cystic hygroma in pregnancy User Group
Cystic Hygroma at 11wks and 4days
About This Group:

This group is for womem who are pregnant and have been told that their baby has a cystic hygroma. Share your story, show support for others and discuss your concerns.

Founded by Jodee2010 on January 16, 2011
8 members

Cystic Hygroma at 11wks and 4days

Because of a previous miscariage 2 years ago, i have been having alot of blood tests done to monitor my Hormone Levels.  At 11wks i found out that my HL dropped from 70 000 to 56 000.  Because of the previous experience (which also started with hormone drops) I was imediately in tears thinking straight away that I had already lost the baby (again).  

My doctor sent me to have and Ultrasound to confirm.  But when I got there they told me there was still an excellent heart beat of 160bpm and the size of the baby was still good.  I was so extremely confused and emotionally mixed up.  It wasnt until i got back to my GP that I was told about a Cystic Hygroma from the head to the bottom.  My doctor did not have alot to say about it except mentioning Spina Bifida.  I have another blood test this Wednesday then my 13 wk Nucal Scan on the 30th of this month.  I am so scared and dont know what to do.  

Every since my son was born (who is turning 4yrs this month) my husband and I have been trying for another child only to have the miscariage 2 years ago and now having to deal with this pregnancy diagnosed with CH.  I am torn between continuing with the pregnancy  hoping for the issue to go away and terminating the pregnancy.  But with the strong desire and very long wait to fall pregnant, im not sure I can handle termination especially after seeing the scan images showing all body parts and heartbeat.  But then on the other hand my husband and I have always agreed that if notified of any complications during pregnancies  we would hate to bring up a child into this world with disabilities.  We beleive society can be very cruel, financially and emotionally it would be extremely difficult, and the worry of what happens if something were to happen to myself and my husband (god forbid) the child would be left to burden my other two children or put into the care of complete strangers.  Which is something we dont really want to do.  

I guess im hoping someone will post something back that will click in my head as to which way to go, or hopefully god will take in to his/her own hands.  I have had alot of really bad cramping and murky discharge through out this pregnancy, has anyone else experienced the same.
CH, which is now called a Lymphatic Malformation(LM), is very treatable. The size of the LM, extending from the head to the bottom is quite large, if they measured that correctly. I would get a second opinion and get another scan to see exactly what is going on. There are many children with LMs who live normal lives, play sports, go to college, etc. It is not a disabling condition.
Hi there! Sorry you are going through this. It is indeed a very stressful time but there is hope so please dont despair.

I went throught the same and now have a darling litttle boy - 11 weeks old and completely normal. His was a huge 8.4mm at 12 weeks. He now has loose skin on the back of his neck and as yours the fluid basically showed head to bum. There is no membrane or cystic activity in this region.
Do you know the size of the CH and whether or not it is septated? This detail make a huge difference.
I am not sure how far along you are but perhaps consider a CVS or amnio as this could help you in your decision making process.  I ended up having both for different reasons. Please feel free to message me  - I am as non judgemental as they come!!
Hi there, thank you for your reply.  I have had a quick read of one of your links, which is somewhat helpful in an informative way.  I have a neucal scan booked for tomorrow morning so i will find out more then.  My doc didnt actually tell me the exact measurements just that he explained that on the scan it shows from head to bum.
Let us know how the scan goes.

If you need more information or a list of doctors familiar with this condition, let me know. I have a lot of resources that I have found over the years that I trust compared to a lot of random incorrect info found all over the web.
asigun joined this group
Welcome them!
08/12
Whereto is now contemplating a pote... Comment
07/12
misweetie004 joined this group
Welcome them!
02/12