smelly discharge from belly button
please help me for years off and on ive had this really smelly discharge from my belly button i went to the doc a few years back he didnt seem worried but now its back i dont wanna go back to my doctor as have been back and forth for weight probs and periods etc and am getting fed up with it all has anyone here experienced this problem or know what it could be i have my belly button peirced but had this problem before that and its horrible pllllleeeeeeeeaaaaaasssssseeeee help me!!!
Hey!
I have the same thing n it comes once every couple of months but i make sure to wash it all over n use a cutip to clean it. It works for me n the smell goes away.
i also have my belly pierced but for some reason no matter how much i clean it its like infected with the discharge mucus.
And just to let u know DIAL SOAP isn't gud for piercings it damages ur skin cells!! Use sea salt it makes the piercing feel better

Hope this helps!
i'm 22 years old my belly is stinking and i'm woried because i also have discharge coming out.
I've found the following works well:  After showering and drying BB as well as possible, every day I use a babywipe wrapped around a cotton bud to clean the BB really thoroughly, then use the bare cotton bud to apply Vaseline.  
I too am having the same problem ! My belly button has been like that for almost a year. I cain't touch the inside its kind of painfull. and it smells like rotton butt lol to be honest. It's kinda embarasing .I wash it 2 times a day when i take my showers the smell goes away for a bit but comes right back few hours later ! and its tender ! when being touched kinda feels like your touching inside of my guts or organs or something ! ugh I hope we all find answers!
I am 54, I have had a hysterectomy through my belly button.  I had a C-Section.  I am slightly overweight, not obese, and not what  anyone would call fat.  After my C-Section I always had an itchy spot on the outside edge of my BB. My C-Section was 21 years ago and my Hysterectomy 17 years ago.  I just this year, had a smelly, yellow, crusty discharge in my BB, for the first time.  Yes it worries me.  I would like to know exactly what causes this.  Before my hysterectomy, my BB looked like it had an end to it inside.  Since the hysterectomy it looks like it just goes to a dark hole in the middle of my being.  Several have mentioned this after surgeries.  If you are seriously overweight, I can see how it would be hard to keep this area clear of sweat and maybe a yeast can form.  However, I do not feel this is the case in my situation (and others).  I feel it may be an indication something is wrong, and I would really like some professional definitive answers, so I will be going to my doctor.  I do thank all of you for yours discussions, because of them I have ruled out the being overweight reason.  If I do find out the actual cause, I will write back to you all.  Thank you for helping me to decide how I am going to deal with this.
IT HAS BEEN HAPPENING TO ME EVER SINCE I HAD A TUBAL AND GOT FAT. SMELLS WORSE THAN A SEWER FULL OF POOP. SO GLAD TO HEAR OTHERS OUT THERE THAT CAN RELATE. ***** THOUGH.
I had Gall Bladder surgery 7 days ago and I have a white/yellowish/ brown substance oozing out of my belly button! Is this normal?
i had this problem too .,and its coming back whenever i got my period. im a girl..15 yrs old,no surgeries or pierces.,i think im chubby but my  BODY MASS INDEX is normal ., i always eat to much food .,pls help me., im worrying because my parents didnt know about it,. THANKS!
THIS WILL WORK FOR SURE. I had this problem after having to use a steroid cream for psoriasis in the belly button. I tried everything over the counter and even alcohol or salt water cottonballs held in with a bandaid. I had silvadine cream from a burn and that didn't work either.  Years later after some dental work that kinda scratched my gums, the dentist gave PERIDEX mouthrinse. he said it would soothe and bring down the swelling. It did that and as I read up on it it is also used for gum disease infections. it is prescription but very cheap for a big bottle. I soaked a q-tip in it and cleaned out my belly button and just like that the smell went away and never came back. I never knew what kind of infection it was but this worked great. My doc suggested that I share this so I hope it can help others too.  
i have had the same problem..using steroid creams in the belly button. my problem got worst and stinked very badly. i am on my way now to quick care because it stinks so bad! i have to wear a band aid to cover up the psariosis inflamation. it now has a green oozy look. i smaell, and i am sure others can smell this. i am not a over weight female. i weigh about 130pds. i just started haveing this issue about a month ago! i am sick of the smell, and the oozing! i will let you all know what the doc. says later!
I have always had the problem but the other day I dabbed Tea Tree Oil in my navel with a cotton wool bud and I'm amazed that after all these years it no longer smells.  So all you smelly belly buttons out there - give it a try.  Be good to hear the results.
Try Lying on your back- have someone pool a little ethyl rubbing alcohol (lower percentage) in your belly button. Then have them take two q tips to spread it apart and clean it out. Then get doggy style so it all runs out via gravity while you pat it dry. I think my ex wife misses things like this I used to do.  medicine_man_4
It is caused by weight,
As well as low maintenance, every 2nd day you should clean it with a cotton bud dipped in alcohol such as whiskey.
I'm a big girl & I had strange leaks & so on..
It's discharge that your body is rejecting! Mainly from greasy foods.
The crustiness is just the dried discharge...
Nothing serious, just needs to be clean.
& dried after your daily shower.

All the best
xx
I get it too!!! Thankyou everyone.glad im not alone!
When I was born I had an umbilical hernia and am convinced its to do with detaching! Im 46 now and going thru perimenopause and finally detaching from my parents! Long story! Thanks to the suggestion of cleaning with tea tree oil.
Im a believer in 'the body speaks'
I'm posting this comment high up the list because my bf had the same thing happening to him, and after doing a lot of research I found out what it was and how to fix it for good. The cause of the smell is actually from a fungus, not bacteria, that invaded the opening of your belly button and is trying to continue spreading down your navel passage. So all the anti-bacterial stuff people do to try and fix it is ineffective, including taking oral antibiotics which can even make it worse. Too much moisture around the opening is only half the problem for most folks: Take fewer showers (and quit swimming for awhile if that's what you tend to do), dry your belly button well, swab it with alchohol, and let it dry totally each time. Don't rub the area much at all while washing: you want it to heal itself shut! Keep your belly button as moisture-free as possible at all times to prevent giving the fungus a place to grow. Apply a topical antifungal of your choice to the area at least once a day until symptoms clear. Other than that, dryness is key! ((I know this sounds icky, but if you're starting out with "goo" in there, it's best to squeeze it out before beginning treatment.)) That's what you do on the outside. Now for the inside of you:

If you tend to love your: coffee, alcohol, ibuprofen, sugar, stress, and 'wolfing' your food, I have bad news. All of these things, in addition to having insufficient digestive enzymes (evidenced by acid reflux, etc.), actually contribute to your stinky belly button problem; you have to cut back on all of these things significantly in order to heal. These things contribute to a condition called Leaky Gut Syndrome, in which the yeasts in your digestive tract (natural fungus) run rampant and cause mild inflammation of the small intestine. This inflammation results in porosity of the gut lining, allowing microbes and even small food particles to leak out of the intestine and into the abdominal cavity. If this Candida yeast gets into your naval tract...viola! Stinky belly button. Soooo....

You have to heal your small intestine in order to avoid your belly button problem from recurring. Trust me, this worked wonders for my bf. Here's how: For two weeks, avoid the stuff I mentioned just above. Add as much lemon, lime, garlic, ginger, and vegetables to your diet during this time as you can (it's a good habit to stay in). Chew all your meals and snacks slowly, limit your portion sizes, and take digestive enzymes with each meal (usually available in chews). Take probiotics daily (like what's found in live-culture yogurt or in pill form) for the two weeks. Probiotics are naturally found in the intestine, but get overwhelmed by overgrowth of Candida; you got to replace 'em to put things back in balance. You will also daily want to take an amino acid called glutamine that is fairly tasteless and can be mixed into drinks. Glutamine helps heal your digestive tract so it's important to take it. Take omega-3 fatty acids or eat foods high in them. Staying hydrated and keeping up on your fiber will help flush out the fungus as it dies.

If you follow this regimen for two weeks, then keep up your healthy eating habits, you will likely never see this problem pop up again. Best of luck!
Well, I guess my comment didn't post very high up! Anyway, I just wanted to add a couple of points: Some good external antifungals to try are tea tree oil, grapefruit seed extract (called GSE), Monistat 7 if you have it around, coconut oil, apple cider vinegar, oregano oil, and clove oil.

The particles that escape a leaky gut can cause other health problems such as fluid buildup in the abdomen (ascites), allergies, and asthma. When these particles are in the abdomen, your body's immune system kicks into high gear to rid itself of the foreign object. It's something to consider if you are having immune-related problems or a large gut that doesn't seem to be all fat.

Candida yeast is the same as thrush. It's what gives us vaginal yeast infections, stinky belly buttons, and that white coating on your tongue. It's favorite food is the sugars we eat and it can get out of control in the body with a high-sugar diet. Other factors that favor yeast growth in our bodies are: chlorine, flouride, heavy metals, antibiotics, nicotine, food and beauty chemicals, having diabetes or AIDS, and eating processed foods from moldy sources, like tomato sauce/paste/ketchup and dehydrated potatoes.

Some good sources of omega-3: grass fed beef, walnuts, oily fish, cantaloupe, flax, safflower oil, fortified eggs and milk.

If you are looking for more healthy foods to steer toward, try grapefruit, green apples, quinoa, buckwheat, avocado, whole grains, tree nuts, raw foods, fermented foods (kim chi, saurkraut, kombucha, tempe), yogurt, and cruciferous veges like brocolli, kale, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, etc. Steer clear of packaged and fast foods as much as possible and cut back on white starches like potatoes, rice, pasta, corn, and bread.

I hope all this helps someone...it took weeks of research to find the answer for my bf. He went to the doctor for his stinky bellybutton before I met him; the doctor's approach was to surgically remove his bellybutton. When the infection came back, the same doctor cut out his entire naval passage. I met him several years later and the saw the infection come back again. The doctor wanted to do another surgery. I urged my bf to let me try to help him instead of going under the knife again. After following my recommendations based on what I found out, he has not had the infection since and avoided a third sugery. I'm so mad at that doctor for perfoming unneccessary surgeries on my guy!!
Last thing: stinky belly button infection can happen from any perforation of the naval tract. Surgeries, piercings, and cleaning/picking the navel are possible culprits. My bf had picked out the tiny, white keratin plug that naturally seals shut the navel opening. That's how his got started.
I have the same issue and can't get it tO stop! And I dont have mine pierced and never have I've tried lotion thinking it was dry but didn't help :-/
Ugh! This "Smelly Belly Button" Just started and I will say that it flipped me out. I have been keeping balled up tissue inside and hoping it will go away. I made an appointment with my Doc. I'm sure he will wave it away and tell me to go home. I am a big girl and have been trying to loose weight, but I drink a lot of soda so I have a lot of sugar in my system. I guess I'll have to do some of the suggestions on this site. I'm glad that I'm not the only one.
I have this same problem the doctor prescribed some kind of cream and it doesn't work. Mine starts when I'M about to start my period I'M wondering If that could have anything to do with it
Same here! This does not happen that often to me but when it does, IT HURTS!!!  My belly button gets really red and sore and dischrges some milky liquid. I have never talked to anyone and have just dealt with it, like I said it is not that often. It usually goes away on it own, lasting a few days. I hate to say this, but I am glad that I found out not to be the only one. Thanks for sharing!!
I had a c section about 8 weeks ago my b button is wet smells and when I clean it it has a yellow discharge. Also I get the same smell and yellow discharge around my scar. I have an apron that what I call the loose skin that hangs over my scar. So it doesn't get much fresh air but I so clean everything everyday. What do u think?
I agree that some of these other people have the right idea. But let a doc diagnose it for you. I downplayed mine, thinking some of the same things as others on here only to be told by the doc that the infection in my belly button is worse than staph, they are concerned about a hole leaking stomach fluid through. Take my advice, don't diagnose yourself just in case.

Good luck.
Three days ago, I was standing doing dishes and I kept smelling something awful.  It was my belly button :(
I have a deep innie, and it was red and sore.  I swabbed inside with a q-tip and there was blood...which really freaked me out.  The pain was only on the actual inflamed skin.
So, I came on here and checked the remedies.  I happened to have some apple cider vinegar in the house, so I reluctantly soaked two q-tips and swabbed the perimeter of my belly button and as far inside as I could. It hurt a fair amount, but I did twice a day for two days and on the third day my belly button doesn't hurt anymore and there is absolutely no smell at all :)

So yes, apple cider vinegar is your friend! I'm going to do this probably once a week to stop it from coming back.
hey guys! I woke up today with blood and puss crusted on my belly button. It also was sore to the touch. well i went and shower and stuck my finger in my button and found two lumps type things well I found this board then decided to make a dr appointment. my dr said that it was my sweat gland that was clogged and had been infected so she sent me home with an antibiotic. just thought i would let u guys know what my result was!
Forty six years ago I told my doctor about mine. He inserted a huge q tip and said my navel never closed. Cleaned it out and said not to worry about
it. But I still have it never close.
Yes I do but I thought it was moths or carpet beetles. But I have intermitant tummy button problem, so this is interesting
hi, i have had this proplem for many years its never been a bad issue that iv thort to get checked out from a doctor but i wanted to google it to find y this happens i am slitly overweight bt my belly botten does get air and wash regulary, iv never had any problems in the girly area or with my periods and would really love to know y its coursed weather it is overweight or something else...i rescently go the corage to as a friend she said it smells like the smell when u pick or clean ur toe nails, witch is exactly wat myn smels like, can any1 relate to that???? and is it and overweight problem or maby somthing to do with sweat??  i have a bad underarm sweating proplem not smelly sweat just wet sweat...b great if any1 kan answer my questions :)
Ok Ladies! I got it figured out! The other night I was trying to figure out what to do with my belly button cuz it really turned red and was hurting and I'm pretty sure it was a fungus. My belly button has always smelled awful too.. and yes, I am overweight, I am quite certain it smells because it doesnt get much air.. so bacteria can easily grow.. anyways, I GOT THE CURE FOR BOTH! I tried the yogurt the first night, because I know that yogurt DOES help fight fungi... but it didnt seem any better the next day. so i figured i would treat it like i do with any heat rash that i get every once in a while.. I used CORN STARCH. It has been two days and it does not hurt anymore, nor is there any smell, which i didnt expect.. It is still red but i will continue using it until that clears too.. I took a shower, cleaned it out, dried it good, and dabbed a little cornstarch in the whole thing. it has worked like a charm. I hope it works well for all you ladies too!!!
I get this and wondered for years what it was and then I watched Dr Oz once and he said it's caused from when your umbilical cord was cut as a baby that there was some aspect of your belly button that didn't close off completely so that now and then it oozes.  He said there is nothing to worry about but there is nothing that you can do except to use saline and cotton pads and wipe it clean.  It usually goes away after a couple of days.
I have the same problem.  I found athletes foot cream worked best.  It took the redness and soreness away.  Get one that treats and prevents them.  It helped me so much.  It still comes back every now and then, but it is so much better.
yhnx alot dear i will def try..ohh u make me contentfull i was very worried..since few dayzzz
I have had this same problem for about 3 years. I'm 17 year old, not over weight, when I first started getting it I was a size 8 in clothes I'm now a size 12 and I started getting it after I had my belly button pierced. I've been too embarrassed to go to the doctor about it. I've tried everything but it always comes back, it's horrible and my partner finds it so off putting :-(
i too, like many, have the same type of clear discharge from my belly button. i find that, personally, when i rub too much at it (when tryiing to wipe it away) it simply gets worse. but if you don't at least pat dry the discharge it will dry and leave almost a sort of off white crystal, like what comes from your eyes when you wake up. I would try to use, like many others have said, an anti-baterial cream, such as neosporin, or a type of cream you put on cuts and scrapes. this seems to dry and temporarally drain the fluid if not perminently. DO NOT PICK AT THE SPOT. if you do you will find that there will be scabs inside the belly button and feel almost like wet cornstarch. not all ofthis may be true, but this is what happened to me. hope this info help a bit :) .
Where can you get tea tree oil ?
I just woke up this morning and had a pain in my belly button and when i went to touch it there was yucky fluid coming out and it smells sooooo bad. I dunno what to do, Im not over weight, I do have horrible periods and I have never had a surgery. Im thinking about seeing my dr cause there in a lump and it hurts really bad. I have never experienced this until this morning. So happy I found this site. Thanks all
From personal experience I believe that all the suggestions above do not come close to the answer.  It is not because the belly buttons are sweating because they are innies', or that we are fat and no air is getting to them, or that we don't clean them.  My solution came by mistake.  I was having treatments from my acupuncturist that most do not do, it was with suction, cupping using the bloodletting aspect. I thought that knowledge of this treatment needed to be more publicly known but did know how to get it out there, that is until I found the term hijama.  I experimented with googling hijama and acupuncture and appropriate worldwide locations so that friends of mine could find a practitioner, the reason I added acupuncture is so that one could have the option to have treatments with acupuncture.  Hijama is a long standing well known Muslim version, it is more strict (only on certain days of the month, and they suggest you rest after a treatment) and intense (they use razor blade cuts rather than needle punctures).

In my case my acupuncturist had given me a cupping kit, it took a few years before I realized I could do the bloodletting on myself in emergencies.

I recommend that even if you do get a cupping kit, that you also find a practitioner who does the whole body from time to time, as we can only deal with emergencies by ourselves, and can not do the whole body front and back to do a complete treatment.

I started using the kit on myself when I got a wasp bite that by the next day the hotness, redness and itching was starting to pass the elbow mark and I thought I'd have to go to the hospital.  I then got the kit out and put the cup on the bite site (used the suction gun to make the cup stick to the skin, left it there for a bit, used the needle hammer on the area, then put the cup back), and before I knew it the cup was filling up with the same material that came out when my acupuncturist did it on me.  This taught me that it is not necessarily so that we are allergic to bee stings, but that insects bite us where we are 'sick'.

I spent the summer using mosquito bites to find the 'sick' spots, and realized that mosquitoes are my guide in those times when I can not always find the time to drive the two hours for my acupuncture treatment.

Later that year I started to get the hot red itchy smelly belly button symptoms.  I got out the kit, and for the next 5 months, about three times a week I had to do the treatments, for a couple hours each day.  I was wondering if I would have to do them indefinitely and then I made an interesting discovery.

First of all, the area around the belly button (about an inch extending around the belly button is the 'spleen' area for Chinese medicine diagnostics.  I had a spot on my forearm that itched like crazy from time to time (it seemed to be where the forearm rests on the computer, but it is also a prominent point along the spleen meridian), but I could never get a cup to stick on that part of the arm (I thought, that due to the angle I could not reach it properly).  After five months of doing the belly button treatments the arm itch started again, and finally this time I did manage to get the cup to stick, and I removed many cups of different kinds of the material (bubbles, clots of different colours, etc).

After that, the need for continuing with the belly button ceased.

This type of treatment is so necessary for the removal of toxins that can not be gotten rid of with good diet and habits alone.  It is not at all painful, only a relief, especially when something is itchy, you put some alcohol on it, the cup, a few hammers with the needle hammer, put the cup back and the junk starts coming out ... the head feels lighter, the itch goes away, you feel great!  One thing I would add, at some point during the belly button treatments the needle hammer was no longer doing the trick and I finally succumbed to using a lancet ... of course there is a way to do it so that it does not feel like you are sticking a needle into yourself.  I will try to explain, you kind of lightly punch area, using your hand to block the needle going in all the way, so that it barely breaks the skin.  Do not be alarmed about the blue bruising, as you clean out, over time the bruising stops.

I repeat again, even if you buy your own kit and hammer, it is just for emergencies, do find someone to do whole body treatments, at least in the beginning.

I leave it to you to do your own google research (hijama, cupping, bloodletting).  There you will see the sequence of cup, alcohol, cup, wait, remove cup, wipe, do it again ... in some instances one day nothing will come from a spot, and when you go back again, it does.

Also, doing it with an acupuncturist ensures that the energy system is fortified, not only the blood removal.  As my acupuncturist says 'I can put the needles in, but if there is junk underneath, it does not do much".

I tried to keep this brief, hope it helps.
Just to add, there have been countless times that I relied on this kit that otherwise I would surely have needed to be on steroids, and that wouldn't have gotten rid of the black thick clotted blood under the surface.  Remove that stuff the inflammation stops.  This method is also amazing for knee and other joint problems.  My acupuncturist does not 'believe in arthritis'.  It is the junk that collects, we get symptoms, take pills, the junk is still there and one day there is a mass of dead blood interfering in circulation, we move less, calcium buildup etc etc etc).  Those itchy elbows are also sources of that dead blood, I have seen it, personal proof, when I get itchy spots (such as around the ankles, there is always junk.  This is not hocus pocus, yes we have candida, yeast, sugar, and all the other sins, but these mini painless operations make you instantly feel and be better, instantly reverse the sins that have made you feel bad, and gives you the energy to take better care of yourself.
I've had the same problem since I was a child, I'm now 53 years old. I can't remember if I read this or saw it somewhere on tv, but they said some people's umbilical cords never heal properly. However when I was  child I was told to clean it daily alcohol and a qtip.
I too have a weight problem, so my belly button doesn't get much air, so it gets sore and red. My doctor gave me a cream called Bactroban. It is a fungus that grows because air does not get in there, and sweat sits in there. Whenever getting out of the shower, make a point to try out your belly button and put a little baby power in there to help with the moisture. Hope this helps!
I've had  a smelly belly button off and on now for years ,as it is very deep and yes it does smell horrible  . i will tell u something funny though well i thinks funny  ..... i way laying beside my husband in bed and i hadnt had the smelly belly for a while ......i got a wif of a bad smell ,i started smelling the sheets as we sleep naked , i then blamed my husband for not wiping him bottom properly  as thats what it smelt like .... after a argument  i realised it was me  my belly was the culprit , i never did tell him that how embarrassing , but now i know when i get that wif , its me  hope u see the funny side  too..
I too have a sore red BB and I clean it with apple vinegar - I know it sounds weird but it works. Apple vinegar is a healer for so many things! Hope this helps.
Your case sounds just like mine, and from my experience is that it is my (GERD) gastroesophageal reflux disease. Seams that every time I don't take any medication for a couple of days it flairs up. I've had it so bad, it would start to come out of all my orifices. I would then get back on the acid blockers and ta-da, it's gone. I have gone to numerous doctors and none of them can tell my what is. Mine own doctors for 30 years said that he had never heard of such a thing. Never the less, I'm already in my fifty's and that seams to be the only thing that causes it for me. And just in case you don't believe that GERD could cause such a thing, check out this web site. Good luck ladies, Mustang Sally :)

http://news.yahoo.com/boys-ear-problems-had-rare-cause-gut-disease-203731727.html
i had my tubs tide the same way you did. what i have found out that is grown candida, high yeast. what i have tried is probio 5 from plexus slim and it works great. what i did before is soak a q-tip in alcohol that works .
I also had a tummy tuck 1 1/2 yrs ago, about 6 months ago I started to have this stench on my pants and blouses where my navel meets. I used a floss stick and stuck it in my BB and all this "stuff" came out and boy did it stink. It looked like my body lotion I used.  It only does it when I wear pants or shorts that put pressure on my belly button.  It does stink like dirty feet. Its disgusting. :( I am going to talk to my OBGYN next week about it.
I'm post tummy tuck by 8 years and I have the exact same problem! I call it catfish belly button! I thought I was alone with this issue but after seeing I'm not the only one I think I'm going to make an appointment with my PCP....
It comes and goes since my tummy tuck in 2008... Would that still be a post belly button surgery issue or maybe something more like yeast or bacteria causing the nasty stinky discharge ?
I have the same problem. I think it's been about 8 years post tummy tuck and I'm now suffering with this belly button thing. I wonder if it is a stitch
I have the same problem but i notice its worse when i eat wheat products. i was wheat intolerant a few years ago and then it got better but now no pain when i eat wheat but i get smelly discharge from the belly button