Staph infection after surgery
I had surgery 3 1/2 weeks ago. I had an infection in the lymph node in my leg. One week later I was back at the hosptial with a hemotoma. Told to take it easy and it will get better. Fourteen days after surgery he removes the staples, the wounds comes open a little bit. He say no big deal we will watch is for two weeks. Next day the wound comes open in other spot. This one starts to drain very bad, it is yellow mixed with blood. Went back to the ER, tested stated no infection. Now one week later I am still draining pretty heavy. I pack it each day changing the dressing at least 10-12 times a day, still leaks on my clothes. Got a call today from the ER, they state I have a staph infection, they will give me med. Is this normal? This stuff has a smell to it and I am still hurting and a lot of pressure. Will meds fix this and stop the draining? Please someone relieve my mind!! Thanks Modda
once on the meds it will get better.
Hopefully oral antibiotics will take care of this, but you will need to be vigilant in following careful instructions regarding wound care and taking your antibiotics faithfully.

IF THIS DOESN'T APPEAR TO BE GETTING BETTER VERY SOON, GO TO YOUR DOCTOR.
Call your local hospitals and see if they have a wound care center.  They handle these kind of complications all the time, and they usually work with your insurance company.  Do not waste time.  An infection can get out of hand quickly, and you don't want that.  Get a second opinion from a different source than those that are handling your original care if you are not comfortable with your wound.  My mother had open heart surgery and got an infection from an incision on her leg.  Her doctors told her to watch it.  By the time she got to a wound care center, she had necrotized tissue in her leg that had to be removed.  She had a gaping open wound on her leg that required every other day visits to the center.  They got her taken care of though...good luck to you.