Wellbutrin and pregnancy

A community for people with Women's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

Wellbutrin and pregnancy

I've been using Wellbutrin to treat depression for the last year or so. I've just found out that I am 10 weeks pregnant. Does anyone know of whether it's first hand or second hand the possible effects this antidepressant can have on the baby?

My situation is complicated enough with other factors, let alone the possibility of a baby with health problems. I need to know all I can to make an informed decision so I won't regret it later. My dr'sopinion leans towards abortion, i'm so lost and confused, as this is something I would normally never consider. Any advice or opinions appreciated.
Avatar n tn
Get anpother Dr's opinion!  There is always adoption!
This is just my opinion but I would NEVER get an abortion.  There are lots of psychological after-effects that could really be hurtful to you, not to mention the risk of infertility and other physical harm from the abortion.  Like the previous poster said, there is always adoption and there are SO many people out there so eager to be parents and adopt your child.  I would get another opinion, too.  I hope you make the right choice for you.
Avatar n tn
While it is needless to say that there are psychological consequences to having an abortion, there are also several psychological consequences that could result from carrying a baby to term and then giving it up for adoption.  I know people who have done both and neither is a perfect solution.  I encourage you to talk to your mental health professional (if you have access to one), your friends and family, members of your religious community (if applicable).  While these different perspectives may help you sort out your thoughts, remember that the only person who can ultimately make the decision is you.  Tak care.
Avatar n tn
Zoloft is apparently the preferred medication for pregnancy.  At least that is what I was told by both my ob and pcp.

Do not listen to what other people tell you about getting an abortion.  It's a decision you need to make and decide if you can live with.  People are incredibly judgemental when that discussion comes up.  Try to take it all with a grain of salt.

If the only issue is the medication, then an abortion would not be necessary.  The primary concern with Wellbutrin during pregnancy is that during the third trimester, the baby could become dependent and have similar complications as a mothers who take prescription pain meds.

Sometimes we have to make decisions that are not popular but, in the long run, may be for the best.  Whatever you choose, good luck.

Heather
Avatar n tn
I'm not sure if it's just the wellbutrin issue that is making your doctor lean towards abortion or not.

But if it's just the depression meds that alarm you then you should look into other methods of controlling your depression that are pg-friendly.  Look through the archives and previous posts here - there was a post from someone (maybe 2,3,4 weeks ago) that said she switched to some other kind of medicine or maybe it was an herb, and she got through her pg.  Then after pg she was able to return to her normal depression med.  

Call around to other docs, and maybe midwife centers, ask friends, family, whoever.  Don't be pressured into an abortion...there are options for you.
I was taking Welbutrin last year when I was ttc. My obgyn knew I was taking it, and told me it was fine. I think it's best to take as little RX meds as possible when pg, but I don't think you should be concerned with the Welbutrin.
Avatar n tn
My ob prescribed me Wellbutrin for depression symptoms that my pregnancy seems to be amplifying. Although it is a category B drug that has not had thorough testing and cannot be labeled as completely safe, it SEEMS safe. I was really worried about taking it, but the emotional effects on my family were also severe. I couldn't stand being around my 4 year old, who is a quiet and well behaved little girl. Since I was nervous I asked questions and did research. Doctors avoid medications during the first trimester because of major organ development (to be on the safe side, but abortion based on a category B drug is extreme. If you want this baby get a second opinion and opt for prenatal testing for birth defects. These tests can be done before abortion is too late. I am not advocating abortion, but severe deformities is a special circumstance under which the parents should have that option. I did take Zyrtec for allergies with my first (the entire time) and I recently found out it is also a category B drug, she is healthy and very bright. Keep in mind pregnancy has many risks and it can be a time of many anxieties, but the odds are on your side. Sorry this is so long!
well that is just ridiculous. please don't even consider! i was taking clonozapam, wellbutrin and adderall (adderrall) when i found out i was pregnant at 6 weeks pregnant and i discontinued use. i just use breathing exercises to calm myself down if i feel a panic attack. i just focus on my baby. get a new doctor because clearly yours is an *******. i'm now 14 weeks pregnant and i've already heard the baby's heartbeat. my dr isn't worried a bit. i think i'm going to get back on the wellbutrin in my last trimester. please, i am pro-choice, but getting an abortion just because of this is outrageous. if you really want your baby then please trust that he/she will be the beautiful little angel you want. i even opted for NO genetic testing.
Belle313 uploaded new photos
12 mins ago
Dr. Peter Glidden ND
20 mins ago by gymdandee
KTowne, and Des_a_rae commented on Des_a_rae's status
Menstrual Tracker
Track your cycles
Reach your weight goals