WOMEN'S HEALTH
COMMUNITY
smelly discharge from belly button
by rooney08, Oct 17, 2005
please help me for years off and on ive had this really smelly discharge from my belly button i went to the doc a few years back he didnt seem worried but now its back i dont wanna go back to my doctor as have been back and forth for weight probs and periods etc and am getting fed up with it all has anyone here experienced this problem or know what it could be i have my belly button peirced but had this problem before that and its horrible pllllleeeeeeeeaaaaaasssssseeeee help me!!!
Member Comments (193)
by Sares, Oct 17, 2005
Hi there. You mention weight issues, sometimes when you are overweight some areas (such as belly button )that don't ever get fresh air, get warm and moist and can get an overgrowth of bacteria or thrush.This would explain the smell. Or I could be wrong and it may not be a weight issue at all! If it is, you could try using an antibiotic cream there and if possible get some fresh air to the area. Salty water to wash the area is also really good, and after the shower make sure you dry the area really well, a hair dryer works great (I am a nurse and this is what we get patients to do with the same problem as you, seems to work well.) Anyways, hope this helps some. Good Luck. Sars
by Nicole24, Oct 17, 2005
I have the same thing! I thought I was the only one! I also have my belly button peirced and it always smells. I really can not get rid of the smell, I know its horrible. I use Dial antibacterial body wash to try and get rid of the smell. I take out my belly ring and clean it often. I don't really know how to get rid off the smell totally, but Dial helps a little bit. If you find a way, please let me know!

-Nicole
by rooney08, Oct 18, 2005
thank you so much i feel better now ill give it all ago and hope for the best im so happy im not the onlyone and its nothing serious thank you!!
by JoAnnaRF, Oct 18, 2005
Just a thought... Maybe the chemicals of the body mixing with the metal of the piercing? Perhaps this could cause an odor?

by omalley, Oct 21, 2005
stinky belly button can result from an imbalance in body chemistry.  try cleansing your belly button with a q-tip dipped in tea tree oil twice a day for a week... it's great for clearing up bacteria and fungus and will likely resolve it.  good luck! :)
by lynncarol, Oct 24, 2005
I have the same problem where my belly button smells. It's always bad after I have ate a large meal. This may be normal for big people. As I am big as well. All I can suggest is cleaning it often and a little lotion to keep the smell away.
by mommie5, Jul 05, 2007
I had a procedure to remove a polyp off my cervix, and after that I got a discharge from my belly button. Do you think it related
by LoobyLoo67, Jul 07, 2007
Hi there

Its funny you should say that as myself and all the females in our family have a good old laugh at this. I would say that it is literally sweat and the fact that not much air gets to it that causes this to smell. Sometimes, especially in the shower you can mabe forget to give your poor little stinky bellybutton a cleanout and this is what it may be. Now that it has become such a talked about situation in our family (we all initially never spoke about it and then once one person mentiond it everyone else admitted it) i make sure that its clean. Its just one of those places that is inevitble to smell a bit. I wouldnt worry and you would be suprised at how many people will admit it to you if you asked them.

Take care

LouXX
by conina, Jul 11, 2007
I too have had issues with a smelly bellybutton. I believe it's from surgery that i had. I had an ectopic pregnancy, 2 large ovarian cysts and gallbladder disease. In the course of 2 weeks I had multiple surgeries and suffered complications. They went in through my bellybutton 2x's and i feel that's the cause. Also, it gets worse when it's close to me getting my period.I clean it out with a qtip and alcohol evey day.