Vaginal Swelling

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Vaginal Swelling

I am sexually active with a man who I have been with for 2 years. When we have sex the sides of my vagina become noticeably swollen. Sex is uncomfortable and not enjoyable. There is NOT severe pain, only swelling that goes away after about 10-15 mins once we stop.

This happens every time. We have tried all types and materials of condoms as well as no condoms (I am on birth control). It swells even when we are going very slow--roughness is not what causes the swelling. We have also used different forms of lube as well, all of which has not helped.

What is wrong?! If anyone has some insight, it would be greatly appreciated. I want to be able to make love with the man that I love.
I am glad you have posted this because I have been dealing with the same thing for a long time now. I have talked to Doctors about it and they imply i'm having rough sex or sex for too long. I will keep an eye on this post so maybe I can get an answer as well....

Though I have noticed its not as bad some days as it is on other days. My swelling often reminds me of the pain i had the first time i had sex because everything is so intensly tight. Sometimes the tightness is so bad its painful to jus insert a finger....
Your birth control pill can cause vaginal dryness and make your vagina more sensitive. You may want to see about changing to another type of pill and see if that makes any difference.

You might also try washing his penis and rinsing very well just before you have intercourse. Maybe you are allergic to his soap.
This was happening before I was on birth control.

But we will try the possible allergy to soap. Thanks for your advice!
And Jenn,

For me the swelling starts almost immediately as soon as my boyfriend is inside me. Within 30 seconds or so. Is this the case for you?

The second part of what you said about extreme, uncomfortable tightness doesn't relate to me. He always has to finger me before fully inserting his penis, however an inserted finger never is painful to me. I heard something that you reminded me of called vaginismus. Check it out and see if it applies to you?