Vaginal bleeding after/during sex and with a bowel movement

A community for people with Women's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: medical conditions, general health, and management.

Viewing 201-202 comments:
I am currently 10 weeks pregnant and started having bleeding with every BM just 3 weeks ago.  2 weeks ago I was given an ultrasound and everything appeared to be fine.  They are now regulating my hormone levels to make sure I'm not miscarrying.  I've never had this problem before (before pregnancy) but I have a feeling it's not pregnancy related.  I think it's just a coincidence that it's starting now.  I had no problems conceiving (first month of trying) and I have a 2 yr old already.  But I did have a miscarriage at 5 months last November and had to have a D&E (like a D&C) to remove the baby.  I too had HPV about 12 years ago, but was given a biopsy at that time and everything appeared to be fine.  Every pap since then has been negative for everything.

Yesterday my cervix was swabbed for infection, and just the light swabbing hurt as I was so sensitive.  I'm interested to know whether it is an infection, and whether or not this pregnancy will continue.  I am still bleeding after every BM.  Bright red, dripping into the toilet.  I'm very nervous about this and wonder what effect it will have on baby.

I will keep you posted on how things progress.

Like all of you here, I am sharing the same symptoms, medical tests/experiences, and lack of information... and can echo how nice it was to find so many women talking about it!  By the same token, I can also echo your frustration!!!!  In an effort to sound an alarm, I wrote this letter to the two main OB/GYN societies in the U.S...  I just thought to share it with you (I hope you all don't mind that I included a link to this forum!) I don't expect an answer, but if I hear one I will certainly post again!

"To Whom It May Concern at
The American Congress of Obstetrics and Gynecologists
and The American Gynecological and Obstetrical Society,

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this letter and for providing any assistance or information you may have to offer!  I will be as brief as I can be.

In seeking answers to my own persistent symptoms of unusual vaginal bleeding over the last few years (with three different doctors) and finding no explanations, I turned, as many women do, to online sources for OB/GYN information.  In doing so, I discovered hundreds of women - of all ages and stages, with or without children - talking about exactly the same symptoms of a particular kind of vaginal bleeding and how they have all been "living with it" without accurate diagnoses for years.  I know that the internet is not necessarily a reliable source; however, I was mainly struck by how many of us describe the exact same experience - and the exact same frustration at finding no clear answers or solutions from our doctors. They seem to be STUMPED!  (Here is one example of such a discussion: http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Womens-Health/Vaginal-bleeding-after-during-sex-and-with-a-bowel-movement/show/31554)  So I am reaching out to you, as leaders in the OB/GYN profession, to seek guidance and some insight into the medical discussion of this topic.  I'm sure for every woman who has shared their symptoms with their doctors or online, there are many others who have not.

Most commonly, this vaginal bleeding occurs at the same time in our cycles - after ovulation, during the luteal phase (beginning a few days up to 2 weeks prior to menstration and continuing until menstrual bleeding) - and can be seen during bowel movements or after/during sex.  The bleeding is most certainly vaginal, either bright bright red and dripping into the toilet or old and brown when we wipe.  For most of us, we have regular menstration and this is distinct from that.  Some have experienced pain along with this bleeding, but not all.  In addition to these shared symptoms, we all have one other important thing in common; our doctors have tried out many possibilities and found "NOTHING WRONG."  Almost all of us have been to multiple GP's and OB/GYN's (in addition to GE's) and have had a whole range diagnostic procedures, thankfully ruling out cervical and uterine cancers, polyps, fibroid tumors, endomedriosis (some have it; most do not), vagicitis, and everything else under the sun.  Some of us have been told we might have things like "disorganized endometrium", "friable cervix", "Tilted Uterus", "Hemorrhagic Cysts" -  with procedures suggested that are more frightening than the original symptoms. Often these procedures - including hysterectomy - fail to stop the bleeding.  ALL of us have been on Oral Contraceptives (pill, nuvaring, IUD, etc.) and the onset of these symptoms begin to occur while taking them or after we stop.  Some women have even being prescribed them to help with these symptoms, with no result.  A few women seem to have had some success monitoring their hormone levels and increasing their body's natural production of progesterone (through natural creams, synthetic depositories, herbal medicines, and acupuncture) - learning from some wisdom in fertility treatments.  But many others have said that their doctors have refused to test their hormone levels. (For instance, my doctor did everything she could think of and then told me it was probably "hormonal" and, basically, to live with it (though my uterus is a little tilted.)  Others had doctors who were flat out dismissive, never heard of anything like it, or thought they were inventing it.))  Some have begun to try food allergies and to change their diets.  Results of all of this pending.

Obviously, such cyclical and frequent vaginal bleeding interferes with our daily functioning, sexual and relationship health, and stress levels.  Additionally, we have many fears about - and many different success rates of - healthy conception and delivery.  Most importantly, all the women sharing their stories have also expressed extreme disappointment and frustration in the lack of expertise and knowledge about the topic by medical professionals, even when their symptoms have persisted for many years (in some cases decades).  It is possible that many OB/GYNs have seen these cases more than others, but this expertise does not seem to be widely shared.  I understand that every woman's body is different, that we all have different experiences/biologies/genetics/personal histories, and that there may be many factors.  However, it is surprising that our stories are all the same, and we are still left with so many questions.  Perhaps there is something broader going on - something environmental, dietary, or a shared side effect?  At the very least, if we had the information, we could made more responsible decisions.

Can you tell me/us:  Is this topic being raised in discussion between OB/GYN doctors?  Is there any current research on these symptoms and possible causes?  Is anyone sounding any alarms about birth control, environmental toxins, food industry changes, or other hard-to-pinpoint possible causes of unusual vaginal bleeding late in the menstrual cycle?  (Is anyone presenting anything on the topic at your upcoming Conference in Chicago?)  If so, I hope that doctors will begin to share their knowledge and disseminate information more widely, so that the women going through this can feel more understood, listened to, cared for, taken seriously, and brought back to normal reproductive and sexual health - the main goals of your practices.

Thank you so much for reading, and I hope to hear from you soon!"

---
Thank you amanda_anne. for your detailed post. I truly do hope you find some answers and please post them when you do. I am 30 and just this year has experiance this in the last 6 months.

I April  2011 I found out I was pregnant. at about 6 weeks I started spoting with BM, of course any blood when pregnant cause alarms to go off. I went to 2 different emergency rooms, 2 GP'S, and an OBGYN over the next 5 weeks. No one had any answers from anyone. at 13 weeks I went to the Emergency again for spotting and they informed me I was having a miscarriage.  After a long painful ordeal the bleeding had stoped and I though my body was getting back to normal. Had a regular period an have been trying to conceive again.

Unfortunatley the bleeding has come back while I have a BM, I am not pregant and this has never happened before this year.

If anyone can provide some insight it would be great appriecated.

Thanks for reading.
thank you for summing it up for us.  Have you received any response?
Very Helpful. THANKS
There is another post that I have responded to regarding friable cervix on medhelp.org. It's a lot of people with similar symptoms as described in this post. I too have this condition "friable cervix". My OBGYN didn't seem too concerned & didn't recommend treatment. She did say she could do something to the cervix to try to make it less friable but I decided not to bother because every person I've heard of having it done, has had a reccurance of symptoms shortly after the procedure. I have never had HPV (seems common) and I've never had any children. I am currently 32 and this began when I was about 28. I do however have IBD and I wonder if inflammation has something to do with my cervix being friable. I do believe many of my issues are hormonal in nature and possibly have something to do with birth control pills. I have been on hormonal birth control for about 10 years. I recently switched to a non-estrogen pill called cerazette and it has helped a bit. I wouldn't say I am cured, I still have strange bleeding but I only seem to have it around my period - I can deal with that. I think I will see somoene about my hormones. Something is out of whack. I am sure I won't find any answers, if I do, I will report back.

I find it very frustrating that so many of us are dealing with bleeding after sex & BM and we can't find any answers.
I appreciate your letter to find answers, but I also share these symptoms with no apparent cause and you had said everyone was on birth control pills.  I am almost 49 years old and I have only taken birth control pills for a 3 month period around age 23 to stop irregular bleeding (which unbeknownst to me would cause me to become regular and thus could get pregnant).  I have two grown children, one miscarriage, had cramping and bleeding throughout the 2nd pregnancy, had a tubal 21 years back, and in the last 6 years have experienced severe cramping that only strong pain pills can control and extreme bleeding with periods.  My periods are debilitating and generally will cause at least one seriously embarrassing episode of unstoppable bleeding in public that no matter what protection I use doesn't stop it from getting everywhere.  I also occasionally bleed lightly after sex and more heavily during a BM 3-7 days before my period starts which is how I know it is coming.  I have had cervical displaysia 15 years ago that was frozen and no abnormal paps sinc. I have a retroverted uterus and a cervix that is in a direct 'firing line' position.  I have periods for 10+days that include days of bright red bleeding similar to a nosebleed, and days of regular menstruation with an incredible number and size of clots.  These clots are so large they escape my super heavy duty industrial size pads and end up in the floor at work, at the grocery, at a restaurant, and is humiliating.  I have been tested for everything to no avail.  All I've ever been diagnosed with is an abnormally thickened lining of the uterus.  I don't have fibroids or polyps that were found during D&C, but I do have colon polyps that were removed and a strong family history of colon cancer.  However, the blood is not coming from my colon.  I was negative for Endometriosis.  My doctor had the same reaction to bleeding during a BM as everyone else's.  I have just this week cancelled my hysterectomy because I'm just not ready to get old yet and I fear gaining weight. I'm having a uterine ablation in a few days although I feel pretty sure will not really help whatever this true cause is or help discover what it is, but should stop the ridiculous bleeding.  I have continuous abnominal pain, discomfort, and tenderness and cannot tolerate having it touched by anyone or any clothing.  I am thin, but my lower abdomen is larger than my breasts and it's impossible to find clothes to fit.  I had no idea this many people share my symptoms.  It seems to me that unless you have an obvious well understood disease the doctors don't know what the problem is.  I guess at least I know it might not be normal, but isn't serious.
try vinegar douches.  I had the same thing - vaginal bleeding after intercourse and BM a year or so ago.  worried, researched, etc...  tried vinegar douches to naturally cleanse.  I used a much stronger vinegar solution than if you would buy it in the stores premade.  Sometimes almost all vinegar.  I did that for a while (over a few months whenever I worried about it or saw the blood)  Overtime the bleeding stopped and I haven't had it for about a year or so.  Now it has returned once or twice and I am going back to my vinegar douches.  I think Vinegar is a natural safe cleanser and helps more than we know.  It worked for me!  Maybe others could try and post their results...    Some stores douche bottles are easier to refill on your own than others.  Pick up a pack of a couple different brands and see what has the biggest opening to refill.  Good luck!
Thank you so very much for your kindness, summing all of our problems and posting to the guys who knows best how to tackle these irregularities. i have the same problem, and really trust that some light will be shed upon all of us somehow. However, we can trust in our maker, God almighty to sail us through till clock menopause, since there are many women in their 70s,80s and 90s, who underwent the same problems and they triumphed through. Guys, keep a healthy lifestyle, relax and be happy to be wonderfully and fearfully created! We shall live and not die, for the blessings of God do not bring along any sorrow..the devil is a liar, our wombs are covered by the blood of Jesus!
terrible when you can't talk about your situation, and spouse just wants sex and says your fine stop talking about it. I am  so uncomfortable having sex now, but I am going to try the vinager thing, has that helped anyone else's problem.

Hey Ladies,

Thank you so much for all your comments! It does make you feel more normal since there are so many people with the same symptoms. I am struggling to conceive and wondering whether it is linked. I am in my mid 20's. It would be interesting to note whether everyone has been on the contraceptive pill at one time or another before these symptoms commenced?
Take care all :)  
bless us i also have bleeding after passing stools, having sex also sets my period off. i have been going to docs for two years now but still no joy of finding out what it can be. i have been going through towels like nobodys business. and has been getting worse since my sterilsation, i have also been told that this could be caused by a prolappsed womb, bladder or rectum.
I was on this site a few weeks ago. I had symptoms of bright blood mid cycle that was expelled while urinating, defecating or simply pushing hard. I was convinced I had cervical cancer!!   I made appointment with an obgyn and during my pap exam she noticed that I had an old tampon that had been pushed inside of me!  She believed this was the cause of the bleeding!  I must have inadvertently thought I didn't have a tampon in and pushed it inside string and all with a second tampon!  Get examed asap if you are having bleeding mid cycle.... if this is your cause, you are at risk for toxic shock!
Thanks to all of you for sharing your stories, all of your stories really helped me.

I am 30 years old and I have been bleeding for a year now. I usually bleed between 10 and 7 days before my period, when I have a bowel movement or I push down, and when I have sex. It's usually fresh blood.

I have had a history of non successful use of birth control pills, and by non successful I mean that every 3-8 month I would have to change it because I would have bloody discharge in the middle of the month. The last birth control I used was the ring, which worked for 6-8 months.  

I mentioned to my former doctor a year ago that I was having bloody discharge and bleeding after intercourse, she said it was not normal but  that "maybe he was too big for me".... I am not sure how my husband and sexual couple for 4 years can suddenly grow and hurt me that much :S.
Around the same time, the ring "stopped" working, and at that moment we were thinking of having a family, so I stopped taking any birth control.

By September 2011, the bleeding was more often and more quantity, for which I went to the doctor again, and she said that I had " CERVICAL ECTROPION" and I had to "learn how to live with it".
I sought another opinion and my current doctor said it is called with different names, but that I have EVERSION which are cells from the cervix that come out and react to the hormones, that's why I bled mostly in the second part of the cycle. He also mentioned, he would never put me in the ring. He has also mentioned that I probably developed like this, and he does not know why this started beeing such a problem now....

Currently, I have had two sessions of silver nitrate treatment in order to "cauterize" the cells that are bleeding.  I am also doing some acupuncture, in order to attack the problem on all areas! Hopefully they will work! I will keep you guys posted on the results....

As far as conceiving, I haven't been able to, obviously, because the blood is changing the pH of the vagina and probably all the spermatozoides are being killed.... :(  

I would encourage you all to at least to get a second opinion on your diagnosis or to seek for a diagnosis for those who do not have one! Also seek for a possible treatment. I was worried, but I was to ignorant to question the first doctor.

Good luck to you all and I hope the person who wrote to the Doctors received an answer.

Hi Ladies,

I've experienced occasional vaginal bleeding during intercourse for the past 6-8 months. Results of my exam was normal, so my GYN concluded that it was likely due to vaginal tearing. Two days ago, I noticed bright red vaginal bleeding during bowel movement and it happened again today. Although my stool was very hard, it is still very concerning. I noticed a commonality in that many of us with this problem were diagnosed with HPV at some point. I was diagnosed about 15 years ago, received treatment, and have had normal PAPs since.

My GYN referred a ultrasound to rule out fibroids.........hope to get answers.
This post is almost 4 years old.  But I would like to thank you for this.  I am going to talk to my doctor about this procedure.  I have had tests and blank looks from my docture for over 3 years.  Until I found this forum, I really felt like I was the only person on earth with these symptoms.  Thank you everyone for sharing there experiences!
I have been having this issue and found this site while googling my symptoms. I have spotting between periods which is darker blood, but the scary thing for me is that when I have a BM there is bright red blood in the water. I thought for a while that maybe it was a back passage problem, but it became obvious it was vaginal bleeding. I even checked using a tampon. I also get a dull ache in my lower abdomen and lower back. My medical history is one pregnancy and birth, and a history of cervical polyps which made pap tests difficult to the point that I stopped having them. I would just bleed like crazy as soon as the nurse touched me and they couldn't get a clear result. I have been single and sex-free for five years so i don't know if sex would result in bleeding though I assume it would. I'm 37. I've been getting this bleeding for 4 or 5 months. I've never taken any birth control, always used condoms. I have a low thyroid and take levothyroxine for that. It's also worth mentioning that I am currently overweight, that could be an issue. I'm about to embark on a high protein low carb diet. I'm also going to bite the bullet and seek medical advice! Good luck everyone!
I also have these issues and the doctors can't find out why.  Here's my stats.  Age 32, been having them for about 8 months, TTC for about the same amount of time too.  I also get an achy, dull pain in the lower right pelvic area on and off throughout the month, sometimes it hurts worse than others.  Ever since we started trying to conceive, I have been getting none stop bacterial vaginosis infections.  Been to the doctor multiple times: pap is normal, ultra sound didn't show anything, pelvic exam nothing unusual.  I fear I might have Endometriosis because ever since going off BC pills (which I was on for about 10 years) 3 years ago I would get extremely painful cramps on the first day of my period.  But those went away when I started doing acupuncture.  I also get the painful deep penetration with sex.  I do have HPV and have had 2 LEEP procedures, but this has been 6 years ago and everything has been normal since.  Anytime I go to the dr for a pap test and they scrape my cervix I bleed a little.  I also have stomach issues, never really been diagnosed with anything, but had a polyp removed a couple years ago.  I would love to know if anyone has had success getting pregnant or found any answers for this.  Thanks!
What worries me is that there's so many ladies experiencing this and a few different outcomes.

I'm 23, have been on the pill for the last 5 years or so. I've recently had an STD check up and everything has come back negative. My periods are regular but I always seem to get spotting a couple of times a month after a strained bowel movement. I have IBS and often take Imodium (immodium) to relieve symptoms, creating the adverse effect.

The spotting is usually light brown or light pink, and sometimes is a once off, other times can be on and off for a couple of days.

I've also noticed I've been getting stinging pains in my lower back, but I've no idea if it's connected.

I am concerned that I keep spotting, I am worried mainly about my reproductive health and feel like I want answers sooner rather than later incase any problems can be resolved, but at the same time I'm scared of having invasive tests and potentially making my symptoms worse.

I'd be interersted to see if Amanda Anne got a reply to the email she sent to the "American Gynecological and Obstetrical Society" as it seems like there is no knowledge on this subject. My doctor actually said to me stunned WHAT? When you have a BOWEL movement? As if she'd never heard it before. A little unnerving to say the least!

I'd also be curious to see how many people have been on birth control or are currently, doctors have said to me it could just be effects of the pill but I find this hard to believe.

ALSO! finally.

there are a LOT of pregnant women online that write this as one of their symtoms (symptoms), and it is considered fairly normal to spot during pregnancy within the first trimester apparently? This makes me wonder how pregnancy could cause this and why we would be suffering it too?
Thank goodness I found this forum, to know I am not alone.  I have been having the same issues as all of you - vaginal bleeding after a bowel movement, particularly if it is a firm one.  I noticed it the first time about 6 - 8 months ago, but unlike many of you, it seemed to happen for me right around my period (a few days before and a few days after, when I was already having a bit of spotting).  I didn't think much of it, and assumed that it was just extra period blood being pushed through.

However, I am now 13 weeks pregnant, and I am still having the vaginal bleeding after a bowel movement.  Clearly I am not having my period, and there is a small amount of red blood immediately after the BM.  It does not linger, and does not transfer to my panties.  I did have some other bleeding/spotting during my first trimester, but it has all stopped, except for when I have a BM.  I have another doctor's appointment scheduled for 3 weeks from now, and I will raise it with GP then.  However, based on the experience everyone here has had with their doctors, I am not too hopeful for an explanation!  If I receive one, I will post.
ok i am 41 3 kids and the EXACT same thing started happening to me about 5 monthes ago my tubes are tied and have been for 21 years. my periods are always a week ahead of scheadule so say i start my period on the first in january and bleed for 5 days then i start it again the 24th jan then again 19th feb and so on but i know im going to start because when i have a bowel movement i bleed EXACTLY 2day before my period please keep me informed im scared and do not have health insurance so the more i know the better i feel i could not afford to be seen by a obgyn i did make an appointment with clinic but its not for another 7 weeks before i can be seen i thank you for your post
This has been very enlightening!! I thought for certain I must be crazy. Turns out, not at all!

I am 35, no kids, normal Paps, no STD's, doc told me years ago I most likely have Endometriosis, never had surgery for it and instead tried BCP as hormone therapy. I've always been very susceptible to yeast and bacterial infections, during which my Cervix becomes very sensitive and bleeds easily.

About 7 months ago I got Mirena (IUD). Since the Mirena, I have had vaginal bleeding with bowel movements and sometimes with sex. At first I attributed it to my body adjusting to the Mirena but after several months of spotting, I knew something wasn't right. I called my OBGYN's office only to have the nurse laugh at me and mock me. Nice lady, huh?

Now after reading so many comments left by so many ladies, I think my issue is the Mirena is being pushed on (by my bowels or during sex) and my Cervix or Uterus is expelling some blood. I have some pretty bad cramps along with it, which makes sense to me if my Cervix is irritated at all. Perhaps my Cervix pools a lot of blood, like some of the other ladies mentioned.

This has been helpful! I hope none of you settle for just accepting it as part of being a woman. You shouldn't have to live in discomfort!!
Oh sweety,

I am sooooo on your page, this has been happening to me for yeeeeears now and I am also soo over it, I just at this point would love to have a hysterectamy and get it over with. I had a horrible procedure done by a gyno which was very painful, I have actually put off finding out the result, but I guess i should go, its just good toknow there are so many others who are going throught the same thing, although I a very sorry we are ALL going through it. It is so horrible and yes, it sooo puts you off having intercourse and really does not make you feel very attractive or desirable with all the painful bits that go along with it all.
I"m soooo glad i have found you guys!!! I'm 42 and have all this too! Bleeding with intercourse and with a BM. I"ve had it for years and gone to a doctor years ago said my cervix was sensitive. Went to another doctor same thing so i gave up! My daughter is 4 years old now but all through my pregnancy I bled so bad I thought it was a miscarriage but the hospital would send me home with that saying unexplained bleeding! But anyway here I am still bleeding with BM's and intercourse. I also have 2 other children 21 years old and 11 years old. It's good to know I'm not lone. Sooo glad I found this.
After 6 yrs of bleeding and no one knowing much, they found a fibroid the size of a softball in the muscle wall of my uterus.  Instead of having a hysterectomy I have a Uterine Artery Embolization.  I'm 4 weeks post surgery now and things have greatly improved.  I also had another fibroid, but smaller.  They found them doing a vaginal ultrasound, followed by a MRI with dye.  Surgery was at U of MN - they were very good !
I am the 34 yr old mother of 3.  I have been having these symptoms for 2yrs now.  I am going to the doctor in Aug.  I have had no irregular Paps, no Endo, but was told that I had a dark shaded area in my uterus that was biopsied and neg.  I was also told that I have Ovarian cysts.  
I was deployed to iraq in 2010, and have had these symptoms since.   I hope that they find a cause.  I am concerned that maybe these cysts have grown, or that I may be following in my mothers footstep with uterin cancer.  Please continue to update this blog with findings.  It may help the rest of us when talking to our OB's.
I have been experiencing abnormal bleeding and I have had every test done to figure out the cause. Unexplainable as all results have come back normal. That should be a relief but it’s not because I want to know why and fix it. I wish I would have found this site before I started on my quest for answers. This site has given me some relief because I have found some helpful information and I’m not alone. With that said I also find it terrifying that so many women have the same symptoms and no one seems to know the cause. I thought I would post the sites that I have looked at in hopes that they may help you with your quest for answers.

Friable Uterine-
http://www.allhealthlinks.com/friable-cervix.html

Adenomyosis-
http://women.webmd.com/adenomyosis-symptoms-causes-treatments

Cervical Ectropion-
http://voices.yahoo.com/cervical-ectropion-common-cause-bleeding-after-7144566.html

Cervical Disorders-
http://www.johnshopkinshealthalerts.com/symptoms_remedies/cervical_disorders/2259-1.html

Other terms used-
Disorganized endometrium-
Sensitive cervix
Hey I am having a similar problem, what came out of ur visit to  ur physician?
I happened upon your comment, as I have been suffering from the same symptoms as all of us have been, and saw what you had done.  I know this was 4 years ago, and was curious if things stayed "fixed" for you?  I had a D&C 6 months ago, and things had been fine up until this past week, now it's back to the way things were.  I would love to know how things are for you since that procedure.  Thank you!
I have had the same thing happening to me for years!  I bleed after a bowel movement  - bright bright red and it continues for days and can have clots.  I had a hysterectomy two years ago.  This was happening before and now after.  Everything but my cervix was taken.  I also get cramp like pains in my lower left side - reminds me of my horrible cramps I used to get with my periods.  I have had pap smears and all "normal". I have had ultrasounds vaginal and abdominal "normal".  I am 41 have had two children with no other problems.  I was so excited to never have a period again and this just ruins it for me.  
I too am so happy to have found this forum, I got an irregular pap smear, had a cone biopsy four months ago and then two months ago my periods would start with a week of having brown blood discharge, and another week of really heavy periods. I had another pap smear and bled right after it(this never used to happen), and bleed after sex. And to make matters worse, I now have red blood from my vagina when I have a bowel movement. I am at the doctors and gynecologists, and worry all the time. Now at least I don't feel as stressed because I know others have the same problems. My gynecologist wants to insert an IUD to see if my periods will settle down, and if this doesn't work is talking about a hysterectomy. I like all of you don't feel happy when the tests come back all clear and fine, because the symptoms don't go away. I want to be healthy and in shape but find that all I do is stress about this and feel alot of frustration, It would be lovely if some doctor somewhere could find a solution to this problem.
I have bright red blood from my vagina every time I strain on a bowel movement ( I am sure it is not from the rectum). There is alot there for about three wipes then no more bleeding until I have another bowl movement.  This has happend all month long no matter what time in my cycle. I have been trying to get pregnant and was on clomid last month and it left a cyst behind. I went to my fertility doctor since this bleeding and she did an ultrasound and said my lining looked good at it was probably just hormones from the cyst? Does this sound right? I had a pap done 6 months ago that had some inflammation in the cells but came back negative for hpv. Could this bleeding be a sign of cervical cancer? I also have endometriosis could this cause it? I also have low progesterone after I ovulate which is impacting why I havent gotten pregnant. Does that seem a pattern to anyone experiencing this? It doesnt help that I was recently diagnosed with thyroid cancer so I am very sensitive to any problems right now!
I am curious to know if we all have something in common like, we've all had a c-section or we've all had our tubes tied.  Have we all had a miscarriage followed by a DNC?  I have several sisters and they all had this problem but we all have shared the above procedures in common in some form or another.  In particular the DNC after miscarriage.  One sister said that the doctor told her her problem was 'inhesional tumors' that's scarring of the internal incision on the inside of the body.  Sometimes it will fuse to other internal parts in the body like the scar from a c-section fuses to part of the intestines during the healing process.  I am just wondering if there is really a common thread for us all.  
Hi Guys,

I am having the same problem. I am 26, never had kids and not on any medication. I bleed from my vagina during and after a bowel movement, it's usually dark red and clotted. Got ultrasound, hysteroscopy, pap and all the blood test done, happy that everything came back normal but it still doesn't stop. Just a thought, I have had ulcerative colitis and IBS, the doctors are confused which one actually....could it be because of that??? Does any of you have any IBS sort of problem?
Can any doctor help us here? I have the same problem too. bleed after BM. I have a polyps according to my doctor. Does that the reason for the bleed?
Me also... The DR said no cancer in pap or uterus scrap... been having blood from vaginal when pooping also.. I am wondering... how many of you have had at one point Merina iud.ssss??  I didn't have this problem till after that point.. that's my thoughts..
it sounds like pid pelvic inflammatory disease which if left untreated can cause you not to be able to have children this is the same for gonorrhea and Chlamydia ask to b checked for PID!
hi really happy i've found this thread. i've had light bleeding for 34 days now. it started 5 days before my 'period' was due - which didn't come and ive realised the pattern now, when I have a BM in the morning I have a light bleed, maybe a little dark blood in the afternoon. I was due my 'period' again yesterday - which hasn't come. been to the doc's who have tested for pregnancy through bloods - negative, tested for STI's - negative. I will be making an appt tomorrow for more answers. I am 24, had my first child 2010, been off the birth control pill 10 months and got back to a normal 28 day cycle before all this started happening. it is early stages of this problem I know, but its not in anyway normal for me. I hope the doc will investigate further - fingers crossed.
Just an update...... I have had a telephone appointment with a new doctor, She has sent a referral for an ultrasound and i'm going in to see her next Tuesday for more blood tests and an examination. I will keep updating, as this may help someone one day, ive spent hours and hours trying to find someone who has missed periods, negative home pregnancy test and bloods, and bleeding vaginally only with bowel movements.
51 days of vaginal bleeding after a BM ..... no "periods" during this time. Tests have come back clear for thyroid, hormonal, bacterial problems and iron is fine too. i have an ultrasound appt October 2nd. refused a smear as i am only 24 8months old! Have to be 25 for nhs to do it! So inquired for private which a nurse will call me back with info. costs £125..... Alot but worth every penny where my life is concerned.
Hi all, I'm joining in as I too have a similar story. I was on the cerazzette pill for 10 yrs. In Nov 2012 I reduced the dose to one every other day.. By January 2013 I started lightly spotting so I began to take the pill everyday again.  However the bleeding didn't stop.  In Jan 2013  I also started to suffer with lower back pain which I thought I'd hurt at the gym.
Back ache continued and got worse.  In march doctor put me on Zapain and Naprosyn for pain relief.  This caused severe constipation.  The bleeding continued and became more regular. Practically every day, especially more after a bowel movement.  In May this Year I had the symptoms of a UTI, but all tests came back negative, I was given Trimethoprim for 3 days, within a day the symptoms came back and I was given a 7 day course of treatment.  This went on for 7 weeks. I was in agony, my bladder hurt so bad, the urge to pee was constant everyday, making it difficult to go anywhere without toilets near by.. A simple 2 mile drive to work, left me in tears, because with the urge came bladder pain.  On top of all that the bleeding got heavier, it did eventually stop for a few days , but after a hard bowel movement it started bleeding again.   I have been through hell since January, my back is still agony, I'm having physio at hospital but it's doing nothing.  I cry myself to sleep.
After seeing an Urologist, I was put on a 2 week course of Trimethoprim which finished last week and now I'm on a 6 month course to kill the infection in my bladder. (Even though no infection is showing).  Very confusing..  Now I need to solve my bleeding, it's everyday, sometimes very lightly, sometimes it stops. When I pass a hard stool, or even strain to go, on wipe the tissue is covered in blood and clots. it's scary as he'll.   toilet bowl is bright red.. I'm going back to docs to have some more swabs taken and a pelvic exam. Fingers crossed ill get an answer but I'm not holding much hope. X
i dont know if you'll read this scene its been years sense you've posted thank you for the knowledge of cervical ectropion it gives me at least something to say to my doctor maybe he'll have a clue were to go from here the bleeding thing is getting old and frankly quite a turn off every time me and my husband get close
I must say, reading this has both calmed me down (knowing that others have my same issue and it's not life threatening) and made me nervous (seeing as many of you haven't been able to get answers...like myself). I've had vaginal bleeding during and after sex, and also when straining during BMs, for upwards of 5 years now.  I've seen two doctors and they have no clue what's going on with me.  My PAPs and ultrasounds are normal.  During my exam, when the doc touched my cervix it would bleed.  I too have been told I have a sensitive cervix.  At my last visit (April 2013) I tested positive for Ureaplasma. My doc said they recently starting testing for this with PAPs and it's actually very common.  I guess it's something that occurs naturally within a man and is sexually transmitted.  Both myself and my husband were treated with an antibiotic and we are now clear of it. So, I'm wondering if Ureaplasma has come up with anyone else?  I know this post is old, but the information is still relevant.
Hi I am a 38 year old female, never had children about 8 months ago i started getting dark vaginal bleeding with stringy clots. My periods were always regular and the bleeding in between is a daily occurance, however i have noticed the blood is heavier and bright red when i have a bout of constipation or pass a hard BM. I have been to four different doctors, referred to two different gynos, one said endemeterious, then said it was not that, the other said ovarian cysts on either ovary however they are to small to remove, I am booked in for a further blood test this week as the last CA125 blood test was unusually high. I have now noticed my periods have stopped on the normal due date started to come 2 weeks later that happened last month and again i have passed the original date this month so expecting it this week about 18th will wait and see.
I also had one doctor say it could be the start of menopause. I am trying natural remedies which has stopped the blood during the day but its there when i wake up and have first bowel movement and now stools have been soft for 3 weeks. I take raw natural coconut oil 1 Tea spoon every day and 1 tea spoon of Munukka honey 15+ UMF, I have cut out sugar in tea mostly all junk food, especially fried food from takeaways this seems to help with general health around and the weight just seems to stay off something good out of this depressing situation hope this helps other sufferers  
Hi.
I've also have slight vaginal bleeding after orgasm or a bowel movement.  As though its the 'push down' that causes it.  I had an abnormal smear test result and tested positive for HPV and was cin2.  Had lletz ( laser) treatment and am all fine now.  This bleeding started after my colposcopy and lletz treatment.  I am now clear of HPV and my smear is normal.  It wasn't until I spoke to the nurse and my GP and they said this can be quite common when you are ovulating, if your body has been under stress.  
I am not medically trained in any way.  So please get checked out before you drive yourself crazy!!  X x x
Yes! I had the Novasure procedure done also 2 years ago. Due to bleeding during & after intercourse. Unfortunately the Novasure procedure did not work for me. Now for the last 6 months I have had bleeding after a BM if it's close to my cycle time (within a week of my cycle) I have my yearly done in December. I hope to get answers then. I get concerned since I have had Kidney cancer and Atypical Ductal Hyperplasia with breast. So Anything odd with my body scares the mess out of me "literally"!
I have had the same problem,I suffer with fibromyalgia and bone pain syndrome,I was told for years that I have iIBS, but after a colonoscopy I was told I hadnt,I have noticed when I need to open my bowels I'm passing blood from my front,but it only happens when I get this severe pain in my lower back,I've had a ablation done so I no longer have periods,and haven't done since it was done.yet I still bleed when opening my bowels once the pain is there,doctors seem baffled
I'm 39, have 2 children.  After my 2nd child was born I started taking the birth control pill Cerazette.  Soon after I started suffering nausea, abdominal pain and anxiety so after 3 months I stopped taking it.  The symptoms eased immediately but over the next few months gradually came back.  After about a year of suffering with the symptoms I went to the doctors and had a lot of tests all negative.  He told me I have IBS.  Now nearly 5 years later I have started experiencing vaginal bleeding after a bowel movement.  Happens when bowel movements are hard and difficult to get out, about 5 days before my period is due.  Doctor is not concerned.  He has tested me for bowel and ovarian cancer and ruled those out.  Interesting that a lot of people have mentioned IBS.
Viewing 201-202 comments:
CARBS!
2 hrs ago by gymdandee
pb95 commented on mandaszoo's status
pb95 commented on photo
Menstrual Tracker
Track your cycles
Reach your weight goals