embarrassing vaginal odor

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Viewing 201-258 comments:
I am 36 years old and Have been with 6 sexual partners in my lifetime. I just go back with my children's father about eight months ago. We had alot of sex but then I started getting Bacteria Vaginosis and yeast infections like mad. Get medical attention, tell your Doctor:

1) Two things BV and/or yeast should be treated at the same time with a pill (yeast) and vaginal gel (BV) combination.

2) If you are getting a reoccurring BV infection, you have Tricomones a low end STD that is so close to BV it is scary and men don't have symptoms like ever. Get treated for this both you and your partner.

Eat yogurt and drink Cranberry juice 100% do not douche this will be bad business, use no fragrance soaps not directly applied on the vagina, unless really bad discharges have occurred.
plz some one help me for this vaginal odor!
I am new On this Blog plz soem oen help :( itz like i have no life! i never had any bf relationship bt got sexually abuse in my childhood :( due to this vagina Odor i am not able to make any relationship :( I am 20 and really want some One to help me ! God Bless u all Abundantly Amen  
Hi. I'm 16 years old and for 5 years, i have been experiencing vaginal odors. It's very embarassing. I'm a virgin, very irregular period (got it about a year ago, year and a half) and VERY scared to go to the gyn. Couple months ago, my mom bought me canesten, thinking i had a yeast infection. It didn't change anything... What should i do? Help me please. Tho everyday, my panties are full of sweat and i'm always... wet (vagina)?, i noticed, that if i ate too much candy/chocolate, the odor is so much stronger and there is much more fluid, the next day. I'm so scared that people around me in class can smell it or something... Any solutions?!
hi!

I am 32 and my bf for 3months told me that i smell strong down there.So i was sad and and felt embarassing.My nurse  friend told me that i maybe had yeast infection,so she recommend me of buying suppository.Which i did and used it for 7dyas in a row as prescribed.After 2weeks,i had a sexuall intercourse with my bf,but still have the same smell?i think the suppositories that i bought i not working?what should i do?please do help.

thanx,
lonely girl
hi!

thanx,
lonely girl
If the otc yeast infection medication didn't work, go to your doc and have her do an exam. Ask her to prescribe fluconazole if you turn out to have a yeast infection. It's an oral Rx, single to two pills, depending on what your doc prescribes, that you take. No messy creams or suppositories. I've had repetitive YI and BV throughout my adult life (thanks to an ex-husband who was a ******************* ************) Anyway! The person who is best able to help you is a certified practitioner.

Tip: If you're prone to YI when using Rx antibiotics, ask your gyn to also prescribe you a Rx to prevent YIs.

Girls, something else to look into is vestibular vaginitis - which I do have. It's a result of having too many yeast infections. Even though your YI has gone away, your body - the nerves especially - may be responding like it still has one. I've been in to my doc for pain, itching, stinging, swelling and redness, and "odor" and haven't had an infection. If this is the case for you, look into it. :)  

To Everyone else who is afraid to go to your doctor. Let me put this very bluntly. Your vagina is beautiful and unique to you...but it is also only a vagina and your physician has seen many of them. Don't be embarrassed to get help. It's disrespectful to yourself and your own body to not be seen by a gynecologist. Plus, it's better to go through the few moments of embarrassment and be treated and get better than to avoid it all together and feel like utter sh**, right?  

Finally:
Don't stick anything up your vagina that isn't prescribed to you! Ex: Unless you hear from your own doctor's lips to put yogurt on a tampon and shove it up there, don't. Avoid anything with glycerin in it - BE CAREFUL of lubes especially. It's not as highly known as it should be that glycerin can cause YI and I didn't even know they were in lubes until my CNP told me about it. (Also, if you use any masterbatory aids (vibrators, etc.,) thoroughly clean them before and after each use, also with dye- and scent-free soup.) Dove non-scented, dye-free soap is what I've been told to use by my CNP. Also, don't use ANYTHING with scents - Summers Eve sprays, douching, etc. - because the chemicals that make up the "fragrance" can cause BV and YI. If you must use a wet-wipe during your period, try using sensitive skin, scent-free baby wipes.

Don't use bubble bath or bath salts, also because of fragrances and oils. Don't shave your legs or wash your hair and/or body, while sitting in a tub of water. I relax in a tub, sit on the edge of the tub to shave and suds up my body, then shower quick to wash my hair and rinse everything off. This seems to help, too. Oh, and wipe front to back, not back to front, even if you've only urinated. Use cotton pads during your period, not tampons, and make sure to change them every time you go to the bathroom to avoid holding bacteria so close to your body. Tampons harbor bacteria. I had a friend who kept getting YI and they went away when she stopped using tampons.

Yogurts have acidophilis which is a probiotic that helps with digestion and maintaining happy girl parts. Cranberries are a diuretic - they flush impurities out of your system. So drinking a glass of cranberry juice a day will also help you to keep a clearer urinary system. Water (even if it ***** and is icky, imo) is also good for your entire body.
Finally, I will re-iterate on what other posters have said:

PEE AFTER YOU HAVE SEX! It is important to do that.

Your body is like a self-cleaning oven...let it do its job.
this is the first time i am really posting such ting or question on very first blog. I am very confused about the part which is bothering me allot and makes me embarrass . I don't know if others have the same problem but i have these dark circles or you can say dark part of bikini side. not on my vagina but the inside of my thighs . and i am totally blank how to get that part clean as before and get rid of that dark skin because i am average skin color and this bothers me allot.
Aside from diet, yogurt, wearing breathable underwear and all those other recommendations WASHING IS VERY IMPORTANT. Don't just wipe with toilet paper and/or wet wipes especially after defecating it's important to wash when you can. You're not meant to wash inside your vagina, there shouldn't be any odor inside your vagina unless you have some kind of infection or imbalance. But you certainly MUST wash the vulva, between the folds of skin just outside your vagina (between your main slit, around your clitoris too)...we sweat in that area, urination gets left behind as well as other secretions, bits of TP etc...so of course it'll get smelly like any other part of your body if not washed properly. Here's a couple of websites that can help with improving female hygiene (without using any of those feminine products you see on TV):

- http://womentc.wordpress.com/2008/05/22/female-genital-hygiene/

- http://ezinearticles.com/?Feminine-Hygiene---Vagina-Health-and-Smell&id=346307

- http://www.faqs.org/health/Healthy-Living-V1/Personal-Care-and-Hygiene-Genital-care-for-females.html

I don't know about you but since I was a little girl my mother taught me to wash that area, she explained it gently and there was nothing to it...cup your hand and splash warm water in the area and gently with your fingers rub around and between the folds using a very mild soap/body wash...try cetaphil or baby wash or unscented dove moisturizing body wash to clean the area (do not go in your vagina and watch your nails, never douche unless told by your physician as this dries out your vagina and could cause problems) ...squat in the tub/shower if you have to (or put one foot up on a ledge if you can) and using a hand held shower head is even better. Wash the area twice a day. You must also wash around your anus to get rid of any extra feces left behind. Pat dry with a towel, and sometimes I even use my hairdryer (must be on cool setting)...keeping the area dry is important too.

Everyone of my female relatives including myself have never had bad odor problems down there and we've all been taught to wash since childhood. I think it may depend on your upbringing, as some of my friends say their mothers taught them and some of them say they didn't or that they didn't have a mother to teach them and those that didn't are always the ones coming to me with their "odor" problems. I also noticed guys/boyfriends telling me how women they'd been with in the past smell especially during sex...and were pleasantly surprised to find that I don't smell.

Granted we all have smells, especially after a busy day of running around, but if you wash daily it shouldn't be unpleasant or offensive to the point that it makes anyone complain about it, our natural aroma should turn them on...my fiance loves going down on me and so should any guy/gal you're with, love going down on you too.
You should be able to feel confident about yourself, be as close as you want to people and sit or stand however you please without being self conscious about any kind of odor.

I hope this helps...I'm only trying to look out for my fellow females. It is unfair when men generalize about girls and women having smelly genitals...because it just isn't true!
I'm only 21 and I'm experiencing the same kind of smell :( ifind it so embarrasing it makes me wanna cry. I'm sexually active with my boyfriend. We did it one day in the morning. Then when I wanted to gice him a ******* layer on that day I couldn't because the smell ofmy vagina was on his **** and I couldn't stand it. It even tasted weird. I wasn't like this before. Could it have been after fiving birth? Or why is this happening to me? Even with my period, the odor keeps getting worse as the years go by :(
I have recently gone off my anti depressant unexpectedly due to financial hardship. So now I am having withdrawal symptoms. Hot flashes w/sweating, brain shocks and nausea. Along with all that the only good part is that I can get aroused again without complication (due to the meds side effects).
My husband just informed me that since I went off the meds that my vagina has developed a peculiar odor, its there even after a shower. I didn't notice this because my head is in such a haywire, I am more aware of the hot flashes and brain shivers and what not than anything else.Has anyone ever experienced this ?? Please help!!!
My girlfriend has a strong vaginal odor which I mentioned to her the other day. She didn't take it very well, but it's much stronger than anyone I've ever been with. The relationship is kind of on the rocks and I feel like she isn't going to take this seriously but frankly I think this is going to be a major problem for her in the future and whatever may happen I genuinely do only want the best for her. As it stands there's no way she would go to the extent that some of the posters here have. Does anyone have any advice on how I can get through to her without being insulting?
bacteria vaganosis.. A dose of diflucan from your obgyn will clear it right up. dont try home remedy's such inserting pills or what not. They will never work and you will continue to be miserable. GOOD LUCK.
i have the same thing i dont know what it is
I am 15 years old, and I am a virgin. I will look at my underwear after a couple hours of wearing them and see white stuff in it. I also see that my underwear is slightly wet, as if I peed in my pants, though I never did. What is this??? I have a boyfriend, and I am afraid to do anything but kiss him because of this. Also, I will notice that my vagina smells. The scent isn't horrible, but it isn't nice. Why does my vagina smell? Is this normal?
i know how u all feel i have the same problem but for me i go thru pads like going thru candy im having to change the every 10 to 15 minutes and yes it is very embassaring but i thing my problem is a prolapse uteruse cause it smell like raw meat and im im inbarrass to have sex and im 47 and it painful when i do  but the smell is still there and i can even smell it thru mu clotes
Hi, your vulva has one basic issue. Your vaginal ph is too alkaline. You are too clean, speaking from a microbial sense. You need to focus on making your blood and body less acidic, and to bring back healthy intestional flora that will naturally reregulate your vaginas normal healthy state. Taking pro biotics can greatly help as well. If the bottle states to only take 1 or 2 twice daily, I actually take 5 or 6 twice or thrice daily. But that's just me, and believe me, u see results admediately. You and your sweetheart may need flagyl 1,000 mg at a one time dosage just to make sure you both don't have trichamosis. Btw, pro biotics are practically yougart in capsule form and no one ever died from eating lots of yougart. Might wanna do this. But as far as making your body alkaline. You would need to completely avoid soda of all kinds. All powerful simple sugars such as corn syrup. It is poison and extremely acidic. Please do some research on how to adjust ur blood chemistry as you regain your body's strength. Because right now, it isn't properly handling what nature means for it to handle. Your sweetheart needs to do this too. His body will continue to introduce into your system the same means to keep your vagina thrown off as far as ph is concerned. A diet of 80% alkaline foods and 20% acidic will start u off to realigning your chemistry, then to follow up with 60% alkaline and 40% acidic thereafter. Some fantastic foods to get u started are lemons (I would add half a lemons juice to every full glass of water I drink!) Grapefruits are truly disgusting but have for centuries been considered ambrosia (food of the gods). Just adding sugar to them defeats the purpose of eating it. Sugar is highly acidic. Celery is fantastic! Drink distilled or reverse osmosis water. Lots of organic true green tea. Salads. Stay away from red meats primarily and consume fish. When I began this in order to regain my health, I discovered I had round worms. Disgusting, I coulda died! But turns out, grapefruit will expell some parasites, if eaten in large quantity or supplemented strongly. It is fantastic. Needless to say I bolted for my doc! Note one thing: cancer and parasites cannot (CANNOT) survive in an alkaline environment. They need an acidic environment in order to survive and thrive. Fix your blood and body ph and see your vaginal issue dissapear, as mine didl.   I hope this helps you out gurl!  
How did you discover you had this allergy to wheat? Can you eat gluten? I think I might have the same allergy
Yeah your right. It is ALWAYS the man's fault. C'mon! Take some responsiblilty for your own crotch's lack of hygiene. A guys parts are outside and washable, for the most part. A woman's moist underwear covered crotch, is a bacteria breeding ground.
I hope this will help some; I'm an older, wiser woman, and have found from life long experience that your female lower parts are not created the same as the rest of your anatomy and should be treated as such. Seriously, this is where new life comes from. This is how we intimately 'embrace' our loving partner.

I practice a healthy routine for my entire body, but don't use soap of any kind anymore on my female parts. And don't let the commercials fool you! Feminine washes, lotions, etc. contain dyes, perfumes, stablizers, etc.

I experienced Multiple Chemical Sensitivity disorder for nearly twenty years until I figured out that all of me was too sensitive for additive and unnatural foods, products etc. I'm not a health nut fantic, but I don't use body lotions, anything but Ivory soap, and other dye and perfume free products, particularly laundry soaps, fabric softeners, etc. (anything that will touch your delicate female parts). And after showering or bathing and scrubbing well (loofua & toweling), I use pure, virgin olive oil on my feet, skin, rub a little into my scalp beneath my hair (is possible and won't grease your hair down, but healthy for the scalp), and I only use pure, virgin olive oil to clean my external female parts. I think douching once in awhile might be okay, but only with a tsp of vinegar in quarter or two water.....put no other products.

One gal was really smart about the probiotics, acidophilus...(acid-o-fill-us), change the PH acid to alkaline; good bacteria thrive in alkaline, overgrow in acid environment. Everything overgrows in acid imbalanced enviro; disease, bacteria, fat, etc....raise the alkaline PH....

I'm enjoying all of your wisdom and comments. Thank you. (I'm over on the vibrating, buzzing vagina forum)
Oh jolady, yes, you're correct. A healthy vagina regulates at a higher acid PH naturally. Washing, douching, creams, jells, etc., can certainly change the PH to an unhealthy state and create a breeding ground for bacteria.

And yes, the last gal.......like my mother always said, "Don't put that thing in your mouth! You don't know where it's been!" Or something along those lines...I pray young women..well...all active women take into careful consideration where 'that thing' may have been before conceeding to 'embrace' it. :)) ((Choose and know your intimate partner WELL))
Lotza good info there jolady! Thank you!
go to a state office and pick up free brochures. Leaving them where you know she will find them, as you walk away. It's good of you to care about her even if your relationship is on the rocks. It's not good for her to not care enough about herself to address what could be major health issues. If it's that bad down in the basement, then there's something amiss in the attic as well; if you know what I mean?
I'm trying to figure this thing out myself. First off, get a female Gyno, they exist. I've been to 3 over the years. They're everywhere. I sprayed some lavender water on myself, nice stuff, great to deodorize hair. put purified water in spray bottle to the top and then poor it into sauce pan. Boil, put 2 or 3 drops, whatever falls in, of real lavender oil. Let sit, cover w/ paper towel or tin foil(careful it's hot). let cool and then poor into spray bottle. Great stuff but do as I just said with spring or filtered water, the order of things is important. I've been putting California baby powder after I pee(which might be my problem, I pee often) California baby powder has tea tree oil and lavender in it. No talc, natural stuff. I'm also spraying crystal foot spray on my panties. It's a bit better. Don't know what to do next. It's been said drink lots of water too. Also if you eat meat don't eat canned tuna(changes everything and not in a good way). Also chicken smells, could get into the vaginal tissue the way canned tuna does. IT's so hard. I have problems too and I'm a vegetarian.
There are free clinics. If he had syphilis would he wait until it fled to his brain because he doesn't have insurance? That is so lame. He's just lazy. Tell him to give up whatever he's taking for a day and get things solved.
Hi Belle,

I never see a doctor who is a Man, mainly because I was treated badly by one when I was 17.  He told me he needed to use the largest speculum on me since I was 5'10 tall.  I told him I was very small "down there" and He cut me going in & I bled and felt like I had been raped by the doctor emotionally due to his callousness.  

I found a Woman who is a Gyn doctor, she is sensitive, gentle & very understanding about all female issues, even the most embarrassing ones.  My ex husband gave me Gonorreahea & Clamidia.  I was in tears when I told her of my odor, she assured me not to be embarrassed and treated me with dignity & respect.  Find yourself a Woman who practices ObGyn and you will feel confident with her enough to get the treatment you need.  Blessings to You & Yours Dear,  Please get the medical care you need, Your health is a precious thing, Caryn
don't you have something better to do with your time than to insult others??? we are here for a reason!!! why are you here?
Im in the 11th grade and ive experience a odor its not a fishy odor its diffrent im not sexually active because of this odor ive had this odor every since the 7th grade I wash everyday and wipe myself after using the restroom..help plz
I am 42 and have experienced vaginal odor off and on for over 10 years.  The Dr always put me on Flagyl which worked for a short period but the fishy smell always came back in a couple weeks.  About 3 years ago I found a product online called Femanol that does not require a prescription and I swear by it.  I have not had a trace of odor in 3 years.

Sally  
Practise?  You might need to stay in school yourself.
Hi all,

I accidentally found a cure to my vaginal odor.  I was bathing with a tea tree oil natural soap and washed my privates with it and realized that I no longer smelled!  I've been using this method for a few weeks and it's a miracle and natural.  I still smell like a woman, but no longer have that foul odor that I could smell on myself during the day at work.  I also sprinkle a little baby powder there to keep it fresh and prevent too much sweating since that was a problem of mine as well.

I'm curious to see if this works for others.  Tea tree oil is like a miracle for so many things and this may just be one of them.  I had to share.  
hi hello good day to all
i got a prblem in my vigina (vagina) it smells fishy and badly needed your hepls would it be ok
:(
Hi Lena,
i got an iud a few months back now and i keep getting BV(6 months)!  what other side effects were you having from the iud?! id like to know more, i am thinking of getting it removed:(

My doctor has given me a prescription for a cream called Metrogel 0.75% would that help?
My partner has never complained, but i feel embarrassed and uncomfortable..

I hope to speak to you soon:)
it is gardenella (bacteria vaginosis). Here are some tips that worked for me: Juicing Cucumber and cilantro juice (to reset the PH Value in the mucosa of vagina and cervix (drink 3 times a week until disharge and odor are gone), after showering douche with hydogen perioxide mixed with spring water), buy a large container of plain/organic yogurt and use it only for dipping a tampon. for insertion.Make a molasses douche (spring water and molasses and a little organic baking soda) douche. Buy a candida body cleanse if you can afford it.All these things worked for me.
thank you this is interesting.  So is it safe to do a hydrogen peroxide douche and then insert yogurt right afterwards? how often do you use this treatment?? is it ok to leave the yogurt in overnight?
do you still get recurrences?
Hi, have you tried the method u mentioned already ? How is it ?

I understand that you hear of the body cleansing itself however, you know your own body. I am 42 yrs old and never ALLOW my vagina to have an odor. There is nothing wrong with douching although most do not believe in it. After your period you should douche, after sex you should douche with warm water. It doesn't take much to keep ourselves clean down there and we should definately not have a fishy smell. hope this helps someone:)
.
Please DO NOT diagnose yourself!! Thats what medical professionals do. They have studied for many years and are very familiar with signs/symptoms that are unique or common to STD. A culture test will be the best option for anyone with abnormal smell or discharge. Strong soaps can cause fishy odor, layering with tights under your jeans, thongs, and of course unprotected sex.
Please do not take antibiotics unless it has been prescribed to YOU by a medical professional. Inappropriate use of antibiotics can lead to an imbalance of your naturaly occuring flora (google it if you dont know of this) as well as antibiotic resistant infections aka superinfections. I hope everyone gets better! And remember if you think sometings wrong....GET MEDICAL ATTENTION!! best of luck
I'm a nurse and have suffered with this problem for 20 years!! Been to a lot of different doctors tried so many things from the Internet, from douching, antibiotics to peroxide, ( the peroxide works pretty good) but I just found what cured me!!!!!!!!!! But let me tell you what i was doing wrong, I was washing too Aggressive, and it made it worst. I would go to work and come home on my lunch break and take another bath because I was so afraid that I would smell! I've been married for 13 years, and my husband has been great about it. But the magic cure is to not use SOAP! But use Dove moisturing bar!!!!! The white bar only!!!!!  I swear y'all I've used a lot of different things ( hundreds) but this works for me, I've seen this on a couple of forums, but  dismissed it because it was too simple. Just buy one bar and try it. Let me know what you think. It has changed my life!!  P.S I went to my doctor at least 20 times about the same thing and they would just give me antibiotics and it would go away and come back later, but with the Dove I'm so confident that I'm fresh always!!!!!!! Soooooooooo happy!!!
I'm 16 I'm still a virgin , never had sex a day in my life. I shower everyday and I notice this funky odor . How do I get for of it ? Any suggestions ?
For the last 3weeks I have been having this thick white funky discharge and its staining  and stinking up my clothes. What could this be from and what should I do
Awesome Awesome and very well put. Thanks :)
Keep it nice and tight.summer eve's are good products to use.have sex and enjoy the feel.to the young lady that grandpa touched.sorry and you dont got to **** everybody for it.when you cover abuse,you abuse yourself more.i have a girlfriend with this problem.it was trich or tric to short.but I can't lie I like a lil smell to  it every so often.i wish you woman the best.the lady that haven't sex in two years,give up.get you some or play it.bye
CHAS::
I am 22 yrs old an I hav a odor down there too that I can not get rid of an I shower 2x a day an I really scrub my private area.I need some answers please bcuz I dont feel comfortable with having sexual intercourse wit my partner bcuz of my odor???
i suggest getting a pap done and having the standard std test. When you were abused the person could have carried some sort of disease and may also suggest checking for hep b and c i just got them done today. It is a simple blood test.
I hav a 7 months baby girl. I had sex with my partner we used protection. Then my period come with the most abd odour and b4 I had a child I never had a heavy flow where by I had to change my pad every 2hrs. Stil after my period the fluid on my vigina (vagina) has a smell and I feel like when am around people can inhale how I smell. I been taking amoxillin but no help
For some odd reason, I've been very stinky down there. The weird part is that I have no discharge. At one point I did have hpv, but that went away. I appreciate any and all recommendations!
I'm 16 years old and only had sex with one guy but now all the time I'm smelling this really bad odor and I just can't seem to make it go away. I'm scared to ask my mom to take me to the droctors because of what she could say. I don't take pressure really well. And I have a lot of anxiety. SOMEONE HELP!!!!! I'm always scared to be sexually active with my boyfriend because I don't know what he would think. I just want this odor to be gone. Someone tell me what I should do and how I should tell me mom.
Hi Caryn, I can relate to you very much! You sound like a very kind person with good advice! My question is, did your doctor ever say that the chlamydia can cause a bad odor?
thanks, Cathy
You might want to go to the doctor to see if you have any type of infection. To help the smell don't wear tight pants and wear cotton underwear. Also try eating yogurt. Yogurt will also help. If the smell is not getting g better. I recommend seeing a doctor about it.
Am also 19 and I have had the same problem . Ive tried lots of options even went to the doctor for it . But I still have no idea. I also take the depo shot as well and get checked everytime but I was molested by my ex and got pregnant by him. But I still do everything normally but still cant seem to figure out this odor? Someone help.
Viewing 201-258 comments: