sweet smelling urine
good afternoon, i am inquiring some information on Maple Syrup Disease. I understand that it is present in pediatrics but i have some concerns of my own regarding symptoms i am expierencing. I am 24 years old, diagnosed with PCOS about 4 years ago, and ever since then i have noticed continuous differences/ declines in my body. Over the years i have noticed a strong sweet, maple syrup smell in my urine and it is very warm, a huge decline in my memory, and increased tiredness. I am forgetful of everything now and i have noticed i am having difficulties at work and home with word slurring and typing/writing backwords. i have gained 60lbs in 4 years without changing anything....i work about 60 hours a week in an active job, and i do not sit down untill about 11pm. i do not know what is going on with my body but i do not feel as a 24 yr old should feel. please help me find some answers :) thanks Cate
Hi Cate. May want to get your blood sugar levels checked just to rule out diabetes. don't worry. sometimes we women can worry ourselves into thinking the worst but it's great to keep on top of our health. might want to keep a diary of your sugar/carbs/water intake to see if it's linking to your sweet smelled urine (whether the smell gets less intense or worse when u decrease or increase sugar/carbs/water). If symptoms don't go away or get worse please go see a doctor just to ease your mind & make sure you are ok.
Since I had never heard of this disease before, I actually thought you might be pulling our leg. But you're not, are you? It is a very real and somewhat rare disease, but it requires diagnosing and treatment. I strongly suggest you see your doctor ASAP who may refer you to a urologist.
I very seldom tell people to Google anything about their symptoms, but in this case, since I had to Google it to even find out if it was real, I learned a great deal about this disease. So.....I will say to go ahead and Google MSUD, but take EVERYTHING you read with a grain of salt until you speak with a doctor!
I hope you will keep us updated on your diagnosis and treatemt. There may be other women on our forum with this who will be very grateful you stepped up and talked about this.
I wish you the best
Peace
Greenlydia