prescribed Provera while trying to get pregnant

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

I had a miscarriage in Sept05 and my periods have progressivly got longer and heavier. Ive been prescribed medroxyprogesterone acetate (provera) to regulate my periods,on days 15 to 25 of my cycle. Was told it would not interfer with my fertility but all info ive seen clearly states do not use if pregnant. I could get pregnant then take the provera as i wont know im pregnant til i miss my next period. Very anxious about any damage i could be doing, any one been in a similar situation??
If you have been trying to get pregnant but you are having isues getting there I dont think you need to worry about hurting a possible pregnancy with all that is goin on with you. Chances are you are not pregnant at this time. I was put on the same thing I think I took it for like ten days.  It was supposed to make you start a period with the hopes that it will then stay on track like it is supposed to,  Good luck!
I was on provera in Dec 05 and Jan 06 and I now am 9 weeks pregnant.  Provera used to be given as a pregnancy test.  If you took it and had a period then you were not pregnant and if you took it and didnt have a period then you were pregnant.  Provera or the generic that you are talking of is pretty much progesterone and it will help your uterus.  Dont worry it wont harm a pregnancy.  Best of luck!
Thanks to the above, i feel more reassured now.
I was put on provera for 10 days to see if I would start my period because I havent had it for a few months and I finished those 10 days and stilll didnt have it...do you think its a great possiblity that I can be pregnant? (I HOPE)
Well, I was put on provera for 10 days. You should get your period within 10 days after taking the medicine.  On day 11 of no period I called my doctor.  He told me to take a pregnancy test and it was POSITIVE.  Good luck!!!
I see you took medroxyprogesterone while being preg, I did that too... I am worried about taking this while pregnant, what did your doctor say about that? How far were you when you took it?  My doctor says it's fine but because of the warnings on the bottle I am beyond worried!!!
Hi Girls, please I need help! I took provera for 5 days as prescribed by my gyn. (I did a home pregnancy test and got negative on the 35th day of my cycle as my doctor told me to do). So I started provera from 11/10 to 11/14. I have been on provera for a couple of months and always got my period on the 3rd day after my last pill. Last period I took clomid but I assume I did not ovulate because the fertility monitor never reached the peak fertility day. I still had sex on the supposed fertile days because I was not sure. I was waiting to get my period this month to take clomid again, but it did not come. I have PCOS. I did another pregnancy on 11/23 test because I was worried and it came ot positive. Can I really be pregnant after taking provera? I am calling my gyn tomorrow but wanted to know your thoughts! I am concern with the warnings on the bottle too. Thanks!
I was given provera twice to bring on my period even though I kept telling my doctor I was sure I was pregnant. I had already had 4 children. But of course my doctor thought he knew better than me if I was pregnant. I was in fact pregnant. At the time I was told of possible heart defects or in the event my baby was a girl, she could have genitalia resembling a small penis that would have to be surgically corrected. When my baby was born she looked fine. But she wasn't. She was very masuline in nature and during her teen years her clitoris grew into a small penis. Any Doctor who tells you it is safe to take while already pregnant is a liar and trying to cover himself from a lawsuit. It is not safe and does damage some fetuses. Provera has damaged my child's life and the effects will be there forever. Once she became an adult and after years of torture and taunting from ignorant people treating her like a freak, she now lives as a male.
Hi, Ladies

I  found out that I have pcos when I was 18yrs old. Now I'm 29yrs old and I had two miscarriages, and it been a rollercoaster ride for me and my husband. I refuse to go to the fertility dr again. I went to my gyn dr and now I'm on provera to regulate my period. I wonder if I will get pregnant from taken the provera. I have to take the provera for two months  until my period get regulated. I wonder during that tme if I will conceive I have to have faith. I think that you ladies also should have faith. I know it is a long journay, but we can do it.  
My doc rx provera because I had been having a period for approx 1 mth. I took the pills for 5 days and last night was the last day taking the pill. Based on info I have read via the internet I should expect my cycle within the next 3-14 days. I was wondering if i would be able to get pregnant or would i need to be rx another medication.
Hi ladies i was on provera for 10 days and have symptoms of vomitin i don't know if i a m pregnant i took pregnancy test last night i was worry if i am pregnnt or not. i will call my doc tommorrow morning
HI! I was taking provera for 10 days. Well it has been 7 days sense the last bill and no period. So I took a test tonight and it said positive. I have read that this will cause miscarriage or other birth problems?? Is this true I am so so scared. I took a pregnancy test the day I started provera and it was negative. Could I really have gotten pregnant while on provera??? Help PLEASE
today is my second day using provera and am having pain just below my naval.am i pregnant or am not.can you please help me
My doctor put me on provera for 10 days.  Is this medication likely to cause pregnacy.  I thought it would since it makes you ovulate!!!
I've finished taking my pill my last 'pill' period was 8th March 2010 but nothing since i've done pregnancy tests and are negative so now i'm just waiting!! I've just been reading about Provera and wondering if i should try them now so i can ovulate and try again??? Help please?????
I am 20 years old and have not had a period in over 5 years my docs put me on Provera for the next year but i have pcos and im hoping to get pregnant provera worked the first time i took it i started 4 days after i was done with the 10th pill i just need to know can it really happen can i get pregnant with pcos or am i wasting my time
hi
my doctor prescribed my provera ( 2 tablets a day for 5 days) to help kick start my periods in order for me to take clomid as i havent had a period since january.
after finishing the course of provera on 28 april i was told my period would come 1-2 days after. it hasnt come and i have been experiencing stomach cramps and nausea and tiredness. i went to my gp on 6 may who didnt really know what to do and she said she would get in contact with my consultant at the hospital. she said it may be worth doing a pregnancy test but she doubts very much it will be positive.
well i went home and did the test and it was positive!!!
called her back and she was shocked and advised me to do another test in another couple of days.
i did 2 more tests and both were negative!!!
i'm really confused now and not sure if was really pregnant in the 1st place.
Can provera give you a false positive result?
i have spoken to my doc again today and i have to go and have blood tests done up at the hospital later today to check my hcg level.
i havent any bleeing at all so dont think i have had a miscarriage
Has anyone else had a similar experience whilst on provera?
provera does cause pregnancy. i lost 4 babies within 2 years then i couldnt get pregnant at all for 2 more years, my doctor put me on provera because of problems with my period and all of a sudden i was pregnant i had my 1st baby. it causes you to ovulate but it can also help your body hold on to the prenancy or atleast thats what i was told by my doctor.
IM ON PROVERA FOR 10 DAYS IM OVER WEIGHT AND HAVENT HAD A PERIOD FOR 9 YRS DO YOU THINK IT WILL WORK ME AND MY HUSBAND ARE TRYING TO REGULATE MY PERIOD TO  HAVE A CHILD WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK
I started my period a month after i turned 13 and haven't had many since, maybe 30. I am now 28 and am trying to start a family. My doctor did a sonagram and found i have pcos, my left ovary is fine but my right ovary is very much enlarged. i took pill 10 of my provera today, 08/28/10. I have also been keeping a Basil Body Temperature chart, and according to the chart i ovulated 3 days after starting provera. I've wondered if there were any side effects to worry about if i should get pregnant while taking provera. i have searched the internet looking for any info i can find. But still always end up confused yet hopeful.  my dr. has me starting clomid on days 3 thru 7 of my peroid. im so excited and can't wait.  im also supposed to have a procedure during my period called hystosalpingogram, where they check my fallopian tubes to make sure they are open and free from obstructions.  No period yet, but will keep posting.
Good luck to everyone!
hi all i'm on proevra as well ive bn onit since june..my promblem is i dnt know when i ovulate...from june my periods has been comin every 28 days. i ave 2 take pro evra from day 19 til day 26..does ne1 no when id ovulate...plz help...
if your gyn prescribed you provera 10mg and you still havent started your period you need to go back to your gyn asap cause it can mean that you r pregnant or somethin is seriously wrong
i have been put on provera ten pills last month ten pills this month NO PERIOD i wonder why it is not working on me???
I was just given a 10 day dose to start tomorrow for my absent period :( I am trying to get pregnant too, so it's nice to read these stories and know that I am not alone. Fertility Friend. com is an awesome website that you can use. It teaches you a lot about your body and how it's supposed to work. If you chart your temps you can also see when you ovulate. Hope this helps anyone that needs it :)
My husband and I have been trying for our 2nd child since Sept.2010. I did'nt have a period in Oct. i started bleeding on nov 10th quit on nov 13th and nothing in Dec. My normal cycle is usually the 24th of every month.I am always on time for my period. I have taken about 30 pregnancy test and all are neg.I went to my obgyn the end of Dec and he put me on Provera 5mg 1 pill at day for 5 days,I took my last pill 4 days ago and I still have'nt had a period.Could I be pregnant? I think I will go buy a test today.
I am in the same position as you. I came off BC May'10. I had a period in May, June and July no period August. Then September and October I had a period. My LMP was October 19th. I went to my gp and she prescribed me Provera. 1 pill for 5 days. I finished my last pill Jan 01, 2011. I have some spotting but no period yet. I am going to wait a few more days and if I dont start I will buy a test. Let me know how you make out.
hi
my gyn found apolyp in my ovary and decided to take it out on august 30 bcoz it causes me  prolong menstruation for two years which makes me impossible to get pregnant, i haven't got my period sept. and on oct. i only got few spot which lasted only for 2 days ( my husband is abroad so it's impossible for me to get preg. girls) then on nov.15 my o.b. put me on provera for 10 days i finished my last pill on the 24th of nov. my period came on the 28th which lasted till dec 7 it was heavy...my husband came home on the 12th of december we made loved everyday till jan. 1 the day he's off to abroad again up to now january 18 my period hasn't came i already took 2 hpt and it came back BFN...i'll have an appointment with my o.b. on jan. 30... is it possible that i am preg. :-(
i have been on provera for 2 months now..tha first month i took provera i started my period the day after i finished my pills....this month is a lil different...i finished my pills 4 days ago and no period yet..does this mean i could be pregnant...
I was put on provera for days 12 to 21 of my cyclenso as to regulate it because the cycle length would be about 34 to 38 days. I use an app on my iPad so I can know my possible fertile days and this month the first I'm taking the provera on the day it said I should be ovulating I noticed slight brown blood and I experienced some cramps. I was elated cause I thought it could be implantation bleeding but it has gotten heavier and is sometimes pinker in color thoughbi have yet to see actual blood. Has this happened before? I didn't even get to finish my pills and I still have like 13 days left of my cycle. Also I have no breast pain which I always do with my periods. The only time I haven't had breast pain wi a menstrual was the month before I found out I was pregnant, but I miscarried. Please help in anyway you can thank you
Did get a miscarriadge becos you use proverta or what was the cause.please let me know. Thanks
i took 2 rounds of five days on provera ,, the 1st time i took it was n january and it took 13 days 4 me to start a period, this month i took it last week and 3 days after i finished it i started my period, and i wanna get pregnant, so i hope this helps, if not the dr is gonna start me on clomid next month, so please friends pray 4 me!!!!
I have been on provera for 2 months and this is my 3rd...i was suppose to take 10 pills for the 3 months and this month im on my 8th pill today i always had signs of getting my period before like cramps and now nothing! if i dont get my period does this mean i could be pregnant? or even a good chance?   I have always had problems with my period since i first got it except when i was on this pill to try to regulate it but this time was different without any signs.
I had my last period on May 16th and had my tubal reversal done on May 27th.
I was suppose to start on June 13th and haven’t had a period and I am suppose to ovulate this weekend. I had a blood test and I am not pregnant. I know the surgery knocked me off my cycle. I have had symptoms feeling like I am going to have a period since the 13th.
I started taking provera last night to help me start my period.
My question is: Can I still ovulate without having my period and being on Provera?
Thank you,
Christine

hello everybody..first,i was bleed for very heavy and its very painful just like i was in labor for a baby..then my hubby bring me to hopstal..they request me laboratories specially Transvaginal Ultrasound..when the result came, my OB told me that i will be undergone OPERA RASPA immediately..i was confined for 3 days.they get some spicemen from my ovary to have some BIOPSY test...after the result read my OB, she prescribed me PROVERA  10 tablets to take it for 10 days..then she advised me to get back after finish taking it and if i already had a period...thats it! i dont know about provera,thats why i search it here to have knowledge on it..but i dont really understand why and for what is provera,what is the reason why i take these. pls help me understand..thank you and more power to all women..God Bless
I was put on provera today to start my period to start birth control. I really want to get pregnant sooo.... instead of starting the birth control should i just do the provera and have sex all 5 days and try to conceive then take a pregnancy test.
then if i get a negative just start the birth control.
Because my doctor wants my uterus lining to be thinned out, which is the point for the birth control. but i want to to get pregnant asap.
I took Provera Oct 4th got my period on Oct. 19th. Period ended october 24th.  Cramping started november 5th-9th then stopped. I haven't had a period yet...still waiting in the wind...oh wait yeah there was what I call the stomach flu of my life for three days. low grade fever 99.5 and ended today. so maybe I am pregnant..any help? I set up a Doctor's appt for next week.
I've been bleeding for the last 8 months straight. I started taking Provera yesterday which I'm on 10 10mg pills for 10 days. I pray that I can become pregnant. It would really be a great gift for my husband!
Can you start your menstral in the middle of a provera prescription? I was prescribed 10 10mg pills for ten days to stop this constant flow I've had for the last 5 months due to the depo shot. I've been on the provera for 6 days. The bleeding got really light to where I could go with out tampons or pads for two days straight. But now I have sore breast,cramps,bloated,& the earge to poop. Can this be a normal period coming on? Should I continue the pills?
doctor prescribed me to take provera 10 mg because i havent had a period ever since i took off my b/c which is the Nuvaring. i havent had a period since june 29. i am trying to get pregnant but i have no idea if provera would help me ovulate and get pregnant or just wait till i get a period and try to conceive. plz! plz! plz! help!!!
i missed my period almost 3wiks and i go to ob and gave me provera i start took provera yesterday i hve 5 pills i have 2nd thought if i take it all coz i think im pregnant,pls help me if i take all of those pills and im pregnant is there any posevitity to harm my baby?
this exact thing happened to me and i am worried.. did yours turn out good? i am 11 weeks along and the ultrasounds show some abnormal findings..
I stopped my bc in feb 13 but haven't had a period since dec 12. I was always normal. Then I finally got pregnant and miscarried 4/13, now my family dr/ obgyn also placed me on provera and I'm very scared to take it hpt was nevative but I'm still scared. We are very actively trying to get pregnant..please help!!
I was just put on Provera to help bring on my period. I have ALWAYS had irregular periods, and my husband and I have been trying to conceive for over a year. We just saw a fertility specialist and he is putting me on provera to bring on my period, and then I will have to get bloodwork/ultrasound done once I start my period
My last period was on 31/7. i thought i am pregnant on 26/8 with the pregnancy test +ve with one faint line. Dr confirmed i am not Pregnant and put me on provera 10mg for 5 days. I started provera on 31/8. On1/9, I tested again, the pregnancy test still positive with one faint line still. Should I stop Provera? Info fr Internet, provera should not be taken during pregnancy. However,  Dr told me if i got pregnant,provera is actually helping me to preserve the baby. Is that true? My period is nv late, it's either on time or earlier. Please help...
+ve means r u pregnant now?
I am going thru the same exact thing I had a faint positive on two tests but now 2 days later they are negative I was prescribed 10 pills in 10 days well I'm on day 12 with still no period. I experienced many pregnancy symptoms but confused whether I could be pregnant or possibly side effects of the pills.
I go in for a blood test today but i'm so nervous of it coming out negative.  I know this is an older post but I am just curious on whether you were pregnant or not? it would really ease my nerves a bit :)

Thanks!
My doctor prescribed me Provera 10mg at the beginning of March. I 've taken them from th 13-26 and my period came on right after. I wanna know how long does it take you to ovulate, and how do you know when you're ovulating?