taking aleve while pregnant?

A community for people with Women's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

taking aleve while pregnant?

I took two pregnancy tests on Friday from First Response and they both came up positive. I can't get into a doctor until tomorrow but until then I don't know what to do.  I am having really painful cramps and I want to take a pain reliever such as Aleve but it says not to take if you are pregnant without consulting a docotor. This is my first time for all of this so I have no idea if it's okay to take now or not. Could anyone offer me advice or another tip to help ease ht epain without medicine? Also, I picked up some generic prenatal vitamins from Walgreens yesterday. Is there anything else I need to be doing or taking until I get to the doctor? And what kind of things should I expect for my first doctor visit? Sorry there's so many questions, I'm a little overwhelmed and scared. Any help would be appreciated.
Avatar n tn
you can take regular tylenol.
You could try a hot water bottle to help with your pains or possibly a long soak in a hot bath.  There is nothing else you need to do before your appointment tomorrow - sounds like you have things under control (you already have your prenatal vitamins and are thinking about appropriate pain medications)!
Congratulations on your pregnancy!
Avatar n tn
HOT BATHS are NOT recommended in pregnancy, it causes your temperature to rise. A high temperature is not good for the baby. You can take regular tylenol (as someone already mentioned) and you could probably use a heating pad or hot water bottle but for only a short amount of time. Try a few minutes every hour to hour and a half. Hope that you get some relief soon. If the cramps are extremely painful, maybe you should go to the ER to be checked out.

Take Care
Avatar n tn
You should not take aleve. It is like ibuprofen/advil/motrin and none of these should be taken during pregnancy. They have been linked to kidney development problems in the fetus as well as a very slightly higher risk of miscarriage. You can take tylenol and that is about it for now until you talk to a doctor.
You are mistaken in thinking baths per se are prohibited during pregnancy.  I googled this issue early in my pregnancy, and there is a lot of good information out there, and I talked to my ob-gyn.  Just check "pregnancy and bath" with your search engine.  

The main thing is, they don't want a preggers woman's body temp to rise to over 102 degrees, whether she gets to that point from being outside in the desert, being wrapped up in too many blankies at night, or sitting in a hot tub.  Soaking in a hot tub is not recommended during pregnancy, because they not only sometimes are as hot as 104-105 degrees and keep that temp high through constantly heating, but they are full up to your neck.  Baths are different.  They cool down after being poured, and a lot of your body is not in the water anyway so your whole body doesn't heat up the way it does in a hot tub.  What I did is to change from the hottest possible bath to a slightly cooler bath, and I did fine.  You never get to 102 degrees that way.  The blanket prohibition is not on baths, it is on hot tubs.  The only time they ask you to stop taking a bath is near the end, especially after your mucous plug has come out, so there will be no risk of infection.  They also ask you to step carefully in and out so you won't slip.  And that's about it.
Avatar n tn
safefetus.com is a website that tells about different medications
Avatar n tn
I know, that is why I said NOT BATHS are NOT recommended. You can bath during pregnancy, I do all the time. I just don't have my water as hot as I normally would when I am not pregnant.
I was kinda in favor of who's scientific approach.
Avatar n tn
Just make a list of all of your questions in a notebook. Take it with you and make sure they are all answered. I would use this notebook only for my visits, labs, concerns, moods, etc. You will feel much better after your appt tomorrow ;)
Sorry - I guess it depends on what you define as "hot".  The American Pregnancy Association recommends that a pregnant women does not allow her "core" body temperature to rise above 102.2.  Here is a quote from their website: (http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/hottubs.htm)

"A hot bath, which is not uncomfortable or scalding, is a safer way to relax. In a bath much of your upper body will remain out of the water, making you less likely to overheat. Additionally, the water in a bath begins to cool off, as opposed to a hot tub, further reducing any risk of overheating."

Provided the bath water is below 102 there should not be an issue (I would consider a water temperature of 100 hot).

"Ok, to settle the issue, this afternoon I am going to take a reasonably warm bath, soak for 20 min, and see what my temp is."

Provided the bath water is not hotter than 102 F there is no way your core temperature can rise above 102 F.  If the bath water is hotter than 102 F, it would  be interesting to see what your core temperature is after 20 min of soaking.... Have fun!

"Most people do not have a bath thermometer anyway, and guestimating is notoriously inacurate."

I would not recommend questimating. A standard medical thermometer can be placed into the water to check the water temperature before getting into the bath.  One could also check their body temperature periodically to ensure it doesnt get above 102 F.

"Smoking is not recommended either, but people do it all the time. Most times, everything is fine."

I agree.  Lots of things arent recommended during pregnancy, people do them anyways, and in the majority of cases their are no ill effects on the fetus.  

Also, if a temperature of 102 F was extremely detrimental to the fetus, I would imagine that the rate of problems during pregnancy and with the baby would be  much higher, than it is, due to rise in temperature of women that spike a fever during pregnancy from aliments such as a common cold or virus etc.
KTowne Definitely starting to feel... Comment
Shannon79 commented on renae176's status
MH Community Mgr commented on Bubulous's status
Menstrual Tracker
Track your cycles
Reach your weight goals