What causes some one to bleed for a month straight?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Ok I'm posting for a good friend who doesn't have internate access. i'm really worried and she doesn't seem to be. She's a 34 year old women with 3 kids. She hasn't stopped bleeding for a month straight. She says this is the first time it has ever happened to her. She made a oppt. with her doctor and all they would do was a urine test because her doctor will not exzamine while bleeding. Her urine test came back as a urinary track infection and she was put on meds. I told her she NEEDS to find another doctor. But she is hard headed and really likes her doctor. (She's had the same doctor for 15 years). what could cause one to bleed non stop like that. She says it varies from day to day from heavy to spotting, but back and forth. Does any one have any ideas?
have they done an ultrasound to rule out fibroids? my poor mom is 56. she still has her period from time to time (i joke id like another sibling haha) and sometimes she will bleed for weeks. very painful though. i dont know anything about her infection being related to bleeding but i know some women here are very knowledgable. however its the weekend now and some dont show up. if you dont hear from any post again on monday! have a good weekend
I asked her if it hurts and she said not more than a normal period. Thanks for anserewing. I really do worry about her. i know you can't help some one who doesn't want to be helped. I just wish she would change doctors. thanks agian!
hormone imbalance can cause this good luck
Fibroids could definitely do it.  She needs aninternal sonogram.  ALso stress could do it too.  She should also be checked for endometriosis.
I have had that issue several times. I have even had it last much longer. I just came from the dr today (D&C follow-up). She said everything looks good and it has to be hormone imbalance. I have hypothyroid which is controlled by meds. She said even though it is "normal" you can still have symptoms and they may never by totally right.

If this is the first time, she definitely needs to see that someone looks into it for her. I actually switched drs. because my first one just brushed it off. This one wanted to rule out any serious issues. (which I was very relieved about) Best of luck to your friend.
my friend has been bleeding for 37days straight now and her heart is beating off rhythm! she has asked me for advice...she has also gone to her doc before and they say its normal....i don't believe that's normal! im really worried about my friend! my mom has suggested going to the hospital...could anyone help please! it truly is an emergency to me!

thank you very much :D
Wow! Seem like this is a common issue among us women. I will be going to my doctor soon for this problem too. I've been bleeding for 30 days straight too! Well keep y'all posted.
Yea me to glad im not the only one lol
Im going though the same thing im worry because i have never gad this to happen to me. I went to the doctor today but i have to go back for blood wrk. Im praying and knowing that god is in my favor.
This could be a sign of oncoming menopause, but I would think that  having been to a doctor for similar problem, it could also be her birth control if she is on any that is causing this as well. I can't understand why they wouldn't have scheduled a follow up regardless of the positive urinary tract infection as that has nothing to do with bleeding or as a cause of bleeding! I would definitely suggest she see an obgyn not just an every day general practitioner as this may be a very serious condition she is dealing with!
This could be endometriosis im 23 Ive bleed everyday extremly heavy a pad an hour sometimes more for up to 4 months and have had to have blood transfusions. most doctors wont see you if your bleeding ive tried there are few and rare but you better pull out your pocket book for that. Hope things get better.
I'm 40 and have been bleeding for 25 days straight. I go to tomorrow to have an ultrasound and get results of blood work. I have never had this issue before and I'm worried it might be something bad. I also have a history of abnormal paps, when I was 20 right after having my daughter... Really worried
I am only 30 years old, no kids and I have started bleeding on August 29, 2013 and still bleeding until this day. I am not sexually active either and i am worried because I don't have any insurance and it does not give me any pain whatsoever. Does anyone know what this could be?
Hi did you find out the cause??
Hi, did u go to the doc or find out the cause? Having this problem and getting extremely worried
I have been bleeding for the past 33 days. I went to a doctor and he took a sample of my uterus lining to do a biopsy. He said I should use estrogen to stop the bleeding because prolonged bleeding could cause problems in the future.
Will get the results later and I will post again
I am a very young girl not even in her teenage years and this also happens to me. I am very worried about this
Fibroid is the cause in most cases,,, may GOD intervene to this issue
Hi ladies,
i'm going through this issue also its been a on going thing for 3months don't know what to do doctors I've seen seem to just brush it off.... any suggestions?