have been very helpful!
i think i have the same thing but its been on my leg for 2 yrs or 3 sumthing like that i went to the doc they told me it was a  gland prob they gave me meds but it never went away.... im 20 yrs old and the other day i noticed that there was sumthing cumin out about where the lump was anyways i have had this thang on my leg for a while now its gone away i would have went to the doc but i cant pay for that........ so  i think i had the same thang!!! oh yeah it did hurt sumtimes but most of the time i dident even feel any pain at all...... it was a lil bigger then a dime...................
I've found a lump the same as "irishgirl" as its just a little bit in from my bikini line and its the size of a pea under the surface of my skin, there is no head but it is very painful to touch. I can feel a dull ache down below when i'm sat at work all day. I'm 30 and don't have any kids etc but two of my nans sisters died of ovarian cancer, one when she was 34! So i've been worrying like mad. Reading some of these replies has helped, although many people are talking about boils on the suface and the one i have is below the skin. It got to the point where I had a nightmare last night about dying! I'm going to book into the doctors tomorrow to put my mind at rest!
Its not uncommon for them to be below the skin. I have had reoccurring boils for some time. After they go away you can feel what feels like a core under the skin. Some you can squeeze to get the gunk out of them and some wont. I seem to get boils on my inner thighs from where the hem in my jeans rub. It happens more in the summer and drives me nuts. I owuld not be to concerned over it. If you can squeeze it and it pops it will go away but can come back. I find dit better to get the stuff out when it finally breaks by squeezing it then to leave it in and torture myself more. The faster its drained the faster you can get on to recovery. If it is one that I think will subside on its own I find clothes that let the skin air out works best. I have a baggy pair of cotton pj shorts that i run around in at home. Those seem to work as they dont iritate the area and rub the skin raw. best of luck to all of you, I know how much it *****. Someone else told me to try boil ease. I am going to go pick some up and see how it goes.
i have had this! the first time it happened it got so sore and infected, i thought my partner had given me and STD! i went to the gyno to have it looked at and he said it wa an infected hair follicle from shaving there. he prescribed me an anti inflammatory antibiotic and told me if it didnt go away when that was finished that he would lacerate in the office for me! yikes!
thankfully, it went away with the meds and has only happened one more time in two years. but was not so scary the second time around.
best thing to do is to always make sure ur razor is clean and has not been used by anyone else who uses the shower (thanks honey!) and to make sure the area is not already irritated from chafing or being hot in the summer before you shave.
Good luck and thanks for posting this------i thought that i was the only silly girl it ever happened to!
:)
Well Ladies....I'm finally free of these painful lumps!  My dermatologist said it's called "hydradenitis Suppurativa".  She gave me creams and oral antibiotics but nothing worked.  I finally went to a general surgeon and she removed them last week.  I had a total of four painful lumps.  She did it under local anesthesia and it didn't hurt at all.  Until the stitches come out, I have to keep clean, put Neosporing, and take oral antibiotics.  She said they will never come back again...at least in the spots where she removed them.  What a relief to be free of these lumps!   If you're fed up, I'm telling you, go to a general surgeon and get them removed once and for all.  Lancing them only give you temporary relief.  You need to have the follicle surgically removed.

Hope this helps!

Mari
i get these roughly twice a year. The first one I didn't know what it was or what to do about it, it got so painful to walk I had to go to the doctor. He lanced it and it went away. About 6 months later I got another and found out from a lady I work with that she gets them too. Since then I've had 4 more in the last 2-3 yrs. What I do (to make them drain by themselves) is: The first day sit with a heating pad/blanket for about 6 hours on the area, second day get some EPSOM salt and sit in a hot bathtub for 3-4 hours then that night sleep the night with the heat pad/blanket again. In the morning as you are going your regular morning routine the boil/cyst should pop and start to drain. This has worked almost everytime for me.  
I thought I was the only person in the world suffering from these horrible knots. They are soooo painful and misserable. I have to say when it first began 8 yrs ago I had only knot. It was about 6 yrs before the next one showed up while I was pregnant my doc said it was a clogged gland or something no big deal. So now it's been 2 years since then. Now I have one after another, 3 or 4 at a time. It is constant the swelling goes down on one and gets worse on another. I am absolutely miserable. I did notice it is worse in hotter weather. Soaking in a hot bath helps with the pain. But nothing makes it go away.
I am going through th same exact thing except for mine leaves purple spots on my bikini line.I was wondering if i had sex would it affect my partner?If you know the answer to this please let me know.
goooooooo too the doctor asap! i have one and its gotten bigger over the past couple of days and was very painful. i went to the doctor today and was prescribed antibiotics for 10 days to get rid of the swelling and have the puss come out. theres also a chance that the antibiotic wont help. in that case a surgery will be needed. so do not prolong and see a doctor as soon as possible. its nothing crazy and embarassing, its most likely caused from shaving soo runn n ladies run!!!!!!!!!!
the main reason of the cyst is to pop and have all the nasty puss come out. best way from perosnal experience is to buy a cabbage and and wrap it aorund the cyst for the night and sleep like that. popped for me on the second night = ]
Finally to have found some women experiencing what I have been for about 15 years now!!

After over a year of not seeing one, I just had a lump appear on my upper, inner thigh on my bikini line.  It is very tender, painful to the touch, red, about the size of a quarter and raised above the skin a good bit.  In the past, my lumps have had the same characteristics, appearing on my bikini line but sometimes on the left side, sometimes the right, sometimes in the groin area.   They usually hang around for over a week and then just shrink and vanish but others have burst and left scars.  Sometimes appear a few months in a row, then none for a year or two years.  One of my first lumps appeared about 15 years ago mid way down my inner thigh that grew to the size of a large egg and left me unable to walk for about 3 days until it EXPLODED.  What came out was just plain nasty.  I obviously don't shave my inner mid thigh so couldn't be attributed to that.  Oh, and being behind on maintenance lately, I haven't even shaved or waxed my bikini area in well over a month, so why a lump now?  Anyone, anyone?

I have had only one doctor (a gyno) comment on these lumps.  She didn't see it, I just explained it to her.  She told me it was because I was a blonde, something to do with my pigment.  Now that is just retarded.  She is no longer my doctor :)
I've noticed a lump on mt inner thigh in the bikkin area and it is sore and slightly red its not hard its soft kinda like a pimple. It kind of looks like  a bug bite.It just appeared out of no where...Its kinda on the bigger side. I dont know what to do because I dont have insurance.. What should I do? I can't even wear underwear.I am a thicker girl could that have anything to do with it?
For anyone experiencing this recurring problem with abscesses on the inner thigh (bikini line) or even on armpits and are not caused by ingrown hairs, try and research HIDRADENITIS SUPPURATIVE to see if this is what it seems to be.  If so and meds have not helped, you should try to find a doctor who will REMOVE the abcess (abscess) when it's at its largest.  

I saw a colorectal doctor who was the only one who said to call him as soon as it flared up (meaning when it was large and painful), and he literally burned my top skin off, cleared (scrape/squeeze/etc) the tract of infection and let it heal from the inside out.  It occurred on a few different occasions in different spots in the area, but after removing it each time, I have never had them again in the same spot, nor have I had them since.

I recall being SO FED UP WITH IT happening every other month and letting it drain on its own after a painful swelling until I found that doctor.  The short pain of the procedure is NOTHING compared to the pain of it happening month after month after month of swelling, draining, swelling draining.  Don't give up on finding a doctor who will help or perhaps remove them on the spot.
Ive had pretty much the same things often it started in my breast though, its a (not serious) disease were you get cysts pretty much that come and go. my first was the size of a golf ball in my right breast and I had it removed. The red bump like spots on or under the skin of the vagina can be similar and go away within a week or 2 period I also had one about as big as my thumb and the Doctor gave me medication, he did say that they can be iritated by shaving and can cause an ingrown or infected hair. they are very unpleasant but do tend to go away. I would just talk to your Doctor about it, and have them look at it, its not that imbarassing but its definetley worth it and the medicine for it does help tremindesly. hope I could help!
I have a lump on my bikini line, which I thought after reading all of your blogs is what you are talking about. It has been there for about 5 days. I have been using a hot wash cloth like I have read. It does not hurt at all and is not red on the surface. The bump is only under the skin really...is this the same thing? Do I need to seek medical assistance or is 5 days still ok?
so i think i have the same thing as well mine is about dime size around my bikini area also... i feels like it needed to pop like it was a small bubble and there was a small bump next to it... it wasnt red but almost a purple bruise type color... i accidently popped and it no puss came out just bloode... i put a wet paper towell on it do i need to do the same with the warm wash clothe as well or should i go to the doctor?
I may have something like this but I don't know.  I have a large lump just under my right outer labia that I think has gotten bigger since this morning.  It's tender to the touch and underwear causes problems.  It's kind of warm to the touch and generally very irritating.  It only formed today, or at least only became noticeable today, and I'm not sure what to do.  I'm hoping it won't stick around for my vacation starting in a couple days but I don't know how to make it go away, or even if it will go away.  I'm not sure I can get in to be checked out before I leave for my vacation, either.
i had a very painful lump about the size of a jammie dodger!!! it really really hurt i could barely walk, my dad told me about what they did in the olden days he aid to warm some milk up, take the crust off a slice of bread pour the milk over the bread and bandage it to my cyst/abcess/lump whatever it was and leave it on overnight, as it dries it draws the infection out. i tried this and woke up with a flattened red mark but pain free and puss free. touch woodhavent had it ever since! try this it worked for me :) xx
I think i have the same thing a soar near my bikini line, and it is sorta dark but it became flat, and i tried squeezing it and puss and some blood came out... is it a bad thing to squez it? i hope i didn't do something wrong X/ is this sorta thing common in girls. i am 18. and what causes it? i would like to know cause i woke up one morning and noticed it there
I think i have this too, but i'm so scared i'm not sure what i'm supposed to do. I've only just turned 16 and only discovered this lump last night. I havent spoken to my mum or anyone about it as i'm too frightened that it might be a cancerous lump. :S It's not black or anything but the same colour as my skin, maybe a bit redish but it's sore on the skin of it and it's hard. I'll try these methods of warm compresses, as i feel like i've had this problem before but it just went away, however, I'm struggling to remember as I've never bothered to actually look and see what the problem is.
I'm glad to see i'm not the only one who's confused, but do i see my doctor immediately or do i try to handle with it myself then consult a doctor??
please help. Thankyou.
x
I am now 20, and have had the same problem(bumps on my inner thighs and around my bikini line) since I was 14.  They are normally worse in the summer time, which made me think that they had something to do with sweating and/or excessive shaving.  I was recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism and was put on thyroid medicine to try to get, and keep, my thyroid on a normal level.  I noticed that once I started taking this medicine, the bumps occurred less often, and now I they only come up occasionally, and it is usually when I am stressed.  I was curious, so I got online and found out that problems with your thyroid can actually cause these bumps.
I think I may also have this problem but would like some advice from you guys. I scratched a razor burn bump and know I think it is infected. Its raised, red, and hurt really bad. The area around it hurts a lot it affects me when I walk, it's on my belt line. Has anybodies else had thier bump hurt really bad?
i think i have the same thing. at first my bump started off small and red... i thought it was an ingrown hair and i tried to squeeze it. big mistake, its gotten worse!! its soooo painful. and now the bump looks like a blood blister!! anyone have my addvice? its causing me a lot of pain.. and im getting really scared. please help
I am pregnant with my second child, and somehow - these things get worse when your hormones are out of control.  This does not mean anything serious like POS or endometriosis because I have had them since I was 14 and have already have a laptoscopy (for a completely different reason) and came out clean as a whistle.  Yes - I am fine.  I have been gaining some weight (obviously with the pregnancy).  This one is a little different in that it's the exact same one that keeps coming back.  It's pretty easy to get rid of - just a hot compress and some cleaning.  But it keeps coming back after about 2 weeks of relief - same place, same bump.  
I have adult acne (also a hormonal issue), not sure if this is an issue for anyone else. I'm limited in treatment because of the pregnancy.  I'm glad everyone on here was able to find some reassurance and advice.  
Mine have never been larger than about a quarter ;)
Hope this helps in your research.
Boy am I glad I am not the only one who has one of these. I just noticed mine tonight. There is a red circle about the size of a ping ball, followed by a purple tip in the middle. It also feels like there is a small pea under the skin there. I have a warm cloth on it right now. Should I also go see my doctor about this ?
I currently have one as well.  I had one several years back and had to go to the doctor to get it treated.  What they do is lance the boil in the office with a local anisthetic.  They let it drain and then they pack it with sterile gauze.  This prevents the sore from closing in on itself, which is a breeding ground for the boil to return.   I had to return to the doctors of 3 days after to have unpacked and repacked. If you have a large one that pops and keeps returning it may be because it is not completely healing.  They also gave me oral antibiotic which assisted in the healing.  ITs not a fun process but mine complety went away.  Also beware of hot tubs.  They are a breeding ground for bacteria if they are not maintained properly. I think that is where my current one started.
I WENT TO THE DOCTORS AND THEY SAID MY BOIL WASNT BIG ENOUGH TO DRAIN YET. THEY SAID IF IT GOT ANY BIGGER TO COME BACK IN . IT DID GET BIGGER BUT IT HASNT EVEN BEEN THAT LONG..WILL IT GO AWAY IF I KEEP IT CLEAN? I HAVE A MEDECINE THEY GAVE ME CALLED BACTRIM WILL THAT GET RID OF IT? IM FREAKING OUT. HELP PLEASE!

FYI - HOT SHOWERS NEVER FELT SO GOOD!
BUT I WALK LIKE A COW GIRL

I have one on my bikini line and it hurts so bad! I went to the doctors the first time because it had gotten very large and I was walking like a cowgirl! They did something called "lancing" it's where they put a needle with lidacane a numbing solution (worst pain of my life) in my skin and then it was completely numb, then they took a thing that kind of looks like an exto knife in it and pushed on it and drained it! I thought I was gonna pass out from the pain of the needle and it's my fear now, so it's back and I'm freaking out because it hurts. I went to the doctors as soon as this one started hurting again and they said it didnt need to be drained.
Hello! Iv had a cyist on my bikini line for about 6 months now, for awhile it causes me little problems and was just abit sore to touch. But in the last few weeks there is a red fleshy material sticking out of it (not coming out of it, it is attatched) which is unbareable to touch. I can hardly walk and i keep catching it in my sleep which wakes me up. I have no idea what the red fleshy stuff is, its sticky and painfull. Any idea? Please help!
Wow, I can't believe how many people have these things. .I get them all the time on my inner thighs, bikini line, and pretty much anywhere along the genital area.  My sister has them, as well.  It's ridiculous.  It started with just one (which, like so many others here, I assumed was just an ingrown hair), but now I can't even tell you how many I have.  They are everywhere, and I SWEAR I am a clean person!  I've tried the hot compresses, super hot baths, ointments, band-aids, AND now I've even started wearing men's boxer briefs to stop some of the rubbing.  I mean, what more is there to do?!?!  They are so incredibly annoying, and I've dealt with them for over two years, now.  Not to mention, they're very unsightly.  I'm embarrassed to even let a doctor see them so you can imagine what it's done to my sex life!  I'm tired of walking in a public place and having to stop and readjust myself (down there) because of the shooting pain!  With so many of us with the same problem, there HAS to be something that we can do!  BESIDES HOT COMPRESSES!  lol
Viewing 1-200 comments: