Welts/Bruising around the vaginal area

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Welts/Bruising around the vaginal area

For as long as I can remember, I have had these welts/bruises that occur near my vaginal area, right where my thigh meets my hip bone. They first start out as bruises and then progress to welts and get tender because of my underwear line. They then break open and bleed. Sometimes the welt just appear without the bruising before. I have a lot of scarring from them and there are a lot of bumps in that area also that can get irritated and become welts. They can come at any point (but usually when I get my period). They are extremely painful and are really ugly to look at. I have had them come and go for at least 15 years (I'm 21 now). I don't think it's an STD because I obviously wasn't sexually active at 6. I shower everyday and make sure to wash the area well. I just don't know what it is and they are so painful. My boyfriend thinks I have some disease and I want to know what this is so I can get it treated. Any ideas?
What does your gynecologist say?  Surely if the problem is that bad and has been going on for so long, you've been to the doctor.  If your doctor doesn't know, see a dermatologist or another gyn, too.
A friend on mine has had a problem with ingrown hairs and has explained it just as you did.  Maybe thats the problem that you have. just an idea.
Do a search on hidradenitis suppurativa, to see if the symptoms resonate with you :-)
i too have this problem and my doctor told me it's partially due to a reaction to sanitary napkins (Always being the worst reaction i've ever had) and partially due to the chemicals used to whiten toilet paper. the tissue breaks down and parts are left behind, i have since stopped using Always and i only use Charmin toilet paper... but that's just me, you have to see what works for you and what doesn't...
It sounds like a reaction to maybe your underwear/clothes or like someone else said, pads?