smelly discharge from belly button

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

smelly discharge from belly button

please help me for years off and on ive had this really smelly discharge from my belly button i went to the doc a few years back he didnt seem worried but now its back i dont wanna go back to my doctor as have been back and forth for weight probs and periods etc and am getting fed up with it all has anyone here experienced this problem or know what it could be i have my belly button peirced but had this problem before that and its horrible pllllleeeeeeeeaaaaaasssssseeeee help me!!!
Hi there. You mention weight issues, sometimes when you are overweight some areas (such as belly button )that don't ever get fresh air, get warm and moist and can get an overgrowth of bacteria or thrush.This would explain the smell. Or I could be wrong and it may not be a weight issue at all! If it is, you could try using an antibiotic cream there and if possible get some fresh air to the area. Salty water to wash the area is also really good, and after the shower make sure you dry the area really well, a hair dryer works great (I am a nurse and this is what we get patients to do with the same problem as you, seems to work well.) Anyways, hope this helps some. Good Luck. Sars
I have the same thing! I thought I was the only one! I also have my belly button peirced and it always smells. I really can not get rid of the smell, I know its horrible. I use Dial antibacterial body wash to try and get rid of the smell. I take out my belly ring and clean it often. I don't really know how to get rid off the smell totally, but Dial helps a little bit. If you find a way, please let me know!

-Nicole
thank you so much i feel better now ill give it all ago and hope for the best im so happy im not the onlyone and its nothing serious thank you!!
Just a thought... Maybe the chemicals of the body mixing with the metal of the piercing? Perhaps this could cause an odor?

stinky belly button can result from an imbalance in body chemistry.  try cleansing your belly button with a q-tip dipped in tea tree oil twice a day for a week... it's great for clearing up bacteria and fungus and will likely resolve it.  good luck! :)
I have the same problem where my belly button smells. It's always bad after I have ate a large meal. This may be normal for big people. As I am big as well. All I can suggest is cleaning it often and a little lotion to keep the smell away.
I had a procedure to remove a polyp off my cervix, and after that I got a discharge from my belly button. Do you think it related
Hi there

Its funny you should say that as myself and all the females in our family have a good old laugh at this. I would say that it is literally sweat and the fact that not much air gets to it that causes this to smell. Sometimes, especially in the shower you can mabe forget to give your poor little stinky bellybutton a cleanout and this is what it may be. Now that it has become such a talked about situation in our family (we all initially never spoke about it and then once one person mentiond it everyone else admitted it) i make sure that its clean. Its just one of those places that is inevitble to smell a bit. I wouldnt worry and you would be suprised at how many people will admit it to you if you asked them.

Take care

LouXX
I too have had issues with a smelly bellybutton. I believe it's from surgery that i had. I had an ectopic pregnancy, 2 large ovarian cysts and gallbladder disease. In the course of 2 weeks I had multiple surgeries and suffered complications. They went in through my bellybutton 2x's and i feel that's the cause. Also, it gets worse when it's close to me getting my period.I clean it out with a qtip and alcohol evey day.
OMG....THANK GOD i found this site...I had my tubes tied 6 years  ago through my belly button.  I've been fine until about a month ago when I smelled this horrible odor on all of my shirts and the rim of my pants where it would meet my navel..I too thought maybe I didn't wash/dry it thoroughly!  I take 2 showers a day and this was the first time me experiencing this ..then I happened to stick some tissue in there and the gunk that was on it was awful..smelled looked like "poop" I cleaned it and later on in the day it came back..then I started asking everyone's opinion...then I noticed the begining signs of a  yeast infection (down there) and a friend told me that I could an an overgrowth of yeast in my body and that could be a sign of infection as well. So should I seek doctor advice and treatment?
I had a tummy tuck done about 2 years ago and every no wand then I get this funny smell from my belly botton. I noticed that it comes around when ever my period is not normal so it leads me to believe that it has something to do with hormones. I takes two showers a day and it seems worst after the showers as if the steem from the hot shower triggers it. I thought that I was the only one with this problem. I use a q-tip dipped in alcohol to clean mine and it helps a bit.
I have been having a problem with my smelly belly button ever since I had my daughter 9 months ago. Now that I am reading everything listed above I do think it is mainly around the time of my period that I notice it. One day it was so bad I stuck my finger in to feal if there was an absess (abscess) or something and there was white - yellow puss inside. It made me think that maybe it was an infection of some sort however I feel no pain.
http://www.oprah.com/health/oz/oz_20070426_350_108.jhtml

this is interesting
I have the same problem and my gp told me to use daktacort cream and this has done the trick xx
I too am overweight and have problems with an odor from my belly button along with a slight liquid sometimes. It does seem weight is a common denominator...interesting. I also have a lot of female problems and noticed some others of you do as well so it makes me wonder if its connected. It is nice to know there are others who share this disturbing problem!! Thanks girls.
I noticed this problem shortly after I had my tubes tied but they weren'ttied thru my belly button I had an c-section and that was the way they were tied I ask an doctor about it and I was told alot of women who get there tubes tied experience this and it is nothing to worry about!  But I don't feel good about that. It is on and off!
I had the same thing going on in my navel.  All sorts of yucky stuff and this awful smell.  It started after my endoscopic surgery.  Dealt with it for years.  The nurses all said to use alcohol to swab it out, but that never seemed to work for long.  Only thing that did was to get prego.  I guess 4 months of being REALLY open aired it out.  (Not that I was prego for only 4 months, just only big open belly button...)  Good luck, and as you can see lots of people have this issue.
I also have a smelly belly button it has always been that way but mine is a little different then everyone else. My belly button has a really bad odor and it hurts to touch on the inside. Right now it has been inflamed its really red inside and hurts to touch around it like when I wear my jeans. Mine has been like this ever since I remember. I has always hurt to touch inside but never has been as red or as sore on the outside. Any one have any ideas why it would hurt?
i was reading about this problem on a couple of sights and i would recomend that you do a google search for belly button hernia and also think seriously about going to the doctor.
hi, i have a smelly stinky belly button plus a rash on top of it, since i had a tubal ligation done the end of october this year.  i was told to keep it clean, dry it with a hair dryer and put some ointment on the rash.
i never had problems before until after the surgery.
either the cut in the belly opened up again after scratching it or it didn't heal well, i am a big girl and that doesn't help matters either.
i am sure it will heal one day all the way, but YES it is not very pleasant.
I see many of us have a similar experience. I had it years ago where the button hole stunk, It had returned after several years of without scent, but about a year ago I had gained a bit of weight after an injury and started to get a minor irritation in the lint catcher. I noticed the lint trapped was hard and a bit sticky and stunk worse than hell. After cleaning lint from button occasionally maybe once or twice a week, It seemed to be more and more often that it would be a gob of smelly sticky fur like an animal had died inside. I had been cleaning more often dumping liquid soap into button hole, helps for awhile but not forever, sometimes gets tender and oily, I often wondered if something was coming from inside the guts. I cleaned out the outfit yesterday and was fine but had an itch tonight and about gagged from the gut ****, So I looked it up finally and found the rest of the smelly belly button club, Thank you for making me feel welcome.
I think your explaniation is best.
I am 63 and have had no tubes tied,no operations,just over weight by 25 lbs.
When I loose weight because of dietebets it stops so it is attributed it to weight and yes I WILL ask  my dr. and bring this bulletin board to her.
She is my endroconolgists,and a specialist at Uconn Health Center.
Mine is raw and red as sannelle's so now I have a reason to do something about it.
Thanks everyone for the support on this subject.
I love the internet,Jbuick44
12-23-07   Merry Christmas everyon and happy holidays to all.
Thank you so much also,: Candance500 ...I just went to the site and  you might be right also.
We need more support in matters that apply to us. We all are getting a nice wake-up call to our health,
again TY All.
jbuick44
ophrahealth site,and more on this subject
I have noticed mine for some time and didn't think about to ask.  But as my husband was going down on me one day I got so embarrased so I asked a friend of mine that works in surgery, she said it might be something called Imbilical Hernia and that there are a lot of cases of them, so I will be going to my doctor tomorrow.  I can smell it on my high pants, underwear or shirts, it's sensitive to the touch at times while I'm cleaning it, and mine looks red inside.  Hope some of this has helped, research the Hernia and go ask your doctor about it if it still worries some people.  XOXOXO's  Rosanne  
hi every1 am just so glad that i found this site or i neva wud av dun anything bowt my smelly belly button apart from clean it i am 18 and in the last year av gained a lot of weight, i av only noticed this horrendous smel in the past month i wil b going straight 2 my doctor on monday fink i myt av dat hernia thanks very much 2 all those hu share the same problemi feel normal for once.
thankyou 4 making me feel normal, i have a few things in common with every one whom has responded to what has turned out to be a common complaint thanks.Ive also notice it more noticeable around my period, i can not recall having problem before my family and to the ladies whom are concerned its because of a weight condition, relax iam not over weight and still suffer from same condition but i will admit iam not one 4 baring much skin i live in jeans pants etc..  so thanks maybe now and then i will air out my navel area and keep up the cleaning and medicated creams. Again thanks to everyone 4 making me feel iam not the only only one that its a common complaint. xxx karen
Im only 17 and Ive had this problem for about 2 years now.
but its been getting horribly bad lately. It comes and goes, but it wont seem to go away now. Im not "heavy" but I have a bit of a big belly. The smell has been getting really really bad after i eat any meals and its awful. I clean my belly button every day when I shower and even clean it out with a Q-tip and it wont go away. I really thought that I was the only one, and I was afraid to tell anyone about it. But Im so happy that I am not the only one. Ive read everything you guess have to say and I will try a few of your ideas. I have some sea salt that I use to clean my lips rings and it really works and makes them not smell so I might try that. if it works Ill let you know. Thanks for the help.
:]
:]
my belly button started to smell when i was pregnant. i figured it would go away after my pregnancy and my son is two years old now  and it still smells horrible.  so i just clean it out with an alcohol swab.  i went to the doctor and she didnt seem to care.
I just turned 19 and I started noticing my belly button started to smell a few months back. I didnt know what was going on. I asked my friend/roommate if hers was like that. She said no but maybe I should clean it with alcohol so i did but that didnt work. I havent been to the doctor sine like 9th grade and I am a freshman in college now. It doesnt smell really loud but if I am like just rubbing my finger in it then i smell it. And when I clean it with a q-tip there's like brown discharge on it. I don't know what to do. My doctor isnt even here he's in my hometown. Any suggestion? Please help. My e-mail is ***@****
I am a man and have the same issue.  I am overweight and diabetic.  I noticed my girlfriend pausing and taking a whiff when she went down on me one day and I am very embarrassed by this.  Iam always washing and blow drying and does not seem to go away.
I have the same problem, I'm 41 but the only thing is I have 3 kids and my oldest son is fine but my daughter and my youngest son both have the same problems. Mine didn't start til after I had my daughter. Here I thought we were the only ones. I keep mine cleaned out with alcohol, but it BURNS. I'd like to know what causes it. My oldest son has an inny belly button, we don't. Don't know if that has anything to do with it or not. ~T~
Hi guys,

I have suffered from the same thing since i was a teenager i am now 24 and i have it all the time. I just have to keep it clean all the time. Sometimes its even good not use any substance and just a clean dry tissue or cotton bud. I too carry more weight than i should but i notice that when i diet and loose the weight that that it goes away. So now i try to keep a very healthy diet and drink lots of water.
I know the answer!

I used to have that kind of issue, but now I have the solution. Olive oil! It's really good and natural. Don't use any chemical thing to clean your belly hole that will hurt you, since your belly hole is still accecced to your stomach. And if you cleaned so hard, you will had a stomachache.

How to: Use tissue or similar thing to dip into the olive oil, then use it to clean your belly hole.

You can use other oil too, but olive oil has a strong smell that can remove the stinky smell. On the other hand, it has the function of clean, so it can remove the dirty thing and bacterias. In China, we believe olive oil is "warm" oil, so it can reduce the chance to have a stomachache. If you still have, that's ok, drink some hot coffee and the next day the symdrom will disappear!

If you would like to know more please contact me at ***@****
I too have had the same problem of a smelly belly button for years.  I'm 55 and when I was a little girl once mom asked me if I had had my hands down my pants (it smelled like poop) and I don't think she believed me when I told her it was my belly button that I had just cleaned the "crust" off of it.

Mine too gets a yellowish/brown discharge that dries to a crust and is smelly.  I also have an "Inny"., have had a C-section, tubes tied, and a hysterectomy, and am a little overweight.  But remember I had this as a child and was never overweight then.

I did ask mom recently if there was a problem with my belly button when I was born and she said that it "wasn't healing properly" and that she had to take me back to the doctor shortly after I was born and he painted it with Silver Nitrate then and sent me home.

You might want to check with your mothers (if available) and see if there was a problem with the cord when you were born.
i had this problem for years! i am certain its a kind of thrush, and what cured mine was to drink probiotic drinks twice a day everyday and it doesnt happen anymore, i know this works because when i stop the probiotic drinks my belly button problem returns
hello guys,

i have just read everyone's entries and like all yourselves, i suffer from the awful smell and gunk from the belly button.
i am an overweight 21 year old and my belly fat rolls up so the belly button doesn't get any air to it and makes it damp and moist and very smelly.
i used to have a belly button piercing but took it out after 2 months cos my body rejected it and now the hole has closed up but there is a huge red rash and scab above it and sore red thrush-like symptoms around the inner belly button. it itches and is very sore.
i went to the doctors and was diagnosed with fungal infection and they prescribed me an antifungal cream called daktacort (you can purchase on internet 15g for £5).
the cream has helped immensely.
to avoid the smell coming back, shower daily and always clean the belly button out and make sure you dry it properly.
also try sprinkling some 'mycil powder' around the hole to stop it from sweating. normal talcum powder is fine but because mycil powder treats athlete's foot and fungal infection, it could be the better option to get rid of nasty infections and odors. (£3 from chemist for large tube).
hope this helps!

kim xx
For years on and off my belly button has smelled.  I do have a ring, but even before I got it it smelled sometimes... I think the solution is simple... MAKE SURE YOUR BELLY BUTTON IS DRY BEFORE putting clothes on.  I started to really pay attention to what was happening when my belly button was smelly... Its usually when Im in a rush and I get dressed as soon as I get out the shower.  I think it's the lack of air and the water.  And Im not overweight so I don't think that has anything to do with it... Im glad to know that Im not alone. Tonight when I got home from work I had the smelly button and the crust..and today I got dressed as soon as I came out of the shower. So Im pretty sure thats what it is.
Hope this helps all u walking around with smelly belly buttons :)
IT'S YEAST!  We all have yeast on our bodies - these little crevices that don't get aired out regularly have a tendency to create these wonderful little environments for yeast to take over when our body chemistry changes ever so slightly.  It's no big deal unless the skin starts breaking down - keep it clean and dry.
today i notice from the first time my bell button smelly and it scared me i told my husband it was from us having sex..am happy other people have this problem because i was just about to go crazy.and thank god for the computer everyone gave me good feed back even talk show had something about this.
I feel so much better after reading this. My belly button smells around the time I'm about to have a period. From reading all the posts I see other women have the same problem. I'm going to still talk to my doctor but I'm glad to know I'm normal.
I too suffer from this problem!  Im glad to hear that Im not the only one. I was so worried and tried to check other sources on line but came up with no information. To everyone who thinks it will help to air it out, From the time I get out the shower until Im ready to to get dressed to leave Im naked which is normally more than an hour sometimes up to 2 hours,every day!   I do my hair and make up while Im naked and put clothes on right before I have to leave, This does not help!  Doesn't help me any how!  This  is so unfortunate. I want to go see a doctor but at the same time Im scared too. I even work in the medical field. I think thats why Im so nervous about it. I am also over weight, And I too have issues with my menstral cycle ( I dont regularly have one sometimes only 3 a year). If any one gets a straight answer pleasse keep me informed. Thanks, and good luck to all of us!
i cant believe there are so many people with the same problem as me, i have had a very strong smell from my belly button for years and i cant remember when it started.  My boyfriend can even get the smell from it which is very embarrasing.  it is awful. it is great to see websites like this that can help people with solutions to problems like this that normally we would have to speak to doctors about which can be so embarrasing. good luck to everyone.
my girlfriend's belly button smells.  I make her wash it every time she has a bath but the smell doesn't go away, I have entered this site to help her get help...when she puts her finger in there, and pulls it out it the smell is so bad, there is no word to describe how it actually smells.  Please help us to get rid of this rancid smell??????????
I have this problem also! I have an 'inny' and notice that the smell seems to come and go, particularly around my period... I had the coil fitted a couple of years back and although the smell was there before it has gotten worse... and its generally around my period.
I too am a little overweight, but do remember having this problem vaguely at college when I wasnt.
Glad to know Im not the only one and will try out some of your suggestions!
i know this happens to everyone with deep belly buttons, it runs in my family too, i guess its something to tease  my brothers  and sisters about...lol... they like to make fun of each other with their stiky belly buttons,hahahah!! i dnt know why mines dnt smell but i think i have the answer to this problem, it just happen with those who have deep belly buttons!! my brother of twenty four three years old have a very big problem with his belly button, he complains alot and tried alot of different things trying to get rid of the smell, but is not like  people can smell it but is just that he likes picking on his belly button and smell it, so  told him not to pick on it again just let it be maybe its just a part of a body that deserves that kinda smell not including our private parts haahah!! just try to wash it everytime you're showering, use a piece of clothing put soap of any kind on it wet it and use your pinky to pick on every side of your belly button and wash it out, wash out the soap and deep it in again so make sure theres no soap in your belly button, try doing this everytime you took a bath or shower and eventually you wont smell it again!! trust me its what i do and it works for me and i bet it will for you..lol.. good luck with that!!!!!!
I had Helicobacter pylori. the antibiotics i took for this seemed to get rid of my smelly belly button. might be related. I am also overweight
I noticed my belly button smelt a few years ago, i though at the time i must have had a bit of a infection as it went away after a few days. its been off and on since then, i have recently been told i have pcso, so after losing some weight to help my symptoms, ive noticed that my belly button hasnt smelt since. losing weight does help.
I have this same discharge and smell in my belly button, however, the skin on the inside of the belly button split as if it were a surgical inscision. I went to see a doctor and was told that my umbilical cord was not tied off properly when I was born and it is leaking urine through the belly button. She says I need surgery, but through antibiotic creams, the belly button healed. However, if I do not keep gauze in my belly button, it splits again. I call it my belly plug and as long as I use one, it no longer splits and it absorbs the discharge and odor.
I was watching Oprah the other day, a guest on the show also had this problem, and Dr. Oz stated that this was probably a Cysts inside the belly button.  I am so glad I am not the only one with this problem.

Hi!  I just recently have had a bump below my belly button that hurts when pressure is on it and when I squeeze it, this thick white stuff comes out of the belly button.  I had a hysterctomy 2 yrs. ago, and they went thru there, so could this be the problem?  ANYONE with an idea what's up with this?
I have a very deep belly button that has been infected several times over the past 7/8 years.  Oddly, it seems to be set off by travel - I suppose sitting in the plane and dealing with jetlag affect my body chemistry, which functions as a trigger of some sort.  In any case, I went to see many doctors - some gave me creams, some told me to leave it alone, some told me that it was my fault for poking around too much.  I never saw blood in my navel, but I did have a strange, off-white discharge with a foul odor.

The infection always cleared up eventually but it was bothersome, uncomfortable, and embarrassing.  I thought I was alone until I came across this posting.  

I wanted to share the best remedy I have found in my years of dealing with this inconvenient (but ultimately, not very serious) condition.  Stop with all the harsh products.  If you have a deep belly button, the skin down there is sensitive and putting hydrogen peroxide or rubbing alcohol in it, is more likely to aggravate the symptoms than it is to cure them.  Also, stop sticking q-tips and cotton balls down there, they can leave behind traces of cotton that can also aggravate your condition.  I was annoyed when one doctor told me this, but, I often noticed that my problem seemed to get worse if I attacked too aggressively.  

What has worked best for me is to take a glass of warm salt water and place the glass over my belly button.  I swish it around for awhile with the glass held over the navel, than pour some of the liquid from the glass into my navel; then I swish what's left in the glass around again and drain all the contents of the glass into and over my navel area.  Finally, I take the shower head and very quickly rinse the area, careful to make sure that I don't rinse all the salt water out of my belly button.  When I get out of the shower, I take a piece of toilet paper and pat my navel, to make sure excess moisture is absorbed.  I DO NOT STICK ANYTHING IN TO MAKE SURE IT'S DRY.  

Within a few days (one week max), this is sure to clear up any problems (unless they are more serious).  It's the best way I've found to combat recurring belly button infections, and it makes sense that it works.  Salt water is a gentle disinfectant that won't upset the delicate balance of your body's chemistry.  

This has worked consistently and well for me.  

I hope it helps someone else out there.  

Good luck.
b.b.

I too am happy I found this site!  For the past couple of months I have had the dreaded "stinky belly button" and was I embarrassed!  I tried baby powder, a q-tip with antibacterial soap, today I even sprayed FDS feminine spray around it to keep it at bay.  I spoke with a nurse and she confirmed that it was more than likely a yeast infection and that keeping it clean and dry was the best way to combat it.  She told me to only worry if anything became red and itchy, and that it was sooooo common!  She also confirmed that I shouldn't stick anything into my belly button, that a washcloth soaked in warm soapy water would work wonders, and to keep using the body powder as necessary.  
My belly button doesn't smell but it's red inflammed and hurts. It's painfull to touch. It happened a month ago and I cleaned it out with alcohol but it hasn't worked this time. I have lost 40 lbs. I do feel a small bulge under my belly button. I've looked on Webmd for the umbilical hernia but there isn't much about in adults. Does anyone know another website?
Yes, I am a long standing member of this club.  I still haven't found a solution.

The doc took a swab and it has been declared an anaerobic bacteria (no yeast/fungus).

It has spontaneously stopped when I am thinner.

This last time it was trigger by my boyfriend lovingly kissing my belly button ...

DO NOT USE ALCOHOL SWABS.
I tried this once and what it did was put a crust over the discharge.  I was so happy because I thought I had finally gotten rid of it.  3 days later by stomach was swollen, red and inflamed.  It was painful to move or site.  I went for ultrasounds etc (really scary).

Eventually, "the crust" broken and all the discharge (normally white or pale yellow) came out.  It was dark brown (almost black).  It oozed in huge big globs for about 3-day.

The infection continued to build up behind the crust.

Be very very very cautious about the solutions that you try.

My experience was horrendous.

Now, it clean thoroughly, dry out with Qtip and anti-bacterial cream and then put 1/2 a sheet of toilet paper to avoid leakage.

Off to get a swab tomorrow, hopefully they will give me some anti-biotics that will remove the problem ...
hi, im 18 and i noticed a bad smell from my belly button a few years ago.  it doesnt smell straight away, but if i rub my finger into it, it begins to smell, i cant even sit with myslf when it begins to smell as bad as it does. i never went to the doctor as i was too embaressed, instead, after showering and drying it out completly i use a little bit of deodrant in it. not spray deodrant, but a little bit of roll on deodrant, like dove. i put a tiny bit on my finger and rub aroung the edge of my belly button, making sure i dnt go all the way in because that can cause problems. i hope my advice helps, because since ive been doing this my belly button doesnt discharge and doesnt smell!!! even if my boyfreind tries to chew it off!!  
I am sooo glad i found all these comments, my belly button has been like this for ages, i am very slim but had a big jelly belly so had a tummy tuck i mentioned this smelly belly button to my surgeon just in case it complicated things he said make sure u keep it dry and clean and when he did the surgery he said he wud shorten the stork so it was not soooo deep but guess what i got my period today and its leaking and smelly then crusting then leaking i've just left a meaasage on my surgeons voicemail i was soooo worried, i'm just hoping this is normal and not something gone wrong with my tummy tuck, i'll let u all know when i get to c him xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I looked at this website when I was having a problem with a foul smelling discharge from my belly button.  I tried all of the things everyone else has (but didn't go to the MD).  I have found an extremely simple solution to the problem I had.

Unless you have a physical deformity or reason for your navel to become infected, it is probably a "yeast-like" substance that grows because of the warmth and moisture of the navel.  

The one thing that cures yeast-like infections is yogurt with active cultures (which is in more store brand yogurts).  Eat a container of yogurt everyday until it's gone and then a couple of times a week to keep it from returning.  If you don't like the taste of yogurt, you can apply it directly, but I cannot guarantee that will be as effective because you just simply can't get a whole container in your navel!  So even if you don't like it, I recommend eating it anyway.  

Yogurt has also been shown to cure/prevent yeast infections in other areas of the body including the vagina.

If after eating yogurt for a week or so, the infection doesn't clear up - then go to the doctor and make sure some other therapies aren't needed.

So eat up and be healthy everyone!!!
My doctor told me that she sees this in both very slim and very overweight people and that she is seeing this more often.  Use salt water only to clean your belly button.  According to my doc this is nothing more than  an aggrevation but to someone who suffers with this it is more than that. I have had no adominal (abdominal) surgery nor do I have periods and I eat a lot of yogurt and it has not helped me.  I think this is just another affliction of women.
I have noticed similar symptoms to you all. I went to see a dr, and they think it might be an umbilical hernia. They looked in my belly button and said there was a tiny hole. Im going for an ultrasound on monday. I notice it is worse around my period, but has only happened twice... once 5 months ago and once now. I cannot see the hole, so it must be tiny and deep in there. I'm a bit scared because I don't want to have surgery, but they said they might be able to just put a stitch on it. has anyone had surgery for an umbilical hernia??
So, I apparently have a very deep bellybutton, which in my case has nothing to do with weight (I have a pretty average build). But I have had occasional bellybutton infections before, which are painful and gross.

Usually--even without an infection--there is some amount of odor to my bellybutton. Not a ton like some of the others here have posted, but enough to annoy me!

The advice I received from my doctor was actually to avoid getting it wet if possible, and definitely not to get soap and other cleansing agents in it. Keeping things dry as possible is key! So anyway, I'm not sure what to make of the advice some of you are reporting here--you might want to be careful which remedies you try.

Anyway, I am nine months pregnant right now, and my bellybutton is SO deep that I still have an innie! Isn't that crazy? Most pregnant ladies I know, their bellybuttons disappear in pregnancy or even turn into outies. But not me.

What's interesting is that my bellybutton is now more of a normal size. As it's been sort of unfolding open, I've had the very unusual opportunity to clean up some of the crud that's been caked in there forever.

Tonight, I was doing more of the same and getting some yuckiness out, when I saw something. It looks like I have a very small cyst or polyp in there! It's a little growth of skin, very tiny, but very much attached to the inside wall of my bellybutton. I am wondering if the occasions on which I've had actual infections have had to do with the existence of this little tag of flesh and perhaps it getting irritated or something.

Anyway, if I *weren't* nine months pregnant, I wouldn't be able to see it. But unfortunately, because I'm nine months pregnant, I'm not exactly in a position to run out to a doctor and ask about having it looked at/removed.

Has anyone else got any experience with learning they have a cyst or polyp or whatever you call it in their bellybutton? Maybe this is something I can have a doctor look at in a few months.... Hmmm. Because if it IS the source of the actual painful infections, I want it GONE, you know? :)

hi,
iv had my belly button pierced 7 months ago but the previous 3 months iv been experincing clear odourless discharge and somr bleeding. Im really fed up of cleaning and checking on my belly ring every hour, is there any medication that'll help reduce the discharge?
I think that like any other ailment, the stinky belly button can be caused not only by one, but several factors.  The main problem is having a deep belly button, or one that gets little air (due to being overweight or other such factors as tight unbreatheable clothing).  Yeast, fungus, and anaerobic bacteria are all possible causes, depending on the person.  Anaerobic bacteria thrive in spaces with little or no oxygen.  Yeast and fungus like moist environments.  People with deep belly buttons or ones that have a lot of fat or clothing covering their belly buttons have a higher chance of harboring the organisms.  Unless you can get a culture, it's hard to pinpoint what organism is causing your belly button distress. If you do find out what organism is in there, you can then treat it accordingly, i.e., antibiotics, yogurt, etc.  Another thing that helps harbor those organisms is when your immune system becomes compromised somehow, i.e., due to stress, medication, or other illness, it is not able to fend off the "bad" organisms as well, so they can easily proliferate on your body.  Also, a change in the body's pH, even slightly, can help the microbes to grow.  This may be the case for those of you who experience the stinkiness around the time of your period, as your body's pH changes slightly.  It's also possible for stinky belly buttons to be caused by an umbilical hernia, cysts, or other cuts/abrasions in the hole.  Each person is different, and because there are so many reasons for infections to occur, there is no one explanation for the stinky belly button syndrome.  I hope this helps a little.  I, too, have a stinky belly button, but it doesn't sound as severe as most people's.  I am not overweight, but I have a deep belly button, and I am on immunosupressants.  What I find helps is I gently, and I do mean gently, clean most if not all the crust inside my belly button, then swab with a q-tip dipped in alcohol only when it starts to stink really bad.  I would not recommend this for everyday, as alcohol is toxic to your cells, and can actually aggravate your belly button.
I have been over weight for many years but only this year have i had problems with my belly button. But it only comes on maybe once every 6-8 weeks. When i do have this, i get white puss on the inside, yellow puss coming out and a dry crust forming around the edge. It gets very itchy and a little painful sometimes when i bend over (like when i tie shoe laces). It seems as if it may be a weight issue, but as i said ive been over weight for many years and this has only come on this year?!?! I have been to the doctor and have had swobs done, everything is normal, no fungal infections, nothing. Although my doctor still gave me a cream. Works a treat.
Yes i too have a crusty smelly belly button, i have found that tea tree oil does help, it dries it up and its natural!
I was watching that new show Dr.'s and they brought up the issue of smelly belly buttons with discharge. It can mean that you have an intestinal infection so it should be looked at.
OMG im so pleased im not alone with my stinky button lol

i started to notice mine after having a section with my 3rd child at first i thought i had had an accident but couldnt understand as i knew i hadnt trumped or owt. then a few weeks after having the op i noticed  my belly button was a bit weepy, so i cleaned it out and there was the smell again. its been 3 years now and i cant take it anymore, no matter how many times i wash it out it still smells bad i get paranoid others will smell it and think im unclean. im at the end of my tether trying to find something to get rid of it perminantly, but its nice to know im not the only one having this problem. ive been to scared to go to the docs with it as its quite embarresing but im going to mention it next time i go to see if they can give me something for it.

thanks ladies
The following is from an emedicine article.  It is very technical, but it demonstrates that there are many different possibilities for the problems you are having:  

"Patients with umbilical disorders present with drainage, a mass, or both. Most umbilical disorders result from failure of normal embryologic or physiologic processes. Unusual umbilical anatomy, such as a single umbilical artery or abnormal position of the umbilicus, may be associated with other congenital anomalies or syndromes.

Omphalocele and gastroschisis, which are common abdominal wall defects associated with the umbilicus, are discussed in other eMedicine articles (see Omphalocele and Gastroschisis). Masses of the umbilicus may be related to lesions of the skin, embryologic remnants, or an umbilical hernia. Masses associated with the skin include dermoid cysts, hemangiomas, and inclusion cysts. Umbilical drainage is associated with granulomas and embryologic remnants.

Delayed separation of the umbilical cord: The umbilical cord usually separates from the umbilicus 1-8 weeks postnatally. Topical antimicrobials are usually applied after delivery, followed by isopropyl alcohol until cord separation. Delayed separation may signify an underlying immune disorder.

Umbilical granuloma: Granulation tissue may persist at the base of the umbilicus after cord separation. The tissue is composed of fibroblasts and capillaries and can grow to more than 1 cm. Umbilical granulomas must be differentiated from umbilical polyps, which do not respond to silver nitrate cauterization.

Umbilical infections: Patients with omphalitis may present with purulent umbilical discharge or periumbilical cellulitis. Although infections may be associated with retained umbilical cord or ectopic tissue, in the past, infections were often related to poor hygiene. Current aseptic practices and the routine use of antimicrobials on the umbilical cord have reduced the incidence to less than 1%. Cellulitis may become severe within hours and progress to necrotizing fasciitis and generalized sepsis.

Omphalomesenteric remnants: Persistence of all or portions of the omphalomesenteric duct can result in fistulas, sinus tracts, cysts, congenital bands, and mucosal remnants. Patients with mucosal remnants can present with an umbilical polyp or within an umbilical cyst.

Urachal remnants: The developing bladder remains connected to the allantois through the urachus. Remnants of this connection include a patent urachus, urachal sinus, and urachal cyst. Umbilical polyps can also be observed in association with a urachal remnant.

Umbilical hernia: Umbilical hernias result when persistence of a patent umbilical ring occurs. Umbilical hernias may spontaneously close, but many require surgical repair.2"
I am so glad I'm not the only one with this problem.  About 2 years ago I noticed a horrible smelling clear discharge from my bellybutton.  It lasts about a week, crusts up, then goes away for a couple weeks.  It is absolutely repulsive.  I have always been average weight, very healthy, and have not been pregnant for 7 years.  I have tried cleaning and drying it really well but that doesn't help.  In thinking I was irritating it, I've tried leaving it alone but that didn't help either.  I don't understand why this would suddenly happen to me 2 years ago out of nowhere.  I read the tea tree oil suggestion so I will try that.  If that doesn't help, I suppose I will have to put aside my embarassment and see a doctor.
I'm so happy to find this site I've had so many tragedies lately that I about come unglued when I found a discharge coming from my belly button that was part blood,black junk,and milky white discharge and sore also red I thought something may have been ruptured or it was a sign of cancer.I see I can calm down that its not life threatening but that I still need to see my doctor to see what it might be.I've never had this problem till a few months ago when I started losing weight only the sore belly button and to beat it all I don't have a deep belly button at all its rather shallow but since I started losing weight its gotten deeper so that maybe why the discharge has started more room now for water to settle into I guess.But I'm happy I found this website it has eased my fears greatly.  
Wow... I am completely shocked like everyone else that so many of us have the same embarassing problem... my stinky button happens off and on and i havent really tried to correlate it with any other monthly magic, i have an average athletic body and i shower regularly... however i think stress has alot to do with my issue, if thats even possible...  school started this past week and to my suprise i found i am having a bout with the funk... this time it is red and irritated looking... i got kind of worried but now that i see others have expirenced this as well i will just continue to keep the area dry and clean... i found putting a band-aid over a little piece of cotton ball helps keep the smell at bay. Granted we all know not to put anything in our craters, however, i think this can be granted an exception to the rule... Good Luck taming that beast ladies and its good to know nothing is mortally wrong with me... I can now claim my smelly belly with a smile thanks to you girls!!!  
same thing happens to me, and i am really shocked to see soo many people with the same troublr. i was not even able to read all the posts there are soo many of them. what i have noticed is this happens either when you are loosing some weight or gaining some weight. As i was going to gym last month and there was nothing as i stopped going to gym the smelly fliud is back ,,, i think i have to consult a doctor as no posts tells the exact solution or you can say i am not satisfied.
I have had a smelly belly button on and off for years.  Sometimes I also get pain internally around the belly button area.  Sometimes it gets red and inflamed and has gunk inside.  I seem to have a really deep almost never-ending belly button!  Anyway I find just putting some savlon on a q-tip inside the belly button does the trick.  

I am going to ask my doctor about it anyway because I think I may have allergies to certain foods such as wheat and I believe Thrush and Wheat infections both relate to Candida bacteria which an excess of can cause Thrush?

Wow so many people with the same problem...whew thought it was only me...I am a little overweight but I have also noticed it is more noticable after having sex or around time for my period...I asked my doctor and he said it was more than likely yeast caused by not enough air getting to my belly button and told me to try eating yogurt..Even though I hate yogurt I did eat it till it went away and I eat one cup of yogurt once a week and it seems to keep it cleared up.
I am a guy with the same problem. I think part of the reason is that I had my gall bladder out a few years ago and for the operation they put a tube through the belly button, so it isn't nearly as open as it used to be, in fact its become just a deep smelly crack. I don't usually notice the smell because it is so closed off to the outside air, and I forget to wash it. But my God, if I put my finger there or happen to be in a position in which it comes open - smells like something died in there! I found alcohol makes it sting too much. Liquid soap and then a little oil helps for a while. Mostly, I just have to remember to wash and dry it I guess.I have a lot of trouble with fungal infections in the skin, so maybe I should try some of the cream I have for that too.
Oh I am so pleased I am not alone here!!!  How fascinating! I have suffered for quite a few months now, and thought it was only me!!! Too frightened to go to the docs, so I decided to search for any ideas. and found this site. Thank you.  I am only 7lbs overweight, have not had my tubes tied or any other operations.  I have been overweight, but have lost over 2 stone, but did not have the smelly belly button problem until  nov 08!  I will try the cream someone suggested. I eat yogurt most days, so am already doing that bit!  Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you all so much for sharing.
After reading many of the comments on here, there was one thing that has not been mentioned (not that I noticed, anyway). I have the same problem and suspect that it's a nickel allergy. I always get an odor after wearing jeans with metal buttons. And many of you mentioned surgeries and or piercings, which according to the sites I found, can lead to overexposure to nickel and thus the sensitivity. Other than attempting to buy nickel-free items, you can use clear fingernail polish to coat the  buttons, sew on different (wood/plastic) buttons, or buy a nickel-testing kit to find out if the items you possess contain nickel. I haven't tried any of these yet, but it seems the fingernail polish seems to be an easy solution to try. I can't wait to try it and hope it works, because it's such a disgusting and embarrassing problem... I hope this helps at least a few of you out there!
I am a nursing student to so listen.

if you are having any discharge (drainage) with a foul odor, with green, yellow, thich drainage or any coloration you have an INFECTION.go to the doctor! if this infection gets into any open area on your skin, you will get very sick, it will get into your blood!!!!!

Second of all, you are having any pain moving, on your abdomen, GO TO THE DOCTOR, if you are having sharp pains, GO TO THE DOCTOR. note what you were doing, eating, what postion made the pain stop. IF YOU ARE HAVING UPPER stomach pain GO TO THE EMERGENCY ROOM especially if you are unable to stand up atraigh and if pain is only relieved by bending your leg when laying falt, this indicated that you may have appendicitis

THRID.

DONT TOUCH YOUR BELLY BOTTON. IF YOU INSIST ON REMOVING ANY IRRIATNT DO THIS:

take peroxide NOT ALCOHOL, and get a q- tip and saw inside and around your belly bottom, if you are having pain doing so STOP B/C THIS MEANS THERES AN OPEN AREA CAUSING THIS PAIN.

YOU CAN POUR THE PEROXIDE INSIDE THE BELLY BOTTOM, USE A COTTON SAW TO DRY it TOUGHLY. then call the dr. and tell him youre concerned and want him to look at it.

DONT TOUCH YOUR BELLY BOTTON, LEAVE IT ALONE.
Im a male and I have the same problem. I have a discharge from my belly button that comes and goes. It usually is a light discharge but sometimes heavy. Its a mixture of light pink blood with gunky, puss looking liquid with a really bad infectious smell. Ive had this for over 10 years now but it only happens for a week or two and goes away for months at a time. I get a little pain there too. I had two of my doctors (gastro doc and general doc) look at it and they dont seem to think it is anything serious. My gastro doc sent me to a micro surgeon and he basically said it was a common thing from birth where the belly button never really healed properly from the umbilical cord. He cleaned it out and caterized (spelling?) it. This was last year. since then, it has happened twice. I was laying in bed last night and happened to pass my hand across my stomach and felt crust. I used cotton balls and found the smelly gunk with some blood again. Im not sure if I really beleive that its just a birth thing because its smells like an infection and there is blood. I actually feel mentally out of it when this happens and a little weak it times. Not sure if its related to it but it seems like it is. I have a doctors appointment tomoro with a new doctor and that will be my topic of discussion. Ill come back here to offer some more input after i see my doctor.
Hi Mike79,

I too am a male who suffers from this horrid, putrid stench. What I find works best is to dab a small amount (about 10 ml's) of hydrochloric acid into my belly button. Sure it burns a bit, but it is better than the embarrasment of having your wife tell you that she refuses to perform orally for you because the rotting stink of your wretched, disgusting and almost satanic smell is making her gag while she comes within inches of your stink pot. After the acid burn the smell seems to go away for quite a while. I only have to use it about twice a year now. Very much worth the discomfort of caustic liquid eating away the smelly skin to receive a moist, warm, heart felt bout of oral pleasure. If you can't find any hydrochloric acid, try using bromine.  
I have been to the doctor about this same thing last fall. I thought a green pool brought this brown/yellow discharge to a head. After a month I went to my primary and he gave me antibiotics and a script for some cream to apply. It didn't work at all. Matter of fact it seems worse at times now than it did in the beginning when it first happened after the pool. Oh the doc also said may be an abscess or a cyst.
I read mention of a weight issue? I too am over weight, but when I wasn't over weight while at work one night I took a  bathroom break (this was March in 1986) my belly button was really sore not a painful but a burning irritation sore. I to stuck my finger in there and pulled out a yellow plug like I don't know what, about an inch in length. I was grossed out. It looked like the filter of nasty yellowed cigarette butt. But I had no problems after that night until last fall when at night I sat in a green watered pool. I couldn't see it was green.
I frankly don't know what else to do. I had a taint of blood last week that left a dried ring in the morning.  I don't know but obviously if I found that plug when I was 70lbs smaller and fit as a fiddle I don't think we can say weight is a factor.
I'm a guy who was always skinny, but now at 28 from all the fun with my wife, I have begun eating regularly and a lot more than before, so my belly has started growing... I have the same problem, except the odor can only be felt when I smell the discharge closely. After reading Wikipedia, it seems it's simply because of increased internal stomach pressure. It's also likely from not drying it properly after shower, and getting dressed right afterwards, which I did yesterday for sure. Somehow yeast grows and produces the discharge.

Advice: Lose weight not gain it. Always dry your belly button after shower and clean it with alcohol or/and yeast disinfectant (leave it on).
I''ve had this for almost 3 years now, and have recently realized that I usually get it a week or 2 before my period. Honestly think it's somehow related to that. Every time it comes, it goes away after a week.. Have no idea why it happens tho ):
My belly button is always crusty.  It doesn't ever smell or anything, just always has crust in it. I normally try to pick it out and clean it because that is disgusting to me but then it just comes back within a couple days. What is going on?!
I have recently noticed that my belly button smells but in my case im not overweight, i had my bellybutton pierced but i took it out about 4 years ago, i have not had any surgery done, do not have any children. so i have no idea why it smells, i wash it out with cocoa butter body scrub in the shower it helps a little it doesnt smell as bad. i didnt really read on anybody talking about what the odor smells like but mine smells like a bad case of diarreah (diarrhea)
WoW Amazing I always thought I was like weird or something for having a smelly belly button and also having brown gunk in it. I have read most of the stories and they all say theyre overweight and I honestly believe thats the problem being overweight causes so many weird things in the body..I really hate this smell and when I stick my finger in my belly button it kinda hurts.
yeah i have always had this too.....im not over weight im actually pretty thin and i have an inny belly button ... it has always smelled but there is no discharge there is just sort of a crust that builds up if i dont clean it about once a week and the smell goes away for a few days if i clean it with alcohol ... i want to get rid of it but i dont know what it is or how to get rid of it nor what mehods to try.
Oh My Gosh.!!!! Thought I was the only one with this problem. A cure that worked for me is Tea Tree Oil. Recommended by a Friend in the Health Food Industry. I couldn't believe this. I tried EVERYTHING from alcohol to peroxide to powders, to scrubbing that hole raw with a Q-tip. Nothing worked. As you know, the smell is embarrassing...I poured a capful of Tea Tree Oil, which is also an antiseptic cleanser, into my navel, let it marinade for a few minutes, wipe with cotton ball or Q-tip, and the stench dissappeared. It hasn't reappeared yet, and thats been almost 5 Months. Thank you Lordy !!!!!!! Wish I had known about this 15 Years ago...  Hope this also works for You.!!!!
Mine gets like this occasionally and too am a bit overweight. I find pouring a little tcp into my bellybutton whilst lying down then leaving ii for 2-3 mins helps as it is an antiseptic. Also making extra effort to clean the area whilst in bath/shower. Hope this helps.
wow.  I feel such a kinship with y'all!  lol  I've had an issue with my itchy, red, crusty belly button on and off ever since I was a teenager.  (I'm 30 now)  Interestingly it disappeared for a few years and it just came back recently after I went swimming in a pool for the first time in years.  I think it must have thrown off the balance of my belly button flora or something.  I've been doing the tea tree oil for a day and I think it's helping... Glad to have found this discussion!  
This is the funniest thing in the world. Ive had this problem for the past year. I always wonder if my bf can smell it, I know I can.. haha. I always forget to google it and here i am tonight at the center of the stinky belly button club. I'm going to google the teat tree and see what that is. I've tried eveything and nothing works... I had a tummy tuck 5 years ago and i put on some weight and since then I nottice that it started to smell..
     The last time this happened to me I was 12.  My mother put a little anti-fungal cream (think yeast infection medicine) into my navel and it went away almost immediately.  I have not had the problem since, till just a few days ago.  I am 37 now.  Going to try the anti-fungal cream again to see if this clears it up.
     I should mention that my belly button does not hurt and is not really oozing anything ( I would go to the doctor for this) but it does smell really badly and is even a little itchy.  
     I am a bit over-weight and have recently started working out alot to shed a few pounds.  I wonder if all that extra sweat is the cause.  Bigger people do tend to sweat a little more.
I am glad I found you! Yes I am overweight even more so since I had my 4th child.My button stinks and has so for a while now it is even worse since I had a tubal threw my belly button.I am going to try the tea tree oil and see if that works.I have tried alcohol and it take sit away for a short time but it returns when it dries,I have tried dring well after washing  but it returns.It is kind of embarrassing because if I can smell it who else can.I am glad I am not the only one there seems to be a bunch of us.Good Luck to all!
I am so happy I found this site. I have problems with my belly button, with a yellow discharge, but unfortunatly I didnt read anyone with the same symptoms I have. I always have this isssue with my belly button, and shower once a day and dry my belly button completley. But when I get my period I have blood that comes out of my belly button. Its only when I have my period, otherwise I get the discarge of yuckynes. I am overweight but have had this problem when I was much thinner. I am puzzled by this because it dosent hurt.
I happened to have scratched my belly button the other night and scratched out some crusty brown smelly stuff. It smells like a period.  You know?  I am just ending my period now, so it must be related!  But I noticed some liquid/discharge and thought I had scratched my belly button open and my umbilical cord was leaking out or something haha. I am like fifteen pounds overweight so I started thinking about yeast infections, and I just by chance typed in "bellybutton discharge" into yahoo thinking it was a shot in the dark, but look at all these people with the same problem! I think Im gonna watch my diet and try to use some kind of antibacterial cream on my belly button. How silly is this problem!?
I too have  stinky belly button that comes and goes.  I have found that it is contributed to a body yeast infection.  I didn't know you could have body yeast infection until a few years ago when I had it under my big breasts, I have always had large breasts but never this problem until then.  Don't understand why or how, but it happens, maybe the body is weak and cannot fight it as good as it use to, who knows.  But the doctor told me I had body yeast infection, he said it could spread to other parts of your body if not taken care of .  So even if you have a vaginal yeast infection take care of it right away because that too can spread.  So after the medication the stinky belly button went away too.  Also I am borderline diabetic now and feel that is why my resistance that I had earlier in life is causing me to have these yeast infections.  It doesn't have to do with your weight, although I am heavy, it is A YEAST INFECTION and you need oral medication to get rid of it in you whole body.  
i have the same problem its like a smelly discharge in my belly button and i get it every day. Its only just started and i've never had it before. I dont have belly button peircings. I'm 17 years old. And i'm not overweight can anyone help?
I have the same problem for the past 10 years!! I thought I was the only person with this because no one would admit to sharing the same experience, so I had to face my doctor with this embarassing question as to why my belly smell.  I have an inny after showering, water gets trapped and moisture and sweat causes bacterial fungus.  Sometimes you will notice your belly feeling a bit itchy.  He prescribed Lotrisone Cream and it took care of the problem until it is that time of the month when women starts bloating and pushes the belly button out a bit causing water to trapped in the belly when the belly goes back to normal after your cycle.  If you don't want to go to the doctor's for a prescription, over the counter bacitracin works just as well. Place some on a clean qtip and clean your belly for 1-3 days, it will take care of the problem. Good Luck
hi people:)

I m glad that i foun this forum. I found many good explanation and i think i found what i was trying to find i just need the proof.
The thing is we have not excatly same thing that why it is very import to read carefully and find what is your exact problem. Here is my story i hope it will be helpfull to some of you.
  First of i want to mention i am 30 years old, i m not ovwerweight and i thin my bellybuttom  is not so deeo, i think it is quite ordinary. I have this for couple of years, dont know exactly how long because before i didnt paid attention. But this year it become worth, since i have it very often bow, before it was very seldom, therefore didint paid so much attention. But i have only terrible smell and my bellybuttom is redish and i get this discharge which dryies out later. So I dont have any pain, or irritation or anything, so nothing bothers me at all only terrible smell.
And i was diagnosed in Baku, i didnt belived the verdict (since i really didnt want the operation) and apparetly diagnose were correct.Adn i want to thank Fuzz, who had here mediccal artical, so my diagnose was:Urachal remnants, this smells is urine. And i was told it small operation to fix this.

And i just want to mention the doctor in Baku said this desease is occurs very seldom, Even though you see here a lot of people haveing the same problem still this is not much, so very are a seldom case.
But i didnt belive and wend to doctor in Norway, since i live here now. Diagnos here was fungal infection, i got a cream and used for 2 week nothing has changed.

Now i m going to print all the medical articles relevant to this and go to doctor again. Recomend to do the same!
good luck to every one and thnaks for you comments
i used to get that all the time, mainly like once a month and i hated lying with my boy friend because he would put his hand on my belly and i always got funny, but since i had an appendicitus my problem has gone, i think it was from the puss that was inside my body from my appendix. you may think about getting checked out because its been 5 months since i have had any problems touch wood it wont come back!

i hope it gets better. x
I had smelly navel discharge a week ago, I was really worried about it, I felt a little pain too, I went to my doctor and she said it was not that serious, its just a fungal infection so she gave me a cream called Neo Synalar, I applied it 2 times a day for 3 days and it was gone now. Hope it never go back again.
Hey  Guys,
Well for starters I am overly excited right now that I am not the only one with this problem. I used to be overweight well a lot more than I am now haha, and thats when i first noticed the problem. I got to say it is very embarrasing, if you work close with other people. The problem went away for me as soon as i lost some weight, yup it was like magic... But a few months later as I gained a few pounds like 5lb the problem is back... I also suffer from PCOS and have very irregular periods, I read that some people in here suffer from diabetes and that scares me. Maybe I should go see my Family Physician for this... Best of luck to all !
im glad i read this iv been very overweight for a few years and noticed the smell some time ago i use detol on a qtip and it gets rid of the smell for a week and i find it 2 be graduaLLY GETTING BETTER. I have another problem at d moment just above my vagina under d crease of my belly, i have a stinging red rash and the smell that comes from my belly button is coming from that also. would t b because im overweight and that area also dosnt get any air and i tend to sweat there this is really buging me as it unlike the bellybutton is VERY agitating i would really apreciate if someone could help me solve this problem thanks
Hi to you all suffering from a stinky belly button, it looks to me that there appears to be some correlation between PCOS and belly button odour and discharge, I suffer from pcos and am slightly over weight around the middle and it is a constant battle to care for the embarrassing odour from my navel I have had the most success from making sure I dont have a waistband too tight around my belly button and also I swim regularly and this really helps, aswell as dabbing some salt water soaked cotton into it   with no friction and making sure it is dried,

good luck girls
This "discharge" has happened twice to me so far. I just went into the restroom and saw it again..it starts with the very light brown crust and then when I stick my finger in there it a thick mucussy feeling! I have finally decided to look on the internet about it and found this site! I am so glad to know that I am not the only one with this nasty thing! I am 17 and am overweight and that's what I believed was the reason of the odor and discharge, but a lot of you had made me realize that it may not be the only factor!

My problem is that I am terribly self-conscous and do NOT want to go to the doctor so if anyone has been to the doctor and knows what this disgusting thing is...please please let me know!

Thank Ya'll so much!
i started having a smelly belly button when i was 4 months pregnant . now my daughter is 3 months and i still have that smell in there . during the pregnancy i didnt have any infections except for 1 month prior to birth i had a u.t.i [urinary tract infection] . and i was wondering what can make it go away? ive tried alcohol , washing it out everyday , blowdrying , and salt water . i dont know what else to try any new suggestions ?
Hi, I'm 21, I used to have this problem a few months ago, I  had it for quite a while as I was too embarrassed to see anyone about it.
I have quite a deep belly button, I had foul smelling discharge, some days it would be sore and when I tried to clean it, it sometimes bled.
Looking at info on various websites it pointed to a yeast infection. I used an anti fungal cream, I'm in the UK so I used Canesten 1% Cream (normally used for nappy rash, I'm not sure what the equivalent outside the UK would be). I would also use talcum powder to keep it dry. I used the cream 3 times a day, each time I applied it I also put talcum power lightly over the top to help keep it dry. And made extra care to dry it properly after showering or exercising. Even though after 2 week all signs of infection had gone, I carried on treating it for an extra week as I searched for info and a lot of sites said that the infection can stay around even though it looks like it's gone. I no longer have the infection, but I continue to use talcum powder to keep it dry.
Omg, I thought I was so weird for this...thank god for Internet and people asking questions...sheesh..I get this same exact problem. I am alittle over weight and I wear like 3 shirts everyday..when I fall asleep with them all on plus a hoodie, thats when the funk gets in there..So judging by what everyone has said here im thinkin its from sweat and lack of oxygen. Note to Self: dont wear sooo many layers all the time lol

Thanks guys!!
i was reading through earlier posts and would like to add that i have the same problem and have had it for years, i am not overweight, have never had an operation, or children. i clean my belly button every day in shower and dry it with a q tip. also noticed blood at times. i am now going to go to doc about the hernia thing... i was born with one so maybe that could be the issue.. and it stinks so bad.. only thing i noticed covers the smell for me is dettol..!! but it stings and hurts for hours after using this..

I have the same problem (off and on).  It seems to be worse having getting pregnant and gaining a lot of weight.  I found a really great link that offers great advice and help.
It's http://hubpages.com/hub/Belly-button-discharge
I really think this should be more of a focal area for research because there are just too many peeps with the same issue and unlike our ears that produce wax and are exposed to air and elements in the air~our belly buttons remain for the most part of the time covered.  I would be interested in learning if having an 'inny' button as opposed to an 'outty' has any signifigance in health issues.  Like one member I think named Mike said he does feel kinda weak at times when there is discharge and I also have noticed the same correlation but blew it off because I figured I'm twirling a toothpick in a very delicate area and honestly I don't want to have my guts start leaking out or something since it is such a 'mysterious' area.  And I'm beginning to think the doctors are only as good as their instructor and how dedicated they were to learn about the human body during college while cramming for exams and just getting through the hoops to get that piece of paper that says now you can dedicate sleepless nights as an intern.  You get my drift. We have to pull together as people with the same problem and formulate our own method to finding the cause(s) and connections and hopefully a cure to prevent it from reoccurring.  
i have this problem aswell :/
Its bugging me cos i always thought it was when i was on my period, but i went on the pill when i was 15 and is still a problem its getting worse and worse...
I am overweight but i have a healthy lifestyle and i am loosing weight gradually.
I do try and wash it everyday with anti-bacterial or salt water and does help a little but it does make me very self conscious.
I have this problem too, I sometimes get a sore bbutton the week before my period and i think it is sometimes due to the metal buttons on jeans and trousers - they irrate the skin. I use baby powder to keep the area dry.
I really dont think you should all just think that its normal or it will go away,b/c i had this problem for about a yr now and decided to go to the doc, i have to have surgery for a urethal cyst and a hernia, the doc said it's definately not normal to have leakage and it may be an infection also,you should probably look into it if it has been going on for awhile!!!
Hi Guys. I a overwieght and I get b/button probs. I have a solution that is cheap, simple and iradicates smell. Afterthe shower and that must be every day, dry the area with a q tip very gently so as not to disturb the delicate skin. When it gets sore use a couple of drops of tea tree oil with abase oil or an egg cup full of warm water. Wipe the soulotion round inside with a bud untill bad smell is gone. Then dry it with another, the skin inside is delicate so be careful and nice and gentle. Tea tree oil is a naturally drying oil so et it do its thing. one go at this should be enough but if not repeat again each night until its gone. I also find a little powder in thee after you have dried it after the shower helps stop in coming in the first place. Good luck to all those poor little pink belly buttons.

Ani69
i had this problem when i was little, my dad used to make a joke out of it and help me clean it etc... and i just remember it went.. but over the past few months it comes off and on? it's the worst it's been at the moment and im on my period?? clean it with an anticeptic spray and cotton buds to get rid of the stuff.. helps the smell a bit too. but this morning i cleaned it and i got this like hair!!!?! never had it before... i linked it to my dogs hair at first but of course it couldnt have been... maybe its just a  build up of tiny hairs from my tummy that have come off and settled in there when my cothes have rubbed against it? and it's caused a slight reaction??

hope this helps if anyone else has had a crazy little hair issue!!
I actually have had the same issues for many many years.  I would always clean the area well, check to see if it's stronger during my cycle and everything.  The smell is so bad and so was the crusting.  In 2006 after finally discussing it with my Physician, he scheduled me for a CT Scan.  For me the results were that I had a cyst the size of a golf ball on the umbilical cord.  He scheduled me for surger to remove it and they went into the same location that I had my tubal ligation (minus a few centimeters).  Well after 4 years it's back and now i'm wondering if the cyst is back or as you all have shown me, it could just be happening.  I also used the fungal cream which never helped at all.
im super stoked to know that im not the only one!!! Omg!!! Thank  you all for your suggestions. Im hoping that something will work for me!!
ok so i have this gross smell that i can smell threw my cloths comeing from my belly button and i'd say the closest thing to what it smells like is rotting carcasses but it only started after i got my tubes tied and they did the surgery threw my belly button and since then it smells it oozes this yellowish discharge and if i stick a cuetip in it i can get what looks like dark greyish colored smelly matter and it burns alot and it makes the surounding area (bout a inch all the way around it)bright red and irritated it makes me feel sick and sometimes it actually hurts to sit down cuz that's where my body bends and the pressure of sitting hurts it! i have tried everything anti biotic cream zinc cream (which seems to make the burning go away)rubbing alcohol really hurt ! same with hand sanitizer! i wash it and dry it ...it seems to come with rashes i get these rashes that start on my butt at the top right side of my butt crack but not in it then i get a rash on my belly at the top right side right under my boob then same side on my neck same side on my caff and shin and top of my foot same side the rashes are painful and even wind hurts it which is the weirdest thing i ever heard of  then my belly button starts i feel sick then it smells and leaks it gets worse with me poking at it ! why is this happening to me?
Holy Wow! Thank you God! I have been searching for answers for a few years now, bc man its slippery and it smells just horrible, but its also my thigh crease that gets it as well... I am very overweight and so the fresh air thing makes sense, I may just tape up my rolls and put a fan on it lol, but seriously, what else can you do when you are heavy, and dont say lose weight bc I have tried
For many people, the belly button is the focal point of their bodies. Your midsection is constantly exposed in summer when you are at the pool or beach. Not only is there pressure to have a nicely toned midsection, it can be embarrassing if you are emitting a foul odor from your belly button. Some people even get a dark, whitish, or clear discharge from their belly button.

There are a few conditions that can cause belly button discharge. Patent urachus or a urachal cyst are a couple reasons why you could have belly button discharge. Sometimes people get debris caught inside the belly button. The debris inside the belly button can cause irritation of the skin and lead to an infection. On some people, an abscess can form and cause a foul-smelling odor. The smell is bacteria that do not use oxygen and produce the foul odors. Your body will send white blood cells to the infection to fight it off and control the infection from worsening. Your doctor may need to perform surgery and prescribe antibiotics if the infection worsens. The infection may also be a yeast infection in the belly button.

Patent urachus
A surgery called patent urachus will be performed to correct a urachus tube that fails to close after birth. The urachus tube is a small tube that connects the fecal bladder to the umbilical cord. Patent urachus repair is a surgery to close a defect of the bladder. When a baby grows inside the womb, the urachus will normally close. If the urachus fails to close, you need to have a surgery performed to close it. Having an abnormal opening between the bladder and the area where the umbilical cord was removed, will increase the risk for bladder infections.

This condition is more common in females than in males. The discharge that drains out of the belly button is actually urine. Surgery for patent urachus will require several days in the hospital. Generally recovery from patent urachus is quick and most people do not experience reoccurring problems. Patent urachus may heal on its own in about two months, but you will need to watch it closely so it does not get infected. There have been rare cases where it does not heal and it presents a problem later in life. If patent urachus does not heal and reoccurs later in life, it can reappear as swelling and discharging urine or mucus from a cyst.

You may also experience inflamed lumps around the belly button. These lumps that form may cause persistent infection in the individual and it leads to cysts and other things. If you think you have belly button discharge, you should collect a sample for the doctor to perform laboratory testing on. Your doctor will take a swab of the mucus or liquid when you get to their office and send it away for testing.

Urachal cyst
A urachal cyst is a cyst occurring in a persistent portion of the urachus. It is a large infection that presents itself as a large mass in the umbilical region. If you have a urachal cyst, you will experience abdominal pain and a fever if it becomes infected. If it bursts, the fluid will drain through the belly button. A urachal cyst is a rare condition that affects 1 in 2,000 people.

In order to treat a urachal cyst, you need a doctor to lance it. Bactine or hydrogen peroxide will then need to be applied to the cyst several times a day. Use antibacterial soap to cleanse the urachal cyst in the shower.
Yeast Infection
Some people who experience belly button discharge may have a yeast infection. A yeast infection is simply an overgrowth of fungus. During a yeast infection, you may experience painful itching and burning. A yeast infection can be treated with antifungal creams. Some people may need to have a prescription for a yeast infection. There are also home remedies for yeast infections. You can apply plain yogurt to the yeast infection and it will reduce the painful itching you may experience.

If your child has a yeast infection on their belly button, you need to speak with their pediatrician about treatment options. Many children cannot have antifungal creams applied to their stomachs as it may cause further irritation.

A yeast infection will cause the belly button to become inflamed and red. It will itch and burn and you will get the urge to scratch. Resist the urge to scratch, as this only worsens the condition. Instead, use a cold compress on the belly button area to reduce your need to scratch. Ointments are another great way to reduce the burning and itching sensation of a yeast infection.

If you have been treating the yeast infection for at least 7 days and you still are not getting relief, you need to speak with your doctor. If your yeast infection was properly treated and then returned within 2 months, you need to speak with a medical professional.

Thrush
Thrush can also occur on the belly button and in the mouth after birth. Thrush is white patches in the mouth and on the tongue. Thrush can appear on other places of the body, like the belly button. Thrush is a yeast called candida that grows out of control. Thrush usually occurs in babies because their immune systems are not strong enough to fight off the growth of yeast. Elderly individuals also experience thrush as their immune system begins to deteriorate.

Thrush looks like cottage cheese or milk curds. Generally it looks like you should be able to wipe these patches of whiteness away, but you can't. You should not attempt to wipe the patches away, as this will only cause further irritation and make the patches red and sore. A doctor can tell if your baby has thrush by looking at the white patches. For adults, your doctor may discuss further medical information with you. Your family history will be talked about as it could be linked to something else such as diabetes.

Thrush is normally not serious and can be treated with antifungal medicine such as nystatin liquid. You simply put the medication on the white patches and over time they will cease. For a baby with thrush, they may also develop a diaper rash at the same time. Use some diaper ointment to reduce the rash at the same time you are treating their thrush. Some babies may need nystatin cream for their diaper rash. For an adult, you will use medicine that is applied directly onto the white patches using a liquid dropper or lozenge. If the nystatin cream doesn't work, then your doctor may need to prescribe an antifungal pill.

Does anyone seem to get holes in their T-shirts or blouses about where your belly button is?  I do and I think it is from the discharge.
i love you guys, i've had wet stinky belly button for 7 weeks,ever sence i got my tubes tied. i am also over weight but never had the prob till i got my tubes tied. Glad to know im not alone, thanks
I am a male(Aussie),55 years young,height 179cm,weight 75kg.I had a hernia repair through belly button in 2000. On & off since then smelly discharge and irritation.Finally my doctor referred me to the surgeon who performed the operation in 2000.
    An ultrasound determined a nylon suture just below belly-button surface
caused intermittent infection which erupted then healed repeatedly,often with cycles of 6 weeks or so.
    I have just had surgery 5 days ago (home same day)to hopefully correct the condition.
    Hope this of help
               Cheers
                             Alan
i had this problem too but i found a cure use a qtip with some walm salty water then after leave ur tummy to air 4 a while then use some baby power to dry it up then it will take that bad smell away 4 a day or 2 then repeat again but if u dont carry on doing it the smell will come back hope i help u all
I am not overweight (5'4" and 125 lbs), no surgeries or major issues, and I too have the stinky BB.  I agree with the poster about sweat and just not getting air.  I'm sure there are proabably other reasons for other people, but for me, I just swab it out with some vasiline (to get the gunk out) and that seems to work.  I think I'll try the tea tree oil suggestion.  That stuff is magic.  :-)
I've had this  same problem for awhile. I came across a spray on deodorant called Dr.Mist i spray it in my belly button and it really helps with the smell and discharge.

www.drmist.us
Hey guys, I have my belly button done too. And I think the smell is just natural. Mine smells sometimes but not all the time. I think cleaning with sea salt helps that solution. What I do is get a glass cup, poor a little sea salt in the cup, now poor warm water in the cup, stir it up, and lay down with the cup on your belly and lay there for about 10 min, after that clean it out, and just poor warm water in the cup, swish it around so it will get the rest of the salt and not dry out your belly button.Then get a cotton swab with warm water and clean around it. Also if you have a bump on your belly button, do this also. This clears it up. And do this everyday, for about a week. And that's what I do. Hopefully I could help(;
My belly button has had a smell for a while. Last week, I pulled open my belly button as much as possible because I noticed that it was starting to hurt and I saw how red it was inside. Bright red. Really scared me. There was also some clear pus. I bought Clotrimazole (anti-fungal cream for thrush, jock itch, athlete's foot, etc.) and applied a small amount of the cream to the inside of my belly button with a Q-tip twice a day. I am on the 5th day of treatment and the redness is almost completely gone. The pain stopped within 12 hours, as did the smell. No smell, no pain, almost no redness. Seems like this funky belly button problem is just a simple case of thrush from moisture, bacteria, and heat. Also, I have a very deep belly button and I figure that doesn't help matters. If you have this problem, save yourself the trouble of salt or vinegar baths or whatever else and just buy some OTC anti-fungal cream for $6 or $7.
i have an appoinment wit my doctor tomorro for the same exact thing i taught i was the only one i have asked around and nobody seems to think its normal ? But you guys dont make it seem all that bad except i think my case is slightly different i have be woken in the night by pain in my belly button even accusing my boyfriend of sticking his finger in my belly button its happened a couple of times and the pain is unbareable but never when i am awake my it smells and stuff comes out to kinda browny colour its horrible and sticky its been happening a couple of years but have never went about it. Me and my boyfriend are also together ten years and for 8 ou of those ten years we have been trying for a baby and finding it very hard to get pregnent people have told me that the belly button is connected to the cord when your having a baby so now i cant help to think that maybe theirs somethin wrong with my womb it would explain a lot if anyone has any info i would be happy to hear from you thanks x :)
I have had a 'smelly' belly button for as long as I can remember.  I have a very thick creamy smelly discharge from mine and it is NOT pleasant.  I sit at my desk as work and can smell it myself which makes me really concious.  I am not overweight and have not got a piecing.  I find its worse if I am under the weather but I also suffer with IBS and its really bad if I am having a bad day.  I must go to doctor about it but feel like I am wasting their time...its amazing how many people do suffer though.
Hi.
Re my first and only post on 26th April 2010 (prior to this one).
Today I accidently clicked on the report tab.SORRY.
I had day case surgery to remove a nylon suture causing irritating smelly discharge from a 10 yrs prior hernia repair entry site through my belly button. I am pleased to say the surgeon has completely solved the problem.Only needed 3 external sutures to close the small wound needed to gain access and remove the offending  nylon suture from 10 yrs ago.My belly button is like new again.
It's like winning the lottery.
There is hope.
Cheers.
              Alan
I actually had this problem when I was younger of the smelly, itchy and crusty bellybutton. My mother took me to the doctor and my bellybutton actually tested POSITIVE for STREP! There is not really an antibiotic that you can take for STREP BELLYBUTTON so I just had to clean it out with hydrogen peroxide. It recently started again, so I have just been using a q-tip and hydrogen peroxide. It works very well. :)
A few days ago I noticed a red/brown discharge coming from my belly button and I cleaned it out which is how I also noticed my belly button was giving off a very pungent smell. My belly button was also itchy and inflamed. I went to the doctor yesterday and she told me I had a fungal infection and prescribed me a powder and told me that it should be gone in a week. To prevent it from happening again, she told me to make sure my belly button is dry by applying baby powder to soak up the moisture.
**Try Lotrimin AF - it's a powder antifungal spray.  It worked for me!!!!
What's interesting is we all have different forms of belly button odor issues.  Some people experience pain with it which I did not. (If you have pain please go see the doctor!)  Some have dark gook etc... I initially contibuted mine back to 2 laperoscopy surgeries (where they go in thru the belly button) then I thought could it be the extra 15 pounds I've put on over the past few years - hard to say.  Mine is not really an innie or an outtie it's just about even with the rest of my stomach.  I started getting daily almost whitish/yellowish crustiness in my belly button that had just a nasty rancid odor (like dead fish) that I could not get rid of.  The are was also irritated and pink.  I tried the peroxide treatment - no luck it just stung.  After reading everyones insights I decided to try a combo treatment.  Lotrimin makes a anti-fungal spray that has a powder in it (also used for jock itch). Within about 2-3 days I was feeling 100 % better. Every so often I will still hit it with the spray just to keep it from coming back. :-)  Seems to me though for anyone who has lumps in the belly button or infection colored discharge whether it be dark (ie: redish/brownish or anything that is oozy I would highly recommend a doctors opinion.  Just remember they've seen it all (and then some). It's not worth years of embarassment when it can most likely be resolved with a simple antibiotic treatment or for me and antifungal spray.  Thank goodness for the internet!!  Good luck to you all!
I have the same issue, including the thing where not only does it stink and ooze brown gunge but is also quite red and sore. The problem is though, i'm healthy, i'm thin, I clean it every day i've tried EVERYTHING! The GP didn't care...and i've had it my whole life, it doesn't come and go and there's no pattern, i've never had any surgery, there really appears to be no reason, it's embarrassing....
It is vitamin d deficiency...get some sun without sunscreen, or take a vitamin d supplement.  Meanwhile use tea tree oil.  Hope this helps.
o my goodness! i just noticed my bellybutton smells too. One day i decided to do a test. So i took one finger and picked my belly button , and it smelled like poop, Then i took my other fringer and stuck it up my butt hole and it smells exactly the same!!!!!! What is going on!
I just recently went to the dermatologist and showed him my stinky belly button. It has a horrible odor, it is red inside, and has a clear discharge but only when I am getting close to getting my period. My dermatologist just flat out said that I need surgery. Does this sound right to anyone? From reading the other posts it looks like there are others with the same problem. I am overweight and it seems like that might be part of the problem. Like I said it is not consistent and I am not in great pain. My dematologist said I might have a cyst but when I researched the information for an umbilicus cyst I saw that I don't have any of the symptoms except the discharge. Help!
I went to the General Practitioner yesterday and he said that he had never seen anything like what I have in my belly button! I found this surprising because I see that there are a significant amount of people that have the same problem that I do. He said that it is definitely not an infection but could possibly be a fungal problem. I bought Lortimin and I am going to see another dematologist tomorrow! Just thought I would write an update. The doctor also took some scrapings from inside my belly button to send to the lab just to make sure that it is fungal.
The BEST thing for smelly belly buttons is navel fresh spray.  It has chlorhexidine, which kills fungus and bacteria.  But it also has tea tree oil and some lovely essential oils that make your navel smell good too.  I had smelly belly button and it worked great for me.  SOmetimes alcohol and soap and water just dont kill all the stuff living in that hole!

I am 20 years old, just a bit overweight and have noticed I get this strong smell from my belly button too. I tried to figure out what was causing it as it's only been happening for about 1 year now and I found that anytime I used scented shower gels or bubble baths and it got near my belly button, later in the day I'd get the strong smell accompanied by whitish-yellow discharge. When this happens I usually put baby powder in my belly button to dry out the gross discharge and to mask the smell a bit and then powder again as many times as needed during the day until I can shower again.
Yanno drying off 100% is just as important as washing. Are u literally drying out your belly button because if not, yes u can get thrush and other infections from yeast. It has to be totally dried off in there just like in between each toe and the crack of your a**. Athletes foot or miconazole should get rid of it and once its gone, keep it very clean and VERY dry!! Even placing baby powder is better than nothing but again if U use powder IT MUST BE TOTALLY DRY!!!! Best Blessings.
oops.....I meant athletes foot medicines @ my last comment.

Oh and my above (or below wherever it places this one) comment is to anyone it can help out.
Hey guys,
I felt weird being the only one in my group of friends with this problem, now I don't feel so bad. I have the same issue but it's only ever happened twice. My belly button gets red around it and sometimes slightly painful and eventually oozes yukky smelly stuff. I went to the doctors the first time, was swabbed and she said it was normal and gave me betadine to clean it and some antibiotics ( for a prior abscess I had that had surgery for 9months ago it's now healing up nicely) and the belly issue went away after a day or two. I read though a lot of these and realized I am slightly overweight (more so in my stomach area) but not that bad and all this week i've been stressed to the bone. I have a fear of the hospital and doctors since my abscess issue and don't want to go back. My best friend tells me to just keep cleaning it with betadine. Is there any other tips I should try?? Please help!!
<3 <3 Kim
Not to be rude, but you need to lose weight...It's a health risk to be grossly overweight.  All you need is the will power to do it.  I imagine the stinkly belly botton isn't the only health issue you have as a result of being overweight...If you value your life, you will make the right choice.  I just thought you should hear it straight.
I'm having the same problem,and been having it for years now. Moving away from topic,on this site I have seen people with same problems as mine.I need advice or help. I thought I was pregnant,I look and feel pregnant till I saw everything about cancer. The doctors gave me a neg. And also I have been starving myself,by eating once a day for a year now. Is or could this be the reason my belly,is getting bigger?could this be why I'm always cold?my period went from 7days to 2days?anyone?
Thanks to all the posters but I've noticed this thread started since 2005, and if I'm not mistaken, I haven't read any post from a doctor or somebody in the medical field at least to give really a clearer explanation and recommendation.  I hope for the benefit of everyone especially those facing with the problem, a reputable and kind doctor would come in and post his comments here asap; and be able to help answer this really "aging" question on smelly belly buttons!  
Hey!
I have the same thing n it comes once every couple of months but i make sure to wash it all over n use a cutip to clean it. It works for me n the smell goes away.
i also have my belly pierced but for some reason no matter how much i clean it its like infected with the discharge mucus.
And just to let u know DIAL SOAP isn't gud for piercings it damages ur skin cells!! Use sea salt it makes the piercing feel better

Hope this helps!
i'm 22 years old my belly is stinking and i'm woried because i also have discharge coming out.
I've found the following works well:  After showering and drying BB as well as possible, every day I use a babywipe wrapped around a cotton bud to clean the BB really thoroughly, then use the bare cotton bud to apply Vaseline.  
I too am having the same problem ! My belly button has been like that for almost a year. I cain't touch the inside its kind of painfull. and it smells like rotton butt lol to be honest. It's kinda embarasing .I wash it 2 times a day when i take my showers the smell goes away for a bit but comes right back few hours later ! and its tender ! when being touched kinda feels like your touching inside of my guts or organs or something ! ugh I hope we all find answers!
I am 54, I have had a hysterectomy through my belly button.  I had a C-Section.  I am slightly overweight, not obese, and not what  anyone would call fat.  After my C-Section I always had an itchy spot on the outside edge of my BB. My C-Section was 21 years ago and my Hysterectomy 17 years ago.  I just this year, had a smelly, yellow, crusty discharge in my BB, for the first time.  Yes it worries me.  I would like to know exactly what causes this.  Before my hysterectomy, my BB looked like it had an end to it inside.  Since the hysterectomy it looks like it just goes to a dark hole in the middle of my being.  Several have mentioned this after surgeries.  If you are seriously overweight, I can see how it would be hard to keep this area clear of sweat and maybe a yeast can form.  However, I do not feel this is the case in my situation (and others).  I feel it may be an indication something is wrong, and I would really like some professional definitive answers, so I will be going to my doctor.  I do thank all of you for yours discussions, because of them I have ruled out the being overweight reason.  If I do find out the actual cause, I will write back to you all.  Thank you for helping me to decide how I am going to deal with this.
IT HAS BEEN HAPPENING TO ME EVER SINCE I HAD A TUBAL AND GOT FAT. SMELLS WORSE THAN A SEWER FULL OF POOP. SO GLAD TO HEAR OTHERS OUT THERE THAT CAN RELATE. ***** THOUGH.
I had Gall Bladder surgery 7 days ago and I have a white/yellowish/ brown substance oozing out of my belly button! Is this normal?
i had this problem too .,and its coming back whenever i got my period. im a girl..15 yrs old,no surgeries or pierces.,i think im chubby but my  BODY MASS INDEX is normal ., i always eat to much food .,pls help me., im worrying because my parents didnt know about it,. THANKS!
THIS WILL WORK FOR SURE. I had this problem after having to use a steroid cream for psoriasis in the belly button. I tried everything over the counter and even alcohol or salt water cottonballs held in with a bandaid. I had silvadine cream from a burn and that didn't work either.  Years later after some dental work that kinda scratched my gums, the dentist gave PERIDEX mouthrinse. he said it would soothe and bring down the swelling. It did that and as I read up on it it is also used for gum disease infections. it is prescription but very cheap for a big bottle. I soaked a q-tip in it and cleaned out my belly button and just like that the smell went away and never came back. I never knew what kind of infection it was but this worked great. My doc suggested that I share this so I hope it can help others too.  
i have had the same problem..using steroid creams in the belly button. my problem got worst and stinked very badly. i am on my way now to quick care because it stinks so bad! i have to wear a band aid to cover up the psariosis inflamation (inflammation). it now has a green oozy look. i smaell, and i am sure others can smell this. i am not a over weight female. i weigh about 130pds. i just started haveing this issue about a month ago! i am sick of the smell, and the oozing! i will let you all know what the doc. says later!
I have always had the problem but the other day I dabbed Tea Tree Oil in my navel with a cotton wool bud and I'm amazed that after all these years it no longer smells.  So all you smelly belly buttons out there - give it a try.  Be good to hear the results.
Try Lying on your back- have someone pool a little ethyl rubbing alcohol (lower percentage) in your belly button. Then have them take two q tips to spread it apart and clean it out. Then get doggy style so it all runs out via gravity while you pat it dry. I think my ex wife misses things like this I used to do.  medicine_man_4
It is caused by weight,
As well as low maintenance, every 2nd day you should clean it with a cotton bud dipped in alcohol such as whiskey.
I'm a big girl & I had strange leaks & so on..
It's discharge that your body is rejecting! Mainly from greasy foods.
The crustiness is just the dried discharge...
Nothing serious, just needs to be clean.
& dried after your daily shower.

All the best
xx
I get it too!!! Thankyou everyone.glad im not alone!
When I was born I had an umbilical hernia and am convinced its to do with detaching! Im 46 now and going thru perimenopause and finally detaching from my parents! Long story! Thanks to the suggestion of cleaning with tea tree oil.
Im a believer in 'the body speaks'
I'm posting this comment high up the list because my bf had the same thing happening to him, and after doing a lot of research I found out what it was and how to fix it for good. The cause of the smell is actually from a fungus, not bacteria, that invaded the opening of your belly button and is trying to continue spreading down your navel passage. So all the anti-bacterial stuff people do to try and fix it is ineffective, including taking oral antibiotics which can even make it worse. Too much moisture around the opening is only half the problem for most folks: Take fewer showers (and quit swimming for awhile if that's what you tend to do), dry your belly button well, swab it with alchohol, and let it dry totally each time. Don't rub the area much at all while washing: you want it to heal itself shut! Keep your belly button as moisture-free as possible at all times to prevent giving the fungus a place to grow. Apply a topical antifungal of your choice to the area at least once a day until symptoms clear. Other than that, dryness is key! ((I know this sounds icky, but if you're starting out with "goo" in there, it's best to squeeze it out before beginning treatment.)) That's what you do on the outside. Now for the inside of you:

If you tend to love your: coffee, alcohol, ibuprofen, sugar, stress, and 'wolfing' your food, I have bad news. All of these things, in addition to having insufficient digestive enzymes (evidenced by acid reflux, etc.), actually contribute to your stinky belly button problem; you have to cut back on all of these things significantly in order to heal. These things contribute to a condition called Leaky Gut Syndrome, in which the yeasts in your digestive tract (natural fungus) run rampant and cause mild inflammation of the small intestine. This inflammation results in porosity of the gut lining, allowing microbes and even small food particles to leak out of the intestine and into the abdominal cavity. If this Candida yeast gets into your naval tract...viola! Stinky belly button. Soooo....

You have to heal your small intestine in order to avoid your belly button problem from recurring. Trust me, this worked wonders for my bf. Here's how: For two weeks, avoid the stuff I mentioned just above. Add as much lemon, lime, garlic, ginger, and vegetables to your diet during this time as you can (it's a good habit to stay in). Chew all your meals and snacks slowly, limit your portion sizes, and take digestive enzymes with each meal (usually available in chews). Take probiotics daily (like what's found in live-culture yogurt or in pill form) for the two weeks. Probiotics are naturally found in the intestine, but get overwhelmed by overgrowth of Candida; you got to replace 'em to put things back in balance. You will also daily want to take an amino acid called glutamine that is fairly tasteless and can be mixed into drinks. Glutamine helps heal your digestive tract so it's important to take it. Take omega-3 fatty acids or eat foods high in them. Staying hydrated and keeping up on your fiber will help flush out the fungus as it dies.

If you follow this regimen for two weeks, then keep up your healthy eating habits, you will likely never see this problem pop up again. Best of luck!
Well, I guess my comment didn't post very high up! Anyway, I just wanted to add a couple of points: Some good external antifungals to try are tea tree oil, grapefruit seed extract (called GSE), Monistat 7 if you have it around, coconut oil, apple cider vinegar, oregano oil, and clove oil.

The particles that escape a leaky gut can cause other health problems such as fluid buildup in the abdomen (ascites), allergies, and asthma. When these particles are in the abdomen, your body's immune system kicks into high gear to rid itself of the foreign object. It's something to consider if you are having immune-related problems or a large gut that doesn't seem to be all fat.

Candida yeast is the same as thrush. It's what gives us vaginal yeast infections, stinky belly buttons, and that white coating on your tongue. It's favorite food is the sugars we eat and it can get out of control in the body with a high-sugar diet. Other factors that favor yeast growth in our bodies are: chlorine, flouride, heavy metals, antibiotics, nicotine, food and beauty chemicals, having diabetes or AIDS, and eating processed foods from moldy sources, like tomato sauce/paste/ketchup and dehydrated potatoes.

Some good sources of omega-3: grass fed beef, walnuts, oily fish, cantaloupe, flax, safflower oil, fortified eggs and milk.

If you are looking for more healthy foods to steer toward, try grapefruit, green apples, quinoa, buckwheat, avocado, whole grains, tree nuts, raw foods, fermented foods (kim chi, saurkraut, kombucha, tempe), yogurt, and cruciferous veges like brocolli, kale, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, etc. Steer clear of packaged and fast foods as much as possible and cut back on white starches like potatoes, rice, pasta, corn, and bread.

I hope all this helps someone...it took weeks of research to find the answer for my bf. He went to the doctor for his stinky bellybutton before I met him; the doctor's approach was to surgically remove his bellybutton. When the infection came back, the same doctor cut out his entire naval passage. I met him several years later and the saw the infection come back again. The doctor wanted to do another surgery. I urged my bf to let me try to help him instead of going under the knife again. After following my recommendations based on what I found out, he has not had the infection since and avoided a third sugery. I'm so mad at that doctor for perfoming unneccessary surgeries on my guy!!
Last thing: stinky belly button infection can happen from any perforation of the naval tract. Surgeries, piercings, and cleaning/picking the navel are possible culprits. My bf had picked out the tiny, white keratin plug that naturally seals shut the navel opening. That's how his got started.
I have the same issue and can't get it tO stop! And I dont have mine pierced and never have I've tried lotion thinking it was dry but didn't help :-/
Ugh! This "Smelly Belly Button" Just started and I will say that it flipped me out. I have been keeping balled up tissue inside and hoping it will go away. I made an appointment with my Doc. I'm sure he will wave it away and tell me to go home. I am a big girl and have been trying to loose weight, but I drink a lot of soda so I have a lot of sugar in my system. I guess I'll have to do some of the suggestions on this site. I'm glad that I'm not the only one.
I have this same problem the doctor prescribed some kind of cream and it doesn't work. Mine starts when I'M about to start my period I'M wondering If that could have anything to do with it
Same here! This does not happen that often to me but when it does, IT HURTS!!!  My belly button gets really red and sore and dischrges some milky liquid. I have never talked to anyone and have just dealt with it, like I said it is not that often. It usually goes away on it own, lasting a few days. I hate to say this, but I am glad that I found out not to be the only one. Thanks for sharing!!
I had a c section about 8 weeks ago my b button is wet smells and when I clean it it has a yellow discharge. Also I get the same smell and yellow discharge around my scar. I have an apron that what I call the loose skin that hangs over my scar. So it doesn't get much fresh air but I so clean everything everyday. What do u think?
I agree that some of these other people have the right idea. But let a doc diagnose it for you. I downplayed mine, thinking some of the same things as others on here only to be told by the doc that the infection in my belly button is worse than staph, they are concerned about a hole leaking stomach fluid through. Take my advice, don't diagnose yourself just in case.

Good luck.
Three days ago, I was standing doing dishes and I kept smelling something awful.  It was my belly button :(
I have a deep innie, and it was red and sore.  I swabbed inside with a q-tip and there was blood...which really freaked me out.  The pain was only on the actual inflamed skin.
So, I came on here and checked the remedies.  I happened to have some apple cider vinegar in the house, so I reluctantly soaked two q-tips and swabbed the perimeter of my belly button and as far inside as I could. It hurt a fair amount, but I did twice a day for two days and on the third day my belly button doesn't hurt anymore and there is absolutely no smell at all :)

So yes, apple cider vinegar is your friend! I'm going to do this probably once a week to stop it from coming back.
hey guys! I woke up today with blood and puss crusted on my belly button. It also was sore to the touch. well i went and shower and stuck my finger in my button and found two lumps type things well I found this board then decided to make a dr appointment. my dr said that it was my sweat gland that was clogged and had been infected so she sent me home with an antibiotic. just thought i would let u guys know what my result was!
Forty six years ago I told my doctor about mine. He inserted a huge q tip and said my navel never closed. Cleaned it out and said not to worry about
it. But I still have it never close.
Yes I do but I thought it was moths or carpet beetles. But I have intermitant tummy button problem, so this is interesting
hi, i have had this proplem for many years its never been a bad issue that iv thort to get checked out from a doctor but i wanted to google it to find y this happens i am slitly overweight bt my belly botten does get air and wash regulary, iv never had any problems in the girly area or with my periods and would really love to know y its coursed weather it is overweight or something else...i rescently go the corage to as a friend she said it smells like the smell when u pick or clean ur toe nails, witch is exactly wat myn smels like, can any1 relate to that???? and is it and overweight problem or maby somthing to do with sweat??  i have a bad underarm sweating proplem not smelly sweat just wet sweat...b great if any1 kan answer my questions :)
Ok Ladies! I got it figured out! The other night I was trying to figure out what to do with my belly button cuz it really turned red and was hurting and I'm pretty sure it was a fungus. My belly button has always smelled awful too.. and yes, I am overweight, I am quite certain it smells because it doesnt get much air.. so bacteria can easily grow.. anyways, I GOT THE CURE FOR BOTH! I tried the yogurt the first night, because I know that yogurt DOES help fight fungi... but it didnt seem any better the next day. so i figured i would treat it like i do with any heat rash that i get every once in a while.. I used CORN STARCH. It has been two days and it does not hurt anymore, nor is there any smell, which i didnt expect.. It is still red but i will continue using it until that clears too.. I took a shower, cleaned it out, dried it good, and dabbed a little cornstarch in the whole thing. it has worked like a charm. I hope it works well for all you ladies too!!!
I get this and wondered for years what it was and then I watched Dr Oz once and he said it's caused from when your umbilical cord was cut as a baby that there was some aspect of your belly button that didn't close off completely so that now and then it oozes.  He said there is nothing to worry about but there is nothing that you can do except to use saline and cotton pads and wipe it clean.  It usually goes away after a couple of days.
I have the same problem.  I found athletes foot cream worked best.  It took the redness and soreness away.  Get one that treats and prevents them.  It helped me so much.  It still comes back every now and then, but it is so much better.
yhnx alot dear i will def try..ohh u make me contentfull i was very worried..since few dayzzz
I have had this same problem for about 3 years. I'm 17 year old, not over weight, when I first started getting it I was a size 8 in clothes I'm now a size 12 and I started getting it after I had my belly button pierced. I've been too embarrassed to go to the doctor about it. I've tried everything but it always comes back, it's horrible and my partner finds it so off putting :-(
i too, like many, have the same type of clear discharge from my belly button. i find that, personally, when i rub too much at it (when tryiing to wipe it away) it simply gets worse. but if you don't at least pat dry the discharge it will dry and leave almost a sort of off white crystal, like what comes from your eyes when you wake up. I would try to use, like many others have said, an anti-baterial cream, such as neosporin, or a type of cream you put on cuts and scrapes. this seems to dry and temporarally drain the fluid if not perminently. DO NOT PICK AT THE SPOT. if you do you will find that there will be scabs inside the belly button and feel almost like wet cornstarch. not all ofthis may be true, but this is what happened to me. hope this info help a bit :) .
Where can you get tea tree oil ?
I just woke up this morning and had a pain in my belly button and when i went to touch it there was yucky fluid coming out and it smells sooooo bad. I dunno what to do, Im not over weight, I do have horrible periods and I have never had a surgery. Im thinking about seeing my dr cause there in a lump and it hurts really bad. I have never experienced this until this morning. So happy I found this site. Thanks all
From personal experience I believe that all the suggestions above do not come close to the answer.  It is not because the belly buttons are sweating because they are innies', or that we are fat and no air is getting to them, or that we don't clean them.  My solution came by mistake.  I was having treatments from my acupuncturist that most do not do, it was with suction, cupping using the bloodletting aspect. I thought that knowledge of this treatment needed to be more publicly known but did know how to get it out there, that is until I found the term hijama.  I experimented with googling hijama and acupuncture and appropriate worldwide locations so that friends of mine could find a practitioner, the reason I added acupuncture is so that one could have the option to have treatments with acupuncture.  Hijama is a long standing well known Muslim version, it is more strict (only on certain days of the month, and they suggest you rest after a treatment) and intense (they use razor blade cuts rather than needle punctures).

In my case my acupuncturist had given me a cupping kit, it took a few years before I realized I could do the bloodletting on myself in emergencies.

I recommend that even if you do get a cupping kit, that you also find a practitioner who does the whole body from time to time, as we can only deal with emergencies by ourselves, and can not do the whole body front and back to do a complete treatment.

I started using the kit on myself when I got a wasp bite that by the next day the hotness, redness and itching was starting to pass the elbow mark and I thought I'd have to go to the hospital.  I then got the kit out and put the cup on the bite site (used the suction gun to make the cup stick to the skin, left it there for a bit, used the needle hammer on the area, then put the cup back), and before I knew it the cup was filling up with the same material that came out when my acupuncturist did it on me.  This taught me that it is not necessarily so that we are allergic to bee stings, but that insects bite us where we are 'sick'.

I spent the summer using mosquito bites to find the 'sick' spots, and realized that mosquitoes are my guide in those times when I can not always find the time to drive the two hours for my acupuncture treatment.

Later that year I started to get the hot red itchy smelly belly button symptoms.  I got out the kit, and for the next 5 months, about three times a week I had to do the treatments, for a couple hours each day.  I was wondering if I would have to do them indefinitely and then I made an interesting discovery.

First of all, the area around the belly button (about an inch extending around the belly button is the 'spleen' area for Chinese medicine diagnostics.  I had a spot on my forearm that itched like crazy from time to time (it seemed to be where the forearm rests on the computer, but it is also a prominent point along the spleen meridian), but I could never get a cup to stick on that part of the arm (I thought, that due to the angle I could not reach it properly).  After five months of doing the belly button treatments the arm itch started again, and finally this time I did manage to get the cup to stick, and I removed many cups of different kinds of the material (bubbles, clots of different colours, etc).

After that, the need for continuing with the belly button ceased.

This type of treatment is so necessary for the removal of toxins that can not be gotten rid of with good diet and habits alone.  It is not at all painful, only a relief, especially when something is itchy, you put some alcohol on it, the cup, a few hammers with the needle hammer, put the cup back and the junk starts coming out ... the head feels lighter, the itch goes away, you feel great!  One thing I would add, at some point during the belly button treatments the needle hammer was no longer doing the trick and I finally succumbed to using a lancet ... of course there is a way to do it so that it does not feel like you are sticking a needle into yourself.  I will try to explain, you kind of lightly punch area, using your hand to block the needle going in all the way, so that it barely breaks the skin.  Do not be alarmed about the blue bruising, as you clean out, over time the bruising stops.

I repeat again, even if you buy your own kit and hammer, it is just for emergencies, do find someone to do whole body treatments, at least in the beginning.

I leave it to you to do your own google research (hijama, cupping, bloodletting).  There you will see the sequence of cup, alcohol, cup, wait, remove cup, wipe, do it again ... in some instances one day nothing will come from a spot, and when you go back again, it does.

Also, doing it with an acupuncturist ensures that the energy system is fortified, not only the blood removal.  As my acupuncturist says 'I can put the needles in, but if there is junk underneath, it does not do much".

I tried to keep this brief, hope it helps.
Just to add, there have been countless times that I relied on this kit that otherwise I would surely have needed to be on steroids, and that wouldn't have gotten rid of the black thick clotted blood under the surface.  Remove that stuff the inflammation stops.  This method is also amazing for knee and other joint problems.  My acupuncturist does not 'believe in arthritis'.  It is the junk that collects, we get symptoms, take pills, the junk is still there and one day there is a mass of dead blood interfering in circulation, we move less, calcium buildup etc etc etc).  Those itchy elbows are also sources of that dead blood, I have seen it, personal proof, when I get itchy spots (such as around the ankles, there is always junk.  This is not hocus pocus, yes we have candida, yeast, sugar, and all the other sins, but these mini painless operations make you instantly feel and be better, instantly reverse the sins that have made you feel bad, and gives you the energy to take better care of yourself.
I've had the same problem since I was a child, I'm now 53 years old. I can't remember if I read this or saw it somewhere on tv, but they said some people's umbilical cords never heal properly. However when I was  child I was told to clean it daily alcohol and a qtip.
I too have a weight problem, so my belly button doesn't get much air, so it gets sore and red. My doctor gave me a cream called Bactroban. It is a fungus that grows because air does not get in there, and sweat sits in there. Whenever getting out of the shower, make a point to try out your belly button and put a little baby power in there to help with the moisture. Hope this helps!
I've had  a smelly belly button off and on now for years ,as it is very deep and yes it does smell horrible  . i will tell u something funny though well i thinks funny  ..... i way laying beside my husband in bed and i hadnt had the smelly belly for a while ......i got a wif of a bad smell ,i started smelling the sheets as we sleep naked , i then blamed my husband for not wiping him bottom properly  as thats what it smelt like .... after a argument  i realised it was me  my belly was the culprit , i never did tell him that how embarrassing , but now i know when i get that wif , its me  hope u see the funny side  too..