cramping immediately after intercourse

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

cramping immediately after intercourse

I'm not quite sure what is going on.  I have been having sex with my boyfriend daily for the past several months.  Whenever we have sex in which he penetrates me deeply, I have severe cramps immediately afer intercourse.  I feel like I am having MAJOR menstrual cramps and they usually last for anywhere up to an hour and then they fade.  I'm worried that I am injuring myself or that something is wrong with me internally.  Has anyone had this kind of pain, or have any idea what is going on?
Well if your having sex daily...for the past several months...I envy you. ;) You mention he's penetrating you deeply...I take it he's endowed? Perhaps he's stretching you beyond your limits...or he needs to learn to be a little more gentle. If you want to consider something internally I would ask the following:

1. Have you ever had surgury? Perhaps there are some potential adhensions pulling on parts of your body during sex.

2. Have you ever had an STD? Gonorrhea and Chlamydia are known to cause painful intercourse. However, if you had those, your boyfriend would probably know by now if you're having unprotected sex.

3. It may sound silly, but do you "warm up" before sex? Is there any stress or apprehension while having sex? Perhaps you're tensing up and there's a certain level of muscle strain going on. Try some streches before sex... or work up to it with some fingering or toy play to get you more ready.

4. If you're still having problems, go in for an ultrasound to check for potential scarring or tumors.

This can be solved.
I have severe cramping after intercourse as well, especially after penetration from behind.  It feels like intense menstrual cramps times a billion, and it is through my whole abdomen.  It feels bloated and even hurts to touch, and I often feel like I might throw up.  It subsides after 30 minutes or so but I have off and on cramping and frequent, somewhat urgent bowel movements the rest of the day.  (Yum, right.)

My doctor found a few years ago that my uterus is retroverted, or tilted.  When I asked about this pain, she said it was most likely cause by his penis literally coming into contact with my uterus/cervix and causing something like contractions.  I have seen a few others on this board with similar symptoms who also have tilted uteruses. (uteri?)

I try to avoid really deep penetration where possible or take anti-inflammatories before sex if I know it's coming, haha.  There are certain positions that work better than others, and you can usually tell right away if something's going to cause you pain and put a stop to it.  

So that may your problem, but I would DEFINITELY tell your gyno about the pain and make sure there's nothing else going on.  

Good luck!

I have had this same thing happen to me twice so far. Once was over a year ago... but again just last night. There was no pain during sex, until after he pulled out. Then I started screaming and I couldn't move from the fetal position I was in. I got up and made myself walk to the bathroom. I felt super sweaty and my heart started to race a mile and hour. And if I could related this to anything I'd swear this is what labor feels like... I nearly called 911. The pain was so bad I stared to vomit up dinner. This lasted for at least and hour. I tried heat and everything, but nothing could take the pain away. I have been prone to cysts and I do have endometriosis. Everyone I read about seems to insist that it's due to those two things. But there's no way on earth that the pain could be related to that. I've had a cyst removed from my ovary and I know what ovarian pain feels like and it's nothing like this. It's more so having to do with the cramping of muscle... maybe uterine... I dunno. Anyways. I too do have an inverted uterus and I have yet to talk to my Gyno. I've been trying to get pregnant and if I'm not I should be getting my period today or tomorrow. There are just so many factors... but now that I've felt like I've been in labor twice with nothing to show for it... I'm definitely heading to the Gyno soon! I'll try and post an update on here as soon as I talk with her. It seems like this is more common than I had thought! Good luck girls!
Have you had any imaging done like MRI? CT? or Ultrasound?
A few years ago I had a CT that showed cysts. I had one that was growing and not going away. I've have several ultrasounds leading up to the surgery and I had at least one after... but that has been a few years ago.
Hmmm...tell me again what the surgery was... I had surgery to remove my spleen as a young adult. Now in my 40's I suffer from chronic pain in that area. CT scans give clues to adhesions and potential scar tissue that may be pulling on different portions of my body. This pulling can cause me pain. Perhaps you've got some scar tissue and adhesions going on that are doing the same thing.

http://www.adhesions.org/faqs.htm
They removed a cyst on my R ovary. It was supposed to be laperscopic... but they ended up opening me up fully because the ovary had grown and attached itself to the wall it lays against. I'm not sure what that really means... but they also said it had adhered to an area that a major blood vessel runs through and it would be extremely dangerous if I had to have it removed in the future. Something about bringing in vascular surgeons and such. The surgery was long and it seemed to have been difficult for them because I'm small and the fact that it was attached. She said nothing more about the blood vessel... but it has always worried me.
Hmmm...well I'm not a surgeon. So I can't give my opinion there, but anytime someone has surgery, there is a possibility of adhesions forming afterwards. It seems that you're taking the right course of action. Continue seeing your doctor and ask him about this. Perhaps it may help.
I too have experienced cramping from deep sex - and like someone has already mentioned - its the hitting on your cervix - in fact - when I go in for pap smears - the action of swabbing my cervix causes cramping.
my wife had similar pain after intercourse. she cant move walk . she feels so tired . She feel extreme pain below navel and in left part of lower abdomen . Does anyone find solution please do write to me at bhavin.***@****

I will be really thankful . I feel much better after reading all the stuff that she is not alone.
It sounds like she might have ovarian cysts or endometriosis.  She needs to follow up with her doctor.

Aj
I started getting these cramps right after sex, and once i pee they go away in seconds.  My mom said that it's probably caused by a curved cervix.  I don't know.
Please start your own thread if you have a question.
Well this is the first time for me...I don't know what is causing it, and it's starting to freak me out...I'm only 18 years old, and I really hope that I'm not pregnant, that's really all I have seen when I have looked up this cramping after sex...I don't know what's going on, and it's starting to freak me out...I have had a syst on my right ovary that was the size of a golf ball, and they also had to remove my appendix, sometime in June...and well, I'm also in the Marching Band at my school...Ever since I started having these pains my lower back is killing me...and it hurts really bad...and I don't know what's going on..My fiance and I do have protected sex and him and I have been together for a year and a half....and I have never had these sort of pains until now...I don't know what it is, but it is starting to freak me out...and I'm hoping that I will be able to find out from here...Can someone help me and tell me something...I was talking to a friend the other day, an she also told me that he could of hit my bladder at one point...but I didn't think that could seriously happen, haha. But I really need to know something...can someone help me?
I am 40 and have had extreme "labor like" pain after sex. It just happened last night. I threw up because of the pain. I had to stay in a fetal position and focus on my breathing so that I would not hyperventilate. I rather enjoyed the sex but when he pulled out the pain started. I am one of many Americans that do not have insurance. I am worried that something is very wrong with me.
I am sure we have all experienced this. I have a tilted uterus as well and experience agony after sex. Yes it is great but after it's torture. It's not fair lol. Even masturbation can cause it sometimes. It's ridiculous. I am not sure how to stop it. But I am glad I am not alone.
You can get cramps after orgasm or after intercourse for a few reasons

1. If you have a tilted uterus (1 in 4 people have this) it means that you are more suseptable to feeling pain with deep penetration due to its position. My boyfriend is below average in size, yet it still hurts to go deep

2. Endometriosis in the Cul de Sac region. The cul de sac in the area between your cervix and your bowel that lies next to it. I had endo there and everytime my cervix was touched I could feel pain there

3. Ovarian cycts are a very common cause of cramping. Having an orgasm or having deep penetration will often trigger pains in the cervix and the ovaries down the right or left side of your pelvic region and down your thighs. It is a radiating pain, that can feel like a dull ache or a stabbing pain
I'm going for a laproscopy soon to confirm if I have endometriosis, the ultrasound today did not give a clear enough image although you can see the thicker lining. Gyne has already said I have cysts on my ovaries. I too have been cramping badly after sex, to the point of cold sweats and even vomitting. She is suggesting I put the Merena IUD to help thin the walls but other wall posts have been quite negative and now i've become a bit apprehensive, but at the same time, it is removable ....and what am I to do? Put up with this for the rest of my life??
I am not a virgin, i am HOPEFULLY not pregnant, but i have cramps after sex for seemingly no reason at all. I have not been to the gyno but i guess that is the next step in figuring this out? Has anyone else experienced this problem?
cramps after sex isn't a std issue. definitely follow up on this with your gyn.

have you and your partner had full std screenings too?

grace
I have had the same problem since I was 16, I am now 30. I was told I have a retroverted uteus also. You guys are correct it is one of the most intense pains I ever felt. I feel the sudden cramping & urge to poop but with no results, then the cold sweats start. Sometimes this pain last for an hour or two and other times around 45 minutes. What confuses me so much is that my periods aren't really all that painful & this pain doesn't happen every time I have deep penetration just occasionally. Idk what it stems from but I know it's a terrible feeling. -Tonya
You are describing exactly what happens to me as well!  They always seem to say I'm fine at the doctor, but I just do not feel okay with that.  I would like to keep on enjoying sex and sometimes the pain is just so intense afterwards.  

Has anyone also experienced bleeding?  I usually don't get that along with the pain, but it has happened on rare occassions.  I usually get the extremely cramping followed by the urge to go to the bathroom (diarrhea), but don't actually go.  

I can't find a pattern to all of this either...it seems to happen randomly.

-Courtney
this is probably better discussed on the women's forum or gyn forum. this isn't std related and you'll get much better answers from the gals over on that type of forum :)

grace
It only happens once in a while but sometimes during sex I feel sharp shooting pains in one side of my abdomen then right after I feel extremely intense menstrual pains. I actually had such horrible pain that I had cold sweats and I fainted a few minutes later. I went to so many doctors because of the fainting but now I am beginning to think that it`s from the pain I experienced. It actually scares me so much because the idea of surgery gives me anxiety. I have abnormal pap results and I see a gyno every 6 months. Does everyone agree that these pains are caused my cysts? Or could it be something caused by "rough" sex?
This happened to me once after having sex with my husband. About 3 minutes after orgasm, I began to cramp. It was just one long, never-ending uterine cramp so intense I could not move, could not get out of bed, started sweating and hyperventilating and almost passed out. I wound up in the ER. The cramp lasted for over an hour, and when it finally let up, I began to have diarrhea and everything in my digestive system purged out. I felt weak and sore for a couple days afterward. I would love to know why that happened.
Ive had sex and im having a cramping feeling in my lower stomach area, and also from doing the "doggy style" my bottom hurts and i had sex last night and this morning im still feeling the pain.. What to do?
I have the same pain and mine last a over an hour. I have only had two and I had a hysterectomy about 3 months ago when I went to the er they said I have proctalgia fujax but I am just not sure I have been to my obgyn and he can find anything wrong. I do have cyst on my ovaries but he said that would not be the cause unless one the burst and he didn’t see any evidence of that so I will be going to a proctologist and see what they said.
Orgasims can cause intense contractions of the cervix my doctor has told me thats the reasons for my pain & also especially if you are having deap penitration the cervix is being hit & often causes the same contractions often like labour pains

PS.
I TEND TO KNOW WHEN HES GOING TO DEEP & PULL AWAY SLIGHTLY OR POSITION MYSELF BETTER AS SHOULD YOU LADIES :) THEN I CAN OFTEN AVOID THE SEVERE PAIN! DOGY STYLE IS THE WORST FOR GETTING THE AFTER PAINS.
It happens to me alot as well. Ive thrown up, layed in the fetal position for almost an hour in extreme pain and its weird because during sex I feel fine...But I have paid close attention to when it happens and its generally right around my period. I spoke to my gyno about it and she said it is probably because around your period everything is inflamed, and sensitive. Plus, we usually like to do it from behind and that as well as me on top makes it to where he goes deeper into me causing him to hit my cervix. Since he is well endowed it happens easily. Just the combination of those things cause it . But if you notice the timing is close to your period just avoid deep penetration during this time . If your on top dont go down all the way , or let your partner know and keep him on top. But one of those girls was right about the whole feeling like contractions.. its irritates the cervix causing cramping and cramping is a womens body preparing you for real birth contractions . If we didnt get the practice before just imagine how shocking the already terrible pain would be.. sorry if I rattled on but I know how irritating this is and to get all the info you can get helps.
I had unprotected sex last night and has been trying to get pregnant. But unlike the other times this mornin I woke up with mild cramps. And had unprotected sex last night please help.
i have gone through in detail the all blogs and nobody can explain the treatment in its true nature of solution.  i am homeopathic practitioner.  and i would like to quote some medicine, which is very very help to cure the cramp problem.  

Cuprum Arsenicosum  cramps on  legs and whole body.
Cuprum Mat
Colocyntis   cramps on abdominal

these medicines give instant relief of cramping pain, which some time very severly effect at any body part.  
Panda
Where can I get the cuprum arsenicosum and the cuprum mat? I have at times as all the other ladies, abdominal pains aka labor sex pains in addition to chronic pain pretty much everywhere else. Because of some of my conditions, my doctor had to reduce my pain meds and now I'm desperate for relief and trying alternative pain reduction therapies. Also, could you provide an approximate of what the cost should be as far as a high & low so I, as well as any other reader, will know whether we are paying too much. Thank you in advance!
I have the same cramps, but the contact while sex is going on feels sooooo good!
I'm 41, never had children, and I have cramps after an orgasm. Not necessarily any penetration. It ususally depends on how intense the orgasm is. It feels like extreme menstral cramps that come in waves and get further appart as time passes. Sometimes it's so bad I'm sweating and in the fetal position. I've found that bearing down somtimes helps it. I have fibroid tumors in my uterous. That has been what my Doctor says can cause it. I think it's just severe spasms we are feeling. I also have found that it can be worse if you are experienceing any constipation or have not completely evacuated your bowls.
Did you end up going to see your gyno regarding this problem?  And if so, what was the verdict? Your explanation was spot on the dot with what I have been experiencing lately and I'm even too scared to have intercourse now because the pain is too much. I have had std tests and they came back clean and I even thought I may be pregnant, but I am now menstruating, so that rules that out. I have a scan for this booked in but they didn't have any avail for two weeks, so I decided to goole and it seems its more popular than I thought.  Glad I'm not the only one, but scared of what the result may end up being.
I had severe cramping after intercourse as well, especially after penetration from behind.  I felt intense menstrual cramps, and it was through my whole abdomen.  I felt bloated and even hurt to touch, and I often felt like I might throw up. After two hours I couldn't take it anymore and went in to the ER. Turns out I ruptured an ovarian cyst.
Hi, I looked at this post immediately when I started feeling this pain, it was right after sex and I started feeling very nauseous and was shaking as if i was cold. The pain was unbearable, even rolling over on my side was some of the worst pain I had ever felt. After about a half hour, my mom decided to bring me and my boyfriend to the emergency room. I was there for about 3 hours and after having an external and internal ultrasound, they had found that I had a giant cyst, bigger than my actual ovary that had ruptured. prior to it rupturing, I remember feeling my stomach, next to my left pelvic bone and it was extremely hard to the touch. If you are feeling nauseous, are in extreme pain in your lower abdomen, and find it very difficult and painful to walk or move, you probably have a ruptured or disturbed cyst. Just wanted to let all the ladies out there know because I as scared of having to go through surgery because of appendicitis. If you think that a cyst is exactly what it is, save yourself from going to the doctor. There is nothing they can give you other than some pain meds. You need to wait until the fluid/ blood get re- absorbed, and the body will heal itself. In my case, the cyst was 4cm long and will take a month to re-absorb, you can base it off of that if you can
I can truly relate to all you women. During and after intercourse, I experience extremely bad cramps, and NO i do not have STD's of any kind. When I was younger, I had my right ovary removed due to some type of cancerous cyst, and in 2008 the cramping gotten so bad that I went ahead and had a full hysterectomy. I couldn't deal with the painful cramps every month, and to top it off I had to deal with painful sex. After all of that, I still experience cramps during and after sex. It's to the point that I told my husband that I don't care what he does, he's not having sex with me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I still have the desire to have sex with my husband, but the pain makes me think twice so it's not going to happen(lol). We women really have it rough, so to say. And plus after my surgery May 2008, my husband has been afraid to even touch me in a sexual way. I feel like we are best friends rather husband and wife. (strange).
This has happened to me a handful of times throughout my life since I became sexually active.  The closest way to describe the pain of the cramp, is similar to labor pains where it almost feels like the uterus is contracting and the cramping also moves into my upper thighs, just like my labor pains.  It happened to me this morning.  My boyfriend and I hadn't had sex in about 3 days, and we were excited and he was extremely erect so it went a little deeper.  It didn't feel bad until about 10 minutes into it, and then once he pulled out, OUCH, the cramps started getting way more intense.  I had to stop.  It hurt so bad, that I couldn't stay still, and I rocked... at one point I felt like I needed to throw up. I ended up getting in the shower, and laying on the floor of the shower on my back while the warm water fell on my lower abdomen.  After some steady deep breathing and trying to mentally fight the pain, it went away like nothing even happened.  It took about 10 minutes to fully subside but after that, I had no pain whatsoever.  It is from having a tilted uterus, which I do have according to my doc.
This was actually helpful. So you're saying there really isn't a cure. And also do you have abnormal cells or recommended leep surgery? Do you think they are intertwined the abnormal cells and the pain and cramping after sex?
Has anyone considered internal hemorrhoids as the cause of pain? I have moderate hemorrhoids and I get terrible cramps after sex, as well as some pain during sex. I am yet to investigate the problem with an Ob/Gyn, but I have always been told I was in perfect health during gynecological check ups... I am 29 y.o., no children.