Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
99052 tn?1270983520

anyone still taking Sho-saiko-to and loving it

anyone try the japan herb Sho-saiko-to.I read some good things about it awhile back.Just wondered if anyone was using it while they wait for better TX drugs.
14 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
yep, that's exactly what I get.
Helpful - 0
Hi OceanLiver

I found this link:  Is it similar to what you take?
http://www.lef.org/newshop/items/item00656.html

Thanks
Helpful - 0
I am using a product called Hepatopro by Life Extesion.  It is Polyunsaturated Phosphatidylcholine  also called polyenlphosphatidylcholine.  It has been recommended to me by the Hepatitis Researcher.  In the past few years, over and over again, different practitioners have recommended this form of lethicin for my Hep C.  In fact about 40 years ago when i had Hep A, I was told that all I could do was rest, try to eat and take lethicin.    

Helpful - 0
Thanks for that info.
Helpful - 0

This article did mention Rhone-Poulenc Rorer.

I went and googled it
Helpful - 0
86075 tn?1238115091
on herbs, appreciate it folks, I also saw my markers (alts and asts) go up when I went off my regimen, stinkers don't work unless your on them...I thought that Liv52 was too strong for me...didn't like it for myself...I also only use licorice very sparingly, it makes me feel a bit speedy...so I take it just once in awhile...even Sam-E makes me feel a bit speedy, I just have a sensitive system...
Helpful - 0
I was taking this, but stopped 2 months prior to starting treatment.  I would be a little concerned, about taking this drug, as the Pegasys leaflet that comes with my meds says very specifically not to take this particular Chinese Herb.  This is the only Herb listed specifically as having a drug interaction with the Peg, which leads me to believe that there is a reason for this.

Daylyn
Helpful - 0
Very good discussion, thanks you guys.

We did not cover another supplement.

Polyunsaturated PhosphatidylCholine(PPC)

http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=2313111
Helpful - 0
The flyer from the Honos companys specifically says NOT to take it with interferon.  Can cause problems.  Good on its own, but not with the combo.  
It's the bulplurum that causes the problems.
Helpful - 0
I use it, with the grudging approval of my hepatologist.  He read the literature on it, reviewed my blood work,  and thought thata it sounded promising. He is  skeptical about alternative meds, but is knowledable and  forward thinking in his approach to traditional meds, so he was not initially supportive but becam more convinced as he checked out dome facts.  He is the lead hepatologist at a major NY hospital with a TP unit.  

When I was  using the SST, it did normalize or significnalty lowered "liver markers" (alt, ast, ggtp, bilirubin a/g ratio, etc.)  I recently stopped for a few months, to check efficacy and give the body a break from it, and the  blood work went increasingly out of range.  I just resumed the protocol and will have new blood work drawn in a week or two. There is a warning regarding those with cirrhosis and low platelet count, which I have been told is due to the licorice in the formula possibly increasing portal hypertension.  It was being studied at Sloan Kettering hospital in NY, and also at the University of California at San Diego, but I have been unable to find any results of these studies.  I did contact the study coordinator at UCSD, since they are/were using it with cirrhotics, and was informed that they have not seen any problems in terms of portal hypertension and platelet counts.   I was not, however, able to get any recent data on the study.  

Finally, I  definitely would not use this, or any other herbs  if I was not being monitored by a knowlegable liver doc.
Helpful - 0
I'm just an ignorant layman, but these guys from the Mayo Clinic are pretty smart and say this about herbs and liver disease:

Use of herbal supplements for chronic liver disease.
Levy C, Seeff LD, Lindor KD.
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Mayo Clinic Rochester, Minnesota 55905, USA.

BACKGROUND & AIMS: Complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) is becoming popular among patients with liver disease. Although there is a growing body of evidence regarding potential mechanisms of action of these and other herbs, caution must be used to interpret the results of the few clinical trials available. Our goal was to discuss the biologic rationale for the use of specific herbs (silymarin, glycyrrhizin, sho-saiko-to, Phyllanthus amarus , Picrorrhiza kurroa , Compound 861, CH-100, and LIV.52) in the treatment of chronic liver diseases, as well as the evidence for their efficacy and adverse effects according to clinical trials. METHODS: Because of the relative paucity of clinical studies using herbs, every trial published in English was reviewed. RESULTS: Although many trials suggest that these herbs can decrease serum transaminase levels, the effects on hepatic histopathology and long-term survival are either poorly studied or conflicting.

LIV.52 has been withdrawn from the market because of deleterious effects in patients with liver disease. [Promoted only last week by an enlightened person just trying to help.]

CONCLUSIONS: Based on current evidence, we cannot recommend the use of herbal supplements for the routine treatment of any chronic liver disease and further well-designed clinical trials are necessary.
Helpful - 0
I might take it under a doctor's supervision with frequent labs:

Acute hepatitis induced by Chinese hepatoprotective herb, xiao-chai-hu-tang.
Department of Medicine, Taipei Veterans General Hospital, National Yang-Ming University School of Medicine, Taiwan, ROC.

Xiao-chai-hu-tang (syo-saiko-to in Japanese) is a herbal remedy that has been widely used in China for treatment of respiratory, hepatobiliary, and gastrointestinal diseases, particularly among patients with chronic liver disease. However, its safety has recently been challenged. We, herein, report a Chinese patient with acute hepatitis induced by this herb. A 52-year-old woman presented with weakness, fatigue, and tea-colored urine after continual consumption of the decoction of xiao-chai-hu-tang for 1.5 months. Laboratory studies disclosed acute hepatitis even though all of the viral hepatitis markers were negative. Liver biopsy also revealed a picture of acute hepatocellular hepatitis. The symptoms improved after discontinuing the drug, and liver biochemical tests normalized 2 months later. The case report reminds us of the probable adverse drug reaction of herbs, even in some that are claimed to have hepatoprotective effects.
Helpful - 0
Very good question.

They do have a good disclaimer which will answer the question.

http://www.shosaikoto.com/cautions.php
Helpful - 0
I'm not familiar with this herb.Is it used by some while tx or just for those who are waiting to tx or choose not to tx?
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Hepatitis C Community

Top Hepatitis Answerers
317787 tn?1473358451
DC
683231 tn?1467323017
Auburn, WA
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Answer a few simple questions about your Hep C treatment journey.

Those who qualify may receive up to $100 for their time.
Explore More In Our Hep C Learning Center
image description
Learn about this treatable virus.
image description
Getting tested for this viral infection.
image description
3 key steps to getting on treatment.
image description
4 steps to getting on therapy.
image description
What you need to know about Hep C drugs.
image description
How the drugs might affect you.
image description
These tips may up your chances of a cure.
Popular Resources
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.