funky smell and lots of discharge constantly

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

hi i am concerned that something is very wrong with my vagina. first off, i have a smell down there, awful, kindy fishy mixed with onion. also alot of discharge, constantly. the color is somewhat whitish grey. after i use the bathroom you cold still smell it when you go back in. my boyfriend says i taste kind of sour like buttermilk(sorry for details). i had been to the gyno and was told it was bacterial vaginosis and was prescribed antbiotics, oral and vaginal...it seemed to help for a bit but then shortly it started over again, i had repeated the vaginal antibiotics twice and like i said it seemed to help shortly. i also have been having breakouts around my vagina, they hurt and they seem like their bubbles filled with puss, i get them every now and then, i been to th gyno and had tests done several times, but was negative, they said if it was herpes that i had to get tested when i get the breakouts, but i never seemed to get there in time...i also experience pain with sex, not that m boyfriend is very big or anything...i have been experiencing pain for a while now, maybe 2 years....i am very worried and tired at the same time....my sex life is awful..cannot enjoy myself without worrying how i smell or taste and if i begin to relax, that is if i also experience pain so i can't enjoy myself..please, any information would help...i am a young female and this is destroying my relationship and sex life
It does sound like a bacterial or yeast infection.  Have you gone back to the gyno since you took the antibiotics?  Antibiotics can cause yeast infections.  Also your partner needs to be treated.  You could be passing it back and forth.  My husband and I did that for a couple of months before we both took Diflucan (a one day pill to clear yeast infections).
I'm so sorry that you are having such a hard time.  BV is very common, and actually it is not uncommon to have recurrent BV.  There are several things that increase the liklihood of having BV...don't know if you do any of these things but here they are:
--using perfumed soap/bubble baths
--douching
--having an IUD
The reason these things can contribute to BV is because anything that changes the acidity inside of the vagina can cause an increase in the amount of bacteria that normally exists there.
Also, is it possible that your doctor is not being aggressive enough to find a solution for you.  I would definitely consider getting a second opinion.
There is no evidence that BV can be passed from a woman to a man, so I don't think there's a risk that you're passing it back and forth.
Good luck, and I hope someone here can help you.
I did a search of several sites, as well, and found no conclusive evidence that BV is transmitted from men to women. I did, however, find that, like you said, it is transmitted in lesbian relationships.  Yeast is definitely spread from partner to partner, but I guess we just used different sources.  Thanks for the reply!  

I just did a study on bv and yeast infections.  While it is more common for yeast infections to be passed back and forth, BV does as well.  It is more commonly transferred in lesbian relationships then from women to man but it does happen.  Typically they won't treat the partner for a first time occurrance of BV but if it comes back, they will.  I hope you don't think I am arguing with you on this or trying to be a know it all.  Just thought I would share my info.

Heather
I had BV about a year ago. And my husband and i passed it back and forth for about 3 months. Your partner should really be tested. Or you will never get rid of it. I got mine from taking baking soda baths and douching with baking soda water. See I have alot of discharge and a oder problem and I thought these would help. The way my doctor discribed it was everybody has bad acids in their body and good acids. When I used the baking soda so much my bad acids took over and thats how I got the BV. Once my husband was tested and treated aswell I finally got rid of it. I still have alot of discharge, to the point where i go through alot of panty liners, but i doesn't always have an oder. I have also found flushing yourself out while you are in the bathtub helps and vingar and water douche works wonders. Just don't douche alot because it can cause other problems. I hope that this helps.
yea i'm 19 and i haven't had sexual intercourse yet. i have a lot of discharge often with a really bad odor...i don't have any other problems just a lot of discharge and an odor... i don't think i need to go to the doctor's for it....but i was wondering if anyone knew of someway of preventing it without medication, perhaps by diet like certain foods, i've heard the live yoghurt is good for yeast infections and thrust, but i was wondering if there was anything else to prevent odors?
nervice....ive been with my bf for over 3 yrs...and ive noticed that i have a spot ..discolor(brown i guess) on the inside oF my (v)..
at first i thought it was a birth mark bc i dont have one ..it doesnt hurt or bother me at all..and i keep checking to see if it gets bigger and im so nervice that somedays i think it is but most of the time its the same size...
second...i find that lately when i have sex...i have a strong smell...and its freeking me out...do u think i have some kind of a disease...:(..or am i just freeking outttT
hi, i have a bad odor discharge. my (v) doesn't hurt or itch but it just has an unusual discharge and has a weird smell. i don't know if its fish odor or something. I hate this. :( i did some research and i thot it was BV so i ordered some Enzara but doesn't seem to work. i don't know.. i would like to get some advice..
my vagina has like an itch sometimes to it. I have been using Monastat3 but befor i used it. i had a smell down there with lots of discharge can a yeast infection cause a smell.
Hi,  im 17 and for a long time i have had discharge. ever since i was in the 6th grade i started having discharge although it didn't smell and it wasn't a big problem (also the year i started my period). over the years though it has only gotten worse and now it feels like im on my period all the time even though im not, its just the heavy discharge. also, i have to wear a tampon all the time so that it wont completely soak my underwear and also so i wont smell like this tangy discharge smell that it has. its not a fishy odor and theres no itching at all. my discharge is usually clear or white and is very slimy and sometimes it leaves a yellowish color residue in my underwear. i havehad sex . one time i thought i might of had a tampon stuck in there so i felt around and didn't feel anything but when i pulled my fingers out there was this chunky white disharge all over my fingers like there was residue or something on my vaginal walls. and sometimes i get like lower left abdominal pains.
please give my feed back about this. IM REALLY SCARED
Hi, I am 21 now and i never had BV before until about 2  years ago at first i thought that my boyfriend of 6 years gave me an std ..it started out just like a normal discharge for a whole year no bloating, no fevers,no fishy smells until after the year was up me and my boyfriend had sex and it was a really FUNKY smell which scared me because i wasnt used to tht immediatley i went to the doctor about 2 days later jus to see if the smell would go away ,it didnt and it made me feel really uncomfortable i got a pap smear and sure enough the doctor said well u have BV (THT WAS MY FIRST DOCTOR WHICH IS A WOMAN) so she treated me but not my boyfriend and as soon as i would get cured we would have sex and sure enough it was back well i kept getting the infection so i went to another doctor a man this time ..And my boyfriend was with me well this doctor told me well both of u guys need to be treated and do not have sex until u a FULLY cured well we did that oh the medicine was (METRONIDAZOLE i hope i spelled it right) Well its been a year and i havent had the infection since ..Yes ur partner does need to be treated with no sex while taking the meds unless u use a CONDOM..Thanks i hope my information was helpful..: )
please help! I am 20 years old and ever since i was 18 I have been having this fishy like odor and tons of discharge. ive tried yeast infection creams, ive tried sit down baths, etc and nothing WORKS!!! its so embarrasing because my odor is VERY strong I cry to my boyfriend about this. im very depressed and he's a very understanding person. i know its bacteria vaginosis but nothing works. i feel like ive been cursed.
If you suffer from BV try to take showers rather than baths. Wash your vagina with warm water and a non perfume no dye soap or just plain warm water and nothing else. I just posted another comment about BV. There are some natural remedies you want to look up 1) boric acid inserted in the vagina (I have a lot women get relief from it) 2) water and hydrogen proxide vaginal wash for 7days. Look it up and do your research to decide if it's something you might want to try. I am going to try number 2 that is my personal preference and hopefully I will get positive results. Good luck and remember there are millions of women going thru the same thing as you including myself :)
I know what "all" of you mean. Every thing you all have, I have. Foul odor, discharge in a variety of colors, painful, red soars on my vaginal area that feel like their filled with puss. And I'm only 14. I first noticed it when I was in 6th grade and here I am going into 9th and still having this problem. For a while I thought it was an HIV/STD, but I didn't want to get tested because of what I might found out. I've tried everything thats not medical related like when washing my vigina (vagina) I used Eve to help prevent odor, but it didn't help. I haven't really done anything to catch and HIV/STD so then I started thinking "What if it's HPV?" But I don't know, but what I do know is I don't want to be a virgin forever but with whatever I have, it looks like thats the way I'm going to remain.
txgal06--have you gone to your doctor? it didn't say that you had in your post.... doctors will prescribe antibiotics or a vaginal cream/insert if you have BV, which it sounds like you do.
Omg sense I was little I have always have pre infections I don't have herpes or job or other deseas I have two kids n I feel my stomach just a little blowded n I throw a lot of white discharge that smell like food ingridients well like onion everytime I walk I'm wet go to the restroom my underwear its full of it I'm with the same partner and to be honest I don't think is normal at all what can it be
Well now that I remember kids at school would called me fish cause my odor was bad but the doctors just said it was a pee infection I would shower three times n I'm talking about I'm still a virgin back them so when I got to the age of 15 I shave n it didn't smell like that now it smells like food ingridients but we need more answers pls n don't feel bad just wear the thin pads tha have smell like powder sumtimes pee comes out for anything
CAN ANY BODY HELP ME MY DISCHARGE SMELLS LIKE FISH OR HOW DO I SAY DEAD DOG?IT FREAKS ME OUT I HAVE TO WASH ME 3TIMES A DAY COZ I WANNA GET RID OF THIS SMELL:( MY DISCHARGE IS SO MUCH I HAVE TO WEAR PANTYLINERS EVERYDAY IM 18 AND GOT DIS A MONTH AGO I WANNA GET RID OF THIS SMELL ASAP...NEVA WENT TO A DOCTER OR USED ANYTHING PLAESE I NEED HELP IT REALY SITS ME DOWN AND DA SMELL IS SO STRONG SUMTIMES I CAN SMELL MYSELF...
Have you started shaving down there yet? I started to shave at the ending of seventh grade and I got red bumps that looked like they had puss in them. I also started to get a odor nd lots of discharge in 6th grade.
sweetie it sounds very much like you may have chlamydia, do not panic , you must see your Doctor and your partner as well and this can be fixed quickly with an Antibiotic especially  for Chlamydia. and then all is good , but if left untreated can lead to much bigger problems , do not feel bad  as this is a very common sexually transmitted Mild std , .
I have a bad odor that i recently got after having a bartolins gland syst (sp?) It happens if i wear my jeans more than a day or so. I have a heavy discharge with no foul odor doesnt really smell at all but thats what I dont get?! Any help? I have an Iud but ive had it almost 3 years why would that start this chain of annoying smell...I just bought a fem. deodorant to mask the smell and its working with the smell...No one has commented on the smell of my area or anything so I just need to know whats causing the musky funk?
I have a very nasty smell  that occurs when i wear my jeans for more than say a day or two. My discharge is white not thick or foul smelling it doesnt really smell at all..
This all started after a long battle with a bartholin gland cyst (SP?) after it finally burst ive had issues with alot of discharge my boyfriend hasnt noticed the smell but I do. Its not an std as I had a check less that 6 months ago
Hi my name is Jasmine I have a discharge with a very bad odor. I went to the health department thinking my bf gave me a std but the doctor said I didn't have one I made her check again to be sure she said I have a high ph.... but idk how to make this smell go away... when I dush it goes away for about a day then it comes right back. Now my urine has a strong smell. Does anyone know the cause of this?
I have had a dog lick me out before and now I have red lumps in my pubic hair and discharge of a see through goey stuff. I have never had sex.. I'm only 25.. What do I do ??
I'm 25 & a virgin I've had clear vaginal discharge and odor since I was around 12.I was always to scared to go to the gyno afraid they were going to tell me I had cancer.I have to wear panty liners everyday bc it's so thick..What could this be? any help would be greatly appreciated.
well, i have had that same problem. i have not bin tested but im pretty sure its nothing serious. but one thing, DO NOT WEAR A TAMPON  when you are not on your period. that is how you get TSS (toxic shock syndrome)
wich symptoms include lower abdominal pain as to others. i would see your doc right away because TSS can be fattel!!!
Im 20 and i have had this smell down there & discharge since i was 15 like a yr ago i got a patsmar down n my uterus is tilted backwards and im not draining like normal women should. Maybe you guys need to get checked to see if thats whats wrong, but i was told not to douch or take bubble baths or use smelly soap (soap that smells lol) i stoped doing all of that and im still having the same trouble ibe been in and out of the hopsitals n drs offices. Im sick of going they give me medicine but like a month after it comes back : ( i have pain during intercourse and i have to tell my bf to stop after a while and i feel awful when i do and after my stomach hurts n it hurts to pee. Please help someone idk what else to do n im tried of buying meds for down there that dont work!
i really want a answer to im scared and my relationship is falling apart cause i wont let my partner touch me cause of the dicharge and odor( not fishy tho) someone please help me im really scared and dont kno what to do
Hey Ladies,
I am on this site reading about your problem here is what you need to do  go to (Swanson Vitamin) online and order (Yogurt Powder) it is in a pill form take it once in the morning once in the evening no later then 5pm or so, once you begin to take this you will be able to tell a difference with your vaginal odor in 24 hours, if that does not take care of all the problem for those that can handle it get you some plain yogurt, all it take is a table spoon eat it with a cracker or something so it can be used to colt your stomach when you take the yogurt vitamin, you must take the vitamin with food or something anyway also with that plain yogurt to help you get rid of the vaginal smell when you get a shower before bed or before you or after you have sex take that plain yogurt put some in your hand and stuff it up your vaginal area, ladies this will work and your problem with that vaginal odor will be gone. God Bless
sometimes women think that something is wrong with them because of their bodily functions, but in reality it is normal. alot of women body functions is different from the next..what u may b experiencing someone else is experiencing as well but in a different way...trust me when i experienced the same problem: discharge, itching but no foul smell and every time i went to the doc they told me it was normal so i requested to see a different doctor everytime and each doctor said the same thing... my boyfriend never said i tasted sour or anything he actually said i taste good ....all u guys comments are excellent but each women have a different persona... so dont put your self down for it just say to yourself; THIS IS NORMAL, THIS IS ME, IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT, THAN LET ME BE....discuss this issue with your spouse so he wont feel left out and i guarantee you your relationship will be better...mines is...10years and counting ..itgets better and better
I am 16 years old. I have never had sex but i have this terrible problem. I have this strong odor and this chunky white discharge and it wont seem to go away. I've tried just soap at the beginning cause i thought i just needed to take a shower but it didn't go away, i tried vagisil for odor didn't go away. I've tried yeast infection wipes and its still here. I cant get rid of it and soon i am going to switch to a female doctor and go see her cause its embarrassing and preventing me from doing anything with guys. Please help with any answers i want it to go away asap ! .  
why would you have a dog lick you. That is very nasty and very disturbing just get a man..
I am in the same position I am 32 and have had this for years it's horrible sometimes I can smell myself I always have to wear a panty liner and change it 2-3 times, all my smear and tests have always come back normal I have tried all kinds of tablets , I have heard apples and drinking plenty of water helps I don't drink enough going to try it , hope this helps you
i have the same thing pretty much i don't know what it is i have only ever had sex twice and this has been going on way befor that. people say for me to try yogert but idk if it will work
have had severe bv for a few years my gynecologist said he didnt know why this reoccurs. I had greyish white discharge. smelly odor. embarrassing!!! i had alot of sharp pain. and vaginal dryness!! i now know why. vaginal ph. that is so important. my md said to try a bakinh soda douche. and it works!!!! just dont use too much. it gave me gas!!! adjust your vaginal ph. and all these symptoms go away!! but. you have to repeat as u need to!!
Hi i also had bv before and went to the doctor and they gave me antibiotics and it came back again and i got treated a second time but i still have a yellowish like puss smelling discharge coming out of me. I soak in the tub and use antibacterial soap called safe guard and it helps a bit and i make sure i dry of real good and wear cotton panties and a panties liner with a sprinkle of vagisil powder. I also use gain detergent to try to get rid of this pus smell and let me tell u that i have battle with this for 2years know and and just know starting to die down. At first it was driving me crazy to keep having to ask someone do they smell me but u know how people can b cruel when they find out your flaws. I started to break out really bad to so i think its some type of way it can spread idk and apparently my doctor dont either cuz theyre not helping so i had to do things on my on and that can b stressful when u dont know what is causing the smell i mean it just came from nowhere and i also believe u and your,partner have to b treated for bv or yeast cuz it can b pass back and forth. Oh yeah btw it also made my relationship a living hell especially when your boyfriend thinks u stinks so yeah its ***** cuz u cant just tell the person what going on cuz they will laugh behind your back trust me......im not close to alot of my fam cuz of this so my advice to yall is to do your reshearh and find ways to cure yourself cuz doc aint gone help you and please dont askor tell people around u your problems and stay positive you will get rid of the scent eventually........ best wishes
Hi my name is Jannie and I'm 20 years old. For like a month I have been feeling a strange pain in my abdominal area, like someone is squeezing my ovaries and have been passing out brownish discharge with a fishy smell. My breast has also swollen and it is very painful. Because of the pain i'm constantly sweating and I also urinate frequently. I haven't been to a doctor or told anyone about it because I am afraid. Can someone please help me?
I had a bad smelly vagaina discharge it always go an come whenever I took antibiotics couple weeks or months later it's back again And I also have pain during sex one side of my ovaries hurt really bad I really don't Knw what's wrong with me I think I need further check ups cause these docs ain't doing ntn for me but keep giving Anyibotics
I think I am going through this. I hope you see this and please reply to me if you do. Me and my boyfriend have been in a monogamous relationship for three years now. After almost the first year in the relationship (started having sexual intercourse after 3 months in) I started frequently getting UTI's and yeast infections- neither of which I had ever had to deal with before, and I was 21 at this time (24 now). I had been going to the same GYN since I was 14 (my mom was an RN so of course she wanted me to start going at the earliest age possible) and I had ALWAYS been perfectly fine down there all those years. Two of the UTI's were chronic and I was literally peeing blood both times and it was an excruciating pain when this happened. My GYN said both times they were just really bad UTI's that had spread to my kidneys* I believe, and that's why I was peeing blood. Up until 24 years old now, with the same partner- I KEEP having to deal with constantly getting UTI's and yeast infections- more than normal. And over time they become closer in time in occurrance. NOW in the past 3/ almost 4 months I have CONSTANTLY had white, chunky discharge that doesn't smell terrible but definitely not normal...and sex is not excruciating when he goes all the way in but not enjoyable (and he is NOT above average, just average- size has never been an issue so that's not the issue now- nothing has changed) So finally I was just so sick and tired of it around Thanksgiving that I told him I wasn't having sex until this was figured out. I took two doses of Diflucan and then my urologists even gave me the two shots you get in your rear end (forget what they are called) and within the next two days I felt COMPLETELY normal. No more tightness or discomfort in my lower abdomen, my discharge was FINALLY clear again, not white and chunky, and no odor or sour taste. We had sex for that first time in a while when I finally felt normal again and it was great- no pain, no discomfort during sex, I was WET like I normally had always been...it was such a relief...I was so happy and relieved...

Now we have had sex again two more days after that day, having it each day...and what do you know- I can progressively feel and see it coming back. My discharge is trying to get white a chunky again and I can tell the sour taste is coming back. I just want to cry. I can tell today (the third day having sex again) that it's ALSO starting to become discomforting AGAIN. Are we just passing this back and forth now because he hasn't been treated? I really can't live like this- I know that might sound kind of selfish and dramatic because people have so much worse conditions/lives/etc. but it's so frustrating when nothing was ever wrong before. When is it going to end?

This is ABSOLUTELY a GYN problem. If that was even a thought that it may not be. I have had both an upper and lower endoscopy, as well as a cat scan and all came back perfectly fine.

I hope you or someone can help me and give me some guidance.

It's Friday today...I just moved to a different city about two weeks ago so was thinking it might be a good idea to just go to a different gyno here instead of who I have been since I was 14