blood vessels popping in hands

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

blood vessels popping in hands

What a lot of posts on this subject. But I am relieved as for years I have had this thing happening to me. I am right handed and occasionally I get an itchy feeling from a vein in the palm side of my right hand followd by a bee sting feeling. When I look there is a blue bruise developing. I have never had any prior trauma to cause this. It just happens out of the blue. Once it happened inside the fleshy pad on my palm and it went very red then almost black - covered the whole fleshy bit. I showed it to a pharmacist and he said I should see my GP as it was so large. He asked the usual questions like had I knocked it. My GP said he had never heard of this. A dermatologist told me practically the same thing and told me to take a photo next time it happened and bring it to his clinic!! But my camera isn't that good so couldn't. Sometimes it happens just after I've gripped something - like a door handle - but mainly it comes out of the blue like when I'm watching TV! I'm 67 and had this for years and years. I get quite frustrated when even a dermatologist says he's never heard of it. My blood pressure is quite normal but I suffer with hypothyroid and take thyroxine. Incidently nine years ago I flew twice to Africa and developed a HUGE bruise on the inside of my upper arm after 8 hours flying. This happened twice. So obviously I don't take asprin before flying anywhere! When I flew to nearer locations I was ok.....But regards the hand briuses I only get them on the palm side of my right hand. I can't remember getting any on my left hand or anywhere else for that matter. Last night I noticed a small bruise under my fingernail but it didn't hurt. And I hadn't knocked it. Sometimes the hand blood bursts are a bit painful and sometimes they are VERY painful. I would love to know what causes this though. A year ago I developed a skin condition on my back called "granuloma annulare". It just appeared - itchy and unsightly - but again there is no known reason why people get this or no known cure.
have been having these popping bleeds for more than 30 years and this is the first time I have EVER had anyone even remotely understand what I am talking about. I am 68 years old, in good health, and of average weight.I eat a healthy diet a well as exercise. I find that I get many more incidences in the hot weather. It almost never happens in the winter. I have learned to raise the affected arm and put ice on it immediately. This keeps the finger or wrist from swelling but it still discolors for a few days. My friend who is a vascular surgeon said I had "fragile veins" and told me not to worry about it, I, too, was concered about strokes. I asked, "If it can happen in my fingers and wrist, what keeps it from happening in my brain?" He did not answer.

Thank you for sharing your experiences. It helps to know there are others out there:-)
Yes I'm worried about this too - have been taking Rutin to strengthen blood vessels and I too eat a healthy diet. So many doctors just shake their heads and say they've never heard of it. I went to see a dermitologist some time ago at my local hosital about a totally different matter and I mentioned this sudden bruising to him. He looked totally perplexed and told me to take a photo of it next time it happened and bring it along to him. Its just so disheartening when people keep saying "are you sure you didn't knock yourself?". Haven't had another sudden bruise since I put this thread on here bit I do get what I call "itchy veins/capillaries" on my hands.
I am glad I'm not alone on this. It scared me at first as it feels like you have been stung  now all I have is a purple bruise on my finger. If there so many out there that get this then surely there is something that can be done or investigated. I take blood pressure tablets I wonder if this has anything to do with it.
I noticed small bruises on the back of my hands about a month ago, with no recollection of knocking anything and no pain.  Today, I was helping my husband move a piece of furniture and then I saw this big swelled up bruise on the back of my hand.  It's not painful unless I press on it, but looks like the largest vein on the back of the hand has burst and formed a hematoma.  I put an ace bandage on to keep the swelling down.  Has anyone else experienced this from lifting something heavy?
I have had this happen when lifting something heavy as well as when not doing anything. As I posted earlier, this has been going on for 30 years. It has not gotten more frequent and no physician knows what I am talking about. Recently my grown daughter told me that she has just started experiencing the same thing.