Yeast Infection

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Yeast Infection

My gf gets yeast infections regularly and has been told her body doesn't produce enough friendly bacteria. So, we think the two of these tie together. It affects our sex life and I know there are remedies to increase the friendly bacteria, can you recommend some good ones?
Tags: sex, bacteria
Have her eat yogurt with live cultures every day to help balance bacteria levels or L. acidophilus capsules which are the one of the cultures in yogurt that help yeast levels. These do not work for everyone but it is worth a shot. Best wishes for you both.

Sissie
I'd just like to add that whoever told your girlfriend that her body did not produce adequate "friendly" bacteria should also have informed her of the ways to counteract this. I am, as usual, NOT amused by the medical establishment.
As the poster above has pointed out, there are a number of good, natural ways to help balance the flora in your partner.
Yogurts, Activia, acidophilus caps & acidophilius milk, liquid probiotics. Stop in a reputable health food store and discuss the problem. They will have a number of options to help her.
If they can not diagnose why she does not produce enough good bacteria, they need to discuss a life-long diet/suppliment plan.
But I sure wouldn't go back to the same doctor who just let her walk out the door with no knowledge or understanding of her condition.
That doctor needs a mega-dose of anti-quackery elixar.
Peace
Greenlydia
Addendum:

In my post above, when I am writing about the health food store and end with "They will have a number of options to help her."
That part is fine. but I should have put a space between that sentence and the next one. When I write "If THEY cannot diagnose why............."
"THEY" refers to the doctors, NOT the health store workers.

Sorry for the confusion. Too much java.
GL
i was told the same thing and informed that i should try to change my diet...low sugar, low gluten, high in protien, and high in fiber...it helped a ton. I started taking grape seed extract nightly to help prevent yeast infections...and i also take a probiotic 3 times a day that has at least 3 million live bactria in it...i use one that needs to be kept cold to ensure the bactria are still alive when i take it