frequent urination and bloating with no gas

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

I have a constant need to urinate; I can avoid and then 10 minutes later still produce more urine. I also feel bloated, my stomach will round out and the discomfort varies depending on how bad it is. I have seen a urologist, a gyno, and now a gastroenterologist. The urologist did some tests, said my bladder was small but fine. Gave me 4mg of Detrol LA so I wouldn't get up so much during the night. I still get up but now only once or twice. During the day I urinate about 13 to 20 times. The OB did an ultrasound on my ovaries and said I don't have IC and sent me on my way. The gastro did a sigmoid test and labwork and said I'm healthy. Suggested I have IBS. Had me try hydrosamine but that only made bloating worse so I stopped taking it. I am now on 10 mg of Elavil antidepressant. Still no change in my symptoms after a week of this medication. I am playing around with foods in my diet trying to figure out if certain foods are triggers. Any suggestions about what the problem could be? I still think that more of my symptoms indicate IC rather than IBS but the gyno said no. Should I get a second opinion?

This discussion is related to abdominal bloating/frequent urination.
Tags: IBS
I had the same problem ....my OBGYN said it was a UTI and gave me some meds but that made me unable to urinate and feel more full.
You posted on May 2, 2008.  Sure hope you have found the answers you need by now.  I agree with you about symptoms indicating IC.  I am an IC patient....it has been an ongoing problem for about 6 years now.  Have you ever had a cystoscopy?  That is about the only way you can know for sure if it is IC.  I am taking far too many drugs, i.e. Elmiron, Elavil, Aterax (antihistimine), Prilosec (acid reducer), Oxytrol Patch, (I do like the patch) much better than all the other drugs for OAB.  Do you experience a lot of pain?  (I do - severe)  I take Tramadol, but it takes about an hour for it to take effect.  In the meantime, I use a heating pad from the IC Network - then finally, I may have to soak in very warm water for about 20 minutes.  The food thing is very important - coffee, tea, chocolate, spicy foods, citrus, tomatoes, nuts, and the list goes on.  The good news is really answered prayer.  I have a dear friend who set me up with her chiropractor who tests for food demons, They did an acugraph, and median points test on the feet plus applied muscle testing.and a back x-ray.  All of this will tell why my body is not functioning properly and they in turn can do the necessary adjustments to bring everything in balance.  Now, there are some not-so-good chiropractors and some who are really good.  I was very impressed with my first appointment. I wish I could tell you more, but I have my 2nd appointment on Tuesday, Sept 2, 2008,  I am actually more hopeful than I have been with any of my medical treatments.  So I say YES - get a second and third opinion.  Ask for a cystoscopy.....  

by   ladybug44