Stretching vagina

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Stretching vagina

I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of stretching the vagina?  Ever since my hysterectomy I am very narrow and the pain with intercourse is unbearable. So needless to say I am in a sexless marriage that I am very unhappy about and so is my husband. Is there some type of specialist out there that deals in matters of this nature?
Any ideas would be greatly appreceiated.
i remember during baby classes the teacher was saying how to do this to avoid "tearing" during childbirth. i tried to practice it but gave it up. then when it came time to have my baby, i remember the dr. doing just that(stretching the waginal opening).im sorry, i just cannot recall the term or EXACTLY how to do it. i just can tell you yes, threre is a way. i know someone out there knows and will fill us in. if no one does, i will try to go dig in my boxes (i save everything) of the paperwork from baby classes and get out the sheet for it. i just dont want to say anything that may cause harm if youre not doing it properly.
Thanks, I will look forward to your response.
I have been reading a labor and delivery book and it talks about perineal massage, but i'm not sure if that's the same thing. Sorry I guess that really doesn't help much.
I think you are talking about keigal exercises. I'm not sure how to spell it. But I remember talking about this at birthing class as well. I would definately call your doctor though I wouldnt want you to hurt your self or make it hurt worse.
YES! thats it..perineal massage. is that what she should do to help her down there or am i totally thinking something different???

w/the perineal massage you are supposed to (or your partner could do it too) place 2 fingers about an inch and a half into your vagina (use a lubricant like almond oil or k-y jelly) and gently stretch the lower part of your vagina. i looked this up online under "perineal massage" and it does explain how to do it. careful though, graphics also come up!! hee hee. i was like, oops, there "it" is! i looked under "labia stretching" and that was even worse. i dont think thats what you need though.

i realize this is mostly used to avoid an episiotomy during childbirth but couldnt this help w. your situation? i am BY NO means a dr. so i dont know.