582?1266239308
recovery after vitamin D deficiency User Group
Vit D, magnesium, and calcium
About This Group:

Feel free to tell your story,Let's hear your experience.

Founded by bisan on February 15, 2010
295 members

Vit D, magnesium, and calcium

I am new to this forum and just found out my level is 14. Doctor put me on Vit D3 5000 IU per day but I am reading on here I should also take magnesium and calcium. How much of magnesium and how much calcium do you all take?
Hello! When I was originally diagnosed, my level was an 8.  The original doc I saw simply put me on 50,000 iu twice a week.  However, I was retested by an endo doc and he had me to take the 50,000 iu twice a week along with 250 mg magnesium once a day and calcium citrate three times a day (630mg).  
Thanks, I added magnesium 300 mg, and calcium 600 mg, plus a multi with a little extra....hoping to feel better soon!
I started taking 10,000IU D3 about 2 months ago. I started feeling a lot better, but then had a panic attack with chest pains and heart palpitations. I have never had a panic attack, so I did some research (after folks at the ER had no idea what was wrong) and realized that high levels of D can expose - and sometimes create a magnesium deficiency. I immediately began taking magnesium and started feeling better in 24 hours. I now take ~ 500 mg of magnesium, depending on what I eat and ~ 1,000 mg of calcium, again, largely depending on what I eat. With the added synergy of magnesium, I am feeling pretty amazing. I am not sure, though, what my ratio should be once my levels of D are optimal.
Here's a good site for up-to-date recommendations of all supplements. Linus Pauling won two nobel prizes and was a pioneer in nutrition research; the info on the site summarizes the latest research and gives recommended supplement levels that are often more up-to-date and informed than simple %RDA.

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/vitamins/vitaminD/

Their recommendation for normal adult females (not vit D def) is 320 mg Mg, 2000 IU D3/day, and 1200 mg Ca per day. Recommended serum levels 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels of 80 nmol/L (32 ng/mL) for optimal bone health (reduced risk of fractures).
What brand and what type of Magnesium do you take?
ChitChatNine is happy! Comment
Jul 22
Djg1028 joined this group
Welcome them!
Jul 21
mambojazz commented on THE HEALING CRISIS IN...
Jul 20