Swelling of the Feet and ankles

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Swelling of the Feet and ankles

I would like to know whats going on with my feet and ankles their are constantly swelling and are tight like there filled with fluid I've been to the doctors and emergency rooms they say there nothing they can find wrong with them but they swell one day then there back to normal now it seems like its getting worse before their was no pain but now its starting to bother me the doctors have even tested me for diabetes and prescribed me water pills what's wrong with me
Are you pegnant? Do you eat a lot of sodium based foods? Both of these could be the reason why you are sweeling. Let me know.
I can relate to the sweeling problem you are having. My ankles began to swell about 10 years ago when I began putting on weight. At first it was not bothersome, but over the years has increased significantly.

I was diagnosed with high blood pressure last summer and am now on meds. Now when I forget my meds my ankles AND feet swell so even my shoes are tight and nasty looking. I have askec several doctors if this is heart related and they all have said it is related to my being overweight. However, if my weight is stable and there are other MORE overwieght people around without this problem why is this getting worse? I also recently experienced the top of my feet getting tight and feeling stretched out from the swelling.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it. I watch my diet and restrict salt.
wow, i have been going thru the same thing!  it is making me nuts.  i have gained 30 lbs after having my gall bladder removed 2 years ago.  i was also diagnosed with fibro myalgia this past fall.  i always had a problem with swelling, but since i am heavier, it is more noticeable.  my sister who is 3 year younger and thin also swells.  i think it is from bad circulation due to me being overweight.  if i undo my bra and lay flat on my bed, it goes away with in 20 minutes.  i also do not eat the way i used to when iwas thin.  i would NEVER eat bacon or cold cuts.  i never ate bread (which i know causes swelling in certain members of my dad's side with gluten allergies)  i am going back to eating lean meat, tuna veggies and fruit and i will get back to the good health i enjoyed before.  it is not okay to be overweight.  i don't ever want to have my chest cracked opened like my mom did.  
good luck.
scotty marie
scottymarie,

i appreciated your post and found it very informational that bread can cause swelling due to a gluten allergy. I LOVE BREAD!!! I will have to see if the swelling gets worse when I eat it. Also, my dad had his chest cracked open for open heart surgery and I don't want to go thru that, either. He eventually died from vascular dementia which they say is related to heart disease...something else I'd like to avoid.
I've experienced major swelling of the feet and ankles for 13 years now.  It all started when my right foot was bitten by fireants and became infected.  I went to the ER and was given steroids and antibiotics.  However, since then BOTH of my feet and ankles have been swollen most all of the time (sometimes severely).  The weird part is that I've noticed that whenever I'm on antibiotics for any unrelated illness, my feet and ankles do not swell.  I've mentioned this to several doctors who all say that it can't have anything to do with it.  But, I just think it is very odd that it never fails.  Has anyone else ever noticed this?  I think what scares me is that things I've read all indicate that it COULD have something to do with heart failure.  I'm 52 and have had this going on now for 13 years with no relief. One doctor even put me on mild diuretics but it did not provide any relief.  Does anyone have any thoughts?
Nestle24,

I recently went in for my test results froma stress test and echocardiogram and was told my heart is strong and healthy!

I also worry about congestive heart failure being related to swelling, but if that is so why am I being told everything is okay?

Since I've heard CHF can develop over time I wonder if they can detect it before intervention becomes necessary like heart catherization, blocked ateries or heart valves, etc.

Does the heart just attack with no prior indication from testing or lack of physical symptons or just slowly die off due to these conditions?

I've taken antibiotics and never noticed much of an increase or decrease in swelling. However, I have a desk job and swell during the week but not on the weekends when I move around more!

Go figure!
i have swelling of the right foot. I went to the doctor and was told I have leaking of the veins in that foot, I want to know if any thing can be down about it.
I read somewhere that growths in your uterus i.e. pregnancy, fibroid tumors, etc. can cause swelling of the feet ankles because the growths put pressure on the uterine cavity which in turn puts pressure on the main vein that transports blood to the extremities.
I am not overweight thanks to weight loss surgery.  I watch my carbs so I don't eat breads and I also eat lite salt; however, my ankles are swelling something awful.  It has become painful especially on the inside of my left foot.  It is very tender and hurts.  There is fluid-like substance in this area where it is tender.  When I was overweight my feet would swell but I had forgotten how awful that side of my life was until now.  What could be causing it?  I am so frustrated and concerned.  My feet are also turning purple which my Mother's were the same way and now I have noticed just today that the veins in my legs are very pronounced and blue.  Do I need to see a circulatory specialist, heart specialist or a psychiatrist because this is driving me nuts.  If I am on my feet for more than four (4) hours then my feet are swollen and it takes at least two days to get them back down and that is with me laying flat on my back with my feet propped up on pillows so that my feet are above my heart.  What do you think, I should do?  Pray and increase my life insurance?
   Well, Here is yet another female, 35 years of age, and I, too, am overweight, and experiencing swelling of the ankles. Its worse in my right. So far, its only on the outsides of my ankles. I have also noticed that my feet hurt alot to walk on them.... That feeling you get after a long day of being on them ALL DAY...But I get it easily, just walking around my house throughout the day. The past few days, the swelling has even worked it way across the top of my right foot, all the way to the base of my toes.

My husband bought one of those foot soak/massagers, (you fill it with water, and it vibrates, has bubbles, and sprays water, and it has massagers that you can rub your feet on). I have used it a couple of times with some EPSOM SALT. I did it again last night with luke warm water, instead of hot, and then I went to bed with my feet elevated on a couple of pillows. I woke up this morning, and almost all of the swelling is gone. They still ache though.

Interesting about the bread thing.... I love bread, too. I will decrease my intake and see if that helps!

Wow Glad I found this.  I work at a desk and everytime I worked for an extended period of time my feet also sweel and look like stuffed sausages.  Th swelling goes all the way up past my ankles and I was also woring about CHF.  They dont hurt but look really bad
I am having the same problem, except I am 25,  112 pds and very athletic.  My feet started swelling when training for my last marathon and I was told to loosen my laces and get a 1/2 size larger running shoe and that the swelling was normal.   But now my feet have started to swell alot more often, not just when exercising.  They are especially bad after a night of going out even if I have only had one or two alcoholic bevs, when I wake up it feels like there is fluid in my feet.  I am worried b/c I eat very healthy, no added salt  and not big on bread, but diabetes runs in my fam.  Does anyone have a clue whats wrong with me?
Count me in too.  I went from a size 7 medium to an 81/2 Wide shoe. Two doctors said Lympheditis becasue I was over the hill.  They said this is quite common in "older ladies"  ha ha and is cosmetic only.  Well, I don't think so.  I look at all "over the hill" ladies feet when I am out an about and NO ONE has feet that look like mine.  It is mainly the top of the feet that look distorted and I cannot get a shoe to go on that humpty dumpty, swelling. My feet feel tight and I cannot move the toes.  My thyroid doctor said soemtimes sluggish thyroid can cause this. He put me on Synthroid yesterday but I am still not convinced and will see a pulmonologist to rule out a heart related problem.  I do have heart stents but cardio said no theart related.  We shall see.  Good Luck to you all.
I have declaired war on my foot swelling.  I am somewhat overweight, and aged 60 yet I too don't beleive that that  is enough of an esxplanation for the swollen foot prob.  I have seen a regular MD, (more water pills, an otrho person humm??? and last week a podiatrist.  The Podiatrist gave me the best advise so far  and it is working.  I am wearing those terrible compression stockings even to bed.  Except for the times I am swimming or kayaking I have those stockings on. Ugly but  The swelling is better.  It is  not all gone but is much decreased.  He said basically we will be trying to MILK IT.    He also mentioned that some physical therapists work with people who have lymphadima and that he thinks there might be some things they could recommend.  I am also trying to make sure I am moving my feet as much as I can.  You know raising your toes and rotating your feet in circular motions.  I am glad I am not the only one with this.  Good luck to all.  
I'm 34, thin and athletic, and the tops of my feet are swelling too!!  I thought maybe it was the heat (living in Texas).  By the end of the day, I can't even slip into my sandals because my feet are so swollen.  I'm not on any medication, don't salt my food, and eat pretty healthy.  I just had a physicl in April and everything checked out.  What's going on?  
I had the same problem as you, but I'm 20 years old and I am in the Air Force.  My feet would swell so bad during my PRT (physical readiness trainting) that I would go back to the barracks in the morning afterwards and practically have to pry my sneakers off of my feet.  You might not believe me when I tell you, but I was diagnosed with High Blood Pressure when I went to the doctor a few weeks after it started happening.  I only eat at the Chow Hall (no McDonald's for me) and I asked the doctor if that could have been the cause of it and he said, "No, your blood pressure is caused by stress."  If I'm not mistaking, stress causes EVERYTHING.  So, I went to my family doctor that I've gone to since I was a kid when I was on leave this past month.  He said that my High Blood Pressure was indeed caused by my rise in stress and anxiety.  I was prescribed by the military doctor generic blood pressure medication and then my family doctor prescribed me a mild dose of depression medication.  I can honestly say that I have not had any problems with my  feet swelling and I've been feeling great during the day.
I find that "Fit for Life" theories do marvels for my swollen ankles. No mixing of carbs and proteins .At least two litres of water a day......... yes I urinate a lot . Fruit salad and  No added sugar fruit juices till midday .and for example.... I slice of wholegrain toast with avocado , small amount  of Aioli and  big pile of alpha sprouts for lunch, small piece of steak   with vegetables for supper. If you have the steak you have no carbs like potato. Try it!!!  No harm done!!!I have no affiliations with the Fit for Life people.
I usually have no additive breakfast cereal like muesli, salad sandwich for lunch etc. meat and veggies for supper and no end of problems with my legs swelling. Bulging out of my shoes   .A diet considered healthy!!! I do have kidney issues, diagnosed with Nephritis. I  have taken a BP Pill and diuretic' for some years but it didn't stop my legs swelling. Only a change of diet did that' My BP is dropping.
I can not sleep. I have swollen ankles, feet turning purple with heat coming through my socks.  It is unbearable.   I was at the ER last night and they precribed water pills, predisone, and gave me a needle in my back for the inflammation. I was realesed they said, it was a flare up from my LUPUS> I don't bleive it. The pain is unbearable, I can not walk now.  Could anyone help to find out what this is.>>>> Thanks
i'm 36 and was pregnant with my 7th child and my left foot swelled up after he was born the doctor gave me water pills to take the swelling down and it didn't work. it took 2 years before i had a doctor tell me i have lymphadima in my leg and if i didn't take care of it that in time my leg would swell so bad that water would leak out. which i saw with my dad before he died. i was told that the thing that makes the water in your body pump through had collapsed from having to many kids. the pain is now in my whole leg from the hip down. and my toes are so swollen that they are cracked.
This happens to me, but I believe I've figured it out... No high blood pressure, no pregnancy, low sodium intake so I've always wondered what it could be... It happens if I drink alcohol and do not sleep it off. If go to happy hour during the week and do not sleep until my body is fully rested (i.e. getting up when the alarm goes off on a weekday rather than sleeping til I can't sleep anymore on the weekend), my ankles swell like crazy until I get that full night's sleep. They don't hurt but are ugly and feel tight.. and it comes back every day until I get that sleep.
I have been dealing with swelling in my feet, legs and hands sometimes my whole body for about a year now and ive been given blood pressure pills and lasix, had IV pushed diuretics and spent 2 days in ICU for swelling and water gain at which time they took 7 lbs of fluid off me. I was told that at 262 lbs my weight was causing it, then I was told I had congestive heart failure at 39 years old.  FInally I was sent to a Cardiologist who performed a heart cath on me.  MY cholesteral, trigliserides and all blood tests were normal, no blockages, no beginnings of blockages...HOWEVER they did find two vavles in my heart that arent closing properly, that causees blood to flow back into the heart.  I can controll the swelling by staying away from SALt, salt ladened foods (NO BACON) and most ppl dont realize this but carbonated drinks can cause this as well.  I am a die hard Dr. Pepper drinker but even 1 small can willl cause my ankles to be swollen within an hour of drinking it.  This morning a co-worker bought me breakfast and even tho I knew i shouldnt I ate it and it had small bits of bacon in it..not to mention the fact that she also brought me a Dr. Pepper and yes I drank that as well...Now here I sit with puffy ankles and feet that dont want to go in my shoes.  I suggest all of you  cut out the following items from your diet for one month and you'll see a change in the swelling as well as the scales.  Soda, anything containing more then 50mg of sodium, rice, breads (ecspecially white),  pasta, and potatoes & above all ALCOHOL..It can do some weird things to your body since having my gal bladder out i cant even take one sip much less to being drunk or buzzed or im in for a terrible swelling and hang over the next hour ...I know I know whats left you say..So did I but I havent felt this good in years.  Drink atleast 64oz of water a day (you can even use the crystal light packets) and all the tea and coffee you can handle, watch for sodium in fruit juices.  ITS NOT YOUR WEIGHT PPL.....That doesnt make you swell...my defective valves and what I put in my body makes me swell.  Read labels on everything...be careful with low sodium soups...they can actually have up to 90mg of sodium in them. We cook alot of fresh vegetables in seam-in bags and use tons of fresh garlic, salt free lemon pepper, mrs dash...theres so much flavor out there other then salt.  Keep in mind that even if you dont salt your food while cooking or on the plate..if it came from a can its probably got alot already added to it..look for bags of frozen vegetables if you prefer.  And by the Way ive lost 45 lbs in 2 months just by cutting out those items.  HOPE this helped someone.
Thank you for your post.  I'm 47, female and about 10lb over weight.  I know its not major weight but its not coming off.  I developed HBP 3 years ago after a dog bit my lip off and went thru plastic surgeries, a bazillion drugs and therapy.  Along with asthema.  I know its all related.  Today I was a volunteer at a dog adoption event - standing in the heat (84 degrees) for a few hours and after about an hour, I squatted down and my knees were SO tight!  Then I noticed my ankles being swollen.  I had not taken my HBP pill and it contains 25mg of a dieuretic.  I ran home and popped that pill.  It seemed to help but something isnt right.  My EKG shows I may have had a mild heart attack in the past but after seeing a cardiologist he said everything was fine.  Last night we had a nasty cheap bottle of wine (loads of sulfites) so I'm thinking between that, heat and no pill caused my swelling.  Its either that or my heart.  I'm not sure.  Scary absolutely...
I have the same problem.  I am 24, in the air force, i run all the time, i just got back from a 100 mile hike in spain and it is worse than ever!  I am so worried.  i went to the doctor and all they gave me was a diuretic.

my blood and urine tests are normal, my blood pressure is normal, they claim "nothing" is wrong with me...

my ankles and feet are soooo swollen that it hurts to walk.  I have sharp pain in my left ankle.  I wish i knew what was going on...

this IS a condition they just haven't found it yet or know what it is... i will figure it out...
swelling ( edema) of feet and ankles is common after a surgery or giving birth or while in third trimester of pregnancy,,,,other than that its a symptom not to be over looked, it usually a coronary symptom,,,please all of you see your doctor,,
I have experienced CHF about 6 times and had swelling of the feet and ankles all of those times except once. It does come on gradually and for me has always been accompanied by difficulty taking a deep breath, sometimes feeling like theres a lot of heavy pressure in my chest. Sometimes even up as high as my collar bone. The times when I had the most swelling however was when I had too much fluid around my heart and IV lasix took most of the fluid off. I would pursue another opinion. Swelling, especially of the legs is not something to play around with. Hope you are feeling better by now.
When pregnant with my 3rd child over 12 yrs ago i developed sharp pains in the back of my right calf. That night my foot began to swell, but only the right one. It never went down and I was sent from doctor to doctor all telling me they have no clue what it was. Years later a doctor told me since they ruled out everything I must have lymphedema. Right foot still swollen, now has moved into my ankle and lower leg but not as noticeable as my foot which i can barely find any shoes to wear. My entire right side of my body now typically has all the problems and the left side is perfect (even my blood pressure is higher on the right side) I have researched lymphedema and unfortunately there is no cure. I eat healthy, no sodium, no cholesterol, low blood pressure and  I exercise. Apparently if you have lymphedema it can be triggered to come out while you are pregnant. Since there is no cure, I keep researching to find out if it could possibly be something else. Acupuncturist states could be the lymph system was became blocked in my groin area while pregnant and never became unclogged but so little research with medical doctors
Check out this website: http://www.healthhype.com/swollen-leg-swelling-of-the-feet-ankle-toes.html

I have a desk job, too, and come to think of it I've had this problem for the last 3+ years, and 4 yrs ago I was still in school and walking around a lot more!  I'm going to try moving around periodically throughout the day to see if that helps.

Thanks greenkat!
At your age and health, you should definitely not be having the swelling problem.  See a different dr.  Keep trying to find the answer because something is causing it and it isn't right.  You might want to limit some things in your diet too to see if that makes a difference, but I think you should get another dr and another opinion.
I have had swelling of the feet and ankles for about 5 or 6 years. They doctors said it was weight gain but I didn't by it. My daughter who is now 30 was diagnosed with something akin to celiacs .......just for the heck of it I have had no bread or pasta made from white or wheat flour. To my surprise my feet haven't swollen in about 3 weeks where they used to swell daily......it took a few days i guess for the body to rid it self of what I had eaten previously....but after about 3 days the swelling was completely gone
I believe that the problem to be there is no oxygen reaching your feet and legs... exercise with the right diet will decrease the swelling in your legs and feet it worked for me i was wearing a size 12w shoe and now i can wear a 10 ...... I was over weight I weighed 305 pounds and now i am down to 160 and i am 5ft 7inch and it took me 1 year to lose the weight..
Something that I would look into isn't necessarily congestive heart failure but coronary artery disease. If u have high blood pressure, high cholesterol , tired during the day and edema its most likely that.
I have it myself and am trying to lose weight and watch what I eat to get healthy again.
I am not a doctor. But I do have three suggestions. 1. Nattokinase  (research it for yourself) circulation of blood... i take the kind from **********.com ...listed under the name "Ultimate Blood Flow Formula".   2. Seven Flower Extract.... (a blend of herbs) for my high blood pressure...and so does two of my sisters... no problem with high blood pressure!!! 3. Cayenne Pepper.....too many good things to say about this herb. Please, if you have a moment...research all 3 for yourself....your body will be glad you did!!! God Bless.
I am43 years old and I have noticed that my ankles are swollen this has been about 3 days.  A couple of months ago my doctor said I had low cholesterol when I went to see her on Monday because I had a urinary tract infection she said I had gained weight and now I might have high cholesterol.  I already have endometiroious so I do have complications and do not need low/high cholesterol.  I love bread it is my worst weakness and trying to stop eating it.  I do not know what to do about my ankles as I am waiting for my blood work to come back from my doctor.  Doctor told me to lose weight becase of my low cholesterol I am not allowed fried foods (which I do not eat anyway), no soda (which I do not drink) I am a water person, no red meat except 1 -2 times a month.

So right now I am lost and waiting.  Should I go to emergency?
I have been a healthy, thin person and virtually have been all my life, except when I was pregnant 23 years ago.  That's when I first noticed the abnormal edema, with deep pitting.  Then I went back to normal after giving birth, twice.  The last pregnancy was better than the first with less swelling.  I'm 50 years old, but this started all over again about 2 years ago, after I had some sort of infection.  I have been having ridiculous swelling that has gotten worse it seems every month that goes by.  My blood tests don't point at diabetes( tingling, burning feet and lower legs) or anything like that, but my thyroid is the issue the last two years.  I really think this is hormone related, because my heart is fine, I've not gained excessive weight and I am eating normal......have had to go gluten free because of Hashimoto's Thyroiditis.  Wondering if this is related to that......getting hormone testing soon!  I HATE living with this.  I'm so uncomfortable and I feel I will never be normal again. Recently started on Levothyroxine about 1 month ago and I think it's made my swelling worse.  I sometimes wake up in the morning with very little change in the edema.......I am miserable.
I am 32yrs old I had my thyroid,colesterol,A1c,kidneys,check throughout the years when i first discovered my body was transitioning in 2003.
Now! here it is 2011 all those testes is abnormal except thyroid..
what happen all of a sudden!.That explain why epidema has settle around my ankles,feets,hands and legs.I was developing kidney problems slowly but surely..
I am overweight, 47 years of age, and this only happens to me during the summer. In the colder months, it doesn't bother me. CHF and diabetes run in my family, but a recent checkup indicated that I have neither of these problems. All my doctor told me is to lose weight (and somehow, I can't seem to take any doctor seriously about that when they themselves are overweight as well). I'm a college student who sits for long periods of time, but am able to get up and walk around. I walk everywhere I can, watch what I eat, but nothing seems to help. I have not yet gone thru menopause (I still have periods). Could this be part of the problem other than me being overweight?
Sounds like Heat edema, which is what i get too in the summer..
I am not overweight but I too sit for long hours which results in my feet swelling.. I have read that It can also happen when standing for a long time, but mine dont seem to swell from standing..
If edema is present, you will see an indentation in the skin.
Wearing vented shoes help a little and keeping the feet dry.
The only big help I get is when im at home with the Aircon on keeping the room nice and cool helps the most, also keeping the feet elevated will reduce the swelling.

A quote from Wikipedia:
"Heat edema presents as a transient swelling of the hands, feet, and ankles and is generally secondary to increased aldosterone secretion, which enhances water retention. When combined with peripheral vasodilation and venous stasis, the excess fluid accumulates in the dependent areas of the extremities. The heat edema usually resolves within several days after the patient becomes acclimated to the warmer environment. No treatment is required, although wearing support stocking and elevating the affected legs with help minimize the edema."
I had a severe swelling problem in my ankles....I quit bread and the problem is gone.  I also love bread, but love not having swollen ankles even more.  I also notice my stomack isn't so blotted.  Bye bye, bread!  
The bread theory seems to be a common thread here and I'm going to try it out and see if it helps.  You mentioned your stomach is "blotted"- what is that? Is it a skin color issue on your stomach or what?
Wowww! this is what's wrong with my feet! thanks for sharing that. On my last GYN visit the Dr. said that my uterus is so large but if I'm not experiencing pain don't bother with it. But I am experiencing problems, it's in my feet...Oh my!
I am 38 years old, weigh about 263 lbs, a coca cola addict, bread addict, and a computer addict. I don't exercise. My left foot constantly swells. It was only my left foot. Now my right foot is swelling, too. I don't have health insurance so I have no idea in what kind of general health I'm in. After reading everyone's posts I will be slowing down my coca cola addiction and also limiting my bread intake to twice per week. I will begin walking tomorrow morning. This is scary stuff. I am not stupid. I know that I eat very unhealthy. I guess I just didn't want to think about it as I was doing it. I just lost my sister-in-law and she was 500 lbs. I don't want to end up like her. I will be making a change. I just hope that it isn't temporary.
Wow! I have the same problem. I've had it for about 6 years, ever since we moved to a higher elevation. I'm 42, 265 pounds (5', 6") and trying to lose weight. My right foot swells more than the left and it used to only be in the summer for the most part. I wear larger shoes because of it, and if I go shoeless all day and then try to put shoes on, there are only a few pairs I can even get into. VERY frustrating! I never wear clothes that show my feet/ankles and wear boots whenever possible. I have very weak ankles and have ever since I was born.

I've been told to cut down sodium and I have. I've also cut out carbonated beverages and I strictly limit coffee intake. I want to try the bread thing... I too LOVE bread and all carbs but I have been trying to cut down.

The thing is, I see people twice my size with bird ankles so I know it can't be weight. Going to try a few things including when I sit at my desk, to move my legs and feet around a lot. I just read that the leg muscles acts as a "second heart" to pump blood back up to the heart, but if you sit too long, the blood collects in the veins and doesn't move back up due to gravity and inactivity.
I have swollen feet as well 34years old here and very active med built some of you who ae athletic should look into stress fracture cat scan is the ony thing that they show up in for me i have a few medical problems and it looks as if i just add this to my list that just keeps getting longer.
I'm 39 years old and my feet and ankles would swell so bad it was painful. I was diagnosed with a hypothyroidism. It took three attempts, but I have found meds that are working for me. Since starting the new meds 5 weeks ago, my feet have been swollen once!! Hypothyroidism also contributes to weight gain. Ask your doctor for a TSH test.
Swollen legs??? Use compression stockings/socks

www.thecompressionshop.com use code:shouldofwornthesocks for 5% off at checkout.
I have a lot of problems too with swelling of the feet & ankles. I was on Moduret for years and it was ok..lately I had a different doctor who gave me water pills, and potassium at th esam time ,..but had to quit as the water pills were getting rid of my potassium and I would get really light headed, and only wanted to lay down, no matter where I was...blood tests showed a little high, then a little low, and nobody knows ! You'd think the doctors have seen enough of this to know what to do about it...yours was very interesting, and made a lot of sense. My son passed away 1 1/2 yr. ago..I was almost insane for a year..am now just getting some bearings back. But with the never ending grief, I'm sure it has a lot to do with it. But to cure it, I don't know how. Maybe stress pills...thank you..Lorrie
For the past almost 2 years, my left foot and ankle has been swelling up. The thing I noticed while monitoring how often and how long it does it and stays, are these factors for me; stress, weight gain, processed foods, lack of activity. Whenever one of those are in place, my left foot will swell something serious. I just turned 27 so I am worried. I did notice however, when Im eating a strict diet, no processed foods, adding whole grain and wheat, doing an hour + of cardio 3-5 times a week, staying away from hard liquor (wine is ok actually) and not letting myself worry about things I can not control, the swelling is not present. I usually put castor oil on my left foot and ankle, wrap it in a plastic bag and put a sock over it before bed and when I wake up the next morning, the swelling has sweated out or managed to disappear. Recently I started feeling the pain when walking on it. Im a flight attendant so swelling is normal, but this has been happening before I got into this career. Im going to go see a podiatrist and see exactly whats wrong.
9 years ago, I started with the ankle swelling. I tried everything the doc said, nothing worked. Then my cousin told me to give up gluten. I never heard of gluten, back then, it wasn't as well known as it is today. I've had allergy tests (food) and showed no allergies. I was told by a doctor you don't have to show a food allergy to have an intolerance and you can develop an intolerance at any time in your life. So I did a very difficult thing, and believe me, giving up bread was HUGE. Turns out it was the gluten! I've been gluten free for 8 years now. I always know when I have an "accident" (cross-contamination) because they will swell up. and guess what? They  take exactly 3 weeks to go down to bony ankles from just one "accident". Three weeks is a long time. It is not worth it for me to have swollen ankles so I never cheat purposely. I'm glad I gave up the gluten and these days it is easier and easier because more and more food companies and restaurants are pandering to us!
Hi Kathy, funny my name is also Kathy, and about 2 months ago, I too underwent weight loss surgery. My left ankle is swelling, and I went yesterday to the doc, that I go back to tomorrow, for a ultra sound of it. She suggested, that I buy a support hose, and I did, and wow what a different it has made. I will let you know what the ultra sound shows, I think they want to make sure, its not a blood clot, but it shouldnt be, two month out of surgery. Kathy
thank you very much for these valuable information..
Have you considered msg? MSG and other kinds of food additives can cause that kind of reaction. MSG is in most chicken broth. If you read food recipes, many of them call for chicken broth. Chicken broth is added to many foods you eat in restaurants. Look on all food labels for MSG and natural flavors. If it says MSG or natural flavors, do not buy it.
I am 28 and have a high matabolism am thin and I had the same swelling in my feet its only gotten so bad 4 times where I needed cruches cause the pain was so bad my feet would come over the top of my slip on shoes I'm really scared everyone is saying its related to heart failure I didnt know this has been going on for three to four years I am young should I be scared It must not be hereditary and I dont have diabetis Im worried I might die soon
i will try it i am just so tired and it weights me down so much.i drag myself every where because of the swelling from my knees down. thanks.
I'm a guy. i did not have swollen feet until i just started eating heavilly to see how big  i can really be. got 13 kilo in 3 months and now the feet are just kicking in. they are really anoying when i walk around the house without shoes on it feels like a little hammer is banging on my feet.
Watch the water u drink my grandmother has same problem. The doctor said get more potassium in ur diet.
I am an active healthy guy in my late 20's. I do not eat processed food, try to excersise daily, and eat very healthy. Diabities and high blood pressure run in my family so I try everything to avoid it. In the past month my foot swelled up at first I thought it was the support of my shoes do I went to buy new ones. Then I figured I wasn't relaxing enough so I started using my slippers more often. Now my foot are so swollen then do not look like they belong with my body. It hurts to stand on one foot and even go massage it. Heavy blankets hurt my feet hence why I'm writing this message at 4:30am from my bed. Can anyone relate to this or have any related comments. I'm a bit scared. Having no medical insurance really *****.
Wow, everything you said sounds exactly like me.  We are the same age, and all tests run on me have come back negative too.  I lost 45 pounds and am now at my proper weight and that didn't change a thing.  My feet and ankles are fine living in Alaska where I lived for 26 years.  Warmer, more humid climates make them terrible.  They are terrible here in Denver with the higher elevation.  I have tried every type of elimination diet possible.  I even do 2 and 3-day fasts.  Ankles get to normal size but start swelling within one hour of eating or drinking anything besides water!
My feet and ankles swell. One thing to think about is...diuretics can dehydrate you and dehydration can cause swelling. Drinking more fluid pushes more fluid out. Salt retains fluids as well. Also, if one foot is swollen only with no injury...I heard that is something to worry about with the heart. I read through alot of these. And though I havent found the answer to my problems I thought I would share what I have learned.
Swelling is a directly related to CHF. Swelling is retaining fluid and your Heart is not stronger enough to depose of. I have been managing my CHF for the past 10 years.
Not all Heart Doctors are reluctant to diagnose CHF.
I would look for a CHF Clinic in my city or town, I would call or pay them a visit. If you are positivity for CHF medication and tight management controls and lifestyles changes and you can control it. There is no cure.
I have had swelling since the 80s and tried so many different things. Numerous doctors had no idea why. It started with my ankles, then feet and toes, then moved up to my legs. It was uncomfortable to wear shoes and uncomfortable to NOT wear shoes. I was miserable. And it makes you so tired, as if you have been digging ditches all day.Compression socks helped me so much, too. The socks are not a fix, but does make life a little better.

I could not take it any longer and decided to try different things myself. I researched TONS. To make a long story short, I thought my electrolytes might be out of whack. I decided to try different supplements. Astralagus is wonderful, it helped a lot. It will boost your immune system and act as a diuretic.

Then I tried daily supplements of potassium citrate and magnesium citrate to balance my electrolytes, both are CHEAP. And I drink 12 ounces of Gatorade a day. Within a COUPLE OF DAYS, I saw my ankes. I am so excited I can wear sandals again.

Flip flops do not cost .50 now, lol.

Don't go crazy and run out to buy these without RESEARCHING. Too much is dangerous, just as, not enough is dangerous. I started the potassium and magnesium within the past week. I am taking it slow to see how much I need. My results are amazing and I hope yours are, too.

Process foods are robbing us of necessary minerals such as potassium and magnesium. I feel 15 years younger since I started taking these supplements, and my energy has increased. And I am so excited that it looks like I will be able to wear many types of shoes again, it's been so long!

Google magnesium, potassium and astralagus. I bought mine at a local vitamin store. Good luck.
My Ankles & Feet swell so much it hurts. I have High BP. My doctor ran tests on me and can't find what's going on. I have a doctors appt nextweek. Until then what can i do to releave the pain?
i have been having trouble with my swelliing of my feet & ankles for 3 years and sometimes the swelling goes away for a few days and then later over againg it starts but i really know what is going on i been seen the doctor and all i am taking is the water pill for it but it does help a little more than without it later i had to call 911 to be taken to the hospital and i had been given several shots in veins so would be more efficiently and faster to get rid of the fluids that i had accumilated and then i was prescribed a higher dose medication and it did help me maintain my feet and my ankles from getting them swelling before i was scared because i thought it was something else like my kidneys but it could not be because it would had come out in the blood test before and of course i stop drinking everthiung that would contain sugar & salt bread and red meats pizza and alot more if you love yourself you got to get ridoff everthing thay is bad for you and your family it is hard but it is worth it for been healthy eating alots fresh fruits & vegatables is agood to start getting better and feel better thank you dont give up just little by little pratice to eat a little better it cost money to eat healthy but is a good idea to start with a little than with nothing is an effort to do thank you and a big hello from McAllen,Texas
Im 32 and in over weight and was m
Laidoff  for 3, months I've been back at work for a month now and the whole last week both my feet been swoll the right more swollen then the left ion noe wat to do plz help
36 years old. I've always weighed around 115 lbs and I have gluten issues. I recently gained about 10 lbs and immediately started to have health problems. Varicose veins and ankle swelling. My calves have become hard and painful and when I press on an ankle where it's swollen, the tissue dents and slowly reforms. I have no idea what's going on.
I am a 47 year old female with low blood pressure and both ankle and feet swelling. Maybe i should try what your doing.
Thank You...Signed can't take it anymore.
Do you have you ever smoked? I can't remember what the disease is called but there is one that will cause your feet to turn blue and sometimes they will be freezing cold and other times feel like they are on fire. Might want to research that?
I am 49 years old and weight about 135. I have had an active lifestyle. My pain/sweling is two fold. I wake up in the morning and sometimes cannot stand on my feet because they hurt so bad and are a little swollen.  After a while the welling goes down. Secondly, I love to walk and do about 3 miles at a time. By the end of the walk, My feet hurt and almost feel as if they are going to burst from the pain.I do drink alcohol a few times a week and love bread. Not sure if both are related of CHF is something I need to consider.
Hey there all. I'm 45 years old and have recently developed swelling in both feet and lower legs. There is also patches of redness that seem warmer than the surrounding skin and my toes go blue with darker blotches if my feet aren't elevated. I have been to my doctor who tested my blood for just about everything and it was clear. My colestral is good my blood pressure is perfect, so now I'm getting him to test for hormone deficiencies and gluten intolerance. This has both doctors stumped, but I'm determined to get to the bottom of this, because it started so suddenly. My one other possibility is cellulitis caused by an infection. I did have surgery recently and had a staph infection from the hospital, but I've had two courses of antibiotics to clear it up so I mention it as a last resort.
Anyway girls.... Hey are we all women? That could be significant. I'll post when I know more, and I will know more because I'm stubborn like that.
i use to walk every wear  with my children when they was little but then i got upset with my husband  cause he was lieing, cheating stealing etc so i started to eat alot of junk food kept drinking my pespi  so one day i said i'm going to stop drinking pespi and eatting junk food  i have  and then i  wanted to go for a walk i had a pounceing headache when i got back home my headache was gone after 10 minutes which was good but then my ankles and feet swell up and hurt all day long the only time they don't hurt is when i have my feet up i love wearing my happy feet socks  i drink only water and milk how much water should i drink since i want to loss weight  i don't want to drink to much water  i don't walk no more i need to take it slow i think i was doing to much to fast so i will take it slow now i'm getting a  foot soak massages that has bubbles i'm putting epsom salt in luke warm water then putting my feet up on a couple pillows first time everyone wish me look  as well if want to get a hold of my email is ***@**** if u have anything i can try i will try it if it will work  
I have had the same problems for years. I have always had big ankles. I thought it was cause I was naturally curvey. I have low iron n sleep a lot. Someone suggested I try this vitamin shake called Body by VI it is awesome. It made me notice I didn't go to the bathroom as regular as I should. This shake cleanse the toxins out of my body, gave proper nutrients and vitamins my body needed. I have more energy, lost weight to where I feel good about myself(big smile), and feel so much happier. Your body can hold on to things it doesn't need which causes swellen, weight gain, depression, laziness, ibs, and etc. Doctors couldn't figure it out so I took matters in my own hands. If you want to try it go to the website or find me on facebook (***@**** or ***@****) sorry I don't know the website by heart. My heart goes out to related people who proably wrote it off as oh well, but there is a way to solve this problem.  
I HAVE READ ALL YOUR COMMENTS. VERY INTERESTING. I AM 75,EAT PRETTY HEALTHY,ONLY FOODS WITH FIER,NO SALT,DRINK WATER,AND JUST LAST WEEK MY FEET AND ANKLES HAVE BECOME SO SWOLLEN I AN HARDLY WALK AND WHEN I WALK I AM TIRED. I AM NOT THAT MUCH OVER WEIGHT. MAYBE 25 LBS. I AM TRYING TO LOOSE WEIGHT. MY DOCTOR GAVE ME A DIURETIC. I AM GOING TO SEE A ORTHOPEDIC DOCTOR. I HAVE SEVERE PAIN AND HAVE OSTEOPENIA. MY BONES ARE VERY BRITTLE. THATS WHY I EAT A LOT OF FIBER. I HAVE TO TAKE NARCOTICS TO RELIVE THE PAIN BUT MYY BODY IS SO IMMUNE,IT JUST TAKES AWAY THE PAIN SO MUCH. I JUST HAD A EKG. EVERYTHING OK. I HAD BLOOD WORK,GOING FOR A MRI ON MY FOOT TO SEE IF ANYTHING IS BROKEN. THE SWELLING CAME DOWN ON MY LEFT ANKLE. I THINK I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THE MUSCLES IN MY FEET. WILL FIND OUT WHEN I SEE MY ORTHOPEDIC DOCTOR. I ALSO HAVE ARTHRITUS WHICH DOES NOT HELP. GOOD LUCK TO ALL AND OUR FEET.
I have the same problem as you do. I am only 19 years old, very athletic, and eat relatively well. The swelling in my ankles happens a lot especially when I am on my feet a lot at work or when I workout also it seems to be worse when I wear socks..I don't know what is going on.
help me please ! I've asked my mom why my foot was swollen and has nots but she just doesn't pay any mind to the fact that I'm hurting. i know I'm not pregnet because I haven't done anything sexual ever I'm only a teen. it's not any health issues because my doc says that I'm good in that area. please help they hurt!
Both my ankles swelled up over night back in December last year. They swelled up other night but went down the next day, so I didn't think much of it. But the it happened  again an few weeks later & I was getting pain with it & pains on the back of my leg. I found it hard to walk on so I rang the out of hours doctor as it was in the evening & my own doctor's was closed. Anyway about 5 hour's later an doctor came to see me. He looked at my ankles & he didn't really say much until I asked him what did he think the problem could be. He said it could be an number of things like problems with my heart. The he asked me if I had any health problems so I told him I had my left kidney removed about 10 years ago now as it was scarred & was only functioning about 15% & I always had  bad  kidney infections every 2 weeks which landed me in hospital all the time with them. When I told him that he said my remaining right kidney might not be functioning fully. I then asked him what could he do. He said not much & told me to make an appointment with my own gp in the morning. Anyway the swelling did go down again so I lefted it, But an week or so later both ankle & my feet swelled up yet again. So this time I did go to see my own gp. She done an blood test to rule an blood clot as she didn't think it was that. She said if my bloods come back abnormal I would of had to go down to my nearest hospital to have an scan on my leg. I did ask her if it's not that then what could be causing it. She said it might just be one of those things. That was no answer for me. At that stage I thought am I wasting my time coming to see her as she couldn't give me an answer to what could be causing it! Anyway I didn't hear from her so I take it my bloods were normal that she sent off to the lab to be tested. That was back in the end of December last year. Now both my feet & ankles are swelled again! My right one is the worse one, just like it was on the other time's they swelled up! So I am waiting up now until my doctor's surgery opens so I can ring & book another appointment to see her again. God knows what she is going to say this time tho. My right foot & ankle feels like it's tightening up. It happened on both occasions before tool, so I don't know what is going on! Is anyone else going through the same situation as me with swelling to your ankles & your feet? Thank Tammy x
Cat
Have you been tested for Gout? Also may need better footwear for comfort and support. I get my ortho shoes through Footsmart. I think you will like it.
Cat
My feet and ankles have been swelling, mainly in the summer since I was 12 yrs old. I wasn't overweight, watched my salt and still they swelled. Now in my 60's I take a daily water pill. I also elevate them every night, swollen or not. Ice compresses relieve the pain. I also drink lots of water and that seems to help.
I am 32 and have gained 30lbs in the past year. I have now started to get bad pains in my heels (right one more so) to the point I can't stand very long. My right ankle keeps swelling up and going down. That's not the worst part though! After I sit down for a few minutes then get back up I can barley walk. Also the first steps of the morning are so painful I fear them. HELP any ideas other than the one I came up with and that's I need to lose 60lbs.
I'M 46 and sit longs periods at a time, i get swelling in the humid and warm months as well its called the Secretarys disease usually by the time i wake of in the morning the swellings gone. However I usually stay away from red meat but ate a steak last night and woke of with swelling for the first time. it may have to do also with uric acid in the blood. drink plenty of water and natural berry juices (organic if possible) and bananas.
did u get an answer yet, this is what is happening to me
I had the same problem, maybe just not as severe. I am now taking some very high end supplements and as long as I eat sensibly and take them I don't even think about it. I only I notice the swelling among other things come back when I have forgotten to take my supplements for a few days.
i had stroke in july 2009 followed  by a Tumor removal behind my right eye.  because of stroke dr.s finally heard me when I told them I suffered from fatigue I have been dignosed and confirmed by several dr.s with fibromyalgia as well.  so I was put on adderall (adderrall) which has made a night n day difference its made me more normal than before my stroke  but since I started taking it I have had my left ankle get HUGE i went to E.R. they tested till they were all exausted there's no pain just tons of fluid. they released me saying they just didn't know go see another regular DR. everyone says its not the adderall (adderrall) but I experimented and if I suddenly stop taking it the swelling stops but the effects of not takung adderral is a total bummer cuz i just want to sleep n do nothing all day n next day until I begin taking it again,  now recently I started getting slight swelling in my right ankle i have never suffered from hypertension just the oposite infact.adderall (adderrall) has regulated my bp but because every time I go to Dr. My dang ankles are normal.  they just look at me like  o.k. wuteva, still get swelling in both ankles with even slight waking other days i can walk all over n get no swelling whats happening to me? I take pictures into Dr.s and my hubby goes with me as a witness but they brush me off as i am not knowing WhatI am talking about I have worked in lab for 11+ years I am very familiar with  diagnotics Etc. but I don't get credit from Dr.s for that either. can anyone hhelp me or tell me that they experiance this also?  I am almost convinced its the adderall (adderrall) but Dr.s tell me no way a pharmicist researched it for me said its been known to cause swelling but only around lungs hasnt been reported in legs or anywhere else. so then why does it not hapoen if I suddenly stop adderral? once i a great whike I wake up with swolken fingers and I can't behind them untill i get up and around for the day.  increases with excersize (not an excuse) my next plan of attack is endo. Dr. anyone else cert. crazy like Dr. tells me I am and to just wear conpressiin sox all day? ha. no thnx its summer. oh and btw im a very young 45 not 85
It sounds to me like there may be some underlining infection, or inflammation going on, and by you taking antibiotics and the swelling stops, causes me to believe that we, who are experiencing these symptoms, are more or less in need of thorough examinations, and giving better care as we deserve. I too have swelling in feet, ankles, and legs. This can be very debilitating.
I know you posted from last year,..but I am posting to you now,..please let me know what your results were.
I have swelling in my feet all the tine. I am 38 and I have had this problem for about 4 yoars. I have also been diagnosed with fibro myalgia and hyperactive thyroid disease. Before I wase diagnosed with fibro myalgia I was only15lbs over weight now that I am on all this meds. I am over 50lbs. over weight. I have no idea how to deal with the weight I onley eat once a day. I can not understand. But wheen my feet swell I have a hard time getting up  and walking around my feet are so swallen the ankle hurts bad I feel like my feet are going to rupter becouse thay are so tight. is ther somthing I can were on my legs that the sweling dose not hapen so bad  althe time.
My feet and ankles swell at the end of the day after I'm on them all day..why?
that is one heck of a testomony.  So happy for you.  Keep up the good work.  I am about 15 lbs over weight and am working on that so my feet don't swell. Doc says heart and all is good.  Have 45% block in left vein in neck.  other than that for 62 am doing good.  weight 142.  but feet and ankles swell all the time now too.  
hurts in fact. hate it but am working on it myself sense doc don't seem to know whats up either.  says stay away from salt. never been a salt person anyways but i know its in the food i eat so will watch that more closely.

thanks for your input.  
Elaine
ok I have had the same things for the last several months. Before it would be occasional but now its been constant. When I wake up they are still somewhat swollen to me but get worse thru the day. I am overweight, sit alot at the computer, and have various illnesses too like Rheumatoid arthritis which I take meds for. My rheumatologist says he doesnt think its the RA causing it. My regular doc said my heart and lungs sound fine and so was my bloodwork a couple months ago so I'm a bit frustrated. I have gained back the weight I had lost last yr so all I can think this is part of it??? Any ideas?