Yaz and side effects and benefits

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Viewing 601-672 comments:
I am currently on Yaz and I have never been happier in my life. I was on seasonique for 9 months and I was a wreck. I was crying every night and I had 6 week periods it was horrible I had no sex drive and I could have sworn that that birthcontrol gave me BV. I switched to yaz and evererything is so much better, I feel happier, mood swings are very rare my periods are only three days long, my skin hasnt cleared up very much but thats because i have a family history on both sides of severe acne. On yaz I have experienced a lower libido at times but sometimes a little more foreplay is required, try watching porn or getting your partner to give you an erotic massage from head to toe. There are always ways around it. And another suggestion, try using KY INTENSE FOR HER lube, even when your not turned on that lube will kick your libido in the ***! Good luck girl!
I have been on Yaz for 3 years now.  I have never been happier with it.  I had peiords that would last for 2 weeks at a time, with heavy bleeding and cramping.  Since I stated taking Yaz my peiords have lasted 3 days a most and have had almost no cramping.  Also, the bleeding has been normal or even sometimes light.  Yaz has not made me go crazy, or be overly emotional.  The only thing I have noticed since I started was the decreased sex drive.  Othewise I love being on Yaz!
I have been on yaz for two months now. I
I moved out of the country at the start of the yeara and couldnt find yaz at any of the local pharmacies.
Instead I bought yasmin, knowing its the same chemicals at higher doses.
I took yasmin for three years in highschool before switching to the nuva ring ( which i loved except for how fat it made me)
So i figured yasmin would be fine and get the job done. Boy was I wrong! The same day I started i noticed my emotions going haywire, depression, anxiety...all issues I had in high school.
also night sweats, crying, no sex drive, .
Anyway, now I'm back on yaz (after finding some in a sketchy chinese market)
And feel much more balanced. For me yaz is also somewhat of an appetite suppresant
And has no effect on my libido.
Everyone is different, yaz works well for me, even though I prefer not to be on anything.
I'll take a little lunacy over a pregnancy anyday!!
hi,
so i have recently gotten a perscription from my dr. for the YAZ pill, i wasnt sure about takin it so i searched online.

originally i had an implanon in my arm for about 2 and a half yrs.. i was perfectly fine to begin with and then became quite depressed. i kept finding reasons for this depression and because i was goin thru a really tough time i found easliy many things i could blame it on. i then started taking recreational drugs to feel happy, and to blok out my emotions. then i met my partner, who ive been with for 6mnths. since then i have changed completely and stopped taking recreational drugs. afta the 2 & 1/2 years of being on the implanon i got my period for 3 mnths straight, and assumed that the implanon had run out early(as its spose to last 3years) and prior to that 3 months i was only gettin spottin every 3 months for a couple of days(while the implanon was workin). i then asked my dr. to change the implanon in my arm because the period was becomin a huge interuption in my new relationship. i had the NEW implanon in for 2months and had all the same symptons every1 has described from YAZ, emotionally unstable,crying every 2nd day, angry, hated myself, didnt want to get out of bed in the morning, jus overall deppression, i also had chest pains. i new there was no reason to be so depressed because ive been the happiest i have been in a long time nd yet there was something inside of me telling me not to be happy. i then got it taken out 3 weeks ago and have been feeling amazing for the first time in a looong time, i can smile, joke and have a positive outlook on life, no more chest pains no more depression. now looking back on the times in the past where i became depressed nd taken drugs i realise that was only because of the implanon. i have no intentions on going back to the same way i was in the past. unfortunately i dont have any contraception atm, and am not enjoyin my sex life without it. thats why i have been perscibed YAZ and since reading all ur post i am so thankful bcos i definately think that YAZ isnt for me.

JUST WONDERING IF ANYONE HAS ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR A DIFFERENT FORM OF CONTRACEPTIVE? or a different pill?

jus wish all female had an on of button for makin babies!

thanks ya'll for ur wonderful input!
I just want to point out to you guys that Yaz can be great, it helped me through horrible periods. But it is also causing too many problems for me. I have chest pains, sometimes so bad i think im going to have a heart attack, and many other problems. I have used it for years and am only now experiencing the worst of the side effects, but I have had other problems throughout, so I recommend everyone stop using it, because eventually it will catch up to you.
Hello. Yaz is a good pill to cure hormonal imbalance... But  don't take it longer... the longer to take it the more side effects u will have... i've been using it for 6 months now and i stopped.... i experienced painful breast... and when i had my blood test... my triglycerides rise up to a high level...just for a span of 6 months its goes too high... last year my trigly is 131.7and after 6 months it became 339.6  so alarming... yaz is one factor that can cause bad health...  natural contraceptive is much better than taking any pill... it can also damage ur liver... just an advice....  
I took Yaz about two months ago. I was misserable and my emotions were all over the place. I felt like I was on an emotional rollercoaster. I would cry at the smallest of things, my depression(which I already had) got worse, and I just wasn't happy. I stopped taking it after a week and a half because I couldn't take it anymore. I started getting worried over the smallest things too. Once I stopped taking it, I felt a bit better, but still not myself. I was happy and enjoying life before I took the stupid pill. And now I am more depressed and it is affecting my emotions and feelings. I am in a relationship(5 months so far) and it is making it hard for me to be happy when I am around my significant other. I know I love him, but my emotions/feelings flatline most of the time. I worry that I don't love him because I can't feel that happiness(love) a lot of the time. I wake up with my head and heart racing, I can't sleep well. Sometimes I will wake up and just start crying. I almost dred going to bed. But at the same time I have been so tired lately that I want to sleep all of the time. I don't know what to do. I don't want to take any anti-depression medication. I am going to go see a psychiatrist and see if talking things out will help at all. But I really just want to go back to the way I was bafore I started taking Yaz. I was happy and now I am very much the opposite.
wats the point in being on the pill, if it takes your libido away??
I have just started on yaz,into my second month  and my boobs have been sore the whole month, still are and I just finished a peroid, they should not be sore!!!! When does this stop????
I have been on Yaz for a year. During this time I have been an emotional mess. I cried constantly and could not deal with my sadness. I have never been like this. In fact it got so bad that unfortunately I believe it has led to a serious breakdown of my marriage. The scary thing is I only realised what was happening when I decided to go off the pill for good. After a couple of weeks once I stopped taking Yaz, I woke up one day feeling like a completely different person. I can't believe I had to go through this. From now on, I refuse to take any drugs without doing some proper research on the side effects. My dermatologist recommended Yaz and I am very disappointed that she did not give me any advice on the side effects. I recommend that no one goes on this pill due to my experience and other peoples experience of other serious problems.
I've been taking Yaz for three months now and was starting to think I had gone insane! I'm 28 and I got together with my current bf last year. Last december I started taking Yaz and since then my life has turned upside down! I lost my sex drive completely (and it was very health before!), i have been way more tired, i cry or get extremely upset over everything, I have lost all motivation to the point where I have given up on my goals and even dropped out of Uni. To anyone that has known me they do not recognise the person i have become. My boyfriend said to me yesterday that I am not the person he fell in love with. He has threatened to break up with me twice over my emotional state and i have NEVER EVER been like this in my life!! I was on the internet trying to find alternate contraceptive methods and Yaz is the third pill which I have tried but reacted strongly to. I'm so glad to see that I am not imagining things and that what I am experiencing has been experienced by others! I stopped taking Yaz two days ago and I will definately never go back to it!!
The breast soreness never went away for me. I find it impossible to even wear a bra because it just feels miserable. I have been on yaz since I was 15 due to hormones. I am now 20 and I just stopped taking it. After reading this forum I realized how so many problems I experience must be due to the Yaz. I recently heard birth control can cause bone health problems, does anyone know if Yaz can do that? At age 17 I was told I had osteopenia. I have broken over 7 bones in the past year and have had a broken foot for the past two years. I had never broken a bone before that. When blood tested my calcium levels were normal so it would make sense if Yaz can cause problems with bones. I have been off the pill for about a month now and I am starting to feel better. Most side effects are going away. When I started Yaz I weighed 120 and now I weigh 150. I always just thought it was because of my hips (my stomach is flat, so I am not overweight) I just gained a lot over the years, thankfully it's not too noticeable. Ever since I got off Yaz I have lost 5 pounds so I have a feeling I will be getting back down to my normal weight. I think everyone should get off Yaz. It does not seem safe at all, and being off of it I feel much healthier!
I am glad I have read these.  I have been experiencing deep depressions.  I have been constantly tired, and some nights can't sleep.  I took Yaz for a few months last year where I did have spotting, but in general felt that it balanced out my general moods, I was happy, in a new relationship and all was great.  After a few months break from Yaz I went back on this year.  This time I cry ALL the time and this is while I am trying to establish a relationship - it has made that very hard going.  I do have clear skin, but also breast tenderness.  My respiratoty system seems worse (I react like allergies which I haven't done since I was a kid), and have almost been asthmatic.  I feel like my heart races and I have always had a good heart rate/ blood pressure.  I lose focus and interest in what I am supposed to be doing and am at teh point where I am beginning to think I am a basket case.  the emotional part is the worst, but am also tired of being tires, and then not being able to slepp when you are tired.  Also experience menstraul migraine whilst on this pill.  On a plus side I used to have very heavy periods and Yaz has lightened and shortened my cycle, and no weight gain.  But as I feel crazy I am going to go off it after reading this forum.  Thankyou.
I am soooo happy I googled the side effects to Yaz. I really thought I was going crazy & have been seeing a therapist due to my depression. I always speculated that my depression was due to the Yaz but never really looked into. This is my first time back on my Yaz in about a month. During the month I didn't take it, I had no depression. I'm only on day 5 of my pack and have had countless highs/ lows and anxiety. I should have know better...putting hormones into a already naturally hormonal body would cause something...I'm calling my MD asap and getting off this dam poison! I also had the mirena in the past and my body straight up rejected it from day one...and I had to get it taken out within a year of having it....I hope this post helps someone ....depression is no fun at all...only people who exp. it knows how dark and lonely of a place it is....
Well, as all of you I too have read every single one of these posts but I am not sure if my side effects are due to using the pill or if I am pregnant. I have researched side effects and yaz information as well as first signs of pregnancy  and nothing seems to be hitting home for me. I am in college and on a team, and our workouts consist of speed running, and as of my second week on the pill I have noticed I have severe chest pain and trouble breathing (something rare to me when working out). I also have had constant urination, I pee numerous times throughout the day even when I haven't consumed much liquid. Today I noticed that food was not sitting well with me at all, and had to immediately use the bathroom after eating. Last week I was running a mild fever and didn't know how it began, as well as a random sore throat? I am also extremely tired all of the time, even with a solid 7 to 8 hours of sleep.

If anyone could give me some insight on my symptoms, I would very much appreciate it before I go buy a pregnancy test.
I am 19. When I was 16 I was taking Levlen to regulate my periods because I had a period for 6 months straight. After everything was normal again, I started getting really angry ALL the time. Very depressive and would just cry all the time over everything. Sometime I wouldn't even know why. I went to my doctor and she told me to change the pill I was taking. So she put me on YAZ and I've been on YAZ since then. I never had any problems at all with it. I lost 15kg.. which was GREAT. It happened over a year. Nothing drastic.
I was 70kg so I am still healthy.
I just think everyone should try it out for longer than 3 months. It obviously works differently on different people.
People shouldn't be scared to try it because of what a few people on a forum have said has happened to them. It works differently for different bodies.
Obviously people who are using it and it's going well for aren't going to be looking at these sites which is why you aren't seeing many good stories about it.
All I can say is it has done really good things for me and my mental health AND my relationship because if I didn't realise then what it was doing then I don't know if I would still be in the same relationship I was then.
I'm very thankful to YAZ.
I am a 37 year old femal that was put on yaz for acne for 3 months and it gave me nothing but problems from the start. I had a heavy flow for 130 days. I have a number of side effect from this they are chest pain, tiredness but can not sleep at all, anxiety , nervous, anxious, hard to breath,tingling in my arms and legs. And I have read that most of you ladies have all of the same side effects and I would like to know what any of yous have done to feel better. I am desprate for answers I have been to a few doctors and none have any answers. Please help if you can.
Thank you !
ive been on yaz for about 3 weeks and my breasts were very sore, bad cramping, no holding up.. the cramps are soo bad i dont want to do anything.. the first week i was taking them i had constant headaches everyday all day. my period was soo much worse than before.. im going to the doctor tomorrow to change bcs!!!!
I took YAZ for about 2 years, and initially it was great.  The last few months however made me feel awful; back aches, nausea, moodiness, had to pee all the time... and then my hormones tried to over-ride the pill so I stopped taking it.  It made me gain weight, and totally ruined my libido.  I have been off if it for almost a year now and it seems as though my system is still trying to right itself.  Anyone else experience such prolonged issues? Now I'm wondering if I'm pregnant; my last period was only 2 days, or is this is just another YAZ thing to deal with??
from a husbands point of view the yaz birthcontrol pill has been the most devastating thing in my relationship. my wife insists on taking it because she has had issues with acne. but i see all the side effects loud and clear and its killing me and US!. she is not willing to stop taking it, she credits the zero i mean ZERO sex drive to other things, she is pissed that i looked into this pill for reasons why she is this way. its frustrating for me that she doesnt seem to care, we are only 30yrs old, have 2 awesome children, and listen to this, im fixxed. i am too young to be stuck in a sexless dry bitchy marriage, so thank you yaz for ruining my relationship. i would love to get my hands on the ***** responible for this chemical, i think i would end up in prison..
It is a huge relief to read many of the comments here and find out that I am not alone. There are some great answers here that my OB/GYN wasn't able to provide. I have been taking Yaz for about two years and completely forgot this, but when I first started, it reactivated my asthma, which hadn't been a problem since I was in elementary school and even then, it was only exercise-induced. It got so bad this time that I went on Symbicort, which I had to take every day. The asthma/allergy doctor I was working with said that hormonal changes can trigger asthma (e.g. going on birth control or through puberty).

The asthma eventually went away, but I started to have pain during sex. My OB/GYN said maybe it was from dryness, but never linked it to Yaz. It hurt every time I had sex, upon penetration and even with liberal use of lubricant. Several months back, I noticed a sensitivity to lubricants. I had been using Pjur, which was fine, but then tried one of the warming sensation ones and it burned so badly. After that, I bought KY for sensitive skin and it still burned! I was starting to think it was all in my head and I was going crazy. So happy to find this site and read about the fact that propyl glycol can be irritating to some women. It's just weird because I used to use KY all the time with no problem. Oh yes, and I had ZERO sex drive.

On top of that, I have been ridiculously tired, to the point where I thought I had a serious illness. A lot of difficulty getting out of bed for work in the morning and leaving the apartment. When I went to see my doctor, she tested me for various things, but said that nothing was wrong with me. I also have been feeling so out of sorts and depressed, really depressed and mental, almost paranoid. I was just having thoughts that I couldn't stop and could tell I was in a downward spiral. All I wanted to do was sit on the couch and watch TV or play computer games. It was almost impossible to go to the gym. I finished out my pack a couple of days ago and won't be using Yaz anymore.

It hasn't been all bad though, obviously, or else I wouldn't have stayed on it for so long. My skin has been amazing on the pill, an occasional bump here or there, but in general, glowing complexion. I also used to have periods that lasted almost 10 days, and recently it had been about 3 days, which is just incredible! Over the past two years, the duration has definitely gotten shorter and shorter. So, that's my two cents, I wanted to contribute back to this forum since it was so enlightening for me and I found it so helpful. I will do my best to report back once I've been off the pill for a while.
Here is another husbands point of view. After our second child was born my wife's OB put here on Yaz. 2 weeks after taking her first pill I got a call from the school where she teaches that I need to get there fast. When I got to her classroom she was out in the hall with other teachers around her, she was trying to read a report a student had written. I could not understand anything coming out of her mouth. We went immediately to the neurosurgeons office to  have some test because his son was in her class at the time that this happened. after a few test they sent us for an MRI. to make a long story short they sent us to a specialist because my wife had 2 major strokes and several minor stroke due to a blood clot in her brain. They discovered this after an artery-gram the doctor told us the her mortality rate because of where the clot is was 90% and that the 10% that lived are usually brain dead. It has been 3 years since this happened and they said it was because of Yaz, there was another young lady in our town that had been taking it for a couple of months that past away because of a blood clot in her lungs. My wife will be on blood thinner the rest of her life and the clot could not be removed or a stint put in because of the location. We are very blessed and had a lot of people praying for us, but I am begging anybody that reads this and is thinking about yaz or what ever the new name is please do not use this product.
after reading all of these comments I have noticed that all of the women who complain about having problems with this pill, are exactly the kinds of people who should not be taking this pill in the first place. If they had followed thier doctors directions, they would not be having these problems
rofl666, the fact that you have 666 in your nickname comes as no surprise that you would post such an ignorant comment. Most of the women on this thread were doing exactly that, including my wife. She was following what the doctor told her to do, and it almost killed her. So before you decide to share your knowledge with us again please give it a second thought and don't.
Anyone experience vaginal bleeding after sex?  I started Yaz almost 3 months ago and now every time my husband and I have sex I bleed afterward.  It is not bright red, more like light brown spotting but still alarming to see.  I haven't called my dr yet, as I figured it was due to changing pills.  Just thought I'd see if anyone else has experienced this with Yaz before I call my dr.  I've never had an abnormal PAP smear and am healthy.
I began taking Yasmin which worked on my periods but left me with too many symptoms of PMDD. I was switched to Yaz. The PMDD symptoms disappeared. So did my sex drive but I wasn't in a relationship so I didn't particularly care. However, I got very sick. My galbladder was removed although I failed all tests for Gallbladder Disease. the Nuclear blood test proved that the gallbladder was causing all the pain even though I didn't have the disease. I had also developed what would eventually be diagnosed as a Daily Migraine. It wasn't just daily, it was constant. My Neuorologist removed me from the Yaz. It still took a year for the migraines to stop. I still have recurrent migraines though they are not constant.
I have only been taking Yasmin for a week, and have already suffered with side effects of it.
I have experienced nausea, diarrhoea, moodiness, depression, insomnia, increased appetite, weight gain and more spots than usual!!!!!
I am 36. I was previously taking Dianette for a number of years which was really great and caused me no problems at all and I would reccommend to anyone, but was advised to change to Yasmin as the health risks of  dianette increase with age.
I am only taking the pill as I suffer with extremely painful periods, and I have spotty skin.
Dianette worked great for both and I'm really sad I had to stop taking it, but was advised Yasmin would be equally effective!
After reading all these very worrying posts, I am going to stop taking it immediately and get back to normal in myself, feeling happy, healthy appetite (not eating too much) & able to sleep properly!!!!
Just one thing, has anyone got any advice for spotty skin at my age??? (face & back).
I'm 23 years old I weighed 105lbs when I started taking YAZ.  I've been on the pill for a 1 1/2 years. I've never been so moody, stressed or pushed to my breaking point til I started taking YAZ. I would just break down and cry because my husband would look at me weird, I would hate everyone at work just because they didnt do something the way I wanted them to. I almost quit my job because of it. I felt tired ALL the time no energy til the 3rd day of my white pills when I started my period then I had to be a perfectionist, everything had to be just right or i'd get pissed off. My sex drive was also gone! My legs and hands would swell really bad to the point I had to take a cold shower to make them stop burning. I felt bloated all the time and none of my pants fit the way the did a year ago. Also I've had severe stomach and left arm pains, and my vision is blurry which is a side effect  :(  I've stopped taking Yaz 2 weeks ago and I've felt so much better!! I havent been moody at all!! I also got my sex drive back!  
I'm 20 years old & just started taking Yaz one week ago, since then Ive been having horrible stomach cramps after every meal. Ive also had a ravenous appetite! Could this GI problem really be from taking Yaz? Nothing else has changed in my life other than starting this pill, Im an otherwise healthy, active young woman! Help!!
Please help us!   My 18 year old daughter switched to YAZ about 9  months ago to better clear up acne.    About 3 months ago, she started experiencing constant stomach pains that get worse after every meal.   Could this be YAZ??
I stoped reading- no one seeems happy with Yaz> I just started Yaz 2 weeks ago! since I got my periode a week ago- I still have a little of `clean` blood coming out- I dont know what is going on- its very little but iam still worried! I eat a lot more lately and Iam scared of gaining weight!!! What should I do??? Its all so new!
I have been on Yaz for over a year now but on and off. I went on it again in April and after a few weeks I went off it because I found I was having bad anxiety, depression and trouble sleeping through the night. For 3 weeks the symptoms didn't go away so I went back on it in the beginning of May and I still have the symptoms. Did I not wait long enough? How long does it take until the pill is out of your system?
I was given several samples of yaz from a nurse at the medical clinic I visit. I have had issues with oral contraceptives in the past, I've taken about 4 different kinds including Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo. The most severe side effects I've had in the past was my cycle contining for long periods of time and extreme mood swings. A little over a month ago I began taking Yaz. I had side effects that are consistent with the labeling here and there but didn't make the connection/relation. Within my last week I began experiencing extreme nausea, headaches and frequent breast tenderness and soreness. The uncomfort was so extreme that I decided to stop taking it all together. I wasn't alarmed when my cycle didn't starting during the 4 days allotted but I stopped taking it after I finished the first full pack and here I am two weeks later and I still haven't started my cycle. I've made an appointment with my Dr. but wont be able to meet with her until about another 2 weeks. Is there any advice that can be given? How long will I continue feeling like this? Is it normal that my cycle hasn't resumed yet? And is it normal that the side effects are still as severe as when they began although I stopped taking Yaz close to 2 weeks ago?

Thanks, Bridge
I started yaz at the beginning of the summer and im on my 4 month package now and I still havent gotten my period.  I am waiting and waiting and I even went off it for a week and still... nothing so i figured in order to regulate me again i would keep going with how I was before and still i have not seen any signs of a period, i have had slight cramping during the weeks where I was supposed to get my period but nothing unbareable... i have taken 3 prego tests and they were all negative, i havent gained a pound... i have actually lots alot of weight being on yaz, the only thing that freaks me out about it is the fact i have yet to see my period and im goin on 5 months now heeeeelp, is this normal about the lack of period??
Yaz made me very angry.  So angry that I had become a very different person.  My husband is such a loving and patient person and he couldn't have made me angry.   It had to do something with Yaz because that was the only medication I took.  I stopped Yaz, and I don't recall being so angry since then.
I was 35 last spring when I was diagnosed with a large fibroid in my uteris and was experiencing severe periods...messy and painful.  I was prescribed Yaz to decrease my period severity and started taking them expecting it to help.  Six weeks later my foot swelled up and it felt like I had a permanent charlie horse in my calf.  I was diagnosed with a blood clot in my knee and the day after I was diagnosed with pulmonary emboli too.  Scary stuff!  Stopped taking Yaz as soon as I started experiencing the pain knowing that there was a chance of this side effect.  Oh and it didn't help with the severity of my period either.  Waste of money and made me severely ill too.  Careful ladies and pay attention to all the literature accompanying your prescription.
I took Yaz for almost three years. I'm having HORRENDOUS anxiety and low blood pressure challenges. (Anxiety can cause your body to dump salt and as a result blood pressure can be low.) When I started seeing a naturopath, they put me on supplemental magnesium. That has really helped with the panic and the anxiety. For more info, check out The Magnesium Miracle on amazon. I'm still dealing with the low blood pressure and feeling of faintness. I am praying that this will subside with time. I can't work out at all without feeling faint. It's really scary. I'm not sure if this is strictly attributable to my having taken BC. I had no idea the correlation of side effects from the pill and my experience. For 2 years it was fine, but then one day something snapped. Off the pill, I feel better for sure, however these lingering issues are freaking me out. If anyone has any experience having gotten off of the pill, I would really appreciate hearing about it.

Also, I must add that when I went to my OBGYN she kind of bullied me into staying on the pill espousing all the fabulous things it does for you. My gut was not having it. I went to a naturopath to discuss it. They really don't like the pill because of the fake hormones. They are of the opinion that the estrogen dominance in our environment and foods causes lots of problems for people.

Anyway, I am really really happy to be off the pill. I didnt realize what a GAG reflex I was having everytime I took the stuff. Also, look up premarin mares. I just learned about this. NOthing good can come from that kind of abuse. Good luck ladies and thank you so much for sharing your stories. It has really really helped me to feel better that the weight gain and the anxiety / depression are real side effects.
I so apprciate these forums. We are not alone it gives me insight now I wish I read sooner. I got off Yez in July and have not had a period yet and its Oct. I have taken test but all results show neg.  Now I have pregnancy systoms but still neg test and to top it off while I was on the pill I was having anxiety and depression and I left my job I was at for ten years I thought it was them now Im rethinking the situation. WOW
Hello.
I am 29 yrs old japanese from vancouver island,BC Canada.
I`ve been here in canada for 2 years to work and have a experience.

I`ve had a pulmonary embolism just a month ago.
doctor told me the cause was the birth control pills which is Yaz.

My family doctor recomended this to me.
He gave me a free sample for 3month.so i kept using and buying the yaz.

I was a smoker but on and off.

this summer,I had busy working and a lots of stress made me start to smoke again,everyday for a few month.

Early sep 2011,i felt something on my right side.
and it became so painfull.so i went to emargency.

I had a treatment for a week.
and i am on blood thinner now for 6 month.
I thought my body is easy to get clot till i heard my friend saying"yasmin or yaz causes side effects which is blood clot.

I was mad at my family doctor.
but I should`ve checked about yaz on mywon.

I am sooo depressed.
i could not work for 6 weeks.
i just went back to work last week party time.

it is my fault that i didn`t have enough saving,
but being a broke is not fun.
I am 29 yrs old,I wanna be able to hang out with my friends and eat out,and go shopping and go have a coffee.

I still can,but i feel so embarassed not being able to pick whatever i want,don`t wana hesitate to pick food without checking the prices.....feel like not being myself,hate to have a feeling that im not being a independent woman.
That makes me feel unconfident in myself.

Before i got sick,i had a confident and i thoguht i was a very independent wise woman.

but right now,i am very very very depressed.

I`ve never felt like this down,very low before

I am a very possitive person.

I`ve tried to be positive,but so much things going on in my head.

like.....
"how am i gona pay all this bills? I don`t think i have enough money to pay all this bills and i only have $200 to last me for a month. am i gona be able to live here in canada?all my familes are in japan,i do not have any relatives here.maybe i have to go back home.but i don`t want to.but i m not gona be able to afford myself...i can`t live"

everytime i think about this sickness,and everytime i get a little pain in my chest,i get really scared

like....
"am i gona get another clot? do i have to be in a hospital again and not being able to work to make money?even i got all this bills?"
and i think the same this over and over and i cry every night when im alone.

I worry so much that i do not wanna get another clot and die everyday.

but thinking about all this negative thoughts makes me wana cry all night and die.

I am really depressed which I`ve never been .

I am wirting this because i have no one to talk to about this,even i do,i feel like,
"they don`t know what i`ve been through. :( "

so i decide to post a comment and read all the comments who had sort of same experience to make me feel better.

I don`t know if i sould sue them.

I just want them and everybody to know that there is a girl who is suffering.

if there`s any meetings to meet people suffer from this please let me know.

I really don`t know how to recover from this feeling.
useally i am good at being recover and be ing positive and smily:)

I really needed to talk to someone about this because i can not handle it and didn`t know who to talk to.

Thanks for reading :)
Hey I'm experiencing the same thing. and have done all the same thing as you I have been on this pill for about 4months and still no period!!!! have you seen any sign of yours yet?
I've been on all of the versions of this pill: yasmin, yaz, ocella, beyaz for about 7 years now, and I didn't have any problems until I started college and had a little bout of anxiety, but that ended quickly. I have been off of the pill now for about a month and I honestly thought I was already pregnant. I haven't had a period, my boobs hurt, I've had nausea and dizziness, and I'm EXTREMELY bloated! Please don't take Yaz...even though I was on it for years with having nothing but good to say about it, the side effects and long term health problems it can cause(I have liver damage, that I attribute to Yaz) are NOT WORTH IT!!!
Hi thanks for the comment on the Yaz story.
I am feeling better today,but still not stable.
How are you feeling?
I have so many questions about this sickness....
cuz none of my friends have been through being sick or depresstion....
I needed someone to talk to like you!
cuz we can share the feelings and infomation about this sickness.

Have you been being caful what to eat stlictly?
Do you feel a little pain sometimes?
I do.and i am going to the blood test tomorrow for the first in a month.
Im kinda worried about my INR....
cuz i`ve been eating not really good :(

Hope to keep in touch!

HIROKO
Thanks for all share about use it Yaz..
when i read all story about the effect use it Yaz make me so scare and feel so sad..
yesterday i was go to doctor for consult about my cyst ovarium and he sugest to use it this pill..
and now I got confuse should i take it or no???

Please,if have experience about ovarium cyst share with me...
what medicine i should take or its true this Yaz can help it my problem??
Hello there
I did not know that this was such a terrible pill. I am now half way through my second pack, and I must say that I have had the worst two months of my life. Ive been in 2 car accidents, broken both my big toes, continuously knock over glasses of water/ cups of coffee, fall up stairs and misjudge people outstretched hands colliding quite imbarrasingly with them. My depth perception has become so bad so suddenly, and the only thing that I can think is the newest change in my body, is the Yaz.
Aside from that my libido has hit rock bottom, unhappy boyfirend=lack of foot and back massages ;)
I have chronic migraines but due to physiotherapy and medication, theyve subsided dramaticly over the last 6 months.However, about 2 weeks ago I started getting migraine like symptoms again, but this time it was longterm suffering, like as in days of moderate pain/nausea, not the usual several hours of intense agony where your actually afraid that you wont die.
In addition, I got fat and grumpy. Everyone has commented on the certain lack of bubbliness and fun...
Is there such a thing as a contraceptive thatll not almost kill a girl?
Beata
Just started Yaz, prescribed for my severe PMS and PMDD.  Wondering for those taking Yaz and have PMS or PMDD did it agree with you?  Have been on it for 5 days and am starting to feel the same irrational irritability and sensitivity I do during the worst part of my cycle:(
I just started beyaz last week and I feel reallly good. I was on loestrin which was causing me to be an emotional wreck. So far I love beyaz.
Hi there I came across this blog and thought id add a comment. I too have tried Yasmin then switched to Yaz for 2 years and became a complete mess suffering anxiety attacks, mood swings, weight fluctuation, Lethargy, depression, heart palpitations and chest pains and put it down to the relationship I was in at time but didn't realise until I went off it to give my body a break that it was in fact the pill. Almost immediately after a week I was feeling better and gradually got back to my old self, then a month ago decided for obvious reasons to go back on it and try again.
For the whole month I have been experiencing immediate side effects such as bloating, sharp stomach pains and cramping, light discharge, chest pains, depression, anxiety, irritable and mood swings, nausea and wanting to vomit, on and off my food, weakness, dizziness and tired all the time, loss of sex drive, disinterest in general life and things, increased urination, headaches, constant panic and shortness of breath. I have stopped now and waiting for a period but will never be going back on it.
The sooner this stuff is out of my system the better. I have turned into a lost soul within a few weeks. I would warn anyone looking to try just to be aware and look for the signs to see if you may be one of the unlucky ones this pill does not agree with. I just want my old self back again.
I started Yaz just over two weeks ago- and stopped yesterday.  I have taken a few different oral contraceptives in the past, all of which at some point stopped working, but none of which was totally horrible side-effect-wise to begin with.  I was a bit reluctant, but also desperate to do something about my period.   I only went on it to try to improve my heavy and miserable period in the first place- not for pregnancy prevention.  (I didn't expect it to improve my period the first month, and it definitely did not- I had labour contractions and a super heavy flow, as usual.)  On Yaz, I became instantly really depressed, with suicidal thoughts, beyond zero sex drive (what is the point of a contraceptive that works by making you never want to have sex again?), constant nausea, headaches, back pain, dizziness, a couple of killer migraines, I can't stop crying, my digestion's terrible, my breasts are so sore (it hurts to hug my husband, to put a shirt on... and I am not well-endowed), sweating way more than usual, and my period has lasted 17 days and counting.  I almost fainted several times in the first ten days or so- to the point where I was lying on the kitchen floor, unable to move, struggling to breathe normally. My husband kept reminding me that life wasn't so terrible, and that it had to be Yaz.  He also convinced me to stop taking it and see my doctor- he is a saint for being so sane and supportive, because I have not been easy to be around.  Hoping that my body gets back to normal quickly- this is my second day not on it and my period has only gotten heavier, with more cramping.  This pill *****, and it has convinced me never to try an oral contraceptive again.
Hi! My name is steph. I am on the yaz pill. And its going on 4 months and i have severe cramping, nausea, lower back pain, hot flashes, bloatiness, and gassiness. I never had these problems until i started taking the birth control pill yaz. I would not recomend this pill at all to anyone. Anybody else have these problems being on this pill????
Hi! My name is steph. I am on the yaz pill. And its going on 4 months and i have severe cramping, nausea, lower back pain, hot flashes, bloatiness, and gassiness. The doctors tell me its constipation. I know its not constipation because i know what that feels like. I never had these problems until i started taking the birth control pill yaz. I would not recomend this pill at all to anyone. Anybody else have these problems being on this pill????
dose YAZ helps in reduceing pimples?
I have polycystic ovaries  can I get children after taking yaz ?
I have been taking Yaz for the past week n I have had a light period for 5 days I was just wondering if this right or should I see a doctor
Two years ago I decided to go on the pill. My Doctor chose to put me on Yaz and once I got home I went and looked on forums such as this and absolutely freaked out about the comments people posted about the side effects of Yaz. I decided to take my doctors advice however and used Yaz.

Initially, I experienced many side effects; breast tenderness, mood swings etc. However, one must realise, that this will DEFINATELY happen, regardless of which pill you take, just to varying degrees. One cannot expect to use a medication that manipulates your hormones and NOT experience changes in your body, this is what the pill is designed to do, and if you are not prepared to stick out this period while your body ADJUSTS to the effects of having your hormones managed, then the pill is not the right contraceptive for you.

Mood swings were the most obvious side effect for me, however when I was getting pissed off for the most trivial reasons, I was able to recognise they were trivial and then think rationally. If the mood swings did continue for longer than they did, I may have considered changing pills as yaz may have not been right for me, but we must also take into consideration ALL OF OUR BODIES ARE DIFFERENT AND THEREFORE NOT EVERYONE WILL EXPERIENCE THE SAME SIDE EFFECTS.

Perhaps my positive experience on yaz can be contributed to me not being a smoker and consuming a reasonably healthy diet, however I am not some miracle being, I rarely intentionally exercise and I do enjoy to wine and dine often. If you already have depression, are overweight, are pre-disposed to mood swings and are generally an emotional person, you cannot expect to be bouncing off the walls with joy on your first few months of any pill, let alone experience weight loss and a general positive outlook on life.

Besides contraceptive reasons, I went on the pill to regulate my period, make it lighter and clear my skin. ALL THESE POSITIVES THAT I NOW ENJOY DID NOT HAPPEN OVERNIGHT, IT TOOK 3+ MONTHS FOR ME TO SEE RESULTS, YOU MUST BE PATIENT! The pill is no overnight miracle cure for any of these things and to think that they are means you probably haven't researched thoroughly.

The main point of what I have to say is, you can read a million forums about every pill and there will be good and bad things sad, but at the end of the day a pill that works for someone else may not work for you and you have to give it time, communicate with those around you about the changes that may happen so they are understanding, but by all means if things are really serious you should seek medical help.

Everyone should also be aware that every pill has its serious side effects as most make your more predisposed to blood clots, strokes etc. The Pill is just one more thing that can provoke such illnesses and if anything going on the Pill has made me more conscious of maintaining a balanced diet and avoiding smoking etc.

For some, Yaz may have been a **** time and I totally understand that it doesn't work for all, but you shouldn't blow it off or any other pill because of the comments you read, the most sensible thing to do is communicate honestly your symptoms, intentions and lifestyle with your doctor before going on the pill.
I am very grateful for the responses on here, especially from the guys - I have been on several hormonal contraceptives in the past under doctors directions for anemia and acne. I have even used the Mirena. If they made me depressed and anxious and someone I don't recognise, then why would any other hormonal contraceptive be any different? I had to use natural progesterone during my last pregnancy to prevent myself from going into labour. Well my boy is 20 months old now and I am just starting to feel like myself again. Hormonal contraceptives and HRT can not only take a while to wear off after you stop using them, they can also have permanent effects on your body, mainly the delicate endocrine system.

Girls, now do your research. Doctors are there to offer advice, and diagnose and give options, but you are in charge of your body and wellbeing. There are non hormonal and even non prescription alternatives to treat acne, heavy bleeding, irregular bleeding and all sorts of things, so long as you know the reason for the problem. There are health supplements and diets and chemical free facial regimens that work and that are simple. For acne I use Nutrogena oil free facial wash, and I dab lime oil on the offending areas (although it is an essential oil, it dries them out and kills the bacteria and doesnt leave the skin oily as it is astringent). I also take a vitamin supplement with zinc, magnesium and B vitamins. For heavy bleeding there are a number of teas (check out a helth food shop or natropath) and even a prescription medication (tranexamic acid) which help. For Irregular periods there are more natropathic options, Vitex for one, and N-Acetyl Cystene (an amino acid) will help people with PCOS or hormonal dysfunctions to regulate periods and help you feel great. Feel you. Speak to a natropath and ask as many questions as you need. It is your body. Check out the net.

As for contraception; well the hassle of using a condom or some non hormonal option is something my husband and I are willing to go through to preserve BOTH OUR SANITY..... because lets face it, it is about the both of you and  in many cases about the children you are raising as well.
We keep the condoms handy, have become quick at putting them on, so it is not an issue at the crucial moment, and we have a variety of types to make it interesting. Besides that, we also have alot of fun without vaginal penetration....and there is more of a mental connection during sex now that artificial hormones are not messing with my head.

I will not be taking Yaz, as prescribed by my gyneacologist and GP. I am sad to say that a couple of my friends are battling depression from the pill, and they don't realise they are different now than before they started it. They also have a false sense of security in the pill as they feel that because the doctor said take it to cure their problems that they must.

Not every solution comes from a prescription....broaden your outlook..
I have been on yaz for almost 3 years now. It was all good except for this year and last year. I never gain weight until a year ago. I had periods that lasted 2 weeks . Yaz did help alot until it stopped working for me. I been eating alot, Tired alot, gain weight I went from 80 something pounds to 98.7 pounds. I gained around 12.7 pounds in 2 years.  I am on my 3rd period this month. I been feeling sick and dizzy. I dunno why I am bleeding again for the second time. I had break though bleeding before. I called my doctor and she told me to take three months off so my body can clean it's self and get back to normal . Taking three months off helped alot. When I had the three months off the pill  I felt so much better , I didn't have any of the side effects . I've been having headaches .
The Mirena IUD is awesome. Long history of safety in Europe; progesterone in device does not circulate in bloodstream. Stays in for 5 years. I have had NO PERIODS with it in, which is great since I tend to be anemic. I am on my second one, so it is 10 years now. I highly recommend.
I have taken Yaz for 2 years for PMDD, and it is nothing short of a miracle. I am 45 and am on 3 other meds for mood disorders, which were unable to fix the hormonal cycling of my depression. My adult acne has completely gone. I do not take the pills that are inactive, and I do not have periods; I am a physician and this is a perfectly safe thing to do. I am agonizing now about having to go off the pill; I had a scare this weekend where I thought I had a blood clot in my leg. I sit at a computer 10 hour a day for work, and Beyaz (Yaz with folic acid) has recently been found to have more risk of blood clots than originally thought.
So, what you're saying is that more than hundreds of women who were trying to be responsible about their sex life and decided to go on a birth control as prescribed by their doctor are those who should not be taking the pill even though they are the audience for which it was designed?

Wow, really good addition to the forum where people are trying to share their problems. I'm glad you decided to include yourself in something where you obviously can add nothing of any importance.

I have been on Yaz for about 9 months straight now.  I was on it for 4 months previously as well but kept breaking out in terrible skin rashes and was switched to another which caused depression issue and severe moodiness.  I recently talked to a Doctor and found out I may be suffering from PMDD in which Yaz was the only Birth Control Pill that allowed me to feel like a normal person throughout the month with the exception of one week of craziness before my period.  Since I started Yaz, while it worked for me mentally, it has made me feel very sick each month, almost everyday.  I come down with colds, have flu-like symptoms, serious muscle pains, terrible migraines, and now I am starting to get heart palpitations with numb arms.  I do not smoke and live a fairly healthy life-style.  I have also developed more severe asthma since I have started Yaz in which it hasn't bothered me much since I was 16 (I am now 24).  Each time I get my period, I suffer from allergy-like symptoms, with a week of severe moodiness before.  Also, I have started to get sores on my tongue and now I have serious jaw pains which have made it hard for me to go to work and live life normally.  I have developed skin rashes and dry patches all over my skin and am afraid I am having serious allergic reactions to the pill.  I have had Cysts on my ovaries in the past even though I am a healthy person.  After reading about the lifelong side-effects of Yaz, I am thinking of switching...

See this information page on the side-effects of Yaz and life-threatening issues:
http://www.yaz-yasmin-lawsuit.com/problems/

Hello. Yaz is a good pill to cure hormonal imbalance... But  don't take it longer... the longer to take it the more side effects u will have... i've been using it for 6 months now and i stopped.... i experienced painful breast... and when i had my blood test... my triglycerides rise up to a high level...just for a span of 6 months its goes too high... last year my trigly is 131.7and after 6 months it became 339.6  so alarming... yaz is one factor that can cause bad health...  natural contraceptive is much better than taking any pill... it can also damage ur liver... just an advice...

http://bestpanicattackcure.com/panic-away-review.htm
I just want it to state, for the record, that I took this (%*#^ing) pill for 3 weeks and by the end of it, I was unrecognizable to the people closest to me AND myself!  I'm 31 and I'll admit that I have struggled with depression and anxiety in the past but that was a long time ago.  I've learned how to steer myself away from those dark times and so far, so good!  Enter Yaz.  At first it was this awful taste in my mouth (not metallic which seems to be another side effect I've read about?).  Eventually....I trace the taste to the pill.  I switch up the time I take it (currently not relying it it as my only form of birth control) and the taste follows.  All the while - I am losing my freaking mind.  My dearest friends are telling me they are scared for me!  "Really worried".  Wtf?!  I've never heard these things from them before and at the time, I couldn't hear it.  Thankfully I started to wonder if this pill might have some other negative side effects other than the awful taste and low and behold - it's turning women into crazy people!!!  The first day off of Yaz was shaky (like the 3 weeks I was on the pill) but honestly, by the 2nd day I feel like a a massive weight had been lifted from my shoulders!!!  I'm hesitant to even write this but....I actually had suicidal thoughts.  With ALL the stuff I've dealt with in my life, suddenly, for no reason at all (no major life changes going on) I'm thinking about who will look after my dogs and how my mom will cope when I'm gone?  Terrifying. :(  I just want to let it be known.  I've read that some women have had hugely positive experiences and I would hate for them to not be able to have what they need but holy crap - be aware - if you start taking this and have mood changes that last more than a few days - see a doctor or stop taking it!!!  Best of luck to all of you ladies!  
I just read your post and others after collecting my first prescription for YAS this morning. I have already taken the first pill, but will discard of the rest. Thank you for posting. My husband and two sons need me - much more than I need my period and period pain regulated. Thank you and I am sorry for your wife.
I too took Yaz and became very angry and almost lost my family. At the same time I became depressed and tried to kill myself. I have a very wonderful husband of 20 years and 4 beautiful children who would have had to spend the rest of their lives without me. I am greatful for them and my irregular periods.  Research....research....research.....Please think twice before you take any medication.
I have been on Yaz for about 6 months now and wondered if anyone is experiencing a flat line effect emotionally and lowered sex drive. I had been on two anti-depressants and went off them hoping these emotional feelings would come back but they haven't so I am curious to know if it's the yaz?  Help and info from anyone is appreciated.
hm...i think any OCP will have different effect on everyone. first to think is that, your wife age, does she over 35 years old when she took them? if yes, that should not happen. and also does she smoke or have anyone of your family or her colleagues smoking?  still she can be a passive smoker. smoking and age does really matter when it come to the birth control pills
Hello, I see its months later now, just got on this site, so glad, thought i was starting to suffer from depression, now I see its Yaz. We also had the same problem, brownish bleeding after sex.. terrible, i already had such a low libido and then i have to go feel self concious and dirty after, ive stopped for a week now, will see what happens.
I used Estrostep Fe for about 8 years and never had any problems.  When I had to relocate overseas for work I asked my gyno if he could give me any free samples of birth control because I was worried about getting legitimate pills. He didn't have Estrostep, but did have Yaz.  I used it for a month and it seemed OK.  The pharmacies where I lived all stock Yaz so it wasn't a problem to get it and I never thought twice and have been using it for 2 years.  

During those 2 years my sex drive has COMPLETELY diminished.  My fantastic husband has put up with my moody resistance but I began noticing how bizarre it was that I could go almost a month without feeling the need to be with him.  In fact, the ONLY time I really feel drawn towards him was when I'm was on the off week!  

Over the past 8 months sex has become incredibly painful. I visited my regular gyno on a trip back home and he didn't seem concerned and just recommended lube.  That didn't work. Period. What I once found enjoyable turned into some I dreaded and wanted to end.

I am now researching NFP because I am worried to use any of the pills overseas and don't know how to get bulk supplies of Estrostep Fe.

I cannot say this enough: Do NOT use this pill. I can't imagine how devastating this could have been to my marriage if my relationship hadn't been as strong as it is.

Be smart, do your research (which I didn't) and don't always trust that your doc has your best interest in mind. Good luck!
I have started using Yaz about two years ago and absolutely loved it. I didn't feel like there was a significant decrease in my sex drive, did have some weight gain, but since it seemed to be all in my breasts, I really didn't mind too much (not being well endowed on my own).
My husband and I spend long periods of time apart and since I have read about the possible side affects of birth control, I would go off Yaz whenever we were apart. I have noticed some hair loss every time I go off, but changing hormone levels would explain that and going back on Yaz caused a real renewed hair growth so that didn't worry my too much either.
Last year (July 2013) however after being back on Yaz for 7 weeks I suddenly started experiencing severe trouble breathing. Have suffered from exercise enduced asthma before, I just used an inhaler. Within in 3-4 weeks I went from doing comfortable 10km runs to getting palpitations and being out of breath from walking to the bathroom. I went for a lung test and was told that I am risking my life going anywhere without an inhaler. I am now on the highest possible dosage of 3 different asthma medications and can finally run again, but I still have chest pain every single day.
After reading this forum I have decided to go off Yaz and see if there is any significant improvement.
Along with the asthma I have also experienced mood changes, going from being a very energetic, enthusiastic person to being emotional and teary, tired all the time and having no passion or enthusiasm for anything.
I have constant headaches and unexplained sidepains and of my sex drive, it still occasionally visits.
I am happily married to an amazing man and if it wasn't for that I don't know if I would have been able to deal with any of this.
Will check in again if I experience any changes after discontinuing Yaz.
Viewing 601-672 comments: