lump on my throat and weight loss

A community for people with Women's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: medical conditions, general health, and management.

lump on my throat and weight loss

what are the possible causes for a lump coming up on my throat i am 21 and i smoke
Without knowing the exact area of the lump on your throat, it is hard to say. If you are talking about a visable lump on the outside of the throat, you may have an enlarged thyroid (goitre) and this would explain the weight loss. Any lump should be looked at by a physician to rule out a number of things. If the physician suspects that your thyroid is the cause, then make sure that the full thyroid panel is tested during your blood test i.e. TSH as well as thryroid antibodies. Straight forward over active thyroid is one thing, but you want to rule out an autoimmune problem known as Hashimoto's. You will also want to request that the physician looks at the lump further, to rule out thyroid nodules. This can be done with an ultra sound machine (similar to the machine used to look at a baby in the womb i.e painless). Problems with the thyroid are extremely common and once diagnosed, can be relatively easily managed. 1 in 3 women will be diagnosed with a thyroid disorder in thier lifetime. Don't worry, help is at hand. Lastly, life advice: PLEASE stop smoking and get yearly pap smears.
i have had the blood test waiting for results get them tuesday thanks for the advice
Lynniepooh cd25 Comment
Shannon79, and KTowne commented on Hollus's status
Shannon79, and KTowne commented on Shannon79's status
Menstrual Tracker
Track your cycles
Reach your weight goals