Weight gain do to menapause help

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Weight gain do to menapause help

I am 30 years old and have always been thin , I had a hystorectomy 4 years ago after having 4 previous surgeries trying to correct the problems and the final result ended in a hystorectomy , Since then I have gained 40+ pounds and have tried everything as far as dieting and exercise but nothing seems to work!! I am now starting to get depressed because of it! I was on hormones at first but was very concerned over the side affects so I stopped them . I read all about these new medications to help with menopause weight gain but am nervous to try, can anyone help I just don't know what to do!!!! I need help loosing this weight , It is making me miserable from back hurting ,legs and knees to no clothes fitting and most weight gain in stomache and love handles , I am always tired and don't sleep , hot flashes , bed sweates you name it I NOW have got it! Please , Please , Please Help me!!  
                                           Sincerely,
                                    Menopause Women in need
                                            Eyes4u1221
i am 29 and had a hysterectomy on aug 3rd for the same reasons you have... i have never been the smallest person but im not obese. now that im feeling good, im trying to lose the weght i put on while i was feeling crappy....it's not easy. i walk every day watch what i eat... nothing.... just short of starving myself and it's not comming off. i still have 1 ovary so i dont have the hotflashes or anything, but it sucks. what are the drugs you say are supposed to help.. i cant take the hormones either for high risk of breast cancer...they think my last ovary is failing so i know things are only going to get worse weight wise... it sucks but i am so glad im not in any more pain.
Thank You for all your comments , If anyone finds any help please let me know. The medications I have heard about is estro thin , Estrin D, lipovarian, etc...... If you know anything about these please let me know !!

Eyes4u1221
I'm in my late 40's & am now Pre-Menopause - so I feel for you younger ones.  I've also gained weight in the past year. Used to be 7/9 & now 12/14 & growing.  I've tried everything I can get my hands on to loose; diets, pills, waking, biking - to no effect.  Do not buy from those late night TV ads (I have), until you check them out on the web.  If anyone out there knows of a sure thing to help us Menapausal women, please help!!  But no sales pitch please....just a real woman going through the same health problems!  Good luck all.
hi i am 49 yo perimnenopausal woman. i do not have a weight prob (5'4", 112 lbs). i excercise w/cardio & weights 2-3 x per week vigorously (have been since i was 24) and try to fit in other activities such as swimming, jogging & walking. i eat 5-6 small meals per day consisting of mostly veggies & fruits and rarely eat meat. i work full time at a stressful job and am a single mom to a wonderful teenage son.

let me add that i suffer from hot flashes, heavy periods every 23-25 days that last up to 12 days. i am also fatigued and have lots of trouble sleeping. seems like i am almost always suffering from pms, and often in a zombie like state - confused and befuddled. i take herbal supplements designed for pre-menopausal symptoms but it's not enough. i think i'm going to try an otc estrogen cream. my pcp wants me to take anti-dep but been there, done that and dont like side effects.

you seem awfully young to be experiencing menopause - might i suggest visiting womentowomen.com on the net. it has some VERY useful information regarding perimenopause and menopaus and not a standard "write a script" approach as most drs. they can suggest specific diagnostic testing to determine exactly what the problem is.

good luck.
"you seem awfully young to be experiencing menopause - might i suggest visiting womentowomen.com on the net. it has some VERY useful information regarding perimenopause and menopaus and not a standard "write a script" approach as most drs. they can suggest specific diagnostic testing to determine exactly what the problem is. "

she said she had a hysterectomy, so that means she was probably thrown into surgical menopause which is always worse than going into it naturally.
yes i saw that, but it does not mean she has to suffer bc of hysterectomy. i was only sharing my experience in hopes that there would be something gained from it. i visit this forum for exactly that reason - gaining from others experiences.
I am a 48 year old mother of one. My period ended 3 years ago. Since it has left me, I have been miserable. I thought having one was miserable...was I ever wrong! I have gained 40 pounds in 1 year! I cannot sleep. I look pregnant! The hot flashes and night sweats are horrible. I have anxiety attacks. I cry for no reason. I am not taking hormones, but I am considering them. I dont know that they will help, but right now my life is a living hell.Breast cancer is in my genes, so I opted not to take hormones. I think I will take my chances.  Please, if anyone has some help, please send it my way.

:( really sad
I have just had the worst year of my life, in reguards to the night sweats, the hot flashes, not to even mention the mood swings and the blotiness and the weight gain that has taken over my body.
I eat hardly anything, and I gain weight. This has not been fun for not only me but my husband who never knows how to ask a question correctly, or even to open his mouth without me yelling at him. I am just horrible to him, and then I cry for 2 hours.
I have tried several things over the counter. If it has been on Costcos shelves, its been in my mouth, but to no avail.
I would really like to stick to natural products if possible. If anyone knows of anything, please let me know.
i am 41, and had a hystorectomy the end of august of this year,they left 1 ovary, i had endometrosis and bleeding tumors i have always been heavy, and now the weight is literally falling off. i am feeling better so i can exercize, doing water aerobics and also drinking water instead of sodas, i have cut down on my eating , generally only 1/2 a plate to what i normally ate.
good luck and be positive.  it will work out!
Since my hystorecomy 12 yearsago, I have gained over 100 pounds!!!  I have followed numerous diets to the 'T'  with no positive results... I gain rather than loose!  I have had this weird thought that there must be something in my body that is preventing me from loosing weight!
Now....  I come across your postings... and am feeling affirmed!  But now what... t is good news and bad news... How can this be combatted!!!   I have been seeking info for a surgical approach for releif.
Anyone know of studies or helpful advice?
Wow, that is a big jump and you must be feeling uncomfortable. When I was in perimenopause I had trouble with weight gain. But I only gained 15 lbs. Still, I didn't like the feeling of a pot belly in my way.

I'm wondering if your thyroid is out of whack. Hypothyroidism may cause weight gain I think. A simple blood test would show that.
I am in the same boat. I have always been thin. Use to be i could eat whatever i wanted and never gained weght and always had a flat stomach. Now i have a tummy on me and whats worse for me is the extra fat around my waist line or muffin top. The only thing that i noticed that seems to help with the bloated out tummy issue is to drink metamucil twice a day and to take digestive enzymes after i eat. When i do those two things everyday i actually have noticed a flatter tummy. As soon as i get off the routine i get a bloated tummy again.