Vaginal tearing and clitoral hood tearing

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

So, I am 19, turning 20 soon. I have been sexually active since I was 16 with the same man for the past almost 3 1/2 years. We originally started out using condoms, and I eventually went to birth control (Junel). I stopped using birth control, and we went back to condoms for a long time. After a while I noticed I had pain around my vaginal opening after sex, even with using lube (we always use lube). About six months ago I went back on birth control, this time, Syronx, which I like a lot better. Not as many side effects.

Last week I was a dummy and moving out of our college dorm room and I packed away my pills. I was on my last week, and I didn't realize when I was ending and when I would need to start a new pack. We had sex with a condom on Wednesday night, and it was probably the most painful sex I've ever had. It usually hurts after I am finished and he finishes. I went into the bathroom and noticed blood. On Friday I went to Planned Parenthood (I don't have health insurance). I talked to them about missing my pills and that it would be okay. Then today I was in the shower washing my body and I noticed pain down there. I looked down there and I noticed a small scab and I started panicking. I quickly got out and took a mirror and looked down there. It seems that I somehow tore part of my labia minora and clitoral hood. It hurts to touch. I am unsure if possibly in my sleep I did that, or if it was from sex? It is likely that the condom hurt me, because they always do, but I didn't notice any pain around there before.

Does anyone have any suggestions to my little situation? And I can't just go to the doctor. I have no health insurance and I'm a college student. I have talked with my boyfriend and he is very sensitive to my womanly issues. I just don't see how I could have so much tearing from having sex for 25 minutes, with lubrication!! We've been having sex for a long time now, but less because of where we live. If we had sex more in the week would my vaginal opening kind of "reinforce" itself (although that sounds silly). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Around 17% of women aged 18-50 experience problems with vaginal dryness during sex, even before the menopause takes place2. Many women may experience vaginal dryness during sex because they are not sexually aroused – this is often caused by insufficient foreplay or psychological reasons such as stress. Other reasons for vaginal dryness before the menopause can be linked to hygiene products such as feminine sprays and harsh soaps, swimming pool and hot tub chemicals and some washing powders. Certain drug treatments such as allergy and cold medications and some antidepressants, can also dry out mucous membranes, including vaginal tissues.

There are a number of simple ways in which to lubricate a dry vagina:

Water-soluble starch based lubricant such as KY Jelly – these are similar to natural lubrication and should be applied to the area around the lips (vulva) and vagina just before intercourse takes place
    Vaginal moisturisers – these are often creams used two to three times a week and last for up to two days, therefore they do not have to be applied directly before intercourse takes place
    Petroleum-based products such as Vaseline®

Remember, women spend a third of their lives in a post menopausal state and they need to make sure that they maintain the quality of life that they had before the menopause. Vaginal dryness does not need to be treated as an inevitable part of growing older – something can be done about it.

Things to look out for if you think you may be experiencing vaginal dryness:

Do you experience pain, irritation, burning or dryness during sex?
    Do you experience bleeding or spotting during or after sex?
    When you go for your smear, has it become more difficult or uncomfortable?
    Has the appearance of your vagina changed?

Management of vaginal atrophy

Some options that may help include:

Avoidance of soaps to wash with (perhaps replacing with aqueous cream, available from most pharmacies).
    Treatment of underlying skin problems with topical creams , often after guidance by a specialist and perhaps skin-biopsy.
    Treatment of altered vaginal flora with appropriate antibiotics (often after an examination). This is short-term and may be administered by mouth or sometimes directly into the vagina. This treatment may need to be repeated.
    Local oestrogen therapy. It is now well recognised that low doses of oestrogen therapy, delivered locally in the vagina, can be effective

Avoid having sex until it heals on its own.