Vaginal discharge smells like vinegar? (soory, i know it's gross, ...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Vaginal discharge smells like vinegar? (soory, i know it's gross, but i need to know)

ok so this is embarresing, but i really dont want to go to a doctor unless absolutely necessary. so here goes: Im 16 and a virgin. Ive noticed that my vaginal smell has changed. It used to have a musty smell that wasnt bad or anything, it was something I would consider normal for a woman.

But lately it has a sour smell, kinda like vinegar potato chips. Its not a too strong, I cant smell it through my clothes or anything, bt my underwear now smells of it. My discharge is the same healthy color and consistency that it has always been (clear, not too thick or too runny), and i dont itch, so i dont think this is BV or a yeast infection. However, it does dry yellow on my panties (but i repeat, its NOT an abnormal color when it comes out)

As far as I know, my diet is the same. The only difference in my lifestyle is that ive switched my products, such as soap and shampoo, to all natural stuff; and Ive been taking more baths recently, just with plain water.  I don't use anything with fragrances down there, nor do i douche. I just cant understand the sudden change. And I'm scared that if it smells like vinegar, it might taste like vinegar, which would be a problem if i ever have a bf who wants to go down on me. I really don't wanna go through a guy telling me "you taste sour".

So, does this sound like a normal smell? What caused the sudden change in smell? Are there any natural home remedies that i can do to change it back? Should i stop taking baths? I really don't think its something serious enough to warrant a visit to the Doc, so please don't suggest it. Any other advise would be greatly appreciated. TY (:
Our vaginal fragrance can change quite dramatically based on what we eat, for example if you were a meat eater and switched over to a vegan, the scents would be different.  If you eat a lot acidic food or are following a non-alkaline diet this could also be the cause.  But the fact that you have switched to all natural soaps could also be one of the reasons for the change in scent.  Natural products do clean us differently.  You might want to use a natural fragrant soap, even lavender fragrance soap or sandalwood can be refreshing for a woman.  What brands are you currently using?
I'm using Nubian Heritage. I think the one I'm using right now is the goats milk. Like I said though, I really don't think its my diet because it hasn't changed at all.
I would try to change the soap to see if that helps at all.
Hi Angie I'm having the same problem and I really hate it. I noticed that the discussion above is a few years old so I'm wondering if you have found any remedies yet? Thank you, I'd greatly appreciate it. :)
Vinegar scented moisture or discharge is a sign of normal pH. It will change throughout the month. Perhaps while you are ovulating it will smell a little stronger or a bit sweet. During menstruation it may smell more metallic (discharge of minerals).
Don't worry about normal vaginal scent with your boyfriend. If he doesn't like the smell, well he doesn't like vagina. Chances are he will as your body is releasing pheromones too.
Only time to worry is when it smells quite strongly of "fish" (which means the pH has risen too high.) This often indicates bacterial vaginosis which is very common and easily taken care of at the doctor's office.
Things you can do to maintain your healty pH is just eat enough and a balanced diet, avoid artificial sweeteners, use sea salt rather than refined ...that sort of thing.