vaginal smell after sex - husband wrongly suspects affair

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

I have read a lot on your forum about vaginal smells lingering for days after sex.  For several months my urine has been smelling wierd, and then since the last few weeks the smell of sex lingers on me for at least a day, even though I scrub myself down there.  I am 50, and also I have just started using  scent free soap, so I don't know if either of those have anything to do with it.  Also I have been under a great deal of stress at work (short term contract coming to an end and current boss reducing me to tears with his work demands).  Unfortunately my husband has smelt my vaginal smell at night when we have gone to bed and believes I have had sex with someone at work and come home smelling of it.  He is going to leave me over it. I don't know if anyone has had a similar experience - if so how did they resolve it.  I am of course totally innocent but because this smell only became obvious recently he says he is convinced I am having an affair.  I do hope someone can help.   Unfortunately I suggested he tested it out by seeing how I smelt at the weekend after he had been with me all the time, and wouldn't you know, I didn't smell as bad as normal.  I don;t know if that has something to do with my cycle - I had my period just before the smells started, so I am now mid-cycle.  Hope you can help me!!
Tags: vaginal smell, sex, husband, AFFAIR
Could be an infection. I suggest seeing your gyn for advise. I know after me and my boyfriend have sex, the smell of his fluids and mine make me smell down there too. Sometimes I do have to wash a couple times before it goes away.
When you say, "the smell of sex" lingers, you don't say what that means. Sex involves 2 people, so the "smell" can include the odour of semen, as well. Don't absently rule things out. I have observed that  most complaints of so-called "offensive" smells from a female's vulva or vagina that have been discussed on this site can generally be attributed to two causes:

1) INFECTION: such as BV (bacterial vaginosis), Trich (another bacterial infection), Yeast (rarely smells horrid, but other symptoms occur, such as discharge, redness, itching, etc..), and STD's (serious.. see doc).

2) IGNORANCE: a woman's parts have a natural, normal smell for a reason. Some women fail to realise that their vulvas & vaginas are not naturally inclined to be odour-free, or to have a pine, lemon, or lilac scent. The female genital smell is evident, at least in part, for sexual and reproductive reasons. Men generally enjoy, and are aroused by, the smell of .this.musky aroma, and efforts to eradicate it usually lead to further problems by upsetting the balance of organisms that are there to help you.

So, carol, it's your call as to whether or not you have a real problem or not. You and your Gyno.

Hope I didn't nag

Ali
I am suffering from a smelly discharge no matter how much I keep it clean and change my underwear the smell still comes back,I bath everyday its really upsetiing me as I think that everyone else can smell it and I get very paranoid please can u give me some advice on what u think it is please thanks
hi i have problem too like that after i born my son i always check to my doctor i do papsmer test but its negative..but i smell bad inside the doctor give me capsule that will inserted inside i do it 7days and i cant smell bad its dont have smell but after i stop it and have sex to my partnerthe smell back and the worst is i forgot what the name of that capsule..

i need to know the simple ways how to rid of this bad smell inside..please..