Vaginal Bleeding After Bowel Movement

A community for people with Women's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: medical conditions, general health, and management.

Vaginal Bleeding After Bowel Movement

Almost every time I have a bowel movement I have bright red bleeding from my vagina. It is not like a period, and seems to be coming from the rear wall (where I tore during childbirth). It is very dry down there, and when there is discharge it is only a teeny bit, and it is yellow. No itching at all, no burning, no pain, just the bleeding. I am 6 months post partum, and am nursing. Is this hormonal? or an infection? I went to the doctor but she wouldn't even give me an exam and told me is ~had~ to be my period. HELP! I am afraid to have sex and I'm scared I have a problem that is going to mess up my fertility!
Are you absolutely sure its from your vagina?  

Sometimes after a bowel movement you can have a hemorrhoid that gets angry and bleeds a little bit as you describe. Hemorrhoids are very very common after childbirth.  Hemorrhoids are enlarged veins in the rectum. They are caused from the extra weight of the pregnancy and birth process.

Also, you may want to take a mirror and examine yourself down there.  If you had stitches put in on your perineum (area between the vaginal opening and your rectum) for example, one of them could be just pulling open when you wipe.

Lastly, you may want to consider getting a different OB/GYN. I cant imagine why any doctor would send you away like that without 'making sure' of things.

Here is a really great site that can explain some post-childbirth problems and how to deal with them best:

http://welcomeaddition.com/afterchildbirth.aspx

There is some info in there about stitches and hemorrhoids.

Let me know :)

I also wanted to share that as a nurse with oodles of experience with changing diapers for the elderly that 'yellow' discharge can be just feces discoloration. It has to be coming from your rectum and not the vagina though. Hmm although it also depends on the type of yellow...food-coloring yellow or pus-type yellow?  ****

How much are you bleeding? Glad you arent in pain, itching or have a fever.  Thats always a good sign!

You did mention though that the area is very dry.  Are you sure you just arent wiping yourself so hard as to remove dry skin off causing a bleed? ****

I thought you said you were 6 weeks, I read that wrong I apologize.  You are 6 months so most likely your all healed up from the tearing and stitches.  

You can most definitely have a hemorrhoidal issue though.

Do a self-examination to see if you can pinpoint the source.

Did the doctor examine your vagina and rectum?  ****
I have been having problems with my scar tissue and the nurse practioner I went to see said to use tucks medicated pads--even though it is not a hemmoroid (sp) it is still imflamed tissue in that area due to my scar.  I am two years PP--so it can act up.  Try that first.
mandaszoo commented on LONG, but I need inpu...
1 hr ago
pb95 commented on mhv's status
KTowne, pb95, Belle313, and gloryrose commented on renae176's status
Menstrual Tracker
Track your cycles
Reach your weight goals