Women's Health Community
When do vitamins/herbs start to take effect?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

When do vitamins/herbs start to take effect?

I was wondering when do vitamins start working? I was under the impression like any pill form you take, they have an effect as they are absorbed through digestion, but my Mom tells me that it takes several months for them to build up in your system and start working..So if I started taking a multivitamin a few weeks ago and have been taking them everyday, am I benifiting from them yet?
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Well, it all depends on what you're taking and why, as to how long you need to take something for it to "work". My father was in the vitamin business for 30 years so I come by the info honestly :)

The general rule of thumb is that you need to take herbs or vitamins for 2 weeks before you build up adequate levels in your system. Multivitamins fall under this category, but if you are taking a prenatal supplement, it is recommended that you take them a minimum of 3 months prior to ttc, because it takes that long for the folic acid to provide the maximum benefit to the fetus.
Blank
Yes, I am taking a Prenatal vit because I am ttc, I started taking them a few months ago when i started ttc, but since i didn't get preg right away i stopped, but I am serious about wanting to concieve (conceive), so i started up again..thats why i ask..Thanks!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Women's Health Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank