yeast infection and the vinegar/water suggestion

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

i have read posts in the past where some of you have suggested vinegar baths, vinegar water douches to help w. yeast infections.

i feel as if i have a yeast infection coming on and want to nip that in the bud.. asap. i sat in a tub of water w. vinegar (i smell so lovely) but didnt know how long to soak for?

also, how much vinegar and water do i mix for a douche? and how much should i use of it? how can i squirt that mixture up there? is it enough just to squirt the outter parts or do i need to really get up in there w. the solution? i only have a little plastic bottle that has a top that flips open and can get a stream to shoot out but the tip of it is a bit sharp.i did try it and it burned a bit (on the "lips").is it supposed to burn? i did half vinegar and half water.  as you can see, im trying to avoid buying monistat at the drug store ($). i have had yeast infections in the past so i know one is "brewing" in there. please help w. as much detail so i can try it. thanx a bunch.
You can buy commercial vinegar and water douches at the drugstore, or make your own.
Just add a tablespoon or two of vinegar to the warm water you will use-maybe 6-8 oz or so of water.  The purpose is to lower the pH of the water just a little-you don't need to use much.  This may help restore a lower pH to the vagina.  Just put the nozzle in a little ways and flush GENTLY.  

Don't douche frequently!  The vagina doesnt usually need help with housecleaning.  You will need a regular douche bag to do this with, or just buy the commercially prepared vinegar/water stuff.  Don't douche if you are pregnant unless directed to do so by your doctor.  

You can do the same just rinsing the outside with warm water mixed with just a little vinegar--you don't want it to sting!  Just rinse of the outside if you feel the need to.  

I don't think this will cure an established yeast infection, but won't hurt to try once in a great while, if symptoms are just beginning.  Wear loose cotton panties, change often.  Don't use any feminine hygiene stuff like sprays or powder.  No pantiliners.

Good luck.
thanks for getting back to me. i had to break down and go get the monistat cream at walgreens because its getting worse. more itchy,irritated,feels thick/swollen down there and more discharge than earlier. so hopefully it will clear it up soon!! ps: the vinegar felt good initially (as if it were doing something) but just lasted a few hours.
I sometimes get a yeast infection. When I first start to feel one coming on I go straight to the grocery store. Buy lots of yougart, eat 2 or 3 servings a day. It helps if it is not full blown. Also try to make sure you stay dry down there. Sometimes that can lead to irritation that causes yeast infections. Good Luck.
im 15 years old and i think i have a yeast infection because it stinks down there badly  but its not irritated or nething it just stinks....what do i do? im not sexually actice either
Education to all women:
There are two types of yeast infections. One on the inside and one outside around the lips. Ways to tell if you have a yeast infection are signs of itching, burning, and cottage cheese discharge. NO SMELL should occur. If you smell something foul, this is a sign of bacteria. Do not confuse yeast with bacteria. They are two different things. Yeast does not smell. If you start to smell something, this means you might have Bacterial Vaginosis (BV). Yeast infections and BV are treated completely different but easy to fix. Make sure you get the correct diagnosis or the problem will not go away. Your doctor can prescribe the correct antibiotic for you. BV can be caused by wearing tampons too long. The vagina has a Ph of 4 and our blood has a Ph of 7. When wearing a tampon too long, you cause the blood to stay in the vagina causing the Ph to change. This creates bacteria. Make sure to change tampons hourly so this will not occur. A helpful hint to keeping you vagina Ph balance right is to douche ONCE A MONTH ONLY with half water and half vinegar. The mixture is a perfect Ph 4 for the vagina. This information is all true from an OB/GYN doctor in Atlanta. Good luck to you ladies and I wish you good health!

Kelly from Kennesaw, GA
Wow! I was about to respond to Oceans3, but the wisdom & counsel of these ladies above fairly well says it all, and I always concur with the truth! Read the above comments for some good advice. Kelly is so right! BV can also crop up for no particular defineable reason, as it has with me. I attributed it in the past to other illnesses, which led to immuno-deficiency, or to nylon panties & pantyhose. I stopped wearing smothering synthetics, and started using cotton knickers.
I have a burning and painful intercourse for about two years off and on. My GYN dr. said it was bacterial infection (no smell)  yellowish discharge. I had a hysterdertomy  and i guess she thinks its menopause.  She prescribed premarin cream and i still have it, recently i had surgery for diverticulitis and my surgen recommended i use vinagar and water douching for 7 days to see if it clears up.  My question is:  Is that too much douching? Thanks   Sherry
I think I may have a yeast infection... I recently started to get thick white discharge that occcasionally comes out in clumps.. there is no itching or burning tho nor does it smell. Is this a yeast infection? Or just irregular discharge?
Did you find out what it was?