small bald spot on scalp

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

small bald spot on scalp

I have noticed a small (thumbe size) of baldness, hair missing on my scalp. I was told it could possibly be ring-worm, but I don't see a "red" ring on the empty little spot. Please let me know what you all think a.s.a.p. THANK YOU!
Hi, I got several bald spots on my head when I was taking bc pills, the hormones seemed to cause that on me btu it doesn't on many people.  Also alopecia can happen because of multiple reasons like bad nutrition, thyroid issues, major stress etc.
I got my hair back after I stopped the pills and my dermatologist injected by bald spots with cortizone and it took like 6 months for all of it to grow back getting routine shots on your scalp.  It hasn't happened to me again since stopping the pills. Go to your Dr.
I found out that I had the bald spots when I went to get a haircut and I thought that I had a terminal illness but Alopecia happens to some people, its an immune response to something in your body.  I actually went to two Dr.s and the first said "I need to make several tests on you to see what it is" but the second Dr. was like "whenever you loose hair is alopecia and there's different kinds caused by different things and the best way to treat it is with cortizone shots. However you still need to get the tests to see if there is an underlying cause for this."  So go tot he Dr. and if you are not satisfied with what they tell you, go to a different one.
Have you always had the bald spot? Did you just now notice it?
I just noticed the bald spot about 1 week ago. What could possibly cause this hair loss??
I'm 23 yrs old and I noticed 5 bald spots on my head. I am really scared that something might be wrong with me?? What can I do since I don't have medical insurance?
HI I'm 33yrs.I went to get my hair colored yesturday and found out I had a small bold spot behind my head. Is this uncommon? It is serious??
Since you don't have any medical insurance try looking at different hair care treatment products. My sister used Dr. Michael Clay's hair products, and it worked. Or try Dr. Miracle. I would suggest going to a beauty supply store and looking for items such as those.
Hi I am a 36 year old woman, and over the last 5 years I have been loosing my hair in clumps.  It did grow back so I didn't worry to much.  Until last week, I was styling my hair and found that it just would not sit properly. I found a bald spot down the middle of my scalp.  I had noticed that my hair was thinning, but not to this extent.  Before finding this I never really worried as I had frequent blood tests and full blood counts.  Please reply to this question.  Why would I have a bald spot? I have not changed any shampoos or anything like that, nothing has changed in my diet, I do straighten my hair with a hot iron with no extreme. Please respond.
I am 20 years old and have the bald spot going down the center back of scalp. I hate it so much and need to fix this! I am afraid to use Rogain, seeing as how its a life long deal once you start. Ideas anyone? I have always had gorgeous full hair, and I have changed my diet...is that the cause?
hello, i am on my mid 20's and i have the same problem on my scalp which is a small spot of bald at the middle of my scalp...any help or remedy for this please.
Hello there,

I'm not sure if this could be the same...

I notice a a small bald spot form on the top of my head by where my bangs started. I thought maybe it could be from straightening and having the hair get caught and being pulled out. I watched it for six months and then a raised a bump started to grow. I went to the dermatologist and she determined that it was a cyst and I had it removed. Unfortunately it created a scare so I am not sure if the hair will grow back but it is small enough where I can cover it with other hair. I would suggest having it looked at as soon as possible just in case.

I hope this helps! :)
I'm sorry mikee2009 the previous post was meant for you!
Im 19 years old. and sense my sophmore year in high school i have been getting random spots of hair loss on my head. it was worse in tenth grade but over the years has lightened, though it still occurs. i am now a freshman in colege and do stress out a lot mainly with my emotions.... could this be the reason for the hair loss??
:/ im worried it may be serious what can i do?
same here Whitster - did you find out what the solution or cause is?  I'm going to the doctor next week to find out since I only noticed it a couple of days ago but might've had this for awhile.  Will report back my findings.  Hopefully something fixable
i am 14 and i also have a Small bald spot close to my banges but covered up and it sonly the size of a penny and im going to the doctor next week to find out what it is :(  ((and i have not been taking ANY medications))
i am 16 and about 2 years ago i noticed a small bald spot in the middle of my hair, but by the time i finally got an appt. with the dermotoligst[about 6 months later] it had started to grow back, so we didnt worry and thought it was something to do with puberty and all. but just this morning i found another small bald spot on the side of my head, and i am going to make an appointment sooner, but what may be the cause of all this? and how can i fix it?
thanks so much! :)
hi i'm 20 years old and just overnight... i have a bald spot on the conder of my scalp the size of a half dollar.. it wasn't there yesterday.. it's here now... i'm so scared and there really hasn't been any changes in anything for me.. i've been on the same birth control for 2 and a half years, i've been eating the same.. i don't stress too much (or so i think). i don't know what to do.. my mom told me my uncle had the same thing and his grew back.. but that's a GUY! my hair is long long long.. i can touch my belly button with it pulled forward.. he's always had a military buzz cut.. how in God's name is it supposed to grow back like it was never there???
hi, im 20 years old & im 29 wks pregnant. i have atleast 12 to 13 baldspot on my head most of them are big size of 2 doller coin. i asked a doctor whats wrong, they had no clue they told they cant do anything cos im pregnant, does anyone know wuts wrong with me?...please let me know ASAP!!!
I'm a young woman, 21years old and for almost 2 years i've had those problems. Started out with a penny sized bald spot on the back of my head, then a HUGE bald spot of about the size of a circle when you put your thump and index finger together for the "okay" and sign. Then all that hair grew back. For almost a year now i've only had about a penny (or smaller) bald spot.  But within the last month or so, I have gotten about 5 different nickle to quarter sized bald spots all over my head.  None are visible unless I put my hair up for when i go to work because i have shoulder length hair.

I keep getting the run-around from doctors. Nothing I do to change my diet and stess affects the continuous reoccurance.  I have no known allergies, serious disease or "symptoms" other then the bald spots. I had gone through depression while recovering from an abusive envirnment when the spots started but i have been great ever since.

I'm not looking for a anyone to reply with what they think it is. I don't care about anymore tests. I just want everyone on this page to know that people WILL always give you the run-around.  
MOVE ON with life, you still have your face w/ or w/o your hair.  And if there is nothing we can do to fix or prevent it, just keep living. The only person who won't "like" you for you and your bald spot is you... so if you can accept that it may go away or may not, we ALL will be okay

Plus no one has died from hairloss!
I recently noticed two small bald spots on my head about the size of a dime. one on the left side of my head and the other on the back of my head. My mom said its from too much stress, so i researched it. HOPE THIS HELPS...

Alopecia Areata is a hair loss condition characterized by the rapid onset of hair loss in a sharply defined area. Any hair-bearing surface can be affected, but the most noticeable surface is the scalp. The reason alopecia areata occurs is not completely known. In some cases it is associated with other diseases, but most of the time it is not. Research is ongoing to determine the best treatment for this sometimes-striking disease.

Causes of Alopecia Areata
There are several different hypotheses as to what causes alopecia areata. Genetic factors seem to play an important role since there is a higher frequency of a family history of alopecia areata in people who are affected. Alopecia areata appears to also have an autoimmune factor causing the patient to develop antibodies to different hair follicle structures. Certain chemicals that are a part of the immune system called cytokines may play a role in alopecia areata by inhibiting hair follicle growth. Some studies show that emotional stress may also cause alopecia areata.
MY DAUGHTER IS NOW 34 YEAR OLD NOW , ABOUT THREE  AGO SHE GOTTON THIS BALD SPOT IN THE BACK OF HER HEAD, AND ONLY HER HAIR WILL GROW VERY LITTLE OUT, THEN BRAKE OFF ALL OVER AGAIN, THEN I PULL JUST ONE OF THE HAIR OUT FROM THAT BALD SPOT AND AS I WAS PULLING IT OUT THE HAIR WAS GETTING LONGER THAN AS I SEEN THE ROOT OUT , THE ROOT WAS LONGER THAN IT USELEY IS , ONLY TO NOTICE THE WHOLD ROOT WAS A DARK RED, ALMOST A DARK RED BLOOD COLOR, WERE LATINOS WITH REAL DARK BROWN HAIR, I NEVER EVER SEEN ANY THING LIKE THIS, SO PLEASE HELP US, FIUGER THIS OUT, PLEASE HELP US, I'M REALLY GETTING WORRY ABOUT THIS. THANK YOU SO MUCH, NOEL CORREA
adding to jerbear931

thyroid problems can lead to Alopecia Areata as well
I discovered a spot at the crown of my head one night while laying in bed playin with my hair. Had a mini-panic attack and went in to see my dr the next day. Dr explained it was a condition called Alopecia and had to be treated with cortizone shots as well. Hair began to grow back after first treatment. The shots were not very painful but did hurt/sting a little. For the person(s) without insurance, if you can afford to go straight to a Dernatologist and skip the general doctor fee. I was charge $75 for a 30 minute wait and what ha to be no more than a 5 minute visit just to be told to go to a dermatologist. I spoke to derm about financial situation and was blessed with a dr nice enough to reduce my bill by 50%. Also, I recently started using a hair treatment because of the alopecia spot and rapid hair loss due to the condition which seems to really reduce the fall out. You can find hair recipes with this stuff on YouTube and I purchase supplies at my local Indian market. I use Indian gooseberry powder known as AMLA and Vatika brand coconut oil mixed with water. Add water to AMLA powder (to make a paste or runny mixture to coat scalp an hair) and let sit for 15 or 30 mins. Then I add oil and massage scalp. The amla has a strong smell but try to keep in for an hour or as long as you can. Rinse and shampoo/condition. Hope this helps ladies. Keep your head up!
My daughter is 16 years old with Down Syndrome. We just noticed a small bald spot  top left of your head. The spot was not there last week. Help please, would like to  know before doctor's appointment on Monday night.
Hello! I am 21 years old and I have a bald spot on my lower right of my head! I believe its getting bigger because when I first was told by my hair stylist that I had a bald spot it was like the size of my thumb and now its a little bigger then my thumb. My stylist told me that it was of stress and that makes sense because I've been under stress for some time now. Someone posted that it could be because of thyroid issues and that got me scared because my mother has thyroid cancer and I'm wondering if theirs any chance that I could have thyroid cancer?  

hi iam 18 and i do dye my hair alot and i recently recieved a bald spot on the back of my head im like so scared cuz my hair was awsome and hearing all these storyies of how it can be a disease and like im terified now so any suggestons cuz my mom canceld my medi cal cuz she dosnt want to waist money wen she has tons of it in the bank what can i do
They have found a link between hair loss like that and celiac disease. Get tested for gluten allergy/celiac disease.  If you can't afford testing, stop all wheat/rye/barley/hops and other sources of gluten for a few weeks and see if your hair regrows.  
Alopecia Areata And Celiac Disease - Autoimmune Hair Loss in ...
Apr 28, 2008 ... A relatively high rate of celiac disease has been reported in patients with alopecia areata, an autoimmune disease that affects the hair ...
celiacdisease.about.com/.../symptomsofceliacdisease/.../Alopecia.htm - Cached - Similar
Celiac disease and alopecia areata: report of a new association.
by GR Corazza - 1995 - Cited by 82 - Related articles
Celiac disease is frequently associated with other autoimmune disorders but has never been reported in association with alopecia areata. ...
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7557104 - Similar
Celiac Disease -- familydoctor.org
Celiac disease might cause some hair loss (a condition called alopecia areata). Lactose intolerance (problem with foods like milk) is common in patients of ...
familydoctor.org › ... › Conditions AZ › Digestive Disorders - Cached - Si
About a month ago I found two spots about the size of a nickel on the back of my head that were bald, I now found a third. I went to the rheumatologist and had a bunch of tests run because I had a borderline high ANA test. Everything was normal except low Vitamin D. I have an appointment at a dermatologist next week. No one in my family has Alopecia so I'm not sure if that is what it is. I do have Pernicias Anemia (sp.) which I'm told is an autoimmune disorder so is it likely that this is also an autoimmune disorder?
Here are some natural remedies for hair growth that i found on ezinearticles.com:

Apply a mixture of 1 teaspoon of Neem oil (antifungal & antiitching) 1 teaspoon Teatree or Manuka (also antifungal) which much stronger than teatree, one teaspoon of Rosemary oil and one teaspoon of Lavender oil together in 3 tablespoons of carrier oils such as Olive or Almond oil (Wheatgerm and Macadamia carrier oils closely match your natural sebum) and apply to your scalp daily.

Neem: ... a wonder oil from India. Neem is amazing for all of the wonderful "stuff" it does. It's also derived from a type of tree bark. Neem is an effective fungicide and insecticide (great for head lice when used with geranium, rosemary, lavender and eucalyptus oils). In clinical studies Neem extracts and oil were found to be as effective as coal tar and cortisone in treating psoriasis with none of the usual side effects accompanying the use of Neem as there was with Coal tar and cortisone. Neem extracts and oil removes redness and itching when applied directly to your scalp...and it's a great skin conditioner. Best of all its excellent for relieving itching fast.

Zinc Pyrithione: Wonderful stuff for dandruff & itchy scalp conditions. First synthesized in the 1930's, this is the most widely used active ingredient from a natural source. It's used to treat dandruff, seborrheic dermatitus, psoriasis, eczema and numerous other skin and scalp disorders. It has strong anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties.
Jojoba: Is excellent as a scalp moisturiser and helps to rebalance sebum.

Tea Tree: Oily hair ... Treatment for dry scalp, dandruff, lice, and underactive sebaceous glands, enlivens the scalp and brings the cells & follicles to attention

Rosemary: Oily hair ... Dandruff treatment; promotes hair growth
Don't freak out! Most random bald spots are caused because of your body experiencing a high dose of stress. I am 21 years old & recently my grandmother passed away, I was doing horrible in school, my family was full of drama, and all of this put me under a lot of stress that i've never had before, & than one night I woke up with a bald spot. I refuse to take medication for anxiety; so the doctor recommended that I exercise daily, eat regularly and manage a healthy diet, also drink tea & do activities that are relaxing and stress free. It's been about 2 mnths and hair is already growing back! So if you don't have and thyroid issues, or Alopecia & you're under a lot of stress. Try to relax! Your hair will love it :)
i have a bald spot (not circular but thin and long) on the front right of my head. i got it when i was age 11 and now i'm 21. i saw a few doctors and was prescribed medicine. at around age 13 it started to grow back but then it started to itch so i just scratched. the hair came off and it now has a slightly raised bump and scab over it. it sometimes itches but it don't hurt anymore.

can anyone help me by giving me advise. Thanks.

btw - i'm allergic to nuts.
oh im only 13 ive been wearing hats alot...  but not like in school or anythng just on the bus and then after school.. i recently got my hair dyed black... but im not sure why i have this bald spot in the back of my head... its not red or anything its just like bald.;p i dont know how to fix it... please somebody respond. people keep saying stuff about it and its getting annoying! how do i grow my hair back!
hi im 16 and i have a couple of bold spots on my head i try to cover it but some how it still show. At first my mother said its because i tie my hair alot but now i let it loose and its still not growing i think its becoming worse
Hi am am goin to to be 21 next month and i have had bald spots apear and grow back on sevral diff spots of my head since i was 18. I have gone to a few docs and some say it its alepicia or stress and that there isnt really anything i can do, but eat good and take vitamins.. i have also taken a thiroyd test that came back fine..
It is a very hard thing to go through as a young girl, i love my hair and when ever i find one and finally start to fully grow back another one apears somewhere else! Im tired of this and wish there was a miracle that would stop this for all off us. I feel ur pain =[..
bald spot can be Alopecia,stress,some medication,fungus,auto immune problems,Please GO to see a Dermatologist,they are the one to treat all kind of conditions related to hair,nails skin,Please dont waist your time asking for help you need to see a Dermatologist Now!!!!! If you dont have the money  to see a Dermatologist, go to the hospital they can Help You.
Hi I'm just 16 and I have noticed about 3 small bald spots , nothing alarming at all they are very small almost not noticeable but seeing as I am a perfectionist and my hair means everything to me I wanted to make sure it wasn't something serious or that it could get worse. Please reply cuz I'm freaking out !
hello, im 21 and i had noticed i had bald spots on my head when i was 14 when my friend was brading my hair,she told me i had spots with no hair and i had 7 of them at that time. they come and go, i went to a dermatoligist and he had told me it was from stress. so thats when they had me going through a process. they would put shots on the area were there was no hair growing and afterwards it seemed to work bcuz the hair started to grow not long after it started to fall again. just today i was thinking i might shave my head..it will grow back.
After giving birth to my daughter i have gotten small circle size bald spots on my head. Although my hair grows back, in the past 2 years i've had 5 bald spots. What is the cause of this?
When I first posted on this I was 21 years old. I'm 23 now and my hair had nearly spread to my entire body.

A week ago I started taking heavy doses of Vitamins and Minerals (from ebecker.youngevityonline.com) and completely removed Gluten from my diet. There are some minerals that can help you boost your immune system.

In the last three days I've noticed leg arm and head hair coming back.
I'm 12 and I have 1 small baldspot. I don't know why I have it I just know that I have it.  I also have a sore any ideas on what I should do,  or what's wrong with me
well i'm 31 weeks pregnant and i had noticed a little small bald spot on the top of my head, i wasn't to worried until  a month later i noticed it had gotten bigger  and every time i washed my hair or brushed it more and more clumps would fall out and now i found another little spot on the side of my head...i went to see my doctor and they did some blood work which came back fine so they made an appointment for me to see a specialist but im not sure if its from my pregnancy or something else but i'm really worried and scared that im gonna go completely bald and wont grow back.....
I am an 18 year old female & was looking at my scalp last night because something felt strange. I felt it and bnoticed it was smoother than other parts of my scalp. I parted my hair & saw just a little over a thumbsize bald patch on my hair....0.0.
this has NEVER happened 2 me b4!!
iM white/black & mixed w/ native american & European...so, needless to say, loosing haor early "really" isn't in my genes.. But I thought back to a few months ago and I recalled having a gash around that size around that same place,
& i really "HATE" scabs.
so, annoyed with it, I picked it off..
can that leave me BALD there 4 "Life" ((0~•))
-Chelsie.
this has NEVER happened 2 me b4!!
& i really "HATE" scabs.
so, annoyed with it, I picked it off..
-Chelsie.
this has NEVER happened 2 me b4!!
& i really "HATE" scabs.
so, annoyed with it, I picked it off..
-Chelsie.
Hi, iv had the same thing for the past 5 years, bald spots on my head. DR. siad its strees and gives me some kind of shot in bald spot area and it stops it from getting bigger. I get the shot ever 3 weeks for two months.My hair grows back in about 3 months. This time i got two on my head and one on my eye brow. half of its gone. It looks funny walking around with half a eye brow.Its been 2 years sins i got them. I live close to the border so went over there and a Dr. gave some pill to take for 30 day once a day. It work good for to years, now it time to go back and get them. I seen some save Vagisil works good, i think im going to try it .
Hi Im 27years old and i discovered a bald spot a week ago in the side if my head on the top off my ear it is like three finger in long im stressing im not sure if its alopecia ariata im very nurves..i dont have insurence.......
I was brushing out my 8 year old daughters hair like two weeks a go n noticed she had a lil bold spot on the top of her head what can it be from should I be worried what can it be from..
I posted on this message in 2010.  I recovered from my bald patches in the last 6 months.  I know I'm not supposed to advertise or post personal business but...

In Jan of 2012 I was almost completely bald, no eyebrows no eyelashes, very little hair on my head. Then in Feb I discovered a few things about health.  Long story short I went gluten free and started taking heavy doses of vitamin and mineral supplements and in 2 weeks saw my first results. Now over 6 months later I'm shaving my legs, back to plucking my eyebrows, and all the hair on my hair has returned.

Just search me on Facebook, I'm the top hit for "Emily Becker Alopecia". You can also send me a message on here if you'd like.  I really want to help everyone here. Going through this was aweful and I tried to stay positive but it is hard.  Hope you all read my testimony on my facebook. Good luck!

If I may Medhelp without you getting upset, here is my personal e-mail...
***@****
Thyroid problems are passed down from the mother. It does not mean you have thyroid cancer but it does mean you need to have it checked. Have them do the regular test and if it is negative have them do a reverse thyroid check, this is where it is much easier to find. Most Dr.'s wont do the reverse check because they are not trained to do so. My dr did and found that my mom, sister, grandma, and I all have thyroid problems that came back normal with the regular test. Hope this helps
Hi, am 22 years old i just notice two bald spots quater size and they feel soft, like it they were waxed. Why am i having bald spots??? Should i make a doctor appointment i believe i still got medical, i seriously don't wanna touch my hair, afraid it might keep falling :(
Plz help any advice helps hi am 16 years old i straight my hair everyday for about 3 years i noticed my hair is falling out from the root about 500 stands of hair everyday am really scared i also noticed i have a bald spot in the middle what should i do plz help!!
Im eighteen years old and about three weeks ago I found a big bald spot on my scalp caused by exsema and feel embarrassed to take it down from a ponytail and or bun how can this be treated I wanna let my hair down
thank u soooooooo much u r so encouraging I need it that went thru samething lots of stress my husb left lost job lots of bad news lots of worries it took a toll on me I hope that staying away from stress il regain my hair back thank u again
I had a bald spot it was caused by using my contraception pills.. I stoped.. It grew back... Went on another pill and it happened again so now i have a massive ( to me it seems massive) bald spot on top of my head.. So now i always wear my hair up which i hate!!.. Im off all pills now and im scared to even use contraception anymore which is not good cause i do not want to get pregnant (im 23).. How can i make my hair grow back on the bald patch.. Going to see my doctor asap!!!
A remedy I found was to rub jalapeño on the bald spot. Wear gloves for this, slice the jalapeño in half and rub directly on the spot, it will sting a bit but it won't be too horribe. Do this everyday till you see growth.
Im 17years of age and I have recently noticed I have quite a large patch of baldness at the back of my scalp, I am very worried and have lost a lot of confidence since iv noticed it. I have gone to the doctors and they said it would start to grow back within a few weeks but I've had no change and seems to be getting bigger, my hair is normally thick but since I have noticed it my hair as became a lot thinner where it is. I was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what the cause is? Im a very worried teenager and the stress of it all isnt helping!
chelsiepreece, do you have any signs of anxiety?/   I ask because some people actually pull their own hair out without being aware of it as a compulsion.  Do you find the hair anywhere?  

My niece started doing this as a teen and it is a form of a anxiety disorder.  She didn't recall pulling the hair out but was doing it none the less.  Treating the anxiety helped ease this symptom.  good luck dear.  
im in the same exact boat: various spots, no insurance, but 25 years old. I'm vegetarian so I started in-taking a lot more iron and protein since I have been under extreme stress for the past 3 months so I am hoping it ill get better (I'm vegetarian and gluten free). I also bought this hot oil treatment which is suppose to help thinning hair, but in our case, we're losing hair. When my hair falls, I can see the white follicle still in place :/ If  no improvement in a month il have to pay to go to a DR.
Keep me updated
Keep me updated