ovulation vs. fertile? i need help!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

ovulation vs. fertile? i need help!!

i am trying to get pregnant, and i have been reading info on fertility and ovulation and i am starting to get confused. an ovulation calendar that i have states that from october 15th-19th that i will be fertile(just fertile, not very fertile)and on october 19th i will be ovulating and most fertile. i've read that you should have sex only on the day that you are ovulating, but the calendar states that i should have sex between the 15th-20th because it increases my chances. is that true? when should i focus on having sex for the best results, and should i buy an ovulation kit instead of going on what this calendar tells me.if so what kind should i use? it seems better to accidentally get pregnant rather than plan because it is mindwrecking!! thanks for your help!!!
WEll,  here is the best way to explain.  There are a few days that you are fertile a couple of says where the folicle is in the open and ready to be fertilized.  That is the difference.  the thing to remember is that sex everyday is not good nor very effective.  reason being is that men have to replenish their supply.  and that takes about 24 hours. SO even though he may ejaculate it will not have a high concentration of sperm in it.  Now if you have intercourse every other day then it build up the reserve and the semen is full of sperm.

Next question the digital ovulation predictor kits are the best. A little costly but well worth it.  The other ones you have to pee on the stick then when the lines are the same color that means you will be ovulating within the next day or so.  The digitial ones make it pretty easy for you and eliminates the margin of error.

I know trying to concieve (conceive) is difficult.  We tried for 4 years before we were finally successful but it was so worth it.  I hope that this helped please let us know how it goes

GGod Bless You

lisa
Go to your library and pick up a copy of "Taking Charge of Your Fetility" by Toni Weschler. She explains in great detail how to look for your ovulation signs.  It's a great book.
Yes, have sex every other day during the entire time you are fertile.  If you just have sex on only your ovulation day that limits your chances.  

Word of caution - using the calendar to predict the exact day of ovulation is not accurate.  Every woman is different and your body pays no attention to the calendar.  

Just relax and have sex every other day for about 14 days after your period ends -- that way you're sure to hit your fertile time.
Wow, so only 33% chance even on your most fertile days??? Hmm, that's interesting. Thanks for the info. God bless!!!
here's the stats from my medical text...

sex 5-4 days prior to ovulating = 5% chance PG

sex 3-2 days prior to ovulating = 33% chance PG

sex 1 day prior and day of ovulating = 5% chance of PG

sex after ovulating = 0 chance of PG

i reccommend ovulation predictor kits...not every woamn ovulates 14 days before her period. some early, some late, some right in the middle. start around cycle day 7 and take one everyday till it is positive and this will be your most fertile time, aproximately 2 days prior to ovulation. have sex at least once a day...but right in a row you just push the good stuff out. i hope this helps....i have been doing this and have gotten PG...and might be PG now...testing in 3 days.

love and baby dust....kimmie
yeah....the highest for even the healthiest woman is only 33%...and that is just the rates of conception. for implantation they are...

early 20s....20-25% chance of implantation in any given mo...4-5 mos on ave to implant....93-97% will be PG w/in a yr.

late 20's....15-20% chance of implantation in any given mo...5-6.7 mos on ave to implant....86-93% will be PG in a yr.

early 30's....10-15% chance of implantation in any given mo...6.7-10 mos to implant....72-86% will be PG in a yr.

late 30's....8.3-10% chance of implantation in any given mo...10-12 mos....65-72% will be PG in a yr.

anybody who thinks it is easy to get PG is crazy....with stats like that i am suprised we get PG at all.

love, hugs, and baby dust
I am trying to get pregnant. I used both the calendar and the ovulation predictor kit last month. The calendar showed that I was supposed to start ovulation on the 14th day, but I had no LH surges at that time. I started having intercourse when the calendar told me which was days before that. My LH surge came 2 days after the 14th day and disappeared like the next day. This meant that I was supposed to have been ovulating within 12-36 hours after I saw the surge. By the time I had my surge, I think my husband was depleted. As a result, I did not get preg (or so I thought - since I was 4 days late- all neg tests). This time I am only going by the ovualtion predictor..I bought 2 kinds, 1 is urine based and the other is saliva based. I also bought a BBT thermameter which I check everyday. It's not as easy as I thought. I am 31 and very excited to get pregnant. I just wish it wasn't this complicated and involved. I wonder how women got pregnant in the old days? Good Luck to everyone!!